woody paige
Broncos' signings smarter
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 03/10/2008 12:25:00 AM MDT

There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Or a free agent.

They cost.

In March of last year, after the Broncos signed a flock of veteran unrestricted and released free agents, I wrote:

"Almost every box delivered to Broncos Central in Dove Valley apparently is stamped: Damaged Goods."

How did those free players, who received multiple millions of dollars, work out?

Travis Henry. Duh, dud and dad, and you know the rest.

Sam Adams was a blunderbuss and a blunder bust. Warrick Holdman was severely injured in camp. David Terrell whiffed. Eddie Moore went from potential starter to injured backup to unemployment. Todd Sauerbrun was cut late in the season after an alleged altercation with a taxi driver.

Brandon Stokley became the Broncos' second-most valuable receiver.

Daniel Graham had an acceptable, but not spectacular, season at tight end. Montrae Holland and Alvin McKinley became passable starters (who likely won't start next season), and Patrick Ramsey and Paul Smith were backups who didn't matter.

Over the past half-dozen seasons, perhaps a dozen veteran free agents have become quality additions to the Broncos, and only one — John Lynch — made the Pro Bowl.

Mike Shanahan, Pat Bowlen and the Broncos, as they should, have rethought their free-agency approach.

They're signing younger, cheaper players who have prospective long-term upsides rather than older, high-priced players who will be one-year wonders.

Most important, the Broncos are looking for players of character instead of characters who play. The team has extended its background checks and intensified its personality studies.

Fewer damaged bads and more solid goods.

The true (predominantly) blue fans of the Broncos want a team they can be proud of, not ashamed of.

Javon Walker is gone, and Oh Henry will be on a short leash. Marcus Thomas had better clean up his act. He has run out of chances. The Broncos need superior people in the starting lineup, not in a police lineup.

So they signed Boss Bailey.

Not only will he be a starting linebacker on the strong side, but Bailey has a strong side — and a solid family. Champ Bailey has proven that the sons play well and were raised right.

They should do everything to keep Domonique Foxworth. Fellow columnist Mark Kiszla and I talked with Foxworth's parents a few times on the road last season. They are grand folks, and Domonique will be a special player.

Safety Marlon McCree, just signed, was the Chargers' on-field mentor for the secondary two years ago and remained a positive clubhouse teammate even when he split time with Eric Weddle.

Niko Koutouvides, the new, probable starting middle linebacker, isn't a troublemaker and is, by all accounts, a potentially unyielding defender. Another signed safety, Marquand Manuel (what is it with the Broncos and M.M. safeties and a B.B. 'backer?), has bounced around as a journeyman, but was performing well for Seattle until being injured in the Super Bowl. One of 18 children, he majored in criminology and law at the University of Florida and he was on the SEC all-academic team.

Keary Colbert, a wide receiver signee, was the Panthers' No. 2 pick in 2004 and had a productive rookie season. He has been a disappointment since, but, at 25, maybe the scenery and system should change.

All the free agents so far are excellent values — and seem to be men of dignity and skill. The Broncos definitely have upgraded their linebacking and secondary corps and depth. They still have to improve the defensive and offensive lines (and get everybody healthy) and sign another receiver or three.

But more free-agent signings will occur soon. Shana- han and his staff currently are locked in, staring at tapes and reports of ripe plumbs and sore thumbs.

Then there's the draft and the college free-agent signings. The Broncos have gotten at least a dozen starting types from the past four drafts — think Jay Cutler, Brandon Marshall, D.J. Williams, Elvis Dumervil, Tony Scheffler and (injured) Jarvis Moss and Tim Crowder, among others — and running back Selvin Young and offensive tackle Erik Pears off the draft's overlooked list.

The Broncos aren't New England or New York yet, but they will be New Denver.

It's a start back to respectability on and off the field and free to be.

Woody Paige: 303-954-1095 or wpaige@denverpost.com

Discuss

Lonestar
03-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Normally I do not think much of him no wait that is kissla..

that was a great article hopefully Pat laid down the law on the high priced trash mikey was bringing into town..

I doubt seriously mikey has that light bulb go off, all by itself.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Not a bash on you bmarsh (thanx for the article), but how many ways can the same thing be said?

bmarsh15
03-10-2008, 11:55 PM
sorry i just thought it was a good article by woddy which is really surprising so i thought i would share it with you guys cause i enjoyed it.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-10-2008, 11:59 PM
sorry i just thought it was a good article by woddy which is really surprising so i thought i would share it with you guys cause i enjoyed it.

Nothin to be sorry about. Again, thanx for posting it. It's just that a number of writers have said the same thing in different ways...must be slow news day in Denver.

DenBronx
03-11-2008, 12:53 AM
i actually enjoyed that and agree 100% with what woody said.

TXBRONC
03-11-2008, 07:10 AM
Thanks BMarsh.

HolyDiver
03-11-2008, 07:47 AM
I'm satisfied with our FA pickups...............Most of them have something to prove, which is never a bad thing. Now we can focus on what really counts. The draft this April.............A few good DT's and maybe a Safety or two in the later rounds and we have ourself a Defense that we can have hope for................I hope we trade back with Dallas, swaping our #1 pick for both of theirs..................And maybe trade one of those #1's to a team who has two early #2's. Giving us three high #2 picks if not more, maybe even a 3rd round pick as well. Draft Trevor Laws, DT from Notre Dame................Pat Sims, DT from Auburn and Curtis Lofton, LB'er from Oklahoma................Then look for Tom Zbikowski and Jamie Silva in the 4th rounds................. After all of that, we can simply focus on positions of need, like a kicker to replace Elam, a Punter and a put returner........And that's all without using the one #1 pick...............That could be Dan Connor even......Or a Tackle.

MHCBill
03-11-2008, 08:51 AM
Woody has got a good point here

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_8516060
woody paige
Broncos' signings smarter
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 03/10/2008 12:25:00 AM MDT

All the free agents so far are excellent values —

Woody Paige: 303-954-1095 or wpaige@denverpost.com

Discuss
It should be all about value right now.

When we are ready to make a push deep into the playoffs that's when you make a slight change in your philosophy and go after the one or two guys that may help put you over the top. (i.e. Pats signing Moss and Thomas)

turftoad
03-11-2008, 09:39 AM
I like Woody, tells it like it is.

I hope the team has less off the field problems this year and the signings kind of show that the FO is coming around in that department.
Way back when, the FO only used to sign and draft high character guys. I remember there years when 75% of our draft picks were team leaders and captians on the college teams. Looks like we may be getting back to that.
I do agree with what he said about the need to sign a reciever or three.

Dreadnought
03-11-2008, 09:48 AM
Good article. I've been very happy with the course of this offseason so far. Now here's hoping for a draft as good as '06

Requiem / The Dagda
03-11-2008, 12:56 PM
With the signings of McCree, Koutouvides, Manuel, Bailey and Colbert - the Broncos are going to get at least two starters, probably three out of the whole deal. Heck, Colbert could impress and make it four with Manuel being the only depth player. Adding up the salaries, Denver was able to get these five guys for less than the price of one "good" free agent this year. This is the kind of approach the Broncos needed to take. Get some solid veterans, and some younger guys with starting potential and starting experience. This was the best way to go about things, and I'm absolutely thrilled we got 'em.

Edit: Also, we have about 1/4 of our cap this year accounting for dead money; a lot of it which should be off the books next year; with some players likely to retire or leave; we'll be able to have the cash to re-sign guys like Scheffler/Dumervil/Marshall etc. if they do want a new contract. I'd rather sign them up right away (it'd depend on if their agents would want it too) because the market value two years from now will be much greater for players like them instead of just one year. That needs to be a priority.

Joel
03-12-2008, 08:46 AM
With the signings of McCree, Koutouvides, Manuel, Bailey and Colbert - the Broncos are going to get at least two starters, probably three out of the whole deal. Heck, Colbert could impress and make it four with Manuel being the only depth player. Adding up the salaries, Denver was able to get these five guys for less than the price of one "good" free agent this year. This is the kind of approach the Broncos needed to take. Get some solid veterans, and some younger guys with starting potential and starting experience. This was the best way to go about things, and I'm absolutely thrilled we got 'em.

Edit: Also, we have about 1/4 of our cap this year accounting for dead money; a lot of it which should be off the books next year; with some players likely to retire or leave; we'll be able to have the cash to re-sign guys like Scheffler/Dumervil/Marshall etc. if they do want a new contract. I'd rather sign them up right away (it'd depend on if their agents would want it too) because the market value two years from now will be much greater for players like them instead of just one year. That needs to be a priority.

Well, we've seen free agency can be kinda boom or bust, so I'm kinda looking at that glass half empty, but still not bad for the price: We probably will get at least one or two starters at positions of need, and might get more. Most of those who WILL start have a lot of miles left on them, too.

I also agree we need to be sure and resign the young core team, for many of the same reasons: longevity and locking in a low price now. Same reason I'd still shotgun it, draft a do it all linebacker, a devastating nose tackle and probably, realistically, a left tackle, just for injury reasons if naught else.