PDA

View Full Version : The rift with Al Wilson ? (LAWSUIT)

Superchop 7
03-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Well, we finally have it.

The Bronco's are being sued for lost wages because they didn't fully disclose the seriousness of his neck injury to him.

This is why they parted ways in such a disrespectful manner.

OK, I get it. (It certainly is a new day)

Find some common ground fellas, I told you that you should have kept him on the roster for 07, the man earned the right to be included. Plus, a herniated disc isn't the end of the world for Al and we sure could use him.

Thanks for letting us know that there is more to the story.

MOtorboat
03-13-2008, 10:02 PM
I love Al...LOVE Al...but he didn't get a second opinion?

NightTrainLayne
03-13-2008, 10:03 PM

The Bronco's are being sued for lost wages because they didn't fully disclose the seriousness of his neck injury to him.

For real? That's kind of odd because I remember him wanting to play over the teams decision that he wasn't healthy enough. I guess he means prior to that point, but this seems kind of petty. I guess we'll see what turns up.

Hobe
03-13-2008, 10:05 PM

Where did you hear this?

Superchop 7
03-13-2008, 10:13 PM
According to Al, he wasn't aware of the herniated disc until the Giants told him. He claims that had he known sooner, he would have had surgery and been able to play in 07.

Hence, the lawsuit.

turftoad
03-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Where did you hear this?

Yes......... where did you hear this??

underrated29
03-13-2008, 10:15 PM
what? this makes no sense. We are not his doctors. Who give a rats ass what we say to a player. We can say he is hurt or not, its not our fault if he is or isnt. WTF. this makes absolutely no sense.

There is a suite because we didnt disclose how bad HIS neck was?....What 13 year old made this up?

underrated29
03-13-2008, 10:16 PM
According to Al, he wasn't aware of the herniated disc until the Giants told him. He claims that had he known sooner, he would have had surgery and been able to play in 07.

Hence, the lawsuit.

IS that not his agenst and DOCTORS job? Surely due to hippa- al would know everything before we would.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-13-2008, 10:29 PM
I guess that means no Ring of Honor...

dogfish
03-13-2008, 10:31 PM
i found this on PFT-- the post might have more info. . .

WILSON WANTS HIS 2007 PAY FROM THE BRONCOS
Posted by Mike Florio on March 13, 2008, 10:31 p.m.
An intriguing legal battle has played out under the radar between the Denver Broncos and former linebacker Al Wilson.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Wilson is pursuing a grievance against the Broncos based on his belief that the team failed to give him appropriate medical advice and treatment after Wilson suffered a neck injury late in the 2006 season. Wilson played again in 2006 after suffering the injury.

The dispute, which recently went to a formal hearing, arose under Article XLIV of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Specifically, Section 1 requires the team to advise the player in writing of any condition that “could be significantly aggravated” by continued performance.

Wilson’s contention is that the Broncos failed to tell him in writing that he had a herniated disk in his neck. As a result, Wilson claims that he didn’t even know about the condition until he flunked a physical in April 2007, when he was being evaluated by the Giants in connection with a possible trade.

The trade fell through, and Wilson eventually was released. He had the injury repaired, and he is now pursuing a return to the NFL. He has visited with the Lions and the Browns.

Wilson claims that if he’d known about the condition, he would have had surgery in late 2006, and would have been ready for the 2007 season. Thus, he wants the base salary he would have earned from the Broncos if he had been able to play.

Several million dollars hang in the balance on this one. Stay tuned.

BeefStew25
03-13-2008, 10:32 PM
I hope he wins. They should have kept him on the roster last year. He earned the right.

dogfish
03-13-2008, 10:35 PM
i don't want to speculate until more info comes out, but this sickens me-- particularly if what he's saying proves to be true. . .

dogfish
03-13-2008, 10:36 PM
I hope he wins. They should have kept him on the roster last year. He earned the right.

that's pretty much my feeling as well. . . not to be too sentimental, but we sure dumped him quickly after years of excellent play and leadership. . . i thought they should have put him on IR for the year. . . .

G_Money
03-13-2008, 10:42 PM
Hmm. That's not a rep the Broncos want to have with players around the league - nor one they currently do have. Everyone who gets brought in refers to their treatment as "first-class." Accomodations, food, money, and medical treatment. The ones who get punted to the curb are usually malcontents anyway (or cap cuts, which every team gets), but intentionally allowing a player to further an injury while playing for us and only then cutting him wouldn't bode well.

I want more details. And I sure hope that's not what we did.

~G

str8jacket
03-13-2008, 10:45 PM
i don't want to speculate until more info comes out, but this sickens me-- particularly if what he's saying proves to be true. . .

True, however it makes me wonder......he didnt get a second opinion? That would be among the first things I would have done after a look over from the teams docs.

Its what I did after my knee injury a couple years ago playing football for my HS team.

broncosfanscott
03-13-2008, 11:10 PM
Well, this makes things much more interesting. I do find it hard to that the Broncos didn't tell him what he injured. If so, then I am shocked and hope it doesn't happen again. I'll wait for more info before I make a judgement. I hope this isn't true.

Superchop 7
03-13-2008, 11:17 PM
Obviously, it's a new day at Bronco HQ.

They want it out in the open, despite the egg-in-the-face.

My guess is that ego's got in the way.

Change can be good.

fcspikeit
03-14-2008, 01:06 AM
Hmm. That's not a rep the Broncos want to have with players around the league - nor one they currently do have. Everyone who gets brought in refers to their treatment as "first-class." Accomodations, food, money, and medical treatment. The ones who get punted to the curb are usually malcontents anyway (or cap cuts, which every team gets), but intentionally allowing a player to further an injury while playing for us and only then cutting him wouldn't bode well.

I want more details. And I sure hope that's not what we did.

~G

Your right, this is a terrible accusation! Even if he loses the lawsuit it is giving the Broncos a bad rep..

I really hope it isn't true. If it is true they should be punished by the league.. However, if this proves to be all bull shit, because he is pissed about being cut. I hope they sue him for corrector defamation...

Buff
03-14-2008, 01:33 AM
Sounds like a case of wanting more $$ to me... Memo to Al: You got carted off the field on a stretcher. Now he wants us to believe he didn't know his back was hurt until he failed a physical because he didn't get it in writing?

Sorry, not buying it. I love Al, wish he could have finished out his career with us, but this seems like nothing more than a greedy lawyer trying to exploit a technicality.

weazel
03-14-2008, 02:49 AM
ugly...

silkamilkamonico
03-14-2008, 03:16 AM
what? this makes no sense. We are not his doctors. Who give a rats ass what we say to a player. We can say he is hurt or not, its not our fault if he is or isnt. WTF. this makes absolutely no sense.

There is a suite because we didnt disclose how bad HIS neck was?....What 13 year old made this up?

I hope you're not being serious.

The organization has an obligation, as any company does, that if a worker gets hurt on the job, it becomes their responsibility and obligation to treat that worker with care and honesty, and report what's in the best interest of that worker's health. It's why they pay mucho bucks out for the best doctors and trainers they can.

I just hope the union doesn't get involved with this. That could be an immediate red flag against the organization for future players, for not looking out for their employee's well being.

If this is true, shame on the organization for not dealing with the immediate health risk of what of it's employee's. Especially someone with the credentials of Al Wilson.

This is very bad news.

PatricktheDookie
03-14-2008, 03:24 AM
This is not good. Regardless of the validity, it sends a message to the rest of the organization (and to other teams) that the Broncos do not take care of their players.

When that happens, it becomes difficult to attract free agent or retain your current players.

Superchop 7
03-14-2008, 07:38 AM
The day after Ted leaves, this is out in the open.

It's not a coincidence.

Either the Bronco's are being forthright. (because Ted left ?)

Or Ted is getting some revenge.

They better pay Al and get him on the team or it will get super-ugly.

Mike
03-14-2008, 08:27 AM
i found this on PFT-- the post might have more info. . .

WILSON WANTS HIS 2007 PAY FROM THE BRONCOS
Posted by Mike Florio on March 13, 2008, 10:31 p.m.
An intriguing legal battle has played out under the radar between the Denver Broncos and former linebacker Al Wilson.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Wilson is pursuing a grievance against the Broncos based on his belief that the team failed to give him appropriate medical advice and treatment after Wilson suffered a neck injury late in the 2006 season. Wilson played again in 2006 after suffering the injury.

The dispute, which recently went to a formal hearing, arose under Article XLIV of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Specifically, Section 1 requires the team to advise the player in writing of any condition that “could be significantly aggravated” by continued performance.

Wilson’s contention is that the Broncos failed to tell him in writing that he had a herniated disk in his neck. As a result, Wilson claims that he didn’t even know about the condition until he flunked a physical in April 2007, when he was being evaluated by the Giants in connection with a possible trade.

The trade fell through, and Wilson eventually was released. He had the injury repaired, and he is now pursuing a return to the NFL. He has visited with the Lions and the Browns.

Wilson claims that if he’d known about the condition, he would have had surgery in late 2006, and would have been ready for the 2007 season. Thus, he wants the base salary he would have earned from the Broncos if he had been able to play.

Several million dollars hang in the balance on this one. Stay tuned.

The "in writing" kind of makes me suspicious. Sounds like a legal loophole to me.

Personally, I loved Wilson as a Bronco and hated to see him go, but I think this is BS and have lost respect for the guy.

Gee, I wonder who the source might be on this? A disgruntled former "GM" perhaps?

Superchop 7
03-14-2008, 08:55 AM
Think about it.

How long has Steve Antanopolous been with the Bronco's ?

Man this reeks.

If Shanny did this I want him gone.

Al Wilson was a man in my eyes for keeping this under wraps.

NightTrainLayne
03-14-2008, 09:30 AM
Al's case is that he would have been able to have surgery right away and be ready for the 2007 season if we would have just told him.

If that's really the case, then it would have been in our best interest to tell him too. Wouldn't we all have liked to have him back for the 2007 season, or have a tradeable commodity at the very least?

It doesn't add up. If Wilson's allegations are true, then it means that we were just cutting off our nose to spite our face. Maybe we did, but I'm going to reserve judgement on this one.

Nurse Red
03-14-2008, 10:22 AM
True, however it makes me wonder......he didnt get a second opinion? That would be among the first things I would have done after a look over from the teams docs.

Its what I did after my knee injury a couple years ago playing football for my HS team.

Playing for your HS team is different than playing loyally PROFESSIONALLY for one team for so many years, having THEIR doctors look you over, and having them (who you have come to know and trust) tell you that you are ok to play.

I'm not going to speculate, I hope there's more to this, but I'm really upset right now, that man was a PILLAR for our team...

We owed him more than it seems like he got from us.

Nurse Red
03-14-2008, 10:29 AM
The "in writing" kind of makes me suspicious. Sounds like a legal loophole to me.

Personally, I loved Wilson as a Bronco and hated to see him go, but I think this is BS and have lost respect for the guy.

Gee, I wonder who the source might be on this? A disgruntled former "GM" perhaps?

That particular phrase made me question, too... but by the same token, if that's their responsibility, and it wasn't done, shame on them...

mclark
03-14-2008, 10:56 AM
I thought the Broncos' treatment of Wilson was shoddy even before reading this.

atwater27
03-14-2008, 11:17 AM
What kind of retard doesn't know his own body? What kind of retarded millionaire who did indeed leave the field on a stretcher, doesn't get a second opinion if the 1st one makes no sense?
Al Wilson was my favorite Bronco at the time, and I love the guy. I personally believe that his injury and his abscence on our D cost us several games and a playoff spot.
I still won't buy that story that a team kept a medical condition from a player.
You would have to prove that the doctor himself specifically hid information about his injury to him. A very tall tale to prove.

str8jacket
03-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Playing for your HS team is different than playing loyally PROFESSIONALLY for one team for so many years, having THEIR doctors look you over, and having them (who you have come to know and trust) tell you that you are ok to play.

I'm not going to speculate, I hope there's more to this, but I'm really upset right now, that man was a PILLAR for our team...

We owed him more than it seems like he got from us.

All's I'm saying is anyone in their right mind would get a second opinion just to be on the safe side, who knows? If I didnt get MY second opinion I may have problems with my leg to this day.

The dude was carried off on a stretcher, what did he expect? It not to be as serious as it looked?

fcspikeit
03-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Al's case is that he would have been able to have surgery right away and be ready for the 2007 season if we would have just told him.

If that's really the case, then it would have been in our best interest to tell him too. Wouldn't we all have liked to have him back for the 2007 season, or have a tradeable commodity at the very least?

It doesn't add up. If Wilson's allegations are true, then it means that we were just cutting off our nose to spite our face. Maybe we did, but I'm going to reserve judgement on this one.

I agree,

What would we have to gain by not telling him? We lost out on a good player, not to mention the ability to trade him.

The worst thing about this is, we will probably never know whether Al was told the seriousness of his condition or not... That's what were talking about here right? Did he know how bad he was hurt. He says no. If the team didn't put it in writing we will have a hard time proving we told him.. Not to mention we will lose the case, from the sounds of it, we were supposed to put it in writing. Just because we might lose the case, DON'T mean he wasn't told!

People will forever believe we tride to pull one over on him (and ourselves) if we lose the case. IMO the important thing to find out is if he was told or not, I could care less whether they put it in writing.

mclark
03-14-2008, 12:41 PM
What kind of retard doesn't know his own body? What kind of retarded millionaire who did indeed leave the field on a stretcher, doesn't get a second opinion if the 1st one makes no sense?
Al Wilson was my favorite Bronco at the time, and I love the guy. I personally believe that his injury and his abscence on our D cost us several games and a playoff spot.
I still won't buy that story that a team kept a medical condition from a player.
You would have to prove that the doctor himself specifically hid information about his injury to him. A very tall tale to prove.

The 'in writing' might be a legal requirement. If so, then the Broncos might be liable if they didn't comply.

Denver clearly said nothing in the press about Wilson's condition and tried to trade him to Detroit with the knowledge that he was hurt. (I'm sure we're not the first organization in the NFL to try to do this, however,)

fcspikeit
03-14-2008, 01:25 PM
The 'in writing' might be a legal requirement. If so, then the Broncos might be liable if they didn't comply.

Denver clearly said nothing in the press about Wilson's condition and tried to trade him to Detroit with the knowledge that he was hurt. (I'm sure we're not the first organization in the NFL to try to do this, however,)

Wasn't it the Giants?

mclark
03-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Wasn't it the Giants?

They spoke with both the Giants and the Lions. The Lions gave him the physical he flunked, if I remember right.

fcspikeit
03-14-2008, 02:43 PM
They spoke with both the Giants and the Lions. The Lions gave him the physical he flunked, if I remember right.

Not that it really matters but I think he flunked the giants physical :whoknows:

Post #5 (http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=176632&postcount=5)

GEM
03-14-2008, 02:47 PM
Sounds like a case of wanting more $$ to me... Memo to Al: You got carted off the field on a stretcher. Now he wants us to believe he didn't know his back was hurt until he failed a physical because he didn't get it in writing?

Sorry, not buying it. I love Al, wish he could have finished out his career with us, but this seems like nothing more than a greedy lawyer trying to exploit a technicality.

I love Al as well. Hell, on the other board, he is my sig. But don't you all think it's just a little funny that there has been minimal interest in Al so far in the offseason, he isn't looking at a pay day anytime soon and now all the sudden this just shows up out of nowhere?

I'm not buying it either. I will wait to see when the facts come out, but something just isn't right with the info as it's been presented so far.

Superchop 7
03-14-2008, 03:18 PM
I keep thinking about this deal, I have probably run the full gamut of emotions since I started this thread because I like the team as much as the player and it clouds the thought process.

What in the wide, wide, world of sports is a goin on ?

That being said.

OK, he went off on a stretcher.

Meaning, he went to a hospital.

The "hospital" would have had to screw up. How could they not tell their patient he has a herniated disc ? (they are legally bound to tell him)

Shanny might be able to get greek to lie, but theres no way he could get a hospital to lie.

So, the conspiracy theory is out the window.

As for the "why isn't anyone after Al" question, my best guess is that teams do not want to hire a guy who might sue them. I can't blame them for that, but, I do believe Al can still play at a high level.

I hope we get to the bottom of this soon, there are too many questions and not enough answers.

sanluis
03-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Why did Denver released Al ?
Who's responsible for the injured employee?--(doctor, team, patient)
Is Al wrong to be looking out for his interests?
Is Denver wrong to be looking out for their interests?

I think this all boils down to business. Both parties are looking out for themselves and I think they have every right to do just that. Al could have had his surgery if he was notified of his condition in a timely manner. Denver didn't want to risk big dollars on an injured player. Happens all the time.

I do feel Al deserved better treatment from Denver on a personal level. But we all have to remember this is business.

Superchop 7
03-14-2008, 05:57 PM
There enlies the root of the problem.

It's "more" than business.

It's personal.

I have a "vested" interest, alot of people have a "vested" interest.

This is about two good foundations of people/entities or at least at the end of the day I would still like to believe that.

Keep the lawyers out of it.

Lawyers always look out for themselves, period, end of story.

The question is......how do good people come together and fix an "obvious" problem ?

What happened ? Why did it happen ? and how do we keep it from happening again ?

Retired_Member_001
03-14-2008, 06:51 PM
I really hope Al Wilson can walk out of this was some respect. He won't win a lawsuit, I mean what is he going to say? " Yeah uh, I never knew I had back problems despite being taken to hospital on a stretcher. I didn't know being benched in the season ender that could have gotten us into the playoffs meant that I have injury problems"

I love ya' Big Al but you're out of line here.

Superchop 7
03-14-2008, 07:35 PM
I love Al as well. Hell, on the other board, he is my sig. But don't you all think it's just a little funny that there has been minimal interest in Al so far in the offseason, he isn't looking at a pay day anytime soon and now all the sudden this just shows up out of nowhere?

I'm not buying it either. I will wait to see when the facts come out, but something just isn't right with the info as it's been presented so far.

__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

Please fix your hair.
, for God's sake.

Bronco9798
03-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Let's see.

Al got hurt, no one is sure who told who what, and Al wants money. Al is no longer a Bronco, Sundquist got fired, Elam has no contract, we signed Colbert, two at the safety position, a Linebacker, and an OL we never heard of got released. The draft is next month, free-agency is nearing it's end, the mini-camps and camps will open one day soon. We'll have a 53 man roster in place and the 2008 season will be upon us.

Gotta love the off-season. Please, let the season begin!!!!!!!!

Superchop 7
03-14-2008, 09:24 PM
Let's see.

Al got hurt, no one is sure who told who what, and Al wants money. Al is no longer a Bronco, Sundquist got fired, Elam has no contract, we signed Colbert, two at the safety position, a Linebacker, and an OL we never heard of got released. The draft is next month, free-agency is nearing it's end, the mini-camps and camps will open one day soon. We'll have a 53 man roster in place and the 2008 season will be upon us.

Gotta love the off-season. Please, let the season begin!!!!!!!!

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

Let Boss Bailey speak.

Superchop 7
03-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Think about this for a minute,

When can a coach fire a GM in the nfl ?????

weazel
03-14-2008, 11:36 PM
lucky for the Broncos, Al doesnt know how to wrap up! He'll probably just lunge at the money head first and let it slip right through his arms when they hand it to him.

frauschieze
03-15-2008, 12:29 AM
Think about this for a minute,

When can a coach fire a GM in the nfl ?????

A coach didn't fire a GM. The VP of Football Operations did. Just so happens in this case....they are the same people. http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2290/2169584353_2b93020555_o.gif

mclark
03-15-2008, 12:52 AM
Not that it really matters but I think he flunked the giants physical :whoknows:

Post #5 (http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=176632&postcount=5)

You're right -- it was with the Giants.

Superchop 7
03-15-2008, 01:56 AM
After sifting,

Does anyone have anything "credible" to contribute ?

I realize this takes someone older than 12.

fcspikeit
03-15-2008, 03:31 AM
After sifting,

Does anyone have anything "credible" to contribute ?

I realize this takes someone older than 12.

And the point of this "credible" contribution is to attract more insubstantial dissension's? :lol:

Nature Boy
03-15-2008, 06:25 AM
Sounds like Al is good and ready to play.

Superchop 7
03-15-2008, 10:28 AM
And the point of this "credible" contribution is to attract more insubstantial dissension's? :lol:

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________

yep, that's what I'm after.