PDA

View Full Version : NFL may ban 3 point stance

Dean
02-15-2010, 10:16 AM
I was reading this article
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/07/three-point-stance-could-get-the-boot/ and I am wondering what implications this might have if it is implimented.

Would it minimize the importance of the running game in the NFL? Would it shift personnel to smaller more agile linemen? Though it may be good for linemen I am not sure that it is good for the game.

What do you think?:confused:

Nomad
02-15-2010, 10:29 AM
What this guy said!:lol:
------------------------------
Rodgeryards12 says:
February 8, 2010 11:04 PM
theyre banning the three point stance and not the pro bowl? this is absurd

HORSEPOWER 56
02-15-2010, 10:32 AM
I think it's just one more step to turning the NFL into the NFFL (National Flag Football League). The thought is that it will lessen collisions between linemen and thereby minimize concussions. I think it's bogus. I don't think it will solve anything (just as many concussions), it will just minimize the effectiveness of run blocking because guys won't have the power when firing off the ball at the snap anymore.

Don't change the rules, change the equipment to better protect the players. Oh wait, it's cheaper to change the rules than to redesign the equipment. I forgot it's really about money not about player's safety. :tsk:

MasterShake
02-15-2010, 10:49 AM
I was reading this article
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/07/three-point-stance-could-get-the-boot/ and I am wondering what implications this might have if it is implimented.

Would it minimize the importance of the running game in the NFL? Would it shift personnel to smaller more agile linemen? Though it may be good for linemen I am not sure that it is good for the game.

What do you think?:confused:

Its all about the explosiveness off the line. So many of these athletes today are huge AND fast, and starting in a 3 point stance definitely give you more pop after the snap. Don't they want to do this to limit concussions because this usually results in head on collisions?

I like the idea. It forces lineman to actually block and let plays develop and the running game might actually be better. Draws and pulls like McD likes to run might actually work! :lol:

SoCalImport
02-15-2010, 10:54 AM
I think it's just one more step to turning the NFL into the NFFL (National Flag Football League). The thought is that it will lessen collisions between linemen and thereby minimize concussions. I think it's bogus. I don't think it will solve anything (just as many concussions), it will just minimize the effectiveness of run blocking because guys won't have the power when firing off the ball at the snap anymore.

Don't change the rules, change the equipment to better protect the players. Oh wait, it's cheaper to change the rules than to redesign the equipment. I forgot it's really about money not about player's safety. :tsk:

I think that the NFL would consider the implications of the rule change as it might apply to the fan base. There's a greater chance of profit loss as less fans come to love the game due to lame changes like this.
Guaranteed the expense of (again) redesigning the helmets would be nothing when comparing it to those #s.

When it comes down to it, IT'S A DANGEROUS JOB! but no more dangerous than thousands of others and certainly less dangerous than some (law enforcement/military/crab fisherman), and NFL players get paid through the nose (yes. even the bench warmers)

MasterShake
02-15-2010, 10:56 AM
I think that the NFL would consider the implications of the rule change as it might apply to the fan base. There's a greater chance of profit loss as less fans come to love the game due to lame changes like this.
Guaranteed the expense of (again) redesigning the helmets would be nothing when comparing it to those #s.

When it comes down to it, IT'S A DANGEROUS JOB! but no more dangerous than thousands of others and certainly less dangerous than some (law enforcement/military/crab fisherman), and NFL players get paid through the nose (yes. even the bench warmers)

You don't think the running game would open up? Or would it just be a log jam? For some reason I think with everyone standing and blocking the back might be able to run around them like trees. Power game would be gone, though...

I don't know, I guess!

atwater27
02-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Football is a gladiator sport. Do not change the game, you will lose the fans. "Are you not entertained?!"

I can fully support changes at the high school and college level to protect kids, but leave the Roman Coliseums alone.

Ravage!!!
02-15-2010, 11:18 AM
I think this is a horrible thing. so the defensive line, then had to start up? What about on the goal line? Everyone knows, the man that gets the lowest wins. THis is just crap. This will completely change the game, and is changing it to a WEAK-ASS league. The OL and DL aren't getting concussions from the 6 inch colllistion that is happening from the OL-DL smack. ITs happening when someone gets a running start.... such as a RB or a blitzing LB.

I absolutelyl HATE this!! Might as well take off the pads.

Lonestar
02-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Does that also mean that the defense can't use it also. If so it also allows an evened up game plan.

Then neither side can tee off

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

Ravage!!!
02-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Does that also mean that the defense can't use it also. If so it also allows an evened up game plan.

Then neither side can tee off

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

Give me two steps and I can hit you just as hard from my two-point stance as I can from a three. The only "tee-off" a player gets is when they have a head of steam, which you don't get from a three point stance hitting a guy 12" in front of you.

Man.. can you imagine how lame the trenches are going to be with both lines in a two point stance? It will be like watching guys play paddy-cake.

Ravage!!!
02-15-2010, 11:33 AM
Also makes me wonder, if they make this stupid change, if we shouldn't make plans to hurry FAST to the old blocking scheme. Faster OL are going to be the way to go.

Dean
02-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Also makes me wonder, if they make this stupid change, if we shouldn't make plans to hurry FAST to the old blocking scheme. Faster OL are going to be the way to go.

I was thinking the same thing. Stretch blocking and double teaming the point of attack and reading who releases to pick up the LB would not be significantly affected. The power blocking schemes would be ineffective due to the ability of the D-lineman to avoid contact.

I would expect to see more angles, stunts, and twists out of the defensive front seven.

Offensively, I would think that the there would be forty passes a game by each team. That is not something I would look forward to.

SoCalImport
02-15-2010, 11:53 AM
Football is a gladiator sport. Do not change the game, you will lose the fans. "Are you not entertained?!"

I can fully support changes at the high school and college level to protect kids, but leave the Roman Coliseums alone.

Pretty much sums up my opinion. These pros get paid loads to entertain us with their athleticism while playing a violent game.

Don't sissify the NFL!

Skinny
02-15-2010, 11:55 AM
If I wanted to watch Arena League football, I would watch the Arena League. Boooo.

Foochacho
02-15-2010, 12:10 PM
If this happens I hope enough people will boycott. What a stupid ass idea. this changes the game completely.

girler
02-15-2010, 12:22 PM
This reminds me of that one episode of The Jetsons, where everyone watched as the two coaches gave plays to the robots. Only now it would be everyone watching people play Madden football. Much less dangerous. :puke:

Give me atwater27's Gladiators!!! I must be entertained! :salute:

spikerman
02-15-2010, 12:31 PM
As soon as it becomes a "non-contact" league I'm coming out of retirement!

Biz1
02-15-2010, 12:37 PM
"A two-point stance would allow players to start the process of blocking and shedding blocks with their heads in a higher position."

Gee thanks NFL(denote sarcasm), that should slow down the game by about 30% or so. How in the hell are you supposed to completely adjust your hand/footwork on both lines?, a 2 point stance completely changes your center of gravity(mine as well have Sumo wresting!). As another poster here suggested, improve the helmets and leave the game alone. It's already lost enough integrity.

dogfish
02-15-2010, 01:37 PM
if they ban the three point stance, they should go ahead and ban the eight figure pay checks as well. . .

i know i won't be watching. . . .

Shazam!
02-15-2010, 02:47 PM
It's not gonna happen people.

Dean
02-15-2010, 05:25 PM
It's not gonna happen people.

As long as I have your word on it that will be good enough for me.;)

Poet
02-16-2010, 12:31 AM
In a league where they go to great lengths to ensure offensive games this would just be another terrible by the NFL.

You can't touch a corner, you can't hit a QB hard, you can't jack someone and talk any trash and you can't use the wedge on special teams anymore.

Football players are tough guys. I'm all for a lot of the rules that actually do something, but it's not the lineman who are getting mauled out there. In fact, most NFL players aren't getting mauled, they're getting hurt, not injured.

It hurts to get tackled. You don't usually get injured. Lineman get hurt from banging hard over the course of a season. They also play longer that most positions. Bigger bodies wear down, but some bigger bodies wear slower.

They're grown men. Just because they get paid a lot doesn't mean they should be put in harm's way (to an extent), but when you're getting paid to bang up on other beasts who are flocking to a ball carrier people get hurt.

They get paid, they play.

scott.475
02-16-2010, 12:57 AM
First, all the commish said was that he would not rule it out. That is a far cry from saying they are actively investigating it, have plans for it, will do it, etc.

Second, remember the NFL is a government granted monopoly. Know all those folks in DC who are all oh so much smarter than us? Well, they are also oh so much smarter than the players, owners, heck, everyone, and they have been all over this concussion thing just so they can get a little extra face time, so you better bet the commish is not going to say anything that some DC politician can use to drag him in front of some committee in order to berate for all the world to see, leaving the commish, who has to protect the monopoly, no choice but to say "Thank you, may I have another?"

Third, not saying it doesn't happen, but I honestly can't think of a time a lineman got a concussion. QBs, RBs, WRs, yes, but I don't see how a 2 point stance would help those guys. I think mandating that QBs wear brain cushion type mouth guards would go a long way toward helping them. It has been a long time since I played football, but as lineman I don't ever remember being coached to go helmet-to-helmet with someone. I know some folks here played college and maybe even pro ball, but down on the line aren't you generally trying to get your helmet to one side or the other of the other guy to help push him where you want him to go? I am willing to stand corrected, but it is not like these guys are going at each other like two rams, where you are trying to take the other guy down with a full speed, helmet-to-helmet blow.

Shazam!
02-16-2010, 01:28 AM
We can thank that Senator (forgot her name) for this if it ever becomes a reality.

I just can't see it.

denbroncofan26
02-16-2010, 03:50 AM
"The league has demonstrated over the past few months an unprecedented commitment to reducing the number and severity of head injuries. The effort began not long after a House Committee made it clear to the NFL that, if the league doesn't address the problem, Congress will do it instead."

Does that not scare anyone else?

The government is forcing Gooddell to turn this league into two-hand touch! When will society recognize that everything the government interferes with ends up worse off for it? Congress regulating the NFL is flat-out absurd.

gobroncsnv
02-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Then again, if congress is looking at this, maybe they won't have time to get into health care and a cap and tax system to help fight off global warming... :elefant:

CoachChaz
02-16-2010, 08:09 AM
I dont see it happening. if it does...it's a HUGE change. Then you have to start teaching the kids in PeeWee football how to play this way as well and it would have to circumvent through high school and college ball as well. Call me crazy, but I dont think too many people ever got a concussion from hitting someone 8-12 inches away with a helmet on. It's the blindside running hits that create concussions.

But if it did happen...it would actually improve the running game. Blocking stunts and schemes would be hidden and there would be alot more guesswork for DL's and LB's

FanInAZ
02-16-2010, 05:16 PM
What about the centers? Does this mean that they will no longer be allowed to snap the ball between their legs because it is basically a variation of a 4 point stance. For them to snap the ball from a 2 point stance, they would have to snap it side ways like is usually done on the playgrounds. This would include when it comes to punt when they would have to toss it back about 15yards underhanded. I have a hard time picturing the long snappers being able to do this with any degree of accuracy. This sounds like a special teams disaster in the making.

rcsodak
02-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Its all about the explosiveness off the line. So many of these athletes today are huge AND fast, and starting in a 3 point stance definitely give you more pop after the snap. Don't they want to do this to limit concussions because this usually results in head on collisions?

I like the idea. It forces lineman to actually block and let plays develop and the running game might actually be better. Draws and pulls like McD likes to run might actually work! :lol:

From the mouth of an ex-lineman:
"STUPIDEST THING I'VE EVER HEARD!"

'So let me get this straight:
They're going to start with pee-wee, up through PW/HS/College and reteach them all?

How many linemen have had a concussion from a 6" collision?

Anybody know?'

:lol:

Almost wrecked when I heard this on Sirius NFL.

Dean
02-16-2010, 08:06 PM
I dont see it happening. if it does...it's a HUGE change. Then you have to start teaching the kids in PeeWee football how to play this way as well and it would have to circumvent through high school and college ball as well. Call me crazy, but I dont think too many people ever got a concussion from hitting someone 8-12 inches away with a helmet on. It's the blindside running hits that create concussions.

But if it did happen...it would actually improve the running game. Blocking stunts and schemes would be hidden and there would be alot more guesswork for DL's and LB's

It happened when they outlawed using the facemask to tackle with. More recently they did it when they quit allowing blocking below the waist. It happened with not allowing the center after a punt snap to be hit.

Those changes were implimented and coaches made the changes the very next year.

Why is it so hard for O-linemen to block Lbs? Because they are far enough away that the LB can see the blocker coming and avoid it.

It could happen and the game would adjust just as it has in the past. My question is, "Would it be good for football?" :confused:

rcsodak
02-16-2010, 10:15 PM
It happened when they outlawed using the facemask to tackle with. More recently they did it when they quit allowing blocking below the waist. It happened with not allowing the center after a punt snap to be hit.

Those changes were implimented and coaches made the changes the very next year.

Why is it so hard for O-linemen to block Lbs? Because they are far enough away that the LB can see the blocker coming and avoid it.

It could happen and the game would adjust just as it has in the past. My question is, "Would it be good for football?" :confused:

My question, starts with a W?

WHAT will be it's purpose?

WHY is it even being considered?

WHO is the idiot that thought this obtuse idea up?

WHERE is this idiot's head?

WHEN did this idiot suffer his most recent concussion?

aberdien
02-17-2010, 12:52 AM
Ban football! Time for the US to embrace Futbol!

Dean
02-17-2010, 07:36 AM

Surely, we haven't declined to the point that we are a third world nation, yet.

gobroncsnv
02-17-2010, 07:51 AM
But it's hard to escape the feeling that is where we're being led...

Broncolingus
02-17-2010, 09:29 AM
I think it's just one more step to turning the NFL into the NFFL (National Flag Football League).

I'll switch over to this if that happens...

http://cdn.holytaco.com/www/sites/default/files/images/2009/11/football-lingerie-bowl-08.jpg

Come to think of it, I might just do that regardless...

THE719!
02-20-2010, 11:18 AM
from my sources I heard they are trying to change the rule on tackling to touch.... i got a comment on this matter but he dose not want to be known.... "I like this rule change people are to mean in tackling grrrr"

Ravage!!!
02-20-2010, 11:51 AM

They have uncovered several communist plans that were in place, to have soccer take over as the #1 sport in america. Very thought out and well planned scenarios that would put soccer on the tv, throughout the US in place of american football.

The idea was, that if they could have the United States watching soccer on a Sunday afternoon, everyone would be asleep from the boredom, that the country would be prime for the hostile take-over!

Thank goodness our government has continued to thwart this tragedy from happening

broncofanatic1987
02-20-2010, 10:34 PM
I think Goodell is probably just making sure it doesn't look like he's blowing off the fat cats in Washington.

I also think the fat cats in Washington are just blowing smoke so they can pander for good publicity while they're screwing everything else up.

I think it's very unlikely that the NFL would ban the three point stance.

Medford Bronco
02-22-2010, 08:04 PM
This reminds me of that one episode of The Jetsons, where everyone watched as the two coaches gave plays to the robots. Only now it would be everyone watching people play Madden football. Much less dangerous. :puke:

Give me atwater27's Gladiators!!! I must be entertained! :salute:

It reminds me of the 'new' Coke in the early 80s
what a disaster that was:lol:

Now they have Coke 'classic' which should have never been changed

Nomad
02-22-2010, 08:10 PM

And 'Coke' shirts were in style and the clothes to have!!:D
Bring back memories or what!!:)
http://www.inthe80s.com/clothes/cocacolabrandclothing1.shtml

girler
02-22-2010, 09:10 PM

I went that whole summer drinking Pepsi. :tsk:

jhildebrand
02-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Maybe the next two changes could be:

1. QB starts the play with the ball in his hand

2. DE's and other pass rushers must count to 10 banana before chasing the QB!

Nomad
02-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Maybe the next two changes could be:

1. QB starts the play with the ball in his hand

2. DE's and other pass rushers must count to 10 banana before chasing the QB!

Just like backyard football instead we use to count 10 Mississippi!!