PDA

View Full Version : Olympics

pnbronco
02-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Is anyone watching the game between Canada and Swiss? Dang they are going into OT, Hiller has played unbelievable for the Swiss.

Hiller just got wiped out by Nash.

Shoot Out!!!!!

pnbronco
02-19-2010, 02:38 AM
Slov against the Russians was great. Both goalies were outstanding. Went to a shoot out again and Slov WON! Man what a game. Demitra made a beautiful play to win in the shoot out. Glad I could stay up.

weazel
02-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Slov against the Russians was great. Both goalies were outstanding. Went to a shoot out again and Slov WON! Man what a game. Demitra made a beautiful play to win in the shoot out. Glad I could stay up.

damn I went to bed! I thought the Russians were taking that one.

pnbronco
02-19-2010, 12:53 PM
damn I went to bed! I thought the Russians were taking that one.

I know, in fact I almost didn't watch it because I thought heck the Russians had that one in the bag. Budja is a goalie for Slov so I was checking to see if he was playing. I watched another program that I really liked and went back to check before I went to bed and went what the heck.

It was really good, yesterday was great night for hockey. That Swiss / Canada game was really something else. It's like NHL superstars against names I've never heard and Hiller.

underrated29
02-19-2010, 12:57 PM
So amazing.

DONT FORGET:

Sunday- best lineup ever.

Russia vs Czech
Canada Vs USA
Fin vs Sweden

It does not get any better than this. Except when we play for Gold!

pnbronco
02-19-2010, 04:34 PM
So amazing.

DONT FORGET:

Russia vs Czech
Canada Vs USA
Fin vs Sweden

that's a great line up.....I knew about the USA vs Canada but the whole line up is great, thanks UR....

weazel
02-19-2010, 07:49 PM
So amazing.

DONT FORGET:

Russia vs Czech
Canada Vs USA
Fin vs Sweden

I wont see any of them, skiing...

soneone has to, the Canadian ski team is a ******* joke. They should all be ashamed and the coaches should all be fired.

East Coast Fan
02-20-2010, 10:18 PM
"LET'S GO PENS" oh, wait....:D

Haven't seen much hockey, but want to see tomorrow's action with Sid vs. Orpik....

BroncoAV06
02-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Ryan Miller!!!!!! What a game as Team USA beats Canada 5-3.

Broncolingus
02-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Miller MVP of that game...

Canada didn't flop in this...they were bringing the heat for most of the game.

Key plays by the US - and of course Miller's lights-out game - made for a solid victory for us...

Love our brothers to the North, but way to go USA!!!!!

Denver Native (Carol)
02-22-2010, 10:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2010/icehockey/news/story?id=4937426

Canada's stunning loss to the United States on Sunday has led to a shakeup in the nets.

Roberto Luongo will take over in goal for Martin Brodeur when the Canadians face Germany on Tuesday.

"I'm pumped," Luongo said after practice on Monday. "The adrenaline is really going. I can't tell you how excited I am."

Brodeur -- the NHL career victories leader -- surrendered four goals on 22 shots in the 5-3 loss to the U.S. The fifth was an empty-netter as the Canadians tried to avoid their first loss to the Americans in the Olympics in 50 years.

The loss forced Canada into Tuesday's play-in game, while the U.S. went on to clinch the top seed in the tournament and earned a bye.

Luongo, playing in his NHL home arena, made 15 saves while shutting out Norway 8-0 in Canada's first Olympic game on Feb. 16.

BroncoAV06
02-24-2010, 10:46 PM
Well how about Russia getting worked. Canada is on a mission now.

Broncolingus
02-24-2010, 11:35 PM
Well how about Russia getting worked. Canada is on a mission now.

Man did the Russkies ever get pwned tonight...one for the history books.

So much for a battle of titans...more like Rexkwondo.

http://assets.omniture.com/en/images/blogs/rex_kwon_do_1.jpg

Wonder how many of those players will suffer 'subdural hematoma's' when they get back...

SR
02-24-2010, 11:37 PM
The movers took my TV on Monday, so I'm keeping up via internet. I'm not happy Canada smoked Russia like that.

pnbronco
02-25-2010, 12:41 AM
I hate driving to WA, the weather was horrible from WY to Pendelton OR, just brutal, so I have no idea what's happend the last 36 hours. So catch me up guys.

Broncolingus
02-25-2010, 07:33 AM
I hate driving to WA, the weather was horrible from WY to Pendelton OR, just brutal, so I have no idea what's happend the last 36 hours. So catch me up guys.

You bet, pn...here goes:

"Well, let's see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it."

http://content9.flixster.com/photo/11/47/17/11471799_tml.jpg

(...JK - :D...)

SR
02-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Lmfao

Broncolingus
02-25-2010, 01:19 PM
CNN) -- Tom de la Hunty took Dutch bobsledder Edwin van Calker to the Whistler Sliding Center track one last time Tuesday and asked his driver if he could do it.

He wasn't asking him to win; he was asking him whether he could compete. The coach and his pilot walked the course, and de la Hunty told van Calker to think about it, giving him an hour to make a decision.

Time offered no healing. Van Calker told his coach he just couldn't drive this track and so on Wednesday the four-man No. 1 sled from the Netherlands pulled out of the Olympics.

Because their driver was terrified.

"I've never seen someone get to a major event and not compete because they're scared. You keep your inner fears to yourself and do it," de la Hunty told reporters at a news conference. "That's why it's such a popular sport in the military. It's that kind of macho sport. You go over the top together."

Van Calker, ranked 11th on the World Cup four-man tour, crashed on his first run during two-man practice on Saturday. That and the memories of other crashes, including one that resulted in two teammates in the hospital, were too much for van Calker.

He never felt comfortable on the track during the two-man competition when he and teammate Sybren Jansma finished 14th. He and the rest of the four-man team were absent from two training runs on Tuesday, as he struggled with what to do. It didn't help that eight sleds crashed on that first day of training.

And so that night, he made the decision to give up.

It's not about performing. It's about surviving. "I have to look after my boys and can't close my eyes to that," he told reporters. "For me, it's not about performing. It's about surviving."

It was a split decision among the team to quit the games, said de la Hunty, who talked about how he told his driver he was making a choice he would regret forever.

For Timothy Beck, who wanted to continue, it was a heart-wrenching outcome to his last Olympics. The man who carried the Dutch flag in the opening ceremonies said there was no tension on the team, but he was upset that he had come to his third Olympics and would not get a chance to compete.

"This was my last chance to do something special," said the 33-year-old, who competed in the 2002 Winter Olympics and the 2004 Summer Olympics on the track team.

Jansma said he was frustrated because he wanted to show the world the progress the Netherlands has made in bobsled, but safety was paramount.

Arnold van Calker, the fourth member of the team, supported his brother's decision, pointing to the difference in the size of the two- and four-man sleds. The two-man sled is smaller and easier to control. Arnold van Calker, who had his doubts about the safety of the track, worried his brother had lost his nerve and wouldn't be able to steer the big sled through turns 11, 12 and 13.

Not even changes to the track on Tuesday could help reassure the brothers.

"It was a lot better, but for us it was maybe too late," Arnold van Calker said.

De la Hunty pinned some of the blame on Arnold's wife, saying that she had been worried about her husband's safety ever since Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili had crashed and died on the same track during the first day of the games.

"When Arnold is scared and upset, obviously it has influence," he said.

But Arnold van Calker said the death had no influence, and Edwin van Calker agreed that the track was not to blame for his decision.

"It's a challenging and exciting track. You have to deal with it as a pilot. That comes with the job. Sometimes you deal with it less good," he said. "It's nothing to do with the track, just my lack of confidence at the moment."

Wha...?

Dude...seriously?

:tsk:

pnbronco
02-25-2010, 10:57 PM
You bet, pn...here goes:

"Well, let's see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it."

http://content9.flixster.com/photo/11/47/17/11471799_tml.jpg

(...JK - :D...)

:laugh: all in the last 36 hours, busy time......:laugh:
Thanks goodness for ESPN...............:D

Medford Bronco
02-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Who is the US playing. An AHL team

this is unbelieveable 6-0 with 6 minutes left still

USA. Great work :salute: :usa2:

BroncoAV06
02-27-2010, 11:52 AM
IOC a bunch of aholes, jumping all over Team Canada womens hockey team for some beer and cigars on the ice! God forbid they enjoy a win. And then right after teh game to question teh future of womens hockey saying there needs to be more competition, good going IOC! Why not put more thought into the saftey of your athletes...oh wait that would make sense.

Howard Bryant artical on the womens game/IOC:
http://sports.espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2010/icehockey/columns/story?columnist=bryant_howard&id=4947575

Excited for the Gold Medal game tomorrow. USA/Canada should be a good one if Team USA can get teh puck out of their zone and avoid as big of a shooting gallery as tehy faced in their first meeting wit Canada. Good forcheck for Team USA as well as not having the d-men over comment along with putting pucks on the net sounds like a good game plan.

Medford Bronco
02-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Lets go USA today. Bring back the gold. :usa2:

Either way this team is playing with house money

Just give a great effort and we will be all proud of you.

Jaws
02-28-2010, 05:35 PM
Extra time.

Sudden death coming up!

Jaws
02-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Perfect ending to the games for the host nation.
Hard luck USA. Good job to get it into extra time and make it an exciting game.

KCL
02-28-2010, 06:16 PM
Perfect ending to the games for the host nation.
Hard luck USA. Good job to get it into extra time and make it an exciting game.

They have nothing to hang their heads about..I was hoping for a win...being down 2-0 to take it to OT was quite a feat!!! That was an exciting game,now I see why Med loves hockey...:beer:

Devilspawn
02-28-2010, 06:21 PM
That was one hell of a game. I don't particularly like hockey, but I love their clinching games.

Northman
02-28-2010, 06:36 PM
That was one hell of a game. I don't particularly like hockey, but I love their clinching games.

I love the girl in your sig.

Ravage!!!
02-28-2010, 06:57 PM
Damnit!!!!!!!!!!

MileHighCrew
02-28-2010, 06:59 PM
WOOOOOHOOOOOO GO CANADA GO Great ending to great games!!!!

EastCoastBronco
02-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Amazing damn game...

Wow.

ursamajor
02-28-2010, 07:37 PM
Once the OT period started, you knew Canada was gonna win it. Team USA could not get the puck off of their side of the ice for more than a second or two at a time.

East Coast Fan
02-28-2010, 07:50 PM
"HHHHHHEEEEEE SHOOTS AND SCORES" Sid the Kid, man, Sid the Kid...

Now get back to the NHL and "LET'S GO PENS"!!! :D

Denver Native (Carol)
02-28-2010, 07:51 PM
:salute: to USA Hockey Team - they had a great Olympics.

Medford Bronco
02-28-2010, 08:01 PM
They have nothing to hang their heads about..I was hoping for a win...being down 2-0 to take it to OT was quite a feat!!! That was an exciting game,now I see why Med loves hockey...:beer:

KC you watched hockey. :D

I am so proud of you.

IT IS a great game, when played properly.

I dont hate Canada. Some of my favorite NHL players are Canadien
with Eric Staal, Ryan Getslaf, Rick Nash, Luongo, Pronger, Thornton, Heatley, Iginla etc.

The US played as well as they could. Ryan Miller was outstanding. I was happy to see him step up.

Great tourney.

Now I hope there are some new NHL fans here.

Enjoy the rest of the year.

Go Hawks and Canes and Avs for the fans here.

(My Canes are in trouble but had a nice stretch recently)

Medford Bronco
02-28-2010, 08:02 PM
"HHHHHHEEEEEE SHOOTS AND SCORES" Sid the Kid, man, Sid the Kid...

Now get back to the NHL and "LET'S GO PENS"!!! :D

Sorry ECF I was not happy with Sid today :laugh:

Now score for Pitt when it counts :beer:

I found a new respect for Zach Parise in this tourney. Also Patrick Kane did a great job. Rafalski was clutch. I just wish he still payed for NJ and not Det:lol:

KCL
02-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Med...hubby and I are planning on going to see our local hockey team play...their season ends in March...we have a new hockey arena just about 10 minutes away from us.

That was very exciting to watch...hubby and I both were cheering them on!!!!

East Coast Fan
02-28-2010, 08:12 PM
Sorry ECF I was not happy with Sid today :laugh:

Now score for Pitt when it counts :beer:

He was really flying around what I saw of him; didn't see today's game because we had an indoor soccer practice, but I'm sure he was sailing around...

Still kind of stunned at Russia not doing too well, especially with Ovechkin, Malkin and Gonchar...wow.:confused:

BroncoAV06
03-01-2010, 02:15 AM
Screw Canada and their maple syrup and free health care, good for nothing ********...

Great game both teams left it all on the ice. Thought it was anyones game after Team USA tied it.

JK by the way on Canada.

MileHighCrew
03-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Screw Canada and their maple syrup and free health care, good for nothing ********...

Great game both teams left it all on the ice. Thought it was anyones game after Team USA tied it.

JK by the way on Canada.

That hurts bad. I'm going to the doctor to get some pain killers and then I'm going to get some pancakes to feel better EH!!! JK :salute:

Broncolingus
03-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Fantastic job by the men's hockey team...

While, of course, I'd wished they'd won the Gold, the effort put forth was truly amazing and Miller was a wall for the whole series.

A lot of folks don't realize how young - yes, the US had plenty of NHLer's too - that team was...

Again, congrats to Canada (no prob with them winning if the US couldn't) and :salute: to the USA!

MileHighCrew
03-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Miller was awesome, but I was most impressed with Kane. He was a beast. Chicago has some great young players.

Medford Bronco
03-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Miller was awesome, but I was most impressed with Kane. He was a beast. Chicago has some great young players.

I think Chicago can win it all IF their goaltending holds up.
Huet is kinda shaky and Niemi is green.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-01-2010, 01:36 PM
This morning Jim Rome was talking, and he said "what if" - what if the NHL would have sent their TOP US hockey players. Then he stated that he never sees this happening, do to the fact that "injuries could happen", which would then affect the rest of the NHL season.

MileHighCrew
03-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Jim Rome is a moron, He makes Woody Page seem like a great public speaker.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Jim Rome is a moron, He makes Woody Page seem like a great public speaker.

Do you not think he had a valid point?

MileHighCrew
03-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Do you not think he had a valid point?

In a game like the one yesterday one bounce changes the colour of the medal. If they played again today the USA could win. It doesn't matter about if the point was valid that is sports. You play the best you can with who you have and try to win. The Americans and the Canadians played great yesterday.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-01-2010, 04:28 PM
In a game like the one yesterday one bounce changes the colour of the medal. If they played again today the USA could win. It doesn't matter about if the point was valid that is sports. You play the best you can with who you have and try to win. The Americans and the Canadians played great yesterday.

I agree with you. Just posted a general comment Rome made, and I felt he had a valid point.

MileHighCrew
03-01-2010, 04:36 PM
I have no problem with the quote, just the guy who made it.

weazel
03-01-2010, 05:11 PM
This morning Jim Rome was talking, and he said "what if" - what if the NHL would have sent their TOP US hockey players. Then he stated that he never sees this happening, do to the fact that "injuries could happen", which would then affect the rest of the NHL season.

Maybe I'm missing something... his point is not valid, because the USA DID send its best hockey players.

BTW, Jim Rome is a douche bag. His job consists of one thing, baiting people into arguing with each other through phone calls, text messages and email. He is a hack.

MileHighCrew
03-01-2010, 05:39 PM
What best American players were missing?

MileHighCrew
03-01-2010, 06:21 PM
An amazing 80% of Canadians watched the Gold Medal hockey game http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=312025
No matter the size of the country, I really think that is impressive

weazel
03-01-2010, 06:23 PM
An amazing 80% of Canadians watched the Gold Medal hockey game http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=312025
No matter the size of the country, I really think that is impressive

what is really crazy about that stat is the fact that 26 million Canadians watched the game and 27 million Americans watched the game!

thats about 10% of Americans, that really is something.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-01-2010, 07:01 PM
What best American players were missing?

Guess you would have to ask Rome that, as I do not follow hockey all that close. However, I did find the following article - maybe this is what Rome was referring to.

http://www.nesn.com/2010/01/olympic-hockey-preview-canada-russia-biggest-obstacles-in-usas-path.html

Team USA's roster also looks to have a strong showing as general manager Brian Burke decided to focus on youth over experience. The Team USA roster includes just three players -- Chris Drury (New York Rangers), Brian Rafalski (Detroit) and Jamie Langenbrunner (New Jersey) -- with prior Olympic experience.

The Team USA roster doesn't boast as many well-known names as the more star-studded Team Canada, but Burke and head coach Ron Wilson are confident that the younger players will bring an intensity to the competition that will serve them well and put the team in good position for medal contention.

MileHighCrew
03-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Guess you would have to ask Rome that, as I do not follow hockey all that close. However, I did find the following article - maybe this is what Rome was referring to.

http://www.nesn.com/2010/01/olympic-hockey-preview-canada-russia-biggest-obstacles-in-usas-path.html

Team USA's roster also looks to have a strong showing as general manager Brian Burke decided to focus on youth over experience. The Team USA roster includes just three players -- Chris Drury (New York Rangers), Brian Rafalski (Detroit) and Jamie Langenbrunner (New Jersey) -- with prior Olympic experience.

The Team USA roster doesn't boast as many well-known names as the more star-studded Team Canada, but Burke and head coach Ron Wilson are confident that the younger players will bring an intensity to the competition that will serve them well and put the team in good position for medal contention.

I honestly think if the USA went in another direction we would have beat them in the first game and Canada would have played Russia for the gold. This was a one bounce could change the game kind of game, the Americans have a lot to be proud of and it will serve them well in the future.
2nd in mens and womens hockey is pretty great for a country that could care less about the sport for the most part.

weazel
03-01-2010, 07:35 PM

the problem with that logic is that the players left off the roster were on the last team that sucked. Guys like Gomez and other older players. If you look at the Canadian roster, the weakest players were the older ones like Pronger. Pronger looked old and slow the entire tournament

Medford Bronco
03-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Maybe I'm missing something... his point is not valid, because the USA DID send its best hockey players.

BTW, Jim Rome is a douche bag. His job consists of one thing, baiting people into arguing with each other through phone calls, text messages and email. He is a hack.

Remember him and Jim Everett has the old "Chris"
and Everett turned the table over.

I think it was staged.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/57W05-oopNA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/57W05-oopNA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

weazel
03-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Remember him and Jim Everett has the old "Chris"
and Everett turned the table over.

I think it was staged.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/57W05-oopNA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/57W05-oopNA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

No, that wasn't staged. Everett should have beat him down instead of just grabbing him though. Rome still gets embarrassed when that comes up.
His entire show today was a stage for him to get Canadians and Americans to trash talk each other. The guy is such a ******* tool, it's ridiculous.