PDA

View Full Version : Broncos deny interest in McNabb

broncofaninfla
02-10-2010, 07:23 PM
Broncos deny interest in McNabb

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 10, 2010 6:23 PM ET
Sal Paolantonio said Sunday that three teams have spoken to the Eagles about Donovan McNabb: Buffalo, Cleveland, and Denver.

The Broncos are the only team in the group with an established starting quarterback, so it's no surprise they told the Denver Post there is "no truth" to the report.

Perhaps the Broncos are just covering their tracks. Why not deny it?

Still, this is an odd fit. Josh McDaniels' offense is much different than Andy Reid's and we can't imagine the Broncos giving up the compensation required to get McNabb.

If the Eagles are going to trade McNabb or Kevin Kolb -- and we doubt they will -- the suitor will have to be desperate enough to give up major compensation. Kyle Orton played well enough last season that the Broncos should not be that desperate.

broncofaninfla
02-10-2010, 07:32 PM
If Mcd is telling the truth then this goes a step towards erasing the questions about his honesty to his players. If he isn't, it could be another step towards his Denver Head coaching destiny as the former head coach of the Denver Broncos.

I personally hope the McNabb rumor isn't true and the it's Kolb we are inquiring about. Kolb vs Orton would be something I would love to see in camp.

Dirk
02-11-2010, 06:33 AM
I wouldn't mind Kolb in Broncos colors! McNabb....um...no.

Don't you just love the suspense of the off season? You can almost taste it.

NightTrainLayne
02-11-2010, 10:00 AM
So. .. we denied inquiring about McNabb. .. but did not deny inquiring about Kolb.

Of course, I can't fathom Philly letting Kolb go anyways, but if we're inquiring, it's comforting to imagine that we're inquiring about the right one.

Eek. .. just realized we didn't deny inquiring about Vick! arrrgghhh.

broncofaninfla
02-11-2010, 10:10 AM
IF we inquired about a QB from the Eagles I do hope it's Kolb and not Vick. Vick, while talented, doesn't fit the scheme that Mcd runs. Kolb does though. Who knows, the whole rumor might be BS but if it isn't, sounds as though Denver might have expressed some intrest in Kolb and not McNabb or Vick.

SOCALORADO.
02-11-2010, 10:20 AM
IF we inquired about a QB from the Eagles I do hope it's Kolb and not Vick. Vick, while talented, doesn't fit the scheme that Mcd runs. Kolb does though. Who knows, the whole rumor might be BS but if it isn't, sounds as though Denver might have expressed some intrest in Kolb and not McNabb or Vick.

Kolb ran the "spread" at HOU.
Kolb threw for a billion, trillion yards and was incredibly successful at HOU.
Kolb set a bunch of records at HOU, since he threw for...a billion, trillion yards there. He also rushed for over 100 yards and threw for over 400 in one game against TCU.
Kolb knows the "spread" like the back of his hand.
Kolb is incredibly efficient. Running the "spread", he threw for 30 TDs and only threw 4 INTS in his final season.
Kolb ended his career with 12,964 total passing yards, fifth all-time in DIV1-A.

Yeah...........McDaniels is calling about McNabb.

claymore
02-11-2010, 10:20 AM
So. .. we denied inquiring about McNabb. .. but did not deny inquiring about Kolb.

Of course, I can't fathom Philly letting Kolb go anyways, but if we're inquiring, it's comforting to imagine that we're inquiring about the right one.

We are pretty bad when it comes to inquiring about QB's. :D

TXBRONC
02-11-2010, 10:39 AM
If Mcd is telling the truth then this goes a step towards erasing the questions about his honesty to his players. If he isn't, it could be another step towards his Denver Head coaching destiny as the former head coach of the Denver Broncos.

I personally hope the McNabb rumor isn't true and the it's Kolb we are inquiring about. Kolb vs Orton would be something I would love to see in camp.

McDaniels has said on many occasion that he will do what's in the best interested of the team. So I think it depends on how you look at it. He's said that Kyle has shown him enough to be the starter but I don't think that necessarily means he's convinced that Kyle is a long term solution. The only way to upgrade is to either draft quarterback that eventually replace him or trade for one that you think will be an upgrade.

I'm completely in agreement with everyone that isn't in favor bringing in McNabb. McNabb would be an upgrade in my opinion but still a short term solution who would cost more money. Kolb on the other hand would potentially be a long term solution. That being said I don't think we'll end up with either one of them.

Dirk
02-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Marshall and Scheff for Kolb! Do it!

Lonestar
02-11-2010, 01:30 PM
I've said this elsewhere but will repeat it in another Mcnabb thread.

Mc Nabb while a great QB in PHL has faults for being our QB.

He does not know the spread offense.
He is 31+ years old
Is brittle.
IS going to cost draft choices we need for MUCH higher areas.
Has to be on the really high side of his contract. Final year tends to be the most expensive of a contract.

He just does not fit into Joshes mold IMO.

While he could be a rental for a couple of years, we would still have to find a replacement soon.

The original rumor never made any since to me since both Pat and Josh have been pleased with Orton and the progress he made this year. IIRC he made reference to him expecting good thing this coming year when not only Orton, but most of his teammates will be in their second year under a new scheme, as that is where the most improvement is made. Where players are not having to think before reaction to something, it is starting to become automatic.

T.K.O.
02-11-2010, 03:11 PM
i could be that marshall and the fo have already decided his future and he would like to play for the eagles (jackson and marshall = scary)
maybe mcD has been fishing for kolb since he has a pretty big bargaining chip in marshall.
and he would likely have his future qb and could get dez and o-line d-line in the draft:confused:
it kinda makes sense,unless .....the eagles fera a t.o. repeat

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
02-11-2010, 03:19 PM
Does nobody remember just last week Bowlen talking about drafting a Quarterback? The front office is certainly not scoping McNabb, Kolb, Vick, or any of these other guys rumored. It are a fact, I know because of my learnings.

Lonestar
02-11-2010, 03:32 PM
i could be that marshall and the fo have already decided his future and he would like to play for the eagles (jackson and marshall = scary)
maybe mcD has been fishing for kolb since he has a pretty big bargaining chip in marshall.
and he would likely have his future qb and could get dez and o-line d-line in the draft:confused:
it kinda makes sense,unless .....the eagles fera a t.o. repeat

Hey If I were the eagles and knowing what a disruption that TO was, I'd pass.

T.K.O.
02-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Hey If I were the eagles and knowing what a disruption that TO was, I'd pass.

yeah but mashall would likely get his big $$$ so he would'nt pout anymore,the only remaining issue would be if he can stay out of legal trouble and co-exist with another star reciever.
he did,nt mind eddie getting alot of catches but.....

Lonestar
02-11-2010, 03:43 PM
yeah but mashall would likely get his big $$$ so he would'nt pout anymore,the only remaining issue would be if he can stay out of legal trouble and co-exist with another star reciever.
he did,nt mind eddie getting alot of catches but.....

I think it more the issue with him doing something stupid.

He made stupid decisions when he was poor and then when he had more money they just got worse.

If he gets a huge payday, DO you think he will become a choir boy? and not make stupid choices.

T.K.O.
02-11-2010, 03:47 PM
i really dont know.....like you said,we all deserve a fresh start now and then....but will people take a chance on him. i have no doubt .
he is just too talented for teams to pass on and its not like he killed anyone

Lonestar
02-11-2010, 03:49 PM
i really dont know.....like you said,we all deserve a fresh start now and then....but will people take a chance on him. i have no doubt .
he is just too talented for teams to pass on and its not like he killed anyone

with the threat of 8 weeks vacation balanced on his next police report. Lots of folks are going to be shier than if he was not so volatile.

Lonestar
02-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Interest in McNabb denied by team
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
POSTED: 02/11/2010 01:00:00 AM MST

It is pro football profiling, of sorts.

The Broncos haven't committed to Kyle Orton as their quarterback over the long term, they missed the playoffs in an 8-8 season with a 2-8 collapse down the stretch, and the "offseason" officially began Monday in the NFL.

Now comes an ESPN report that the Broncos are among a handful of teams the Philadelphia Eagles have talked to about veteran quarterback Donovan McNabb. It figures to be one of many trips through the rumor mill for the Broncos in coming weeks.

Especially since the Broncos routinely have been one of the league leaders in drama, with the reality show-worthy tiff involving Jay Cutler last spring still fresh in everyone's minds.

But two Broncos sources emphatically said there is "no truth" to reports describing Denver as a possible landing spot for McNabb.
Unless the Broncos, Eagles coach Andy Reid and McNabb are fibbing, McNabb figures to be in Philadelphia one more season. Reid already has said McNabb is his starting quarterback for 2010 and McNabb said last week in Miami he would be with the Eagles in the 2010 season.

McNabb has a year left on his contract, which was re-negotiated in June 2009, with a salary cap figure of $5 million for 2010, according to NFL salary documents. It includes some additional bonus money as well.

McNabb has played his entire NFL career in the Eagles' West Coast offense — something far closer to what Mike Shanahan, not Josh McDan-iels, ran in Denver.

The terminology is different, the reads are different and the transition wouldn't come all that quickly, even for a proven player like McNabb, who has passed for 32,873 yards and 216 touchdowns in his career.

Many in the league expect the Eagles to keep McNabb unless some team blows them away with an offer that includes a first-round draft pick or the equivalent — a pricey endeavor for a quarterback who turns 34 on Nov. 25 and has only a year left on his contract.

Kevin Kolb, 25, the Eagles' No. 2 quarterback, would be their starter beyond the 2010 season.

Michael Vick, the Eagles' No. 3 quarterback, played sparingly in his return to the league in 2009. Vick is likely to be traded during the off-season.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14378779#ixzz0fHkSUvfD

TXBRONC
02-11-2010, 11:25 PM

While that does not eliminate Vick I don't think anyone has to be on the coaching staff to realize Vick in no way, shape, or form fits into McDaniels style of offense. I would seriously have to question McDaniels sanity if he brought in Vick.

e-Lou-sive1
02-12-2010, 10:33 AM
Dungy pleaded to Andy Reid to give Micheal Vick a chance when no other team would touch him including us.I don't think much has really changed as far as the team changing their interests.

Mc Nabb would be the better fit with his experience gettting to the playoffs and being able to reach his receivers not mention he will have Buckhalter in the backfield and quality receivers.

Kevin Kolb would be a good fit but I think Philadelphia would rather have him come in and fill Mc Nabb or Vicks shoes.He is still young and they probably see a lot of possiblity in him.

What worse coud Mc Nabb do to us they we haven't already done to ourselves. Buffalo and Cleveland are the other interested teams that's not much of a choice.

Do it for Barrel Man who is probably rolling in his grave right now (R.I.P.) with all the changes that have taken place and the mediocre seasons we been frustrated with.

broncofaninfla
02-12-2010, 10:48 AM
PHILADELPHIA EAGLES -- How will the Eagles three-headed quarterback situation shake out?
Andy Reid has said Donovan McNabb will return for the final year of his contract, and No. 5 says that's his understanding as well. The Eagles love Kevin Kolb and won't trade him unless somebody blows their doors off (Cleveland?). And Philly even says it has the luxury of bringing back Michael "Wildcat'' Vick at $5 million. But don't count on it.
The Eagles reportedly are already listening to teams interested in McNabb (Denver, Cleveland and Buffalo), and there's a chance Brad Childress and the Vikings might even give up a first-round pick (No. 30) for him if Brett Favre retires (again). More likely, the Eagles would have to settle for second- and fourth-round picks. I also expect Philly to shop Vick for a mid-round pick, and St. Louis still makes the most logical destination.
*And another thing: Given his health issues, his $7.5 million salary, and the emergence of LeSean McCoy, Brian Westbrook's chances of being in green and white again next season aren't good. Is retirement, a big pay cut or an outright release in the offing for Westbrook?

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/02/11/nfc/index.html?xid=cnnbin&hpt=Sbin#ixzz0fKx2V1xr (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/02/11/nfc/index.html?xid=cnnbin&hpt=Sbin#ixzz0fKx2V1xr)

SOCALORADO.
02-12-2010, 11:00 AM
PHILADELPHIA EAGLES -- How will the Eagles three-headed quarterback situation shake out?
Andy Reid has said Donovan McNabb will return for the final year of his contract, and No. 5 says that's his understanding as well. The Eagles love Kevin Kolb and won't trade him unless somebody blows their doors off (Cleveland?). And Philly even says it has the luxury of bringing back Michael "Wildcat'' Vick at $5 million. But don't count on it.
The Eagles reportedly are already listening to teams interested in McNabb (Denver, Cleveland and Buffalo), and there's a chance Brad Childress and the Vikings might even give up a first-round pick (No. 30) for him if Brett Favre retires (again). More likely, the Eagles would have to settle for second- and fourth-round picks. I also expect Philly to shop Vick for a mid-round pick, and St. Louis still makes the most logical destination.
*And another thing: Given his health issues, his $7.5 million salary, and the emergence of LeSean McCoy, Brian Westbrook's chances of being in green and white again next season aren't good. Is retirement, a big pay cut or an outright release in the offing for Westbrook?

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/02/11/nfc/index.html?xid=cnnbin&hpt=Sbin#ixzz0fKx2V1xr (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/02/11/nfc/index.html?xid=cnnbin&hpt=Sbin#ixzz0fKx2V1xr)

There was a rumor last year just before the draft that CLE offered a 2nd and a 5th for Kolb, and PHIL turned them down.
I am sure MCD inquired about what it would take to get Kolb. I would just love to know.
Shaub was had for 2 2nds.
I think Kolbs price tag could be around what HOU paid for Shaub. If MCD threw in a player possibly Sheffler or Harris, it could get done. But thats alot.
I dont think Chili would give up a 1st for McNabb. Maybe a 2nd, and a player.

TXBRONC
02-12-2010, 11:20 AM
There was a rumor last year just before the draft that CLE offered a 2nd and a 5th for Kolb, and PHIL turned them down.
I am sure MCD inquired about what it would take to get Kolb. I would just love to know.
Shaub was had for 2 2nds.
I think Kolbs price tag could be around what HOU paid for Shaub. If MCD threw in a player possibly Sheffler or Harris, it could get done. But thats alot.
I dont think Chili would give up a 1st for McNabb. Maybe a 2nd, and a player.

I don't think Scheffler or Harris would be enticing because I think the Eagles are set at those two positions. While I think we would be better off Scheffler were to stay but I think he's a lot easier to replace than Harris.

Do we have two 2nd round picks that we could trade for Kolb if the Eagles were interested? In the end I don't think the Eagles would interested because drafted to eventually replace McNabb.

TXBRONC
02-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Dungy pleaded to Andy Reid to give Micheal Vick a chance when no other team would touch him including us.I don't think much has really changed as far as the team changing their interests.

Mc Nabb would be the better fit with his experience gettting to the playoffs and being able to reach his receivers not mention he will have Buckhalter in the backfield and quality receivers.

Kevin Kolb would be a good fit but I think Philadelphia would rather have him come in and fill Mc Nabb or Vicks shoes.He is still young and they probably see a lot of possiblity in him.

What worse coud Mc Nabb do to us they we haven't already done to ourselves. Buffalo and Cleveland are the other interested teams that's not much of a choice.

Do it for Barrel Man who is probably rolling in his grave right now (R.I.P.) with all the changes that have taken place and the mediocre seasons we been frustrated with.

Bringing in McNabb still wouldn't change our need for a long term solution at quarterback IMHO.

SOCALORADO.
02-12-2010, 11:54 AM
I don't think Scheffler or Harris would be enticing because I think the Eagles are set at those two positions. While I think we would be better off Scheffler were to stay but I think he's a lot easier to replace than Harris.

Do we have two 2nd round picks that we could trade for Kolb if the Eagles were interested? In the end I don't think the Eagles would interested because drafted to eventually replace McNabb.

Their o-line needs help. many think Harris could play LT too. And if not they could move him around a bit with the players they do have. Their o-line could get a bit of a revamp.
And Cellek in not a true starter in the NFL. Hes an ok TE, but a true pass catching TE would make that offense with no "big", true, red zone recievers a much more potent offense. The offense needs to get bigger in PHIL. I could easily see them taking Gresham in the 1st.
But who knows.

As for the 2nds. HOU gave up their 2nd round picks in consecutive years. I cant remember what years those were. Like a 2006 2nd and a 2007 2nd.

I actually could see MCD doing something like this if he wanted Kolb. I also think that Reid is kinda stuck with McNabb. The fans have really come around to him, and he has a few more good years in him. I could see Reid just drafting another QB and letting him sit behind McNabb for the next 2-3 years while they try to win with McNabb. Plus netting 2 2nds (hypothetically) would really allow them to addrress any defensive issues they have.

CoachChaz
02-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Their o-line needs help. many think Harris could play LT too. And if not they could move him around a bit with the players they do have. Their o-line could get a bit of a revamp.
And Cellek in not a true starter in the NFL. Hes an ok TE, but a true pass catching TE would make that offense with no "big", true, red zone recievers a much more potent offense. The offense needs to get bigger in PHIL. I could easily see them taking Gresham in the 1st.
But who knows.

As for the 2nds. HOU gave up their 2nd round picks in consecutive years. I cant remember what years those were. Like a 2006 2nd and a 2007 2nd.

I actually could see MCD doing something like this if he wanted Kolb. I also think that Reid is kinda stuck with McNabb. The fans have really come around to him, and he has a few more good years in him. I could see Reid just drafting another QB and letting him sit behind McNabb for the next 2-3 years while they try to win with McNabb. Plus netting 2 2nds (hypothetically) would really allow them to addrress any defensive issues they have.

Celek is 6'4", 255. He caught 76 balls this season to lead the pass-happy Eagles in receptions. He just signed a 6 year, $33 million dollar contract extension with $10 million guaranteed. Not that it matters in Reid's version of the WCO, but hi sblocking has significantly improved.

They will not draft Gresham and they will not trade for Sheffler. Guaranteed

SOCALORADO.
02-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Celek is 6'4", 255. He caught 76 balls this season to lead the pass-happy Eagles in receptions. He just signed a 6 year, $33 million dollar contract extension with $10 million guaranteed. Not that it matters in Reid's version of the WCO, but hi sblocking has significantly improved.

They will not draft Gresham and they will not trade for Sheffler. Guaranteed

Well, thats the end of that sceanrio! Darnit! I didnt think Cellek was that big. I also still think Sheff is a waay better red zone option as a pass catcher, but yeah thats a big contract to Celleck.

So what about the Shaub/trade in regards to Kolb?

CoachChaz
02-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Well, thats the end of that sceanrio! Darnit! I didnt think Cellek was that big. I also still think Sheff is a waay better red zone option as a pass catcher, but yeah thats a big contract to Celleck.

So what about the Shaub/trade in regards to Kolb?

Celek also had 8 TD's...so he does show up in the red zone.

I highly doubt Kolb gets traded. Reid would be an idiot. McNabb doesnt have alot of time left and they might be able to get a nice trade done involving him...and Vick is bot the future.

Acquiring Kolb is just wishful thinking on my part.

TXBRONC
02-12-2010, 01:36 PM
But who knows.

Since the Eagles did bring Jason Peter in to play LT that need is filled. As far bigger Winston Justice is 20lbs heavier than Harris. In my opinion trading Harris creates the same situation that we could have if Marshall is traded. We possibly upgrade one position but at the same time we another is created at another position. Trading Marshall probably creates a bigger hole than trading Harris but nonetheless you still end up having to spend time and effort filling a hole that you otherwise would not have fill. It would not surprise me if McDaniel made an offer that included Scheffler or Harris but I'm not sure Reid would go for it.

I would have said something about Celek but I saw Chaz already hit on the points I would have made about him.

McNabb is in the last year of his contract so I don't see it as Reid is really being stuck with him. I bellieve Reid draft Kolb with an eye towards the future. Maybe McDaniels could get Reid to go for trading Kolb for two 2nd round picks. If he did I wouldn't complain but I don't see it happening.

SOCALORADO.
02-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Since the Eagles did bring Jason Peter in to play LT that need is filled. As far bigger Winston Justice is 20lbs heavier than Harris. In my opinion trading Harris creates the same situation that we could have if Marshall is traded. We possibly upgrade one position but at the same time we another is created at another position. Trading Marshall probably creates a bigger hole than trading Harris but nonetheless you still end up having to spend time and effort filling a hole that you otherwise would not have fill. It would not surprise me if McDaniel made an offer that included Scheffler or Harris but I'm not sure Reid would go for it.

I would have said something about Celek but I saw Chaz already hit on the points I would have made about him.

McNabb is in the last year of his contract so I don't see it as Reid is really being stuck with him. I bellieve Reid draft Kolb with an eye towards the future. Maybe McDaniels could get Reid to go for trading Kolb for two 2nd round picks. If he did I wouldn't complain but I don't see it happening.

Yeah, the 2 2nds seem to be the best trade scenario. Especially since a QB in a similiar situation recently went for that.

I am not sold on Reid wanting to keep Kolb though.
I think 2 2nds would be just what he needs to address his situation and make a run with McNabb.

WARHORSE
02-12-2010, 03:24 PM
We need another QB, thats for sure. I think Kolb is worth a 2nd, maybe a little more. He is still unproven.

But I still think with a power running game, Orton will suffice to run the offense. I also believe he will play better this coming year in year two.

Save the picks for linemen.

TXBRONC
02-12-2010, 03:34 PM
We need another QB, thats for sure. I think Kolb is worth a 2nd, maybe a little more. He is still unproven.

But I still think with a power running game, Orton will suffice to run the offense. I also believe he will play better this coming year in year two.

Save the picks for linemen.

True Kolb is still unproven, but he does have some actual game experience which more we would have any kid we could draft. Nevertheless I think Reid drafted Kolb to be McNabb's eventual successor so I don't see Kolb coming to the Broncos.

Nomad
02-12-2010, 03:40 PM
The only QB from the Eagles going anywhere will be Vick and they will get good draft picks out of it and many sports ppundits believe it to be the Rams bidding hard. If Kolb is that good and McNabb is still able to play, the Eagles will utilize McNabb a couple more years and develop Kolb.

SOCALORADO.
02-12-2010, 04:08 PM
Eagles deny Kolb has been offered contract extension
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 12, 2010 3:43 PM ET
The Eagles are denying a report from a former Philadelphia Eagle-turned-radio host and general rabble rouser Garry Cobb that they have offered quarterback Kevin Kolb a contract extension. Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer got the denial.

A contract extension for Kolb now while he's cheap has some logic to it, but this line from Cobb's report caused us to pause.

"I don't know whether Reid is on board with or aware of the move or not," Cobb writes.

Maybe it's a throwaway line, but it's one that serves to discredit the rest of his article. Who does he think is making the decisions?

The Eagles say the report is "completely 100 percent false" which means an extension isn't around the corner.

Philadelphia has self-interest in keeping any talks quiet, of course, because of Donovan McNabb. But we're inclined to believe the Eagles here, with no other media in the vast and well-connected Philadelphia sports scene backing up Cobb's report.