PDA

View Full Version : Orton likely needs big year in 2010 to get big contract

Lonestar
02-11-2010, 09:31 PM
Q&A: Orton likely needs big year in 2010 to get big contract
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
POSTED: 01/26/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

Broncos QB Kyle Orton (Denver Post file photo)
Today's question about the Broncos comes from Dennis Smythe.

Q: Will the Broncos sign quarterback Kyle Orton to a long-term deal or will they simply tender him for a year in 2010? You and many of your colleagues have argued that it is difficult to win without an above-average QB, and I find it hard to believe that Broncos coach Josh McDaniels thinks he can win an NFL championship with Orton.

A: Dennis, unless something changes, the expectation is that the Broncos will try to figure out what they can work out with Elvis Dumervil, the league leader in sacks this season, as a first priority. It's almost a given that Dumervil will receive an offer sheet from another team if the Broncos don't respond first, and that Orton will get a one-year tender offer from Denver.

I know a lot of fans have made their minds up about Orton. There is plenty of history to suggest that he has worked in offenses that don't stretch the field and struggle to score from time to time, that he avoids mistakes above all else and will rarely make throws that carry some risk but also bring the reward of big plays.

Orton also has done exactly what his coaches have told him to do. Unlike some quarterbacks, he doesn't simply check out of plays he doesn't like.

But there are plenty of football people who believe he could probably do more if an offense would let him. He has showed plenty of arm in his NFL career, the last two passes against the Oakland Raiders at Invesco Field at Mile High being prime examples. He likely could push the ball down the field more if he were in an offense that was more balanced and with people who were more willing to let him try.

After seeing Orton in practice, he has plenty of arm strength. But it's inconsistent. He can wing the ball, but his deep ball will come up short on many plays.

If I were looking at Orton without any knowledge about his history, I would say that shows he's aiming the ball, fearing the mistake, so he short-arms the ball instead of completing the throw.

Enough arm strength is there, but Orton's deep ball is not always accurate. The quarterbacks who throw the deep ball well have great arms, but they also have the confidence to let it fly and finish their follow-throughs.

Orton has played for two NFL head coaches — Chicago's Lovie Smith and Denver's McDaniels — who have drilled him above all else not to make mistakes. So he's going to play that way. Nobody wants to make mistakes, but there is playing to avoid mistakes and there is playing to make plays.

Orton has spent his NFL career playing not to make mistakes. He has followed directions and done what he has been told.

Like most players, Orton would like a long-term contract. He has said he would like to buy a house somewhere and settle in, but he's probably going to need a big season in 2010 to get a long-term deal in Denver or someplace else.

There are never enough quality quarterbacks to fill the jobs in the league, but Orton seems to be one of those players who's going to need someone to believe in him in the short term, to let him play with more freedom, to get something done over the long term.

And if or when he's presented with opportunities to let the ball fly — however few they may be — Orton has to take advantage of each one.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14265480#ixzz0fHiPtdP4

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
02-11-2010, 10:21 PM
all true

gnomeflinger
02-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Is this ever not true?

turftoad
02-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Orton is Unlikely to get a BIG contract from anybody. Avarage talent brings average money.

Just sayin.

TXBRONC
02-11-2010, 11:07 PM
Orton is Unlikely to get a BIG contract from anybody. Avarage talent brings average money.

Just sayin.

This is why I don't think Orton is a long solution. He plays not to make mistakes. He has said himself that his job is take care of the ball and not make mistakes.

Nobody wants to make mistakes, but there is playing to avoid mistakes and there is playing to make plays.

WARHORSE
02-11-2010, 11:34 PM

Just sayin.

Id like to offer my below average talent for a below average NFL contract.

League minimum will do, thank you very much.:coffee:

TXBRONC
02-11-2010, 11:42 PM
Id like to offer my below average talent for a below average NFL contract.

League minimum will do, thank you very much.:coffee:

I don't think Orton will get some kind of mega deal.

turftoad
02-11-2010, 11:47 PM
I don't think Orton will get some kind of mega deal.

I think, Orton himself, knows that.

SR
02-12-2010, 01:04 AM
I hope he plays just like he did last year so that he isn't our QB anymore in 2011 if there's a season.

NameUsedBefore
02-12-2010, 01:50 AM
I hope he acts like he deserves a big contract so we have an excuse to give him the boot and restart the QB position.

frenchfan
02-12-2010, 02:43 AM
This is why I don't think Orton is a long solution. He plays not to make mistakes. He has said himself that his job is take care of the ball and not make mistakes.I have to agree with you TX...

Anyway, I don't care having Orton with an average contract, save money to invest on our other issues and to find (draft?) our next QB... And just see how things will turn...

After all... a miracle and Orton is turning to be the ideal QB in our system... It will time to pay him...
If not (more likely), we'll progress as a team and we would not be too in a hurry to find a QB...
Just my 2 cents though...

DenBronx
02-12-2010, 02:56 AM
in order for orton to have anthing close to a big year then he will need marshall to stay, royal to actually show up as a wr in 2010, moreno to put up td's and our play calling to drastically get better.

Nomad
02-12-2010, 08:19 AM
All I can say is I wish him luck and hope he wows BRONCO fans because if he plays that great to get the big contract then he would have wowed BRONCO fans......I don't see it happening but I'm willing to give him a chance next year!! Then again if McDaniels does't fix the oline to fit his system, what QB/RB will succeed in this offense

claymore
02-12-2010, 08:33 AM
I hope Unicorns exist.

Nomad
02-12-2010, 08:44 AM
I hope Unicorns exist.

I don't think he'll exceed expectations and more than likely isn't the answer but I'm not going to hope the guy fails because that reflects on the BRONCOS, then again there are some who hope Orton and McDaniels do fail to say they were right. :ohwell: what ever floats their boat!!

claymore
02-12-2010, 08:48 AM
I don't think he'll exceed expectations and more than likely isn't the answer but I'm not going to hope the guy fails because that reflects on the BRONCOS, then again there are some who hope Orton and McDaniels do fail to say they were right. :ohwell: what ever floats their boat!!

I agree a 100%. In the highly unlikely event Orton becomes a top tier QB, I would be pretty happy.

SOCALORADO.
02-12-2010, 08:50 AM
I hope we trade for Kolb or Moore.

And i also hope Unicorns exist. Cause that means star sprinkles will explode from claymore ass when i make my wish.

claymore
02-12-2010, 08:54 AM
I hope we trade for Kolb or Moore.

And i also hope Unicorns exist. Cause that means star sprinkles will explode from claymore ass when i make my wish.

Im pretty turned off of getting a new unproven starter since Ben McDaniels is our QB coach.

I know Josh will make sure he succeeds, but that is my concern. We need McD to focus on everything, not just our new cherry QB.

If offense fails this year, I would rather do it with Orton, and let whatever new HC bring in his QB, and system etc... Start from scratch so to say...

SOCALORADO.
02-12-2010, 09:10 AM
Im pretty turned off of getting a new unproven starter since Ben McDaniels is our QB coach.

I know Josh will make sure he succeeds, but that is my concern. We need McD to focus on everything, not just our new cherry QB.

If offense fails this year, I would rather do it with Orton, and let whatever new HC bring in his QB, and system etc... Start from scratch so to say...

Kolb can play the 'spread" but also has learned Andy Reids Holmgren-west coast offense since being drafted there.
So if Kolb came to DEN, he would fit in with any new coach.
Moore would have to learn much of MCDs system, but hes talented enough to do it.
I dont think it would matter much, especially with Kolb. I actually kinda like Kolb for that very reason! He could play in any coaches scheme.
But yeah, i see your take though.

TXBRONC
02-12-2010, 09:21 AM
I have to agree with you TX...

Anyway, I don't care having Orton with an average contract, save money to invest on our other issues and to find (draft?) our next QB... And just see how things will turn...

After all... a miracle and Orton is turning to be the ideal QB in our system... It will time to pay him...
If not (more likely), we'll progress as a team and we would not be too in a hurry to find a QB...
Just my 2 cents though...

From the article:

Nobody wants to make mistakes, but there is playing to avoid mistakes and there is playing to make plays.

If a head coach is looking for a starting quarterback that plays to avoid mistakes then I suppose Orton is ideal because that is the kind quarterback Orton is in my opinion. A coach and his team can be successful with that approach but it also means the other two phase of games are preforming at an optimal level. That being said, I think every head coach in League would prefer to have quarterback that plays to make plays.

claymore
02-12-2010, 09:37 AM
From the article:

If a head coach is looking for a starting quarterback that plays to avoid mistakes then I suppose Orton is ideal because that is the kind quarterback Orton is in my opinion. A coach and his team can be successful with that approach but it also means the other two phase of games are preforming at an optimal level. That being said, I think every head coach in League would prefer to have quarterback that plays to make plays.

He would have been great for the Ravens and Bucs when they dominated with their defense.

TXBRONC
02-12-2010, 09:58 AM
He would have been great for the Ravens and Bucs when they dominated with their defense.

Probably so.

SR
02-12-2010, 01:01 PM
I believe our future starter is already on our roster...Tom Brandstater...

claymore
02-12-2010, 01:06 PM
I believe our future starter is already on our roster...Tom Brandstater...

That would be effin sweet. I know it would instantly erase alot animosity amongst alot of fans towards the HC.

broncofaninfla
02-12-2010, 01:08 PM
At this point, I'm against Denver offering anything long term for Orton. He isn't the QB of the future in my opinion. I'm all for keeping him here until we have a better option and feel Kolb could be that better option.

Spiritguy
02-12-2010, 01:53 PM
What about the option of finding a new starter and giving Orton a contract reflective of a good back up qb? I think he would fit that roll really well. If the starter went out for a bit you could count on Orton to take care of the ball.

SR
02-12-2010, 03:00 PM
That would be effin sweet. I know it would instantly erase alot animosity amongst alot of fans towards the HC.

I think Brandstater has the ideal size, he's smart, and based on what I saw when he was playing at Fresno and in preseason he's got a cannon. I don't think he'd be a step down from Orton and I think he'd give us a more legitimate down field threat.

T.K.O.
02-12-2010, 03:47 PM
i would'nt say orton is a long term solution either (maybe i would if we win 12 games next season) but i also think he has shown the ability to play very well at times.just as he did in chicago he was an early pro-bowl candidate in denver last year until his ankle got jacked up.
just saying with another year of study and play in the new system and hopefully no injury, it is very possible the playbook will open up and /or we wont even need alot of "deep passing".
and same goes for moreno,with some better blocking and more decisive running we should have a serious threat at tailback !:salute:

Lonestar
02-12-2010, 04:27 PM
I have yet to hear about any "big contract" demands from anyone but the media or those that still do not get a complete change in scheme for everyone on the team, having a compound dislocated finger on his throwing hand that required him to use a glove for the first 4-6 games. Then he had a high ankle sprain for the last 6 weeks or so. No one can remotely say that all of this combined did not slow the Developement of timing and consistency of play.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

Lonestar
02-12-2010, 05:32 PM
I have yet to hear about any "big contract" demands from anyone but the media or those that still do not get a complete change in scheme for everyone on the team, having a compound dislocated finger on his throwing hand that required him to use a glove for the first 4-6 games. Then he had a high ankle sprain for the last 6 weeks or so. No one can remotely say that all of this combined did not slow the Developement of timing and consistency of play.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.