PDA

View Full Version : Make your case for a player!

BOSSHOGG30
03-10-2008, 01:31 PM
This sounds like a thread about what player you like, but it is a little different.

I want you to imagine you are in the "War Room" in Dove Valley, and you are making your case for a specific player. You can imagine it is any round, any player, at any position. Just be sure to explain how that player would be able to help the team.

I will choose an easy one (fill free to add or rectify any of my comments)

With the 12th pick in the first round I believe we should select... Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon.

Heading into the draft I see many needs. I would rank the needs in this order: DT, OT, WR, FB, K, RB, S

Problem with DT is that Ellis and Dorsey should be gone at 12 and after that there is a huge drop off in talent.

Problem with OT isn't really a drop off in talent, but there isn't a "stud" lineman in the first round. I feel that the 2nd round labled prospects are just as good as the 1st round prospects and I can afford to wait to the 2nd round or even 3rd or 4th rounds. Plus Denver has high interest in Harris, Kuper, and Pears.

I only see two widereceivers worthy of the 12th overall pick. Limas Sweed and Malcom Kelly. Denver's history with wide receivers really scares me and just the over all bust rate of 1st round wideouts scare me even more.

FB and K would be a huge reach in the 1st round... I don't think I have to go into detail here.

RB- Stewart can do it all. I know we have Henry, Hall, and Young, but Henry's age, character, and injury history really worry me. I think it is time to think ahead as well as get a guy who has value. The 12th overall pick will cost us some green stuff. If I'm going to pay a player good money, he better hold a lot of value as well as be a marketable guy for the team. Usually, QB's, WR's, and RB's are the most marketable players. I like the chances of Stewart to do well in Denver. I think he will help us in short yardage situations, red zone percentage, and draw attention from other talents such as Marshall, Scheffler, and Cutler, something we currently lack with on demensional runner like Selvin Young.

lex
03-10-2008, 01:51 PM
1) Click username
2) Select "Find all posts by lex"

BOSSHOGG30
03-10-2008, 02:35 PM
1) Click username
2) Select "Find all posts by lex"

Seems like you keep making up your mind... first I read a lot of post about Mendenhall then McFadden... who is your #12 pick and why?

lex
03-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Seems like you keep making up your mind... first I read a lot of post about Mendenhall then McFadden... who is your #12 pick and why?

1. McFadden
2. Mendenhall

I talk about McFadden because the possibility, however unlikely, has been brought up of him falling to 12. More realistically, Mendenhall is someone who will be available to us. And youve already seen several of my thoughts on why I like him.

underrated29
03-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Devin thomas- big surprise there.

Ok, we are a running team and we need guys who can block. Marsall can block, and we know that grahm and scheff can block. Just imagine if we could have another wr out there who can own his man. The running ame would be crazy.

We need a solid #2 and this guy is it. He is 6'2 217 almost the exact same size as javon walker. Only he has no injury problems, and he is faster and stronger. This guy can break tackles like brandon, but also has the speed to take it to the house on the long ball or if he gets a seam. Devin also has the ability to be a great return man on punts and kicks. And he could also be very effective on reverses and screens. Remember how effective walker was. He should be better.

Besides that coupled with jay scheff and brandon we will have the youngest most potent offense for the next 5 years minimum. That way all we have to draft and FA is oline and defense. (assuming we get stewart :wink: ).

BOSSHOGG30
03-10-2008, 03:05 PM

Ok, we are a running team and we need guys who can block. Marsall can block, and we know that grahm and scheff can block. Just imagine if we could have another wr out there who can own his man. The running ame would be crazy.

We need a solid #2 and this guy is it. He is 6'2 217 almost the exact same size as javon walker. Only he has no injury problems, and he is faster and stronger. This guy can break tackles like brandon, but also has the speed to take it to the house on the long ball or if he gets a seam. Devin also has the ability to be a great return man on punts and kicks. And he could also be very effective on reverses and screens. Remember how effective walker was. He should be better.

Besides that coupled with jay scheff and brandon we will have the youngest most potent offense for the next 5 years minimum. That way all we have to draft and FA is oline and defense. (assuming we get stewart :wink: ).

Underrated, you have a good taste in wideouts....What do you think of Luke Dillon?

lex
03-10-2008, 03:09 PM

I dont know if its accurate or that I agree with your analysis but I like that you said it with chutzpah.

underrated29
03-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Underrated, you have a good taste in wideouts....What do you think of Luke Dillon?

Dont know, let me do some research on him and i will get back to ya... Was he in the combine?? If so i have them recorded, and then i can really take a look at him.... i am at work so it will be a while.

Broncospsycho77
03-10-2008, 03:11 PM
How much easier would our draft have been if James Laurinaitis left? Geez...

BOSSHOGG30
03-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Dont know, let me do some research on him and i will get back to ya... Was he in the combine?? If so i have them recorded, and then i can really take a look at him.... i am at work so it will be a while.

no, he didn't go to the combine. He played for Defiance...small school prospect. He had his pro day at Ohio State University's Pro Day this past Friday. Dillon ran a 4.46 40-yard dash and measured in at 6-foot-4 and 233 pounds.

underrated29
03-10-2008, 03:13 PM
I dont know if its accurate or that I agree with your analysis but I like that you said it with chutzpah.

well i am in sales, but i dont make stuff up. Of course i havent seen much play by him so a lot is opinion, but its all based off of facts and things i have seen. I try not to exaggerate things either, so i would say its pretty accurate. I guess we will see soon enough.

whats chutzpah?

underrated29
03-10-2008, 03:15 PM
no, he didn't go to the combine. He played for Defiance...small school prospect. He had his pro day at Ohio State University's Pro Day this past Friday. Dillon ran a 4.46 40-yard dash and measured in at 6-foot-4 and 233 pounds.

Wow! sounds like a winner. yeah i got to check on him! Good find on the small prospects, maybe he lasts til the 4th and we can nab him like we did brandon. I know nothing of him yet so he might not, but nontheless i am excited to check up onhim.

lex
03-10-2008, 03:25 PM
well i am in sales, but i dont make stuff up. Of course i havent seen much play by him so a lot is opinion, but its all based off of facts and things i have seen. I try not to exaggerate things either, so i would say its pretty accurate. I guess we will see soon enough.

whats chutzpah?

It means to say something with boldness...with confidence.

BOSSHOGG30
03-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Defiance College WR Luke Dillon worked out at Ohio State University's Pro Day Friday, March 7. Dillon ran the shuttle in 4.16 seconds and performed the three-cone drill in 6.77 seconds. He performed 17 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press. His vertical jump was 33 inches and his broad jump was nine feet and six inches. Dillon could be working out again to try and improve on these numbers, according to his agent.

BOSSHOGG30
03-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Brandon Marshall Combine/Pro Day results:

6'4" 229lbs
4.52 forty
10 ft broad
37" vertical
4.31 20-yard shuffle
6.96 3-cone drill

Luke Dillon's
6'4" 233lbs
4.46 forty
9'6" broad jump
33" vertical
4.16 20-yard shuttle
6.77 3-cone drill

G_Money
03-10-2008, 03:37 PM
I can accept that we might not have the right pick to nab Wesley Woodyard. He's probably an early 3rd rounder at this point and with our recent haul of LBs and the move of DJ back to the Will there's no place to play him except for safety...and we're crowding that position with mediocrity now as well. The Broncos aren't likely to look Woodyard's way in the end of April.

I also understand that my boy Matt Forte probably isn't "in the mold" of the RBs Denver likes - stocky, mobile, good vision and no hole dancing. Forte is taller, leaner, and a hard peg to fit into a particular hole, what with his short pile-driving strides in traffic and his long stride in the open field. Tashard Choice is far more likely to hear his name called in the 4th for us than the mix of Eddie George and Walter Payton styles that is Matt Forte. I accept that - and I happen to like Tashard Choice, so if we're still looking for a RB on the 2nd day I certainly nominate him to come get 1500 yards in this offense.

So I'd like to take this moment to advocate Jordy Nelson, should he be AT ALL available.

The solitary complaint about Nelson is that he's "not fast or really athletic." Which is actually not true - for his size he's PLENTY fast. The thing that throws people off about Jordy is his awkward gait - he doesn't run pretty, and scouts really like pretty ball players.

But he's definitely fast. He has long speed, meaning he keeps getting faster with every stride, much like Eddie Mac. Mac wasn't fast, but nobody ever caught him from behind either. Funny how that works...

He's also very good at getting a bit of separation and forcing opposing DBs to tackle him - and he's bigger, meaner and stronger than they are. Being jammed at the line doesn't bother him - he'll jam right back.

I've said it before, but he's an amazing traffic receiver, little DBs bounce off him like pebbles, and I'm telling you if you get it within 10 feet of him he'll catch it. And when it matters, don't you want guys on the field who will come down with the ball?

He also likes to work his ass off. If I could make Rod Smith come in and train one wide receiver from this draft, Jordy Nelson would be him, because he gets it. He understands that mastering the little nuances will take him to a long and successful career.

He isn't the most understated football player though. He plays angry. He yells and screams and spikes the ball and slams helmets with people and gestures to the fans. He actually cares - this isn't just his job. All the greats hated to lose more than they loved to win. Nelson has that, and it causes his team mates to care more, because he cares.

If we're drafting a wideout to play the #2 fiddle to Marshall's #1, my checklist would look like this:

- Great hands. If he doesn't come down with the balls that he gets being single covered, then Cutler's gonna throw more picks trying to get the ball into Marshall in double coverage.

- Aggressive attitude. I need a willing blocker, an able seam player, somebody who will hit somebody or be hit and who just wants more. No fly-pattern, shy-from-contact wideouts need apply. The #2 is a working man's position.

- Ability to separate. I don't need a wideout to run past every DB, but whether by pushoff or speed, route or fakeout, hook or crook I need a wide-receiver who can get open.

- Bigger. I like bigger. It's not always better, but especially when complemented by a larger #1 like Marshall is, chances are the other DB will be flat-out short on the other side. It also helps in the red zone, where we have had our struggles.

Nelson catches everything (and I mean EVERYTHING), plays football with his hate on, will be as physical as the corner and runs great routes, and is a large body who is hard to take down.

And he's not done growing into his game yet. Some players have had 4 years of experience at Wideout University, with a great QB and coaches who have them nuanced and ready.

Jordy is still just scratching the surface of his game. This last year was his first true year in a passing offense with a QB who had a prayer of understanding the offense and getting him the ball.

He'll get better. He's this year's Brandon Marshall, and I want him. The Chiefs have got to be looking at him and drooling over having a hometown kid with that much potential, at least if they have any sense.

Taking him away from the Chiefs and adding him to our offense as a weapon would be like getting two Christmas presents.

Make it happen. I don't care what round it's in. 2nd, 4th...make it happen. For me it's Sweed, Kelly, Thomas, Hardy, Nelson. So any time after the 4th WR goes off the board you can feel free to start looking Jordy's way.

~G

atwater27
03-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Ryan Clady.....

Our draft needs in my opinion are DT 1st, OT second, LB 3rd, then WR, safety and OG.
We don't have a chance in hell for DT in the 1st, I don't want to waste a 1st rounder on an undersized linebacker like Connor. Wide receiver, like Boss said, is scary to pick in 1st. And I like some receivers that will definitely be available later. Safety would be a waste of a #12 IMO this season. and guards are much easier to come by than tackles, especially left tackles.
We have one of the bright, bright young quarterback stars in the league. We MUST protect him. We lose Cutty, we lose anything resembling a winning record for at least a couple of seasons. We have to select a prospect that can protect our priceless signalcaller for the next decade. It is a no brainer, in my opinion, that we should select Ryan Clady, and if he is already gone which is highly likely,( alot of mocks have him gone as high as 5, ) than Otah would be a solid pick at 12.
Ignore all the hoolyballah that some people like to say he is unworthy of 1st round status. He is a good young tackle. Tackles are very very valuable in the NFL.
Pick him if we stay at 12.

atwater27
03-10-2008, 03:42 PM
I was impressed with Hogg's case for Johnathan Stewart. IMO, we don't need a running back. But getting Stewart would be like getting a 70 inch High Def LCD TV as a gift when you could only afford a 32 inch Walmart special.

LRtagger
03-10-2008, 04:23 PM
I would really love for us to trade down. I don't think there will be a DT or OT available that we should select at #12. This leaves us with two logical options: WR or RB. I am really tempted to say WR because I would really love to pick up Knowshon Moreno next year and settle with our RB corp this season...but, then again, there is no guarantee that we will be able to select him next year.

I just don't think that any of the top WR's are worth a #12 pick - Limas Sweed, DeSean Jackson, Malcolm Kelly, etc are all late first round picks...and I am confident we can pick up a WR in the 2nd or 4th (Devin Thomas, Early Doucet, Jordy Nelson, Mario Manningham, James Hardy).

Obviously if McFadden were still available at #12, he would be the standout choice, but I just dont think a player as talented a McFadden will slip so far, no matter what the first 11 teams' needs are.

I am going to have to go with the concensus and say I would select Rashard Mendenhall with the #12 selection. He runs low and compact with great speed and vision. He has great hands out of the backfield as well which is something we can really use when our O-line cant control the pocket.

Its a tough choice between Mendenhall and Stewart. I think both guys are similar and would fit well into our system. I would be happy if we selected either one of those guys at #12.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-10-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm gonna mix it up a bit and go...#12 Jeff Otah, OT, Pitt 6'6" 322

Otah is the large roadgrader that Denver has needed for goalline and short yardage. He is the perfect RT, but is athletic and smart enough to play LT if Harris does not pan out. Our redzone offense has been nothing short of abysmal and given that our uber-dependable kicker is gonzo, we need to ensure we are getting 6 instead of 3 once we get close.

Drafting Otah would allow Kuper to stay on the interior of the line, thus creating a potentially dominant OLine for years to come with Harris, Otah, Kuper, Holland and Myers. Well, C may still need addressed, but you know where I'm going.

That's my case for Otah...bash away.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Round 5...Kerry Brown, OG, Appalachian State 6'6" 310

With Nalen aging, Hamilton an injury question mark and Myers a Free Agent, depth is needed for the interior Oline. Kerry Brown has experience in a spread offense and dominated his competition. Although he is I-AA, he also dominated his defenders v Michigan in the season opener. May be a bit of a project, but he moves well and is a great pass blocker in the middle. May be an option at Center.

Brown started four of eight games during his freshman season of 2004, starting at the left guard position all of the team's 15 games during his sophomore campaign. He repeated the feat in 2006. Following that season, Brown was named Southern Conference Offensive Lineman of the Year in 2006. He also earned first team Division I-AA All American honors. He has had a solid senior campaign, again starting all of the team's games at left guard and again he took first team All American honors. Brown ended his collegiate career by being selected to play in the Texas vs. The Nation All Star Game on February 2, 2008.

Brown is an experienced starter. At times he looks to be a "man against boy" while playing against his team's weekly competition. He has a good frame and weight distribution. He is a good pass protector being able to stay low and maintain good leverage. Brown moves laterally with ease and is very smooth while changing directions. He moves well in the second and third blocking level and can play under control. While he uses his hands well, he needs to improve his mechanics. He doesn't have great speed (5.24-40) and will have trouble with edge rushers. He definitely needs to add weight and strength because he gets pushed around. Another concern is that he needs to learn to sustain blockers better. Brown's competition level is somewhat of a concern.

Brown is a hard worker, he can play with injuries and is willing to learn the position. The fact that he sometimes dominated against his opponents means that the level of competition label could be a wash. He is not a great athlete and did not posses any overshadowing trait.

BOSSHOGG30
03-10-2008, 09:20 PM
5th round to 7th round......

WR, Luke Dillon

Super under-rated, big guy, very strong, great blocker, good hands, very fast.

Dillon ran a 4.46 40-yard dash and measured in at 6-foot-4 and 233 pounds. Dillon ran the shuttle in 4.16 seconds and performed the three-cone drill in 6.77 seconds. He performed 17 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press. His vertical jump was 33 inches and his broad jump was nine feet and six inches.

He is a bit raw and will need to improve on his route running, but the potential is there. His size, speed, and blocking ability are very rare. Great project #2 to place next to Brandon Marshall.

2007 stats:
93 receptions, 1241 yards, 14 TD's
Averaged 128.3 yards per game

BOSSHOGG30
03-10-2008, 09:23 PM
5th round:

Kory Lichtensteiger

Delivers a violent punch, gets adequate hand placement and locks on once in position. Gets under defenders pads, drives legs and shows decent lower body strength as a run blocker. Has a mean streak, works from snap until whistle and can put defenders on their backs. Shows adequate footwork as a run blocker and flashes the ability to reach defenders lined over outside shoulder. Takes sound angles to blocks and can get into position at the second level. Shows decent range, is always looking to hit someone downfield and flashes the ability to pull effectively. Gets adequate not great zip on shotgun snaps and is fairly accurate when asked to shotgun snap. Reads defenses well, makes sound line calls and is a leader. Played with a torn labrun during the 2006 season and is a team player with great toughness.

Would give us a great center prospect when Nalen calls it quits.

Skinny
03-10-2008, 09:39 PM
How much easier would our draft have been if James Laurinaitis left? Geez...Or Jasper Brinkley ...

If he did'nt get hurt during the 4th game of the season ... he probably would have declared [edit: he would have, he was a Senior ... heh]. Pre-Season Lombardi and Butkus watch, was having a solid year up until then and he had a great game against Georgia in the Hedges ...

Skinny
03-10-2008, 09:45 PM
5th round:

Kory LichtensteigerI clicked across something where there were a few teams that interveiwed Kory during the Combine, one of them being the Broncos. Not sure how Mikey/Dennison feel about Myers at center, but i know they like their O-lineman with the ability to play multiple positions. With Nalens obvious age and injuries and Hamiltons concussions worries ... Kory makes sense ...

Skinny
03-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Earl Bennett. Good route runner, good hands, good speed (4.48). Will fight for the ball and willing to do the dirty work (blocking) which is a must. And hopefully picking him up while comfortably sitting at #42 too.

Perfect compliment to BMarsh, TScheff, and JStew :D ...

D1g1tal j1m
03-11-2008, 01:39 PM
5 round:
Owen Schmitt. A true blocking FB. 6-2, 247. With no true FB on the roster it is time to go and get a young one that can be the bulldozer this team needs (ala Griff). Enough with the tweeners. A true blocking FB will really help Henry, who isn't a burner or that elusive in space, having a FB to open the holes will allow Henry to punish the second level guys where he is more effective. Schmitt will also help in blocking the edge rushers on play action passes allow Cutler more time to survey the field.
We need some more true grit guys that will do the dirty work for our more skilled players. Instead of trying to turn RB's into FB's maybe we should just get a guy who wants to bang heads and put some hurt on the opponents. We need to balance out the offense and Schmitt can be a big part of the puzzle.

BOSSHOGG30
03-11-2008, 01:43 PM
5 round:
Owen Schmitt. A true blocking FB. 6-2, 247. With no true FB on the roster it is time to go and get a young one that can be the bulldozer this team needs (ala Griff). Enough with the tweeners. A true blocking FB will really help Henry, who isn't a burner or that elusive in space, having a FB to open the holes will allow Henry to punish the second level guys where he is more effective. Schmitt will also help in blocking the edge rushers on play action passes allow Cutler more time to survey the field.
We need some more true grit guys that will do the dirty work for our more skilled players. Instead of trying to turn RB's into FB's maybe we should just get a guy who wants to bang heads and put some hurt on the opponents. We need to balance out the offense and Schmitt can be a big part of the puzzle.

Probably won't be there in the 5th... looks like a 3rd or 4th rounder for sure... but I like your thinking.

LRtagger
03-11-2008, 01:58 PM
5 round:

Agreed...I wholeheartedly hope that we pick up a blocking FB in this year's draft. Schmitt is my top choice. I hope he slips to us in the late rounds.

shank
03-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Agreed...I wholeheartedly hope that we pick up a blocking FB in this year's draft. Schmitt is my top choice. I hope he slips to us in the late rounds.

i'd love to have schmitt on our team, but the resigning of sapp makes it seem like a stretch. i'd still like to get a real FB, and schmitt is at the top of my list too.

LRtagger
03-11-2008, 04:07 PM
Shit i didnt realize we resigned Sapp. :(

shank
03-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Shit i didnt realize we resigned Sapp. :(

well, sorry, not official yet, but we are in talks with him again, and he never went on any other visits, so it's probable in my eyes.

(my bad)

Requiem / The Dagda
03-11-2008, 04:34 PM
I'd make a case for Jeremy Zuttah, OL out of Rutgers for us in round four or so. He could go above that based on solid work outs, but he's a great prospect. Played almost every position for the Scarlet Knights in his career, but found a home at RT. Probably too small to play that in the NFL; but would give nice options for us at a variety of spots. Nice athleticism, gets to the second level. He's just awesome.

lex
03-11-2008, 04:53 PM
I'd make a case for Jeremy Zuttah, OL out of Rutgers for us in round four or so. He could go above that based on solid work outs, but he's a great prospect. Played almost every position for the Scarlet Knights in his career, but found a home at RT. Probably too small to play that in the NFL; but would give nice options for us at a variety of spots. Nice athleticism, gets to the second level. He's just awesome.

Plus plays with a bit of a mean streak, didnt give up a sack in 2 or three years, paved the way for an extremely productive runner,...and I think I read that he's an economics major so Id put money on him being smart.

D1g1tal j1m
03-11-2008, 04:58 PM
3rd round: Tyvon Branch, CB, Connecticut: 6', 194, 4.31 40.

Fast CB who is not afraid of tackling bigger players. He made plays and often played opposite the other teams best receiver. He made all the secondary calls for the defense (a role usually reserved for the safeties).

He excelled as the Kick returner for the Huskies. He just made plays. If we are able to get a 3rd rounder for Foxy, I would love to see Shan pick Branch.

P.S. Did I mention he went to UConn (my alma mater)