PDA

View Full Version : Broncos, Elam close, yet far apart

DenBronx
03-14-2008, 03:12 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8553907

Now that Jason Elam is back in the country, the Broncos hope to resume talks with their free-agent kicker this week.

The two sides have general parameters in place for a multiyear deal, but there is a serious hang-up regarding guaranteed money, particularly for the 2008 season.

Elam has been the Broncos' kicker since 1993, making him the team's longest-tenured player. He finished his 15th season with 15 consecutive field goals, although the Broncos have enough concern about the range of a 38-year-old kicker to want contractual protection.

Elam was due to return Wednesday from a Holy Land visit in Israel, where he was accompanied by Broncos center Tom Nalen and former teammates Dan Neil and Matt Lepsis.

Colorado connections. The Houston Texans will meet today with Broncos offensive lineman Chris Myers, a restricted free agent, and former University of Colorado running back Chris Brown, an unrestricted free agent.

The Texans, who recently hired former Broncos' assistant Alex Gibbs as their new offensive line coach, are trying to duplicate Denver's zone-blocking scheme. The Broncos have the right to match any offer made to Myers.

Brown was a CU star who has been injury prone in his five seasons with the Tennessee Titans.

claymore
03-14-2008, 03:13 PM
I think he is in Atlanta right now.

GEM
03-14-2008, 03:18 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8553907

Now that Jason Elam is back in the country, the Broncos hope to resume talks with their free-agent kicker this week.

The two sides have general parameters in place for a multiyear deal, but there is a serious hang-up regarding guaranteed money, particularly for the 2008 season.

Elam has been the Broncos' kicker since 1993, making him the team's longest-tenured player. He finished his 15th season with 15 consecutive field goals, although the Broncos have enough concern about the range of a 38-year-old kicker to want contractual protection.

Elam was due to return Wednesday from a Holy Land visit in Israel, where he was accompanied by Broncos center Tom Nalen and former teammates Dan Neil and Matt Lepsis.

Colorado connections. The Houston Texans will meet today with Broncos offensive lineman Chris Myers, a restricted free agent, and former University of Colorado running back Chris Brown, an unrestricted free agent.

The Texans, who recently hired former Broncos' assistant Alex Gibbs as their new offensive line coach, are trying to duplicate Denver's zone-blocking scheme. The Broncos have the right to match any offer made to Myers.

Brown was a CU star who has been injury prone in his five seasons with the Tennessee Titans.

Multi-year? Come on...that's asking alot, especially since he has had some issues hitting the 50+ the past couple seasons. I love Jason, but he has to also see it from the team's point of view. The leg isn't going to get stronger, it will get weaker. I can understand trying to get your last big payday, but seriously, there's no way in hell I could be ok with signing him to more than a couple seasons. I love him, I do....I just don't think the future should be put on hold because of warm and fuzzy feelings.

MHCBill
03-14-2008, 03:25 PM
I love Jason Elam, but he is not worth a large multi-year deal.

Hopefully he'll take a very conservative offer or retire versus playing for someone else.

DenBronx
03-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Multi-year? Come on...that's asking alot, especially since he has had some issues hitting the 50+ the past couple seasons. I love Jason, but he has to also see it from the team's point of view. The leg isn't going to get stronger, it will get weaker. I can understand trying to get your last big payday, but seriously, there's no way in hell I could be ok with signing him to more than a couple seasons. I love him, I do....I just don't think the future should be put on hold because of warm and fuzzy feelings.

i agree, elam is money inside the 40 but i would hate to see the broncos dish out a high dollar multi year deal for a kicker that has a questionable leg outside the 45. it would be nice to see him retire a bronco but it might not happen if he doesnt get real.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Forget about Jason. Draft Taylor Mehlhaff. If we knew Jason was gonna be such a little turd about money, should have drafted Crosby last year.

GEM
03-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Forget about Jason. Draft Taylor Mehlhaff. If we knew Jason was gonna be such a little turd about money, should have drafted Crosby last year.

Come on Dream, show the guy a little something. I don't like it, but also understand that he is looking at his last contract in the league and is trying to get as much as he can. He's a decent fella and he's done a lot for the organization. Show a bit of respect for him. Geez.

shank
03-14-2008, 03:36 PM

i don't get the infatuation with mehlhaff... i know there was an article saying we're interested in him, but why would we make such a big deal with elam's range to get a rookie kicker with a career long of 52?

i'm campaigning for brandon coutu. career long of 58, higher fg% than taylor (80% vs 77%), never missed an extra point, and he hit a 59 yarder in the college skills competition to win it (his leg looked consistently strong in that competition). bring his big leg to denver and maybe we'll see some touchbacks for once!

Requiem / The Dagda
03-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Come on Dream, show the guy a little something. I don't like it, but also understand that he is looking at his last contract in the league and is trying to get as much as he can. He's a decent fella and he's done a lot for the organization. Show a bit of respect for him. Geez.

GEM, I love Elam - I'm just throwing a little bit of my spunk into it. I wish Elam would come back, but not for a mega-deal for a kicker. It's time to get a replacement anyways.

i don't get the infatuation with mehlhaff... i know there was an article saying we're interested in him, but why would we make such a big deal with elam's range to get a rookie kicker with a career long of 52?

i'm campaigning for brandon coutu. career long of 58, higher fg% than taylor, never missed an extra point, and he hit a 59 yarder in the college skills competition to win it (his leg looked consistently strong in that competition. bring his big leg to denver and maybe we'll see some touchbacks for once!

That doesn't mean Mehlhaff can only kick it 52 yards. Even if it was, think about how 52 transfers into yardage in our thin air. 60? Probably. He's got a lot of great experience, kicking in tough weather and making tough kicks.

He kicks off as well, and does a damn good job.

Okay, I'll tell you another reason. He kick my teams ass in high school. He's a real nice guy. Can play multiple positions too. . . QB, SS, etc. ;) I'm partial. :(

MEHLHAFF <3

shank
03-14-2008, 03:47 PM
GEM, I love Elam - I'm just throwing a little bit of my spunk into it. I wish Elam would come back, but not for a mega-deal for a kicker. It's time to get a replacement anyways.

That doesn't mean Mehlhaff can only kick it 52 yards. Even if it was, think about how 52 transfers into yardage in our thin air. 60? Probably. He's got a lot of great experience, kicking in tough weather and making tough kicks.

He kicks off as well, and does a damn good job.

Okay, I'll tell you another reason. He kick my teams ass in high school. He's a real nice guy. Can play multiple positions too. . . QB, SS, etc. ;) I'm partial. :(

MEHLHAFF <3

think of how coutu's 58 transfers to our thin air! 64? new nfl record? Probably... :D

also, from what i've read, he can really boot it on kickoffs (with some consistency issues, all can be worked out!), is good under pressure, and is a hard-worker. plus, he's got the weird Neanderthal eyebrow ridge like mason crosby, and you all see how well he's doing in the nfl (water-tight argument).

Requiem / The Dagda
03-14-2008, 03:49 PM
I'd be happy with either. I want a Dragosavich/Mehlhaff ticket plz. :)

shank
03-14-2008, 03:58 PM

i'm going drago/coutu! then we can quit worrying about it for, oh i don't know, the next 15 years!

Stargazer
03-14-2008, 04:19 PM
I so hope Elam does not return. I'd like to see Denver kick 50+ FG's for once and touchbacks where the opposing team starts at the 20.

str8jacket
03-14-2008, 04:37 PM
I will repeat.

Should have drafted Crosby.

If we sign Elam to a multi year deal worth quite a bit of money I will be extremely disappointed. I love Elam as much as the next guy, but come on. He isn't worth it, we passed on a franchise kicker (Who will be in the league another 20 years booting it), for Elam.

This is just mind numbingly stupid in my opinion. They have no idea what they are doing at all. Its become clear.

Watchthemiddle
03-14-2008, 05:26 PM
I will repeat.

Should have drafted Crosby.

If we sign Elam to a multi year deal worth quite a bit of money I will be extremely disappointed. I love Elam as much as the next guy, but come on. He isn't worth it, we passed on a franchise kicker (Who will be in the league another 20 years booting it), for Elam.

This is just mind numbingly stupid in my opinion. They have no idea what they are doing at all. Its become clear.

Agree...how could they not see this coming from a year ago?

They could have had Crosby in the 6th round.

:tsk:

str8jacket
03-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Agree...how could they not see this coming from a year ago?

They could have had Crosby in the 6th round.

:tsk:

And be set at Kicker for the next 20 years! :smack:

dogfish
03-14-2008, 06:02 PM
just don't go to kansas shitty. . . . :frusty:

BANJOPICKER1
03-14-2008, 08:51 PM
i agree, elam is money inside the 40 but i would hate to see the broncos dish out a high dollar multi year deal for a kicker that has a questionable leg outside the 45. it would be nice to see him retire a bronco but it might not happen if he doesnt get real.
How about we bring him back until there is some super kickers in the draft??:D

Superchop 7
03-15-2008, 02:27 AM
The man.......beyond the other 52.

Wins the game.

Good reason to toss him.

How idiotic are these people?

Seriously.

fcspikeit
03-15-2008, 03:43 AM

i'm campaigning for brandon coutu. career long of 58, higher fg% than taylor (80% vs 77%), never missed an extra point, and he hit a 59 yarder in the college skills competition to win it (his leg looked consistently strong in that competition). bring his big leg to denver and maybe we'll see some touchbacks for once!

Plus, Coutu will probably go undrafted. We need the 6th to draft our future T.D :D

(Mehlhaff is projected to go in the 6th)

fcspikeit
03-15-2008, 03:48 AM

I'll take Shane(will kick the)Longest.. :D

I don't even see Dragosavich listed in the top 25 Kickers on Draft Scout?

Requiem / The Dagda
03-15-2008, 11:52 AM
I'll take Shane(will kick the)Longest.. :D

I don't even see Dragosavich listed in the top 25 Kickers on Draft Scout?

He's there #1/#2 punter.