PDA

View Full Version : Manning Not the G.Q.B.O.A.T

Overtime
02-08-2010, 02:51 AM
for all the nut swinging over Manning, he's not the greatest to ever play the game.

Peyton Manning has had multiple double digit win teams (since 2003, they haven't won less than 12 games in a regular season), only made it to the Super Bowl twice, beat up on an overrated Bears team that had a terrible quarterback, and then got his ass handed to him when he finally played a great team with a great offense and a great defense.

He's been slapped around by the Patriots numerous times in the regular and post season. Been owned by the Chargers and Steelers. He's 9-9 in the playoffs, 1-1 in Super Bowls. He's great during the regular season, when he's playing Houston, and the Raiders, and the Lions, and the Broncos (of late)...but when he plays a real team of equal caliber, he's not so great. In the playoffs he's a different fella.

For all the talent the Colts have, they should have won at least 4 Super Bowl's this past decade...at least 4 if not more.

so why is Peyton not that great? Because he's done so little, with so much talent.

John Elway? Way greater than Manning will ever be. Why? He always had mediocre talent around him for so many years, and the guy carried teams on his back to 3 super bowls, and because he didn't have the necessary talent, or a competent head coach, he could never get over the hump in those 3 super bowl losses.

When he finally got some talent to help, and a competent head coach, not only did Denver dominate the league in 96, 97, and 98, but they won a pair of Super Bowl's.

Manning's had guys like Harrison, Clark, Pollard, Addai, Wayne, Stokely, Edgerrin James, Saturday, Collie, and Garcon and all the other guys he's been surrounded with since his 3rd year in the league.

Elway never had guys like that until the final 3-4 years of his career, but he always rallied those guys and got them to play above their talent level.

I'm not saying Manning isn't a good QB, and the records he's set are a good accomplishment, and all the passing yards, but when you have the best receivers, tight end and O-line in pro football for 10 years and all you can muster is 1 super bowl win? you're not as great as you've been built up to be.

Tom Brady's done more with way less too! All 3 of his super bowl victories, he never had super star caliber talent (WR, RB, or TE's), but he always got those guys to take their game to another level anyhow and believe in themselves. Manning doesn't do that, and that's why he's not the Greatest QB of all time, and that's why he won't be either.

Manning will be a HOF'er, and in no way can I say he shouldn't be, but is he the greatest? Not by a long shot. But he's definitely a Top 10 qb.

My Top 10 QB's of all Time
Joe Montana
Tom Brady
John Elway
Dan Marino
Troy Aikman
Terry Bradshaw
Bart Starr
Peyton Manning
Drew Brees
Len Dawson

Broncolingus
02-08-2010, 02:53 AM
for all the nut swinging over Manning, he's not the greatest to ever play the game.

Peyton Manning has had multiple double digit win teams (since 2003, they haven't won less than 12 games in a regular season), only made it to the Super Bowl twice, beat up on an overrated Bears team that had a terrible quarterback, and then got his ass handed to him when he finally played a great team with a great offense and a great defense.

He's been slapped around by the Patriots numerous times in the regular and post season. Been owned by the Chargers and Steelers. He's 9-9 in the playoffs, 1-1 in Super Bowls. He's great during the regular season, when he's playing Houston, and the Raiders, and the Lions, and the Broncos (of late)...but when he plays a real team of equal caliber, he's not so great. In the playoffs he's a different fella.

For all the talent the Colts have, they should have won at least 4 Super Bowl's this past decade...at least 4 if not more.

so why is Peyton not that great? Because he's done so little, with so much talent.

John Elway? Way greater than Manning will ever be. Why? He always had mediocre talent around him for so many years, and the guy carried teams on his back to 3 super bowls, and because he didn't have the necessary talent, or a competent head coach, he could never get over the hump in those 3 super bowl losses.

When he finally got some talent to help, and a competent head coach, not only did Denver dominate the league in 96, 97, and 98, but they won a pair of Super Bowl's.

Manning's had guys like Harrison, Clark, Pollard, Addai, Wayne, Stokely, Edgerrin James, Saturday, Collie, and Garconand all the other guys he's been surrounded with since his 3rd year in the league.

Elway never had guys like that until the final 3-4 years of his career, but he always rallied those guys and got them to play above their talent level.

I'm not saying Manning isn't a good QB, and the records he's set are a good accomplishment, and all the passing yards, but when you have the best receivers, tight end and O-line in pro football for 10 years and all you can muster is 1 super bowl win? you're not as great as you've been built up to be.

Tom Brady's done more with way less too! All 3 of his super bowl victories, he never had super star caliber talent (WR, RB, or TE's), but he always got those guys to take their game to another level anyhow and believe in themselves. Manning doesn't do that, and that's why he's not the Greatest QB of all time, and that's why he won't be either.

Manning will be a HOF'er, and in no way can I say he shouldn't be, but is he the greatest? Not by a long shot. But he's definitely a Top 10 qb.

Joe Montana
Tom Brady
John Elway
Dan Marino
Troy Aikman
Terry Bradshaw
Bart Starr
Peyton Manning
Drew Brees
Len Dawson

Welcome back, OT...

John Elway was the best ever...

...no other QB in NFL history could do more with less than #7.

Overtime
02-08-2010, 02:55 AM
i gotta disagree with ya there Broncolingus...Tom Brady has done more with less.

he won 3 Super Bowls, with less talent than what Elway had, but I don't think you can really argue with the performances of Joe Montana...guy could make gold out of soggy macaroni.

Broncolingus
02-08-2010, 02:57 AM
i gotta disagree with ya there Broncolingus...Tom Brady has done more with less.

he won 3 Super Bowls, with less talent than what Elway had, but I don't think you can really argue with the performances of Joe Montana...guy could make gold out of soggy macaroni.

No problem, brother...I'm a little bias I'm sure.

I'd still take #7 over anyone though...

...again, welcome back.

Overtime
02-08-2010, 03:02 AM
man i'm right there with ya, love Elway, and he's in my top 3...but even I got give the credit where it's due.

now if Peyton Manning had won 3 or 4 super bowls on top of all he's accomplished? yeah he'd be number one, but he hasn't, and he won't.

sure he's won 4 MVP's...and I honestly don't think he deserved it this year...he had several multi-int games this year, and I think it was very biased of the voters who ignored what Chris Johnson did, because that kid was phenomenal...2000+ yards this season, and not only that...he called his shot before the season in training camp and said he would get 2000 yards, and he played in all 16 games from start to finish. Peyton just got the nod for MVP because he's Peyton, and he didn't even play all 16 games start to finish.

sneakers
02-08-2010, 04:09 AM
Sorry the press had the coronation ceremony last week....you are too late. :D

BroncoBJ
02-08-2010, 05:15 AM
Well, I agree with some of it. But how can you put Marino ahead of Manning when Manning has done more in the regular season and post season then Marino? Hes done something that Marino has never done and thats win a ring.

Now don't start talking about how Dilfer deserves a ring. :fight: But you talk about how Manning chokes and all that and never wins the big game and what not. When you can say the same for Danny boy. :salute:

SR
02-08-2010, 06:36 AM
Peyton Manning, skill wise and intelligence about the game wise, is the best QB ever. I'll argue that until the day I die.

Northman
02-08-2010, 07:31 AM
Welcome back, OT...

Exactly. This is why i just cant put any other QB in front of him. John had to make a lot of his plays to even get to those championship games to begin with. Montana is definitely #2 but never in John's class as a individual. Same can be said for any other HOF QB.

Northman
02-08-2010, 07:34 AM
Peyton Manning, skill wise and intelligence about the game wise, is the best QB ever. I'll argue that until the day I die.

Disagree. Yes, Manning is one of the best cerebral QB's to ever play the game but talent wise John was head and shoulders above him. Had Manning had to deal with the type of line that John had early in his career Manning would of never survived nor would he have been able to make those kinds of plays on the fly. If there ever was a QB who needed a great line to be successful Manning is the guy. He's great but nowhere near the greatest of alltime.

MNPatsFan
02-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Peyton Manning, skill wise and intelligence about the game wise, is the best QB ever. I'll argue that until the day I die.I agree, best QB ever ...
during the regular season,
to choke during the post season,
to throw killer interceptions during the playoffs (very close between Favre and Manning),
at putting up stats but failing to deliver and win in the playoffs,
etc.

I could go on but every one understands what I am saying.:D

MasterShake
02-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Disagree. Yes, Manning is one of the best cerebral QB's to ever play the game but talent wise John was head and shoulders above him. Had Manning had to deal with the type of line that John had early in his career Manning would of never survived nor would he have been able to make those kinds of plays on the fly. If there ever was a QB who needed a great line to be successful Manning is the guy. He's great but nowhere near the greatest of alltime.

Agree, Manning is a good smart QB but a lot of that has to do with his decisions and the amount of time he had to make them. When the line breaks down and the QB has to roll out and throw 60 yards across his body, only one name comes to my mind because I've only seen one QB do it- ELWAY! :lol:

KCL
02-08-2010, 10:59 AM
I agree, best QB ever ...
during the regular season,
to choke during the post season,
to throw killer interceptions during the playoffs (very close between Favre and Manning),
at putting up stats but failing to deliver and win in the playoffs,
etc.

I could go on but every one understands what I am saying.:D

UH...I think you're getting Manning and Rivers mixed up...:lol:

girler
02-08-2010, 11:03 AM
You had me until you put Brady over Elway. :throwrock:

MNPatsFan
02-08-2010, 11:04 AM
UH...I think you're getting Manning and Rivers mixed up...:lol:LOL Well I will admit that Rivers also meets all of those qualifications, but at this time he is merely the student and understudy of Peyton Manning. Some day in the future he may surpass Manning and take over the mantle, but not today :laugh::laugh:

KCL
02-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Manning is a great QB..The Colts were outplayed...throwing that pick sealed the win for the Saints.

I think it's hard to argue who is the best at what position..I have listened to programs talking about football from years ago...back when they played with a sore toe,sore ankles and so on and so forth..back when football players had to work for a living during the off season..them were some great tough players back then...but we all have opinions..Joe Montana was one of the greats...he came to KC towards the end of his career and led them into a game that the Chiefs hadn't been close to in a long time and haven't been in since he played for us.

MNPatsFan
02-08-2010, 11:06 AM
You had me until you put Brady over Elway. :throwrock:The truth hurts doesn't it girler!;)

:D

KCL
02-08-2010, 11:07 AM
Agree, Manning is a good smart QB but a lot of that has to do with his decisions and the amount of time he had to make them. When the line breaks down and the QB has to roll out and throw 60 yards across his body, only one name comes to my mind because I've only seen one QB do it- ELWAY! :lol:

one thing I like about Manning...he'll throw the ball away if he needs to instead of holding onto the ball and getting sacked...I see alot of QBs wait and wait looking for an open rec and end up getting sacked...he makes the right decision quickly pretty much all the time.

EMB6903
02-08-2010, 11:08 AM
there is no doubt peyton is the best I've ever seen.

MNPatsFan
02-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Manning is a great QB..The Colts were outplayed...throwing that pick sealed the win for the Saints.

I think it's hard to argue who is the best at what position..I have listened to programs talking about football from years ago...back when they played with a sore toe,sore ankles and so on and so forth..back when football players had to work for a living during the off season..them were some great tough players back then...but we all have opinions..Joe Montana was one of the greats...he came to KC towards the end of his career and led them into a game that the Chiefs hadn't been close to in a long time and haven't been in since he played for us.Didn't they wear leather helmets when you first started following and listening to football KCL?:confused:

:laugh::laugh:

KCL
02-08-2010, 11:10 AM
Didn't they wear leather helmets when you first started following and listening to football KCL?:confused:

:laugh::laugh:

No that was a couple of years before my time.... :smack:

:lol:

EMB6903
02-08-2010, 11:12 AM
also having a top 10 list without staubach,unitas, or young shouldn't be taken seriously.

MNPatsFan
02-08-2010, 11:14 AM
No that was a couple of years before my time.... :smack:

:lol:OHHHHHH OK!!!!! That is right, it was a couple of years before your time *nudge nudge wink wink*:D

:laugh:

Skinny
02-08-2010, 11:29 AM
We'll see when his career is all said and done.

Shazam!
02-08-2010, 11:34 AM
No love for Bradshaw on too many Tops lists.

EMB6903
02-08-2010, 12:07 PM
bradshaw nor aikman belong on that list.. I'd take tarkenton over both starr and dawson as well.

Devilspawn
02-08-2010, 12:19 PM
What the hell is a GQ Boat? A boat for sexy quarterbacks?

Overtime
02-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Greatest Quarter Back of All Time

Medford Bronco
02-08-2010, 02:08 PM
No love for Bradshaw on too many Tops lists.

His numbers sucked and had like 2 more tds than picks

he played on one of the best teams of all time with that sick defense
and how many hofers

my list not that anyone cares lol

Modern day only (no Johnny U etc was not alive,great but not enough info)

Montana
Elway
Brady
Staubach
Manning
Marino
Kelly
Young

KCL
02-08-2010, 02:41 PM
His numbers sucked and had like 2 more tds than picks

he played on one of the best teams of all time with that sick defense
and how many hofers

my list not that anyone cares lol

Modern day only (no Johnny U etc was not alive,great but not enough info)

Montana
Elway
Brady
Staubach
Manning
Marino
Kelly
Young

Poor Jim Kelly :sad:

Mike
02-08-2010, 03:05 PM

Manning's had guys like Harrison, Clark, Pollard, Addai, Wayne, Stokely, Edgerrin James, Saturday, Collie, and Garcon and all the other guys he's been surrounded with since his 3rd year in the league.

Joe Montana
Tom Brady
John Elway
Dan Marino
Troy Aikman
Terry Bradshaw
Bart Starr
Peyton Manning
Drew Brees
Len Dawson

That is a crazy list.

I take Manning over Brady any day. Brady is a very good QB, but he is not in the top 5 of all time. It is true that Brady has won more with less at WR, but his big wins have been on the good system fit, the foot of a clutch kicker, and strength of a solid defense, IMO.

Aikman, Bradshaw, Brees have no place on that list. Brees will be if he continues his level of play, but not yet.

KCL
02-08-2010, 03:07 PM
That is a crazy list.

I take Manning over Brady any day. Brady is a very good QB, but he is not in the top 5 of all time. It is true that Brady has won more with less at WR, but his big wins have been on the good system fit, the foot of a clutch kicker, and strength of a solid defense, IMO.

Aikman, Bradshaw, Brees have no place on that list. Brees will be if he continues his level of play, but not yet.

Len Dawson made his list........:elefant:

;)

CrazyHorse
02-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Manning brought his team to the Super Bowl with the worst run defense then with the worst running game.

BroncoBJ
02-08-2010, 06:45 PM
That is a crazy list.

Well Brady got his clutch kicker in position to make those kicks. He didn't get there by himself. And Brady has usually ALWAYS come through in the clutch in the playoffs or the Superbowl. Whether his defense was great, average, or poor.

And until Moss and Welker, He has never had any talent at WR.

Brady is 1 of the best IMO.

But yea, I don't know why Brees made the list. Just because he won a Superbowl last night doesn't make him a top 10 QB of all time. Hes had a few good years. Lets see what the rest of his career has in store for him. :salute:

Devilspawn
02-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Joe Montana
Dan Marino
Bart Starr
Otto Graham
Johnny Unitas
John Elway
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Len Dawson
?

BroncoBJ
02-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Joe Montana
Dan Marino
Bart Starr
Otto Graham
Johnny Unitas
John Elway
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Len Dawson
?

Ken Stabler :salute: :elefant:

BroncoWave
02-08-2010, 08:42 PM
Wow, putting Bradshaw, Brady, and Aikman over Manning is probably the biggest joke I have ever seen. Did he kick your puppy or something? I'm sorry but that's the worst top QB list I have ever seen.

You do realize that he is likely going to shatter every single passing record there is? Also, just look at how terrible the Colts play when Manning is not in the game. They can't even compete with other teams when he comes out of games. The hate for Manning from some people is just ridiculous.

EMB6903
02-08-2010, 10:32 PM
the real top 10... In no order...(even though I think it goes Manning, Elway, Montana~~~~~~~>the rest)

Steve Young
Joe Montana
Roger Staubach
John Elway
Brett Favre
Dan Marino
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Johnny Unitas
Drew Brees

Now come on... Len Dawson? Bart Starr? Troy Aikman?

solid QB's.... but to say they are better then any of the names above is crazy.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
02-08-2010, 11:09 PM
Elway was the best and worst quarterback of all time. Nobody can ever take that away from him.

CrazyHorse
02-09-2010, 01:08 AM
Wow, putting Bradshaw, Brady, and Aikman over Manning is probably the biggest joke I have ever seen. Did he kick your puppy or something? I'm sorry but that's the worst top QB list I have ever seen.

You do realize that he is likely going to shatter every single passing record there is? Also, just look at how terrible the Colts play when Manning is not in the game. They can't even compete with other teams when he comes out of games. The hate for Manning from some people is just ridiculous.

Matt Cassel did fine in replace of Brady. When Manning sat out the Colts totally sucked.

atwater27
02-09-2010, 01:27 AM
So much hate for Manning.....Same folks who hate Favre. Makes no sense. Jealousy at it's finest.

CrazyHorse
02-09-2010, 01:44 AM
So much hate for Manning.....Same folks who hate Favre. Makes no sense. Jealousy at it's finest.
Yeah seems to be. I like both of them however. I have grown tired of Favre's multiple retirements and Manning should have congratulated the Saints. I really can't stand Tom Brady though. Ever since he laughed at the 17 points remark. Arrogance at it's finest. I've never really seen that from the other two.

atwater27
02-09-2010, 01:44 AM

No shit. Ricockulus.

BroncoWave
02-09-2010, 01:57 AM
Matt Cassel did fine in replace of Brady. When Manning sat out the Colts totally sucked.

This is a great point. Then Cassel went to KC and proved what a mediocre QB he is. The Colts look worse than the Lions whenever Manning comes out of a game. They are so dependent on him I don't know what they're gonna do when he retires.

frenchfan
02-09-2010, 05:29 AM

You do realize that he is likely going to shatter every single passing record there is? Also, just look at how terrible the Colts play when Manning is not in the game. They can't even compete with other teams when he comes out of games. The hate for Manning from some people is just ridiculous.Agreed...

BTW, using that reasoning to rank brady over Manning (better or worst surrounding cast) and ranking Montana as #1 is laughable (not the fact Montana is #1 or not, but the flip flop I say in that reasoning)...
Indeed, who doesn't know who played with Montana? Oh yeah... his surrounding cast sucked really bad... Montana was surrounded by may be the greatest cast ever... Plus, they have a good (nor great) D... Take a look at who is the statistically the best D of the 80's? Suprise.... SF 49ers ! :shocked: :D

So, using this reasoning, Elway should be ranked ahead because he started more SB than Montana with very average teams and won 2 with a good team around him...

Not namming Unitas is a shame too...

Manning never has a real D around him... Sometimes Colts D was decent, but never great... Plus, during this SB, missing 100% Freeney killed the Colts... Once he was done, Colts D sucked... Saints won because they have an O as good as Colts one, but a really better D... I don't see Manning "chocked" during the game... I guess many QB would have love to have his stats for the game... Sadly for the Colts, he should have been really fantastic to win, but even Elway couldn't do it all by himself...

It's useless debate anyway... It's impossible IMO to name the greatest ever... great QB? of course... greatest? What are the criteras to rank them? There always be biaises...

But I can name my FQOAT (Favorite QB Of All Time) : JOHN ELWAY ! :salute:

Northman
02-09-2010, 06:26 AM
My list. I will come back later today to explain my reasonings and explain why some were left off.

John Elway
Joe Montana
Peyton Manning
Roger Staubach
Tom Brady
Dan Marino
Troy Aikman
Johnny Unitas
Otto Graham
Terry Bradshaw

MNPatsFan
02-09-2010, 10:48 AM
That is a crazy list.

Aikman, Bradshaw, Brees have no place on that list. Brees will be if he continues his level of play, but not yet.I am sorry Mike and all the other Manning supporters, but there is no way that Manning with a 9-9 playoff record can or should be ranked over Brady with a 12-4 playoff record, which is tied with Montana for the best (saw these records on ESPN this morning). I don't care how amazing Manning stats and regular season wins are. In the paraphrased immortal words of Herm Edwards, "You play to win playoff games and Super Bowls!!!!" Stats and regular season wins are essentially worthless unless you win playoff games and Super Bowls.

In case anyone cares, my top 5:
1. Montana
2a. Elway
2b. Brady
4. Johnny Unitas
5a. Otto Graham
5b. Bart Starr
5. Peyton Manning

BroncoWave
02-09-2010, 11:17 AM
As for Joe Montana, I would suggest that all you of you read "The Blind Side" and flip to the chapter on Bill Walsh. Notice the stats of all the QB's he has coached and what their stats were before and after Walsh became their coach. It's pretty eye-opening. Not saying Montana is overrated, but it's impossible to argue how basically every QB he coached got exponentially better in his system.

As far as coaching and supporting cast goes, Montana had WAY more to work with than the likes of Elway in Manning throughout their careers.

Northman
02-09-2010, 11:47 AM
My brief explainations:

John Elway-
So yea, sure im a bit bias being a Bronco fan and having idolized John
growing up. But, when you actually sit down and look at what he did before
he got the kind of talent around him to finally win the big game it will become
more clear. The thing is, and this is the bottom line when it comes to why John
is #1 to me is that when all else breaks down there is only one guy i would
want back there who i know can carry the team if need be. There's just no
question in my mind that none of the other QB's listed here could do the things
that John did with what he had to work with prior to Davis and company coming
in the fold.

Joe Montana-
Hard not to argue having Joe here. Smart QB who in his own right made the plays
necessary to get the job done even when facing his own adversity. At the end of
the day you just cant igore the titles.

Peyton Manning-
Absolutely the best QB who does the homework and executes it perfectly when
all things are clicking. He is human as we've seen at times but in this day and
age he really is one of a kind.

Roger Staubach-
Having personally beat the Orange Crush in 77' its hard not to respect this 2 time SB
champion. But even aside from all that the guy was a serious competitor and at times
willed his teams to win.

Tom Brady-
At one time i probably would of had Brady much higher and in front of Manning. But, at
the end of the day this will have to do. Again, cant argue the man's championships. And
having to use virtually no-name wideouts and second rate RB's the good news is the
Patriots didnt cheap out on the defensive side of the ball. Never the less, like Montana
the guy became clutch when he needed too.

Dan Marino-
In some ways, its almost disheartening to have Dan here and not Jim Kelly. But, Kelly
i always saw more as a system guy rather than a true passer. And thus, Marino gets
the call here and its unfortuante that the Dolphins never got him the true help that he
needed to get a championship.

Troy Aikman-
In the early 90's when Denver was facing adversity as a franchise the Cowboys were
clicking on all cylinders. With the trio of Aikman, Smith, and Irvin they were truly unstoppable.
But even though Aikman had some great help he was absolutely money and on target
with his passing.

Johnny Unitas-
Otto Graham
I'll admit, these guys are getting in mainly because of how much they meant to their
respective franchises and what they meant to the sport itself. They were both great
in their own way but i was not around to appreciate them in their time. But, even with
their legendary status they dont stand up to the accomplishments of the guys i have
before them. But, it wouldnt be right to leave them out either.

Terry Bradshaw-
Yes, he had the steel curtain behind him. But, you dont win 4 SB's being a scrub behind
center. 1 SB? Maybe. But not 4. And the first 2 SB's is where the steel curtain was
at their best. But the last 2 took a little more effort on the offenses part and Bradshaw
was a big reason for that. He may not have the brains of Manning or the playmaking
ability of Elway. But, he is a tough SOB and fierce competitor who still got the job done
when need be and thus its really the difference between winning 4 SB's instead of losing
4 SB's (Kelly).

OaklandRaider
02-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Welcome back, OT...

John Elway? LMAO. Not even close to being the greastest of all time. I think it's cool that Broncos fans want to show their love for their best player of all time, but at some point you have to step back, take off the homer shades, and try to give an objective opionion.

Let's analyze John Albert Elway by the stats --> http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElwaJo00.htm

Only 3 times in his career was he top 5 in TD passes.
Only 5 times in his career was he top 5 in Passing Yardage
Only 4 times in his career was he top 5 in Passer Rating
He was never top 5 in completion percentage.
He was never a first team all-pro

Those are hardly impressive feats if we are trying to consider him the "GOAT".

And I know what you Bronco fans will say, "He did more with less, wahhhhhhh" "He carried the Broncos to 3 superbowls by himself, wahhhhhhh" "Did you see the Drive, wahhhhhhhh". But it's all just a bunch of nonsense.

In the eighties when Elway quote on quote "carried the Broncos to the superbowl" everybody in the entire world knew that the REAL superbowl was being played in the NFC championship game. The AFC was as weak as it's ever been in the eighties. In 1987, the AFC only had two ten win teams. Compare that to the NFC who had more than double. In 1989, the Broncos were the only team in the AFC to win over ten games. Compare that to the NFC that year, who had 7 teams over ten wins.

So him getting to the superbowl 3 times was less impressive when you consider just how weak the AFC was.

And I like how everybody likes to say how "clutch" Elway was. Really? Ask yourself was he really as clutch as you think he was?

In his 22 career playoff games, Elway posted under a 55% completion percentage, and had a TD/INT ratio of 27/21. Not exactly what I would call GOAT worthy. Those numbers get even worse when we look at his superbowl numbers.

Elway's superbowl stats: 76/152, 3 TD/8 Int, a whopping QB rating of 59.3.

I don't know about you, but those sure don't look like GOAT numbers to me. In the biggest game of all, with everything on the line, you would expect the "GOAT" to come through. But the fact is, he came up small in the superbowl almost every time. Luckily for him, he got to ride the coatails of Terrell Davis or else he would've ended up with zero rings.

I could go on and on debunking this John Elway "Goat" nonsense, but I think I've made my point. He is not even close.

BroncoWave
02-09-2010, 01:29 PM
John Elway? LMAO. Not even close to being the greastest of all time. I think it's cool that Broncos fans want to show their love for their best player of all time, but at some point you have to step back, take off the homer shades, and try to give an objective opionion.

Let's analyze John Albert Elway by the stats --> http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/ElwaJo00.htm

Those are hardly impressive feats if we are trying to consider him the "GOAT".

And I know what you Bronco fans will say, "He did more with less, wahhhhhhh" "He carried the Broncos to 3 superbowls by himself, wahhhhhhh" "Did you see the Drive, wahhhhhhhh". But it's all just a bunch of nonsense.

In the eighties when Elway quote on quote "carried the Broncos to the superbowl" everybody in the entire world knew that the REAL superbowl was being played in the NFC championship game. The AFC was as weak as it's ever been in the eighties. In 1987, the AFC only had two ten win teams. Compare that to the NFC who had more than double. In 1989, the Broncos were the only team in the AFC to win over ten games. Compare that to the NFC that year, who had 7 teams over ten wins.

So him getting to the superbowl 3 times was less impressive when you consider just how weak the AFC was.

And I like how everybody likes to say how "clutch" Elway was. Really? Ask yourself was he really as clutch as you think he was?

In his 22 career playoff games, Elway posted under a 55% completion percentage, and had a TD/INT ratio of 27/21. Not exactly what I would call GOAT worthy. Those numbers get even worse when we look at his superbowl numbers.

Elway's superbowl stats: 76/152, 3 TD/8 Int, a whopping QB rating of 59.3.

I don't know about you, but those sure don't look like GOAT numbers to me. In the biggest game of all, with everything on the line, you would expect the "GOAT" to come through. But the fact is, he came up small in the superbowl almost every time. Luckily for him, he got to ride the coatails of Terrell Davis or else he would've ended up with zero rings.

I could go on and on debunking this John Elway "Goat" nonsense, but I think I've made my point. He is not even close.

http://www.commentbuddy.com/comments/Gay/gay.jpg

OaklandRaider
02-10-2010, 12:44 AM
^^Typical Bronco fan response when someone brings logic and facts to the table to disprove the homer. :D

Guess you guys can't handle the truth when it comes to Elway, who was one of the WORST super-bowl performing QBs in the history of the NFL. Sorry, but a QB who performs that bad in the biggest games can't be the GOAT to me.

But stick to posting pictures, I'll stick to facts:beer:

BroncoWave
02-10-2010, 12:53 AM
^^Typical Bronco fan response when someone brings logic and facts to the table to disprove the homer. :D

Guess you guys can't handle the truth when it comes to Elway, who was one of the WORST super-bowl performing QBs in the history of the NFL. Sorry, but a QB who performs that bad in the biggest games can't be the GOAT to me.

But stick to posting pictures, I'll stick to facts:beer:

Ok! :beer:

http://www.pollsb.com/photos/o/31345-find_offensive_people_use_word_retarded_discribre_ something_lame_stupid.jpg

Poet
02-10-2010, 01:01 AM
Peyton Manning is ten times the QB Brady was.

The fact that Bradshaw is on your list shows that you have no idea what a great QB actually is.

Twas a nice attempt..I guess.

atwater27
02-10-2010, 01:34 AM
RICH GANNON who was one of the WORST super-bowl performing QBs in the history of the NFL. :

FFktELapqH0

Shazam!
02-10-2010, 02:45 AM
All I know is John Elway was better than any Raiders QB.

frenchfan
02-10-2010, 03:29 AM
All I know is John Elway was better than any Raiders QB.:tsk: No Shazam... Everyone knows JaMarcus is way better than John ! :laugh:

No QB did more by himself than John... It's a FACT too...

BTW, talking about stats... well... let's see what Manning, Brady, Montana, Marino or whoever you want would do by playing with an European football team against a NFL team... :rolleyes:

Poet
02-10-2010, 03:42 AM
I would like to point out that Rich Gannon is a class act, was a good QB and a fine commentator.

Hell, the Raiders snubbed him when he tried to fix their crappy QB.

No, on his best day he could never hold Elway's jockstrap.