PDA

View Full Version : Broncos reach deal with Manuel

BroncoLee
03-08-2008, 06:24 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3283548

The Denver Broncos, who have spent the week looking for safety help, reached a three-year, $4.5 million deal with Marquand Manuel, who spent last season with the Carolina Panthers.

The deal includes a $500,000 signing bonus. Manuel, 28, beat out Chris Crocker, Marlon McCree and others for the chance to compete for a starting safety job. Manuel signed a five-year, $10 million deal in 2006 with the Packers after he left the Seahawks following their Super Bowl season.

Manuel was cut by the Packers before spending last season as a backup with the Panthers, for whom he started two games.

-- John Clayton, ESPN.com.

lex
03-08-2008, 06:27 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3283548

The Denver Broncos, who have spent the week looking for safety help, reached a three-year, $4.5 million deal with Marquand Manuel, who spent last season with the Carolina Panthers.

The deal includes a $500,000 signing bonus. Manuel, 28, beat out Chris Crocker, Marlon McCree and others for the chance to compete for a starting safety job. Manuel signed a five-year, $10 million deal in 2006 with the Packers after he left the Seahawks following their Super Bowl season.

Manuel was cut by the Packers before spending last season as a backup with the Panthers, for whom he started two games.

-- John Clayton, ESPN.com.

Championship!!!

Nature Boy
03-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Yay! more patchwork 2nd tier players. Go Broncos!!!

shank
03-08-2008, 06:34 PM
i would have preferred mccree. i'll hold my opinion on this signing until i see what kind of money marlon gets.

Retired_Member_001
03-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Who bets that this backup safety starts a full 16 game season for us and plays as bad as Ian Gold would at safety?

SR
03-08-2008, 06:35 PM
McCree would've been good because he's a good safety and it would've filled our vacancy nicely. Shanny could be planning on drafting Kenny Phillips in the first round. In that case, this is just a depth move.

Nature Boy
03-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Red somewhere that the Broncos were not high on Kenny Phillips.

Italianmobstr7
03-08-2008, 06:55 PM
I would've preferred Mcree, but he's probably a little too pricey. I'll take Manuel for a year I guess. Maybe he'll play some good special teams for us.

TXBRONC
03-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Who bets that this backup safety starts a full 16 game season for us and plays as bad as Ian Gold would at safety?

They didn't sign him to be a starter Wookiee. They signed him to add depth.

shank
03-08-2008, 07:02 PM

in a backfield with 36 year old john lynch and inconsistent abdullah, manuel will almost surely be competing to start.

the only way one could assume that manuel has no chance at starting is to assume that we are taking a safety high in the draft, and kenny phillips is probably the only safety that could come in as a rookie and be the default starter...

Retired_Member_001
03-08-2008, 07:04 PM

I was taking a shot at Shanny. Shanahan sometimes signs guys who should really be backups. I know Shanahan and Bowlen want to build through the draft and not hand out big pay checks, but we need some decent immediate help. Why didn't we go after Gibril Wilson or Eugene Wilson or Madieu Williams? They would all be upgrades over who we have now.

topscribe
03-08-2008, 07:16 PM
in a backfield with 36 year old john lynch and inconsistent abdullah, manuel will almost surely be competing to start.

the only way one could assume that manuel has no chance at starting is to assume that we are taking a safety high in the draft, and kenny phillips is probably the only safety that could come in as a rookie and be the default starter...

On Abdullah's side, maybe, although Abdullah has a lot going for him, such as
size, speed, and range.

On Lynch's side, however, I don't know how much age has to do with it. Does
the big three-six automatically mean Lynch is a has-been? Whether Manuel
replaces him depends on whether (1) Lynch's production has declined
dramatically from last year to next or (2) Manuel can play better than a
Pro Bowl alternate.

-----

TXBRONC
03-08-2008, 07:23 PM
I was taking a shot at Shanny. Shanahan sometimes signs guys who should really be backups. I know Shanahan and Bowlen want to build through the draft and not hand out big pay checks, but we need some decent immediate help. Why didn't we go after Gibril Wilson or Eugene Wilson or Madieu Williams? They would all be upgrades over who we have now.

They didn't want to spend that kind of cash accorinding to the lastest article in The Sporting News.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=369855

Broncos Team Report
Posted: March 3, 2008
Lee Rasizer
For Sporting News

PERSONNEL ANALYSIS:

The Broncos' first foray into free agency landed them WR Keary Colbert. It isn't exactly the splashy move, but it helps address a need. Javon Walker's departure leaves a gaping hole at No. 2 receiver. Denver would prefer that Brandon Stokley remain in the slot on obvious passing downs as a No. 3. Colbert has decent speed and should be able to stretch the field, allowing Brandon Marshall and Stokley to work underneath. But Denver almost certainly isn't finished acquiring receivers. They might try to add a vertical threat in the draft. Keep an eye on Cal's DeSean Jackson, who could also fill the need for a kick returner. ...

In the next week, Denver is likely to land an additional safety capable of starting. They weren't going to throw around big dough for the likes of Gibril Wilson or Madieu Williams. Instead, players such as Sammy Knight and Marquand Manuel will get looks. John Lynch's return doesn't affect the need to fortify that spot, particularly given Hamza Abdullah's inexperience and Lynch's age. And Denver could even take a safety on the first say of the draft.

SCOUTING REPORT:

Guard Ben Hamilton's return will help the Broncos' offensive line. While he's not the ideal size and isn't a road-grader, he's excellent at using his hands to knock defenders off balance and at using his body to create seams. Hamilton also has good feet and plays well in space. He missed all of last season with post-concussion symptoms that affected his personality, but so far, he has been cleared to return this season. But unlike past seasons, he'll face stiff competition for his starting job -- the roles of fellow guards Chris Myers and Chris Kuper expanded in 2007. Still, Hamilton's deep knowledge of Denver's scheme should help his bid.

HARD TRUTH:

The Broncos finally appear to recognize that the open-checkbook policy on free agency doesn't work unless a young core already is in place. Denver has several players with limited experience expected to be key contributors next season, and the team seems willing to let them grow into their roles. The challenge now is continuing to build upon that core while bringing in middle-tier free agents to increase depth, which has suffered due to poor drafts in recent years. It would help if the Broncos could trade down in the first round and grab another first-day pick. The bottom line is that patience is going to be needed since the overall talent level doesn't match up with the AFC's best anymore.

dogfish
03-08-2008, 07:28 PM
somebody break out the bubbly. . . .

shank
03-08-2008, 07:30 PM
On Abdullah's side, maybe, although Abdullah has a lot going for him, such as
size, speed, and range.

On Lynch's side, however, I don't know how much age has to do with it. Does
the big three-six automatically mean Lynch is a has-been? Whether Manuel
replaces him depends on whether (1) Lynch's production has declined
dramatically from last year to next or (2) Manuel can play better than a
Pro Bowl alternate.

-----

don't put words in my mouth top, i never said lynch is a has-been, if you look back to a few weeks ago, i was one of the guys really hoping that lynch would be a bronco for another year.

that being said, 36 (i'm pretty sure 37 by next season) is a big deal for a safety, even one as good as john lynch. it has to catch up with im sometime (and it already has started to), and if manuel comes in and plays very well, and lynch's age slows him with another ring in his trunk, i don't think it's impossible that he get supplanted. he already was last year in passing situations...

Retired_Member_001
03-08-2008, 07:33 PM
They didn't want to spend that kind of cash accorinding to the lastest article in The Sporting News.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=369855

Yes I've read that article.

One big signing isn't what would be labelled as "splashing the cash". The thing is this team has a long way to go before they are respectable again. This means that spending abit of money on a good player is sometimes needed.

I am all for building through the draft, it is how the great teams are built. However you NEED to go after a good FA every so often. We are a 5-11 team at the moment in my opinion and knowing Shanahan's drafting skills, we're not improving on that much.

Scarface
03-08-2008, 07:42 PM
This is a decent signing. He's a veteran and will add depth. We still need to draft a safety just like we have the last 10 years. Too bad this years safety class is thin.

Bronco9798
03-08-2008, 07:49 PM
You can't win a champioship without depth. Not to say that this is even a good depth signing, but it's nice to see Shanny giving most of the starters from last year a chance to keep competing and keep everybody together for the most part and growing together as a team. Making changes and signing guys to huge contract has proven it don't win championships for us. Wholesale changes have not been very good. I like the pace and the getting over the anxiety of thinking you have to bring in huge contracts to win football games.

You keep this nucleus together, stay healthy, and add some depth that can contribute and it just might turn out to be a good thing this coming year.

I'm personally happy with the way the free agency period has gone. I think this is the smart route. Plus, we still have draft day approaching.

I'm happy so far with the way Shanny has handled everything.

Just saying..........

SmilinAssasSin27
03-08-2008, 08:56 PM
...and the peasants rejoiced.

WARHORSE
03-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Lets just hope both Manuel and McCree get beat out during training camp.

Nothing against them, I just hope we have better talent in the backup spots.....meaning we have the best talent starting.

We draft a kid in the mid rounds.

TXBRONC
03-08-2008, 11:55 PM
Lets just hope both Manuel and McCree get beat out during training camp.

Nothing against them, I just hope we have better talent in the backup spots.....meaning we have the best talent starting.

We draft a kid in the mid rounds.

I think Abdullah will have to fight to keep his job but still his until someone takes it away from him but Lynch on the other hand is safe.

From what I've been gathering in reading other posts and from what I pick up from TSN or ESPN Manuel and McCree are serviceable.

fcspikeit
03-09-2008, 12:28 AM
...and the peasants rejoiced.

:marchmellow::whoo::woot: :dancing: :cheer2: :dancing2:

Stargazer
03-09-2008, 04:34 AM
I think Abdullah will have to fight to keep his job but still his until someone takes it away from him but Lynch on the other hand is safe.

Has he been re-signed yet?

jrelway
03-09-2008, 10:14 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dj_34mu-0k

SmilinAssasSin27
03-09-2008, 10:19 AM
:marchmellow::whoo::woot::dancing::cheer2::dancing 2:

I love the dancing clum baby.