PDA

View Full Version : Why haven't we signed Duckett or Johnson?

Hoshdude7
03-12-2008, 07:48 PM
Just wondering why these guys remain unsigned, and why Denver has showed little or no interest in them. We need a number 2 receiver and I don't think we should use the draft in this case because to get a solid number 2 we would have to draft in the first or second round. When these guys are out there it would not make sense to wait. I would prefer Hackett but I don't want Denver to spend too much on them.

What do you guys think, or have info on? :coffee:

shank
03-12-2008, 07:50 PM
because johnson is probably currently deciding what dump-truck full of cash to take

and duckett already signed with seattle.

(i'd love to get johnson, but not for the price he's probably going to get... berrian got 7 mil/yr and i think much more highly of johnson)

Hoshdude7
03-12-2008, 07:51 PM
because johnson is probably currently deciding what dump-truck full of cash to take

(i'd love to get johnson, but not for the price he's probably going to get... berrian got 7 mil/yr and i think much more highly of johnson)

Thanks for the info on Duckett, I haven't even heard anything on him in a while.

shank
03-12-2008, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the info on Duckett, I haven't even heard anything on him in a while.

no prob. the hawks signed duckett and julius jones.

i better not see you make a 'let's get shaun alexander' thread :laugh:

and like i said, i'd love bryant here, his price is just too high. although i am disappointed that we never even brought him in for a visit.

maybe they think that highly of colbert? i hope so, cause i'd rather not get a first day wr...

Hoshdude7
03-12-2008, 08:03 PM
no prob. the hawks signed duckett and julius jones.

i better not see you make a 'let's get shaun alexander' thread :laugh:

and like i said, i'd love bryant here, his price is just too high. although i am disappointed that we never even brought him in for a visit.

maybe they think that highly of colbert? i hope so, cause i'd rather not get a first day wr...

I never liked SA :lol:
Maybe I should make a "lets trade for Ahman Green" thread :laugh:

Stand Ablaze
03-12-2008, 08:55 PM
Just wondering why these guys remain unsigned, and why Denver has showed little or no interest in them. We need a number 2 receiver and I don't think we should use the draft in this case because to get a solid number 2 we would have to draft in the first or second round. When these guys are out there it would not make sense to wait. I would prefer Duckett but I don't want Denver to spend too much on them.

What do you guys think, or have info on? :coffee:

Do you mean D.J. Hackett?

:confused:

fcspikeit
03-12-2008, 09:13 PM

I think he ment D.J. Hackett the WR, Instead of T.J Duckett the RB?

SmilinAssasSin27
03-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Word on the street is that the pool is lukewarm for Johnson. Now is the time for us to at least see how tepid...

fcspikeit
03-13-2008, 12:02 AM
Word on the street is that the pool is lukewarm for Johnson. Now is the time for us to at least see how tepid...

Whats the harm in bringing him in for talks?

Has anyone even talked with him? For some reason I was thinking the Bills had him in for a sit down, but I could be wrong...

With each day he should get a little cheaper, I'm sure he would like to know where his new home will be.. We should bring him in, give him an offer and if nothing else it will be on the table... Someone is going to and up signing him for cheaper then we probably would have paid... If his wants are way more then we are willing to give, what have we lost?

TimBuff10
03-13-2008, 12:29 AM
Hackett is a no-brainer... would make a perfect fit as the #2 in Denver. I can't imagine his asking price is in the range of what Javon Walker was due to get this year either.

And I would take Shaun Alexander instead of Henry and Young but we better get a good one in the draft in the next year or two if that happened.

Lonestar
03-13-2008, 12:37 AM
I posted this in the WR thread..

What I was trying to say was there are only so many touches and balls do not grow on trees.. Back in 2000 if I remember correctly our all pro HOF TE was in BAL. Someone else had to pick up most of that slack Eddie and Rod..

You know as well as I do, unless we totally dominate TOP, which even back in SB years is not normally skewed more than a couple of minutes over the other team..

It just does not happen.. there are just so many passes and so many runs.. If we are able to eat clock with the run then less passes are thrown..

I'm not going to argue the point any farther but if you wish to try to disprove it please by all means do so..

pass attp comp yards run attp. yards TOP
2001 511 312 3208 481 1877 31:41
2002 554 359 4139 457 2266 31:08
2003 479 280 3126 543 2629 34:04
2004 521 303 4089 534 2333 32:38
2005 465 279 3373 542 2539 32:40
2006 454 256 2995 488 2152 30:24
2007 515 326 3759 429 1957 29:35
==================================
avg 494 302 3527 496 2250
diff 21+ 24+ 232+ 67- 293-
2007 under over avg.

We threw more 4.2% in 2007 than the prior 6 years and we ran less. 13% less

Do you really think we are going to be able to find another 60-80 balls for a #2? And that means to get 60 receptions you will have to throw about 95 more passes.

I do not see it..That is the need for a stud #2.. A nice to have but not worth BIG money for..

I could only go back to 2001 as the site I trust and use for stats only goes back that far..
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2001/broncos/
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2002/broncos/
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2003/broncos/
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2004/broncos/
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2005/broncos/
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2006/broncos/
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2007/broncos/

Plus if you have not figured it out we are not going after high profile FA this year Pat has laid down the LAW..

fcspikeit
03-13-2008, 02:01 AM
I posted this in the WR thread..

Plus if you have not figured it out we are not going after high profile FA this year Pat has laid down the LAW..

By High profile I am assuming your meaning "high priced"? If we got either of these guys now they would come cheaper then they would have 2 week ago.

All the high profile guys are normaly gone with in the first 3 days of FA. Beings they are still there tells us they aren't really high profile guys..

Also, you make some good points about there only being so many balls to go around.

The thing is that you need enough talent to at least make the defense wonder where the ball might go. If the only real WR threat we have is BMarsh, it will be easy to take the ball out of his hands. I know we have Stokley too. Here's the thing, If we have 2 WR's on the field and he is one of them, he is playing #2. From my understanding, Shanahan don't want him getting the amount of balls the normal #2 gets.

SR
03-13-2008, 02:36 PM
Why haven't we gone after them? Because a) we don't need them and b) they're too expensive. Apparently you haven't noticed the trend with our signings this year. We're drafting our talent while we pick up low key, potentially high reward free agents (i.e. McCree, that Greek LB we got from SEA, Boss Bailey). Our WR core is fine. We've got a stud #1 in Marshall, a pretty decent #2 in Colbert, and one of the best slot WRs in the game with Stokely. On top of that, we've got one of the best blocking TEs in the game in Daniel Graham and we've got a great pass catching TE in Scheffler. With the emergency of Martinez as good depth last year, I wouldn't be surprised to see us go after another "depth" WR or two.

Lonestar
03-13-2008, 05:03 PM
By High profile I am assuming your meaning "high priced"? If we got either of these guys now they would come cheaper then they would have 2 week ago.

All the high profile guys are normaly gone with in the first 3 days of FA. Beings they are still there tells us they aren't really high profile guys..

Also, you make some good points about there only being so many balls to go around.

The thing is that you need enough talent to at least make the defense wonder where the ball might go. If the only real WR threat we have is BMarsh, it will be easy to take the ball out of his hands. I know we have Stokley too. Here's the thing, If we have 2 WR's on the field and he is one of them, he is playing #2. From my understanding, Shanahan don't want him getting the amount of balls the normal #2 gets.

High profile means producers. Why would we want someone that does not produce? Just to have someone? I think we have the bodies in place now except for depth.

Why haven't we gone after them? Because a) we don't need them and b) they're too expensive. Apparently you haven't noticed the trend with our signings this year. We're drafting our talent while we pick up low key, potentially high reward free agents (i.e. McCree, that Greek LB we got from SEA, Boss Bailey). Our WR core is fine. We've got a stud #1 in Marshall, a pretty decent #2 in Colbert, and one of the best slot WRs in the game with Stokely. On top of that, we've got one of the best blocking TEs in the game in Daniel Graham and we've got a great pass catching TE in Scheffler. With the emergency of Martinez as good depth last year, I wouldn't be surprised to see us go after another "depth" WR or two.

We have the starters in place but with little depth..
Perhaps your correct we are going to find some more UDFA after the draft and perhaps a WR late on day two..

SR
03-13-2008, 06:08 PM
If we can stay healthy this year, we'll have a very potent team on both sides of the ball. The thing I'm most excited about is the Greek (our new MLB). Scouting reports say this guy is as good as Vilma.

fcspikeit
03-13-2008, 06:59 PM
High profile means producers. Why would we want someone that does not produce? Just to have someone? I think we have the bodies in place now except for depth.

If we could get a "High Profile/Producer" here that we only had to pay a second level salary too, why wouldn't we bring him here?

If the guy was so good he took some balls away from B Marsh then so be it!

Look at it this way, If Marshall is doubled all season we will have to throw at him 180 times for him to have 100 receptions. If we have a so so #2, we will have to throw at him 80 times to have 45 receptions. That is a total of 260 attempts and 145 completions. Our completion % will be down because it is harder to complete to a WR who is always doubled..

If we have a good/great #2, we can throw at Marshall 140 and the #2 120. Beings Marshall will not be doubled as much, he will have a higher completion %. So out of the 140 he should have about 90 receptions and the better #2 should have around 75 receptions.. That is a total of 260 attempts and 165 completions..

We will not be throwing more balls but we will be completing more, Make sense?

This is all theory of course, however, we all know it really does make sense to have a higher completion rate throwing to a guy who is single covered rather then throwing to a guy who is doubled every play..

Getting a good/great #2 will more then help the production of the #2 it will also help the production of the #1... Not to mention, it will help keep the #1 healthy.

The increase don't justify over paying for a good #2 but if we can get one at the right price, it only makes sense to bring him in...

Skinny
03-13-2008, 07:10 PM
Our WR core is fine. We've got a stud #1 in Marshall, a pretty decent #2 in Colbert, and one of the best slot WRs in the game with Stokely. I wish i was as optimistic as you when talking about the WRs, 'If we can stay healthy' is the BIG key. Healthy, the WR starting unit is 'functional'.

Colbert as our #1, should BMarsh go down, is a nightmare waiting to happen IMO. Or does Mikey fill that position with Martinez?? Hamilton?? Sheppard??

Either way, i'm waking up with cold sweats ...

Lonestar
03-13-2008, 07:20 PM
If we could get a "High Profile/Producer" here that we only had to pay a second level salary too, why wouldn't we bring him here?

If they guy was so good he took some balls away from B Marsh then so be it!

Look at it this way, If Marshall is doubled all season we will have to throw at him 180 times for him to have 100 receptions. If we have a so so #2, we will have to throw at him 80 times to have 45 receptions. That is a total of 260 attempts and 145 completions. Our completion % will be down because it is harder to complete to a WR who is always doubled..

If we have a good/great #2, we can throw at Marshall 140 and the #2 120. Beings Marshall will not be doubled as much, he will have a higher completion %. So out of the 140 he should have about 90 receptions and the better #2 should have around 75 receptions.. That is a total of 260 attempts and 165 completions..

We will not be throwing more balls but we will be completing more, Make sense?

This is all theory of course, however, we all know it really does make sense to have a higher completion rate throwing to a guy who is single covered rather then throwing to a guy who is doubled every play..

Getting a good/great #2 will more then help the production of the #2 it will also help the production of the #1... Not to mention, it will help keep the #1 healthy.

The increase don't justify over paying for a good #2 but if we can get one at the right price, it only makes sense to bring him in...

If we can get another experienced WR that can block, go over the middle, has good hands and is cheap, I have no problems with that. I do not expect Marshall or any other WR to catch 100 ball each year.. 75-90 is IMO a good range. But remember we have Scheffler who could if necessary fall into the split out spot also he is big enough and fast enough to cause most CB a fit.. Not a burner but he can catch the ball. Nate could come in to play TE.

I'm hoping we get the OLINE fixed so Graham can make some grabs he is a load.. Him getting 25-40 would be pretty good also.. Deep in the red zone I wonder if DJ could become a threat?

The deal would have to be awfully good IMO to do much more than add depth and players for 2 years from now....

MOtorboat
03-13-2008, 07:21 PM
Why haven't we signed Duckett or Johnson?

Because we need neither.

SR
03-13-2008, 08:45 PM
I wish i was as optimistic as you when talking about the WRs, 'If we can stay healthy' is the BIG key. Healthy, the WR starting unit is 'functional'.

Colbert as our #1, should BMarsh go down, is a nightmare waiting to happen IMO. Or does Mikey fill that position with Martinez?? Hamilton?? Sheppard??

We'll either draft some depth or pick some up in free agency. I'm not worried about it.

Hoshdude7
03-14-2008, 06:28 PM
Bryant Johnson just signed with San Fran

fcspikeit
03-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Bryant Johnson just signed with San Fran

I seen that too. It was a 1 year deal. It didn't say how much for...

TXBRONC
03-15-2008, 08:23 PM
We'll either draft some depth or pick some up in free agency. I'm not worried about it.

Exactly there is on sense worrying about something we have no control over.

ikillz0mbies
03-15-2008, 09:22 PM
Well with Johnson signing with the Niners, Jackson might get released by them. Just saying...

wandlc
03-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Well with Johnson signing with the Niners, Jackson might get released by them. Just saying...

Already happened.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10712033

Lonestar
03-15-2008, 10:18 PM
to play alongside Arnaz Battle and Ashley Lelie in what's been arguably the NFL's least impressive group of pass-catchers for the last few seasons.

Last spring, they signed Lelie and took a chance on Jackson in a trade with Seattle for a fourth-round pick. Neither deal has worked out, with Lelie struggling to get playing time behind Battle and Jackson.

Pretty impressive huh, one of our #1's way to go mikey..

SmilinAssasSin27
03-16-2008, 12:58 AM
it's kinda funny that even with their obvious deficencies, Shanny can still get these guys to perform. Now granted, Ash wasn't making the HOF, but dude put up some pretty solid numbers and was a legit deep threat. Then he just disappears...

Lonestar
03-16-2008, 01:04 AM
it's kinda funny that even with their obvious deficiencies, Shanny can still get these guys to perform. Now granted, Ash wasn't making the HOF, but dude put up some pretty solid numbers and was a legit deep threat. Then he just disappears...

the only thing he did was deep .. His 2004 season an anomaly because of the ROE thingy. Every WR had a banner year..

He was a total waste of #1.. you do not do deep threat one trick ponies with a #1..

TXBRONC
03-16-2008, 08:04 PM
the only thing he did was deep .. His 2004 season an anomaly because of the ROE thingy. Every WR had a banner year..

He was a total waste of #1.. you do not do deep threat one trick ponies with a #1..

No it was the quarterback that throwing to him at the time that was the problem.

Hoshdude7
03-16-2008, 08:34 PM
It wont let me edit the title to Hackett instead of Duckett.

TXBRONC
03-16-2008, 09:01 PM
I wish i was as optimistic as you when talking about the WRs, 'If we can stay healthy' is the BIG key. Healthy, the WR starting unit is 'functional'.

Don't forget about Stokely. Having him would offset the loss of Marshall to some degree. More than likely it would be a small degree, nonetheless he is good receiver to have around.

fcspikeit
03-17-2008, 02:36 PM
D.J. Hackett Just signed with the Panthers for 2 years and 3.5 mill.. We would have payed him less then we are paying Colbert..

Shanny must be really high on Colbert to have signed him without even talking to Hackitt first.. Does anyone know how much Johnson got for his 1 year deal with the 9iners?