PDA

View Full Version : Would the Broncos make a move for McNabb if he is available?

roomemp
02-08-2010, 10:37 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Numerous-teams-calling-about-McNabb?urn=nfl,218232

Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:25 am EST

Numerous teams calling about McNabb
By Mark J. Miller

Donovan McNabb(notes) appears to be a very popular man these days. Plenty of teams have apparently called the Philadelphia Eagles to find out if he is available, according to the Philadelphia Daily News. Teams have also asked about backup Kevin Kolb(notes) and three teams have asked about Michael Vick(notes).

Three of the teams that are asking about McNabb are supposedly the Denver Broncos, Buffalo Bills, and Cleveland Browns. Of course, most, if not all, of these calls are totally exploratory at this point as teams start to feel out all the others to see what's going to be available this offseason.

Eagles head coach Andy Reid is sticking to his story that McNabb will be the starter next season, the last one on the QB's contract. Still, it is hard to believe all three of these quarterbacks will be with the team when things get rolling next year.

Follow Yahoo! Sports Rumors on Twitter at @markjmill.

Source: Philadelphia Daily News

Would the Broncos make a move for McNabb if he was available? Would he fit our system. I am bored at work. Whats your opinions??

SOCALORADO.
02-08-2010, 10:40 AM
No, no, and no.

CoachChaz
02-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Unless he's asking about Kolb...I dont want McD to even consider talking to Philly. Not that I dislike McNabb...but he's completely wrong for this offense

Dirk
02-08-2010, 10:58 AM
I agree. No to McNabb but yes to Kolb.

TXBRONC
02-08-2010, 11:07 AM
I like McNabb as well but all that we would be doing taking another quarterback that's short term fix.

elsid13
02-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Hey who needs a 1st anyway.

Mike
02-08-2010, 11:18 AM
Uh-oh, is Orton going to demand a trade?

Shazam!
02-08-2010, 11:27 AM
I'd seriously consider McNabb for a 2-3 year run.

I still don't think enough is known or seen about Kolb to warrant the risk. I'd rather go through the Draft than that route.

...and NO to VICK.

broncophan
02-08-2010, 12:13 PM
I hope not.............

CoachChaz
02-08-2010, 12:28 PM

I still don't think enough is known or seen about Kolb to warrant the risk. I'd rather go through the Draft than that route.

...and NO to VICK.

I think there would be less risk with Kolb than drafting anyone else after eound one. But I pay attention to Philly. Kid played 2 games and became the first player to throw for over 300 yards in his first 2 starts and won NFC player of the week after one of them.

I think he'd be perfect for the spread.

TXBRONC
02-08-2010, 12:30 PM

...and NO to VICK.

So pay big money for quarterback that more than like would be here no more than 5 years if that? There are a lot holes to fill especially on both lines, but most especially the defensive line. There is also learning curve to an offense that's vastly different than the one he as run in Philadelphia for last decade plus.

I wouldn't be against bringing in Kolb because he's younger and has a lot of upside. But fact is neither one of them fit mold that McDaniel's is accustomed to in a quarterback.

Nomad
02-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Just say NO to McNabb!! It is believed the Rams may trade for Vick, so they don't have to draft a QB and can go after Suh. I don't see them getting rid of McNabb if this happens unless they feel Kolb wins the job over McNabb!!

CoachChaz
02-08-2010, 12:40 PM
So pay big money for quarterback that more than like would be here no more than 5 years if that? There are a lot holes to fill especially on both lines, but most especially the defensive line. There is also learning curve to an offense that's vastly different than the one he as run in Philadelphia for last decade plus.

I wouldn't be against bringing in Kolb because he's younger and has a lot of upside. But fact is neither one of them fit mold that McDaniel's is accustomed to in a quarterback.

I would disagree. Kolb comes from a pass happy spread system in college at Houston. Threw for alot of yards, alot of TD's and very few INT's. I think he'd actually be perfect for McD's system.

Northman
02-08-2010, 12:41 PM
I would disagree. Kolb comes from a pass happy spread system in college at Houston. Threw for alot of yards, alot of TD's and very few INT's. I think he'd actually be perfect for McD's system.

I agree.

T.K.O.
02-08-2010, 12:47 PM
i doubt he would be willing to be a #2...and i would rather see orton get a chance at a 2nd year in the system ( dont want to start from scratch again )
but i will say i would be a heck of a lot more comfortable with a guy like mcnabb waiting in the wings than simms or brandstater at this point.

CoachChaz
02-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Kevin Kolb goes wild hog hunting with nothing more than a few dogs and a 12-inch Bowie knife.

That is all I'll say

elsid13
02-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Kevin Kolb goes wild hog hunting with nothing more than a few dogs and a 12-inch Bowie knife.

That is all I'll say

The line "squeal like a pig" come to mind.

Cutler5280
02-08-2010, 02:16 PM

:ciao:

TXBRONC
02-08-2010, 02:21 PM

I'm talking about measurables. Look at all the quarterbacks that McDaniel's worked with in New England and here. All at least 6'4" not necessarily a big arm and not what you would call mobile. Kolb goes 6'3", my not sure how mobile he is and he has a pretty big arm. So measurable wise he doesn't seem to be an exact fit. But as said I would not be against bringing him in.

Lonestar
02-08-2010, 02:39 PM
I'd guess that the only one Josh would be interested in would be the kid.

Mc Nabb is a winner there is very little doubt about that but long in the tooth and has to have a HUGE contract. So can't believe that we would be interested.

vick does not fit into this O at all and IMHO I would lose a lot of respect if he were to come here.

SOCALORADO.
02-08-2010, 02:49 PM

I think weve dicussed Kolb before, and yes he did indeed come from the "Houston spread".
I bet all of the teams that called were actually interested in Kolb. BUF,CLE and DEN. None of those teams to me run an offense that McNabb would be comfortable running.

Italianmobstr7
02-08-2010, 02:54 PM
I'd take mcnabb or Kolb. I'm fine with Orton too and drafting someone. Basically any way it goes I'll be happy.

SOCALORADO.
02-08-2010, 02:58 PM
I'm talking about measurables. Look at all the quarterbacks that McDaniel's worked with in New England and here. All at least 6'4" not necessarily a big arm and not what you would call mobile. Kolb goes 6'3", my not sure how mobile he is and he has a pretty big arm. So measurable wise he doesn't seem to be an exact fit. But as said I would not be against bringing him in.

Yeah, your right. MCD ultimately would want a 6'4" or taller,strong armed, cerebral QB.
But the fact that Kolb knows the spread, and has had success in his limited playing time in the NFL, MCD might be OK with him enough to take a chance. Kolb has also shown hes a smart QB, in that he learned a completely new offensive system fairly quickly, so going back to the spread would take about.....45 minutes.
I would say Kolb is actually 6'2" myself. Who knows.

CoachChaz
02-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Yeah, your right. MCD ultimately would want a 6'4" or taller,strong armed, cerebral QB.
But the fact that Kolb knows the spread, and has had success in his limited playing time in the NFL, MCD might be OK with him enough to take a chance. Kolb has also shown hes a smart QB, in that he learned a completely new offensive system fairly quickly, so going back to the spread would take about.....45 minutes.
I would say Kolb is actually 6'2" myself. Who knows.

I think he's listed at 6'3", 235

But your Super Bowl MVP is very graciously listed at 6'0"...so I guess the height factor is redundant

D1g1tal j1m
02-08-2010, 03:58 PM
I would definitely take McNabb if he were available for a 2nd round pick. As much as everyone is saying that he is long in the tooth and a short term fix, he still a top flight QB who has carried the Eagles throughout his tenure there.

McNabb has led the Eagles to four consecutive NFC East division championships (2001, 2002, 2003, and 2004), five NFC Championship Games (2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2008), and one Super Bowl (Super Bowl XXXIX, in which the Eagles were defeated by the New England Patriots).

What other QB is available that can match the above paragraph. For those pining for a young QB that will take 2-4 years to develop, why wait when you can get a guy that will produce now. McNabb would have little trouble learning this offense as he has proven in the past that he can excel as a pocket QB. Heck, McD would probably be able to open up the full playbook with McNabb at the helm. McNabb can still make all the throws and would probably excel if he could just get out of Phili.

SOCALORADO.
02-08-2010, 04:03 PM
I think he's listed at 6'3", 235

But your Super Bowl MVP is very graciously listed at 6'0"...so I guess the height factor is redundant

Very gracious indeed. Guy was wearing 6 inch stiletto high heels when he was measured! :D

D1g1tal j1m
02-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Also, Payton Manning is 33 & Drew Brees is 31 and I think that they have more than 5 great to good years left in them. McNabb is 33 and a little dinged up, but with a strong OL and a system that allows for him to make quick reads and throws he can play another 5 years also.

tomjonesrocks
02-08-2010, 04:21 PM
I take this as a good sign. It likely means the team isn't sold onOrton, which is great news as the shorter period the Broncos have Orton at the helm, the better.

McNabb is 5 times the playmaker Orton is--he would be a much more interesting stopgap. Would rather a new franchise QB be groomed--but at thispoint wouldgeton board with any upgrade at the position.

silkamilkamonico
02-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Kevin Kolb?

Are you guys on crack?

Hell no.

UnderArmour
02-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Kevin Kolb?

Are you guys on crack?

Hell no.

Kolb played excellent in relief of McNabb last year. That's the only reason McNabb is even rumored to be up for trade, the Eagles could have just as effective of an offense with Kolb as McNabb.

CoachChaz
02-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Kevin Kolb?

Are you guys on crack?

Hell no.

A young, accurate passer with a strong arm that can run a spread offense and has had success when forced to play due to injury. yeah...what the hell are we thinking?

SOCALORADO.
02-08-2010, 05:13 PM
A young, accurate passer with a strong arm that can run a spread offense and has had success when forced to play due to injury. yeah...what the hell are we thinking?

I have no doubt that the call from DEN was to 1st inquire about Kolb, and then discuss McNabb offhand, while talking about how great Dawkins has been.
Of all current back up QBs, capable of being a full time starter, he is the 1st one MCD would want to look at hard, with Moore 2nd.
I honestly dont think MCD wants a veteran unless hes strictly a career back up.

SmilinAssasSin27
02-08-2010, 05:17 PM
negatory!

Cugel
02-08-2010, 05:36 PM

Lol! :laugh:

Actually, they could just release him since he's a FA! If they DID bring in a new QB my estimation of Josh McDaniels' coaching ability would go UP. As for those saying McNabb doesn't fit "the system" -- what system would that be? The one that went from #2 in the league in 2008 to #16 in yards and fell to 20th in the league in scoring? That great system? :coffee:

You saw what having a GOOD QB did for the Vikings last season. I'm not saying that the Broncos could get to the AFC Championship with McNabb, but he could buy McDaniels another year with a job! Then they could draft a rookie QB while playing McNabb for a year or two until the kid is ready.

That would at least be a PLAN to compete in the future -- and one that doesn't have the drawback of expecting great things from Kyle Orton.

I'm not holding my breath though. I'm betting he keeps Orton and goes down with the ship! :salute:

MileHighCrew
02-08-2010, 05:37 PM
That would really be horrible. I am not a fan of McNabb

CrazyHorse
02-08-2010, 05:40 PM
McNabb has a great deep ball.

Cugel
02-08-2010, 05:40 PM

You're probably right, but McNabb having a decent year could easily buy McDaniels another year without being fired! That might make it worth it.

The $64 million question for McD is: "Do I really want to stake my career on Kyle Orton having a breakout year?" My answer would be "No!" But, I rather expect McDaniels thinks that even if Orton tanks he'll just be able to shrug it off and still keep his job for another year.

Wade Phillips thought that too though and look what happened to him after 2 successive years of failure. :coffee:

The thing we have to remember is that Mike Shanahan winning Bowlen 2 SBs bought him 10 years of job security despite having only 1 playoff win and only 2 playoff appearances in that decade. But, McDaniels has done exactly ZERO for this franchise. He has to win NOW or else pack his bags. He has no track record of success in the NFL as a head coach and Bowlen doesn't owe him a damn thing.

If he picks up where he left off last season's losing streak he won't last another year.

TXBRONC
02-08-2010, 05:46 PM
I have no doubt that the call from DEN was to 1st inquire about Kolb, and then discuss McNabb offhand, while talking about how great Dawkins has been.
Of all current back up QBs, capable of being a full time starter, he is the 1st one MCD would want to look at hard, with Moore 2nd.

What makes you think that Denver was inquiring about Kolb? Besides that the way I read article is that's rumored that Denver called the Eagles.

broken12
02-08-2010, 05:53 PM
boring, mcnabb is cutler out of shape! even with the diabetes cutler could hold up better! yet what is this organization saying about its move with cutler and dealing him away, now looking for a qb! FART!

roomemp
02-08-2010, 05:59 PM
boring, mcnabb is cutler out of shape! even with the diabetes cutler could hold up better! yet what is this organization saying about its move with cutler and dealing him away, now looking for a qb! FART!

Please elaborate

broken12
02-08-2010, 06:03 PM
looks tired and sluggish at the end of games, like in the denver game, innacurate alot of the time (which i dont think cutler is as much) injury prone, with as bad as our o line is believed to be from the people on this board he would get killed! an upgrade over orton definately, but us looking to trade for a qb when we had a young one a cpl of seasons ago would make the trade and what we got for him a wash!

HORSEPOWER 56
02-08-2010, 07:29 PM
I bet that McNabb could throw the Ball to Eddie Royal in stride. Right now, I can't think of any Bronco that would be secretly wishing for a new and better QB than Eddie "the missing man of 2009" Royal.

Bring in McNabb, and Eddie Royal is next year's Desean Jackson. ;)

Lonestar
02-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Eddie does not have Jacksons quickness nor speed.

All eddie has to do is show up and Orton will get to know him if BM is gone. Who as we all know got his attention the past two years. Eddeie is going to replace the slot machine this year IF he does not re-sign as he is also a FA.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

Shazam!
02-08-2010, 09:38 PM
I can't figure why nobody would want Mcnabb. He'd be the best Broncos QB in Denver since John Elway.

Denver'd have a huge 2-3 year window to make a serious run and they'd have just a few more pieces needed.

I have no hate for Orton but McNabb would be an undeniable upgrade.

As far as his age, he's 33. He has a lot of football left.

Kolb is talented and showed great promise in relief, but I don;t have enough confidence in that alone to trade for him as a FT starter. I'd rather Denver draft a QB then.

I'd be super-****ing happy if Denver got McNabb. They'd be automatic contenders again with a bonafide accomplished star at QB.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-08-2010, 11:03 PM
Eddie does not have Jacksons quickness nor speed.

All eddie has to do is show up and Orton will get to know him if BM is gone. Who as we all know got his attention the past two years. Eddeie is going to replace the slot machine this year IF he does not re-sign as he is also a FA.

That's funny, I saw Eddie run in the 4.3s at the combine and at his pro day. I also saw him take some pretty deep passes to the house (with Cutler throwing him the ball two years ago) and leaving a lot of DBs in his wake as he pulled away from them. Cleveland? NYJ? Yeah, those were nice. Eddie has better pure hands than Desean, too.

If you were Eddie Royal, would you be happy with the way the 2009 season turned out for you (through no fault of your own)?

Shazam!
02-08-2010, 11:09 PM
As Dan Reeves once said, "Get him."

Magnificent Seven
02-08-2010, 11:13 PM
McNabb to Denver?

Are the Denver Broncos going to make earth-shattering news at the quarterback position for the second straight year?

It seems as if they are considering it.

ESPN’s Sal Paolantonio reports that Denver is one of three teams that have had multiple conversations with the Eagles about the availability of quarterback Donovan McNabb. The other two teams are Buffalo and Cleveland.

Very interesting.

Denver coach Josh McDaniels showed last year he is not afraid to make blockbuster moves and he is open to anything. McDaniels shipped 25-year-old Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler to Chicago last season after he tried to get Matt Cassel from New England.

Denver received quarterback Kyle Orton as part of the Cutler trade with Chicago. Orton was decent last year. He is likely going to be a free agent. This weekend, Denver owner Pat Bowlen said he would like to keep Orton.

However, it seems the Broncos are at least exploring the idea of adding McNabb. There will be plenty developments in the next several weeks before the trading and free agency season begins. But the fact that McDaniels is thinking about bringing in an elite quarterback doesn’t surprise me.

Still, I’m not sure if McNabb is the perfect fit for Denver. He is 33 and has been banged up. While he is a better player than Orton, would McNabb be the difference-maker in Denver? I don’t think Denver is just a quarterback away from being a legitimate title contender. The Broncos have other issues.

If McNabb came cheaply, maybe Denver should consider it. But he is not worth up giving up a bevy of draft picks at this point of his career. This team has to continue to build. Adding a fading star may not be the smartest move. But, it seems, it is an idea that is being mulled as McDaniels continues to look for the right quarterback in Denver.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/9825/mcnabb-to-denver

CrazyHorse
02-09-2010, 12:46 AM
The McOffense!

Medford Bronco
02-09-2010, 12:59 AM

What McNabb has zero winning seasons and led the league in picks in 09:laugh:

way off base:coffee:

Shazam!
02-09-2010, 01:10 AM
Originally Posted by broken12

Puhhleeze. Cutler isn't half the player McNabb is. Keep dreaming.

I'm not hot on the McNabb issue because I hate Orton. Far from it. He'd be a significant upgrade, and any deal that makes my team better I am all for it.

Him and a mid-Round QB for the future would be a nice investment at the position. We all know Clay's boy Chris Simms is doomed.

Lonestar
02-09-2010, 04:13 AM
That's funny, I saw Eddie run in the 4.3s at the combine and at his pro day. I also saw him take some pretty deep passes to the house (with Cutler throwing him the ball two years ago) and leaving a lot of DBs in his wake as he pulled away from them. Cleveland? NYJ? Yeah, those were nice. Eddie has better pure hands than Desean, too.

If you were Eddie Royal, would you be happy with the way the 2009 season turned out for you (through no fault of your own)?

I believe your wrong about ER speed but I'll let someone else dig that up as I'm on a blackberry with only one screen available.

As for no fault of his own, are you sure he had nothing to do with not getting his # called.

Perhaps he was not getting open or running wrong routes.

Since I'm not setting in on film session with the coaches/wr's I can't say for sure whose fault it was.

I also believe your romanticzing a bit about all the long balls he got last year. While my memory is not what it was. It seemed to me it was twice and his other runs wereYAC.

I also believe that he will be more involved in the O this coming season as Orton more comfortable in the scheme. Every one fails to get thatlast years everyone was not only new to the scheme but to each other and in the scheme precise route running and timing are very important.

TXBRONC
02-09-2010, 09:37 AM
I can't figure why nobody would want Mcnabb. He'd be the best Broncos QB in Denver since John Elway.

Denver'd have a huge 2-3 year window to make a serious run and they'd have just a few more pieces needed.

I have no hate for Orton but McNabb would be an undeniable upgrade.

As far as his age, he's 33. He has a lot of football left.

Kolb is talented and showed great promise in relief, but I don;t have enough confidence in that alone to trade for him as a FT starter. I'd rather Denver draft a QB then.

I'd be super-****ing happy if Denver got McNabb. They'd be automatic contenders again with a bonafide accomplished star at QB.

At 33 years of age maybe he has a lot of football left in him. However over the last five years he's missed 17 games. In the last three seasons alone he's missed a total of four games. My concern isn't his ability it's that he tends to miss a lot games. Also that at 33 years of age it's hard say how much he's got left in the tank.

broncofaninfla
02-09-2010, 09:46 AM
McNabb would be a HUGE upgrade over Orton but I'd rather go after a QB for the future, somebody who could be with Denver for years to come...........assuming Mcd didn't run him.

TXBRONC
02-09-2010, 10:28 AM
McNabb would be a HUGE upgrade over Orton but I'd rather go after a QB for the future, somebody who could be with Denver for years to come...........assuming Mcd didn't run him.

I like McNabb but I think the cost verses what we potentially would get out of him doesn't balance out in the long run. I think I might feel a little bit differently if set pretty much everywhere else, most especially the offensive and defensive lines.

Nomad
02-09-2010, 10:32 AM
I like McNabb but I think the cost verses what we potentially would get out out his doesn't balance out in the long run. I think I might feel a little bit differently if set pretty much everywhere else, most especially the offensive and defensive lines.

Ditto!

CoachChaz
02-09-2010, 10:36 AM
I keep praying this is a diversion and they are really talking about Kolb

silkamilkamonico
02-09-2010, 11:10 AM

Sounds a lot like AJ Feeley, Koy Detmer, and Jeff Garcia to me.

No thanks.

LMAO at you guys trading more than 1 second round pick for a guy who's had similiar stats, in a similiar offense, of Detmer, Feeley, and Garcia.

elsid13
02-09-2010, 11:13 AM
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/83763757.html

If there is one day in the NFL year when we ought to be free of worrying about Donovan McNabb and the Eagles, it should be Super Bowl Sunday. Alas, such is not the case.

We've had reports today from ESPN folk who apparently have too much time on their hands, with their network not doing the game. Adam Schefter says teams have asked the Birds about all three of their quarterbacks and three teams have called about Michael Vick. Sal Paolantonio added that three teams -- Cleveland, Denver and Buffalo -- have had multiple conversations with the Eagles about Donovan McNabb.

Don't know the exact teams myself, but I understand there have been a lot of calls, many of them not about any QB in particular, just letting the Eagles know Team X is interested, should they look to deal any of their three. I'm also told nothing is anywhere close to happening, that all of the queries have been preliminary.

This last point canot be overemphasized. NOTHING IS ANYWHERE CLOSE TO HAPPENING.

As you know, Andy Reid has indicated McNabb will be the Eagles' QB in 2010, and McNabb has said this is his strong understanding, as well. Vick has said he would like to go somewhere where he could start, and a few days ago down at South Beach, McNabb endorsed that idea. Kevin Kolb has said he'd like to start, but is a team player, and so forth.

The Vick-to-St. Louis speculation makes a lot of sense to me.

A scource close to the situation thinks at least half a dozen teams ultimately will inquire about Kolb -- including Cleveland, where Tom Heckert, of course, is now the GM, working under Reid's mentor, Mike Holmgren. Almost any team looking to draft a QB this season would be smart to look into Kolb, who presumably wouldn't need several years of training to take over. This is not a great quarterback draft; if Kolb came out this year, he'd almost certainly be a first-rounder. Of course, with McNabb heading toward his 12th season and not under contract after 2010, trading Kolb would be quite a gamble for the Birds.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Super Bowl XLIV hoopla.

SOCALORADO.
02-09-2010, 11:41 AM
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/eagles/83763757.html

If there is one day in the NFL year when we ought to be free of worrying about Donovan McNabb and the Eagles, it should be Super Bowl Sunday. Alas, such is not the case.

We've had reports today from ESPN folk who apparently have too much time on their hands, with their network not doing the game. Adam Schefter says teams have asked the Birds about all three of their quarterbacks and three teams have called about Michael Vick. Sal Paolantonio added that three teams -- Cleveland, Denver and Buffalo -- have had multiple conversations with the Eagles about Donovan McNabb.

Don't know the exact teams myself, but I understand there have been a lot of calls, many of them not about any QB in particular, just letting the Eagles know Team X is interested, should they look to deal any of their three. I'm also told nothing is anywhere close to happening, that all of the queries have been preliminary.

This last point canot be overemphasized. NOTHING IS ANYWHERE CLOSE TO HAPPENING.

As you know, Andy Reid has indicated McNabb will be the Eagles' QB in 2010, and McNabb has said this is his strong understanding, as well. Vick has said he would like to go somewhere where he could start, and a few days ago down at South Beach, McNabb endorsed that idea. Kevin Kolb has said he'd like to start, but is a team player, and so forth.

The Vick-to-St. Louis speculation makes a lot of sense to me.

A scource close to the situation thinks at least half a dozen teams ultimately will inquire about Kolb -- including Cleveland, where Tom Heckert, of course, is now the GM, working under Reid's mentor, Mike Holmgren. Almost any team looking to draft a QB this season would be smart to look into Kolb, who presumably wouldn't need several years of training to take over. This is not a great quarterback draft; if Kolb came out this year, he'd almost certainly be a first-rounder. Of course, with McNabb heading toward his 12th season and not under contract after 2010, trading Kolb would be quite a gamble for the Birds.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Super Bowl XLIV hoopla.

Sounds more and more like Chaz' has the right take on this.

broncofaninfla
02-09-2010, 11:56 AM
I keep praying this is a diversion and they are really talking about Kolb

I agree. I've been impressed with what I've seen in Kolb and all of my Eagle buddies LOVE him. Kolb seems to have the potential to be a stud starting QB in this league.

CoachChaz
02-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Sounds a lot like AJ Feeley, Koy Detmer, and Jeff Garcia to me.

No thanks.

LMAO at you guys trading more than 1 second round pick for a guy who's had similiar stats, in a similiar offense, of Detmer, Feeley, and Garcia.

I dont recall anyone offering any compensation for Kolb. No one said anything about a 2nd round pick.

Then, comparing him to Feely, Detmer and Garcia? Do yourself a favor and watch a game or two. The kid is 10 times better than those guys performed in Philly. but I guess the fact that 12 or so teams are asking about him as opposed to drafting someone means the whole NFL should listen to you.

broken12
02-09-2010, 01:00 PM
What McNabb has zero winning seasons and led the league in picks in 09:laugh:

way off base:coffee:

lol, i remember when philly wanted to get rid of mcnabb after three years! if he is so great why would they be trading him? has a bout a 2-1 td to interception ratio, takes too many sacks and hits, 4-12 first year, 11-5 second, 11-5 third, 26-22 first three years, not all that great not too much better than cutler, and remember this mcnabb has had great defenses year in and out! compared to the shadow defenses cutler has had to play with! I would be happy to get him but at the right price 3rd rounder and a player nothing more, yeah he is good and would be a big jump from dorton, but not worth sacrificing the future! Is this about mcd maybe feeling the pressure of winning now and knows he must to keep his contract?

TXBRONC
02-09-2010, 01:04 PM
I dont recall anyone offering any compensation for Kolb. No one said anything about a 2nd round pick.

Then, comparing him to Feely, Detmer and Garcia? Do yourself a favor and watch a game or two. The kid is 10 times better than those guys performed in Philly. but I guess the fact that 12 or so teams are asking about him as opposed to drafting someone means the whole NFL should listen to you.

The Eagles didn't spend a second round pick on Kolb because they thought he would be a good back up quarterback.

It wouldn't surprise me with kind of interest if Eagles wouldn't want a first round pick for him.

Dreadnought
02-09-2010, 01:05 PM

I'd be delighted to land Kolb. The kid has the potential to be a top flight passer, and sure has Hell has more tread left than McNabb. Honestly? I could see the Vikings take a run at McNabb if Favre retires - not us.

CoachChaz
02-09-2010, 01:08 PM
The Eagles didn't spend a second round pick on Kolb because they thought he would be a good back up quarterback.

It wouldn't surprise me with kind of interest if Eagles wouldn't want a first round pick for him.

If 10-12 teams are inquiring, then yes...I could see them asking for a 2nd. but without having much field time, I dont see it being reasonable for them to ask for a 1st. Recent example similar to this would be Shaub going to Houston. Shaub was much more sought after and more highly touted and Atlanta only got a second rounder and swapped 1sts with Houston...which was only a 2 spot swap.

I could maybe see someone giving up a 2nd, but I doubt a first.

Northman
02-09-2010, 01:11 PM
If 10-12 teams are inquiring, then yes...I could see them asking for a 2nd. but without having much field time, I dont see it being reasonable for them to ask for a 1st. Recent example similar to this would be Shaub going to Houston. Shaub was much more sought after and more highly touted and Atlanta only got a second rounder and swapped 1sts with Houston...which was only a 2 spot swap.

I could maybe see someone giving up a 2nd, but I doubt a first.

Thats the example i was going to use as well. Good call.

TXBRONC
02-09-2010, 01:15 PM
I'd be delighted to land Kolb. The kid has the potential to be a top flight passer, and sure has Hell has more tread left than McNabb. Honestly? I could see the Vikings take a run at McNabb if Favre retires - not us.

Getting McNabb is trading way the future for possible short term success. If Denver were already a playoff caliber team that just lacked heavyweight quarterback then you could make a strong argument to go and get McNabb but given Denver's current circumstances I don't think it would be a good idea.

SOCALORADO.
02-09-2010, 01:18 PM
KOLB of orgetaboutit
Getting McNabb is trading way the future for possible short term success. If Denver were already a playoff caliber team that just lacked heavyweight quarterback then you could make a strong argument to go and get McNabb but given Denver's current circumstances I don't think it would be a good idea.

Kolb or forgataboutit.

TXBRONC
02-09-2010, 01:33 PM
KOLB of orgetaboutit

Kolb or forgataboutit.

If it's true that Denver interest Kolb or even McNabb what does that say about how feels about Orton?

SOCALORADO.
02-09-2010, 01:58 PM
If it's true that Denver interest Kolb or even McNabb what does that say about how feels about Orton?

He feels that Orton was part of a trade that netted him high picks and rid him of a Jeff George-like player.
Orton is a guy who had experience playing in the NFL, and he knew the spread, and he was part of a team that was interested in Jeff Geor...i mean Jay Cutler.
Thats it.
If MCD wants Kolb, i cant fault him although i dont totally agree with his move, if indeed thats what he is inquiring about. The bottom line is Kolb isnt the absolute perfect QB for a MCD spread, but many feel hes a huge upgrade at the QB position.

silkamilkamonico
02-09-2010, 02:09 PM

LMAO "10 x better". Nice reach on that one. His 4TD/7INt career point/turnover production clearly blows Garcia and Feeley's better stats/more wins/more impact with Philly completely out of the water. Let's not forget AJ Feeley was traded for a second round pick after his early tenure in Philly too.

Philly isn't going to lose value on a guy who was a top end second round pick, who's under contract, who they absolutely love, and who they see as their QB of the future. But then again, forget his potential, if your assessment of his actual play is any consideration, maybe those teams will ignore the fact that he plays in arguably the most QB friendly system in the NFL, and lowball his trading value as well. If Philly would be stupid enough to bite on that, which they won't, you might actually be on to something.

IMO, Philly would be stupid to lose their future QB, if they feel he is, for a second. Which is probably where the reports for McNabb are coming forth.

jrelway
02-09-2010, 02:12 PM
id take kolb, mcnabb, even vick in a heartbeat over orton. at least these guys can extend the play when the pocket collapses.

silkamilkamonico
02-09-2010, 02:22 PM
id take kolb, mcnabb, even vick in a heartbeat over orton. at least these guys can extend the play when the pocket collapses.

Agreed.

CoachChaz
02-09-2010, 02:46 PM
LMAO "10 x better". Nice reach on that one. His 4TD/7INt career point/turnover production clearly blows Garcia and Feeley's better stats/more wins/more impact with Philly completely out of the water. Let's not forget AJ Feeley was traded for a second round pick after his early tenure in Philly too.

Philly isn't going to lose value on a guy who was a top end second round pick, who's under contract, who they absolutely love, and who they see as their QB of the future. But then again, forget his potential, if your assessment of his actual play is any consideration, maybe those teams will ignore the fact that he plays in arguably the most QB friendly system in the NFL, and lowball his trading value as well. If Philly would be stupid enough to bite on that, which they won't, you might actually be on to something.

IMO, Philly would be stupid to lose their future QB, if they feel he is, for a second. Which is probably where the reports for McNabb are coming forth.

You're going to judge his talent and ability on numbers from limited action? How about the fact that the last full game he played netted him NFC player of the week honors...or that 3 of those INT's came against the Saints when the Eagles were getting thrashed and he was forced to throw all game. Oh yeah, he also threw for almost 400 yards that game and 2 TD's.

Yeah...he sucks.

I dont doubt Philly will want a 2nd for him and I believe Reid would prefer to keep him. The only point any of us are making is that if there is a chance...why not ask questions? This is the NFL. EVERY player has a price tag

TXBRONC
02-09-2010, 02:57 PM
He feels that Orton was part of a trade that netted him high picks and rid him of a Jeff George-like player.
Orton is a guy who had experience playing in the NFL, and he knew the spread, and he was part of a team that was interested in Jeff Geor...i mean Jay Cutler.
Thats it.
If MCD wants Kolb, i cant fault him although i dont totally agree with his move, if indeed thats what he is inquiring about. The bottom line is Kolb isnt the absolute perfect QB for a MCD spread, but many feel hes a huge upgrade at the QB position.

I know a lot people feel that he would be an upgrade but what doesn't say about McDaniels feeling about Orton? If this is true then I think McDaniels isn't sold on Orton being a long term solution. It wouldn't matter if it was McNabb or Kolb.

Just another point Kolb played in a spread offense just like Orton. In fact Chaz pointed that out earlier in this thread.

silkamilkamonico
02-09-2010, 03:04 PM
You're going to judge his talent and ability on numbers from limited action? How about the fact that the last full game he played netted him NFC player of the week honors...or that 3 of those INT's came against the Saints when the Eagles were getting thrashed and he was forced to throw all game. Oh yeah, he also threw for almost 400 yards that game and 2 TD's.

You're judging his talent off 2 games. 1 against the 30th ranked defense in the NFL in the Chiefs, which happens to be your pearl for argument. That's almost an extreme comparison to a Tarvaris Jackson argument.

I also find it ironic that you criticize me for "judging his talent and ability on numbers from limited action", and then use 2 games for yours.

Yea he sucks

I dont doubt Philly will want a 2nd for him and I believe Reid would prefer to keep him. The only point any of us are making is that if there is a chance...why not ask questions? This is the NFL. EVERY player has a price tag

Let's not completely overreact here. Nobody's saying "he sucks", except you apparently. I simply stated that he's put up comparable numbers, in an extremely QB friendly offense as guys like Detmer and Feeley, and threw Garcia in for wishbone thinking. That's a fact.

silkamilkamonico
02-09-2010, 03:07 PM
I know a lot people feel that he would be an upgrade but what doesn't say about McDaniels feeling about Orton? If this is true then I think McDaniels isn't sold on Orton being a long term solution. It wouldn't matter if it was McNabb or Kolb.

Just another point Kolb played in a spread offense just like Orton. In fact Chaz pointed that out earlier in this thread.

I think the simple fact that Denver is inquiring about McNabb, especially under the circumstances of McNabb being older and injury prone, and Denver just coming off a year removed from Cutler, shows that McDaniels isn't sold on Orton as long term. And if that's the case, I wanna know why he feels Mcnabb, is.

CoachChaz
02-09-2010, 03:10 PM
You're judging his talent off 2 games. 1 against the 30th ranked defense in the NFL in the Chiefs, which happens to be your pearl for argument. That's almost an extreme comparison to a Tarvaris Jackson argument.

I also find it ironic that you criticize me for "judging his talent and ability on numbers from limited action", and then use 2 games for yours.

Merely using your limited basis for negativity and pointing out the positives.

No one is ready to say Kilb is the next Manning. Just saying that when it comes to young, strong-armed, game tested, spread capable QB's...spending a 2nd on a guy like Kolb is ALOT less risky than anyone in the draft and could be a VERY nice eventual upgrade from Orton.

It amazes me how there are people that will bash Orton relentlessly and then bash any possible replacement for him as well. ELWAY IS NOT COMING OUT OF RETIREMENT

CoachChaz
02-09-2010, 03:11 PM
I think the simple fact that Denver is inquiring about McNabb, especially under the circumstances of McNabb being older and injury prone, and Denver just coming off a year removed from Cutler, shows that McDaniels isn't sold on Orton as long term. And if that's the case, I wanna know why he feels Mcnabb, is.

Well...it's assumption that he is inquiring about McNabb. Report is that Denver is talking to Philly. People assume it's about McNabb. Might not be

silkamilkamonico
02-09-2010, 03:17 PM
Merely using your limited basis for negativity and pointing out the positives.

No one is ready to say Kilb is the next Manning. Just saying that when it comes to young, strong-armed, game tested, spread capable QB's...spending a 2nd on a guy like Kolb is ALOT less risky than anyone in the draft and could be a VERY nice eventual upgrade from Orton.

It amazes me how there are people that will bash Orton relentlessly and then bash any possible replacement for him as well. ELWAY IS NOT COMING OUT OF RETIREMENT

My limited basis for negativity? That's actually incorrect. I'm very negative on an organization that hasn't offered any positivity via success, or reassurance, since the late 90's. I had to listen to this "1 player away" BS from Shanahan for 6-7 years, now Denver actually has a coach I actually like, but can't get any stability whatsoever from.

And I didn't realize Kolb was the only possibly replacement for Orton. Sam Bradford on the other hand...yea.

TXBRONC
02-09-2010, 03:29 PM

Why would you come to conclusion that if McDaniels traded for McNabb that he would see him as long term solution? I haven't agreed with everything he's done but I also don't think he's stupid. There would that McDaniel would under delusion that a 33 year old quarterback that missed 17 games over last five is going to be around for another 5 to 10 seasons.

CoachChaz
02-09-2010, 03:35 PM
My limited basis for negativity? That's actually incorrect. I'm very negative on an organization that hasn't offered any positivity via success, or reassurance, since the late 90's. I had to listen to this "1 player away" BS from Shanahan for 6-7 years, now Denver actually has a coach I actually like, but can't get any stability whatsoever from.

And I didn't realize Kolb was the only possibly replacement for Orton. Sam Bradford on the other hand...yea.

I can get behind Bradford due to his familiarity with a spread...but with the injury and NO NFL experience...I'd go with Kolb for a more immediate improvement

Lonestar
02-09-2010, 04:39 PM
I suspect that many teams are inquiring about many players.

I do not think that Josh is unhappy with Orton because he is looking to bring bodies in.

If anyones head is on the block it is simms. A QB that many will remember as someone Mike liked a lot. Had we not gotten Jay I'd guess he may have been here earlier. I watched a lot of UT ball and frankly I was not impressed then either.

As for stability on the team for God sake it is ONE season removed from a purge of players not suited to be suited up in one side of the LOS and a massive shift to a power game opposed to a finnese game that sucked in the red zone for almost a decade.

It may take a couple of years to get all of the pieces playing on the same dance card.

TXBRONC
02-09-2010, 05:00 PM
I suspect that many teams are inquiring about many players.

I do not think that Josh is unhappy with Orton because he is looking to bring bodies in.

If anyones head is on the block it is simms. A QB that many will remember as someone Mike liked a lot. Had we not gotten Jay I'd guess he may have been here earlier. I watched a lot of UT ball and frankly I was not impressed then either.

As for stability on the team for God sake it is ONE season removed from a purge of players not suited to be suited up in one side of the LOS and a massive shift to a power game opposed to a finnese game that sucked in the red zone for almost a decade.

It may take a couple of years to get all of the pieces playing on the same dance card.

Let me see if I have this straight. You're saying if the rumor is true that McDaniels is inquiring about McNabb or Kolb it's to replace Simms? That's laughable. There is no way that McDaniels wouldn't be that stupid. If the rumor is true McNabb would be coming Denver to be a back up quarterback. :lol:

If it's Kolb he not start right away but in I it doesn't take an Ivy League education to understand that he would be looking to eventually replace Orton.

SOCALORADO.
02-09-2010, 05:20 PM

Myself and Chaz have actually discussed Kolb in a draft thread recently.
And yes he played the "spread" at HOU. And he was very good. He did have some bad habits, but from what i understand and have seen in his limited action with PHIL, he has rectified alot of these issues. He had alot of balls batted down at the LOS at HOU. and he had good throwing mechanics, but he needed some work, which he seems to have recieved in PHIL. Reid and his staff have done a solid job.
I could see Kolb being sent to DEN for possibly a 2nd and even a player. Maybe Sheffler or another player would be involved. I am sure PHIL will want compensation. Wouldnt suprise me if this was a draft day trade.

Northman
02-09-2010, 05:22 PM
I could see Kolb being sent to DEN for possibly a 2nd and even a player. Maybe Sheffler or another player would be involved. I am sure PHIL will want compensation. Wouldnt suprise me if this was a draft day trade.

Ill take it. Sold, lock the doors. :salute:

T.K.O.
02-09-2010, 05:29 PM

or maybe simms performance when called upon last season scared the crap out of mcD and he realizes we better get someone who does'nt absolutely suck as a back up and is just getting a jump on the offseason to find the best option.

ding ding....tell em' what he's won ......johnny !:elefant:

TXBRONC
02-09-2010, 05:46 PM
or maybe simms performance when called upon last season scared the crap out of mcD and he realizes we better get someone who does'nt absolutely suck as a back up and is just getting a jump on the offseason to find the best option.

ding ding....tell em' what he's won ......johnny !:elefant:

So like Jr you're saying that if rumor is true that McDaniels is talking to Eagles about McNabb or Kolb it would be as a back up quarterback? As I said to Jr. that's laughable.

Lonestar
02-09-2010, 09:29 PM
Let me see if I have this straight. You're saying if the rumor is true that McDaniels is inquiring about McNabb or Kolb it's to replace Simms? That's laughable. There is no way that McDaniels wouldn't be that stupid. If the rumor is true McNabb would be coming Denver to be a back up quarterback. :lol:

If it's Kolb he not start right away but in I it doesn't take an Ivy League education to understand that he would be looking to eventually replace Orton.

Just where did you get in MY post anything about Mcnabb coming here to back up Orton.

I have seen nothing in any of Joshs, Pats comments that have said anything negative about Orton. So unless your privy to something I'm not. My post was about Kolb coming in as a backup to replace simms (whom I said heads was on the Block).

Good leap trying to assume I said mcNabb was going to come as a backup. In fact I have never said that I'd lile him here as HE does not remotely play Josh Ball.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Just where did you get in MY post anything about Mcnabb coming here to back up Orton.

I have seen nothing in any of Joshs, Pats comments that have said anything negative about Orton. So unless your privy to something I'm not. My post was about Kolb coming in as a backup to replace simms (whom I said heads was on the Block).

Good leap trying to assume I said mcNabb was going to come as a backup. In fact I have never said that I'd lile him here as HE does not remotely play Josh Ball.

Josh ball? What, you mean football? Why is it that everyone thinks that McDaniels' offensive scheme is so damned confusing that it's impossible for any QB to comprehend it? It's football. It's got a playbook, and plays. It's not like these guys have never had to deal with a playbook before. Orton played in a bad system in Chicago and according to all the Orton lovers did "well" this season playing in this "uber complex" (yeah, right) offense. It's the same spread offense that half the college programs out there use - what a big secret! Bellichick and McDaniels admittedly stole a lot of it from Urban Myer.

This offense isn't any more complex than any other. You call the play that the coach calls into your headset and then you run it. It's not like McDaniels allows Orton to play Peyton Manning and call his own plays at the LOS. The "well, this system is complicated" line is just foolishness. Normally, you only hear it after a Broncos loss or if Orton has a bad game as an excuse to why. It's football, not rocket science. McDaniels' almighty "scheme" isn't any more complex than any other in the league. It's ridiculous how much that is thrown around. I have no doubt that any QB we bring in, be it a vet or a rookie, will be able to "learn the system" in the 3 months he gets before the season starts. Geez, I could damn near memorize The Bible in three months! :rolleyes:

Lonestar
02-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Josh ball? What, you mean football? Why is it that everyone thinks that McDaniels' offensive scheme is so damned confusing that it's impossible for any QB to comprehend it? It's football. It's got a playbook, and plays. It's not like these guys have never had to deal with a playbook before. Orton played in a bad system in Chicago and according to all the Orton lovers did "well" this season playing in this "uber complex" (yeah, right) offense. It's the same spread offense that half the college programs out there use - what a big secret! Bellichick and McDaniels admittedly stole a lot of it from Urban Myer.

This offense isn't any more complex than any other. You call the play that the coach calls into your headset and then you run it. It's not like McDaniels allows Orton to play Peyton Manning and call his own plays at the LOS. The "well, this system is complicated" line is just foolishness. Normally, you only hear it after a Broncos loss or if Orton has a bad game as an excuse to why. It's football, not rocket science. McDaniels' almighty "scheme" isn't any more complex than any other in the league. It's ridiculous how much that is thrown around. I have no doubt that any QB we bring in, be it a vet or a rookie, will be able to "learn the system" in the 3 months he gets before the season starts. Geez, I could damn near memorize The Bible in three months! :rolleyes:

Running a complex offense and that is what it is regardless of your position on it. It takes time to learn. Not to mention getting timing down with the receivers.

Knowing who is supposed to be where when and that means everyone on the field running the correct routes. It is built on timing and just as many (perhaps even yourself) said it took three years to learn and be comfortable with mikes system, Joshes in no less complicated.

Let me know when you have the Bible down pat OK?

Look I get it you dislike Orton because he is not Jay or John, but this scheme requires a SMART QB something the Mc Nabb has never been accused of.

He is a gifted athlete and in any other case I'd love to have him as a QB, but not for a couple of years, because of his injury issues, and the amount of money he is making in his final year of his contract.

I've always thought he got a raw deal in Philly as he was hated from the second he was announced as a draft choice.

silkamilkamonico
02-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Why would you come to conclusion that if McDaniels traded for McNabb that he would see him as long term solution? I haven't agreed with everything he's done but I also don't think he's stupid. There would that McDaniel would under delusion that a 33 year old quarterback that missed 17 games over last five is going to be around for another 5 to 10 seasons.

I don't. But it isn't like Philly is just going to give him away. What would we give for McNabb? What would you give? What would you give for a 33 year old QB that has missed 17 games over the last 5 years?

So, you would give up at the very least, a likely 2nd round pick to solidify the backup QB position?

So what would you guys give for an aging, injury prone, 33 year old QB to solidify the QB position, whether he backs up or moves Orton to backup? Would you guys consider giving a second round pick to solidify the backup QB position.

I don't know how Philly see's his career right now, but he's far more valuable than for Philly to just give away.

Would you guys trade Marshall, or Dumervil, to solidify our backup QB position?

HORSEPOWER 56
02-10-2010, 12:11 AM
Running a complex offense and that is what it is regardless of your position on it. It takes time to learn. Not to mention getting timing down with the receivers.

Knowing who is supposed to be where when and that means everyone on the field running the correct routes. It is built on timing and just as many (perhaps even yourself) said it took three years to learn and be comfortable with mikes system, Joshes in no less complicated.

Let me know when you have the Bible down pat OK?

Look I get it you dislike Orton because he is not Jay or John, but this scheme requires a SMART QB something the Mc Nabb has never been accused of.

He is a gifted athlete and in any other case I'd love to have him as a QB, but not for a couple of years, because of his injury issues, and the amount of money he is making in his final year of his contract.

I've always thought he got a raw deal in Philly as he was hated from the second he was announced as a draft choice.

ALL OFFENSES ARE COMPLEX THESE DAYS, JR!!! Do you really think that McDaniels' offense is any more complex than Shanahan's, is any more complex than Andy Reid's (Marty Morninwheg's)? It's not. Terminology is a little different and some of the sets are a little different but the same rules apply to everyone. Protection schemes are protection schemes, WR routes are the same no matter what system you run, blocking is blocking (it's just a matter of who you block between a power style or zone style scheme).

These are PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL PLAYERS. They're not a bunch of rookies who have never seen a pro playbook before. You say McNabb's not a "smart QB" - who the hell cares? It's the coach's job to COACH his players. If McDaniels is such a GREAT COACH, he shouldn't have a problem teaching any pro QB, right?

You'll never convince me that Jake Plummer was a cerebral QB, but Shanahan did just fine "coaching him up" on the playbook. Andy Reid's playbook and Mike Shanahan's playbook are very similar because both came from the same tree. Just about every FA QB that goes to a different team would fall flat on his ass his first year while he re-learns the new system if what you're saying is true.

I strongly doubt that if we brought in McNabb that he wouldn't "get it". Honestly, do you think McDaniels even talked to Kyle Orton much less gave him an I.Q. test prior to trading for him and handing him the keys to the offense and this "extremely complex scheme that only McDaniels and now Orton can figure out"? No. Orton just wasn't a complete moron (McNabb isn't either) and he can read a playbook.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-10-2010, 12:20 AM
I don't. But it isn't like Philly is just going to give him away. What would we give for McNabb? What would you give? What would you give for a 33 year old QB that has missed 17 games over the last 5 years?

So, you would give up at the very least, a likely 2nd round pick to solidify the backup QB position?

So what would you guys give for an aging, injury prone, 33 year old QB to solidify the QB position, whether he backs up or moves Orton to backup? Would you guys consider giving a second round pick to solidify the backup QB position.

I don't know how Philly see's his career right now, but he's far more valuable than for Philly to just give away.

We have the luxury as fans to look way down the road and weigh the consequences. McDaniels does not. He has to produce results, now. Bowlen himself talked about drafting a new QB in the draft, 2 days later, we contacted Philly about McNabb. Do you think we're set with a our QB situation? Do you think McDaniels, and more importantly, the Broncos can get a playoff win with Orton at the helm? If McDaniels isn't positive, he's going to try to fix it. I think he's starting to realize that Bowlen isn't going to wait much longer.

Bowlen fired Wade Phillips after 2 years. McDaniels' short stint thus far hasn't yielded any more wins than the previous coach but it has put Denver in the spotlight for a lot of negative press. Do you think Bowlen won't fire McDaniels after 2 years if he's not satisfied? Let's say we drop 2 more games this year and fall to 6-10. Do you think McDaniels still has a job? McDaniels needs to win, not spend time trying to develop and babysit a career backup QB.

To answer your question, I'd give up a second round pick in a heartbeat for Donovan McNabb. With our track record of second round picks, can you name one we've had in the past ten years that is better than Donovan is, even at 33 years old? I didn't think so.

Lonestar
02-10-2010, 12:35 AM
ALL OFFENSES ARE COMPLEX THESE DAYS, JR!!! Do you really think that McDaniels' offense is any more complex than Shanahan's, is any more complex than Andy Reid's (Marty Morninwheg's)? It's not. Terminology is a little different and some of the sets are a little different but the same rules apply to everyone. Protection schemes are protection schemes, WR routes are the same no matter what system you run, blocking is blocking (it's just a matter of who you block between a power style or zone style scheme).

These are PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL PLAYERS. They're not a bunch of rookies who have never seen a pro playbook before. You say McNabb's not a "smart QB" - who the hell cares? It's the coach's job to COACH his players. If McDaniels is such a GREAT COACH, he shouldn't have a problem teaching any pro QB, right?

You'll never convince me that Jake Plummer was a cerebral QB, but Shanahan did just fine "coaching him up" on the playbook. Andy Reid's playbook and Mike Shanahan's playbook are very similar because both came from the same tree. Just about every FA QB that goes to a different team would fall flat on his ass his first year while he re-learns the new system if what you're saying is true.

I strongly doubt that if we brought in McNabb that he wouldn't "get it". Honestly, do you think McDaniels even talked to Kyle Orton much less gave him an I.Q. test prior to trading for him and handing him the keys to the offense and this "extremely complex scheme that only McDaniels and now Orton can figure out"? No. Orton just wasn't a complete moron (McNabb isn't either) and he can read a playbook.

If you say so..

I listen to what John Elway has said, I've listened to what everyone else (mike, Josh, Belicheck) says that a Qb does not get comfortable in new scheme for two to three years.

If you wish to believe they are interchangeable as BVD's we will have to agree to disagree.

Wow what hostility, time to take a chill pill.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-10-2010, 12:47 AM
If you say so..

I listen to what John Elway has said, I've listened to what everyone else (mike, Josh, Belicheck) says that a Qb does not get comfortable in new scheme for two to three years.

If you wish to believe they are interchangeable as BVD's we will have to agree to disagree.

Wow what hostility, time to take a chill pill.

It's not meant to come off as hostile, but sometimes the excuses for poor performance that you hear week in and week out around the league (not just in Broncoland) are just that - excuses. We didn't lose the week 16, or 15, or 14 games last year because Kyle Orton wasn't "comfortable in the system", we lost because as a team we failed to execute. Orton didn't throw 2 Ints in week 16 that led to 14 points because he wasn't "comfortable" in the system or didn't understand the playbook. He misread the defense and made bad passes, period. That's my point. Sometimes you just can't blame the "system".

silkamilkamonico
02-10-2010, 01:05 AM
Do you think we're set with a our QB situation?

Certainly not set, and certainly do not believe McNabb is the answer. Mainly because every QB who has ever really run that offense has been successful. Do you really think McNabb is the answer, for a second round pick, when he doesn't really outperform his backup QB's significantly? Andy Reid's system turned AJ Feeley into a second round talent value QB. AJ Feeley. I have a concern on the value of a starting QB when the backup QB comes in and does basically the same thing.

Do you think Bowlen won't fire McDaniels after 2 years if he's not satisfied? Let's say we drop 2 more games this year and fall to 6-10. Do you think McDaniels still has a job?

I think he fires McDaniels. And I honestly believe, at that point, Denver joins the Raiders, Chiefs, Browns, Lions, etc has a bottom tier failing franchise with whomever the next coach is.

To answer your question, I'd give up a second round pick in a heartbeat for Donovan McNabb. With our track record of second round picks, can you name one we've had in the past ten years that is better than Donovan is, even at 33 years old? I didn't think so.

I don't think McNabb and his briddle body is worth a second round pick, considering the system he's come from, and especially considering his recent failure of big games, and injury riddled seasons, regardless of the state of our organization.

Poet
02-10-2010, 01:14 AM
McNabb would make your team a real contender if the defense stays a good unit.

Broncolingus
02-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Orton will (have to) suffice for the next year or two...I agree he iis not who I want for the next 10 years, but having a good/above average OL and DL (and defense) can make a average QB 'look' good...

After Denver fixes the issues on the DL (finally) and OL, then look to get the 'QB of the future' in here via draft or FA next season...

JMO...

CoachChaz
02-10-2010, 09:03 AM
Certainly not set, and certainly do not believe McNabb is the answer. Mainly because every QB who has ever really run that offense has been successful. Do you really think McNabb is the answer, for a second round pick, when he doesn't really outperform his backup QB's significantly? Andy Reid's system turned AJ Feeley into a second round talent value QB. AJ Feeley. I have a concern on the value of a starting QB when the backup QB comes in and does basically the same thing.

So because someone chose to overpay for Feely, he is immediately considered equal? ONE team offered a 2nd for him and Philly jumped on it.

As far as backups coming in and mirroring McNabb numbers...I think you have to look a little further into the game than that. Any backup that you insist performed as well as McNabb has had their success in a very different way. They didnt put up the same numbers...didnt hit the same receiver, etc. They won games because the team is designed that way.

Maybe I'm crazy...but isnt a backup suppose to be able to step in and run a team? I wasnt aware that the team was immediately suppose to suck and lose if the starter went down. if insisting that Feely and Detmer are equal to McNabb's talent fits your argument, then please continue with it. but you are way off bas eon this one

TXBRONC
02-10-2010, 09:53 AM

If you have been following what I've said then you know that I'm not in favor of trading for McNabb. In fact the things you posed in your first question about McNabb being 33 years old and having missed 17 games over the last 5 years are just two of the reasons I wouldn't bring in McNabb. While McNabb would be an upgrade over Orton in my opinion it be trading for another short term solution.

That should answer your question about what would I trade for McNabb there isn't a realistic trade scenario that I could see as appealing. Besides that no coach in his right mind is going to trade first day draft capital or for that young starters for McNabb to be a back up quarterback.

If Kolb is actually the target that would be different in my opinion. But it would be my guess that McDaniels would still be looking for same end result.

Finally I'm not sure why you bring up Marshall and Dumervil as trade bait unless you're looking for a way to criticize the both of them. Anyone who knows anything about the Eagles knows that wide receiver and defensive end/outside linebacker are two positions that they have covered.

TXBRONC
02-10-2010, 10:09 AM
It's not meant to come off as hostile, but sometimes the excuses for poor performance that you hear week in and week out around the league (not just in Broncoland) are just that - excuses. We didn't lose the week 16, or 15, or 14 games last year because Kyle Orton wasn't "comfortable in the system", we lost because as a team we failed to execute. Orton didn't throw 2 Ints in week 16 that led to 14 points because he wasn't "comfortable" in the system or didn't understand the playbook. He misread the defense and made bad passes, period. That's my point. Sometimes you just can't blame the "system".

Agreed. Over the course of the entire he didn't seem get real comfortable in the offense.

CoachChaz
02-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Interesting info from another website. Seems Philly fans would rather keep Kolb and then Vick

Today's "Stay or Go" poll elicited quite a response. More than 11,000 -- as of 4:30 p.m. -- voted on the interactive system set up by philly.com that allowed readers to cast a vote for which Eagles players (and coaches) should stay or go. I got the ball rolling in today's paper (which you can also find here), although I did not include coaches or management, as philly.com did. The Web site, however, narrowed the list down to an essential number of players that aren't as much of a slam dunk as, say, DeSean Jackson would be. Although there are some that garnered an overwhelming "Stay" vote.

I differed with the readers on several players, including Eldra Buckley, Max Jean-Gilles, Darren Howard, Jason Babin, Trevor Laws, Omar Gaither and Macho Harris. Here's the voting as of approximately 4:30 p.m. There were some curious choices.

Quarterback
Donovan McNabb: Stay, 3779 (32.6%); Go, 7798 (67.4%). Total votes = 11577.
Michael Vick: Stay, 3589 (33.9%); Go, 6990 (66.1%). Total votes = 10576.
Kevin Kolb: Stay, 9215 (88.8%); Go, 1163 (11.2%). Total votes = 10376.

Yes, McNabb received more "Go" votes than Vick. Amazing.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...e_results.html

Lonestar
02-10-2010, 01:45 PM
The fans of Philly are Mc Nabb haters from the moment he was drafted. His announcement was greeted with a chorus of Boo's.

So inspite of him being a hell of a QB and doing a lot of charity stuff in the area. This does not surprise me at all as IMHO their lots of their fans are rabid dogs opposed to thinking folks.

City of Brotherly love does not exsist for Donovan.

silkamilkamonico
02-10-2010, 02:22 PM
So because someone chose to overpay for Feely, he is immediately considered equal? ONE team offered a 2nd for him and Philly jumped on it.

As far as backups coming in and mirroring McNabb numbers...I think you have to look a little further into the game than that. Any backup that you insist performed as well as McNabb has had their success in a very different way. They didnt put up the same numbers...didnt hit the same receiver, etc. They won games because the team is designed that way.

Maybe I'm crazy...but isnt a backup suppose to be able to step in and run a team? I wasnt aware that the team was immediately suppose to suck and lose if the starter went down. if insisting that Feely and Detmer are equal to McNabb's talent fits your argument, then please continue with it. but you are way off bas eon this one

I totally agree. And if our offensive scheme was "designed" that way, we wouldn't need to fix our issues with a backup QB, because it would be designed for anyone to come in and run it. Like Philly's.

silkamilkamonico
02-10-2010, 02:24 PM
If you have been following what I've said then you know that I'm not in favor of trading for McNabb. In fact the things you posed in your first question about McNabb being 33 years old and having missed 17 games over the last 5 years are just two of the reasons I wouldn't bring in McNabb. While McNabb would be an upgrade over Orton in my opinion it be trading for another short term solution.

That should answer your question about what would I trade for McNabb there isn't a realistic trade scenario that I could see as appealing. Besides that no coach in his right mind is going to trade first day draft capital or for that young starters for McNabb to be a back up quarterback.

If Kolb is actually the target that would be different in my opinion. But it would be my guess that McDaniels would still be looking for same end result.

Finally I'm not sure why you bring up Marshall and Dumervil as trade bait unless you're looking for a way to criticize the both of them. Anyone who knows anything about the Eagles knows that wide receiver and defensive end/outside linebacker are two positions that they have covered.

You were the one insinuating that I was thinking McDaniels thought McNabb was a long term solution. You also said McDaniels isn't stupid, which I agree with. I would hope McDaniels, who is rumored about inquiring for McNabb, isn't going to trade a second round pick or more, which is what it will likely take to get McNabb, for a gu ythat he sees as a stop gap for 2 years or whatever.

That would be stupid.

TXBRONC
02-10-2010, 03:05 PM
You were the one insinuating that I was thinking McDaniels thought McNabb was a long term solution. You also said McDaniels isn't stupid, which I agree with. I would hope McDaniels, who is rumored about inquiring for McNabb, isn't going to trade a second round pick or more, which is what it will likely take to get McNabb, for a gu ythat he sees as a stop gap for 2 years or whatever.

That would be stupid.

I'm just going by what you said in response to me a few pages back. Here's that post, maybe you can see why I came to that conclusion.

That aside it looks like we're in agreement.

Poet
02-10-2010, 03:11 PM
McNabb isn't worth a second round draft pick?

He's already shown he can produce with bare scraps at WR, and if Marshall is on the team that's not the case. If Marshall is off the team odds are good that you used some of those picks for young WRs which McNabb can light up a field with.

He can mitigate some of the shakiness of your line because he's still pretty mobile and he opens up the playbook because of his arm.

I understand that his health is an issue. On the bright side, every team he plays against has a pretty good defense. The Cowboys have a good pass rush, the Redskins do and Giants do as well. I think the only team with a good pass rush is a healthy SD team.

I think he could do a lot for your team. Eddie Royal and Gaffney are certainly better than James Thrash and Freddie Mitchell.

If it's a stop gap, it's certainly a good one, especially if you deal Marshall because then you can take a QB and groom him.

I'm not saying you guy would been SB contenders, but you may be able to be truly playoff competitive and groom a young QB that you're high on.

silkamilkamonico
02-10-2010, 03:25 PM
I'm just going by what you said in response to me a few pages back. Here's that post, maybe you can see why I came to that conclusion.

That aside it looks like we're in agreement.

Right, that's what I mean. I am insinuating McDaniels feels McNabb is some sort of mid to long term answer, because it's going to take significant value in getting him. Now, if Mcdaniels feels he needs to give significant value for a guy he thinks is just a stop gap, on a team that isn't a guy or two away from competiing, then he's just a damn fool, and setting this organization back even more.

silkamilkamonico
02-10-2010, 03:28 PM
McNabb isn't worth a second round draft pick?

He's already shown he can produce with bare scraps at WR, and if Marshall is on the team that's not the case. If Marshall is off the team odds are good that you used some of those picks for young WRs which McNabb can light up a field with.

He can mitigate some of the shakiness of your line because he's still pretty mobile and he opens up the playbook because of his arm.

I understand that his health is an issue. On the bright side, every team he plays against has a pretty good defense. The Cowboys have a good pass rush, the Redskins do and Giants do as well. I think the only team with a good pass rush is a healthy SD team.

I think he could do a lot for your team. Eddie Royal and Gaffney are certainly better than James Thrash and Freddie Mitchell.

If it's a stop gap, it's certainly a good one, especially if you deal Marshall because then you can take a QB and groom him.

I'm not saying you guy would been SB contenders, but you may be able to be truly playoff competitive and groom a young QB that you're high on.

Wer're not anywhere near truly competing, and we're certainly not SuperBowl contenders. We have major issues along both interior lines. Major issues. If you think a Qb is going to come in and make us competitive with no major significant changes along the oline/dline, I think you'd be seriously mistaken.

We are piss poor along both dline and oline interiors.

IMHO, you trade a second round pick for a stop guy that is the final piece of some kind of missing puzzle. Not to help groom a young guy.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Wer're not anywhere near truly competing, and we're certainly not SuperBowl contenders. We have major issues along both interior lines. Major issues. If you think a Qb is going to come in and make us competitive with no major significant changes along the oline/dline, I think you'd be seriously mistaken.

We are piss poor along both dline and oline interiors.

IMHO, you trade a second round pick for a stop guy that is the final piece of some kind of missing puzzle. Not to help groom a young guy.

So 8-8 isn't "anywhere near truly competing"? Had we won one, maybe two more games we'd have been in the playoffs. That is pretty competitive. Would we have been likely to beat Indy, no, but who gave the Jets a chance to beat the all powerful Chokers in SD? The Jets and Ravens really weren't any better than we were, we just couldn't decide what kind of team we wanted to be on offense and by the end of the season the defense had been figured out and was worn down.

silkamilkamonico
02-10-2010, 05:20 PM
So 8-8 isn't "anywhere near truly competing"? Had we won one, maybe two more games we'd have been in the playoffs. That is pretty competitive. Would we have been likely to beat Indy, no, but who gave the Jets a chance to beat the all powerful Chokers in SD? The Jets and Ravens really weren't any better than we were, we just couldn't decide what kind of team we wanted to be on offense and by the end of the season the defense had been figured out and was worn down.

For a SuperBowl, yea. The only reason we were competitive for the playoffs was because of a stretch of 6 games. That's not even half the season.

I also think it's more glaring, because Denver is in a position where were going to have to spend a lot of money, just to retain what we had last year. The Jets are solidified at almost anywehere with money, and they will look to build on to what they already have. I think that's 2 distinctive directions that show how far apart both teams actually are.

BroncoBJ
02-10-2010, 05:29 PM
If Shanny was still here and we got McNabb then I'd be all for it. But if its McDaniels who gets McNabb then I will hate the move and want him fired. :fight:

Lonestar
02-10-2010, 05:47 PM
HP56 you can't be serious about this team being competitive at the end of the year.

At best had we won that last game we would have been blown out the next game.

Our D could not remotely stop the run. And we could not run the ball to remotely keep the defense honest NOR give our QB any time in the pocket. Even without the Blitz the Oline was getting their asses kicked.

Why go to the PO's to get blown out and possibly having to set up a Mash unit for ensusing injuries.

JONtheBRONCO
02-10-2010, 06:26 PM
The Broncos are denying an ESPN report that they have had discussions with the Eagles about a potential trade for Donovan McNabb.

ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reported on Super Bowl Sunday that the sides have had "multiple" conversations about McNabb. According to the Denver Post, the "feeling around the league" is that McNabb will finish out his contract in Philadelphia. The Post adds that there is belief Michael Vick "has been assured" by the Eagles that he will be traded before April's draft.

Source: Denver Post

Related: Michael Vick, Broncos

HORSEPOWER 56
02-10-2010, 07:57 PM
HP56 you can't be serious about this team being competitive at the end of the year.

At best had we won that last game we would have been blown out the next game.

Our D could not remotely stop the run. And we could not run the ball to remotely keep the defense honest NOR give our QB any time in the pocket. Even without the Blitz the Oline was getting their asses kicked.

Why go to the PO's to get blown out and possibly having to set up a Mash unit for ensusing injuries.

I discussed just that in my previous post. We were competitive with an 8-8 record. If the offense could've converted on some 3rd downs and not kept the defense on the field for 40+ minutes a game, then maybe they wouldn't have gotten their asses kicked as badly as they did late in the season. The bottom line is, the only reason we're drafting possibly top 10 is because of the trade.

We're not Detroit, or Oakland, or KC, or St Louis. At the start of this off-season when McDaniels was hired, we were a young offensive juggernaut that needed a defensive overhaul to be a competitor in the playoffs. Now, according to you, we need all kinds of help on both sides of the ball (basically a rebuild of both lines). If you guys think we're closer now to being one of those bottom 10 teams than we are to the Jets and Ravens, then McDaniels is as good as fired. If we don't make the playoffs this year, I guarantee you he's gone.

2-8 was because of poor coaching and the inability/unwillingness to adjust to what other teams were doing. It's not like the 6-0 Broncos just stopped playing and handed their jerseys to the Columbine High School football team.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-10-2010, 08:03 PM
The Broncos are denying an ESPN report that they have had discussions with the Eagles about a potential trade for Donovan McNabb.

ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reported on Super Bowl Sunday that the sides have had "multiple" conversations about McNabb. According to the Denver Post, the "feeling around the league" is that McNabb will finish out his contract in Philadelphia. The Post adds that there is belief Michael Vick "has been assured" by the Eagles that he will be traded before April's draft.

Source: Denver Post

Related: Michael Vick, Broncos

Hmm, Sal Paolantonio or the Denver Post... Which one is really telling it like it is? I strongly doubt Paolantonio would've put his name on it if it weren't true. It would've just been "anonymous sources".

This sounds a lot like another "we just picked up the phone" thing. If the Front Office really did call Philly about anyone, why would they deny it and start this he-said she-said BS all over again? It just doesn't make sense, but I have little doubt that it is exactly what's going on. I'd bet our FO isn't being honest and that both ESPN and the Post are reporting what they believe is the truth. It's all too familiar not to be true with the current regime.

T.K.O.
02-10-2010, 09:33 PM
Broncos deny interest in McNabb
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 10, 2010 6:23 PM ET
Sal Paolantonio said Sunday that three teams have spoken to the Eagles about Donovan McNabb: Buffalo, Cleveland, and Denver.

The Broncos are the only team in the group with an established starting quarterback, so it's no surprise they told the Denver Post there is "no truth" to the report.

Perhaps the Broncos are just covering their tracks. Why not deny it?

Still, this is an odd fit. Josh McDaniels' offense is much different than Andy Reid's and we can't imagine the Broncos giving up the compensation required to get McNabb.

If the Eagles are going to trade McNabb or Kevin Kolb -- and we doubt they will -- the suitor will have to be desperate enough to give up major compensation. Kyle Orton played well enough last season that the Broncos should not be that desperate.

TXBRONC
02-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Broncos deny interest in McNabb
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 10, 2010 6:23 PM ET
Sal Paolantonio said Sunday that three teams have spoken to the Eagles about Donovan McNabb: Buffalo, Cleveland, and Denver.

The Broncos are the only team in the group with an established starting quarterback, so it's no surprise they told the Denver Post there is "no truth" to the report.

Perhaps the Broncos are just covering their tracks. Why not deny it?

Still, this is an odd fit. Josh McDaniels' offense is much different than Andy Reid's and we can't imagine the Broncos giving up the compensation required to get McNabb.

If the Eagles are going to trade McNabb or Kevin Kolb -- and we doubt they will -- the suitor will have to be desperate enough to give up major compensation. Kyle Orton played well enough last season that the Broncos should not be that desperate.

McDaniels denied that was going to trade Cutler so considering how that ended up I wouldn't upfront about this either. Besides that if it is true that he's looking into trading for McNabb or Kolb he should try be careful not alienate Orton since he is free agent.

SOCALORADO.
02-11-2010, 09:33 AM
1st off, Sal Palantonio is a total brown nosing clown who will say or do anything to make up a story.
He more than likely heard through the grapevine that DEN might be talking to PHIL, and instead of actually doing any knowledgeable research on DEN, he just assumed it was for McNabb, and figured there was nothing to talk about, so why not make up a rumor.
I think DEN did talk to PHIL and may still be talking, but its not for Mcnabb, its for Kolb.
Theres absolutely no reason to bring in McNabb, and a ton of obvious reasons to be interested in Kolb.

Shazam!
02-11-2010, 09:41 AM
If Shanny was still here and we got McNabb then I'd be all for it. But if its McDaniels who gets McNabb then I will hate the move and want him fired.

What?