PDA

View Full Version : Foxy's agents says Foxy likes the Jets.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-09-2008, 02:37 PM
T-Rock's Take: Inside the Jets
Breaking news, commentary and insider information on the New York Jets
http://blogs.trb.com/sports/football/jets/blog/2008/03/two_birds.html

Two birds?
If the Jets are looking to bolster their cornerback position and get rid of Dewayne Robertson, they might be able to do both in one shot.

In an interview with Newsday's Alex Labidou, the agent for Domonique Foxworth of the Broncos says that his client would be interested in playing for the Jets. Foxworth is a restricted free agent with the Broncos, a team that is known to be in the market for a defensive lineman. Like, say, Robertson.

There aren't any current talks between the teams, Jim Ivler said, but it's possible that as Robertson's $3 million roster bonus deadline gets closer and Foxworth's frustration with his role in Denver increases, the teams could find a way to swap headaches.

Posted by Tom Rock on March 8, 2008 4:59 PM | Permalink

yardog
03-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Do it.

turftoad
03-09-2008, 02:44 PM
The Bungles got Robertson for a 3rd and a 5th. The trade didn't go down because Robertson wouldn't re do his contract.
So..... We should be able to get Robertson for Foxy (3rd round tender) and a 4th.

The only hold up would be Robertsons willingness to re do his contract.

I'd be all for this if it can be worked out.

Then again, just because Foxworth likes the Jets means nothing.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-09-2008, 02:47 PM
I agree his desires mean little, but my guess is that he still goes before the season starts. Why not for a DT?

Buff
03-09-2008, 02:47 PM
Well, Foxworth isn't exactly a headache, and he's a decent #3 corner... But I like the move in principle because i think he and paymah are interchangeable and we need a DT in the worst way... I believe Robertson's knee is in worse shape than people think and he's scheduled to make a boatload of cash... I'd rather take our chances on someone with a healthy knee, or keep Foxy for depth this year.

gobroncsnv
03-09-2008, 03:02 PM
If there are question marks about Robertson's health, I say we move on. We've had enough question marks play DT for us the past few seasons. It just doesn't work. We gotta solve this before we make any meaningful moves up in the standings.

shank
03-09-2008, 03:19 PM
swap em straight up

dogfish
03-09-2008, 03:59 PM
Well, Foxworth isn't exactly a headache, and he's a decent #3 corner... But I like the move in principle because i think he and paymah are interchangeable and we need a DT in the worst way... I believe Robertson's knee is in worse shape than people think and he's scheduled to make a boatload of cash... I'd rather take our chances on someone with a healthy knee, or keep Foxy for depth this year.

those are pretty much the sticking points. . . IF we were going to do a trade, we'd have to have our medical staff take a close look at him, for starters. . . IF the knee doesn't look degenerative, we could even bring him in and let him play this year on his original contract (assuming we can fit it under the cap, which i don't know for sure) to see if he's healthy or not. . . bit of a risk, because if he is haelthy he hits the FA market next year, but OTOH it protects us in case he's not healthy. . . a risk either way, and it's not an ideal situation, but sometimes you have to take a chance to get a good DT (there are a few solid prospects that we might be able to get in the 2nd this year, but on the whole i'm really not impressed with this DT class beyond dorsey and ellis). . . it might be worth taking the chance rather than losing foxworth at the end of the year for nothing, because the potential payoff is very nice. . . IF anything happens between the two teams, it may not be until draft day-- they might want to wait and see if they can get a better offer, and we might want to wait and see if dorsey or ellis falls within our reach. . .

meh, hard to say. . . we'll see. . . .

lex
03-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Robertson makes too much money and with a health concern, it makes it easier to pass. If Robertson were to come down, Id still do it though. If Robertson is injured, he's just as valuable as Foxworth if Foxworth isnt seeing the field. Also, the depth at S makes Foxworth more expendable. Not to mention, we're going to get nothing out of him next year.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-09-2008, 04:51 PM
Robertson isn't a real health concern. He's played w/ the knee thing w/o needing surgery for a while now and has missed all of 5 games (and not necessarily due to the knee). The Bengals needed to tell something to their fans so they used the health card. Fact is, they wanted him, but he apparently didn't want them.

MHCBill
03-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Robertson isn't a real health concern. He's played w/ the knee thing w/o needing surgery for a while now and has missed all of 5 games (and not necessarily due to the knee). The Bengals needed to tell something to their fans so they used the health card. Fact is, they wanted him, but he apparently didn't want them.
SA27... couldn't agree more.

Robertson is healthy. He rarely misses a game. This whole "story" about his knee condition was a fairy-tale the Bungles created to make their fans happy.

Robertson for Foxy would be a great move.

Me-oh-my... if only we wouldn't have gotten rid of Warren. He was no pro-bowler, but he was a decent NFL DT. We would have a lot less problems.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Me-oh-my... if only we wouldn't have gotten rid of Warren. He was no pro-bowler, but he was a decent NFL DT. We would have a lot less problems.

That still angers me. I know he was getting paid, but I'm guessing we win 2-3 more games last year if he was still a Bronco.

MHCBill
03-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Robertson... played all 16 games in four out of the five seasons.

Averages over 50 tackles a season with 3.5 sacks.

He's 26, has two years left on his current deal, and never been a distractor to his team.

Go get him Sundquist.

TXBRONC
03-09-2008, 05:18 PM
I agree his desires mean little, but my guess is that he still goes before the season starts. Why not for a DT?

Yep it's nice that Foxworth likes the Jets but it means nothing unless the Broncos and the Jets get together and try and work out a trade.

TXBRONC
03-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Robertson... played all 16 games in four out of the five last seasons.

Averages over 50 tackles a season with 3.5 sacks.

He's 26, has two years left on his current deal, and never been a distractor to his team.

Go get him Sundquist.

I'm torn. I know Robertson has been solid but I'm not sure I like the idea of giving of only having one first day pick.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-09-2008, 05:23 PM
I'm torn. I know Robertson has been solid but I'm not sure I like the idea of giving of only having one first day pick.

I used to feel that way, but it's 6 of 1/half dozen of the other. What DT are we gonna get on the first day who is better than Robertson? The answer is nobody. Regradless, we can only fill 1 hole with 1 pick. And as cool as it is to get the new guy in and dream about his potential, it's not a bad move to bring in someone who has already established themself.

The Browns have ZERO day 1 pix...but Brady Quinn, Shaun Rogers and Corey Williams to show for it. Which would you rather have if you were a Brwons fan?

MHCBill
03-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Randy Starks - 24 yo. - two out of last four years played 16 games - avg. less than 35 tackles and 3.5 sacks

Marcus Stroud - 29 yo. - only played in all 16 games two times in his seven seasons - avg. 50 tackles and 4 sacks

Corey Williams - 27 yo. - two out of the last four years played 16 games - avg. 30 tackles and 4 sacks

Shaun Rogers - 28 yo. - played 16 games three times in seven seasons - avg. 50 tackles and 4.5 sacks

John Henderson - 29 yo. - played 16 games four times in seven seasons - avg. over 60 tackles and 4.5 sacks

Gerard Warren - 29 yo. - played 16 games two out of seven seasons - avg. less than 30 tackles and 4 sacks

GO GET ROBERTSON!!!!!!!!!!

TXBRONC
03-09-2008, 05:39 PM
I used to feel that way, but it's 6 of 1/half dozen of the other. What DT are we gonna get on the first day who is better than Robertson? The answer is nobody. Regardless, we can only fill 1 hole with 1 pick. And as cool as it is to get the new guy in and dream about his potential, it's not a bad move to bring in someone who has already established himself.

The Browns have ZERO day 1 pix...but Brady Quinn, Shaun Rogers and Corey Williams to show for it. Which would you rather have if you were a Browns fan?

I'll give you that he has been very consistent as a starter and he would definitely fill a need we desperately need to take of.

underrated29
03-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Heres the thing, both teams are not holding cards for thier players.

The jets- he doesnt fit their scheme well, and has a cap hit, I think someone said of like $10 or 11 mil this year. The jets are NOT going to pay that, there is no way. Word was that if he was not traded he would be cut.

Broncos- nique is a great player, but he isnt going to beat out champ or dre, and those two will be here for while so he is screwed. His only real PT with us was at saftey. Now that we got lynch back and manuel and mcree he isnt going to sniff any time there. Problem is he IS going to leave next year, he thinks he can start and will NOT want to return here for backup duty, and we arent going to pay it.

I think we trade player for player strait up. We know they will probably cut him so we dont need to give up #2. Same with them, they know we arent going to have him much longer and would rather get something in return.

Look for a trade to happen right before or during the draft. And maybe a pick swap in there too.

shank
03-09-2008, 07:00 PM

why would we only have 1 first day pick?

TXBRONC
03-09-2008, 08:10 PM

If I'm mistake we do have our compliment of first day picks. I think we were already missing a second rounders. So if we traded for Robertson which would cost a 3rd and 4th then we would only have our 1st round pick.

TXBRONC
03-09-2008, 08:18 PM

I thought we were lacking a 2nd round pick and if Robertson were to cost a 3rd and a 4th that would leave us with just our number one pick.

Anyway when asked your question of me and went to check into and apparently I was wrong in thinking that.

Edit: We do not have a 3rd round pick.

BroncoWave
03-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Do it.

Yes.

shank
03-09-2008, 08:43 PM
I thought we were lacking a 2nd round pick and if Robertson were to cost a 3rd and a 4th that would leave us with just our number one pick.

Anyway when asked your question of me and went to check into and apparently I was wrong in thinking that.

truth. we can get robertson and still have both first day picks. (p.s. the third round will be on day 2 from now on anyway ;))

TXBRONC
03-09-2008, 08:50 PM
truth. we can get robertson and still have both first day picks. (p.s. the third round will be on day 2 from now on anyway ;))

I heard the NFL was cutting down the clock time between picks but I hadn't heard that the 3rd round was being moved to the 2nd day. Interesting.

shank
03-10-2008, 12:52 AM
I heard the NFL was cutting down the clock time between picks but I hadn't heard that the 3rd round was being moved to the 2nd day. Interesting.

at first i thought it was lame, but then i realized we don't have a 3rd this year, so i get so sleep in a little on day 2! :D

Stargazer
03-10-2008, 02:15 AM
How about just send Foxy to NY for a pick.

Robertson is another story.

fcspikeit
03-10-2008, 02:31 AM
If I'm mistake we do have our compliment of first day picks. I think we were already missing a second rounders. So if we traded for Robertson which would cost a 3rd and 4th then we would only have our 1st round pick.

TX, the suggestion was giving them Foxworth and a 4th.. The Jets wanted a 3rd and 4th for Robertson.

turftoad said, "We should be able to get Robertson for Foxy (3rd round tender) and a 4th"

Beings Foxworth has a 3rd tender he was figuring that would count as the 3rd. We would still have both our first day picks' (1st & 2nd)

If they are going to cut him anyways, one would think they would take Foxworth alone. That would be better the nothing right?

I am a little worried about his knee, we all know his #'s are good and with the value of a true starting DT, why isn't someone coming up with the picks to trade for him? Either he wont rework his contract and that is scaring teams away or it's the knee...

Stargazer
03-10-2008, 02:44 AM
Why would Denver dish out big money for Robertson? Some of you are grasping for something big to happen. Robertson and his fatty contract is not coming to Denver.

shank
03-10-2008, 02:48 AM
Why would Denver dish out big money for Robertson? Some of you are grasping for something big to happen. Robertson and his fatty contract is not coming to Denver.

contracts can be renegotiated, and no matter where robertson is in 2008, his WILL be renegotiated...

Stargazer
03-10-2008, 02:54 AM
contracts can be renegotiated, and no matter where robertson is in 2008, his WILL be renegotiated...

What indication is Denver willing to pull the trigger on a big name player as we have seen this offseason? Robertson is going to cost bucks or draft picks whether he re-negotiate his contract or not. I haven't seen any indication from this front office to spend big bucks. Which would mean if Robertson is traded or cut, Denver isn't interested.

shank
03-10-2008, 03:33 AM
What indication is Denver willing to pull the trigger on a big name player as we have seen this offseason? Robertson is going to cost bucks or draft picks whether he re-negotiate his contract or not. I haven't seen any indication from this front office to spend big bucks. Which would mean if Robertson is traded or cut, Denver isn't interested.

make sure to forward me the mailing list you're gettin from shanahan about upcoming moves...

you're right that it probably won't happen, but it could, and we can still talk about how we think it should...

TXBRONC
03-10-2008, 07:09 AM

I would bet Star that if Robertson were cout Denver would jump on that quick and try to get him signed.

MHCBill
03-10-2008, 07:52 AM
Why would Denver dish out big money for Robertson? Some of you are grasping for something big to happen. Robertson and his fatty contract is not coming to Denver.And your alternative is?

Thomas and Mckinley???

BOSSHOGG30
03-10-2008, 08:15 AM
And your alternative is?

Thomas and Mckinley???

I'm ok with Thomas and McKinley, but we do need depth and it would be nice to upgrade from Mckinley if possible.

MHCBill
03-10-2008, 08:18 AM
Upgrade Mckinley... heck yea.

The dude had like 18 tackles last year.

I probably could get 10 guys to trip over me in a season.

BOSSHOGG30
03-10-2008, 08:21 AM
Upgrade Mckinley... heck yea.

The dude had like 18 tackles last year.

I probably could get 10 guys to trip over me in a season.

The scheme we use this year, should help the d-line out regardless of who we have in there. McKinley would be better as a back up, but I wouldn't be surprised if his numbers improved with the new scheme.

fcspikeit
03-10-2008, 08:23 AM

We were supposedly talking to the Jets about him before.. They had to know what his contract was going in to the talks then, that leads me to believe, they must of at least had a plan..

Either way, the interest was/is there...

nmbroncosfan
03-10-2008, 08:50 AM
I bet Foxworth isn't going anywhere and is a Bronco at the start of the season.

Bronco9798
03-10-2008, 08:53 AM

That's probably a pretty good assumption. He is a valuable back-up and can play when needed. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see Shanny throw in some trade during/before the draft that included Foxworth.

fcspikeit
03-10-2008, 09:01 AM

The only way this is true is if teams don't see him as we do... That could be the case.

From our stand point, any time you can trade a backup for a starter is a good thing.

Bronco9798
03-10-2008, 09:09 AM
The only way this is true is if teams don't see him as we do... That could be the case.

From our stand point, any time you can trade a backup for a starter is a good thing.

Depends on what you throw in with the back up as part of the deal.

fcspikeit
03-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Depends on what you throw in with the back up as part of the deal.

LOL. Your right.

IMO, a 1st or 2nd is comparable to a starter or at least it should be..

mclark
03-10-2008, 10:55 AM
I think we're waiting for NY to cut Robertson. Then we make a play for him.

I don't see Foxxy bringing much in a straight-across trade. If they traded Robertson fr Foxyworth it would be because Robertson's knee is ruined.

BOSSHOGG30
03-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Does the Jets even need a CB? I know Mangini likes guys who can play safety and CB, but they do have a pro bowl caliber safety in Rhodes, Abram Elam looked good last year as well as Eric Smith, both safeties. Darrelle Revis who could be a stud CB, David Barrett is a decent CB, plus Justin Miller has a ton of talent, if he can come back from his injury.

fcspikeit
03-10-2008, 11:06 AM
I think we're waiting for NY to cut Robertson. Then we make a play for him.

I don't see Foxxy bringing much in a straight-across trade. If they traded Robertson fr Foxyworth it would be because Robertson's knee is ruined.

Your saying they would rather cut Robertson, rather then trade him for Foxworth?

turftoad
03-10-2008, 11:31 AM

Most really good players make big money. Robertson is a really good player.

mclark
03-10-2008, 12:22 PM
Your saying they would rather cut Robertson, rather then trade him for Foxworth?

Robertson seems to be in the same territory Javon was in. Denver wanted something for Javon but no one was willing to bite.

We've probably pulled back from trade talk with the Jets, afraid of Robertson's contract and his knee -- again, similar to Javon.

Lonestar
03-10-2008, 11:38 PM

Robertson seems to be in the same territory Javon was in. Denver wanted something for Javon but no one was willing to bite.

We've probably pulled back from trade talk with the Jets, afraid of Robertson's contract and his knee -- again, similar to Javon.

Big balloon payment coming up and he would not renegotiate with the bungles when they thought they had a trade..

If we trade for him we get his contract in tact unless he wants to re-do it..

If they cut him and we claim him same thing applies.. I think..

Unless he is signed to a performance contract I say NO and wait for the draft.. Worst case is we get one of the second tier DTs with the second pick and they certainly will not be any worse than our current guys.. Then we have a real DL for the first time in MANY YEARS for hopefully many years..

SmilinAssasSin27
03-10-2008, 11:50 PM
...and still no word on Rod Coleman, Larry Tripplett or Darwin Walker. I can't believe that Shanny isn't at least looking at one of these guys.

dogfish
03-10-2008, 11:51 PM
Big balloon payment coming up and he would not renegotiate with the bungles when they thought they had a trade..

If we trade for him we get his contract in tact unless he wants to re-do it..

If they cut him and we claim him same thing applies.. I think..

Unless he is signed to a performance contract I say NO and wait for the draft.. Worst case is we get one of the second tier DTs with the second pick and they certainly will not be any worse than our current guys.. Then we have a real DL for the first time in MANY YEARS for hopefully many years..

once they cut him, his contract is done-- the only way you "inherit" his contract is if you trade for him. . . if the jets cut him he immediately becomes a free agent, and is available to sign a new contract with any team. . .

fcspikeit
03-11-2008, 12:56 AM
once they cut him, his contract is done-- the only way you "inherit" his contract is if you trade for him. . . if the jets cut him he immediately becomes a free agent, and is available to sign a new contract with any team. . .

How much cheaper would he come in FA? I would almost pay him more for a shorter contract rather then giving him a long term deal... It would be nice to bring him in and give him the chance to play for the long term deal..

There's just no way we are going to get one of the top 5 DT's in the league unless we pay them like one... Granted 11 Mill is a bit pricey even if he does put up great #'s and is among the best in the league..

My feeling is that, they will trade him on draft day...

Lonestar
03-11-2008, 01:37 AM
How much cheaper would he come in FA? I would almost pay him more for a shorter contract rather then giving him a long term deal... It would be nice to bring him in and give him the chance to play for the long term deal..

There's just no way we are going to get one of the top 5 DT's in the league unless we pay them like one... Granted 11 Mill is a pit pricey even if he does put up great #'s and is among the best in the league..

I think his bonus money is due very shortly and that is the reason they are shopping him.. It was alot like jwalks contract big bucks just because..

fcspikeit
03-11-2008, 01:47 AM
I think his bonus money is due very shortly and that is the reason they are shopping him.. It was alot like jwalks contract big bucks just because..

It really does make you wonder why all these players even agree to these back heavy contracts? The players almost always gets let go before they get the bulk of their payday.. Like Fitzgerald (SP) isn't he making like 17 mill this year if the Cards keep him?

shank
03-11-2008, 06:14 PM
It really does make you wonder why all these players even agree to these back heavy contracts? The players almost always gets let go before they get the bulk of their payday.. Like Fitzgerald (SP) isn't he making like 17 mill this year if the Cards keep him?

because it's probably better for them to only play like 3 of these 6 year contracts, and the long contract lets the team spread out bonus money over all the years. most get renegotiated or the player gets the ultimate gift of becoming a free agent...

and fitz isn't going anywhere anymore, they resigned him to 4 year 40 million. i think he would have made something ridiculous if they didn't redo it though, 17 million sounds familiar.

lex
03-11-2008, 09:50 PM

There's just no way we are going to get one of the top 5 DT's in the league unless we pay them like one... Granted 11 Mill is a bit pricey even if he does put up great #'s and is among the best in the league..

Was our problem that we didnt have an elite DT or was the primary problem that we had guys like Amon Gordon as a starter?

HolyDiver
03-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Was our problem that we didnt have an elite DT or was the primary problem that we had guys like Amon Gordon as a starter?

Same thing, isn't it? Gordon and Sam Adams............Talk about desperation.

dogfish
03-11-2008, 10:53 PM

what, amon gordon's not an elite DT?

topscribe
03-11-2008, 11:05 PM
what, amon gordon's not an elite DT?

Wha . . . ? He's not?? :faint:

-----

lex
03-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Same thing, isn't it? Gordon and Sam Adams............Talk about desperation.

No, its not the same at all. One wonders what the season would have been like with 2 competent, or even semi-competent DTs...let alone elite. Seriously, Amon Gordon has to be on a short list of some of our all time worst position players.

shank
03-12-2008, 12:16 AM
No, its not the same at all. One wonders what the season would have been like with 2 competent, or even semi-competent DTs...let alone elite. Seriously, Amon Gordon has to be on a short list of some of our all time worst position players.
well, now that last season is over, we can at least look back and laugh histerically that gordon was ACTUALLY a starter on our defense...

and we wondered why our run defense finished 30th...

HAHAHAHAHAHAh we were dumb (deny if you want to, i was dumb and trusted our coaches that he was the best option...)

topscribe
03-12-2008, 02:50 AM
well, now that last season is over, we can at least look back and laugh histerically that gordon was ACTUALLY a starter on our defense...

and we wondered why our run defense finished 30th...

HAHAHAHAHAHAh we were dumb (deny if you want to, i was dumb and trusted our coaches that he was the best option...)

Gordon WAS the Broncos' best option.

A pathetic state of affairs, I admit. But he was the best :tsk: they had at the time.

Well, that is, after, for some inexplicable reason, they gave Warren away . . .

-----

fcspikeit
03-12-2008, 03:37 AM

There definitely is a difference between elite and what we had... I believe a good indication of how big a difference is shown in where our run D was ranked. If we had average DT's that would have surely improved our run D.

When your staring at 30th, 16th looks pretty good. Hell, 20th looks pretty good.. I guess the question is or should be, how low do you want to go?

IMO, if we want to crack the top 10, we need an elite DT. I believe you can have terrible LB play and still be in the top 10 if you have elite DT's. On the other hand, if have elite LB's and shit DT's, you will be lucky to crack the top 20. There's only so much a backer can do when hes constantly fighting off 300 pound lineman.

In our case, we had bad LB's and DT's, therefore we were at the bottom..

An elite DT will have the most impact on your run D. All the best Run defense's have great play from the middle of the line, whether their in the backfield making plays or just eating up lineman, their the main reason for being able to stop the run.

That's why its pretty clear to me what position we have the most need. Our biggest problem was stopping the run. If we want to fix it, we will address the middle of our line.

The better the improvement, the better the results!

When you can't stop the run,

1. It's demoralizing to a Defense
2. 3rd downs are shorter
3. Your corners are on an island
4. Your defense is always tired
5. Your offense can't get on the field
6. Your offensive game plan changes

In short, we have to improve our run D if we ever want to be better then a 7-9 team.

How many games have we won over the years because teams couldn't stop our rushing attack? Shanahan should know all about the impact, running the ball can have on a football game. I really am surprised he don't value the play from the DT position more then Amon Gordon.

Joel
03-12-2008, 08:24 AM
I DON'T think he and Paymah are interchangeable, and cite the Bungles game two years ago as evidence. If he goes, we'll lose a valuable STARTING nickelback ( 'cos let's face it, when you're up by 20 in the fourth like you want, some of your LBs are on the bench... ) but he's made it clear he thinks he should start somewhere and wants to do so. I can't really blame him for that; he's too good to be a backup, and unless we start running a lot more nickels that's all he can really do now. I'd hate to lose him, but I'd rather do it for a GOOD DT we need than nothing at all.

But I don't want another "finesse" DT, a two gap guy who slips past blockers, I want the kind of 350+ lb. mauler Sam Adams was last century, who slams into the center and grabs the guard almost as an afterthought, then pushes the wall of flesh over on its own runningback. Someone to truly ANCHOR the defensive line, give them some solidity in the middle and a central point at which to pivot their blitzes and pass coverage.