PDA

View Full Version : Fullbacks

shank
03-08-2008, 11:14 PM
I know there was already the Schmitt thread, but i'm making another to compare all the fullbacks.

I am trying to tweak my mock again now that we signed mccree and manuel, and want to include a fullback.

from what i understand, schmitt and cox are the best blockers (schmitt being more useful as a weapon as well), and most of the other guys are more like the hb/fb tweeners that we normally take?

is the 5th round too early to take mike cox?

TXBRONC
03-08-2008, 11:46 PM
I know there was already the Schmitt thread, but i'm making another to compare all the fullbacks.

I am trying to tweak my mock again now that we signed mccree and manuel, and want to include a fullback.

from what i understand, schmitt and cox are the best blockers (schmitt being more useful as a weapon as well), and most of the other guys are more like the hb/fb tweeners that we normally take?

is the 5th round too early to take mike cox?

I brought up the idea of drafting a fullback several months ago. I would really like for Shanahan to draft a true fullback. The guys we have right now really shouldn't be playing fullback.

Lonestar
03-08-2008, 11:48 PM
I brought up the idea of drafting a fullback several months ago. I would really like for Shanahan to draft a true fullback. The guys we have right now really shouldn't be playing fullback.

That is the problem they are playing fullback.

They are not bone fide fullbacks..

shank
03-09-2008, 12:06 AM
i altered my mock to include mike cox.

moved mehlhaff up the board cause i've seen plenty of things with him being taken before the 7th, whereas most people think cox should be selected somewhere in the 7th or undrafted from what i've read.

i'd prefer schmitt, and if we can get an extra 4th, and he's around, i'd def take him.

anyone know more about the rest of these guys?
Jerome Felton
Jehuu Calcrick
Carl Stewart
Doug Jones
Brandon McAnderson
Michael Pitre

TXBRONC
03-09-2008, 12:09 AM
That is the problem they are playing fullback.

They are not bone fide fullbacks..

I agree. Some running backs have the build and mentality for switching to fullback I don't think Sapp and Bell fit that bill.

Lonestar
03-09-2008, 12:22 AM
I agree. Some running backs have the build and mentality for switching to fullback I don't think Sapp and Bell fit that bill.

I agree. I do not think any true RB have that mentality, it almost has to be inbred..

TXBRONC
03-09-2008, 07:54 AM
I agree. I do not think any true RB have that mentality, it almost has to be inbred..

Some do. Did you know that Howard Griffith was running back in college and look what kind of fullback he turned out to be?

Lonestar
03-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Some do. Did you know that Howard Griffith was running back in college and look what kind of fullback he turned out to be?

But he knew his limitations and accepted them most RB have grand illusions they can be the next Barry, LT or Bush..

He was determined to be the best at what his skill set allowed.. IMHO

Hobe
03-09-2008, 11:22 AM
I would like to see a real fullback as well. What I have in mind is Howard Griffith from the Super Bowl teams. A very good blocker that can catch the flat pass and make it count. The converted tailbacks just have not filled that role.

MOtorboat
03-09-2008, 11:50 AM
But he knew his limitations and accepted them most RB have grand illusions they can be the next Barry, LT or Bush..

Ummm...can we not put Bush in the same sentence with Barry or LT, please. TIA. :wave:

But, yes, you're right, a lot of running backs are hard-headed about being "the guy," the "feature back."

dogfish
03-09-2008, 04:21 PM

so we want a fullback whose parents were cousins?

:laugh:

lex
03-09-2008, 04:34 PM

Actually Howard Griffith was converted from a RB in college to play FB in the pros. Many people arent aware that Griffith actually set a record by scoring 8 TDs in one game playing running back at UofI.

TXBRONC
03-09-2008, 04:51 PM

The point wasn't that Griffith knew his limataions it seems obvious that he did or else I don't think he could have made the switch. I was pointing out that some running backs can make the switch to fullback because they have both metality and the build for it. Griffith had both

TXBRONC
03-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Actually Howard Griffith was converted from a RB in college to play FB in the pros. Many people arent aware that Griffith actually set a record by scoring 8 TDs in one game playing running back at UofI.

He may not be now but after his playing days he was also Illinois' all time leading rusher after his career was over.

TXBRONC
03-09-2008, 04:55 PM

Yeah wer're looking for a fullback with name Billy Bob Clampet. Then we'll know for sure he's inbred. :lol:

Npba900
03-14-2008, 08:28 PM
[/URL]
i altered my mock to include mike cox.

moved mehlhaff up the board cause i've seen plenty of things with him being taken before the 7th, whereas most people think cox should be selected somewhere in the 7th or undrafted from what i've read.

i'd prefer schmitt, and if we can get an extra 4th, and he's around, i'd def take him.

anyone know more about the rest of these guys?
Jerome Felton
Jehuu Calcrick
Carl Stewart
Doug Jones
Brandon McAnderson
Michael Pitre

Here are some "Youtube" videos on a few of the fullbacks. Couldn't find anything "Doug Jones and Michael Pitre. Found video of Carl Stewart catching a screen pass for a short run....but that's about it.

Owen Schmitt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbwbWOJM-bM&feature=related

Jerrome Felton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vmtEhSTCaI&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zqi9JKzKWzs&NR=1

Jehuu Caulcrick - 7 Videos
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Jehuu%20Caulcrick&search=Search&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&spell=1

Brandon McAnderson
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1VdbuHb18"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx1VdbuHb18

Mike Cox
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHNXI3XYFfg

I'm really impressed with Caulcrick's power, agility and what appears to be deceptive speed. If Denver doesn't take Stewart or Mendenhall with their first or second pick; Shanahan needs to select Caulcrick in the 4th or 5th round. His power running between the tackles inside the 5 would really upgrade our ability to run the ball into the end zone. Caulcrick proved his power running inside the 5 last season by scoring 21 touch downs at Michigan State. Schmitt is a stud also, but I think he will be gone by the 3rd round.

Point is, last season Denver was miserable with running the ball into the end zone once inside the 5. Caulcrick solves and vastly upgrades Denver's woefull-pathetic scoring inside the 5 yard line last year.

Lastly, Brandon McAnderson, look really impressive as well. In the video, he ran with power, speed and with some elusiveness. McAnderson ability to cut back against the the grain would make him a perfect choice for Denver's zone blocking scheme.

Shawshank, I hope Shanahan and his scouts are really looking over all the afore mentioned RB-FB. These guys can really improve and upgrade our run scoring and consistency with converting 3rd and short.

Lonestar
03-14-2008, 09:58 PM

Only if they both played FB in the pros'

that would be one butt ugly guy with HUGE chip on his shoulders..