View Full Version : ESPN Todd Mcshay Mock 2/10/10

JONtheBRONCO
02-10-2010, 06:20 PM
O-line and D-line take over top 10
Updated top 10 includes only one skill player and one defensive back

By Todd McShay
ESPN.com
Archive
Much has been made of the strength of the 2010 defensive tackle class, and the fact that the first two picks in Scouts Inc.'s latest first-round projection are defensive tackles is no surprise.

However, the offensive tackles are coming on strong, and we now project four offensive tackles to come off the board in the first eight picks. Add a pair of defensive ends to the players mentioned above, and you have eight linemen among the first 10 picks.

That leaves little room at the top for skill players and defensive backs, and some of the biggest names on our board have slipped significantly in our latest projection.

Here's how we see things shaking out now that the college all-star games are over and prospects are preparing for the upcoming NFL combine.

St. Louis Rams 1-15
Gerald McCoy*, DT, Oklahoma
The Rams have a poor track record when it comes to drafting defensive linemen early, and now they have a tough choice to make between the stronger, more instinctive Ndamukong Suh and the quicker, more disruptive McCoy. Coach Steve Spagnuolo is looking for defensive linemen who can penetrate, which is why we think McCoy could be the top overall pick.

Detroit Lions 2-14
Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
The Lions will gladly take Suh here. He won't provide the pass-rush production of McCoy, but he is a force versus the run and he consistently disrupts passing windows thanks to his excellent instincts and long arms.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 3-13
Jason Pierre-Paul*, DE, South Florida
The Bucs will consider Tennessee S Eric Berry here, but they are in dire need of a speed rusher and Pierre-Paul is the most explosive one this draft class has to offer.

Washington Redskins 4-12
Anthony Davis*, OT, Rutgers
Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford has enough physical and mental tools to develop into a good NFL starter eventually. However, he also enters the league with enough question marks (shoulder injury, spread offensive system, etc.) for a team like the Redskins to pass and fill one of several other holes. Solidifying its offensive line should be Washington's top priority, and Davis is the most naturally gifted tackle in this year's deep group. Two other options at tackle are Russell Okung (Oklahoma State) and Bryan Bulaga (Iowa).

Kansas City Chiefs 4-12
Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
Berry could make a huge impact in the Chiefs' secondary as well, but Kansas City has too much work still to do at core positions to spend No. 5 money on a safety. The offensive line needs to be solidified, and that could happen by bringing in Okung, who has a quick first step, good power and a mean streak.

Seattle Seahawks 5-11
Bryan Bulaga*, OT, Iowa
Look for Seattle to pass on a quarterback in the top 10 for the second straight year. Finding a replacement for Walter Jones at left tackle is the more immediate need, and the team will get a safer prospect there than at quarterback. Bulaga still has room to improve in pass protection, but he displays the feet and balance to develop into a very good overall starting left tackle in the NFL.

Cleveland Browns 5-11
Eric Berry*, S, Tennessee
Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant will be tough to pass up here, but the Browns did spend a pair of second-round picks on WRs Brian Robiskie and Mohamed Massaquoi last year. Berry has the talent and experience to make the kind of impact for the Browns that perennial Pro Bowler Ed Reed made for the Ravens early in his career.

Oakland Raiders 5-11
Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma
Considering the team has used high draft picks on a quarterback (JaMarcus Russell), running back (Darren McFadden) and wide receiver (Darrius Heyward-Bey) in recent years, it would make sense to shift the focus to the offensive line this April. Both of the Raiders' starting offensive tackles (Mario Henderson and Cornell Green) are below average, and Williams has the physical tools and toughness to provide an upgrade at one of those two spots immediately.

Buffalo Bills: 6-11
Sam Bradford*, QB, Oklahoma
Offensive tackle and quarterback are chief among the Bills' needs, and they should draft a tackle if Davis, Okung or Bulaga is available. This scenario has them selecting the top quarterback prospect in the 2010 class, though. Bradford is a bit of a project because of his slight frame and the spread system he played in at Oklahoma, but he has the football intelligence and accuracy to be molded into a good starter in the NFL.

Jacksonville Jaguars**: 7-9
Derrick Morgan*, DE, Georgia Tech
Morgan will not wow scouts with his results at the combine, but he is a high-motor, technically sound player who can pressure the quarterback and set the edge against the run. He has the physical tools to develop into a good every-down starter at the next level.

Denver Broncos** (from 7-9 Chicago)
Dez Bryant*, WR, Oklahoma State
Denver still has needs along its offensive and defensive fronts as well as in the secondary, but it will be tough to pass on the clear-cut No. 1 wideout in this year's class should Bryant fall to the Broncos.

Miami Dolphins: 7-9
Rolando McClain*, ILB, Alabama
Bryant falling to No. 12 would be a dream scenario for the Dolphins, but if he is off the board, look for Miami to target a top talent in the defensive front seven. McClain is NFL-ready with the size, straight-line speed and work ethic to win a starting inside linebacker job immediately.

San Francisco 49ers 8-8
Joe Haden*, CB, Florida
The 49ers could go in several directions with this pick, including quarterback, offensive line or a pass-rusher, but they wouldn't go wrong taking a top-10 skill player like Haden at this spot.

Seattle Seahawks (from 8-8 Denver) 5-11
C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen might be a possibility here, but we do not believe he's worthy of a first-round selection. After finding a left tackle at No. 6, it would make sense for the Seahawks to use this pick on a difference-maker like Spiller. Running backs generally are not worth drafting this high, but Spiller has additional value due to his home run ability as a receiver and return man.

New York Giants: 8-8
Brian Price*, DT, UCLA
The Giants need to retool the middle of their defense, and Price would be a good player to start with. He possesses the quickness and power to develop into a disruptive playmaker who can get into opposing backfields.

San Francisco** (from 8-8 Carolina): 8-8
Mike Iupati, OT/G, Idaho
Iupati is a fast-rising guard/right tackle prospect who is strong and nasty and would fit in nicely with coach Mike Singletary's hard-nosed brand of football.

Tennessee Titans**: 8-8
Carlos Dunlap*, DE, Florida
Dunlap is a bit immature and there are questions about his work ethic, but he also possesses a rare combination of size and athleticism for a defensive end. The Titans have enough veteran leadership on that side of the ball to pull the trigger here on a developmental project like Dunlap.

Pittsburgh Steelers 9-7
Dan Williams, NT, Tennessee
The Steelers would like to use this pick on a top offensive line prospect like Iupati or Trent Williams, but with both off the board, they will avoid reaching for another offensive lineman. They also will avoid stretching for a tackle like Maryland's Bruce Campbell to go for value with Dan Williams, who has the size and strength to develop into the eventual replacement for NT Casey Hampton, who is set to become a free agent.

Atlanta Falcons** 9-7
Kareem Jackson*, CB, Alabama
The Falcons need to improve their secondary talent after getting shredded through the air this past season. Jackson is one of the most underrated prospects in the 2010 class, and has the size, agility and balance to hold up in bump-and-run coverage on the perimeter. Plus, Jackson's instincts and technique are outstanding, so he should be ready to play as a rookie despite leaving school a year early.

Houston Texans**: 9-7
Earl Thomas*, S, Texas
Thomas is undersized but physical enough to play safety in the NFL if used properly. Regardless, he's one of the three most talented defensive backs in the 2010 class, and the Texans could use an upgrade at both free safety and cornerback, so Thomas is a fit no matter where he ends up playing.

Cincinnati Bengals:10-6
Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma
The Bengals are likely to use an early-round selection on a tight end, and while Gresham is a risk due to knee injuries (torn left ACL in high school, season-ending cartilage damage to right knee in 2009), his combination of size and athleticism is rare and he can stretch the seam effectively.

New England Patriots: 10-6
Brandon Graham, OLB, Michigan
Graham is a bit undersized to play a traditional defensive end role, and he does not have the ideal athleticism you want in an outside linebacker. If used properly, though, Graham can excel in the NFL, and he appears to be in Bill Belichick's wheelhouse with his nonstop motor, excellent technique and good overall football intelligence.

Green Bay Packers: 11-5
Bruce Campbell*, OT, Maryland
Campbell will turn some heads with his performance at the combine. However, while he might have the best combination of physical tools in this year's offensive tackle class, we expect Campbell to slip to the bottom half of the first round due to injury concerns and below-average technique.

Philadelphia Eagles: 11-5
Taylor Mays, S, USC
The Eagles need a replacement for the physical presence former defensive leader Brian Dawkins took with him when he left for Denver. Mays is a bit of a liability in deep coverage and he needs to learn to wrap up more consistently as a tackler, but it is hard to imagine a player with his combination of size, straight-line speed and explosive hitting falling out of the first round.

Baltimore RavensRecord: 9-7
Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State
Wilson is a fast-rising prospect after showcasing his upper-echelon bump-and-run coverage skills at the Senior Bowl. A cornerback-needy team like the Ravens could easily pull the trigger on Wilson late in the first round.

Arizona Cardinals 10-6
Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas
Kindle is a bit overrated, but we do think he is worth a pick at this point in the first round. The Cardinals could put him to work as a situational edge rusher early in his career while he works on getting bigger and stronger in order to hold up better versus the run.

Dallas Cowboys:11-5
Nate Allen, S, South Florida
Allen is far from a first-round lock, but the Cowboys need to improve their athleticism at safety, and Allen has the right combination of speed and fluidity in coverage to help fix the problem.

San Diego Chargers:13-3
Jahvid Best*, RB, California
Best's draft stock could take a big hit depending on how the medical reports (back/neck, concussion) from the combine look. Assuming he checks out, Best likely will be high on the Chargers' board, along with Dan Williams, fellow RBs Ryan Mathews (Fresno State) and Jonathan Dwyer (Georgia Tech), and DT/DE Jared Odrick (Penn State). A healthy Best gets the nod thanks to his game-breaking speed.

New York Jets: 9-7
Arrelious Benn*, WR, Illinois
The Jets need perimeter weapons for QB Mark Sanchez to throw to, and Benn is a better prospect than his 2009 production might indicate. He played through a nagging ankle injury and his quarterback was inconsistent, but Benn shows good initial burst and the ability to generate yards after the catch. Still, he needs to be more consistent catching the ball away from his body and must become a more savvy route runner.

Minnesota Vikings: 12-4
Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State
The Vikings have proved they will take the best player available on the board, and in this scenario, Odrick fits the bill and would be groomed as an eventual replacement for aging DT Pat Williams. Other possibilities include Clausen, ILB Brandon Spikes (Florida), TE Anthony McCoy (USC) and C/G Maurkice Pouncey (Florida).

Indianapolis Colts 14-2
Maurkice Pouncey*, OL, Florida
Odrick would make sense if he was still on the board, or the Colts could reach for an athletic offensive tackle like USC's Charles Brown. But Pouncey is a gifted interior lineman with the quick feet, versatility and football intelligence to help the Colts solidify their interior offensive line.

New Orleans Saints: 13-3
Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Missouri
Weatherspoon is expected to turn some heads at the combine with his speed, and we're hearing that some teams grade him out as a mid-first-round pick. We're not quite as high on Weatherspoon because we question his ability to play in space, but the Super Bowl champs are expected to focus on upgrading the speed and athleticism of their defense, and Weatherspoon fits the mold.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-10-2010, 07:43 PM
The only possible way I see us drafting Dez Bryant is if we do trade away Marshall. Even then, it's a stretch. Even without Marshall, WR just isn't a big need for this team. Not running a dink and dunk and screen offense.

Ziggy
02-10-2010, 08:56 PM
The only possible way I see us drafting Dez Bryant is if we do trade away Marshall. Even then, it's a stretch. Even without Marshall, WR just isn't a big need for this team. Not running a dink and dunk and screen offense.

We don't know whether the dink and dunk is a choice, or all that this team can try with a poor interior line. When the Oline and talent is improved, we'll find out what kind of offense McD will be running. When he had the talent in New England in 2007, he ran arguably the most explosive offense in the history of the NFL.

rcsodak
02-11-2010, 12:33 AM
Iupati
Williams
McClain

I'd hope they go with one of these guys over an offensive skill position. Especially one who was suspended from the NCAA for almost half the season.

ikillz0mbies
02-11-2010, 01:05 AM
Iupati
Williams
McClain

I'd hope they go with one of these guys over an offensive skill position. Especially one who was suspended from the NCAA for almost half the season.

It's not like Bryant has any character issues. But I do hope they don't draft him. There are more pressing needs than Bryant. I do agree with the players you have suggested though. Williams stock has been soaring as of late. I've been looking at a few mock drafts and a majority of them have the Broncos taking Bryant.

Dirk
02-11-2010, 06:29 AM
It's not like Bryant has any character issues. But I do hope they don't draft him. There are more pressing needs than Bryant. I do agree with the players you have suggested though. Williams stock has been soaring as of late. I've been looking at a few mock drafts and a majority of them have the Broncos taking Bryant.

I think that's because a lot of the "experts" think Marshall won't be in Denver next year.

If Denver gives BMarsh some money, the mock drafts will switch for Denver.

CoachChaz
02-12-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm just happy to finally see someone that agrees with me that STL would take McCoy over Suh

arapaho2
02-12-2010, 12:33 PM
We don't know whether the dink and dunk is a choice, or all that this team can try with a poor interior line. When the Oline and talent is improved, we'll find out what kind of offense McD will be running. When he had the talent in New England in 2007, he ran arguably the most explosive offense in the history of the NFL.

the same interior line that was part of one of the best pass rushing groups ever seen in 08..was it a mere 12 sacks given up?

aron rodger was sacked 50 times...still put up 4434....277pg...30 tds..103.

bigben was sacked 50 times..still put 4328 yrd..288pg..26 td..100.qbr

rome was sacked 34 times..still had 4483yrds...26 tds...97.6qbr

and yet they were all well above ortons 7.0 yards per attempt with a worse oline???

CoachChaz
02-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Here we go again

:rollseyes:

arapaho2
02-12-2010, 12:50 PM
Here we go again

:rollseyes:

dont fear the truth coach...no sir.. dont be scared

Lonestar
02-12-2010, 01:43 PM
And each of those QB's are also not new to a total new scheme nor did their running games get tackled in the backfield like ours did.

IIRC each of them were also surrounded by players that were comfortable in the scheme after playing in it for several years.

Give it a rest folks Orton may never be a top five QB but he is not going to give the ball back to the defense and place them on the field in poor positions to defend.

FWIW IF Josh feels it necessary to find a new QB to replace him I'm fine with that.

But I believe that he thinks Orton is his long term solution. If after talking with him during the next few months until the draft he gets bad vibes then he might draft another somewhere in the draft. He may do that anyway to backup Brandy as #3. As I think he knows that simms is not the long term answer now.
To those of you that hate Orton time to get the valuim prescriptions refilled as he will be our starter next year UNless of course someone snags him for a higher offer and we decline to match the offer. I would indeed take a 1 and 3 for him or any of our RFA's.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

TXBRONC
02-12-2010, 01:58 PM
And each of those QB's are also not new to a total new scheme nor did their running games get tackled in the backfield like ours did.

IIRC each of them were also surrounded by players that were comfortable in the scheme after playing in it for several years.

Give it a rest folks Orton may never be a top five QB but he is not going to give the ball back to the defense and place them on the field in poor positions to defend.

FWIW IF Josh feels it necessary to find a new QB to replace him I'm fine with that.

But I believe that he thinks Orton is his long term solution. If after talking with him during the next few months until the draft he gets bad vibes then he might draft another somewhere in the draft. He may do that anyway to backup Brandy as #3. As I think he knows that simms is not the long term answer now.
To those of you that hate Orton time to get the valuim prescriptions refilled as he will be our starter next year UNless of course someone snags him for a higher offer and we decline to match the offer. I would indeed take a 1 and 3 for him or any of our RFA's.

Maybe you didn't watch the games against the Chiefs or maybe you forgot. At Arrowhead he fumbled the ball twice on Denver's side of the 50. And if I'm not mistaken one those inside the 5. It usually best to make grandiose statement that are easy to poke holes in.

So instead telling people to get a Valium maybe you should consider getting off of the medical marijuana.

UnderArmour
02-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Even if we re-sign Marshall, we should take the best player available. If Dez Bryant is there, he is the best player available or at least it's a toss up between him and McClain. After years of Shanahan, I'm tired of passing up on the Ed Reeds and even Michael Griffin for lackluster players at "positions of need." We have plenty of depth, but Stokely isn't getting any younger and Jabar Gaffney isn't this big play HOF wide receiver.

Lonestar
02-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Sorry but those fumbles were an aboration not common place like we seemed to have the past few years.

Good try but that was a fumblerooski at best. :laugh:

Just to set the record straight the glocoma is not quite at that level yet. Had one puff back in 1979 or so and decided it was not for me then.

Maybe once I'm almost blind I may cahnge my mind but I doubt it.

TXBRONC
02-12-2010, 02:21 PM
Even if we re-sign Marshall, we should take the best player available. If Dez Bryant is there, he is the best player available or at least it's a toss up between him and McClain. After years of Shanahan, I'm tired of passing up on the Ed Reeds and even Michael Griffin for lackluster players at "positions of need." We have plenty of depth, but Stokely isn't getting any younger and Jabar Gaffney isn't this big play HOF wide receiver.

I would still rather Denver take Terrance Cody, Mike Iupati, or Dan Williams.

Nomad
02-12-2010, 02:23 PM

I still don't get the 'hard on' everyone has for Bryant!! If anything I'd take those guys or McClain over Bryant!!

silkamilkamonico
02-12-2010, 02:52 PM
I still don't get the 'hard on' everyone has for Bryant!! If anything I'd take those guys or McClain over Bryant!!

I would too. Whomever drafts Bryant though, is going to be given a prototypical WR with the skillset of being a Pro Bowler for years to come. There isn't anything he doesn't do well, and he's built more along the lines of an Andre Johnson.

We really need to shore up our lines though.

TXBRONC
02-12-2010, 03:09 PM
Sorry but those fumbles were an aboration not common place like we seemed to have the past few years.

Good try but that was a fumblerooski at best. :laugh:

Just to set the record straight the glocoma is not quite at that level yet. Had one puff back in 1979 or so and decided it was not for me then.

Maybe once I'm almost blind I may cahnge my mind but I doubt it.

You have singular wit about you but that's nothing new.

What we have quarterback that plays not to make mistakes which is tantamount to playing not lose.

I didn't know you have glaucoma, sorry to hear that.

CoachChaz
02-12-2010, 03:13 PM

I'll take Iupati. Dan Williams wont be the same player in the NFL. he may be a solid NT, but nothing great. Cody will be completely out fo the NFL in 5 years.

Even if we lose Marshall, I wouldnt take Bryant. He'll be a stud, but he wont get the ball unless we can run and pass protect. Draft Iupati and Pouncey, spend money on the DL thru FA, then if we need a receiver...I like Price and am really warming up to Mardy Gilyard

TXBRONC
02-12-2010, 03:22 PM

I know a lot guy think you should always take the best available player but I don't think necessarily always the wisest thing to do. If do that you conceivably never cover a real need and end up no better off.

T.K.O.
02-12-2010, 03:39 PM
not to mention dez might pull a crabtree and we could end up paying twice what we would have to pay marshall,or have another unhappy "training" camper.

Nomad
02-12-2010, 03:42 PM
not to mention dez might pull a crabtree and we could end up paying twice what we would have to pay marshall,or have another unhappy "training" camper.

I paint all WOs with the same brush until proven otherwise!!

TXBRONC
02-12-2010, 03:49 PM
I paint all WOs with the same brush until proven otherwise!!

I think we're better off if we don't have to draft another wide receiver at least not early in the draft. If we take care of the offensive and defensive lines imho everything else will fall into place.

Nomad
02-12-2010, 03:53 PM
I think we're better off if we don't have to draft another wide receiver at least not early in the draft. If we take care of the offensive and defensive lines imho everything else will fall into place.

I believe that's what many of us want to see and have been advocating since the end of the season!

T.K.O.
02-12-2010, 03:55 PM
if this mock holds up ,that makes jimmy clausen available in the 2-3rd rnd.
would anyone think it would be "brilliant" for us to grab him in say....the 2nd rnd?
that would give us our top pick for d-line and probably our 3rd and 4th for o'line:confused:

TXBRONC
02-12-2010, 04:05 PM
would anyone think it would be "brilliant" for us to grab him in say....the 2nd rnd?
that would give us our top pick for d-line and probably our 3rd and 4th for o'line:confused:

If this Mock were to hold up (realistically there aint no way it will) that would mean we've drafted Dez Bryant. If we then draft Clausen in that means we have offensive skill positions players with our first day picks.

T.K.O.
02-12-2010, 04:50 PM
If this Mock were hold up (realistically there aint no way it will) that would mean we've drafted Dez Bryant. If we then draft Clausen in that means we have offensive skill positions players with our first day picks.

well i know the mock wont be exact ,but it does seem clausen will be available with our 2nd and if we didnt take dez another team would,freeing up another ot,dt for later and we would still use our 1st for a guy like igottapoti :D

TXBRONC
02-12-2010, 06:20 PM
well i know the mock wont be exact ,but it does seem clausen will be available with our 2nd and if we didnt take dez another team would,freeing up another ot,dt for later and we would still use our 1st for a guy like igottapoti :D

My hope is that McDaniels will use the early picks on the lines. Plenty of guys on this board have said that this quarterback class is pretty weak. If McDaniels feels quarterback class is that weak then I wouldn't think he would take one especially early.

underrated29
02-12-2010, 06:23 PM

He has no business making it to pick 10, let alone round 2. If he ever fell into round 2, that is a no brainer, no call, just submit the choice.

But it will never ever happen. Ever. Go Line in the early rounds Skelton in the mid for our qb and the rest is gravy.

gobroncsnv
02-12-2010, 07:22 PM
Getting DOG-TIRED of "serviceable" dlinemen... if we don't make a major splash in that area this off-season, then McD won't impress me any more than Shanny did on this. And to me, that was Shanny's downfall. Ignore the dline to your peril, coaches. Shanny seems to have learned his lesson, he went to the team that has Haynesworth.

rcsodak
02-12-2010, 07:27 PM
the same interior line that was part of one of the best pass rushing groups ever seen in 08..was it a mere 12 sacks given up?

aron rodger was sacked 50 times...still put up 4434....277pg...30 tds..103.

bigben was sacked 50 times..still put 4328 yrd..288pg..26 td..100.qbr

rome was sacked 34 times..still had 4483yrds...26 tds...97.6qbr

and yet they were all well above ortons 7.0 yards per attempt with a worse oline???

Why is it that only a few people just can't let it sink in, that a new QB/HC/OC/RB/BLOCKING SCHEME is going to have some growing pains?

:confused:

TXBRONC
02-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Getting DOG-TIRED of "serviceable" dlinemen... if we don't make a major splash in that area this off-season, then McD won't impress me any more than Shanny did on this. And to me, that was Shanny's downfall. Ignore the dline to your peril, coaches. Shanny seems to have learned his lesson, he went to the team that has Haynesworth.

Serviceable defensive lineman have are important but if going have a top flight defense then we're going to have to improve the quality of the defensive line. Some people have criticized Dumervil for not getting more tackles well maybe if we had bigger and better defensive linemen that could tie up blocker maybe his production would go up.

Shanahan did try to fix the defensive line, the problem was that it was the wrong approach.

gobroncsnv
02-12-2010, 07:46 PM
Agree, serviceable has it's place, just not the best quality I want to describe our starters. We bypassed a lot of good dlinemen over the past, now 10, years, and let a few get away. Just HATE when that happens.

Superchop 7
02-12-2010, 09:56 PM
I wouldn't even think twice about picking up Clausen in the first round. (No way in hell this kid slides to round 2)

Disagree on Williams and Cody, they will be very good.

Picks 20-40 are going to have some serious talent available this year.

You could pull off a Spikes "and" a Cody in Rd 2. (Wheeling dealing)

Had a feeling McCoy would shoot up there. (Would have made a helluva DE for Broncos)

atwater27
02-12-2010, 10:12 PM

Funny. That sounds like Cutler. Bet you wouldn't defend him like Orton.

TXBRONC
02-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Funny. That sounds like Cutler. Bet you wouldn't defend him like Orton.

Nail meet hammer.

atwater27
02-12-2010, 10:19 PM
If we drafted Dez Bryant in the 1st I will seriously consider hiring an assassin.

TXBRONC
02-12-2010, 10:23 PM
If we drafted Dez Bryant in the 1st I will seriously consider hiring an assassin.

At this point I don't think you'll have to waste the capital on an assassin but you never know. :D

broncofanatic1987
02-13-2010, 04:51 PM
The Broncos need to take Dan Williams in the first. The defensive line is too important for them to ignore in the first unless they sign a FA NT before the draft.

I won't complain if they take Dez Bryant though. Talent is talent after all.

Northman
02-13-2010, 04:57 PM

I agree, its almost a given we need some serious help on the Oline. Especially if we are going away from the ZBS.

Northman
02-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Maybe you didn't watch the games against the Chiefs or maybe you forgot. At Arrowhead he fumbled the ball twice on Denver's side of the 50. And if I'm not mistaken one those inside the 5. It usually best to make grandiose statement that are easy to poke holes in.

So instead telling people to get a Valium maybe you should consider getting off of the medical marijuana.

As much as i dont want to agree with you i almost have too. If Nolan is going to get grief regarding the collapse of the defense in the second half of the season than so should Kyle. In the first 6 games Kyle had a TD/INT ratio of 9-1 with the 1 being the Randy Moss pick on the hail mary. But, in the final 10 games his ratio was 12/11. You just cant use the "new scheme" excuse whenever you think it fits your arguement. It isnt like the guys just woke up after the bye week and forgot all they had learned. Sure, there were a few different problems beside Kyle but to simply wipe it away as if the guy isnt to blame for his turnovers is silly.

Northman
02-13-2010, 05:17 PM

Wide recievers are risky in the draft. Almost more than QB's are. Dez might have a lot of buzz around him but i can name a lot of recievers just like that who failed miserably.

Hoser
02-14-2010, 01:48 AM
Not gonna lie, this mock is bad. Very bad.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-15-2010, 06:13 PM

My rates are very reasonable.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Wide recievers are risky in the draft. Almost more than QB's are. Dez might have a lot of buzz around him but i can name a lot of recievers just like that who failed miserably.

I respectfully disagree. Now I concur that a LOT of round 1 WRs have been busts. But how many of the "sure thing" prospects have been huge disappointments? I can name a certain USC Trojan WR who many on the FREAK were willing to trade our whole draft for. I still say Charles Rogers was a victim of injuries. Otherwise, most of the sure things have been gold. Fitzgerald, Moss, Calvin, Andre Johnson, etc. ALL lived up to the hype. Hell, even Roy Williams was a massive stud for a while. The busts have been those 1st round guys who never belonged in the first place whose hype came very late...workout warriors if you will. The Jags took 2 of em. Minnesota took a real speedy guy from So Carolina. And there are many more examples.

Lonestar
02-15-2010, 06:38 PM
I respectfully disagree. Now I concur that a LOT of round 1 WRs have been busts. But how many of the "sure thing" prospects have been huge disappointments? I can name a certain USC Trojan WR who many on the FREAK were willing to trade our whole draft for. I still say Charles Rogers was a victim of injuries. Otherwise, most of the sure things have been gold. Fitzgerald, Moss, Calvin, Andre Johnson, etc. ALL lived up to the hype. Hell, even Roy Williams was a massive stud for a while. The busts have been those 1st round guys who never belonged in the first place whose hype came very late...workout warriors if you will. The Jags took 2 of em. Minnesota took a real speedy guy from So Carolina. And there are many more examples.

Even if you are correct and (IMHO I'd never draft another WR again). How long is it going to take till they are worth a crap?

When I was on ashelys case everyone was stating that WR's took 3 to 4 years to be great WR's.

SO which is it instant stud or a 3 year wonder?

SmilinAssasSin27
02-15-2010, 06:48 PM
Nowadays it's impossible to tell. Calvin, Fitz, etc were immediate studs. Braylon is up and down pening on his supporting cast and Roddy White and Meachem seemed to follow the "3 year rule". But it does seem that more and more, the studs are ready to contribute now. Look at last year. Harvin, Maclin and Crabtree all were huge contributors...and Crab took 1/2 the year off.

Besides...we're kidding ourselves if we think we're SB ready in 2010.

Lonestar
02-15-2010, 08:44 PM
Like you said it is real hit a miss. Look at Royale rookie year all world and nada last year. Was it because it was more throwing the ball then it was the new scheme and QB to much to overcome.

Did Orton spend to much time getting to know the big stud to have any left for Eddie. I don't know I suspect it will be something that is worked on for 2010.

As for us not being playiff ready if things come together on the LOS we are real close IMHO.

We would need SAN help cause they are loaded with talent.

But it could work out.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

TXBRONC
02-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Nowadays it's impossible to tell. Calvin, Fitz, etc were immediate studs. Braylon is up and down pening on his supporting cast and Roddy White and Meachem seemed to follow the "3 year rule". But it does seem that more and more, the studs are ready to contribute now. Look at last year. Harvin, Maclin and Crabtree all were huge contributors...and Crab took 1/2 the year off.

Besides...we're kidding ourselves if we think we're SB ready in 2010.

I disagree with more and more receiver are ready to produce right out of college. Calvin Johnson has had two ordinary seasons sandwiched inbetween one really good season. Fitzgerald's first season as far as receptions and yards was rather ordinary as was Maclin's this year. As mentioned White has finally come on as stud receiver. Meachem has made huge improvements but he's by no means the center piece of the Saints passing attack and his numbers are still rather ordinary. Havrin receiving numbers were not eye popping but he does a lot of other things. What Crabtree did all things considered is pretty good. But look at their touchdown production and they end up two or three. Of the guys you mentioned only Fitzgerald and Harvin had more than just two or three, Fitzgerald had 8 and Harvin had 6. Royal had a big rookie season better than any of receivers have been mentioned previously but he slumped this year. Personally I don't think his slump was do to drop his play but nevertheless his numbers tailed off in big way.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-17-2010, 08:44 AM
My point is that these guys aren't considered busts and they were all at or near the top of their respective classes. It's the guys who come out of nowhere and are drafted early who make the overall crops look worse than they really are. Heyward-Bey is one example. Royal is not on that list and Calvin has had TERRIBLE QB play. We could go round and round about these guys' production, but as a football fan, I can see that those "studs" have been far from busts. Thus, I don't feel taking Dez Bryant is that big of a risk.

TXBRONC
02-18-2010, 07:30 AM
My point is that these guys aren't considered busts and they were all at or near the top of their respective classes. It's the guys who come out of nowhere and are drafted early who make the overall crops look worse than they really are. Heyward-Bey is one example. Royal is not on that list and Calvin has had TERRIBLE QB play. We could go round and round about these guys' production, but as a football fan, I can see that those "studs" have been far from busts. Thus, I don't feel taking Dez Bryant is that big of a risk.

From what I've seen of Bryant he is a big risk.

Dirk
02-18-2010, 07:34 AM
OMG...the drama would be thick if we drafted Dez and BMarsh is still on the team. LOL

SmilinAssasSin27
02-18-2010, 10:50 PM
From what I've seen of Bryant he is a big risk.

What have you seen that makes him a risk? A bullshit suspension from the "ultimate power"? 20 bucks says that kid was never given the opportunity to have representation when he was attacked by the big, bad NCAA. He had no idea how he should have answered thos questions. Damned if he did. Damned if he didn't. This kid isn't a problem. He just got boned by the dictatorship that is the NCAA.

TXBRONC
02-19-2010, 02:58 PM
What have you seen that makes him a risk? A bullshit suspension from the "ultimate power"? 20 bucks says that kid was never given the opportunity to have representation when he was attacked by the big, bad NCAA. He had no idea how he should have answered thos questions. Damned if he did. Damned if he didn't. This kid isn't a problem. He just got boned by the dictatorship that is the NCAA.

I'm talking about what I have seen from him on the field. He doesn't get separation from defensive backs. Defensive backs seemed to get draped all over him. If he can't learn to create separation I think he will struggle.

As far as the NCAA thing is concerned I'm not worried about that. NCAA gets somethings right but many times they make mountains out of thin air.

CoachChaz
02-19-2010, 03:12 PM
I'm talking about what I have seen from him on the field. He doesn't get separation from defensive backs. Defensive backs seemed to get draped all over him. If he can't learn to create separation I think he will struggle.

As far as the NCAA thing is concerned I'm not worried about that. NCAA gets somethings right but many times they make mountains out of thin air.

And yet, as the only true threat, a mediocre Zac Robinson was able to find him 147 times for 2425 yards and 29 TD's...in only 28 college game. Either Zac is a surgeon or Dez is a little better than we're giving him credit for.

I prefer not to draft him either, as we have more pressing needs...but I'm not going to deny the talent