PDA

View Full Version : onside kick in the super bowl reminded me of parcell's gamble

titan
02-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Listening to the Super Bowl post game analysis and many say that the key play in the game was New Orleans successful onside kick to start the 2nd half. After the Saints recovered they marched down to take their first lead in the game.

This reminded me of the Broncos/Giants Super Bowl in 1987 - the only one I attended in person. The Broncos dominated the first half but missed out on a number of scoring chances and only had a 10-9 lead going into the 2nd half. New York got the 2nd half kickoff. The Broncos had them stopped on downs and the Giants lined up to punt with 4th and 2 from their own 46. Similar to the Saints onside kick, the Giants surprisingly went for it on 4th down - hiking the ball to the up man who made the 1st down on a sneak. The Giants went on to score a td on that drive, took their first lead, and never looked back.

I often wonder if the Broncos had stopped that 4th down gamble would it had made a difference in the game? Maybe not, the way Phil Simms was shredding the defense that day, but it was the turning point in the game.

Mike
02-08-2010, 02:20 PM
No doubt.

I know many will disagree with me, but the Garcon drop on 3rd down was just as big though.

TXBRONC
02-08-2010, 02:33 PM
No doubt.

I know many will disagree with me, but the Garcon drop on 3rd down was just as big though.

Not at all would I disagree. If Garcon holds on to that pass and Colts go into score before half it's different ball game.