PDA

View Full Version : SB lesson No. 3: Make bold coaching decisions

Lonestar
02-09-2010, 11:22 PM
By LINDSAY JONES

FORT LAUDERDALE — Press boxes (even auxillary ones) are cheer-free zones. But when a coach makes a crazy, gutsy call, it’s only natural to gasp.

That was the case for plenty of us media types at the start of the second half last night when Saints coach Sean Payton made the bold decision to onside kick to start the third quarter.

Because punter Thomas Morehead executed the kick perfectly and special teamer Chris Reis managed to come out of what was surely a nasty scrum with the ball for the Saints.

It was a crazy call, maybe, but it turned out to be the right one. Payton knew how his team had closed the first half and wanted to maintain that momentum. He gambled, and won.

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels made his share of interesting calls in 2009, like deferring the opening kickoff against the Colts, that screen pass to Ryan Clady against Oakland, the “Wild Horse” series to open the game against New England.

McDaniels was criticized for some, praised for others.

The lesson from Sunday’s Super Bowl, though, is that sometimes it pays to be bold. Sometimes those decisions work — like the onside kick. Sometimes they don’t — like the Saints’ failed fourth-and-goal run late in the second quarter.

But in order to win the big games, you can’t be conservative.

Some said the Broncos were too conservative at times this year, especially on offense. As Josh McDaniels and Kyle Orton continue to grow more comfortable with each other, perhaps that will change. Based on the emails I got throughout the season, I know you fans are hoping it will. Conservative (like the Colts often were Sunday) can be effective, but man, isn’t it more fun to watch the crazy?

CrazyHorse
02-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Do bold decisions extend to the rest of the offense? What about the Quarterback position. Kyle Orton is pretty conservative. Do we need someone more like we had in Cutler who takes the risk?

broncofaninfla
02-10-2010, 01:24 PM
I honestly thought the entire coaching staff for the Saints should have gotten the MVP for the Super Bowl. The Colts were clearly out coached and out schemed. The agressive calls were timed perfectly as were the passive calls. It was a perfect blend on both sides of the ball and kept the Colts off balance for a majority of the game.

I'm one of the fans who feels our offense was way too conservative and predictable in 2009. It was painful and fustrating to watch. In 2010 I hope we are not only more aggresive with our play calls on offense but also make better use of the talent we have in being more aggresive.

TXBRONC
02-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Do bold decisions extend to the rest of the offense? What about the Quarterback position. Kyle Orton is pretty conservative. Do we need someone more like we had in Cutler who takes the risk?

Orton when he arrived that he's always been the kind of quarterback that's careful with the ball and don't turn it over. If Lindsey thinks that Orton's is all of sudden going start being more aggressive in his decision making I disagree.

TXBRONC
02-10-2010, 03:25 PM
I honestly thought the entire coaching staff for the Saints should have gotten the MVP for the Super Bowl. The Colts were clearly out coached and out schemed. The agressive calls were timed perfectly as were the passive calls. It was a perfect blend on both sides of the ball and kept the Colts off balance for a majority of the game.

I'm one of the fans who feels our offense was way too conservative and predictable in 2009. It was painful and fustrating to watch. In 2010 I hope we are not only more aggresive with our play calls on offense but also make better use of the talent we have in being more aggresive.

I think this begs the question "Why was the play calling so conservative?"

dogfish
02-10-2010, 03:55 PM
super bowl lesson #3-- get lucky, and everyone will call you a genius!