PDA

View Full Version : Should the Broncos trade Brandon Marshall?

CrazyHorse
02-22-2010, 12:04 AM
Simple question. Answer it.

BroncoWave
02-22-2010, 12:18 AM
This is much more complicated than a yes or no question. If we get a great deal, yes. If not, no.

WARHORSE
02-22-2010, 12:41 AM
If we get value, then yes. Value being at least a first and third, or a top 15 draft pick.

Trade the flash, get the smash.

If not, try to sign him to a worthy deal. A tradable deal. If that doesnt work, then play him at the tag, and do it over again next year.

Carl
02-22-2010, 12:52 AM
Im hoping for a 1st and a 3rd. This team needs a lot of talented players and the positions we need the most were gonna find in the late 1st round.

Elevation inc
02-22-2010, 03:51 AM
no unless we get a surefire 1st and third offer.....in any case if another team really wants him all they have to do is sign him to a higher tender offer and give us the first and third.....im pretty sure we wont trade him though.....

Lonestar
02-22-2010, 04:03 AM
While I voted yes, I really want him put up as a the highest tender that means the team that tenders him a deal gives us their 1st and 3rd pick in the upcoming draft.

If no one does then he is ours for next year at about 3.3mil or 50% over last years contract.

If someone tenders him a contract then we also have 7 days to match it and he is ours for the duration of it.

Personally I think he needs out of DEN for a bunch of reasons. Let him go if the price is right.

He still gets a reasonable salary and we have someone if he does not get into trouble again.

Now if someone comes in and offers more than a #1 and #3, before the season then let him go, in a heart beat.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
02-22-2010, 04:39 AM
While I voted yes, I really want him put up as a the highest tender that means the team that tenders him a deal gives us their 1st and 3rd pick in the upcoming draft.

If no one does then he is ours for next year at about 3.3mil or 50% over last years contract.

If someone tenders him a contract then we also have 7 days to match it and he is ours for the duration of it.

Personally I think he needs out of DEN for a bunch of reasons. Let him go if the price is right.

He still gets a reasonable salary and we have someone if he does not get into trouble again.

Now if someone comes in and offers more than a #1 and #3, before the season then let him go, in a heart beat.

I agree with all of that, my sentiment exactly.

CoachChaz
02-22-2010, 08:38 AM
It would actually be nice if we were offered a 1st and 3rd for Marshall AND Doom. I dont want 3 firsts, but 2 of then could be dealt for other picks in the 2nd, 3rd and next year. We could fill alot of holes with solid young players that way and not really lose too much in production if the selections were smart.

But if we dont get a "valid" offer for either of them...keep them here.

SR
02-22-2010, 08:50 AM
No.

Broncolingus
02-22-2010, 08:53 AM
Yes...

SR
02-22-2010, 08:56 AM
You shut up.

atwater27
02-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Get rid of his bitch ass.

broncofaninfla
02-22-2010, 09:19 AM
Keep him. Our current offense is not very good as is, it would be even worse with Marshall out of the equation.

claymore
02-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Sell high. I dont think we are a marshall away from anything. Hopefully our front office is better than I think it is. And we can take advantage of all these picks.

CoachChaz
02-22-2010, 09:52 AM
What about dealing him to TB for their picks #35 and #43? That would give us 3 picks within the top 15 picks of the 2nd round.

Italianmobstr7
02-22-2010, 10:00 AM
No don't trade him. He's our best player and without him our offense will be even worse than it was.

claymore
02-22-2010, 10:24 AM
What about dealing him to TB for their picks #35 and #43? That would give us 3 picks within the top 15 picks of the 2nd round.

In a heart beat.

Mike
02-22-2010, 10:35 AM
I heard on the radio this morning that Marshall is saying he wants out of Denver because of the emotional trauma with the death of Williams. The way I see it, get compensation for him while you can. When he can leave, he will.

Nomad
02-22-2010, 10:51 AM

I remember I asked that question not too long ago because someone at MHR came up with it (I believe). So many are saying Balt. but (I know the 'smoke and mirrors' by any team) they've came out and said they wouldn't tender a first and third. I wish Brandon would be a completely different person and we could keep him because of his talents so this team can move on and focus on the lines rather than getting rid of him and possibly drafting a WO to replace him!!

SOCALORADO.
02-22-2010, 11:04 AM

Ive also considered this after seeing it in a mock. Really well done too! Its not a bad idea, and DEN gets alot of ammo to play with.
I would hope that DEN made the trade DURING the draft, just before pick
#35, not allowing other teams to be prepared for what is coming.
This would really create confusion, and make alot of teams have to scramble with DEN picking yet again shortly after.
Honestly this is a great idea, and i will look for the mock.

SOCALORADO.
02-22-2010, 11:06 AM
I heard on the radio this morning that Marshall is saying he wants out of Denver because of the emotional trauma with the death of Williams. The way I see it, get compensation for him while you can. When he can leave, he will.

I heard on the radio this morning that Marshall is saying he wants out of Denver because of _________________(PLEASE FILL IN EXCUSE HERE). The way I see it, get compensation for him while you can. When he can leave, he will.

This guy and his agent are too slick.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-22-2010, 11:23 AM
At first, I hated the idea, but now I'm warming up to this one:

Send him to Seattle for our first round pick back and Deion Branch. Branch can't stay healthy, but he knows McDaniels and his system. Branch's production has suffered in Seattle, but he's still a character locker room guy. Marshall and Who'syourmama in Seattle could be just what Matt Hasselbeck needs to get back to pro-bowl shape. It also allows them to spend their other picks on the O-line to protect Hasselbeck.

I think that's about as fair as it gets. I don't think anybody will give up a first and third, but a first and a player that is overpaid and underused in their system but might be useful in ours might just be the way to go.

The bottom line is, if McDaniels believes Marshall is a distraction, then I want him to leave. I'd rather lose Marshall's highlight reel ridden, 10 TD having, 100+ catches if it means we're not in the media every week looking like dysfunctional tool bags.

Nomad
02-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Now it sounds like he is trying to use the DW tragedy as a crutch to get out of here. Looks like he'll try anything and everything to get out of here even though it's pathetic!! Why is he coming out now with all the emotion....I call BS!! Obviously, he doesn't want to be a BRONCO so get the best value and hopefully one of these teams bite especially that TB rumor!!

Denver Native (Carol)
02-22-2010, 11:28 AM

I am sure that whoever stated this on the radio this morning, is somewhat fabricating the article I posted yesterday by Klis in regards to Darrent's trial coming up this week. From the article, the ONLY thing in regards to Brandon wanting to leave Denver because of Darrent's death is the following:

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14441207

"I have never spoken to Marshall about that tragic night of Dec. 31, 2006-Jan. 1, 2007. I have spoken to several people close to Marshall, and they all say Williams' murder continues to torment him."

So, even if the several people Klis spoke to, if he even did, said that William's murder continues to torment Brandon, WHERE does that indicate that he wants to leave Denver????

Traveler
02-22-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm at the point now where I just want this settled one way or the other.

If the team or Marshall are ready to move in different directions, make it happen. Get what they can and continue to rebuild. What his value truly is will be determined once he's gone.

Conversely, if they decide to take the chance on Marshall and pay him, just do it.

Whichever way this goes, JUST LET IT BE OVER!

T.K.O.
02-22-2010, 12:06 PM
it absolutely depends on wether or not marshall wants to be here....we will know soon enough.
if he really wants out and we could get seattles 1st and branch....hell yeah.
we could then get bryant and a top DE or DT and still have our 2-3 rnd picks for o-line
if he just wants a contract and will play hard for the team (as he has done) then pay the man .

Traveler
02-22-2010, 12:16 PM
it absolutely depends on wether or not marshall wants to be here....we will know soon enough.
if he really wants out and we could get seattles 1st and branch....hell yeah.
we could then get bryant and a top DE or DT and still have our 2-3 rnd picks for o-line
if he just wants a contract and will play hard for the team (as he has done) then pay the man .

I like eveything you mention except acquiring Branch. The only Branch I'd look at possibly getting is Alan Branch from AZ. We need more bodies at NT. I know he hasn't distinguished himself in AZ, but he's better than anyone we now have on the roster.

So, if trading Brandon can get us and 1st & 4th in return from SEA, then ship that 4th to AZ for Branch (assuming AZ wants to deal him) then count me in.

Ravage!!!
02-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Sell high. I dont think we are a marshall away from anything. Hopefully our front office is better than I think it is. And we can take advantage of all these picks.

This is true ifyou believe that two in the bush is better than one in the hand.

Personally, we can say that about every talented player on the team. If we keep getting rid of our building blocks, we have nothing to build with. Instead, we have a bunch of picks, and still having to build.

I would rather keep the proven, talented, players and build WITH them and around them rather than attempting to use those gained picks to replace them. Replacing never works.

Northman
02-22-2010, 01:11 PM

:lol:

And just last week he said he wanted to stay. See what i mean, the guy can never make up his mind on what he wants to do. He is just a head case and we need to unload him and start getting "McD" type players in here. Lord knows i dont want McD to succeed with "Shanny" talent.

Lonestar
02-22-2010, 01:38 PM
Why not get a first for him and a third.. and use that other first for a better choice or for those of you that believe another first os to much money. trade it of a couple more 2 and 3s that way we have 6 choice inside the top one hundred instead of 4.

Lonestar
02-22-2010, 01:42 PM
No don't trade him. He's our best player and without him our offense will be even worse than it was. did you ever stop to think that he was the target because he was convinent and Orton took the easy pass to him. Or the calls were made that way?

Note in the last game where he was benched gaffney lit it up for the game high catches.

The scheme is designed to get WR open. Someone else will step up.

claymore
02-22-2010, 01:44 PM
This is true ifyou believe that two in the bush is better than one in the hand.

Personally, we can say that about every talented player on the team. If we keep getting rid of our building blocks, we have nothing to build with. Instead, we have a bunch of picks, and still having to build.

I would rather keep the proven, talented, players and build WITH them and around them rather than attempting to use those gained picks to replace them. Replacing never works.

I dont think McD can handle Marshals ego. Marshal will never conform to a 1940's mentality like JMCD wants.

I think everyone benifits by Marshall leaving.

I just cant see anything ending well if Marshall stays. Id rather get picks for a player than nothing.

T.K.O.
02-22-2010, 01:53 PM
:lol:

And just last week he said he wanted to stay. See what i mean, the guy can never make up his mind on what he wants to do. He is just a head case and we need to unload him and start getting "McD" type players in here. Lord knows i dont want McD to succeed with "Shanny" talent.

what was said on the radio was more than likely a repeat of when he told friends that he wanted out of denver because he was still struggling with what happened to DW ,not a recent statement that he wants out of denver.
he hasnt made any recent public comments on wether or not he wants to stay other than the "willing to do whatever the organization decides"

Lonestar
02-22-2010, 01:55 PM
what was said on the radio was more than likely a repeat of when he told friends that he wanted out of denver because he was still struggling with what happened to DW ,not a recent statement that he wants out of denver.
he hasnt made any recent public comments on wether or not he wants to stay other than the "willing to do whatever the organization decides"

Which is agent speak for trade me to anywhere but here.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Now it sounds like he is trying to use the DW tragedy as a crutch to get out of here. Looks like he'll try anything and everything to get out of here even though it's pathetic!! Why is he coming out now with all the emotion....I call BS!! Obviously, he doesn't want to be a BRONCO so get the best value and hopefully one of these teams bite especially that TB rumor!!

Please read this article: No where is Brandon stating anything - it is Klis opinion, and supposedly a couple sources he talked with:

Here is article:

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14441207

From article:

"I believe we are confronting what has been an unspoken, but monumental, reason why the great receiver has long been uncomfortable playing in Denver."

unspoken - speaks for itself

AND

"A deeper truth about Marshall, though, is he has been left emotionally scarred by Williams' murder in the wee hours of Jan. 1, 2007. Marshall was with Williams minutes before his Broncos teammate and good friend died almost instantly from a bullet wound to the neck."

It is ONLY a deeper truth if Brandon came out and stated this, NOT a deeper truth because this is Klis opinion

AND

"I have never spoken to Marshall about that tragic night of Dec. 31, 2006-Jan. 1, 2007. I have spoken to several people close to Marshall, and they all say Williams' murder continues to torment him."

Klis STATES he has never spoken to Brandon; however the several people close to Brandon all say Williams' murder continues to torment him.

REALLY - why would it NOT torment him?????? It bothers me as a fan - OF COURSE it continues to torment Brandon, and I am sure it torments all of those who were teammates, coaches, etc. since this happened. Is this out of the ordinary - I think not.

Brandon is not coming out with all of this EMOTION - it is ONLY a sportswriter's opinion.

Ziggy
02-22-2010, 02:06 PM
Tender him for a 1st and 3rd, and hope another team bites. If not, he plays here next season for about 3 million. If you want to keep him after that, then franchise him or sign him to a new contract next season. In reality, any top 15 pick would be great, even without the 3rd.

Nomad
02-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Regardless, I believe Klis and Marshall will play this to his advantage!! DW thing was a tragedy but time has moved on Hopefully his murderers get the due justice they deserve! And I don't believe for one minute that Marshall is greiving like it sounds, he just wants out of Denver and trying to remain the good guy. Hopefully DWs murderers get the due justice they deserve!

Lonestar
02-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Tender him for a 1st and 3rd, and hope another team bites. If not, he plays here next season for about 3 million. If you want to keep him after that, then franchise him or sign him to a new contract next season. In reality, any top 15 pick would be great, even without the 3rd.

actually IIRC there could be up to TWO RFA years for those under 6 years player IF there is not another lockout.

Which would mean if there is not lockout he would get another 50% raise after that brining him to about just under 5mil a year. or a first and a third should someone want him.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-22-2010, 02:55 PM
Regardless, I believe Klis and Marshall will play this to his advantage!! DW thing was a tragedy but time has moved on Hopefully his murderers get the due justice they deserve! And I don't believe for one minute that Marshall is greiving like it sounds, he just wants out of Denver and trying to remain the good guy. Hopefully DWs murderers get the due justice they deserve!

First - if you read the article - it is SOLELY Klis - NOT Brandon, and if it sounds like Marshall is grieving - AGAIN - that is Klis. I have never read where Klis and Brandon are the "best of buddies", so why would they team up, and FABRICATE a story? This is a sportswriter stating his OPINION ONLY.

arapaho2
02-22-2010, 05:21 PM
did you ever stop to think that he was the target because he was convinent and Orton took the easy pass to him. Or the calls were made that way?

Note in the last game where he was benched gaffney lit it up for the game high catches.

The scheme is designed to get WR open. Someone else will step up.

marshall has been producing those numbers since he came into the league

gaff had a good game...big differance between one good game and year after year consistancy...and if you feel his one good game means its ok to lose our star wr... your knowledge is suspect

WARHORSE
02-22-2010, 05:46 PM
It would actually be nice if we were offered a 1st and 3rd for Marshall AND Doom. I dont want 3 firsts, but 2 of then could be dealt for other picks in the 2nd, 3rd and next year. We could fill alot of holes with solid young players that way and not really lose too much in production if the selections were smart.

But if we dont get a "valid" offer for either of them...keep them here.

I pretty much agree because while I love Doom, he is not an every down player.

This draft is full of talent. Use the picks not only to get players, but to stockpile picks in the future.

Get rid of the FLASH.......bring in the SMASH. Id rather have dominance at the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

WARHORSE
02-22-2010, 06:05 PM
marshall has been producing those numbers since he came into the league

gaff had a good game...big differance between one good game and year after year consistancy...and if you feel his one good game means its ok to lose our star wr... your knowledge is suspect

Really?

Gaffneys production when called upon has been stellar.

Going for 213 yds as a receiver is no walk in the park, and average players dont do that.

Look at Gaffneys gamelogs from the last 6 games of his time in New England, and you'll see that he has more than been adequate.

If anything, Gaffney should play more and be targeted more.

arapaho2
02-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Really?

Gaffneys production when called upon has been stellar.

Going for 213 yds as a receiver is no walk in the park, and average players dont do that.

Look at Gaffneys gamelogs from the last 6 games of his time in New England, and you'll see that he has more than been adequate.

If anything, Gaffney should play more and be targeted more.

his career has been nothing of interest..a solid #2 at best....why just the last six games??.that doesnt prove he is a true #1 any more then one good game with the broncos does

were not talking dropping marshall for a A Boldin here...its a two time probowl wr...for a career #2...big drop in talent

last three seasons alone

marshall...307 rec....3710 yards..23 tds..2 probowls

vrs gaffenys career numbers..7 seasons

310 rec...3800 yards...17 tds

yea im not impressed and certainly dont believe gaff will be able to match marshall as our #1

DenBronx
02-22-2010, 07:08 PM
I would like to tender our coach for a 6-pack.

WARHORSE
02-22-2010, 07:42 PM
his career has been nothing of interest..a solid #2 at best....why just the last six games??.that doesnt prove he is a true #1 any more then one good game with the broncos does

were not talking dropping marshall for a A Boldin here...its a two time probowl wr...for a career #2...big drop in talent

last three seasons alone

marshall...307 rec....3710 yards..23 tds..2 probowls

vrs gaffenys career numbers..7 seasons

310 rec...3800 yards...17 tds

yea im not impressed and certainly dont believe gaff will be able to match marshall as our #1

Im not comparing him to Brandon in saying hes the same. Gaffney, like McCaffrey has had to work at his craft.

Im not talkin about the last six games. 2007 he was playing behind Moss and Welker.

I would venture to say that this years numbers have more to do with Orton and Marshall than with Gaffney. Look at Royals numbers as well.

For a third WR, Gaffney has produced big time.

He is not a number one, but he is no slouch either.

Gaffneys game has grown over time, and he is definitely an asset.

Marshall can take the high road as far as Im concerned.

Id rather sink my money into good players along the line of scrimmage than anywhere else.

This offense doesnt need any stars at the WR position.

We need a smash mouth offense with a smash mouth defense.

Our running game needs to be dominant, along with the defensive line. With that, we can win with Orton at QB.........without Brandon.

Take a page out of the JETS page book of how to play. Run, run, run, run, run, pass.........sack, Int, fumble rec.

arapaho2
02-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Im not comparing him to Brandon in saying hes the same. Gaffney, like McCaffrey has had to work at his craft.

Im not talkin about the last six games. 2007 he was playing behind Moss and Welker.

I would venture to say that this years numbers have more to do with Orton and Marshall than with Gaffney. Look at Royals numbers as well.

For a third WR, Gaffney has produced big time.

He is not a number one, but he is no slouch either.

Gaffneys game has grown over time, and he is definitely an asset.

Marshall can take the high road as far as Im concerned.

Id rather sink my money into good players along the line of scrimmage than anywhere else.

This offense doesnt need any stars at the WR position.

We need a smash mouth offense with a smash mouth defense.

Our running game needs to be dominant, along with the defensive line. With that, we can win with Orton at QB.........without Brandon.

Take a page out of the JETS page book of how to play. Run, run, run, run, run, pass.........sack, Int, fumble rec.

show me a dominate offense..without a star wr???

as for gaff...again the n otion was we can let marshall walk cause we have gaffney

gaffney is not..will not..or ever will be a true #1wr

you said look at his last six games with NE...now your not talking about them?:confused:

he couldnt produce with billy miller, james allen...cory bradford ..infact stayed behind them..in fact it wasnt until his last season with houston that broke the lineup

in 2006 he was tenth in rec for NE...behind some greats like reche caldwell....a ancient troy brown...not only could he not produce...but was buried by bad talent

he's had his chance to prove he's a #1 wr...never could do it..thats why denver was his third team in his 7th season

im not putting our offense in his hands

T.K.O.
02-23-2010, 11:58 AM
show me a dominate offense..without a star wr???

one could argue that the colts and saints dont have one specific "star" reciever.
they both did ok

CoachChaz
02-23-2010, 12:02 PM
one could argue that the colts and saints dont have one specific "star" reciever.
they both did ok

I'd have to say that Wayne and Clark are stars. As far as NO...I guess it'd be easy to argue that Colston isnt quite a "star" yet. but I think most would take him ahead of Gaffney any day

T.K.O.
02-23-2010, 12:07 PM
I'd have to say that Wayne and Clark are stars. As far as NO...I guess it'd be easy to argue that Colston isnt quite a "star" yet. but I think most would take him ahead of Gaffney any day

but they are more a product of an offense firing on all cylinders than spectacular playmakers.
my point is in the right system with the right qb royal,gaffney and stokes could (and have)produced very similar #s to those guys.
meaning the arguement that a team needs a marshall,t.o. type #1 guy is really not true.
teams come out of nowhere every year without a "superstar" reciever.
dont get me wrong....it does'nt hurt to have a beast wr but it is possible to be a dominant offense w/o one as well !

Mike
02-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Did the teams with true "star" WRs win the SB this year...the year before that...and the year before that? What was the last team to win with a truly "star" WR? NO with Colston...who had about 200 yards and 1 TD in the playoffs. Before that...Indy with Harrison/Wayne?

Having a star WR is a nice thing to have, but more SBs are won with a solid QB, RB, O-line, and good defense. Denver needs to make those their priority and if trading a guy who doesn't really want to be here will help solidify the o-line, the defense, or QB then sign me up.

CoachChaz
02-23-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm not arguing that it's impossible to win without a superstar WR. NO just proved that, as have Pittsburgh and the Giants before them. But it does help to have very good receivers. Do Gaffney, Royal and Stokely hold up to Holmes, Ward, Burress, Colston?

Not really.

With no option to updrade in any way if we lose Marshal...I'm not interested in losing him just yet

arapaho2
02-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Did the teams with true "star" WRs win the SB this year...the year before that...and the year before that? What was the last team to win with a truly "star" WR? NO with Colston...who had about 200 yards and 1 TD in the playoffs. Before that...Indy with Harrison/Wayne?

Having a star WR is a nice thing to have, but more SBs are won with a solid QB, RB, O-line, and good defense. Denver needs to make those their priority and if trading a guy who doesn't really want to be here will help solidify the o-line, the defense, or QB then sign me up.

saints...colston is a star wr

pittt...hines ward is a star

giants...plexico burris..star

colts...harrisen and wayne..stars

pitt.....ward...star

those are the last five superbowl winners

you all are confusing the fact that gaffney had one great game with him being a true #1 wr and capable of replacing marshall without our offense suffering

he isnt..he cant ..and it will

T.K.O.
02-23-2010, 12:52 PM
i'm not confused....losing marshall would be a bad thing
but many teams do better than 8-8 w/o a top 5 reciever in the league.
so its hard to say we would not find a way to be a better team w/o bm.
i want him to stay....but only if he can be happy in denver.he has shown that when he's not happy he can hurt the teams chemistry.
if he is happy he can be a beast and help .

CoachChaz
02-23-2010, 12:54 PM

pitt.....ward...star

you all are confusing the fact that gaffney had one great game with him being a true #1 wr and capable of replacing marshall without our offense suffering

Let's take it easy on our definition of a "star". I agree with you that you need at least quality talent at the WR position, but Ward, Burress and Colston are "stars"? I think that's pushing it a bit.

When I think star, I think Fitzgerald, A.Johnson, Wayne, Marshall, Moss, Welker...

Plaxico was very good, but not elite. Ward can still produce and catch 7-8 yard outs all day, but I dont know that I'd call him elite.

Mike
02-23-2010, 12:59 PM

pitt.....ward...star

I disagree.

Hines Ward is a possession WR and on the down side of his career. How instramental was he in the Pitt SB wins? RB and def won one and a non-star WR with defense helped win the other.

Giants...defense and a non-star WR won theirs.

I will give you the Colts as I pointed them out in my first response.

In all honesty, unless the Broncos fix the o-line who plays at WR makes no difference.

A stud WR is a nice asset, I agree with that. If they can keep Marshall and keep him happy and fix the holes (the o-line in particular) then I am all for it. But if they can't keep him happy or if they can use him in a trade to fix the holes, then I am all for getting rid of him too.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-23-2010, 06:31 PM

I've actually been wondering why Tampa hasn't been mentioned much here. They NEED a real WR and have a QB who could be very good. They too have plenty of holes to fill, but they really need a weapon on the outside.

Only problem is if they do give up the #3, a 3rd rounder and Josh Johnson to StL for the #1 (which is in discussions), then they'd have Suh, Marshall and no picks til round 4.

arapaho2
02-23-2010, 06:47 PM
Let's take it easy on our definition of a "star". I agree with you that you need at least quality talent at the WR position, but Ward, Burress and Colston are "stars"? I think that's pushing it a bit.

When I think star, I think Fitzgerald, A.Johnson, Wayne, Marshall, Moss, Welker...

Plaxico was very good, but not elite. Ward can still produce and catch 7-8 yard outs all day, but I dont know that I'd call him elite.

ward...over his career even the years as a run first team

ave..74 rec per season...912 yards per season..6.5 tds per season

andre..83.....................1135................ .........6

welker..88.....................961................ .........2.6

wayne..75.....................1043................ .......7

if those guys are your elite...and ward isnt elite...you might wanna refigure

SmilinAssasSin27
02-23-2010, 06:56 PM
I've been saying this for a year now. You can win w/ VERY GOOD WRs. You don't need the elite types. TO has never helped his teams get anywhere worth noting. Randy Moss has helped his squads...but no rings. Fitzgerald. Calvin Johnson. Andre Johnson. Ochocinco. What do they all have in common? No jewelry. Sure some stud WRs have won some...Irvin, Rice, Holt, Harrison. But plenty more are without. Championship teams throughout time have been comprised of the Hines Wards, Rod Smiths, Santonio Holmes, and Joe Jurevicious of the world. Anyone even remember who NE had playing at WR when they got 3 rings?

SmilinAssasSin27
02-23-2010, 07:47 PM
I was just trolling around a Bucs message board and there seems to be a blog out there in cyberspace discussing us getting both of their #2s and their #5 for BM. I'm sure just pure speculation, but interesting enough. I'd say sign me up.

That'd give us 4 picks in the top 45. A WR, DT and 2 OLinemen? Then a MLB like Norwood in round 3? I'd be giddy.

Nomad
02-23-2010, 07:55 PM
I was just trolling around a Bucs message board and there seems to be a blog out there in cyberspace discussing us getting both of their #2s and their #5 for BM. I'm sure just pure speculation, but interesting enough. I'd say sign me up.

That'd give us 4 picks in the top 45. A WR, DT and 2 OLinemen? Then a MLB like Norwood in round 3? I'd be giddy.

This has been floating around for a few weeks now!!

Here's something interesting king or silk wrote today!! #3 overall would mean Tampa Bay!!

What happens when a talent comes along the teams feel might be a sure thing at that position? They likely go #1 overall, likely Suh. There's already been reported 1 team that are offering there #3 overall, a third rounder, and a QB to move up to #1 to draft him (SUH).[/QUOTE]

Ziggy
02-23-2010, 10:03 PM
This has been floating around for a few weeks now!!

Here's something interesting king or silk wrote today!! #3 overall would mean Tampa Bay!!

What happens when a talent comes along the teams feel might be a sure thing at that position? They likely go #1 overall, likely Suh. There's already been reported 1 team that are offering there #3 overall, a third rounder, and a QB to move up to #1 to draft him (SUH).

That came out 2 days ago. Another rumor started by the media. The GM of the Rams says that he has had no conversations with the Bucs. I love draft rumors, they spread like wildfire, regardless of validity.

CoachChaz
02-24-2010, 08:06 AM
A legit rumor is Detroit actively shopping the #2 pick

Nomad
02-24-2010, 08:34 AM
That came out 2 days ago. Another rumor started by the media. The GM of the Rams says that he has had no conversations with the Bucs. I love draft rumors, they spread like wildfire, regardless of validity.

Rumors, 'smoke and mirrors', it's creates conversation and what else is there to do!! IMO, they should move the draft to the middle of March instead end of April!

CoachChaz
02-24-2010, 08:45 AM
Rumors, 'smoke and mirrors', it's creates conversation and what else is there to do!! IMO, they should move the draft to the middle of March instead end of April!

Current date gives teams time to fill needs through FA.

Lonestar
02-24-2010, 03:08 PM
just think if they moved the draft up then the uber stars could not get their private workouts in.

Nomad
03-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Here's a shocker!!:coffee: Chicago has nothing to offer this year unless they have 2 2nd rounders and a 5th!!

Rumors abound that Bears want Brandon Marshall
Posted by Michael David Smith on March 3, 2010 10:45 AM ET
Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall says he's willing to stay in Denver this year, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen says he wants to keep Marshall and Broncos coach Josh McDaniels thinks it can work.

And yet hardly anyone seems to think Marshall will be a Bronco in 2010.

The biggest question is which team would be the best landing spot for Marshall, and Neil Hayes of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that it could be the Bears. Hayes writes that Bears GM Jerry Angelo's comments about wide receiver not being a ''need'' position are viewed by many as a smoke screen, and that one NFL source wagered a steak dinner on Marshall being in a Bears uniform when camp opens.

We're not sure whether Hayes accepted the wager, or whether the Sun-Times allows its reporters to wager dinners with sources, but the bottom line is that the Bears are among the handful of teams that are consistently named as a potential suitor for Marshall's services.

Bears quarterback Jay Cutler had a good rapport with Marshall when they were teammates in Denver, and new Bears offensive coordinator Mike Martz would love to add a talented wide receiver to the offense. It's safe to say this won't be the last time we hear talk about the Bears acquiring Marshall.

CoachChaz
03-03-2010, 11:27 AM
I still say he plays in Denver for a long time to come

turftoad
03-03-2010, 11:39 AM

I hope you are right Coach, I think he is maturing. We can't afford to lose such talent.

SOCALORADO.
03-03-2010, 11:44 AM
I think he stays. Might be wrong, but i think the FO will keep him.
CHI doesnt have a 2nd this year, let alone a 1st.
Their 1st pick is around the 75th pick in the 3rd.
They have nothing but players to offer for Marshall, future picks wont do.
Dont see it.
TB on the other hand...

Nomad
03-03-2010, 11:45 AM

I guess it all starts Friday, so we'll be getting plenty of rumors then!!!

Last I heard, it was Cutler and a 4th for Orton and Marshall!!!!:D j/k

CoachChaz
03-03-2010, 11:46 AM
I hope you are right Coach, I think he is maturing. We can't afford to lose such talent.

...and contrary to popular, ignorant belief...I think McDaniels wants him here. Granted...if some team blows us away with a trade, then you have no choice but to entertain the idea and consider it, but with Boldin available for trade and a few decent WR's available via FA/draft...why would a team want to give up significant compensation for another player?

CoachChaz
03-03-2010, 12:03 PM
I think he stays. Might be wrong, but i think the FO will keep him.
CHI doesnt have a 2nd this year, let alone a 1st.
Their 1st pick is around the 75th pick in the 3rd.
They have nothing but players to offer for Marshall, future picks wont do.
Dont see it.
TB on the other hand...

Yeah...I'd take those 2 high 2nd rounders for him

silkamilkamonico
03-03-2010, 03:24 PM
I don't think we should trade Marshall for anything less than a 15th overall, this way we can get Bryant and still work on our line needs.

If not, more clusterf in the organization.

We have needs all over the ******* place along the oline, and dline.

We have a LB unit that significantly needs to be upgraded.

Now we have WR needs.

claymore
03-03-2010, 03:35 PM
I don't think we should trade Marshall for anything less than a 15th overall, this way we can get Bryant and still work on our line needs.

If not, more clusterf in the organization.

We have needs all over the ******* place along the oline, and dline.

We have a LB unit that significantly needs to be upgraded.

Now we have WR needs.

The good news is we might over pay for Doom!

silkamilkamonico
03-03-2010, 03:50 PM
The good news is we might over pay for Doom!

LMAO that's funny and I agree.

Here's an interesting thought on Marshall. Suppose they tendered him only to a first, because they are hoping a team comes in and puts down an offer that would be less than what he is wanting at the moment in terms of a long term deal. So they match the offer and get him for less than what he was wanting in terms of a contract extension, or less than what they thought he was going to want.

I'm unaware of how the matched offer works. Do teams put down an amount as well as length of contract that needs to be matched, or are all the offers for the last year of his contract?

CoachChaz
03-03-2010, 04:11 PM
LMAO that's funny and I agree.

Here's an interesting thought on Marshall. Suppose they tendered him only to a first, because they are hoping a team comes in and puts down an offer that would be less than what he is wanting at the moment in terms of a long term deal. So they match the offer and get him for less than what he was wanting in terms of a contract extension, or less than what they thought he was going to want.

I'm unaware of how the matched offer works. Do teams put down an amount as well as length of contract that needs to be matched, or are all the offers for the last year of his contract?

Beware the poison pill. i say we let him go for a 1st, then sign Ausitn Miles to an offer and put a poison pill clause in it guaranteeing his money if he iSNT the highest paid receiver on the team. Then if Dallas matches it, they have to gusrantee his money because of what they are already paying Williams. if not...we essentially swap Marshall and a third for Miles. I could live with that.

Biz1
03-03-2010, 04:34 PM
http://broncotalk.net/2010/03/14182/broncos-buzz/chicago-bears-want-brandon-marshall/

How about this scenario?

"The problem with acquiring Brandon Marshall is compensation. What exactly does Chicago plan on giving up for Marshall? Marshall will most likely be tendered for a first round pick at the very least. The Bears don’t own a first round pick until 2011. This means Denver would either have to accept a player of equal value (or a player tacked along with a third rounder), or a first round pick in 2011. Adam Schefter is thinking the same thing."

claymore
03-03-2010, 04:36 PM
http://broncotalk.net/2010/03/14182/broncos-buzz/chicago-bears-want-brandon-marshall/

How about this scenario?

"The problem with acquiring Brandon Marshall is compensation. What exactly does Chicago plan on giving up for Marshall? Marshall will most likely be tendered for a first round pick at the very least. The Bears don’t own a first round pick until 2011. This means Denver would either have to accept a player of equal value (or a player tacked along with a third rounder), or a first round pick in 2011. Adam Schefter is thinking the same thing."

Hester and Cutler and he's yours!

T.K.O.
03-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Hester and Cutler and he's yours!

i dont think cutler's ego would allow him to be 2nd string ,behind orton.:laugh:

claymore
03-03-2010, 04:40 PM
i dont think cutler's ego would allow him to be 2nd string ,behind orton.:laugh:

:laugh:

RedFalcon
03-03-2010, 04:41 PM
I don't think that trading Marshall is a solution for this team! It's not like we're talking about an aged WR that can hardly catch a pass. He's a talented young receiver. Yes, his personality can be a problem, but if we expect having holy players in football, than we chose the wrong sport!
I say , do not trade Marshall! We need him, and it's better to play for us, than against us!

Ravage!!!
03-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Beware the poison pill. i say we let him go for a 1st, then sign Ausitn Miles to an offer and put a poison pill clause in it guaranteeing his money if he iSNT the highest paid receiver on the team. Then if Dallas matches it, they have to gusrantee his money because of what they are already paying Williams. if not...we essentially swap Marshall and a third for Miles. I could live with that.

I'm pretty sure the poison pills that you are refering too were made against the rules after the Vikings did it.

dogfish
03-03-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm pretty sure the poison pills that you are refering too were made against the rules after the Vikings did it.

i don't think they were-- mike florio at PFT talks about the possibility of teams using them all the time, and although the guy doesn't know the first damn thing about football on the field, he's pretty astute about rules and the workings of contracts (dude's a lawyer, reading the fine print is second nature to him). . . .

Ravage!!!
03-03-2010, 07:02 PM
i don't think they were-- mike florio at PFT talks about the possibility of teams using them all the time, and although the guy doesn't know the first damn thing about football on the field, he's pretty astute about rules and the workings of contracts (dude's a lawyer, reading the fine print is second nature to him). . . .

I'm pretty sure that I read the rule that kept teams from using poison pills like that again. The Vikings were genius in their ingenuity on the wording of that contract, but I think that the NFL saw this as a clever way AROUND the rules, thus they shut the door. I don't have a clue as to how to go and look it up, but I remember reading a long article on the explanation that eliminated such poison pills.

But :shrugs: I guess we'll find out. It would seem that we would see more of those if they could be. Seems that it could also come to bite a team in the ass pretty quickly.

dogfish
03-03-2010, 08:22 PM
I'm pretty sure that I read the rule that kept teams from using poison pills like that again. The Vikings were genius in their ingenuity on the wording of that contract, but I think that the NFL saw this as a clever way AROUND the rules, thus they shut the door. I don't have a clue as to how to go and look it up, but I remember reading a long article on the explanation that eliminated such poison pills.

But :shrugs: I guess we'll find out. It would seem that we would see more of those if they could be. Seems that it could also come to bite a team in the ass pretty quickly.

teams have avoided using them because they're afraid of somebody coming back and doing it to them when one of their young stars hits restricted free agency. . . .

rationalfan
03-03-2010, 08:43 PM
if we could get petyon manning, lawrence taylor circa 1986 and lebron james let's do it.

T.K.O.
03-03-2010, 10:02 PM
if we could get petyon manning, lawrence taylor circa 1986 and lebron james let's do it.

would you settle for boldin and a 3rd ?;)

underrated29
03-03-2010, 10:29 PM
would you settle for boldin and a 3rd ?;)

In a heartbeat!!!

We get equal players pretty much, plus an extra 3rd in an extremely deep draft!

CoachChaz
03-04-2010, 09:35 AM

teams have avoided using them because they're afraid of somebody coming back and doing it to them when one of their young stars hits restricted free agency. . . .

The NFL strongly frowns on teams using "poison pills", but there are no rules against it. The Minnesota/Seattle debacle went both ways. The Vikes pulled that with Hutchinson...and Seattle pulled it with Burleson.

But if it means landing a stud like Miles and screwing Jerry Jones...I'm all for it