PDA

View Full Version : Mike Shanahan and his Wide Receivers

Npba900
03-09-2008, 12:22 AM
With the exception of Rod Smith Ed McCaffery, Shanahan continues to have bad luck when it comes to drafting, developing, and keeping WR's. Amazingly Shanahan and Shannon Sharpe even had a parting of ways over salary issues and a slight personality issues.

Broncos fans can remember Sharpe leaving and going to the Ravens the following season. Later in the playoffs when Denver and the Ravens met, it was Sharps short yardage catch that turned into a long TD and the turning point to beat the Broncos 10-7. Sharpe and the Ravens went on to win the Super Bowl.

Most recently, there is the saga of Lielie and Walker. With Walker now a Raider, will Javon's performance be impactful enough for the Broncos to loose both games or one game to the Raiders! That would be a bummer wouldn't it.

Chock it up to bad luck I guess or it just wasn't meant to be when it comes to Shanahan and his WR's.

Imagine Cutler having the available weapons of Lilie, Walker, Stockely, Schaeffer and Marshall for the 2008 season. Oh well.

The next saga will be how the relationship btwn Brandon Marshall and Shanahan develops in the next two years. Will history repeat itself and we see the repeat of the Shanahan vs Sharpe type relationship between Marshall and Shanahan? Will the Broncos and fans see yet another talented WR leave Denver b/c of Salary squabbles, Chemistry, and personality clash with Coach Shanahan? Lets all hope not.

Lonestar
03-09-2008, 12:36 AM
Let hope that more of Rod Smith rubs of on Marshall than the rest of the morons you mentioned..

mikey is indeed snake bit in the DAFT on WR's..

Lets hope he stays away from taking one on day one.. If he does he might as well be prepared to trade him on day two..

Scarface
03-09-2008, 12:36 AM
This really isn't an issue to me right now.

ikillz0mbies
03-09-2008, 12:42 AM
Great, so I guess WR has become number one priority. Screw DT and OT. :rolleyes:

Bronco9798
03-09-2008, 12:46 AM
Ashley and Javon were the problems, not Shanny. Ashley should of been born a girl, and Javon needs to understand the team concept. Good riddance to both. Shanny is the winner in both cases. Screw those two.

Davii
03-09-2008, 12:54 AM
Ashley Lelie was a girl. I mean, he has been so succesful elsewhere that it had to have been Denver right? Right?

Javon? He's a me me kind of guy with a bum knee. Would you shell out the dough for that? I know I wouldn't.

Javon is a talented guy, but all the talent in the world won't help him if his knee doesn't hold out.

Personally I am pretty high on BMarsh and expect him to be on this team for many years.

DenBronx
03-09-2008, 12:59 AM
Imagine Cutler having the available weapons of Lilie, Walker, Stockely, Schaeffer and Marshall for the 2008 season. Oh well.

if you want people to take you seriously, then at least spell their names right. but good points are made.

Npba900
03-09-2008, 01:33 AM
Spelling aside, it does appear that Shanahan is cursed when it comes to selecting WR's in FA or in the draft was the main point of my post.

BroncoBJ
03-09-2008, 02:09 AM
if you want people to take you seriously, then at least spell their names right. but good points are made.

:lol: I noticed that as well. It be different if 1 name was misspelled because sometimes I misspell names. But damn it seemed like every WR he named was spelt wrong. Its almost as if it was done like that on purpose :lol:

Though I agree that it be nice to have more quality WR's when healthy. BUt a good QB can get the ball to any WR so it doesn't matter.

Davii
03-09-2008, 02:41 AM
:lol: I noticed that as well. It be different if 1 name was misspelled because sometimes I misspell names. But damn it seemed like every WR he named was spelt wrong. Its almost as if it was done like that on purpose :lol:

Though I agree that it be nice to have more quality WR's when healthy. BUt a good QB can get the ball to any WR so it doesn't matter.

A) They have to get open first

B) They have to catch the ball when it's thrown to them

The good QB negates the need for good WR's line of thinking is pretty silly. That's like saying we have a great coach we don't need good players.

BroncoBJ
03-09-2008, 02:48 AM
A) They have to get open first

B) They have to catch the ball when it's thrown to them

The good QB negates the need for good WR's line of thinking is pretty silly. That's like saying we have a great coach we don't need good players.

Well Theres some qbs who can get the ball to anyone and make any Reciever look good. I always think of Brady. He just finds the open man and hits him right on the money although he has always seem to have a decent OL in front of him plus hes pretty good on his feet and feeling pressure. But he seems to make any WR look good. How many good WR's do we need though? Not every team has 2 amazing Recievers. We have Marshall for our #1 and Stokely for the slot. Plus Scheff and Graham as our TE's. And I have no idea who our #2 will be this year. I doubt it will be Edel or Keary. At least I hope its not 1 of those guys. But we dont need to have stars all across the board. That is why I think we need to beef up and get some linemen so Jay can actually have time to find the open man. CB's cant cover WR's forever. Look at Dre and Champ. Our D-line never got to the QB and opposing teams had all day to find the open man and did so. I dont see a need to have all our talent be at the WR posistion. :salute:

Stargazer
03-09-2008, 04:28 AM
Well Theres some qbs who can get the ball to anyone and make any Reciever look good. I always think of Brady. He just finds the open man and hits him right on the money although he has always seem to have a decent OL in front of him plus hes pretty good on his feet and feeling pressure. But he seems to make any WR look good. How many good WR's do we need though?

But, his OL wasn't enough. And his WR talent wasn't enough. Hence the Donte, Moss, and Welker acquisitions. Brady clearly was lacking weapons at the WR position prior to last season.

BroncoBJ
03-09-2008, 04:34 AM
But, his OL wasn't enough. And his WR talent wasn't enough. Hence the Donte, Moss, and Welker acquisitions. Brady clearly was lacking weapons at the WR position prior to last season.

I'm more so talking about early in Bradys career. I agree that he had a great group of wideouts last year with Donte, Moss, and Welker. It was enough to make them go 18-1* though :lol:
And if Denver can go 18-1 in the near future I would be estatic. I would just pray the 1 loss was a regular season loss.

Jay does have pretty good talent around him for the most part. I think this will be Jays breakout year though. :elefant:

Stargazer
03-09-2008, 04:42 AM
I'm more so talking about early in Bradys career.

Yes, but Brady hasn't been talent deficient early in his career or really any part of his career. He has been surrounded by decent WR's. It caught up to NE prior to last season. NE did make an attemp by drafting Chad Jackson in the 2nd round(which has completely failed so far). When the team finally ran the cupboard dry, NE had to finally address the situation. Hence the Walker, Moss, Donte acquisitions.

BroncoBJ
03-09-2008, 05:07 AM
Yes, but Brady hasn't been talent deficient early in his career or really any part of his career. He has been surrounded by decent WR's. It caught up to NE prior to last season. NE did make an attemp by drafting Chad Jackson in the 2nd round(which has completely failed so far). When the team finally ran the cupboard dry, NE had to finally address the situation. Hence the Walker, Moss, Donte acquisitions.

Yea but he always seemed to hit the open man and moved the chains. Our WR's that we have now are much better then the group Brady had when he first started IMO. But who knows how good Keary or Edel will be with us when/if they get the chance to play. People seem to be too quick to critisize every move we make and want every great Player thats available. I'm sure if our oline will give Jay 4-6 seconds that will be enough for someone to get open and catch the ball like Davii said. Instead of the 2-3 seconds they gave him last year. :coffee:

In-com-plete
03-09-2008, 03:52 PM
With the exception of Rod Smith Ed McCaffery, Shanahan continues to have bad luck when it comes to drafting, developing, and keeping WR's. Amazingly Shanahan and Shannon Sharpe even had a parting of ways over salary issues and a slight personality issues.

Broncos fans can remember Sharpe leaving and going to the Ravens the following season. Later in the playoffs when Denver and the Ravens met, it was Sharps short yardage catch that turned into a long TD and the turning point to beat the Broncos 10-7. Sharpe and the Ravens went on to win the Super Bowl.

Most recently, there is the saga of Lielie and Walker. With Walker now a Raider, will Javon's performance be impactful enough for the Broncos to loose both games or one game to the Raiders! That would be a bummer wouldn't it.

Chock it up to bad luck I guess or it just wasn't meant to be when it comes to Shanahan and his WR's.

The next saga will be how the relationship btwn Brandon Marshall and Shanahan develops in the next two years. Will history repeat itself and we see the repeat of the Shanahan vs Sharpe type relationship between Marshall and Shanahan? Will the Broncos and fans see yet another talented WR leave Denver b/c of Salary squabbles, Chemistry, and personality clash with Coach Shanahan? Lets all hope not.

I honestly don't think it's a matter of luck.

Just look at the WRs we've drafted up until Marshall. Guys that Shanny pumped up during mini-camps that never even made the roster. Or guys like Watts who was taken way too early. I don't think Shanny was just unlucky there. How about drafting Lelie over Walker. Was that just a matter of bad luck?

And hows that saying go? Once is a fluke, twice is a trend. Well when it comes to Shanny drafting a WR, it's pretty much once is a fluke. And that once being Brandon Marshall.

dogfish
03-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Ashley and Javon were the problems, not Shanny. Ashley should of been born a girl, and Javon needs to understand the team concept. Good riddance to both. Shanny is the winner in both cases. Screw those two.

i thought getting a 3rd rounder out of lilly was a good resolution, but i'd hardly call us winners in the walker deal-- we gave up a high 2nd round pick for a guy who gave us one good year and then put the smack down on our salary cap! i'm as glad as anyone else that the jerk is gone, but green bay got a great pick, javon got a big contract in chokeland, and we pretty much got screwed. . . .

Npba900
03-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Great, so I guess WR has become number one priority. Screw DT and OT. :rolleyes:

No one said that WR becomes a number one issue! The point is, not so much as a lack of effort on Shanahan's' part with trying to bring in talented WR's. Its just rather odd with all the bad luck Shanahan has had with drafting or bringing in FA wide receivers. This isn't to say Shanny hasn't had good fortune with WR's if one were to look at Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey. Bronco97/98 made good points with the fact that Ashely and Javon had "Me-First Disease".

I think the key to Shanahan having better luck with drafting or discovering sleeper WR's; would be to look at the blue print of over-achieving wide receivers like Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey. Rod was un-drafted and McCafrey was a journeyman wide out, having played for the Giants and 49ers before coming to Denver. Both receivers were team players, had strong work ethic, never quit and were determined to become NFL wide receivers. Both were "Diamond-the-Rough" players. Receiver's like Ed and Rod are Shanahan/Denver Bronco type receivers, win the the hearts and respect of the Bronco Fans.

I believe Stokley fits this mode. However, I wish Stokely was 5 years younger, at 31 or 32 he may have a problem staying healthy. However when or while healthy....Stok is an excellent slot WR.

As for Brandon having been drafted in the 4th round, Shanahan has shown he knows how to find "Sleeper" talent on the second day of the draft.

So, I believe the key to Shanahan having better luck with acquiring, developing and keeping WR talent, would be to concentrate on finding "Diamond-in-The-Rough and Sleeper Talented wide receivers.

Lonestar
03-09-2008, 10:05 PM
No one said that WR becomes a number one issue! The point is, not so much as a lack of effort on Shanahan's' part with trying to bring in talented WR's. Its just rather odd with all the bad luck Shanahan has had with drafting or bringing in FA wide receivers. This isn't to say Shanny hasn't had good fortune with WR's if one were to look at Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey. Bronco97/98 made good points with the fact that Ashely and Javon had "Me-First Disease".

I think the key to Shanahan having better luck with drafting or discovering sleeper WR's; would be to look at the blue print of over-achieving wide receivers like Rod Smith and Ed McCaffrey. Rod was un-drafted and McCafrey was a journeyman wide out, having played for the Giants and 49ers before coming to Denver. Both receivers were team players, had strong work ethic, never quit and were determined to become NFL wide receivers. Both were "Diamond-the-Rough" players. Receiver's like Ed and Rod are Shanahan/Denver Bronco type receivers, win the the hearts and respect of the Bronco Fans.

I believe Stokley fits this mode. However, I wish Stokely was 5 years younger, at 31 or 32 he may have a problem staying healthy. However when or while healthy....Stok is an excellent slot WR.

As for Brandon having been drafted in the 4th round, Shanahan has shown he knows how to find "Sleeper" talent on the second day of the draft.So, I believe the key to Shanahan having better luck with acquiring, developing and keeping WR talent, would be to concentrate on finding "Diamond-in-The-Rough and Sleeper Talented wide receivers.

Considering NONE of his previous draftees worked out.. I'd say it was luck more that talent finding Marshall..

Npba900
03-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Considering NONE of his previous draftees worked out.. I'd say it was luck more that talent finding Marshall..

The entire draft is not exact science. Players that are taken in first round are not guaranteed to make the pro bowl and the eventual HOF. The draft basically comes down to luck when you really break it down.

In the 2008 draft as far as WR goes, there are Rod Smith's, Ed McCaffrey's, and Brandon Marshall's out there, the hard part are discovering, drafting, and developing these types of players.

Lonestar
03-09-2008, 10:44 PM
The entire draft is not exact science. Players that are taken in first round are not guaranteed to make the pro bowl and the eventual HOF. The draft basically comes down to luck when you really break it down.

In the 2008 draft as far as WR goes, there are Rod Smith's, Ed McCaffrey's, and Brandon Marshall's out there, the hard part are discovering, drafting, and developing these types of players.

Your correct but so far and you do not have to go back and get the numbers but mikey is 1-17 or so in WR's while being in DEN..

This is not including the quitersons type screw ups.

Exact science!!!! Hell he is not in the ball park..

He could have taken javon but took ashley that was not rocket science, HE drafted in the second round a ONE handed receiver that is not brain surgery.

Those are just two HUGE FUBARs in mickeys quiver.. there are MORE not quite so spectacular.. 16 or 17 more..

Even the best of GM's have a lousy batting average and ALMOST none of them contribute the first year.. Most are not worth a crap until year three and then it is time to resign them to an overinflated contract as to not lose them.. But well we have never had to do that with a DAFTEE YET..

Lets just hope he does not waste another high choice in trying to find one of these GEMS..

Bronco9798
03-09-2008, 10:52 PM

To draft good and increase your chances of success you have to daft to the strength of the draft and not your own needs sometimes. Every year the draft tends to be stronger in certain areas than others. If you draft to the strength of the draft, you have much better odds of having success.

Good teams will study the draft and make an assessment of needs and then look at free agency and compare the two. If you need safety help and the draft is weak at safety that year then you look at free agency and see if you can get better value there. If the draft is strong in another area, you can set your sights on another position during free agency, etc.,

If you use the draft and free agency together and compare each strength/weakness against each other, you have better odds at a successful off-season.

Just saying......

Bronco9798
03-09-2008, 11:11 PM
And for the love of god, don't home school your players.

Just saying.

ikillz0mbies
03-10-2008, 12:17 AM
The draft in general is always a gamble. You're drafting players who you hope to make an impact and possibly be the cornerstone of the team. But the thing is, they haven't played NFL football a day in their life. It really is a risk, Shanahan just ends up with a bad hand. When you draft, you think you know what you're getting. Then all kinds of crazy stuff happens to that player. I know there is always the argument of "he should've drafted this player instead of this guy". Its really redundant to say that because, well the draft already happened. You can't redraft a guy. You can't draft a player then say 5 years later, we should have drafted this guy instead. You don't know what you're getting from a player 5 years later. But getting back to wide receivers, theres really nothing Shanahan could've done, except just evaluate a little better. Hes not looking into the future to see which player of the draft class has a hall of fame career then go back and draft him.

EMB6903
03-10-2008, 12:51 AM

go back to your post and edit it, because you left Brandon Marshall out (who was drafted in the 2nd day, along with drafting Scheffler a great recieving TE.

Stargazer
03-10-2008, 02:49 AM
we gave up a high 2nd round pick for a guy who gave us one good year and then put the smack down on our salary cap!

I think some people forget this. Denver gave up a high 2nd for Javon, and not only that, but a large contract to Walker.

Npba900
03-10-2008, 06:11 AM
go back to your post and edit it, because you left Brandon Marshall out (who was drafted in the 2nd day, along with drafting Scheffler a great recieving TE.

Actually, I mentioned Brandon back post #18. Shanahan got that one right! Brandon was rated as the "Sleeper-talent" below the radar type WR, b/c he went to a small school.

str8jacket
03-10-2008, 09:40 AM
I stopped reading after i realized you can't spell anyones names right.

fcspikeit
03-10-2008, 10:30 AM
The draft in general is always a gamble. You're drafting players who you hope to make an impact and possibly be the cornerstone of the team. But the thing is, they haven't played NFL football a day in their life. It really is a risk, Shanahan just ends up with a bad hand.

Come on!! Mikey could have done a better job drafting WR's if he closed his eyes and pointed at the board..

When you draft, you think you know what you're getting. Then all kinds of crazy stuff happens to that player. I know there is always the argument of "he should've drafted this player instead of this guy".

Of course there will always be hits and misses. However, when your last in batting average that always means 1 or 2 things, everyone else is either really good or your really awful! Take your pick and explain to me why in either case you shouldn't be replaced?

Its really redundant to say that because, well the draft already happened. You can't redraft a guy. You can't draft a player then say 5 years later, we should have drafted this guy instead.

No but you can say, we should get one of the guys that drafted that guy, and that guy, and that guy....

You don't know what you're getting from a player 5 years later. But getting back to wide receivers, theres really nothing Shanahan could've done, except just evaluate a little better.

LOL. That would probably be a good start..

NameUsedBefore
03-10-2008, 05:34 PM
*I'd just like to defend Shanahan a bit here. I know he has had terrible drafting of receivers, but if you look over the league damn near everyone has. So many receivers, and cornerbacks as well, come and go through this league. San Fran, Jacksonville, Detroit, Tampa Bay, Miami, etc. It's a total crapshoot with these guys, 1st round or 7th.

BOSSHOGG30
03-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Joey Galloway's production could be threatened by Antonio Bryant this season.

Galloway, who is recovering from shoulder surgery, has similar vertical skills to Bryant. They both average over 15 yards-per-catch in their career, although it's possible Bryant will be moved to flanker. Michael Clayton and Maurice Stovall could be on the roster bubble now.

Why aren't we trying to get this guy?!

turftoad
03-10-2008, 05:48 PM

Galloway, who is recovering from shoulder surgery, has similar vertical skills to Bryant. They both average over 15 yards-per-catch in their career, although it's possible Bryant will be moved to flanker. Michael Clayton and Maurice Stovall could be on the roster bubble now.

When did Antonio Bryant join the Bucs??

BOSSHOGG30
03-10-2008, 06:13 PM
When did Antonio Bryant join the Bucs??

Today.

turftoad
03-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Today.

Jeezz......... I forgot about him. Yeah he's had some issues but he has a ton of talent if he can keep his head on straight. Good cheep pick up for them.

I'd rather have him than Colbert.

Davii
03-10-2008, 06:16 PM

Because it says he "could be" on the roster bubble. He's still a Buccaneer, not a FA. If and when he becomes a free agent i'm sure the Bronco's will look at him. Whether they pursue him or not, who knows....

dogfish
03-10-2008, 06:18 PM
*I'd just like to defend Shanahan a bit here. I know he has had terrible drafting of receivers, but if you look over the league damn near everyone has. So many receivers, and cornerbacks as well, come and go through this league. San Fran, Jacksonville, Detroit, Tampa Bay, Miami, etc. It's a total crapshoot with these guys, 1st round or 7th.

and we'll probably be spending a high pick on aniother one this year. . . . :frusty:

BOSSHOGG30
03-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Because it says he "could be" on the roster bubble. He's still a Buccaneer, not a FA. If and when he becomes a free agent i'm sure the Bronco's will look at him. Whether they pursue him or not, who knows....

if he is considered on the roster bubble.... I think the Bucs would like to get something in return for him...I hope Denver is throwing a 5th or 7th rounder at them and see if they bite.

turftoad
03-10-2008, 06:24 PM

This is exactly why you sign a proven FA even if it cost's a few bucks.
Colbert is not the answer.
Would have liked to see B. Johnson.

WR is probably the toughest position to draft.

turftoad
03-10-2008, 06:25 PM
if he is considered on the roster bubble.... I think the Bucs would like to get something in return for him...I hope Denver is throwing a 5th or 7th rounder at them and see if they bite.

Clayton you mean. I agree.

dogfish
03-10-2008, 06:35 PM
This is exactly why you sign a proven FA even if it cost's a few bucks.
Colbert is not the answer.
Would have liked to see B. Johnson.

WR is probably the toughest position to draft.

that's my feeling as well. . . we've got a very good #1 and #3, and a pass-catching tight end with tremendous potential-- we don't need to spend a high pick (or trade for roy williams) to get adequate production from the #2 spot. . . grab somebody like clayton or d.j. hackett, they're not studs but they should be productive enough to get the job done. . . i'd rather go that route, and maybe draft a WR with some developmental potential on the 2nd day-- see if we can get lucky again. . . .

TXBRONC
03-10-2008, 06:47 PM

Do you want Shanahan to trade for Clayton?

It wouldn't be wise to get this guy by either trade or free agency? He's in an offense similar to ours and he's bust so why do we need him here? That's the way I see it.

Bronco9798
03-10-2008, 06:47 PM
Well, I think Colbert will be a little better than what some people are expecting. I'm anxious and excited to get him on an offense where he can show his skills. I like the idea of having Cutler throwing to him, and having him surrounded by Marshall, Stokly, and Sheff.

I think he can fill the role as a viable NO#2 and move the chains and make the catches when his number is called.

Skinny
03-10-2008, 06:56 PM
As long as we don't Draft one in the 1st round, depending on who it is, i can live with one in the 2nd. I'm not overly excited about this years group but there are a few guys i could live with seeing lined up opposite BMarsh ...

TXBRONC
03-10-2008, 07:07 PM
As long as we don't Draft one in the 1st round, depending on who it is, i can live with one in the 2nd. I'm not overly excited about this years group but there are a few guys i could live with seeing lined up opposite BMarsh ...

Deshawn Jackson might be worth a number one pick but not at 12 if I'm understanding some of the draft nicks right.

dogfish
03-10-2008, 07:12 PM

i really don't want any 1st day receivers, but if we do take one devin thomas would be my first choice. . .

TX, i'll betcha dexter jackson from appalachian state makes a better pro than desean. . .

TXBRONC
03-10-2008, 07:17 PM
i really don't want any 1st day receivers, but if we do take one devin thomas would be my first choice. . .

TX, i'll betcha dexter jackson from appalachian state makes a better pro than desean. . .

That's not a bet I would take because evaluating draft picks is not my forte. You have a much better sense of that than I do. I'm simply going with what I hearing from guys like Mike Mayock.

dogfish
03-10-2008, 07:26 PM
jerome simpson is a 2nd day WR prospect that i wouldn't mind seeing us take a flier on. . .

Wide Receiver | Senior | Coastal Carolina Jerome Simpson
Height: 6-13/4 | Weight: 199 | 40-Time: 4.47

Official Bio

Strengths:
Excellent natural athlete...Nice height and bulk with long arms...Has huge 11-inch hands and he will make the spectacular catch..Outstanding leaping ability...Terrific body control and ball skills...Understands how to get open...Gives good effort as a blocker...Tough and fearless..Hard worker with good intangibles...Nice production.

Weaknesses:
Did not play against top competition...Doesn't have elite speed or quickness...Not very explosive and lacks a burst...Doesn't appear to get much separation...Is not real elusive and won't do much damage after the catch...Not a big play threat and won't stretch the field....Has to get stronger...Needs to work on his route running.

Notes:
Will follow in the footsteps of his former quarterback Tyler Thigpen to become the second Chanticleer player to ever be drafted...Also participated in track at Coastal Carolina and holds school records for the long jump and the high jump...Four-year starter...Was one of the stars of the East-West Shrine week...At the NFL Scouting Combine he placed among the top ten wideouts in the forty, the vertical jump and the broad jump..Will try and follow in the footsteps of other small school receivers such as Marques Colston & Jacoby Jones...His freakishly long arms and big hands are definite eye-openers...Despite his small school roots he has starting potential.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Career Statistics
Year GP Rec Yds YPC TD
2004 11 26 419 16.1 8
2005 11 33 527 16.0 9
2006 12 61 1,077 17.7 16
2007 11 41 697 17.0 11
Tot. 45 161 2,023 16.9 44

they said brandon marshall couldn't get seperation, too. . .

TXBRONC
03-10-2008, 08:08 PM
jerome simpson is a 2nd day WR prospect that i wouldn't mind seeing us take a flier on. . .

Wide Receiver | Senior | Coastal Carolina Jerome Simpson
Height: 6-13/4 | Weight: 199 | 40-Time: 4.47

Official Bio

Strengths:
Excellent natural athlete...Nice height and bulk with long arms...Has huge 11-inch hands and he will make the spectacular catch..Outstanding leaping ability...Terrific body control and ball skills...Understands how to get open...Gives good effort as a blocker...Tough and fearless..Hard worker with good intangibles...Nice production.

Weaknesses:
Did not play against top competition...Doesn't have elite speed or quickness...Not very explosive and lacks a burst...Doesn't appear to get much separation...Is not real elusive and won't do much damage after the catch...Not a big play threat and won't stretch the field....Has to get stronger...Needs to work on his route running.

Notes:
Will follow in the footsteps of his former quarterback Tyler Thigpen to become the second Chanticleer player to ever be drafted...Also participated in track at Coastal Carolina and holds school records for the long jump and the high jump...Four-year starter...Was one of the stars of the East-West Shrine week...At the NFL Scouting Combine he placed among the top ten wideouts in the forty, the vertical jump and the broad jump..Will try and follow in the footsteps of other small school receivers such as Marques Colston & Jacoby Jones...His freakishly long arms and big hands are definite eye-openers...Despite his small school roots he has starting potential.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Career Statistics
Year GP Rec Yds YPC TD
2004 11 26 419 16.1 8
2005 11 33 527 16.0 9
2006 12 61 1,077 17.7 16
2007 11 41 697 17.0 11
Tot. 45 161 2,023 16.9 44

they said brandon marshall couldn't get separation, too. . .

From what I am reading here he looks like a very interesting prospect. Where is he projected to go in the draft Dog?

dogfish
03-10-2008, 08:37 PM
From what I am reading here he looks like a very interesting prospect. Where is he projected to go in the draft Dog?

i've seen anywhere from late 2nd to 5th-- personally, i think they're huffing gasoline if they think he'll go even close to that high. . . obviously i'm just guessing, but i think mid 4th to mid 5th is likely-- too many other good receivers from bigger schools are available for him to go too much higher, IMO. . . who knows, though. . . :whoknows:

BOSSHOGG30
03-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Luke Dillon will be the next Brandon Marshall/Vincent Jackson

Lonestar
03-10-2008, 09:49 PM
We have a great #1, a pretty damned good slot guy, we have a up and coming TE, we have another great TE that if he doesn't have to babysit Lepsis or pears this year is a good receiver.. We have young out of the backfield. I just do not see any major need to spend big bucks on a #2.. It is a nice to have but hardly a 1st through 3rd priority more like a 5 or 6 priority of things we HAVE to HAVE

Stokely put up decent numbers, Scheffler was getting into stride, Graham was to bust keeping the OT out of trouble our RB's were hurt all year.. And our OLINE sucked..

Do we really need a 60+ reception guy? not sure who is not going to get the ball that did last year.

Where are we going to get 60-70 more receptions and that t really means another 100-140 pass put up just for this NEWBIE. FOLKS where are they gonna come from?

Are we gonna abandon the run?

Is Marshall going to only get 80 this year? Instead of 104!
That is still off but a bunch of passes.. If anything Scheffler and Graham will be get more passes to them..

I just do not see the gaping hole that Y'all do..

TXBRONC
03-10-2008, 10:01 PM
We have a great #1, a pretty damned good slot guy, we have a up and coming TE, we have another great TE that if he doesn't have to babysit Lepsis or pears this year is a good receiver.. We have young out of the backfield. I just do not see any major need to spend big bucks on a #2.. It is a nice to have but hardly a 1st through 3rd priority more like a 5 or 6 priority of things we HAVE to HAVE

Stokely put up decent numbers, Scheffler was getting into stride, Graham was to bust keeping the OT out of trouble our RB's were hurt all year.. And our OLINE sucked..

Do we really need a 60+ reception guy? not sure who is not going to get the ball that did last year.

Where are we going to get 60-70 more receptions and that t really means another 100-140 pass put up just for this NEWBIE. FOLKS where are they gonna come from?

Are we gonna abandon the run?

Is Marshall going to only get 80 this year? Instead of 104!
That is still off but a bunch of passes.. If anything Scheffler and Graham will be get more passes to them..

I just do not see the gaping hole that Y'all do..

Why would that mean we are abandoning the run? In 2000 we had two receivers with 100 receptions and a running back who gained 1487 yards rushing.

Skinny
03-10-2008, 10:20 PM
Deshawn Jackson might be worth a number one pick but not at 12 if I'm understanding some of the draft nicks right. I fear for his physical well being in the NFL ...

Npba900
03-10-2008, 10:21 PM
I stopped reading after i realized you can't spell anyones names right.

You have a nice day Str8jacket.;)

TXBRONC
03-10-2008, 10:23 PM
I fear for his physical well being in the NFL ...

As a wide receiver it shouldn't be a problem. Look at Santana Moss. He's about the same size as DeSean.

NameUsedBefore
03-10-2008, 10:27 PM
I don't see any need to draft a wide receiver in the first day. Marshall is looking like a true #1 receiver, possibly one of the league's best even, and Stokley/Colbert are very solid #2/slot receivers. We also have two solid tight-ends in Sheffler and Graham, and a tweener in Jackson who has potential (basically: just some depth, possibly expendable).

MOtorboat
03-10-2008, 10:36 PM
I don't see any need to draft a wide receiver in the first day. Marshall is looking like a true #1 receiver, possibly one of the league's best even, and Stokley/Colbert are very solid #2/slot receivers. We also have two solid tight-ends in Sheffler and Graham, and a tweener in Jackson who has potential (basically: just some depth, possibly expendable).

I don't think Stokley/Colbert are No. 2s...but get us a solid LT and they become at least a third option. Sure, I'd like to see a proven No.2, but we're OK if we sure up the offense line.

Skinny
03-10-2008, 10:39 PM
As a wide receiver it shouldn't be a problem. Look at Santana Moss. He's about the same size as DeSean.Santana is a rock solid 200 pounds. Jackson is one hundred sixty something soaking wet with pads on. Anywhere near a 30 pound diffrence.

I'm almost a buck sixty five and i bruise when i bump into the coffee table ...

TXBRONC
03-10-2008, 10:40 PM

I don't know NUB Colbert's production over the last three years hasn't been to good.

Maybe his lack of production has something to with the way the Panthers run their offense but who knows. :noidea:

TXBRONC
03-10-2008, 10:41 PM
Santana is a rock solid 200 pounds. Jackson is one hundred sixty something soaking wet with pads on. Anywhere near a 30 pound diffrence.

I'm almost a buck sixty five and i bruise when i bump into the coffee table ...

I thought Santana went about 180 lbs.

Lonestar
03-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Why would that mean we are abandoning the run? In 2000 we had two receivers with 100 receptions and a running back who gained 1487 yards rushing.

What I was trying to say was there are only so many touches and balls do not grow on trees.. Back in 2000 if I remember correctly our all pro HOF TE was in BAL. Someone else had to pick up most of that slack Eddie and Rod..

You know as well as I do, unless we totally dominate TOP, which even back in SB years is not normally skewed more than a couple of minutes over the other team..

It just does not happen.. there are just so many passes and so many runs.. If we are able to eat clock with the run then less passes are thrown..

I'm not going to argue the point any farther but if you wish to try to disprove it please by all means do so..

pass attp comp yards run attp. yards TOP
2001 511 312 3208 481 1877 31:41
2002 554 359 4139 457 2266 31:08
2003 479 280 3126 543 2629 34:04
2004 521 303 4089 534 2333 32:38
2005 465 279 3373 542 2539 32:40
2006 454 256 2995 488 2152 30:24
2007 515 326 3759 429 1957 29:35
==================================
avg 494 302 3527 496 2250
diff 21+ 24+ 232+ 67- 293-
2007 under over avg.

We threw more 4.2% in 2007 than the prior 6 years and we ran less. 13% less

Do you really think we are going to be able to find another 60-80 balls for a #2? And that means to get 60 receptions you will have to throw about 95 more passes.

I do not see it..That is the need for a stud #2.. A nice to have but not worth BIG money for..

I could only go back to 2001 as the site I trust and use for stats only goes back that far..
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2001/broncos/
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2002/broncos/
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2003/broncos/
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2004/broncos/
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2005/broncos/
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2006/broncos/
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2007/broncos/

HolyDiver
03-11-2008, 08:14 AM
Receiving Rec Yds Avg TD .....................2001 season, without a legit #2 Receiver
Rod Smith 113 1343 11.9 11
Desmond Clark 51 566 11.1 6
Dwayne Carswell 34 299 8.8 4
Eddie Kennison 15 169 11.3 1
Patrick Hape 15 96 6.4 3
Terrell Davis 12 69 5.8 0
Scottie Montgomery 11 99 9.0 0
Tony Carter 11 83 7.5 0
Chris Cole 9 128 14.2 0
Kevin Kasper 8 84 10.5 0
Mike Anderson 8 46 5.8 0
Ed McCaffrey 6 94 15.7 1
KaRon Coleman 6 45 7.5 0
Keith Poole 5 38 7.6 0
Olandis Gary 4 29 7.3 0
Matt Dominquez 3 26 8.7 0
Brian Griese 1 -6 -6.0 0

NAME REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST ...................2007 season, also, no #2 Receiver,
Brandon Marshall 102 1325 13.0 68 7 3 1 since Stokley is really a slot.
Brandon Stokley 40 635 15.9 58 5 0 0
Tony Scheffler 49 549 11.2 41 5 1 1
Javon Walker 26 287 11.0 24 0 0 0
Daniel Graham 24 246 10.3 28 2 0 0
Selvin Young 35 231 6.6 24 0 1 1
Glenn Martinez 14 175 12.5 23 0 0 0
Andre Hall 2 69 34.5 65 0 0 0
Travis Henry 7 65 9.3 21 0 0 0
Chad Mustard 5 62 12.4 15 0 0 0
Cecil Sapp 14 51 3.6 16 1 0 0
Nate Jackson 3 34 11.3 24 1 0 0
Brian Clark 4 23 5.8 7 0 1 1
Mike Bell 1 7 7.0 7 0 0 0

HolyDiver
03-11-2008, 08:15 AM
These seasons look identical almost. Both seasons we underachieved.

MOtorboat
03-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Great analysis Jrwiz...bringing in a high-priced No. 2, probably isn't a good idea, if we stick with the same offensive philosophies that we've used in the past, throwing to both tight ends, running the ball a lot on first and second, and even sometimes on third, getting the ball to a No. 1, and throwing to both backs out of the backfield. However...if we are slowly developing into a spread offense with Cutler, our current situation isn't going to work. We might have seen the last of the days where we see an 1,800-yard back. LT led the lead with 1,474 yards.

I could only go back to 2001 as the site I trust and use for stats only goes back that far..
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2001/broncos/
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2002/broncos/
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2003/broncos/
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2004/broncos/
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2005/broncos/
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2006/broncos/
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/teams/stats/2007/broncos/

Jr...use www.nfl.com or www.pro-football-reference.com.

They have stats on every year of the team's existence.

Lonestar
03-11-2008, 11:30 AM
Great analysis Jrwiz...bringing in a high-priced No. 2, probably isn't a good idea, if we stick with the same offensive philosophies that we've used in the past, throwing to both tight ends, running the ball a lot on first and second, and even sometimes on third, getting the ball to a No. 1, and throwing to both backs out of the backfield. However...if we are slowly developing into a spread offense with Cutler, our current situation isn't going to work. We might have seen the last of the days where we see an 1,800-yard back. LT led the lead with 1,474 yards.

Jr...use www.nfl.com or www.pro-football-reference.com.

They have stats on every year of the team's existence.

Thanks for the links until this year the NFL site did not have numbers before 2001 either that I could find.. It seemed to be tied to CBS sports numbers also.. But they changed the site around this year.. I'm not as good at getting around the site as the one I use... So revert back to it.. The second link I'll keep around for old stuff.

I would love to have a great #2, but do not want to spend a ton of money on him for the small amount of gain we would see. We just need another Eddie Mac to be a sure handed non flashy guy and at least ONE Sharpe type TE that is strong enough to beat anyone in the DB field and faster than most LBs.

We have never had a real slot receiver before most of our offenses have relied on WR, WR, TE and RB with great blocking then throw in the threat of a scrambling QB.. It has been pretty potent..

We were above average in Passing last year with newbies at QB WR, Slot, TE TE a MASH unit on the OLINE, also below average with the run.

Does anyone here really think that mikey is going to run less than we did last year which was below average and throw more?

I do not.

I could be totally wrong. But I see more running next year and a more controlled passing attack.

Medford Bronco
03-11-2008, 11:39 AM
the following season. Later in the playoffs when Denver and the Ravens met, it was Sharps short yardage catch that turned into a long TD and the turning point to beat the Broncos 10-7. Sharpe and the Ravens went on to win the Super Bowl.

You mean the Ravens beat the Broncos 21-3:confused:

"WildCard Sun December 31 L 11-6 @ Baltimore Ravens 3 21 "

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/2000.htm

turftoad
03-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the links until this year the NFL site did not have numbers before 2001 either that I could find.. It seemed to be tied to CBS sports numbers also.. But they changed the site around this year.. I'm not as good at getting around the site as the one I use... So revert back to it.. The second link I'll keep around for old stuff.

I would love to have a great #2, but do not want to spend a ton of money on him for the small amount of gain we would see. We just need another Eddie Mac to be a sure handed non flashy guy and at least ONE Sharpe type TE that is strong enough to beat anyone in the DB field and faster than most LBs.

We have never had a real slot receiver before most of our offenses have relied on WR, WR, TE and RB with great blocking then throw in the threat of a scrambling QB.. It has been pretty potent..

We were above average in Passing last year with newbies at QB WR, Slot, TE TE a MASH unit on the OLINE, also below average with the run.

Does anyone here really think that mikey is going to run less than we did last year which was below average and throw more?

I do not.

I could be totally wrong. But I see more running next year and a more controlled passing attack.

I'm not as optomistic about our #2 WR spot as some of you. No, I don't think we need to spend big bucks via R. Williams. D Stallworth etc. etc.... But it would still be nice to have a better compliment than Colbert who has been a bust since his rookie year.
A proven guy like B. Johnson is still out there and wouldn't break the bank.
The more and better options for Cutler the better.

Lonestar
03-11-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm not as optomistic about our #2 WR spot as some of you. No, I don't think we need to spend big bucks via R. Williams. D Stallworth etc. etc.... But it would still be nice to have a better compliment than Colbert who has been a bust since his rookie year.

I'm not overly optimistic about who we have on the WR roster right now . But do not think it is that big a deal with the other options to catch the ball to real promising TE and great slot guy in fact one of the best to play the spot and Young/Hall out of the back field..

If Colbert or one of the others steps up and gets 45+ catches this year fine. But I would not be spending any more there for a spot that frankly will not see the 75 or so throws it takes to get those 45 catches.. I think 75 more throws to him takes something away from another area.. That has to be the running attack which we were below average in last year already or one of the other receivers..

There are just so many touches on offense..

turftoad
03-11-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm not overly optimistic about who we have on the WR roster right now . But do not think it is that big a deal with the other options to catch the ball to real promising TE and great slot guy in fact one of the best to play the spot and Young/Hall out of the back field..

If Colbert or one of the others steps up and gets 45+ catches this year fine. But I would not be spending any more there for a spot that frankly will not see the 75 or so throws it takes to get those 45 catches.. I think 75 more throws to him takes something away from another area.. That has to be the running attack which we were below average in last year already or one of the other receivers..

There are just so many touches on offense..

When Stokley play for Indy he had Harrison, Wayne, D. Clark and either James or Addai in the backfield. They seemed to get the ball around plenty.
I'm not saying we need a Harrison, Wayne combo but something better than we have now.
Backs are covered by one guy usually, same as TE & slot WR. Teams will be doubling Marshall. He won't have as manyh catch's as he did last year.
So when Marshall is double covered we still need someone (good) to get open and catch the ball in single coverage.
I just don't see Colbert being that guy. He wasn't in Carolina opposite S. Smith. JMO
No, I'm comparing our "O" to Indy because hopefully we'll be more run oriented. Just sayin......

Lonestar
03-11-2008, 01:42 PM
When Stokley play for Indy he had Harrison, Wayne, D. Clark and either James or Addai in the backfield. They seemed to get the ball around plenty.
I'm not saying we need a Harrison, Wayne combo but something better than we have now.
Backs are covered by one guy usually, same as TE & slot WR. Teams will be doubling Marshall. He won't have as manyh catch's as he did last year.
So when Marshall is double covered we still need someone (good) to get open and catch the ball in single coverage.
I just don't see Colbert being that guy. He wasn't in Carolina opposite S. Smith. JMO
No, I'm comparing our "O" to Indy because hopefully we'll be more run oriented. Just sayin......

Well lets see comparing Den to Indy that is a stretch in most folks eyes.. Jay is not Manning nor do I think he ever will be.. He has an arm and maybe the mentality to be great, but you forget that INDY has a superb OLINE.. And IMO better RBs than we have had or have now.

Sure they moved the ball around they had the time to do so.. This OLINE is not going to ever be compared to theirs..

Does Marshall need help sure but that will come from the TE's and RB as well as the slot guy..

Last year we were up in passes and down in Running over the past 7 years stats.

I ask again, Where are the passes going to come from? One of the other receivers or RB or are we going to cut the running game back 50-75 or so more hand offs.

If our numbers were really down from prior years perhaps having a stud #2 would be the way to go.. We are not exactly bereft of offensive players..

Requiem / The Dagda
03-11-2008, 01:48 PM
The #2 wide receiver position this year will probably take a backseat considering the rampage Tony Scheffler went on when he got healthy this year. I would not doubt Tony having a 60+ catch season with 700+ yards. He's going to be one of our keys to success this season.

fcspikeit
03-11-2008, 03:56 PM

Why do you call Colbert a bust? I know his #'s haven't been superb, but almost everyone agrees it takes 2 or 3 year before a WR really comes into his own.

He is going on his 4th year, for me the verdict is still out on him.. Was he given a legit chance to be the #2 last year? I really don't know that much about him, so you could be right. But it seems he will have every chance to make something of himself here. If he will ever amount to anything it will be next year..

broncosfanscott
03-11-2008, 09:44 PM
The #2 wide receiver position this year will probably take a backseat considering the rampage Tony Scheffler went on when he got healthy this year. I would not doubt Tony having a 60+ catch season with 700+ yards. He's going to be one of our keys to success this season.

I was totally pissed when he got injured before the season. A whole season for this guy will help us immensly. Scheffler along with Marshall have good continuity with Cutler and hopfully Scheffler will be a key when it comes to the redzone troubles we had last year. I was totally glad we had him from the first time I saw him in preseason in '06.

Npba900
03-16-2008, 04:13 AM
You mean the Ravens beat the Broncos 21-3:confused:

"WildCard Sun December 31 L 11-6 @ Baltimore Ravens 3 21 "

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/2000.htm

My bad.....good research.