PDA

View Full Version : We've Signed Marlon McCree

TXBRONC
03-08-2008, 08:49 PM
I was out picking up supper and heard on ESPN radio that Denver has also signed Marlon McCree. Right now I can't verify it beyond that but I am sure that's John Clayton said on his radio program this evening.

underrated29
03-08-2008, 08:52 PM
so now we got two safteys

TXBRONC
03-08-2008, 08:53 PM
so now we got two safteys

I guess so.

TXBRONC
03-08-2008, 08:58 PM
I can verify it now.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/mar/08/broncos-beef-defense-sign-mccree-and-marquand/

Broncos beef up defense, sign McCree and Manuel
By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Originally published 06:48 p.m., March 8, 2008
Updated 06:48 p.m., March 8, 2008
Scratch safety off the Denver Broncos’ wish list.

The team dipped into the free-agent pool twice Saturday, signing a pair of veteran players, Marlon McCree and Marquand Manuel.

The moves at worst are a hedge against a weak draft crop at the position and adds depth to a shallow defensive spot on the roster.

But both McCree and Manuel have extensive starting experience and have been assured they’ll get shots to break into the lineup, too.

McCree is a strong safety and should compete with John Lynch for playing time. Manuel will challenge relatively untested Hamza Abdullah at the free-safety position.

Terms of McCree’s deal weren’t immediately available. But Manuel got $4.5 million over three years with $500,000 guaranteed. The total package could swell by another $1.5 million based on playing time incentives.

The Broncos have now addressed two of their weakest spots via the open market, as they try to fix the league’s 30th-ranked rush defense. The club earlier signed Niko Koutouvides and Boss Bailey to buttress the linebacker position.

Manuel, 28, has played 91 games in six NFL seasons with Cincinnati, Seattle, Green Bay and Carolina. His best season came in 2006 with 81 tackles for the Packers.

McCree, 30, has played 30 games over the last two seasons for the San Diego Chargers. He started his career with Jacksonville in 2001, moving to Jacksonville, Houston and Carolina before settling in with the Chargers. He has 421 total tackles in 106 career games.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Shanny...you now have my attention.

NameUsedBefore
03-08-2008, 09:01 PM
I like this move. Gives competition with a bit of security because McCree aint half-bad...

claymore
03-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Sweet, This is why I was checking in, hoping to see this. Im happy with our signings thus far. DL has been a need, but it seems like we are avoiding problem children which I like.

dogfish
03-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Terms of McCree’s deal weren’t immediately available. But Manuel got $4.5 million over three years with $500,000 guaranteed. The total package could swell by another $1.5 million based on playing time incentives.

i know six million dollars would make my package swell. . . .

Dreadnought
03-08-2008, 09:05 PM
More solid moves, made without breaking the bank. Well done

UnderArmour
03-08-2008, 09:07 PM
I finally feel pretty good about our defense heading into the draft. We can focus on DT and offense now in the draft.

shank
03-08-2008, 09:13 PM
i am really glad to see this.

i thought the signing of manuel meant that we were out of the mccree game.

mccree can be an effective starter and i feel he strengthens our secondary.

i agree that now we are 2 good DTs away from having a pretty solid defense for 08. (see mock draft below ;))

Bronco9798
03-08-2008, 09:14 PM
I like it. Great to see some good competition this year at the safety position. These are two pretty good moves.

str8jacket
03-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Strange. Where did all the moaning and groaning go from...oh 3 or 4 days ago when we had barely signed anybody?

Alot less doom and gloom now, huh?

Another fine example on why people need to chill OUT

SmilinAssasSin27
03-08-2008, 09:19 PM
at least Hamza will actually have to earn any PT he gets this year.

shank
03-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Strange. Where did all the moaning and groaning go from...oh 3 or 4 days ago when we had barely signed anybody?

lol, very true. my doom and gloom rants were about our complete disregard of the DT situation...

with the offseason going as it has, shanny has set up a situation where he can really focus on offense and DT. let's just hope he follows through.

yardog
03-08-2008, 09:22 PM
I think Rod Coleman could help us at DT. Besides RC who's still out there at DT that could help us?

Bronco4ever
03-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Good cheap signings. Now if we can get some competent DT's in either free agency or the draft, I think it'll be an improved D. This makes the draft that much easier on us. In Shanny, we trust.

shank
03-08-2008, 09:34 PM
I think Rod Coleman could help us at DT. Besides RC who's still out there at DT thats could help us?

tripplett, mcfarland, grady jackson, william joseph, langston moore... not a great group.

dewayne robertson still needs to be handled in some way by the jets, hopefully he gets cut, and his price is low because of the failed trade..

other wise, get at a couple DTs in the draft...

yardog
03-08-2008, 09:38 PM
tripplett, mcfarland, grady jackson, william joseph, langston moore... not a great group.

dewayne robertson still needs to be handled in some way by the jets, hopefully he gets cut, and his price is low because of the failed trade..

Maybe we still pickup one of these guys before it's all said and done.

TXBRONC
03-08-2008, 09:57 PM

Just a wee bit less moaning and groaning str8jacket. ;)

TXBRONC
03-08-2008, 09:59 PM

Do you really think the Jets would cut him? The guy seems to have quite a bit of value to him.

str8jacket
03-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Just a wee bit less moaning and groaning str8jacket. ;)

I give it a week, then someone will find something else to complain about.

TXBRONC
03-08-2008, 10:02 PM
I give it a week, then someone will find something else to complain about.

:laugh: Yep I don't doubt it.

TXBRONC
03-08-2008, 10:05 PM
i know six million dollars would make my package swell. . . .

Way more information than I need to know Dog. :lol:

shank
03-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Do you really think the Jets would cut him? The guy seems to have quite a bit of value to him.

if he refuses to restructure and no one will trade for him they have no other choice... i'd still like to have him on the broncos.

i doubt it will come to him being cut, but stranger things have happened and the possibility is there...

DenverBronkHoes
03-08-2008, 11:03 PM
i have mixed feelings on Mcree... I dont know what to think really....

makes me wonder what kind of moves we are going to make on draft day now.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
03-08-2008, 11:16 PM
do not know much about either of these guys hmmmm

I have heard of McCree before I don't know I guess this means we probably will not draft a safety with that 12 pick or maybe we'll trade down or something

CoachChaz
03-08-2008, 11:16 PM
Marcus must be the forgotten man.

Watchthemiddle
03-08-2008, 11:18 PM
This is now really setting up for us to either draft DT or RB with #12.

shank
03-08-2008, 11:20 PM

i agree. he has really limited our defensive needs down to a DT or 3, and the value at 12 is high if we go RB. i like it a lot.

(of course all of this means we are going to draft a WR lol)

TXBRONC
03-08-2008, 11:21 PM

I don't think offensive line is out of the question either.

CoachChaz
03-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Offensive line is the number one priority IMO. If Cutler gts killed...the team is screwed regardless of how good the defense is.

Watchthemiddle
03-08-2008, 11:26 PM

Oh yeah....that too...:laugh:

But, do we really think Shanahan will spend a #1 on O line?

shank
03-08-2008, 11:27 PM

it's not out of the question, but we won't know if shanny's press-conference confidence in Harris and Pears was honest or if it was all smokescreen.

i hope it was honest, as i'd hate to think we "wasted" a 3rd round pick on harris. lepsis was an undrafted TE, as a 3rd rounder harris should be a pro-bowler here in denver!

shank
03-08-2008, 11:28 PM
But, do we really think Shanahan will spend a #1 on O line?

wonder if foster left too bad a taste in his mouth to try it again. get a RB shanny, lol stick with what you actually know.

TXBRONC
03-08-2008, 11:36 PM
it's not out of the question, but we won't know if shanny's press-conference confidence in Harris and Pears was honest or if it was all smokescreen.

i hope it was honest, as i'd hate to think we "wasted" a 3rd round pick on harris. lepsis was an undrafted TE, as a 3rd rounder harris should be a pro-bowler here in denver!

I'm thinking of it from the prespective of not knowing if Hamilton and Nalen will actually be able to return for the '08 season. The last I heard they are both expected back what will they have left.

TXBRONC
03-08-2008, 11:41 PM
wonder if foster left too bad a taste in his mouth to try it again. get a RB shanny, lol stick with what you actually know.

I don't know I hear that Clady is worthy of first round grade but is taking him at 12 to high in the draft?

The only problem with drafting an offensive tackle is they more than likely wont make much of an impact their first year.

broncohead
03-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Offensive line is the number one priority IMO. If Cutler gts killed...the team is screwed regardless of how good the defense is.

Drafting an OL in the 1st doesn't garentee a solid starter ex. Foster. If Cutler goes down whether we have a good line or not we are screwed. IMO Cutler takes to many risks to put falt on the OL if he goes down. I remember on a couple of plays Cutler was lead blocking or he wouldn't slide when about to get tackled. That **** scares the **** out of me. But thats how he plays. With heart. We do a decent job of drafting late round OL that can come in and contribute. I'm not against drafting an OL in the first but it's not a top priority.

broncohead
03-08-2008, 11:45 PM
Now on topic. I think that these two safeties are patch work for a few more years. We are going to have average at best safety play for the next few years. Hopefully we can grab a playmaker next year at safety.

shank
03-08-2008, 11:45 PM
I don't know I hear that Clady is worthy of first round grade but is taking him at 12 to high in the draft?

The only problem with drafting an offensive tackle is they more than likely wont make much of an impact their first year.

he's worth the pick, but i believe it's starting to look like clady will be gone before 12. the chiefs are supposedly high on him and could take him with the 5th pick if long is gone.

TXBRONC
03-08-2008, 11:48 PM
he's worth the pick, but i believe it's starting to look like clady will be gone before 12. the chiefs are supposedly high on him and could take him with the 5th pick if long is gone.

Is it possible for Jake Long to fall about the all the way 10?

dogfish
03-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Is possible for Jake Long to fall about the all the way 10?

nope. . . not unless he gets caught with a kilo of smack and a dead hooker in his trunk between now and draft day. . .

slim
03-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Drafting an OL in the 1st doesn't garentee a solid starter ex. Foster. If Cutler goes down whether we have a good line or not we are screwed. IMO Cutler takes to many risks to put falt on the OL if he goes down. I remember on a couple of plays Cutler was lead blocking or he wouldn't slide when about to get tackled. That **** scares the **** out of me. But thats how he plays. With heart. We do a decent job of drafting late round OL that can come in and contribute. I'm not against drafting an OL in the first but it's not a top priority.

You can say that about any position.

shank
03-09-2008, 12:02 AM
You can say that about any position.

you can say anything about anything :lol:;)

slim
03-09-2008, 12:03 AM
you can say anything about anything :lol:;)

Not really, the PC idiots will jump down your throat.

TXBRONC
03-09-2008, 12:04 AM
nope. . . not unless he gets caught with a kilo of smack and a dead hooker in his trunk between now and draft day. . .

Well if that's what it would take then I don't if Shanahan would even roll the dice on that one.

CoachChaz
03-09-2008, 12:05 AM

I'm tired of hearing that DT is the top priority. NO ONE knows what Thomas is capable of in a system that actually suits his style of play.

If Cutler gets hurt blocking or running around or not sliding, that's understandable. But when he gets blind-sided and knocked out of a game or more...we have a problem. We have more faith in Pears and Harris protecting our top player than we do in Thomas doing better in a standard defensive system? I sure as hell hope not

shank
03-09-2008, 12:08 AM
Not really, the PC idiots will jump down your throat.

that's a good setup for a lot of jokes that would probably get me banned... i'll avoid them.

i'm just glad to have some safeties that can play, and add competition to the position. get a young stud next year, focus this year on DT and the offense.

shank
03-09-2008, 12:11 AM
I'm tired of hearing that DT is the top priority. NO ONE knows what Thomas is capable of in a system that actually suits his style of play.

If Cutler gets hurt blocking or running around or not sliding, that's understandable. But when he gets blind-sided and knocked out of a game or more...we have a problem. We have more faith in Pears and Harris protecting our top player than we do in Thomas doing better in a standard defensive system? I sure as hell hope not

i kinda do... pears played very well as a rookie at left tackle, and harris is a 3rd round pick in a system where draft status doesn't really apply... Thomas is good, but the problem is that you need more than 1 DT, and we are not even sure if we have 1 yet.

If the coaches feel that harris can play, then OT isn't our top priority. If they don't believe he can protect cutler, then it is... we can't know how high of a priority it is as fans, because we haven't seen much from harris that the coaches have in practices. we CAN however say as fans that we have a big hole at DT.

BigCurly1230
03-09-2008, 12:11 AM
We need a legitimate #2 for Cutler to throw to...
I think we will be ok picking up some depth at O-Line with our 4th rd picks...
Should be some playmakers in the 1st and 2nd rounds

slim
03-09-2008, 12:14 AM
i kinda do... pears played very well as a rookie at left tackle, and harris is a 3rd round pick in a system where draft status doesn't really apply... Thomas is good, but the problem is that you need more than 1 DT, and we are not even sure if we have 1 yet.

If the coaches feel that harris can play, then OT isn't our top priority. If they don't believe he can protect cutler, then it is... we can't know how high of a priority it is as fans, because we haven't seen much from harris that the coaches have in practices. we CAN however say as fans that we have a big hole at DT.

Maybe, but we have two question marks at OT and (maybe) two at DT. I think it is a wash.

Lonestar
03-09-2008, 12:19 AM

The issue is rarely does a WR have any real impact in their rookie year .. In DEN offense it is a even less likely having to learn the playbook and how to block.. so that is an non starter

It is not unheard of to have a rookie OT come in and start.. The Colts were impressed enough to have one watch Manning's backside just last year..

DT is the issue for this team IF we are unable to get one that will make an impact all the rest of the moves so far this off season MEANS Nothing..

BigCurly1230
03-09-2008, 12:36 AM
The issue is rarely does a WR have any real impact in their rookie year .. In DEN offense it is a even less likely having to learn the playbook and how to block.. so that is an non starter

It is not unheard of to have a rookie OT come in and start.. The Colts were impressed enough to have one watch Manning's backside just last year..

DT is the issue for this team IF we are unable to get one that will make an impact all the rest of the moves so far this off season MEANS Nothing..

Agreed for the most part...

We most definetly need a DT ...if we could trade up to get dorsey or ellis that would be superb...

There have been plenty of rookie WR come out and contribute right away...ex : Larry Fitzgerald ,Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss

Lets just hope Colbert comes in and post as a reliable #2 from B.Marsh

Lonestar
03-09-2008, 12:41 AM

We most definetly need a DT ...if we could trade up to get dorsey or ellis that would be superb...

There have been plenty of rookie WR come out and contribute right away...ex : Larry Fitzgerald ,Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss

But not in a mikey offense which is infinitely more complex than those of Ariz and Minny. Do not remember Calvin Johnson doing anything..

It is unlikely that we will be able to move up high enough to get either..

fcspikeit
03-09-2008, 12:41 AM
I can verify it now.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/mar/08/broncos-beef-defense-sign-mccree-and-marquand/

Originally published 06:48 p.m., March 8, 2008

The team dipped into the free-agent pool twice Saturday, signing a pair of veteran players, Marlon McCree and Marquand Manuel.

The moves at worst are a hedge against a weak draft crop at the position and adds depth to a shallow defensive spot on the roster.

But both McCree and Manuel have extensive starting experience and have been assured they’ll get shots to break into the lineup, too.

McCree is a strong safety and should compete with John Lynch for playing time. Manuel will challenge relatively untested Hamza Abdullah at the free-safety position.

The Broncos have now addressed two of their weakest spots via the open market, as they try to fix the league’s 30th-ranked rush defense. The club earlier signed Niko Koutouvides and Boss Bailey to buttress the linebacker position.

Manuel, 28, has played 91 games in six NFL seasons with Cincinnati, Seattle, Green Bay and Carolina. His best season came in 2006 with 81 tackles for the Packers.

McCree, 30, has played 30 games over the last two seasons for the San Diego Chargers. He started his career with Jacksonville in 2001, moving to Jacksonville, Houston and Carolina before settling in with the Chargers. He has 421 total tackles in 106 career games.

:wave: KP

Brand
03-09-2008, 12:47 AM
Ya know, the Broncos are putting together the makings of a fair team.....

slim
03-09-2008, 12:49 AM
Ya know, the Broncos are putting together the makings of a fair team.....

Not yet, we need some big uglies.

shank
03-09-2008, 12:54 AM

i'm sorry, but to use 3 of the best WR prospects ever in draft history as you example is ridiculous...

it is very rare that wide receivers come in as a rookie and play at a high level.

DenBronx
03-09-2008, 01:06 AM
with an ageing lynch im sure mccree will see alot of time. our secondary has the potential to be dangerous this year. with a healthy jarvis moss and ekuban coming back id like to see us draft a couple of good dt's. i was wanting a dt with pick 12 but now with the additions of niko,boss and mccree i am leaning towards bpa. that would probablly be a rb. i think mcfadden will fall and mendenhall and stewart will both be there.

BigCurly1230
03-09-2008, 03:07 AM
i'm sorry, but to use 3 of the best WR prospects ever in draft history as you example is ridiculous...

it is very rare that wide receivers come in as a rookie and play at a high level.

I dont think these 3 are the best draft prospects in history...
that is a pretty bold statement.
Of course that is just one mans opinion.
I wasnt talking about coming in and being a SUPERSTAR...I was talking about getting a reliable #2 to compliment Brandon Marshall...
The main reason I took those 3 examples is because if we drafted a WR in the 1st or 2nd we could get top talent such as those I mentioned.
but to better suit YOUR needs how about some new examples.....
EX:Lee Evans ,Greg Jennings ,Ashley Lelie
all decent numbers in there rookie season....if you did your research the first examples I gave you were pretty similiar in their rookie seasons number wise.
(with the exception to Moss)
I think you missed my point all together. I never said we need someone to come in and be a SUPERSTAR their rookie season.
We just need a nice compliment to B.Marsh

shank
03-09-2008, 03:16 AM
I dont think these 3 are the best draft prospects in history...
that is a pretty bold statement.
Of course that is just one mans opinion.
I wasnt talking about coming in and being a SUPERSTAR...I was talking about getting a reliable #2 to compliment Brandon Marshall...
The main reason I took those 3 examples is because if we drafted a WR in the 1st or 2nd we could get top talent such as those I mentioned.
but to better suit YOUR needs how about some new examples.....
EX:Lee Evans ,Greg Jennings ,Ashley Lelie
all decent numbers in there rookie season....if you did your research the first examples I gave you were pretty similiar in their rookie seasons number wise.
(with the exception to Moss)
I think you missed my point all together. I never said we need someone to come in and be a SUPERSTAR their rookie season.
We just need a nice compliment to B.Marsh

i didn't say they were the 3 best draft prospects in history. please don't criticize me for missing your point when you can't even read mine.

i said they were 3 of the best wr prospects ever, and they were your example for why we should take a WR in the 1st round. no receiver in this years draft is highly touted. I don't even know if there are any with a true 1st round grade...

i wil give you that lee evans and greg jennings are better examples, but i will also point out that you can find 3 examples of almost ANYTHING that has to do with the NFL. just because you can find examples does not make it the norm, especially when you're talking about wide receivers, and ESPECIALLY when you're talking about any wide receiver drafted by mike shanahan not named brandon marshall.

BigCurly1230
03-09-2008, 03:23 AM

I wasnt criticizing anyone...

please dont say my examples are rediculous...

I'm sorry I missed the "of"

BigCurly1230
03-09-2008, 03:36 AM
i didn't say they were the 3 best draft prospects in history. please don't criticize me for missing your point when you can't even read mine.

i said they were 3 of the best wr prospects ever, and they were your example for why we should take a WR in the 1st round. no receiver in this years draft is highly touted. I don't even know if there are any with a true 1st round grade...

i wil give you that lee evans and greg jennings are better examples, but i will also point out that you can find 3 examples of almost ANYTHING that has to do with the NFL. just because you can find examples does not make it the norm, especially when you're talking about wide receivers, and ESPECIALLY when you're talking about any wide receiver drafted by mike shanahan not named brandon marshall.

This is a moot point...
The only way I would agree to take a WR in the first is if we traded down.
I agree with you that our draft day history with WR's hasnt been great.
We have to get a WR sometime ...I dont think Colbert is going to cut it as #2....and I'm pretty sure majority of our fellow posters agree..
I agree we need O-line help protecting Jay ..however outside of jake long everyone one else is pretty equal

Stargazer
03-09-2008, 04:20 AM
Just wondering. Did Denver sign Marlon McCree or was it speculation?

TXBRONC
03-09-2008, 07:29 AM

That hasn't been true of Denver offensive lineman because the scheme we run. As you know it takes about a year for them to get the timing down.

TXBRONC
03-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Just wondering. Did Denver sign Marlon McCree or was it speculation?

It's not speculation the Broncos did sign him yesterday along with Manuel.

NorthernLights
03-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Having watched McCree over the last couple of years, you will like him as a solid player. He is past his prime at 30, but still has at least two good years left and maybe more. Personally, I think Lynch is twice the player so you will see a difference when McCree is playing.

He is rarely out of position and is a great leader on the field. He got tabbed as a dirty player which isn't true. He will make some big hits, break up a few passes, and may even haul in a pass or two.

Overall, a very good signing for your team.

claymore
03-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Having watched McCree over the last couple of years, you will like him as a solid player. He is past his prime at 30, but still has at least two good years left and maybe more. Personally, I think Lynch is twice the player so you will see a difference when McCree is playing.

He is rarely out of position and is a great leader on the field. He got tabbed as a dirty player which isn't true. He will make some big hits, break up a few passes, and may even haul in a pass or two.

As always pretty Classy NTL's. Im pretty happy about the signing. Lynch, I love him, but he is starting to be a liability IMO.

Fan in Exile
03-09-2008, 07:52 AM

There's more than three examples of WR who have done a good job. It happens every year, you just have to ask yourself if you believe the guy we're picking will be that guy. At the same time I think every one who is making their picks based on who is going to make an impact in this year is on a different page than the FO.

Marques Colston
Reggie Brown
Michael Clayton
Anquan Boldin
Antonio Bryant
Chris Chambers
Peter Warrick
Kevin Johnson
Randy Moss
Rae Carruth
Terry Glenn
Joey Galloway
Darnay Scott
James Jett
Arthur Marshall
Lawrence Dawsey
Fred Barnett
Hart Lee Dykes
Brian Blades
Ricky Nattiel
Bill Brooks
Eddie Brown
Louis Lipps
Willie Gault
Charlie Brown
Cris Collinsworth
Art Monk
Jerry Butler
John Jefferson
Wesley Walker
Sammy White
Alfred Jenkins
Nat Moore
Isaac Curtis
Mike Siani
Randy Vataha
Ron Shanklin

TXBRONC
03-09-2008, 08:52 AM

30 usually isn't consider old for a safety.

keithbishop
03-09-2008, 09:12 AM
30 usually isn't consider old for a safety.

Especially when the 30 year old is replacing 33 year old Nick Ferguson. McCree turns 31 in 8 days, but still an upgrade.

Signing McCree puts an end to speculation the Broncos were back in Plan B Free Agency, doesn't it?

turftoad
03-09-2008, 09:47 AM

No there haven't. The guys you just listed are the exceptions.

turftoad
03-09-2008, 09:54 AM
For the $$ these were good signings.

They are average players at best.

McCree lost his starting job in SD and Manuel is a journeyman that has many teams under his belt.
I do like the signings as we need competition and depth at saftey. As I said, I like them for the money. We didn't over pay.
They are not the long term answers by any means.

jrelway
03-09-2008, 09:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTk0_N-RH0E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfkByXGfNRg

hope we see alot of these hits this year.

Rick
03-09-2008, 10:06 AM
They are not superstars by anymeans but they are good players.

While in a perfect world it would be nice to be great at every position it just is not realistic.

Atleast with these signings it means we can go in a different direction then safety this year's draft and maybe next as we try and fix other positions then next year or year after can look to safty in the draft.

NorthernLights
03-09-2008, 10:27 AM

The first video, he is early and got flagged for it. He knocked TJ into the LB's knee which KO'd him (more initials?). Dierdork was totally wrong about it being dirty. He wasn't even fined for the hit.

The second video was textbook and saved the game for the Bolts. Wayne makes that catch more times than not, but McCree cracked him hard enough to knock the ball out. Great play.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Thanx for the updates

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
03-09-2008, 01:20 PM

dewayne robertson...

is a bengal

turftoad
03-09-2008, 01:22 PM
is a bengal

No he's not. The trade didn't go down because Robertson wouldn't restructure his contract.
He's still a Jet. For now.

Retired_Member_001
03-09-2008, 01:51 PM
I'm happy to see this deal go through. Marlon McCree is a solid safety, a guy who is an upgrade over whoever is there at the moment.

A big plus for McCree is that he gets 2 games a year to try and knock Philip Rivers out.

tubby
03-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Remember when McCree went comicozie on Whosyourmommas mellon? Nice hit.

:salute:

Hoshdude7
03-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Charger fans do not speak highly of him.
http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=54725&page=14

NorthernLights
03-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Remember when McCree went comicozie on Whosyourmommas mellon? Nice hit.

:salute:

Um, see my post above regarding the youtube videos. He went shoulder to shoulder and did not lead with his helmet as Dierdorf suggested. It was early, but it wasn't dirty.

BroncoAV06
03-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Well you can not just look at the age, it comes down to playing speed, how he will react on the field this year. That was the knock on Lynch not being able to cover and react to anything behind him, definitly think it will be an interesting battle at the saftey spots. Seasoned vets giving 100% to get the job is definitly not a bad thing as long as it translates to solid play on the field.

NorthernLights
03-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Charger fans do not speak highly of him.
http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=54725&page=14

I read through many of those and I don't necessarily agree with most of them. I think it's a collective case of sour grapes since he signed with the Broncos. If he would have signed with Buffalo, the talk wouldn't be so harsh.

shank
03-09-2008, 03:25 PM
is a bengal

No he's not. The trade didn't go down because Robertson wouldn't restructure his contract.

dewayne is indeed still a jet. but toad, there were also rumors of a knee problem developing with robertson, which if true only hurt his value. if there is a problem, it hasn't manifested itself in his play yet, and maybe some proactive treatment can make that never happen. i would still like to take a chance with him if we can get him for cheap or if the jets cut him.

shank
03-09-2008, 03:57 PM
There's more than three examples of WR who have done a good job. It happens every year, you just have to ask yourself if you believe the guy we're picking will be that guy. At the same time I think every one who is making their picks based on who is going to make an impact in this year is on a different page than the FO.

working with the law of averages, we can pretty safely say that if he's a wide receiver, and he's coming to denver, he won't turn out to be that guy...

i realize there are lots of guys who have come in and played well as rookies for their team, but because others have done it doesn't mean you will do the same, especially when you've been so historically terrible at getting wrs in the draft.

i don't even disagree with what curly said, i just trying to point out that his examples did very little towards reasonably supporting the point he was trying to make.

(psst. didn't darius watts and ashley lelie have a really promising first seasons?)

(i'm just saying, things seem to work a little differently here in denver...)

lex
03-09-2008, 04:29 PM

OK, we have Scheffler and Stokley. And also when you look at our past luck at drafting WRs, we took Nash, Watts and Lelie all higher than where we got Marshall. I can see us taking a WR but I wouldnt hold my breath for one in the 1st or 2nd...I could be wrong though. Shanahan has shocked me before.

shank
03-09-2008, 04:36 PM
OK, we have Scheffler and Stokley. And also when you look at our past luck at drafting WRs, we took Nash, Watts and Lelie all higher than where we got Marshall. I can see us taking a WR but I wouldnt hold my breath for one in the 1st or 2nd...I could be wrong though. Shanahan has shocked me before.

i wouldn't hold my breath that we take one, but i DEFINITELY won't be holding my breath that if we do take one, he turns out to be any good:tsk:

lex
03-09-2008, 04:43 PM
i wouldn't hold my breath that we take one, but i DEFINITELY won't be holding my breath that if we do take one, he turns out to be any good:tsk:

Yeah, when I look at the WR depth in the draft, theres nothing in the 2nd that I like THAT much more than some of the guys in the 3rd or 4th.

TXBRONC
03-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Especially when the 30 year old is replacing 33 year old Nick Ferguson. McCree turns 31 in 8 days, but still an upgrade.

Signing McCree puts an end to speculation the Broncos were back in Plan B Free Agency, doesn't it?

Actually Keith according to an article in yesterday's RMN McCree would be Lynch's back up because he's a strong safety and Manuel will get a chance to beat out Abdullah for the free safety position.

BigCurly1230
03-09-2008, 04:49 PM

Scheff is a TE and Stokley belongs in the slot ...

apparently I'm the only one around here that feels like we have a void at #2 so like I said earlier...its a moot point..

However...
We cant go on forever relying on FA and trades to beef up our WR corps.

lex
03-09-2008, 04:51 PM

apparently I'm the only one around here that feels like we have a void at #2 so like I said earlier...its a moot point..

However...

The true #2 is actually who he throws to. And it seems most likely that when Stokley or Scheffler are on the field both of them will be more a likely target than whoever we may draft.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-09-2008, 04:54 PM
The true #2 is actually who he throws to. And it seems most likely that when Stokley or Scheffler are on the field both of them will be more a likely target than whoever we may draft.

I wouldn't say all that. If we go WR at #12 I could see Sweed or Kelly getting the rock their fair share. A large, athletic #2 WR will create plenty of mismatches...especially since BMarsh will see plenty of attention and cheats.

keithbishop
03-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Actually Keith according to an article in yesterday's RMN McCree would be Lynch's back up because he's a strong safety and Manuel will get a chance to beat out Abdullah for the free safety position.

Manuel is even younger, so the result is the same. I'm sure all four will get quite a bit of PT. Just glad to see Shanahan pay attention to S.

TXBRONC
03-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Manuel is even younger, so the result is the same. I'm sure all four will get quite a bit of PT. Just glad to see Shanahan pay attention to S.

Absolutely and by signing these two guys that's one less need to have and try and fill via the draft.

lex
03-09-2008, 04:58 PM
I wouldn't say all that. If we go WR at #12 I could see Sweed or Kelly getting the rock their fair share. A large, athletic #2 WR will create plenty of mismatches...especially since BMarsh will see plenty of attention and cheats.

Im just saying a guy isnt a #2 simply by lining up at wideout. Rather, he is the #2 by being the QBs second option and that is revealed by who Cutler throws to most (aside from Marshall). If we were to draft Sweed he might see more passes but maybe not...and right now Cutler, Scheffler and Marshall are in Atlanta working on their rapport. It just seems too likely that the trust factor Cutler has with Stokley and Scheffler is too strong. And like I said, WR in the 1st has been extremely hit or miss with us.

BigCurly1230
03-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Yeah, when I look at the WR depth in the draft, theres nothing in the 2nd that I like THAT much more than some of the guys in the 3rd or 4th.

There are plenty of guys slotted to go in the first....and a few would serve as great compliments

Malcolm Kelly
(6'4", 217, 4.5)

Limas Sweed
(6'4", 212, 4.45)

James Hardy
(6'5", 218, 4.58)

They of course all have the size and speed...
and of course...

DeSean Jackson
(6'0", 179, 4.33)

definetly has the speed!

lex
03-09-2008, 05:00 PM
There are plenty of guys slotted to go in the first....and a few would serve as great compliments

Malcolm Kelly
(6'4", 217, 4.5)

Limas Sweed
(6'4", 212, 4.45)

James Hardy
(6'5", 218, 4.58)

They of course all have the size and speed...
and of course...

DeSean Jackson
(6'0", 179, 4.33)

definetly has the speed!

See my previous post.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-09-2008, 05:00 PM
I think our O is gonna be nasty this year. I think OT is improved already (if not fixed) and I think Henry will play a bigger role. We must get beter in red zone though. One reason I like Kuper at OT...and why I like Otah in the draft at #12 if we go OT.

TXBRONC
03-09-2008, 05:05 PM

However...

BC I think a lot of people have the same view that we still need another starting receiver. Maybe Colbert is that guy but I certainly understand anyone having doubts about him being the other starting wide receiver.

BigCurly1230
03-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Im just saying a guy isnt a #2 simply by lining up at wideout. Rather, he is the #2 by being the QBs second option and that is revealed by who Cutler throws to most (aside from Marshall). If we were to draft Sweed he might see more passes but maybe not...and right now Cutler, Scheffler and Marshall are in Atlanta working on their rapport. It just seems too likely that the trust factor Cutler has with Stokley and Scheffler is too strong. And like I said, WR in the 1st has been extremely hit or miss with us.

I see your point but you are missing mine...

We cant make it the whole season running 2 TE sets..
we will get murdered for sure!

by #2 I mean exactly what you are avoiding ..someone to line up opposite of Brandon Marshall...
Not who Cutler prefers to throw to ..... #2 on the depth chart

Lonestar
03-09-2008, 05:08 PM

Have not seen a great hit yet..

lex
03-09-2008, 05:10 PM
I see your point but you are missing mine...

We cant make it the whole season running 2 TE sets..
we will get murdered for sure!

by #2 I mean exactly what you are avoiding ..someone to line up opposite of Brandon Marshall...
Not who Cutler prefers to throw to ..... #2 on the depth chart

I saw your point and I realize that there are formations where neither Stokley (ideally) or Scheffler would be on the field. But if the WR isnt the true #2 option, does it really make sense to take a WR at 12...for that kind of marginal production?

Let me put it this way. If our leader board on receptions looks like this, then its probably not worth taking a WR at 12:

Marshall 103 catches
Scheffler 72 catches
Stokley 58 catches
Sweed 52 catches

And I can easily see this happening.

BigCurly1230
03-09-2008, 05:22 PM
I saw your point and I realize that there are formations where neither Stokley (ideally) or Scheffler would be on the field. But if the WR isnt the true #2 option, does it really make sense to take a WR at 12...for that kind of marginal production?

We wouldnt be able to tell if he would be a true #2 until he gets in here...
that is a risk we would have to take.
I understand everyones fear..I have been a Broncos fan my whole life.
We can not rely on FA and trades forever to beef up our WR corps.
Lets just hope the rumored trade for Roy Williams will happen

TXBRONC
03-09-2008, 05:23 PM

Let me put it this way. If our leader board on receptions looks like this, then its probably not worth taking a WR at 12:

Marshall 103 catches
Scheffler 72 catches
Stokley 58 catches
Sweed 52 catches

And I can easily see this happening.

I think there is a difference between being the second option on a pass play and being second on the team in reception.

Scarface
03-09-2008, 06:02 PM

In that case Devin Thomas is the guy we want.

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
03-09-2008, 06:24 PM

really. i didnt know that.

TXBRONC
03-09-2008, 06:35 PM
really. i didnt know that.

Well now you can't say that anymore ABD. :D

shank
03-09-2008, 07:05 PM
In that case Devin Thomas is the guy we want.

if you want mismatches, james hardy is our man.

we'd be unstoppable in the redzone, with fade routes alone!

BOSSHOGG30
03-09-2008, 07:08 PM
Malcom Kelly probably has the best hands in the entire class. If we are going with a WR in the 1st round.... He and Limas Sweed are the only guys I take. Devin Thomas and James Hardy would be sweet pickups in the 2nd round if they are still there.

shank
03-09-2008, 07:10 PM
Malcom Kelly probably has the best hands in the entire class. If we are going with a WR in the 1st round.... He and Limas Sweed are the only guys I take. Devin Thomas and James Hardy would be sweet pickups in the 2nd round if they are still there.

that's what i'm thinking. the first (unless we trade back to late in the first) is too early for either hardy or thomas.

before the combine, i liked kelly the most, but sweed looked great in all the workouts and i hadn't seen him play in college, so they both look pretty good.

whereabouts has maningham let himself drop to? do you think his bad combine has him below thomas and hardy now?

BOSSHOGG30
03-09-2008, 07:12 PM
that's what i'm thinking. the first (unless we trade back to late in the first) is too early for either hardy or thomas.

before the combine, i liked kelly the most, but sweed looked great in all the workouts and i hadn't seen him play in college, so they both look pretty good.

whereabouts has maningham let himself drop to? do you think his bad combine has him below thomas and hardy now?

I thin Manningham will fall to the later 2nd or 3rd. I don't see him dropping to the 4th or beyond.

broncosfanscott
03-09-2008, 07:50 PM

I like players that hit hard I just hope he stops with the early/late hits that he has been flagged and fined for. I know some Charger fans that were surprised that we got him. I am not totally sold on McCree, however if he can improve our secondary and play smart then I will be happy. None of those flagged hits at the wrong time.

Joel
03-12-2008, 08:07 AM

It turned into the same "Happy Days Are Here Again!" we heard at the end of the last free agency, when we'd "fixed everything". These are individual players, so until we see what each of them produces as a Bronco we should just wait and see. It's good that we signed in pairs at (sort of) the same position though, because there's less chance of both busting. Still no NT though, much less a backup, and depth at LB and safety will depend on how all four free agents perform. Still no LT in case Harris can't cut it and Pears hasn't improved since making his first starts there two years ago.

I'll wait and see what training camp, injuries, pre-season and the regular season do before I buy my Super Bowl tickets. ;-p

LRtagger
03-12-2008, 09:03 AM
I dont think anyone is expecting these guys to take us to the Super Bowl...but it is nice to finally see management making smart decisions instead of throwing money at the top FA's.

These guys will fill much needed glaring gaps from last season and should make us better (I dont see how our D could get worse from these signings). Plus we still have the draft to fill some holes and pick up players that can compete with some guys on our current roster.

It looks like we are moving in the right direction as a franchise. I dont think anyone believes we will be a dominant team this season, but we will be better.

Dean
03-12-2008, 11:03 AM
It turned into the same "Happy Days Are Here Again!" we heard at the end of the last free agency, when we'd "fixed everything". These are individual players, so until we see what each of them produces as a Bronco we should just wait and see. It's good that we signed in pairs at (sort of) the same position though, because there's less chance of both busting. Still no NT though, much less a backup, and depth at LB and safety will depend on how all four free agents perform. Still no LT in case Harris can't cut it and Pears hasn't improved since making his first starts there two years ago.

I'll wait and see what training camp, injuries, pre-season and the regular season do before I buy my Super Bowl tickets. ;-p

I agree that the question of if and how much our defense has been improved is still very much up in the air. With our returning starters (except Gold) and the pair of LBs and pair of safeties, I do feel that the correct course of action has been taken and depth is not a concern. Our D-ends have gained experience and an off season in the weight room. We re-signed Ekuban which I feel will be huge. :elefant: At tackle we need more help.

The D-tackle position remains a huge cause for concern. Even if we draft a great D-tackle or two, the learning curve is very steep at that position. How much help would the team see from a rookie? I am still hoping that the Jets release their 10 million dollar cap hit and we can get him signed for a fraction of that amount. One can only hope.

Shanahan sounds confident in Harris, Pears, and Kuper as our offensive tackles but there are definitely questions that remain to be answered at the position.

I am not expecting Super Bowl type improvement but barring a rash of major injuries I feel that the team has been improved.

TXBRONC
03-12-2008, 05:04 PM

The big differences between last off season and this one is that we bring in any players well past their prime nor 1st round bust from another team via trade. Our two new safeties are relatively young and have been solid players in the NFL, not great but solid. Our new SLB is also solid starter so I think we are safe with those guys. The only question mark on new players is our new MLB.

Those moves don't fix all the problems but as Dean said and I agree with it's a move in the right direction.

The Colbert move I don't know what to think of it. I tend to agree with those who think his signing was for depth purposes I don't know if he'll be a starter. I know he hasn't been real productive 3 out his 4 years in the League but maybe a change of scenery will help.

Joel
03-13-2008, 07:51 AM
I agree that the question of if and how much our defense has been improved is still very much up in the air. With our returning starters (except Gold) and the pair of LBs and pair of safeties, I do feel that the correct course of action has been taken and depth is not a concern. Our D-ends have gained experience and an off season in the weight room. We re-signed Ekuban which I feel will be huge. :elefant: At tackle we need more help.

The D-tackle position remains a huge cause for concern. Even if we draft a great D-tackle or two, the learning curve is very steep at that position. How much help would the team see from a rookie? I am still hoping that the Jets release their 10 million dollar cap hit and we can get him signed for a fraction of that amount. One can only hope.

Shanahan sounds confident in Harris, Pears, and Kuper as our offensive tackles but there are definitely questions that remain to be answered at the position.

I am not expecting Super Bowl type improvement but barring a rash of major injuries I feel that the team has been improved.
I actually like Pears and Kuper a lot, as I think you know; Harris remains largely an unknown for me because as someone who only follows the Pros I'm always suspicious of any highly touted Notre Dame rookie. Makes me laugh when I hear people talking about how he's already faced elite pass rushers; yeah, 'cos Boston College is EXACTLY the same as the Steelers or Pats....

Offensive tackle's a definite priority in this draft, but DT has to come first because we got mauled there the last two years. At the risk of reopening a can of worms, I think it's more likely Gerard Warren sacked Cutler for a safety because he had Warren Sapp next to him than because he was trying to earn a big pay day. I'm as psyched as I am surprised about getting Ekkie back because he and Doom have been about the only bright spots on the line the past few years. But until we get them a first class NT it won't matter, and unless we have three legit starting LBs any one of whom could get a sack on any given down it still won't matter much.

I feel better about safety now because Lynch and Ferguson won't play forever (and realistically we don't want them to do so; some people already think they're past their prime.... ) But my three top concerns: NT, MLB and LT, are still largely unaddressed.

claymore
03-13-2008, 10:05 AM
McCree is gone, not forgetting

By Kevin Acee
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
March 13, 2008
Union-Tribune

Marlon McCree will attend a charity dinner in Rancho Santa Fe on Sunday hosted by Denver Broncos safety John Lynch, next to whom McCree expects to start this season.
Marlon McCree will attend a charity dinner in Rancho Santa Fe on Sunday hosted by Denver Broncos safety John Lynch, next to whom McCree expects to start this season.
Sometime in the week or so after the dinner, McCree will head to Denver for his first offseason workout as a Bronco.

“I'm going to play for a Hall of Fame coach in Mike Shanahan and to play alongside a Hall of Fame safety and two Hall of Fame cornerbacks in Dre' Bly and Champ Bailey,” said McCree, who signed a one-year contract with the Broncos last week. “I have no reason to be bitter, and I'm not.”

Plus, McCree said, “A big part of my decision is I get to play the Chargers twice.”

McCree, released by the Chargers on Feb. 28 with three years remaining on his contract, is careful to not come across as resentful. But he clearly is discouraged by a perception he was a malcontent in his final season as a Charger.

He owns a home here and plans to marry soon and raise his family in San Diego.
And he is proud of his part in an improved Chargers pass defense – ranked 29th the season before he arrived as a free agent and then 13th and 14th in his two seasons in San Diego.

Particularly in 2006, teammates credited McCree with being an extra coach in meetings and during practices and games.

“I think my fingerprint is definitely on that secondary,” McCree said. “I brought leadership – having the ability to bring what was rumored to be a hostile group together, getting them to watch film and be in a system.”

McCree acknowledged he had trouble accepting the firing of Marty Schottenheimer and that he and first-year secondary coach Bill Bradley didn't see eye-to-eye. But he praised head coach Norv Turner and General Manager A.J. Smith.

He also praised Eric Weddle, the 2007 second-round draft pick who will replace him at free safety.

“He's going to be a great player,” McCree said.

When Weddle was drafted, McCree figured he and the kid would be playing beside each other for a few years.

“I thought it was going to be me and him,” McCree said. “But this is just a big business. Clinton Hart came on strong, and Clinton Hart is a lot cheaper ($2.765 million to $1 million in 2008 base salary). And Eric Weddle they gave up half their draft picks for. C'mon, I'm not dumb.”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080313-9999-1s13chargers.html

Watchthemiddle
03-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Plus, McCree said, “A big part of my decision is I get to play the Chargers twice.”

Nice!!

Sounds like he is fitting in nicely already.

I hope his "chip" rubs off on the rest of our defense. They ALL need to play with a chip on their shoulder.

xzn
03-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Nice!!

Sounds like he is fitting in nicely already.

I hope his "chip" rubs off on the rest of our defense. They ALL need to play with a chip on their shoulder.

Speaking of "chips"... I'd like to see him "chip" Phillip's teeth on a safety blitz!

broncosfanscott
03-13-2008, 11:21 PM
Speaking of "chips"... I'd like to see him "chip" Phillip's teeth on a safety blitz!

Me too. You know the Bronco players are going to have a "Hit Rivers really hard" meeting with him. :D

TXBRONC
03-14-2008, 07:22 AM
Me too. You know the Bronco players are going to have a "Hit Rivers really hard" meeting with him. :D

I really do hope our defense can put Rivers on the ground hard. I don't advocate them trying injury him but I wouldn't feel sorry for Rivers if our defense cleaned his clock.

sacmar
03-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Good news...