PDA

View Full Version : Brandstater write up from Denverbroncos.com

broncofaninfla
02-19-2010, 02:32 PM
By Chris Gentilviso
DenverBroncos.com
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- For a talented athlete, the end of college offers a great deal of promise.
A year ago, that was the case for Tom Brandstater (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=9884). While his days at Fresno State came to a close, his future was headed toward a smooth landing with the Broncos.
A year later, as Brandstater cleaned out his locker at Dove Valley after an 8-8 rookie season, the difference was crystal clear.
"We were trying to fight for our playoff lives," Brandstater said. "Then you come in and it's over. So it's kind of tough, and it happens quickly. Looking back, you learn a whole lot of lessons about the process of being a professional and trying to do things right."
Over his final two seasons as a collegiate starter for the Bulldogs, Brandstater tasted the highest level of college achievement -- vying for a victory in a bowl game. His 2007 team scored a 40-28 win over Georgia Tech in the Humanitarian Bowl. His senior season had fewer postseason smiles, as Fresno State was topped by Colorado State in a 40-35 shootout at the New Mexico Bowl.
While emotions were high in both of those contests, careers, homes and friendships were not at stake for everyone on the roster.
"You look at guys around you and realize that it might be your last year," Brandstater said. "When you sit here and see them, you realize you might never see them again. It's just kind of crazy. It's just a crazy experience that you don't get to experience all that much."
That was one of the many experiences Brandstater bookmarked in his first season in Denver. Despite being designated as the club's third quarterback in all 16 regular-season games, the Turlock, Calif., native's time to shine came before the NFL's opening kickoff.
With Kyle Orton (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=9777) and Chris Simms (http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=9710) both shelved with injuries in the preseason, Brandstater was the No. 1 man in the Broncos' preseason finale against the Cardinals. He completed 16-of-30 passes for 187 yards, engineering Denver to a 19-0 win over Arizona at INVESCO Field at Mile High.
While the preseason and regular season are distinct entities in the win-loss column, the Broncos did not lose a football game over the next six weeks. Brandstater credited Orton and Simms in giving him the tools to learn not just in that game, but throughout his rookie season.
"They really helped me out a lot," Brandstater said. "I can't thank them enough and they definitely helped me get better and better. Hopefully I have done just that -- gotten better -- and can use what they've taught me to further myself."
Brandstater will also be furthered by moving to second-year status. In that Cardinals game, the only thing missing from his 6-foot-5 frame was his hair, as he was one of several rookies victimized by training camp haircuts from the veterans.
To escape the scissors this year, Brandstater plans on flying under the radar.
"Hey, you never know," he said. "With some of these older guys, the second-year guys might be just as vulnerable as the rookies. So you never know. I'm just going to try to keep my head low and not get that rookie treatment again."

Davii
02-19-2010, 02:36 PM
Good story. Hopefully he has shown improvement and can step into the #2 role. We know Simms is done, or at least should be.

CoachChaz
02-19-2010, 02:44 PM
Brandstater will NEVER be more than a #2.

SOCALORADO.
02-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Brandstater will NEVER be more than a #2.
I had high hopes for Tom, and i am holding out that he might make a huge leap. But, its becoming clear that my hopes are more than likely just a pipedream with him.

CoachChaz
02-19-2010, 03:02 PM
I had high hopes for Tom, and i am holding out that he might make a huge leap. But, its becoming clear that my hopes are more than likely just a pipedream with him.

We cant expect everyone we draft in the 6th to be a stud

e-Lou-sive1
02-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Now that Brandstrater has come out to speak may Orton will do the same.He has been kept quite for so long except from hearing the normal cliches most qb's use during the season.Rumor has it that Cassel maybe available and that should have Josh ready to unload a Qb or two at anytime.Denver is still interested in picking up a qb during the draft but it would be better to bring in someone Josh is already familiar with.Simms would definetly be gone and Orton will probably be picked up for one more year so Brandstrater might be the only one guaranteed a future with the team.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
02-19-2010, 03:39 PM
Now that Brandstrater has come out to speak may Orton will do the same.He has been kept quite for so long except from hearing the normal cliches most qb's use during the season.Rumor has it that Cassel maybe available and that should have Josh ready to unload a Qb or two at anytime.Denver is still interested in picking up a qb during the draft but it would be better to bring in someone Josh is already familiar with.Simms would definetly be gone and Orton will probably be picked up for one more year so Brandstrater might be the only one guaranteed a future with the team.

It would be cool to have Brandstater's contract restructured, mail simms to the dominican republic, draft a qb and sign Matt Cassell and have him battle with Orton for the starting position.

That would be sweet.

rationalfan
02-19-2010, 04:11 PM
Rumor has it that Cassel maybe available and that should have Josh ready to unload a Qb or two at anytime.Denver is still interested in picking up a qb during the draft but it would be better to bring in someone Josh is already familiar with.

sources?

also, i don't think it's been expressed that denver WILL draft a qb. bowlen simply said he would like to see a qb drafted.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
02-19-2010, 04:16 PM
sources?

also, i don't think it's been expressed that denver WILL draft a qb. bowlen simply said he would like to see a qb drafted.

Yeah he's just the owner and president of football operations, he doesn't know shit!

CoachChaz
02-19-2010, 04:16 PM
The only QB's I'm really interested after the 1st round would be McCoy...and only if he slipped to the third.

silkamilkamonico
02-19-2010, 04:47 PM
Denver trading away a late draft pick to move up in the fifth round for this guy who would have been there in the 6th, coupled with the less than stellar year from all our picks, has me a little concerned on how we'll draft this year and in the future.

Our best pick by value last year arguably turned out to be Darcel McBath, who will never be more than a backup option at S in this league.

rcsodak
02-19-2010, 04:49 PM
The only QB's I'm really interested after the 1st round would be McCoy...and only if he slipped to the third.

I certainly hope not.

McCoy is Chris Simms Part Deux.

CoachChaz
02-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Denver trading away a late draft pick to move up in the fifth round for this guy who would have been there in the 6th, coupled with the less than stellar year from all our picks, has me a little concerned on how we'll draft this year and in the future.

Our best pick by value last year arguably turned out to be Darcel McBath, who will never be more than a backup option at S in this league.

It's been documented by McD on a few occasions why last years draft was "winged". he admitted the deficiency they had. Guess that isnt good enough.

McBath...could be a solid starter. he's not a big hitter or a speedster, but the days of safeties like that are over. Solid tacklers that can make plays are the standard. he seems to fit that mold wonerfully.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
02-19-2010, 05:00 PM
It's been documented by McD on a few occasions why last years draft was "winged". he admitted the deficiency they had. Guess that isnt good enough.

McBath...could be a solid starter. he's not a big hitter or a speedster, but the days of safeties like that are over. Solid tacklers that can make plays are the standard. he seems to fit that mold wonerfully.

Agree 100%, And I think knowshon will be great one day. What people forget about him as that he's extremely durable, never gets tired, takes very hard hits and keeps running. I think he'll be a feature back for years to come.

turftoad
02-19-2010, 05:19 PM
It would be cool to have Brandstater's contract restructured, mail simms to the dominican republic, draft a qb and sign Matt Cassell and have him battle with Orton for the starting position.

That would be sweet.

Sweet.........?

That would suck. I'm not crazy about Orton or Cassell as out starting QB of the future.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
02-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Sweet.........?

That would suck. I'm not crazy about Orton or Cassell as out starting QB of the future.

They're there to keep the seat warm for the guy we draft. Did you even read my post?

silkamilkamonico
02-19-2010, 05:26 PM

We'll see if it's good enough in the next year or two if we can see actual results on the field, which is the ONLY thing that matters in professional sports.

silkamilkamonico
02-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Agree 100%, And I think knowshon will be great one day. What people forget about him as that he's extremely durable, never gets tired, takes very hard hits and keeps running. I think he'll be a feature back for years to come.

LMAO at "durable".

But I like Knowshon, I think he could be a good RB for us. It's just unfortunate we had to waste a top 15 pick to get a player like that, at a position where they're only good for 5-7 years or so. Let's hope we can figure out this team succcess on the field thing before he peaks out on his career.

SOCALORADO.
02-19-2010, 05:39 PM
Just gonna jump in here, but is there a viable chance that Cassell gets cut? Or would this be a trade? also, i sure hope DEN would not have to pick up the tab on that guy!
The only QB i think is worth anything is John Skelton from Fordham. He needs some footwork, but hes 6'5" 250 with a cannon.
And yes, McBath is a keeper. He may be the best pick out of that draft.

silkamilkamonico
02-19-2010, 05:40 PM
Just gonna jump in here, but is there a viable chance that Cassell gets cut? Or would this be a trade? also, i sure hope DEN would not have to pick up the tab on that guy!
The only QB i think is worth anything is John Skelton from Fordham. He needs some footwork, but hes 6'5" 250 with a cannon.
And yes, McBath is a keeper. He may be the best pick out of that draft.

The only QB I think is worth anything is Bradford but he'll be gone. Jimmy Clausen is intriguing. I personally hate the guy, but you won't find one of his opponent defenders say anything bad about him, which says alot, IMHO.

rcsodak
02-19-2010, 05:42 PM
LMAO at "durable".

But I like Knowshon, I think he could be a good RB for us. It's just unfortunate we had to waste a top 15 pick to get a player like that, at a position where they're only good for 5-7 years or so. Let's hope we can figure out this team succcess on the field thing before he peaks out on his career.

Moreno=Maroney

broncofaninfla
02-19-2010, 06:56 PM
This story came from the Broncos organization......... Why do a story about the 3rd string QB? Is Simms going to be gone? Is it because of the Orton contract situation? Brandstaters popularity? Or just a luck of the draw story about a random player.

I'm starting rumors or questioning a Broncos management decision, just bringing up some additional topics for discussion.

rcsodak
02-19-2010, 11:27 PM
This story came from the Broncos organization......... Why do a story about the 3rd string QB? Is Simms going to be gone? Is it because of the Orton contract situation? Brandstaters popularity? Or just a luck of the draw story about a random player.

I'm starting rumors or questioning a Broncos management decision, just bringing up some additional topics for discussion.

How about just the fact that he was a late round pick...is in an important position...and the first of many interviews.

I hope for the sake of the player, they never decide to interview a lowly UDFA. :coffee:

broncosfamily
02-19-2010, 11:39 PM
I am hoping they do something to resolve the Quarterback issue. Whether it is getting rid of Simms for a draft pick, which should be a foregone conclusion, and/or getting a veteran like Cassell would be a great move by this team. If they do not the fans may get hostile on McDaniels for not doing so. *Crossing fingers*

Lonestar
02-20-2010, 12:02 AM
the only way cassell comes to town is IF he gets cut and is a FA, then KC would be eating all of his guaranteed contract and frankly Piaoli is not that stupid.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
02-20-2010, 12:41 AM
I am hoping they do something to resolve the Quarterback issue. Whether it is getting rid of Simms for a draft pick, which should be a foregone conclusion, and/or getting a veteran like Cassell would be a great move by this team. If they do not the fans may get hostile on McDaniels for not doing so. *Crossing fingers*

1. Who the **** would give up any draft pick for CHRIS ******* SIMMS!?!?!?

2. Since when do Head Coaches and General Managers make football decisions based on fans getting "hostile"?

broncophan
02-20-2010, 07:12 AM

Welcome ...................no chance of us getting any kind of draft pick for Simms........and I would hope we would not get Cassell.......he was a one year one hit wonder imo.......but w/McD.....who knows.We have our veteran qb already in Orton........and I look for us to draft a qb early in the draft.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Good story. Hopefully he has shown improvement and can step into the #2 role. We know Simms is done, or at least should be.

Ya know, for all the talk of Simms will be or should be gone (which I agree with), I find it strange that the Broncos haven't just released him, yet. I'm sure he's eligible for some kind of roster bonus this spring so why not just cut him now and save some $?

Maybe we're too close to the cap (that ends on March 5th) and can't release him without going over like Miami and Joey Porter. That's all I can think of. I can't imagine Simms being here again next year but there has been ZERO talk of Simms from the front office so far this offseason. The though of him keeping a roster spot after last year's dreadful performance as a backup is almost unimaginable.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-20-2010, 10:26 AM
Moreno=Maroney

I just don't think so. Maroney is very talented but has had a lot of problems with injury. Moreno has never really had injury issues. He was a rookie last year. He didn't dazzle me or anyone else I think, but we had major problems with the offense as a whole last year. The only guy that really still stood out was Marshall.

To this day i still wouldn't mind having Maroney on this team because when he's healthy, he's a beast. I think Knowshon is a great RB for this offense. Given time, I think he could be another Edgerrin James type. Not the strongest or fastest RB, but runs hard and well and can catch out of the backfield.

I'm not willing to give up on Moreno just yet. For all his faults last year, he was still our best rookie player and best inside runner BY FAR.

Ravage!!!
02-20-2010, 12:18 PM
I don't think he was our best inside runner.

I also don't see Moreno being ANYTHING like Edge. Edgerin James was an incredible RB that could make the plays. He COULD take it to the house on a long run. Moreno, just doesn't have the burst (at least, he sure hasn't shown it yet).

Hard to judge a rookie, but with all the hype coming out of college, and using a 15 pick on him, I was expecting to see more and be more excited when he ran the ball.

T.K.O.
02-20-2010, 05:41 PM
he averaged about 1 yd when running inside and he was the 12th pick !
that being said i wont judge an entire career off a rookie season behind a beat up line trying to learn a new scheme.
i think he will find his place and be a big + to the team.

arapaho2
02-21-2010, 02:23 PM

That would be sweet.

i'd puke if thats the best salvage mcd can come up with