PDA

View Full Version : Some Broncos remain in dark about 2009 collapse

Denver Native (Carol)
02-07-2010, 02:50 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_14350361

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — A month of distance from the disappointing end of the Broncos' 2009 season has not provided any more clarity for veteran players about what went wrong, about how a team that started 6-0 could finish 8-8 and out of the playoffs.

"Just lots of time thinking about what could have happened and what should have happened, and then having to explain to people, that how, after we got off to such a great start, what happened," said defensive end Vonnie Holliday, here in South Florida to enjoy the Super Bowl festivities. "No, it's not clear."

Though coach Josh McDaniels said several weeks ago he had no desire to watch the playoffs — not with his team sidelined — Holliday and running back LaMont Jordan, who also was in town, have been paying attention.

And both remain optimistic the Broncos aren't as far away from being a playoff team as their 2-8 finish might have indicated.

"Next year, coming in, second time around, you know what you did wrong, know the things you can correct," Jordan said. "I think there's a lot of lessons to be learned. We have a lot of good guys in the locker room, and I'm excited about next year."

Still, there are plenty of things that must be fixed if the Broncos want to make the playoffs for the first time since 2005.

"Talent-wise, there are a couple pieces of the puzzle that are definitely missing, and guys know it and Josh knows it," Holliday said. "They're going to fix it. From the top, they know what's going on, and they're going to fix it."

While Holliday declined to point out specific needs — "I'm just employee No. 99," he said — it is clear the Broncos have several key areas to address in free agency and the draft, especially on the offensive and defensive lines.

With a move away from the zone-blocking scheme and with a new offensive line coach, the Broncos likely will add bulkier interior offensive linemen who should improve the team's pedestrian running game.

The Broncos' defense still needs help up front, on the line and at linebacker to shore up a run defense that collapsed late, especially in home losses to Oakland and Kansas City.

With Brandon Marshall likely on his way out, the team will need another big-play wide receiver to join Jabar Gaffney and Eddie Royal. Veteran Brandon Stokley will be a free agent.

Plenty of fans might not be happy to hear it, but don't expect a change at quarterback, with the Broncos expected to keep Kyle Orton for at least one more year.

That's the right move, said Rich Gannon, a former Raiders quarterback and NFL MVP.

"I think the quarterback is going to be fine," said Gannon, who is an analyst for CBS and Sirius Radio. "You see the most improvement in quarterbacks from Year 1 to Year 2 in the system, and my sense is that this will be a very busy offseason for them. He'll continue to improve — and he needs to."

The Broncos can't — and won't — be quite as active in free agency in 2010 as they were during McDaniels' first offseason, when the team signed a dozen players by mid-March.

The team also has one pick in each round of the draft, and could acquire more if they are able to trade Marshall. The Broncos' first- round pick will be at No. 10 or No. 11, pending on the results of a coin flip with Jacksonville this month.

With the 2009 season officially wrapping up tonight with the Super Bowl, current and former Broncos are starting to look ahead to how their 2010 team will look.

"I don't know what's going on, but I just want them to get it right," former Bronco Shannon Sharpe said. "I'm going to always do my job. As long as I'm going to have a microphone and a camera, I'm always going to give you an honest opinion about what I think about the Broncos. But secretly, I want them to do well, just like I'm sure Dan Marino wants the Dolphins to do well."

silkamilkamonico
02-07-2010, 02:56 PM
I like to hear that. Shore up the oline, and then go out and get your franchise QB. Orton did well last year when he was protected. Once we get the oline completed, it will make it easier on our next franchise QB.

rcsodak
02-09-2010, 10:55 PM
I like to hear that. Shore up the oline, and then go out and get your franchise QB. Orton did well last year when he was protected. Once we get the oline completed, it will make it easier on our next franchise QB.

Been asking for 6mos now....

WHAT IS A FRANCHISE QB?

HOW DO YOU FIND HIM?

Until ya'll can accurately/definitively answer that, Orton's the guy. :coffee:

silkamilkamonico
02-09-2010, 10:59 PM

WHAT IS A FRANCHISE QB?

HOW DO YOU FIND HIM?

Awesome. Orton's marginally effective at best. I'll go ahead and look forward to the 2012-2013 season after the lockout, when surely we'll have another QB by then. Hopefully.

Lonestar
02-09-2010, 11:01 PM
A franchise QB is someone that can be a:

A. great leader
B. can make the throws necessary to keep a D honest
C. is smart
D. does not turn the ball over
E. wins games

so far Orton is all of those except B. the jury is still out on IF he can, because none were called last year.

Time will tell IMO.

silkamilkamonico
02-09-2010, 11:04 PM
A franchise QB is someone that can be a:

A. great leader
B. can make the throws necessary to keep a D honest
C. is smart
D. does not turn the ball over
E. wins games

so far Orton is all of those except B. the jury is still out on IF he can, because none were called last year.

Time will tell IMO.

Can i go ahead and add a franchise Qb should also be able to make the playoffs with a top 10 defense? That shouldn't be too much to ask, should it?

Denver Native (Carol)
02-09-2010, 11:07 PM

WHAT IS A FRANCHISE QB?

HOW DO YOU FIND HIM?

So, I found the following rc - obviously the writer's opinion-ENJOY:D

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/227222-what-is-a-franchise-quarterback-exactly

What Is a Franchise Quarterback Exactly?

Franchise quarterback. You hear it all the time, you can't look up a team without finding articles about getting a "franchise quarterback."

It's everywhere. "This team found it's franchise QB. This team needs a franchise QB." You can't escape it.

But what is a franchise quarterback?

It's odd that you see a word tossed around so much, but no one knows the exact meaning. Everyone talks about who is a franchise QB, but not what is a franchise QB is. You can't label a franchise QB unless you know what it is.

After research about people who are labeled as "franchise quarterbacks" and those who aren't considered as such.

The player must match certain criteria to be considered a franchise quarterback: consistency, talent, leadership/maturity, and football intelligence.

Consistency

In order to be a franchise quarterback or to find one, the player needs to be able to perform a certain level all the time. That doesn't mean he has to be spectacular, but he can perform at a good performance day in and day out.

Someone who throws five touchdown passes and no interceptions in one game, then throws five interceptions and no touchdowns the next would not make a good franchise quarterback.

If someone throws two touchdown passes and one interception in one game, and then repeats that performance every game, that is one step to becoming a "franchise QB."

Talent

You can run the ball as many times as you like, your defense can score as many points as you like. But the fact remains, if you're quarterback is a bum, your team will suffer.

Some teams feature a run first offense, where the quarterback is more of a game manager, but when he is needed, a true franchise QB can step up and make big plays for his team.

Quarterbacks like Joe Flacco, Jake Delhomme, or Ben Roethlisberger aren't asked to throw a lot, nor is anyone expecting great numbers to come out of them. But when the time comes, they all can step up their game, Roethlisberger in particular.

Leadership/Maturity

Players look to their quarterback. They look to them for help, they look for them for guidance, and if a QB is willing to accept that role, then they're not set to be a franchise player.

The entire offense runs around the quarterback, and it's his job to rally his team around him, or they all crumble.

This also includes being a team player. If a quarterback is more concerned about his passer rating over his teams win-loss record, he is doomed for failure.

He must be able to accept responsibility for his mistakes, and not point fingers and cast blame on other offensive players for his shortcomings. He must be able to remain cool under pressure and keep his composure when things get sour.

If he's cracking under pressure, and being a self-centered crybaby, then he isn't qualified.

Football Intelligence

I'm not talking about the player's IQ or Wonderlic score, I'm talking about his on field head game. The quarterback has to know what is going on the field at all times, no exceptions.

He needs to know where the safeties, where his receivers are going. He needs to be able to pick up a blitz and correctly change the play. If there are seven DB's on the field, he should know not to pass it unless he absolutely has to.

This also includes decision making. If he decides to continuously throw the ball into triple coverage, or decides to rush the ball himself into a blitz, he isn't a franchise quarterback.

So using the following criteria, you can know make a list of the franchise quarterbacks of the NFL, who is becoming a franchise quarterback, and who has the potential to be a franchise QB.

Failed Franchise Quarterbacks

Alex Smith—San Fransisco 49ers

Marc Bulger—St. Louis Rams

Derek Anderson—Cleveland Browns

Tyler Thigpen—Kansas City Chiefs

Kyle Boller—Baltimore Ravens (2003-08)

Potential Franchise Quarterbacks

JaMarcus Russell—Oakland Raiders

Matt Stafford—Detroit Lions

Mark Sanchez—New York Jets

Brady Quinn—Cleveland Browns

Josh Freeman—Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Luke McCown—Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Byron Leftwitch—Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Shaun Hill—San Fransisco 49ers

Vince Young—Tennessee Titans

Sage Rosenfels—Minnesota Vikings

Tarvaris Jackson—Minnesota Vikings

Troy Smith—Baltimore Ravens

Matt Leinart—Arizona Cardinals

Up-and-Coming Franchise Quarterbacks

Matt Ryan—Atlanta Falcons- All criteria, needs another year

Joe Flacco—Baltimore Ravens- All criteria, needs another year

Matt Cassel—Kansas City Chiefs- All criteria, needs another year

Jay Cutler—Chicago Bears- All criteria, new team

Kyle Orton—Denver Broncos- All criteria, new team

Carson Palmer—Cincinnati Bengals- Needs to stay healthy

Trent Edwards—Buffalo Bills- Needs consistency

Jason Campbell—Washington Redskins- Needs consistency

David Garrard—Jacksonville Jaguars- Needs consistency

Matt Schaub—Houston Texans- Needs to stay healthy

Kerry Collins—Tennessee Titans- Needs consistency

Matt Hasselbeck—Seattle Seahawks- Needs consistency/stay healthy

Current Franchise Quarterbacks

Drew Brees—New Orleans Saints

Phillip Rivers—San Diego Chargers

Tom Brady—New England Patriots

Eli Manning—New York Giants

Peyton Manning—Indianapolis Colts

Aaron Rodgers—Green Bay Packers

Tony Romo—Dallas Cowboys

Donovan McNabb—Philadelphia Eagles

Ben Roethlisberger—Pittsburgh Steelers

Kurt Warner—Arizona Cardinals

Jake Delhomme—Carolina Panthers

Chad Pennington—Miami Dolphins

I hope you found this list and definition interesting. Hopefully now that people know what a franchise QB really is, people will throw around that word with a little more thought.

Lonestar
02-10-2010, 12:31 AM
Watch this and this defines what a franchise QB is

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EXIt_9l023o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EXIt_9l023o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

HORSEPOWER 56
02-10-2010, 12:40 AM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EXIt_9l023o&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EXIt_9l023o&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ahh, it's a beautiful thing. Damn do I miss it.

My definition of a franchise QB is simply a QB that has the brains, athleticism, and arm to force the defense to defend every blade of grass on the field on every play. Not all franchise QBs have to be rah, rah guys. Not all of them have to be extremely cerebral or analytical. They just have to be able to throw the football where they're supposed to, when they're supposed to, no matter how difficult that throw is. Right now, about 10-12 starting QBs would I classify that way (one just retired in Warner).

Dirk
02-10-2010, 07:17 AM
Oh the memories! Elway was awesome!

claymore
02-10-2010, 07:40 AM

Good thing McDaniels wasnt here to trade him away. :D

Broncolingus
02-10-2010, 08:17 AM
...it is clear the Broncos have several key areas to address in free agency and the draft, especially on the offensive and defensive lines.

This is getting dangerously close to being something that can be 'etched in stone' regarding the Denver Broncos each offseason...particularly on the defensive side.

TXBRONC
02-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Ahh, it's a beautiful thing. Damn do I miss it.

My definition of a franchise QB is simply a QB that has the brains, athleticism, and arm to force the defense to defend every blade of grass on the field on every play. Not all franchise QBs have to be rah, rah guys. Not all of them have to be extremely cerebral or analytical. They just have to be able to throw the football where they're supposed to, when they're supposed to, no matter how difficult that throw is. Right now, about 10-12 starting QBs would I classify that way (one just retired in Warner).

A franchise quarterback is the kind quarterback that you put your offense on his shoulders and he can win games for you.

CoachChaz
02-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Based on the definitions I've read so far...why are people still convinced that Cutler was a "franchise" QB?

The Glue Factory
02-10-2010, 11:25 AM
Based on the definitions I've read so far...why are people still convinced that Cutler was a "franchise" QB?

I wouldn't call him an up and coming franchise QB either. Way too many question marks on him, mostly with maturity (how he handled the coaching change last year) but also with decision making (5 INTs in ONE game!? not once but TWICE last year?) Those are probably the two most important components to a "franchise" QB.

Lonestar
02-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Great QB's have to have short term memories. To be able to forget the last play, good or bad. And get back on track to playing good ball.

Forget that pick and play ball.

Forget that dropped perfectly thrown pass.

Forget that poorly thrown pass and get back on the horse.

Forget that TD pass and focus on the present 3rd and long.

Forget getting sacked and stop being pissed that hamilton was on wheels getting pushed into and over you.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

Ravage!!!
02-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Forget that 2nd pick-six that just went the other way.. again....to the same defender.