PDA

View Full Version : Boss Bailey says 'it feels unreal'

Rogue
03-12-2008, 06:53 AM
Joining Denver topped wish list for linebacker
By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Wednesday, March 12, 2008

It seems so perfect, Boss Bailey still has difficulty believing the situation in which he now finds himself.

He gets to play with his brother Champ and good friend Dre Bly with the Broncos.

He has the chance to earn as much as $20.5 million during the next five seasons and to play under a two-time Super Bowl-winning coach in Mike Shanahan.

And there's not only a starting spot at strong-side linebacker with his name on it, but an opportunity to play in nickel pass packages as well.

"It feels unreal, really," he said Tuesday in his first public comments about his new team since joining the Broncos last week.

Even the residue of the team's 7-9 finish last season washes right off Bailey, especially given the freedom he now feels having left the Detroit Lions, with whom he averaged only five victories the past five years.

"They're putting together a winning team," the linebacker said. "I talked to coach Shanahan personally, and he was telling me we had some players around that weren't willing to work for success and now those players are gone and they're bringing in players who are willing to work.

"I'm one of them."

Aside from Bailey, the Broncos have added linebacker Niko Koutouvides and safeties Marlon McCree and Marquand Manuel. The Broncos also will get defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban back from a severe Achilles' tendon injury.

All the moves are aimed at shoring up a group that finished 30th in rush defense and contributed heavily to a dismal allowance of 409 points.

"I don't think we'll be the 30th-ranked run defense again," Bailey said. "There's too high of expectations to even think about something like that."

Bailey, 28, witnessed firsthand what arguably was the Broncos' rock-bottom moment in 2007 - a 44-7 loss at Ford Field to the Lions on Nov. 4 that demonstrated why Murphy's Law was coined.

Even taking into consideration comments from his brother during frequent in-season phone conversations about the state of the Broncos, the lopsided nature of that game was "a little surprising" to the younger Bailey. It was considerably less stunning when the Broncos called Boss Bailey after the season and told him they were seeking reinforcements.

"Denver definitely was No. 1 on my list," he said. "What better situation can I go into? Having a chance to start, play a ton of snaps and be with my brother and one of my good friends and a storied franchise. So why wouldn't you want to go to the Denver Broncos?"

The chance to play with Champ, 29, whom he considers his confidante, was a particular selling point. The two most recently were teammates during Boss' freshman season at the University of Georgia in 1998.

"I'm still trying to get used to the idea I'll be playing with my brother," he said, adding their first go-round was "exciting."

Bailey never actually dreamed he and Champ might play together as pros until he became a free agent and looked around the league at various opportunities. That's when need and desire intersected.

"Sometimes when things seem too good to be true you don't want to wrap your mind around it too much and especially start thinking about it," Boss Bailey said. "But when the process began and it seemed like it would be a possibility, it was like, 'OK, don't get too excited until it's done.' "

Now that it's done, communication shouldn't be an issue between the brothers, even from the start.

"We have the type of relationship where we can give each other a look and know what's going on," Boss Bailey said. "That's just the way it is."

He even has some familiarity with the AFC West, given that the Lions not only played the Broncos last season but also the San Diego Chargers, Kansas City Chiefs and Oakland Raiders.

In doing so, Bailey matched up in coverage on San Diego's Antonio Gates and Kansas City's Tony Gonzalez, two of the NFL's premier tight ends. It's something he'll have to get used to beginning next season.

Bailey said he didn't allow Gates to get the ball and limited Gonzalez to one reception off a quarterback scramble.

"It's a great challenge," Bailey said of future matchups with the two tight ends.

And, showing some of the swagger his brother exudes, he said it's a challenge he embraces.

"I kind of possess some of the same confidence," he said. "It's just believing in your skills."

McCREE DETAILS: McCree's contract with the Broncos is a one-year deal worth $2 million, including a $500,000 bonus to sign.

TXBRONC
03-12-2008, 07:11 AM
Thanks for posting this article.

jrelway
03-12-2008, 11:46 AM
very nice article. i wasnt too high on boss at first, but im liking him more and more.

BOSSHOGG30
03-12-2008, 12:05 PM
I like how he is up to the challenge of covering some of the better tightends in the league within our division.

lex
03-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Joining Denver topped wish list for linebacker
By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Wednesday, March 12, 2008

It seems so perfect, Boss Bailey still has difficulty believing the situation in which he now finds himself.

He gets to play with his brother Champ and good friend Dre Bly with the Broncos.

He has the chance to earn as much as $20.5 million during the next five seasons and to play under a two-time Super Bowl-winning coach in Mike Shanahan.

And there's not only a starting spot at strong-side linebacker with his name on it, but an opportunity to play in nickel pass packages as well.

"It feels unreal, really," he said Tuesday in his first public comments about his new team since joining the Broncos last week.

Even the residue of the team's 7-9 finish last season washes right off Bailey, especially given the freedom he now feels having left the Detroit Lions, with whom he averaged only five victories the past five years.

"They're putting together a winning team," the linebacker said. "I talked to coach Shanahan personally, and he was telling me we had some players around that weren't willing to work for success and now those players are gone and they're bringing in players who are willing to work.

"I'm one of them."

Aside from Bailey, the Broncos have added linebacker Niko Koutouvides and safeties Marlon McCree and Marquand Manuel. The Broncos also will get defensive end Ebenezer Ekuban back from a severe Achilles' tendon injury.

All the moves are aimed at shoring up a group that finished 30th in rush defense and contributed heavily to a dismal allowance of 409 points.

"I don't think we'll be the 30th-ranked run defense again," Bailey said. "There's too high of expectations to even think about something like that."

Bailey, 28, witnessed firsthand what arguably was the Broncos' rock-bottom moment in 2007 - a 44-7 loss at Ford Field to the Lions on Nov. 4 that demonstrated why Murphy's Law was coined.

Even taking into consideration comments from his brother during frequent in-season phone conversations about the state of the Broncos, the lopsided nature of that game was "a little surprising" to the younger Bailey. It was considerably less stunning when the Broncos called Boss Bailey after the season and told him they were seeking reinforcements.

"Denver definitely was No. 1 on my list," he said. "What better situation can I go into? Having a chance to start, play a ton of snaps and be with my brother and one of my good friends and a storied franchise. So why wouldn't you want to go to the Denver Broncos?"

The chance to play with Champ, 29, whom he considers his confidante, was a particular selling point. The two most recently were teammates during Boss' freshman season at the University of Georgia in 1998.

"I'm still trying to get used to the idea I'll be playing with my brother," he said, adding their first go-round was "exciting."

Bailey never actually dreamed he and Champ might play together as pros until he became a free agent and looked around the league at various opportunities. That's when need and desire intersected.

"Sometimes when things seem too good to be true you don't want to wrap your mind around it too much and especially start thinking about it," Boss Bailey said. "But when the process began and it seemed like it would be a possibility, it was like, 'OK, don't get too excited until it's done.' "

Now that it's done, communication shouldn't be an issue between the brothers, even from the start.

"We have the type of relationship where we can give each other a look and know what's going on," Boss Bailey said. "That's just the way it is."

He even has some familiarity with the AFC West, given that the Lions not only played the Broncos last season but also the San Diego Chargers, Kansas City Chiefs and Oakland Raiders.

In doing so, Bailey matched up in coverage on San Diego's Antonio Gates and Kansas City's Tony Gonzalez, two of the NFL's premier tight ends. It's something he'll have to get used to beginning next season.

Bailey said he didn't allow Gates to get the ball and limited Gonzalez to one reception off a quarterback scramble.

"It's a great challenge," Bailey said of future matchups with the two tight ends.

And, showing some of the swagger his brother exudes, he said it's a challenge he embraces.

"I kind of possess some of the same confidence," he said. "It's just believing in your skills."

McCREE DETAILS: McCree's contract with the Broncos is a one-year deal worth $2 million, including a $500,000 bonus to sign.

Interesting. Might kind of shed light on the guys they get in the draft. Low motor guys like Okam just went out the window with that statement...assuming its true and Shanahan is consistent.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-12-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm sort of surprised McCree is only a one year deal, kinda lame.

lex
03-12-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm sort of surprised McCree is only a one year deal, kinda lame.

Stop gap. The one year probably means (or at least I hope it means) that we arent committing money and time to guys unnecessarily, which underscores a committment to the draft.

Requiem / The Dagda
03-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Stop gap.

I figure it'd be a little longer than a year, unless they plan on actually drafting a true safety for the first time legitimately since Sam Brandon.

turftoad
03-12-2008, 12:37 PM
I figure it'd be a little longer than a year, unless they plan on actually drafting a true safety for the first time legitimately since Sam Brandon.

It very well could be longer than that. He's got one year to prove himself. If he does well he probably gets resigned.

lex
03-12-2008, 01:07 PM
It very well could be longer than that. He's got one year to prove himself. If he does well he probably gets resigned.

Or, more likely, if he does very well he goes to the next highest bidder.

Joel
03-12-2008, 01:33 PM
The end of that is interesting, about covering tight ends. Granted, in our Division and Conference that's something LBs MUST do to compete with the Bolts, Chiefs, Colts and Pats. But it's typically been Ian Golds job since the Super Bowls, except for a brief stint he did with (IIRC) the Falcons. I know a lot of folks are unhappy about that, but the main thing for me has been that we didn't really have a third linebacker so I wanted to bring in two: One to start at Sam and be a future Mike, and another to be either the backup Mike or backup the Sam when he does that. The idea throughout would be to find that gem athlete with the speed to play weak side style coverage and the tackling to play strong side run stopping, plus the native intellect to recognize and call audibles against offenses. The quintessential middle linebacker, who could start at virtually any of the three spots.

Boss gives us the flip side of Champ: First we had a corner who was a stellar tackler, now we have a linebacker who's really fast. As far as coverage goes, I can think of few authorities better than Champ, nor any closer to him than his brother. I'm sure they don't constantly talk football, but the fact remains their relationship is almost like an extra season or two worth of two man practices. Combine that with Gold, a more poised and comfortable D.J. and/or another free agent starter and you once again have a very fast, powerful Denver linebacking group, most of which is fairly young. The biggest concern would be Gold, but if you have multiple LBs with the speed and wit to play Mike OR Will that's less of an issue. You could even go so far as to pick up a third true Sam and just put D.J. and Boss at Mike and Will, backed up by another Mike.

For that to work though is just as dependent on a strong defensive middle as a 3-4 group is on their NT. Without a plug in the middle the LBs get stuck to the middle of the defensive backfield, from whence they can move up to intercept the ball carrier after he plows through the non-existent DTs. Forget about pass rush; even if the backers risk it five linemen, a back and a tight end provide as many blockers as there are blitzers. You need at least one defensive tackle who not only demands but COMMANDS a double team, pushing through even when outnumbered and creating openings and opportunities for LBs to dash and make a sack or stuff a back three yards deep. That I still haven't seen, so as good as it is to see LB being seriously addressed after the "Trolling for FAs" approach last year, I'll just wait and see what comes out the other end of the pipe before I get excited....

shank
03-12-2008, 01:57 PM
gold isn't a bronco morambar

i hope that mccree's 1 year deal means that we are going to get a stud in the draft next year.

BOSSHOGG30
03-12-2008, 02:15 PM

I hope they are actually looking ahead 1 year, because the safety class next year is outstanding and very deep. I doubt it, but if they are, it is a wise move.

kthxbai
03-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Sounds like this guy is the real deal :salute:

Dreadnought
03-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Nice article - I love the guy's attitude. If we really are "getting religion" on focusing much more heavily on high character ballplayers I will be a happy man.

Bronco9798
03-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Sounds nice. I just hope he does embrace the opportunity and plays his ass off for us nd makes a difference.

Hobe
03-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Attitude

That’s very important. I’ve seen several articles and interviews and Boss is in a happy place. He may not be an all-time great, like Champ, but attitude can mean a lot.

I’m in a happy place about this too! :laugh::D:laugh:

Hoshdude7
03-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Nice article - I love the guy's attitude. If we really are "getting religion" on focusing much more heavily on high character ballplayers I will be a happy man.

If we do that then we won't land studs such as T. Henry or Sauerbrun.

(how do you spell that guys name???)

Dreadnought
03-12-2008, 07:32 PM

Yeah, that would be a damned shame, wouldn't it? What would I do to keep my bloodpressure elevated without watching loafers, slugs, and goldbricks take plays off in the middle of games or make halfassed arm tackles?

Its why I like the Niko signing so much too - the guy seriously has something to prove - if he can play at all he'll bust his Ass.

frauschieze
03-12-2008, 07:38 PM

I do believe it's Sourbunz. ;)

broncosfanscott
03-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Attitude

That’s very important. I’ve seen several articles and interviews and Boss is in a happy place. He may not be an all-time great, like Champ, but attitude can mean a lot.

I’m in a happy place about this too! :laugh::D:laugh:

It all starts there.

Joel
03-13-2008, 07:44 AM
gold isn't a bronco morambar

i hope that mccree's 1 year deal means that we are going to get a stud in the draft next year.
Yeah, missed that, but it makes the Boss Bailey signing a lot more understandable since it sounds like he might just be able to play Will as well as Sam (which gives me some hope he could play Mike down the road, though that's a very demanding position that takes more than just being an adequate Will and Sam; just ask D.J.... ) It would also explain why people have been talking about moving D.J. back to Will; with Gold gone D.J. was really the only other LB we had with the speed to do it. I wish now I'd watched the Lions more so I'd know if putting the best coverage LB at Will and the best tackler at Sam is a viable option or if D.J.'s already committed to Will and Boss to Sam.

But that tells me we have one LB, two if you count Boss, and several unknowns in Niko and Winborn (half a season worth of OK play doesn't make you a starter, as I tried to tell the Nate Webster Boosters.... ) LB remains a priority for me in this draft, behind NT and maybe a little ahead of LT.

Retired_Member_001
03-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Good attitude, I like that.

I think he secretly must be thinking " God this team can't tackle"

Superchop 7
03-14-2008, 07:43 PM
You guys are nuts.

Boss Bailey is gonna screw this team up.

Just go to Hooters on S. Parker Rd.

They are there every day, partying.

Boss is bringing Champ down.

He is a loser, and he's taking the team with him.

Hoshdude7
03-14-2008, 08:02 PM
You guys are nuts.

So how do you feel about Boss? :laugh:

Hoshdude7
03-14-2008, 08:21 PM
Just a video I found on MHR. Shows the 05' defense, this is the kind of aggression we need for 08'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBXfwAuzF7g

Hobe
03-14-2008, 08:25 PM
You guys are nuts.

Blah Blah Blah

Superchop 7
03-14-2008, 08:25 PM
So how do you feel about Boss? :laugh:

__________________________________________________ ________________-

Bad teamate, but ya, I'd party with the guy.

Superchop 7
03-14-2008, 08:29 PM
Blah Blah Blah

__________________________________________________ _________________

Amen.

Simple Jaded
03-14-2008, 08:29 PM
He's 6'-3''/235, runs like a deer and jumps through the roof......And he likes to party at Hooters?

Welcome to Denver, Boss...:salute:...

dogfish
03-14-2008, 08:51 PM
You guys are nuts.

i hear jay cutler is mean to his cable guy, too. . . .

broncosfanscott
03-15-2008, 09:01 PM
You guys are nuts.

Boss bringing Champ down, I don't think so. Champ is going to bring the best out of Boss and vise versa.

HolyDiver
03-15-2008, 09:34 PM
You guys are nuts.

Hi Blevens. :welcome: