PDA

View Full Version : Goodell: NFL needs to invest more

Denver Native (Carol)
02-08-2010, 11:41 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4895072

MIAMI -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell predicts players' salaries will still grow under a new labor agreement, even if their share of revenue is reduced as owners have proposed.

Appearing Sunday on CBS's "Face the Nation" hours before the Super Bowl, Goodell said the owners need more money to cover rising costs for international ventures and infrastructure projects such as new stadiums.

"You have to invest in these stadiums that we're in today," Goodell said. "You need to find new ways of creating revenue, whether it's international or otherwise. And that takes investment. And we need to make sure that the owners have the capital to be able to do that. And then the pie grows, and everyone benefits."

The union has said management wants players to reduce their share to 41 percent of applied revenues from about 59 percent. Goodell counters that of the $3.6 billion in incremental revenues since 2006, players received $2.6 billion.

"We want to structure something that really is going to lead us into the next decade in a way that's constructive, so the players benefit, the teams benefit, and most of all, the game," Goodell said.

The league's current labor contract expires in March 2011. NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith said Thursday the chance of a lockout next year is a "14" on a scale of 1 to 10.

"I don't agree with that," Goodell said. "The owners don't win by having a lockout. Shutting down your business is not good for anybody. And it's certainly not good for the players. It's certainly not good for the fans."

Addressing the issue of concussions has been another priority for the commissioner, and he said the league will continue to look for ways to make the game safer. He didn't rule out the idea of getting linemen out of their three-point stances to reduce the ferocity of collisions at the line of scrimmage.

"As you'll see tonight, you'll see a lot of players that never get down in a three-point stance," Goodell said. "So it's possible that would happen."

While science is still trying to determine the long-term effects of concussions, Goodell said, the league has made progress in increasing awareness about the severity of such injuries.

"For many years the culture had been quite different -- that concussions weren't serious injuries," he said. "I think we have changed that culture and made sure that people understand they are serious, and they can have serious consequences if they're not treated properly."

BroncoTech
02-08-2010, 07:23 PM
I think the NFL has many problems. The NFL is building an old school monopoly in the new open source world. They have entered into every exclusive agreement they could negotiate. Look at the agreements with DirectTV and Electronic Arts.

Instead of allowing one carrier to own Sunday Ticket at $250 for each subscriber what would happen if 20 carriers offered it for $100 per subscriber. Sunday Ticket would be about 10 times more popular.

Locking out the football video game competition with the EA agreement is bad for gamers, fans and ultimately the NFL. This is the perfect example how nobody is better served and why monopolies are supposed to be against the law.

Who Dat say gonna beat them saints. Will the NFL doesn't allow 'Who Dat' and the saints to be on their gear. They'll sue you if you try to sell gear with 'who dat' and the name 'saints' on one garment. You know the shops in the USA that closed down when the NFL sent our jobs to China, they don't exist anymore but we should remember them next time shopping for clothes.

I speak out as a fan of the Broncos in Oakland. There's just to limited options for getting the Bronco games. You can have random things like lack of Southern exposure or large trees block Sunday Ticket , it happens. Yet there exists free open source software that broadcasts streams of each game from Europe or at least from out of the country of the NFL games. They need to stream the games and not just to one brand of phone, just stream the damn games.

Also I suspect the NFL might be rigged.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Tonight on PTI, they said Goodell was also looking into going away from the 3 point stance to minimize "head injuries". How many linemen get concussions coming out of a 3 point stance, really? Like linemen really lead with their helmet? Sounds pretty dumb to me.

Most concussions are open field hits where guys have the chance to get up a high rate of speed before impact, not a 1 foot collision at the LOS.

Lonestar
02-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Tonight on PTI, they said Goodell was also looking into going away from the 3 point stance to minimize "head injuries". How many linemen get concussions coming out of a 3 point stance, really? Like linemen really lead with their helmet? Sounds pretty dumb to me.

Most concussions are open field hits where guys have the chance to get up a high rate of speed before impact, not a 1 foot collision at the LOS.

Obviously you have not played on the LOS much. Take it from an old ORG you get your bell rung a lot.

I would guess they have stats to back up this move.

Dirk
02-09-2010, 07:36 AM
The union has said management wants players to reduce their share to 41 percent of applied revenues from about 59 percent. Goodell counters that of the $3.6 billion in incremental revenues since 2006, players received $2.6 billion.

Really? Wow! I had no idea the players were getting 59 percent. :eek:

Northman
02-09-2010, 07:43 AM
I think the NFL has many problems. The NFL is building an old school monopoly in the new open source world. They have entered into every exclusive agreement they could negotiate. Look at the agreements with DirectTV and Electronic Arts.

Instead of allowing one carrier to own Sunday Ticket at $250 for each subscriber what would happen if 20 carriers offered it for $100 per subscriber. Sunday Ticket would be about 10 times more popular.

Locking out the football video game competition with the EA agreement is bad for gamers, fans and ultimately the NFL. This is the perfect example how nobody is better served and why monopolies are supposed to be against the law.

Who Dat say gonna beat them saints. Will the NFL doesn't allow 'Who Dat' and the saints to be on their gear. They'll sue you if you try to sell gear with 'who dat' and the name 'saints' on one garment. You know the shops in the USA that closed down when the NFL sent our jobs to China, they don't exist anymore but we should remember them next time shopping for clothes.

I speak out as a fan of the Broncos in Oakland. There's just to limited options for getting the Bronco games. You can have random things like lack of Southern exposure or large trees block Sunday Ticket , it happens. Yet there exists free open source software that broadcasts streams of each game from Europe or at least from out of the country of the NFL games. They need to stream the games and not just to one brand of phone, just stream the damn games.

Also I suspect the NFL might be rigged.

Great post. Not too mention its almost difficult to get any Bronco merch here in Baltimore. I understand you generally deal with the home team and the surrounding teams but when i see more Raider gear than Broncos i just shake my head. I understand Oakland has been a popular team for eons but i also know that there are a lot of Bronco fans in MD and to add more merch into their inventory for all teams would be a benefit for the league in general.

Northman
02-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Obviously you have not played on the LOS much. Take it from an old ORG you get your bell rung a lot.

I would guess they have stats to back up this move.

Just change it too flag football then. Its a tough sport and injuries happen like it has for years. I dont see Boxing changing the way they do things just because the fighters might get head injuries. It comes with the territory. If you want to make the equipment better than knock yourself out. But all this sillyness about hitting the QB's and now trying to change the stances is getting out of control. And yes, take it from a guy who played both QB and Safety.

Nomad
02-09-2010, 08:17 AM

Yeah, I don't get this one. I had DTV and ST since it came out and just dropped them because we moved and of my location (too many trees on the lot). We have cable and luckily they show most of the games up here, last year they didn't show two games! Though I pissed and moaned about missing those two games, I probably won't get DTV again (I don't watch enough tv for the hassle) but for the fans that live elsewhere such as Balt. or Oak too bad the NFL can't provide other options (DishNet or cable tv) to watch the games! Even allowing games to be streamed on the web for a fee would be a start, because I don't expect anything to be free.

As far as merchandise, NFL figures you can internet shop unless you live in the teams region or your team is the Steelers, Cowboys, or Raiders because they're stuff is sold everywhere, then again that's why they have team shops on the web!!

Nomad
02-09-2010, 08:25 AM
Just change it too flag football then. Its a tough sport and injuries happen like it has for years. I dont see Boxing changing the way they do things just because the fighters might get head injuries. It comes with the territory. If you want to make the equipment better than knock yourself out. But all this sillyness about hitting the QB's and now trying to change the stances is getting out of control. And yes, take it from a guy who played both QB and Safety.

Yeah, football players claim to be warriors and gladiators, so they need to quit whining!!

frauschieze
02-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Even allowing games to be streamed on the web for a fee would be a start, because I don't expect anything to be free.

Exactly! I've been dying for the NFL to offer us stateside what they offer for those overseas. I haven't been able to get DirecTV for years because the apartment complexes I've lived in have not allowed satellite. So if a game isn't televised here, I have to either troop to the bar (expensive) or find a stream online (illegal). I'd gladly pay to stream games from the NFL. And I love the Red Zone channel. I'd like to be able to get that separately, either via cable or internet or however. There's opportunities out there the NFL is ignoring and I don't understand why.

BroncoJoe
02-09-2010, 09:18 AM
$1 Billion paid to the NFL by DirecTv. No one else is willing to come close to that.

Also, DTv will have to pay the NFL in 2011 - even if there is a lockout. LOL!