PDA

View Full Version : Shannon Sharpe thinks he'll end up in the Hall of Fame

T.K.O.
02-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Shannon Sharpe thinks he'll end up in the Hall of Fame
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 9, 2010 3:36 PM ET
Former Broncos and Ravens tight end Shannon Sharpe wasn't selected for the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday. But he thinks he's getting in eventually.

Speaking on 1510 The Score in Denver, Sharpe first congratulated the seven men who were chosen for enshrinement, and then said he believes it will happen for him some day.

"I think it will," Sharpe said, per SportsRadioInterviews.com. "Here's the thing. My only problem is this: You're either a Hall of Famer or you're not. It's as simple as that."

Sharpe added that he shouldn't have to wait for Hall of Fame enshrinement. And he noted that as modern passing games improve the statistics of today's quarterbacks, wide receivers and tight ends, it will be tougher for his statistics -- and the stats of other players from his generation -- to look good in comparison.

"To have to wait 20 years then all of a sudden you get in, or to have to wait 15 years because as you go further and further, more modern guys come out," Sharpe said. "So their numbers look better and better. For the past six or seven years, this is a passing league. [In the future], my 815 [catches] is going to look small. Tony [Gonzalez] is probably going to have 1,100. Jason Witten's probably going to have 900 or 1,000."

Ultimately, although Sharpe thinks he's going to be a Hall of Famer, the fact that he's not in the Hall yet leads him to believe that tight ends aren't appreciated.

"I know one thing, they don't value the tight end position," Sharpe said. "I think that's the biggest thing -- they don't really value that position."

Medford Bronco
02-09-2010, 05:45 PM
He should be a HOFer. He basically helped modernize the TE postion

Just my take.

Medford Bronco
02-09-2010, 05:45 PM
"
"I know one thing, they don't value the tight end position," Sharpe said. "I think that's the biggest thing -- they don't really value that position."

Just ask NE. They waste pretty good TEs and never throw them the football. They force it to Moss and Welker

Skinny
02-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Yeah, he was a HOF while he was still playing. He'll get in. He's just going to have to wait it out like everyone else.

T.K.O.
02-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Yeah, he was a HOF while he was still playing. He'll get in. He's just going to have to wait it out like everyone else.

sure would be pissed if tony g gets in before him though !
i wonder if sb wins affects te's like it does qb's as far as hof voting goes ?

Skinny
02-09-2010, 05:56 PM
sure would be pissed if tony g gets in before him though !
i wonder if sb wins affects te's like it does qb's as far as hof voting goes ?I would be pissed too. Not that Tony is'nt deserving enough, he is, but is/was Shannon.

I beleive there to be some truth to what he says about "they" not valuing the TE position.

Tned
02-10-2010, 08:12 PM
When he retired, all of the talking heads said he was a first ballot hall of famer. I am blown away that two years have gone by with him not being voted in.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-10-2010, 08:24 PM
When he retired, all of the talking heads said he was a first ballot hall of famer. I am blown away that two years have gone by with him not being voted in.

I feel the same way, and I think he should have been a first ballot hall of famer. I am sure he will make it, but each year he does not, it must take some of the glamour out of it for him.

Lonestar
02-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Yep he should get in but since all of his records were beat by TG after he retired diminishes his odds. That took the focus off of his accomplishments.

Having rice and smith this year also really hurt him. As will next years locks IF any. I really thought because he palyed for an east coast team and his time on TV would have given him the visibilty to get in on the first ballot.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

TXBRONC
02-13-2010, 04:44 PM

Last year I was shocked that he didn't get in. But I wasn't this time because Legwold telegraphed after last year's vote. He said with guys like Rice and Rice being eligible this year Sharpe probably wasn't going to make it.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Yep he should get in but since all of his records were beat by TG after he retired diminishes his odds. That took the focus off of his accomplishments.

Having rice and smith this year also really hurt him. As will next years locks IF any. I really thought because he palyed for an east coast team and his time on TV would have given him the visibilty to get in on the first ballot.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

What TG has done, should have no bearing on what Shannon accomplished - i.e. Shannon held every record for tight ends when he retired. Shannon should be judged on what he accomplished, not on what another TE, who is still playing, has accomplished since Shannon retired.

Lonestar
02-13-2010, 08:14 PM
What TG has done, should have no bearing on what Shannon accomplished - i.e. Shannon held every record for tight ends when he retired. Shannon should be judged on what he accomplished, not on what another TE, who is still playing, has accomplished since Shannon retired.

I totally agree, but that is what happened IMO all of his records were broken in those 5 years, a lot like TG records will get broken by Gates or Witten or maybe both.

He would have been a first ballot guy had that not happened. when he retired the talk was in Five years he'd be in. TG breaks them and he is not longer the man.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-13-2010, 08:21 PM
I totally agree, but that is what happened IMO all of his records were broken in those 5 years, a lot like TG records will get broken by Gates or Witten or maybe both.

He would have been a first ballot guy had that not happened. when he retired the talk was in Five years he'd be in. TG breaks them and he is not longer the man.

This is where I disagree - Shannon was the man when he retired, and the HOF members are SUPPOSE to be chosen, based on the type of career they had, not based on any other player's career.

Broncolingus
02-13-2010, 08:44 PM
If Sharpe played for an east/west coast team, he'd have been in on the first ballot...

He'll get in, yes...and, oh yeah, I do have a problem with him having to 'wait.'

Interesting how guys like Peter King (et al) have had a bunch of (and regular) print about how they've opposed Floyd Little and NOTHING really at all on Sharpe...

NameUsedBefore
02-13-2010, 11:25 PM
Figured he would be a shoe-in; literally first-ballot. I mean, not only does he have the massive stats, but he also has what the HoF cares about more which is personality and the Superbowl rings.

Don't get it. But I'm very glad that Floyd Little got in. Randy Gradishar should be next.

Hoser
02-14-2010, 01:22 AM
Best TE when he retired with 3 SB rings... it's crazy that he didn't get in.