PDA

View Full Version : Fielding His Role

Denver Native (Carol)
02-19-2010, 01:47 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9870

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- On the first day of 2009 training camp, Ronald Fields was direct about his plans for the regular season.

"I'm ready," Fields said. "I'm very much ready. I trained hard during the summer break, worked hard out in Texas, and had good OTAs. I'm going to have a good training camp and just keep pushing forward to get better."

Sixteen games later, Fields succeeded in staying true to his word. He set a career-high 37 tackles, while helping the Broncos finish seventh in the NFL in total yards allowed at 315 per game.

That confidence stems from having a position coach who brings out the best results. After one season of regular-season meetings with defensive line coach Wayne Nunnely, Fields had little trouble expressing what the veteran coach brings to the table.

"He's been doing it for 12 years," said Fields of Nunnely. "He did it at San Diego a few years ago when they were the No. 1 run defense. So I believe in what he does and what he teaches, and I stick to that."

While Fields sticks to what Nunnely preaches, Nunnely returned the favor by sticking with Fields. As the nose tackle in the 3-4 scheme, he demanded double teams on a routine basis.

At a position of heavy contact, even Nunnely was thankful during Week 12 that Fields was in good playing condition.

"He's doing a good job," said Nunnely of Fields' play prior to Denver's Dec. 6 win in Kansas City. "He's been -- knock on wood -- healthy for the most part this season. He's getting better every week."

Fields kept those words living, notching nine of his 37 tackles over the final four games of the season. He started all 16 games for the first time in his career and was one of only eight Broncos to achieve that this season.

That consistency will prove to be a benefit come next season. Fields arrived in Denver with 49 games of NFL experience as a member of the San Francisco 49ers. But most of that competition came against foes not on a typical AFC West schedule.

Of those 49 contests played, 19 came against former NFC West division rivals. More importantly, Fields had never played a preseason or regular-season game at INVESCO Field at Mile High.

After his 2009 effort, that's all in the past.

"I know what to expect, as far as playing in this conference," Fields said. "Playing with everybody here, I saw a lot of new faces, a lot of new people I never played against. Now I know how to approach certain situations and I learned a lot from that. It's another stepping stone for me."

Lonestar
02-19-2010, 01:52 PM
still hope they either bulk him up muscle wise or bring in another stud NT as at just a shade over 300 he will not be able to handle the day to day grind for much longer.

Very few NT get away with being under 330. Most of the really great ones are 350 +

Carl
02-19-2010, 03:14 PM
This is an encouraging read. I just hope we can get him some help. When Ronald Fields is your best Dlineman youre really just daring offenses to attack you right at the LOS. And i think we all know how that went over from November on........