PDA

View Full Version : Vancouver Olympics

Denver Native (Carol)
02-12-2010, 05:01 PM
This definitely is not a good way for things to begin. Thoughs and prayers for his family and teammates.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14390486

Georgian luger dies in crash during training run

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA — A men's luger from the former Soviet republic of Georgia died Friday after a crash during training, an Olympic official with direct knowledge of the situation said. The death cast a shocking pall over the Vancouver Olympics hours before the opening ceremony.

The official told The Associated Press that the International Olympic Committee received confirmation of Nodar Kumaritashvili's death. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the 21-year-old luger's family hadn't been notified yet.

There was no immediate comment from Vancouver organizers, international luge officials or the International Olympic Committee. At the Whistler track, officials said the IOC and VANOC were preparing a joint statement to be released Friday afternoon.

Kumaritashvili lost control of his sled, went over the track wall and struck an unpadded steel pole near the finish line at Whistler Sliding Center.

Rescue workers were at his side within seconds, chest compressions and mouth-to-mouth resuscitation started less than one minute after the crash, and he was quickly airlifted to a trauma center in Whistler.

Kumaritashvili struck the inside wall of the track on the final turn. His body immediately went airborne and cleared the ice-coated concrete wall along the left side of the sliding surface. His sled remained in the track, and it appeared his helmet visor skidded down the ice.

"It's a very rare situation," three-time Olympic champion and German coach Georg Hackl said before news of Kumaritashvili's death broke, clearly shaken moments after seeing Kumaritashvili tended to furiously by medical officials.

Olympic competition in men's luge is scheduled to begin Saturday. It's unclear if that schedule would be affected.

It was unclear how fast Kumaritashvili was going, although many sliders have exceeded 90 mph on this course. The track is considered the world's fastest and several Olympians recently questioned its safety. More than a dozen athletes have crashed during Olympic training for luge, and some questioned whether athletes from smaller nations — like Georgia — had enough time to prepare for the daunting track.

At the finish area, not far from where Kumaritashvili lost control, athletes, coaches and officials solemnly awaited word on Kumaritashvili before eventually being ushered away. Access to the crash area was closed within about 30 minutes.

"I've never seen anything like that," said Shiva Keshavan, a four-time Olympian from India.

The remainder of men's training was canceled for the day, with VANOC officials saying in a release that an investigation was taking place to "ensure a safe field of play." Kumaritashvili competed in five World Cup races this season, finishing 44th in the world standings.

Earlier in the day, gold-medal favorite Armin Zoeggeler of Italy crashed, losing control of his sled on Curve 11. Zoeggeler came off his sled and held it with his left arm to keep it from smashing atop his body. He slid on his back down several curves before coming to a stop and walking away.

Training days in Whistler have been crash-filled. A Romanian woman was briefly knocked unconscious and at least four Americans — Chris Mazdzer on Wednesday, Megan Sweeney on Thursday and both Tony Benshoof and Bengt Walden on Friday in the same training session where Zoeggeler wrecked — have had serious trouble just getting down the track.

"I think they are pushing it a little too much," Australia's Hannah Campbell-Pegg said Thursday night after she nearly lost control in training. "To what extent are we just little lemmings that they just throw down a track and we're crash-test dummies? I mean, this is our lives."

Denver Native (Carol)
02-12-2010, 05:03 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_14390452

VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA — Peter Forsberg says he will carry Sweden's flag at the opening ceremony.

Forsberg's participation in these Games — his fourth — was in doubt until last week after he injured a hand in a Swedish Elite League game.

But the two-time Olympic gold medalist says he's feeling fine after arriving in Vancouver.

OrangeHoof
02-13-2010, 02:06 PM
I finally got to see video of the crash. It was odd as the luger essentially jumped off his board and the momentum took him right into the unpadded support standard. He hit the standard with the top of his helmet and he lay motionless after the collision. The sliders essentially fly through the turns at 90 mph with only the helmet for protection. Everything else is built to be lightweight.

The Olympic folks are saying it was "pilot error" and that the luger was up too high on the curve. Personally, I think whoever built the course is at fault for having those standards there with no padding. They should have either been further back from the track or covered with some sort of protective padding to cushion the blow. If this were a legal liability issue, I'd say the Canadians were liable for the man's death.

Kapaibro
02-13-2010, 04:07 PM
or it was just an accident.
He appeared, to me, to have hit one of the walls, which would have knocked unconscious, or at least dazed him, and then the momentum of the luge, the bouncing, and the speed threw him off the track.
Some say the track is too fast, others think it is great. This track has been used regularly for a couple of years now with no other fatalities.

Kapaibro
02-13-2010, 04:09 PM
i loved the opening ceremony.
The designer wanted less flash, more emotion, and I think he achieved it beautifully!

Lonestar
02-13-2010, 04:18 PM
I just heard that they will reopen the run today or tomorrow with a higher wall in that turn and now will start from the Women's starting point on the track so they speed s will be a lot less.

Hopefully the morons will put some padding on those supports also. I could not believe they were just I beams.

That is a lawsuit just asking to happen. Not that hitting a padded I beam at 90 would not have killed him but maybe he could have survived although a cripple.

BroncoAV06
02-13-2010, 05:16 PM
A fence is what is needed so a body can not fly off the track. At those speeds I wonder if padding would of saved his life, it would of at least gave him a chance.

Its one of those videos and stories that just sticks with you.

MileHighCrew
02-13-2010, 07:04 PM
I know with the accident it was a horrible way to start. That being said as a Canadian and a member of the Canadian Military I had a huge sense of pride watching the opening of the games last night.

Lonestar
02-13-2010, 07:26 PM
I know with the accident it was a horrible way to start. That being said as a Canadian and a member of the Canadian Military I had a huge sense of pride watching the opening of the games last night.

Thanks to you for your service to your country.:salute:

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
02-15-2010, 06:10 PM
Mario Fuchs in the snowboarding :D

ManchesterBroncoLUHG
02-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Great final then in the snowboarding.

Broncolingus
02-16-2010, 09:24 PM
USA Men's hockey team beats Switzerland 3-1 in prelims...:salute:

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/winter/2010/icehockey/men/recap?gameId=838

I'd really like to see them medal in this year's games...

sneakers
02-17-2010, 03:24 AM
Curling is my favorite sport!

Stupid USA women had a 4-1 lead after 5 frames and ended up losing 9-8 against Japan

Jaws
02-17-2010, 04:53 AM
Curling is my favorite sport!

Stupid USA women had a 4-1 lead after 5 frames and ended up losing 9-8 against Japan

I've enjoyed Curling ever since the GB Women led by Rhona Martin won gold at the Olympics in 2002.

GB men got off to a poor start losing 6-4 to Sweden.

Thnikkaman
02-17-2010, 06:18 AM
Curling is interesting. And the US women's team is hot.

Kapaibro
02-17-2010, 03:54 PM
One should not watch the Olympics until all of ones jobs are finished.

Damned women's downhill almost had me late to submit my track times!

Jaws
02-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Lots of scary crashes in that Downhill.

Buff
02-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Major carnage on that final jump in the women's downhill. Not gonna lie--the agony of defeat makes for pretty good tv.

Buff
02-17-2010, 10:46 PM
One should not watch the Olympics until all of ones jobs are finished.

Damned women's downhill almost had me late to submit my track times!

At least you can watch it live, this tape delay stuff is for the birds. (Not that I could watch it live during the day anyway, but at least it'd already be on my DVR and I could fast forward through the boring stuff.)

Buff
02-18-2010, 12:40 AM
I'm confused... I'm pretty sure my snowboarding halfpipe telecast was tape delayed, but they didn't bleep out Shaun White's coach when he said "make sure you stomp the shit out of it" before his last run.

silkamilkamonico
02-18-2010, 01:04 AM
I'm confused... I'm pretty sure my snowboarding halfpipe telecast was tape delayed, but they didn't bleep out Shaun White's coach when he said "make sure you stomp the shit out of it" before his last run.

I think they left it in there to give the audience a little foreshadowing on what was to come with his run. That was ridiculous. He indeed "stomped the shit out of it".

Thnikkaman
02-18-2010, 01:09 AM
It was live. Can't wait to see it when I get home.

Broncolingus
02-18-2010, 02:00 AM
I can't believe that snowboard chick (Lindsey Jacobellis) blew it again...although I liked her follow up interview with the Bush twin (never get tired of saying that)...

"...shit-happens...," and "...I'll txt you (Bush) know when I know what I want to do with my life..."

Nice to see Vonn take the Gold...

..and oh, the girl who got the silver (Mancuso?) is just as hot.

(...cause that's important you know...)

GEM
02-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Shawn White's half pipes were abso-fuggin-lutely fantastic!! None of the other entrants were even close. The Japanese guy looked like he had some goods but he couldn't stay on his feet. I've never seen a Japanese guy with dreads. :laugh:

Buff
02-18-2010, 05:45 PM
I can't believe that snowboard chick (Lindsey Jacobellis) blew it again...although I liked her follow up interview with the Bush twin (never get tired of saying that)...

"...shit-happens...," and "...I'll txt you (Bush) know when I know what I want to do with my life..."

Nice to see Vonn take the Gold...

..and oh, the girl who got the silver (Mancuso?) is just as hot.

(...cause that's important you know...)

All three of those chicks on the downhill medal podium last night were smoking hot.

As far as Jacobellis, I think she might be my least favorite U.S. olympian ever. She is not an athlete. Did anyone hear her valley-girl interview after blowing it again this year? She sounded clueless and non-chalant about completely choking. This after she cost herself a gold medal by showing off in Italy. I hope she doesn't qualify in 2014.

Jaws
02-19-2010, 08:30 AM
Going to have to keep and eye on runs 3 and 4 of the Skeleton competition later today. Amy Williams of GB is in the lead position after two runs.

Nomad
02-19-2010, 07:50 PM
Curling on right now! USA vs FRA, it's 3-3!! Interesting activity, pretty cool too!

Kapaibro
02-20-2010, 12:10 AM
Peoplewho do skeleton are mad bastardos!

Sharkie, good final run for Bromley

weazel
02-20-2010, 03:13 AM
I finally got to see video of the crash. It was odd as the luger essentially jumped off his board and the momentum took him right into the unpadded support standard. He hit the standard with the top of his helmet and he lay motionless after the collision. The sliders essentially fly through the turns at 90 mph with only the helmet for protection. Everything else is built to be lightweight.

The Olympic folks are saying it was "pilot error" and that the luger was up too high on the curve. Personally, I think whoever built the course is at fault for having those standards there with no padding. They should have either been further back from the track or covered with some sort of protective padding to cushion the blow. If this were a legal liability issue, I'd say the Canadians were liable for the man's death.

those "standards with no padding" are on every track. They kind of need to be there to hold up the track. :coffee: The track has been in use for 3 years without anything like that happening, it was the athetes error. No need to start filing the law suits... I know it's the American way, but this happened in Canada.

weazel
02-20-2010, 03:15 AM
Lots of scary crashes in that Downhill.

they should sue the creator of that hill! damn you evolution, I'm suing you!!!!

Jaws
02-20-2010, 04:52 AM
Peoplewho do skeleton are mad bastardos!

Sharkie, good final run for Bromley

Both him and his wife finished sixth. Decent result, although I'm sure Shelley Rudman would have hoped for a medal.

Great performance by Amy Williams to keep her nerve and win GB's first Gold Medal of the games.

Broncolingus
02-20-2010, 01:57 PM
I watched almost the entire Canada/Denmark curling match last night...I've never watched that much curling in my life.

I was also VERY pissed because I'm having trouble understanding that damn sport...

I got most of the lingo I think - house, rock, blocker, guard, draw, takeout, etc. & the purpose (most rocks near the middle) - but just when I thought I understood what the next play should be, the announcers would come on and say something that made no sense.

I felt like a 're-tard.'

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/ThK6uwnZRKA/default.jpg

Finally, I went with my ace in the hole plan of action, which was to say F-it, and drink more beer...

Kapaibro
02-20-2010, 04:00 PM
I watched almost the entire Canada/Denmark curling match last night...I've never watched that much curling in my life.

I was also VERY pissed because I'm having trouble understanding that damn sport...

I got most of the lingo I think - house, rock, blocker, guard, draw, takeout, etc. & the purpose (most rocks near the middle) - but just when I thought I understood what the next play should be, the announcers would come on and say something that made no sense.

I felt like a 're-tard.'

Finally, I went with my ace in the hole plan of action, which was to say F-it, and drink more beer...
You should try watching Aussie Rules.

That shit it f-ed up.

Or, for the sheer bloody mindedness of it, Hurling.

Hurling: Think ice hockey on turf, with less rules, and no pads, and in shorts and t-shirts, and hardly anyone wears a helmet.

Broncolingus
02-20-2010, 05:41 PM
You should try watching Aussie Rules.

That shit it f-ed up.

Or, for the sheer bloody mindedness of it, Hurling.

Hurling: Think ice hockey on turf, with less rules, and no pads, and in shorts and t-shirts, and hardly anyone wears a helmet.

I'm there...

Sounds like something that will end up with me drinking more beer - with, again, an (yes, very flimsy) excuse...

You're the best, Kap! :salute:

Broncolingus
02-21-2010, 12:57 AM
I just finished watching Canada/Britain in curling (amid switching between Belarus/Germany)...bottom line, it was an epic battle with Canada pulling out a 1 point win in the End of 10.

...happy to pass along I understood much better this time. I knew ya'll were concerned...

...on a related note, maybe had something to do with the fact I decided red wine would be the better 'brain stimulator' tonight...I don't know.

I will continue my tests.

Lonestar
02-21-2010, 01:01 AM
I just finished watching Canada/Britain in curling (amid switching between Belarus/Germany)...bottom line, it was an epic battle with Canada pulling out a 1 point win in the End of 10.

...happy to pass along I understood much better this time. I knew ya'll were concerned...

...on a related note, maybe had something to do with the fact I decided red wine would be the better 'brain stimulator' tonight...I don't know.

I will continue my tests.

curling is that where the use irons or blow dryers?

Broncolingus
02-21-2010, 01:09 AM
I figured I was going to get some crap for that post...but didn't see that one coming.

Touche!

http://l.yimg.com/static.widgets.yahoo.com/shots/39146-shot.jpg

Kapaibro
02-21-2010, 02:54 AM

I felt like a 're-tard.'

I got watching the USA/Great Britain womens game.

The GB girl screaming "Realllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyy Harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrddddddddd!!!!!!!!" with a scottish accent was awesome!

Jaws
02-21-2010, 10:42 AM
I got watching the USA/Great Britain womens game.

The GB girl screaming "Realllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyy Harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrddddddddd!!!!!!!!" with a scottish accent was awesome!

Lol yeah, that's what first got me into it, those Scottish cries!
I love the bagpipes too as they introduce the teams.

Broncolingus
02-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Man, this USA/Canada mens hockey game is rockin!!!

VERY fast-paced.

Go USA!

Broncolingus
02-21-2010, 08:23 PM
2-1 US (mens hockey) at the first intermission...:salute:

Miller is playing lights-out in goal as Canada is really flying out there in the 1st...

F-the Olympic Committee - it's 'Miller Time!'

Buff
02-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Can someone remind me why the hell the Avs traded Chris Drury?

Denver Native (Carol)
02-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Which NHL team does Ryan Miller play for?

Buff
02-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Which NHL team does Ryan Miller play for?

Buffalo Sabres I think. He played pretty well tonight considering how many shots he faced and the guys who were doing the shooting.

Broncolingus
02-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Buffalo Sabres I think. He played pretty well tonight considering how many shots he faced and the guys who were doing the shooting.

You are correct, sir...

Friggin awesome game tonight by Miller...fantastic goal-keeping.

USA undefeated in quals...extra day of rest.

Now, just dont get cocky and we're looking real good for a medal in Mens Hockey...

Great job (and game) tonight...

(...Canadians REALLY not happy tonight methinks...)

Kapaibro
02-22-2010, 03:42 AM
Congrats to Bode Miller for winning the combined downhill!

Just watched the women's long track 1500m speed skating. The Dutch are a HUGE powerhouse for the sport!

silkamilkamonico
02-24-2010, 04:33 AM
So did anyone else shed a tear or 20 after watching Joannie Rochette's skate? Poor poor girl...

Skinny
02-24-2010, 05:18 AM
So did anyone else shed a tear or 20 after watching Joannie Rochette's skate? Poor poor girl...Are you kidding, i cry every time i watch figure skating...

:drum:

Broncolingus
02-24-2010, 09:25 AM
Are you kidding, i cry every time i watch figure skating...

:drum:

http://giovanniworld.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/420thumbs20up_edited.jpg

Broncolingus
02-24-2010, 07:03 PM
:salute: USA Mens Hockey team...

Little more tough getting by the ole Swiss, but they've been giving everyone problems the entire Olympics and we're one step closer to a medal...

Oh yeah, a shut-out for Miller - dude is playing crazy good.

Good job, gents...

Denver Native (Carol)
02-24-2010, 08:48 PM
I have no idea why, even though the Hockey Game started at 1:00 MST, and the schedule in the Denver Post showed it starting at 1:00 on the radio, it was one hour tape delayed for tv - started at 2:00 MST????? WHY??????? To me, the tv coverage for the Olympics this go around STINKS :tsk:

weazel
02-25-2010, 11:05 AM
I have no idea why, even though the Hockey Game started at 1:00 MST, and the schedule in the Denver Post showed it starting at 1:00 on the radio, it was one hour tape delayed for tv - started at 2:00 MST????? WHY??????? To me, the tv coverage for the Olympics this go around STINKS :tsk:

watch it on www.ctvolypics.com
They have streams of every single event.

NBC is a horrible network, I can't believe they haven't gone bankrupt.

Broncolingus
02-25-2010, 12:57 PM

I have told my kids do not change the channel from MSNBC HD for the past week and a half...

Buff
02-25-2010, 01:20 PM
I'm taking tomorrow off and the hockey game is on live... Go USA! The only thing Finland is good for is vodka.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-25-2010, 01:21 PM

Channel 9 is the local NBC station here, and they have two of their staff at the Olympics - Susie Wargin being one of them. Last night, she was giving a recap of the day's events, and was talking about the hockey game, and said - Ch 9 will be airing the USA hockey game Friday LIVE at 1:00 - so that tells me that the local NBC stations can televise either live or tape delayed, and most of what has been televised here has been on tape delay.

Buff
02-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Channel 9 is the local NBC station here, and they have two of their staff at the Olympics - Susie Wargin being one of them. Last night, she was giving a recap of the day's events, and was talking about the hockey game, and said - Ch 9 will be airing the USA hockey game Friday LIVE at 1:00 - so that tells me that the local NBC stations can televise either live or tape delayed, and most of what has been televised here has been on tape delay.

I don't think the local affiliates have had the choice throughout the olympics... It's been a concious decision by NBC to tape delay almost everything for primetime--so I don't think it's just been a matter of KUSA deciding they want to tape delay.

That said, I'm not sure exactly why yesterday's game was tape delayed but Friday's game will be shown live--maybe NBC heard all of the complaining about the delay and did something about it.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-25-2010, 01:48 PM
I don't think the local affiliates have had the choice throughout the olympics... It's been a concious decision by NBC to tape delay almost everything for primetime--so I don't think it's just been a matter of KUSA deciding they want to tape delay.

That said, I'm not sure exactly why yesterday's game was tape delayed but Friday's game will be shown live--maybe NBC heard all of the complaining about the delay and did something about it.

Yesterday's game - i.e. one hour tape delay on KUSA - tomorrow's game live, is what made me think that the local stations do have some control over what is carried live, versus, what they carry on tape delay - maybe that is not the way it is though.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-26-2010, 12:56 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/olympics/winter/2010/icehockey/news/story?id=4947716

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- The women of the Canadian hockey team politely accepted their gold medals and waved to an adoring crowd. And then the real celebration began.

More than half an hour after they beat the United States 2-0 on Thursday, the players came back from the locker room and staged a party on ice -- swigging from bottles of champagne, guzzling beer and smoking cigars.

In a sport that Canada invented, there was never an option besides gold, and with it finally in hand, the home team let loose.

Meghan Agosta and Marie-Philip Poulin posed wearing goofy grins. Rebecca Johnston actually tried to drive the ice-resurfacing machine. Haley Irwin poured champagne into the mouth of Tessa Bonhomme, gold medals swinging from both their necks.

The celebration raised eyebrows at the IOC, which said it would look into the matter. Informed of the antics by The Associated Press, Gilbert Felli, the IOC's executive director of the Olympic Games, said it was "not what we want to see."

"I don't think it's a good promotion of sport values," he said. "If they celebrate in the changing room, that's one thing, but not in public. We will investigate what happened."

In a statement released late Thursday, Hockey Canada apologized. The team has scheduled a 5:30 p.m. ET news conference on Friday.

"The members of Team Canada apologize if their on-ice celebrations, after fans had left the building, have offended anyone," the statement said. "In the excitement of the moment, the celebration left the confines of our dressing room and shouldn't have. The team regrets that its gold medal celebration may have caused the IOC or COC any embarrassment.

"Our players and team vow to uphold the values of the Olympics moving forward and view this situation as a learning experience."

Poulin, who scored both goals, doesn't turn 19 -- legal drinking age in British Columbia -- until next month. The drinking age in Alberta, where the Canadian team trains, is 18. Photos showed Poulin on the ice with a beer in her hand.

"We understand that they were asked to go back onto the playing field after the stadium had emptied to take a photo," IOC spokesman Mark Adams said. "We understand that some people may have felt that their behavior was over-exuberant."

Steve Keough, a spokesman for the Canadian Olympic Committee, said the COC had not provided the alcohol nor initiated the party.

"In terms of the actual celebration, it's not exactly something uncommon in Canada," he said.

While the committee does not condone irresponsibility, Keough said, "I think Canadians understand it's quite an emotional moment for our team. It was not our intention to go against any IOC protocols."

Not even uncommon at these Olympics. After Jon Montgomery won a gold medal for Canada in skeleton, he walked through the streets of Whistler guzzling from a pitcher of beer that he gripped with two hands.

American Scotty Lago, who won a bronze in halfpipe, voluntarily left the games after a photo surfaced of a woman kneeling below his waist to kiss the medal.

Broncolingus
02-26-2010, 05:57 PM
USA Mens hockey team pwned Finland 6-1...:salute:

...that was 6 goals in the 1st period, folks. Nice message to Canada that the USAs win earlier this week wasn't some fluke thing.

USA now going for the gold - against Canada or (excuse you?) Slovakia...

Last time the USA Mens Hockey played for gold was...oh yeah - 1980.

Go USA!!!!

Denver Native (Carol)
02-28-2010, 01:36 PM

I just went to the above link - once there, what do you click on to see the gold medal game live today? I have a problem - the Nuggets play the Lakers today, basically at the same time that the Hockey Game is on :D

Broncolingus
03-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Congrats to the USA Mens Hockey Team...:salute:

Yeah, they came up - BARELY - short in the Gold Medal game, but overall a fantastic effort by a very young team.

Miller was a rock star without a doubt, and what a great example of what players can do when playing as a team...

Well done gents...:salute: