PDA

View Full Version : why do QBs not throw at combine?

tsiguy96
02-21-2010, 10:33 AM
just curious, are they afraid of throwing to receivers they dont know? alot of them only want to throw at their pro day, so wonder if they are focusing purely on the drills like 40, pro agility etc and gonna focus on throwing later?

Davii
02-21-2010, 10:42 AM
just curious, are they afraid of throwing to receivers they dont know? alot of them only want to throw at their pro day, so wonder if they are focusing purely on the drills like 40, pro agility etc and gonna focus on throwing later?

You hit the nail right on the head. The receivers. There is a lot to be said for your own receivers, timing, etc. If some receivers are out there screwing up their routes or off on their timing, or just drop balls altogether, who looks bad?

Both do, but most don't want their draft position to rely so heavily on people they don't even know.

topscribe
02-21-2010, 10:51 AM

Maybe it is because someone might comment on how strong an arm one of them
has, then somebody else will come back and say, "That's not true. He is NOT
as good as Manning."

-----

spikerman
02-21-2010, 11:15 AM
They were talking about this on the radio the other day. The reason players don't throw at the combine, but do at their pro day is two-fold. Like has already been mentioned, at their pro day they can throw to receivers they're comfortable with. ALSO, at their pro day, the QBs can pick the routes the receivers will run, whereas at the combine the scouts and coaches pick the patterns. So, at the pro day the QBs can throw the routes they're most comfortable with. That's one reason why the pro day showings are typically better than the combine.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-21-2010, 11:17 AM
One of the GMs/scouts said that the WRs have nothing to do w/ what the scouts look at in regards to QBs. They understand there is no chemistry. They want to see all the throws made and what the deep ball looks like...regardless of WHO it's getting thrown to.

hamrob
02-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Throwing at the combine is a big gamble. If you're a first rounder and/or a high first rounder...throwing at the combine can't really help you much. However, it can hurt you quite a bit. If some scout or scouts start to say you can't make all the throws or your footwork or throwing motion needs to be overhauled...boom you drop. At least at your pro-day...everything is focused on making you look good.

The guys who throw at the combine are the guys who can only improve their draft stock. You have to have some balls to give it a go.

I was really disapointed that Lefeavor decided not to throw. I think it would have really improved his draft position...

Sure, he'll look good at his pro-day...but, it won't have the same affect that a good showing at the combine would have had. Lefeavor is a solid 2-3 round guy...I don't think a good showing at his pro-day gives him enough ammo to move into the 1st.

Competing at the combine, whether throwing the football or running the 40...is a gamble and you have to judge what the risks are...is there upside to doing it...or does the downside outweigh the upside.

Lonestar
02-21-2010, 11:31 AM
I believe they are afraid to be compared to each other fearing that if some lesser named QB outshines them or is compareable at a lesser price.

I think after this next CBA when rookie contracts are clearly defined money wise there will be more QB's throwing at them.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

hamrob
02-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Here's the NFL Channel on this specific question:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d8167ef4e/Scouting-the-QBs

spikerman
02-21-2010, 11:52 AM
These guys are all used car salesmen. They're just trying to hide the flaws until they get paid. That's smart.

Nomad
02-21-2010, 12:07 PM
These guys are all used car salesmen. They're just trying to hide the flaws until they get paid. That's smart.

I don't put too much stock into the combine!!

Ravage!!!
02-21-2010, 01:35 PM
The top prospects have NOTHING to gain and everything to lose. If you are already rated a top 2 QB in the draft, proven from the play on the field, what do you have to gain by throwing the ball at the combine? Nothing. Do everything you can NOT to lower your value when its already as high as it can get.

Other guys, who's value is mid round have nothing but to GAIN... hoping to become a Jamarcus Russell. No one considered him to be a top prospect at all until the combine, and let someone as dumb as Al Davis to draft them high and give the big bucks.

Carl
02-21-2010, 01:42 PM
One of the GMs/scouts said that the WRs have nothing to do w/ what the scouts look at in regards to QBs. They understand there is no chemistry. They want to see all the throws made and what the deep ball looks like...regardless of WHO it's getting thrown to.

I love this post. Its so true. The scouts really couldnt care less if the WR catches the ball. What they are looking at is the QB's feet, how he handles the ball, and his release. This determines arm strength. Accuracy is not a big concern. THeres 2-3 years of college tape if you care about how accurate a QB is. THey wanna see how he makes all the throws in the route tree but if he misses the WR by a few yards nobody cares.

Lonestar
02-21-2010, 01:42 PM
The combine is where the rubber meets the road.

An "on the hoof" meat show where prospective buyers can get the specs, have one on one meetings with the kids, interview them and get inside their heads, get a valid wonderlich score.

Only those that have something to hide/lose do not perform unless they are cleared medically I would be hesitant to spend a top choice on one. JMHO.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Maybe it is because someone might comment on how strong an arm one of them
has, then somebody else will come back and say, "That's not true. He is NOT
as good as Manning."

-----

That's the spirit! Aren't those subtle little jabs fun! :beer: :D

EMB6903
02-21-2010, 07:22 PM
Highly touted QB's dont throw because of agents. They do not want them to risk lowering their draft stock.

Dean
02-21-2010, 07:30 PM
I love this post. Its so true. The scouts really couldnt care less if the WR catches the ball. What they are looking at is the QB's feet, how he handles the ball, and his release. This determines arm strength. Accuracy is not a big concern. THeres 2-3 years of college tape if you care about how accurate a QB is. THey wanna see how he makes all the throws in the route tree but if he misses the WR by a few yards nobody cares.

Sorry, I have to play the BS card here. :confused:

tsiguy96
02-21-2010, 08:23 PM
Sorry, I have to play the BS card here. :confused:

hes saying strictly at the combine, accuracy is not key concern. i can see where hes coming from, but on the same note if the QB cant hit anyone they are gonna lose some value.

Lonestar
02-21-2010, 11:10 PM
Highly touted QB's dont throw because of agents. They do not want them to risk lowering their draft stock.

Actually I'd bet their own pocket book and rep have more to do with it, than what is best for the client.:D

Dean
02-22-2010, 07:35 AM
If a team is going to pay out tens of millions of dollars and give up a high draft pick, they include in the analysis all known information and any errors is cause for concern and re-evaluation.