PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Martindale down to business

Denver Native (Carol)
02-11-2010, 04:39 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14382880

Having just moved up without moving out, newly-hired Broncos defensive coordinator Don Martindale, continues to settle into his new job, pouring over what the Broncos did last season to see what needs fixing and what may not.

"My plan of attack right now is the same as every defensive coordinator around the league," Martindale said today. "Evaluate what you do, evaluate what you did, the scheme, what you keep, what worked, what didn't, what you throw out. All of those things.

"It's still ongoing, we're still looking at it, but we want to be that tough, smart group."

Martindale was promoted two weeks ago from Broncos linebackers coach to be the team's fifth defensive coordinator in the past five years. And since his appointment he had a brief stop in Miami as outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil's guest at the Pro Bowl before returning to the Broncos' Dove Valley complex to get down to the business of the Broncos' defensive plan.

The Broncos finished seventh overall in yards allowed this past season, a vast improvement over their 29th place finish in 2008. But things unraveled in the team's 2-8 collapse down the stretch, particularly in run defense when five of their last nine opponents rushed for at least 173 yards and three topped the 200-yard mark.

Head coach Josh McDaniels and former defensive coordinator Mike Nolan parted ways, with Nolan leaving to become the Dolphins' defensive coordinator.

"I feel like I'm ready for this job, I want this job, and I'm going to work hard at this job," Martindale said. "I believe in myself. We're going to be better."

claymore
02-11-2010, 04:41 PM
Gods Speed Don! :salute:

Dirk
02-11-2010, 06:53 PM
Gods Speed Don! :salute:

I actually high fived you!! It's been a little while for that. :salute:

So I will high five myself for high fiving you!

Lonestar
02-11-2010, 08:39 PM
sounds like Doom may give Don a home town discount this coming year.

Martindale was promoted two weeks ago from Broncos linebackers coach to be the team's fifth defensive coordinator in the past five years. And since his appointment he had a brief stop in Miami as outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil's guest at the Pro Bowl before returning to the Broncos' Dove Valley complex to get down to the business of the Broncos' defensive plan.

I hope he does not suffer a sophomore slump :D