PDA

View Full Version : Who/What else should we sign, if only one position?

lex
03-07-2008, 01:19 AM
OK, obviously we have a finite amount of money to spend. If you could sign one remaining FA, who or what (as in position...or species) would it be?

dogfish
03-07-2008, 02:26 AM
probably d.j. hackett. . .

to be honest though, with the types of guys we've been signing i'm really not sure i want any more-- at this point, we may as well just wait for the draft. . . . i would have rather seen our cap space devoted to signing dj williams to an extension instead of making lateral moves or getting marginal upgrades, but that's just me i guess. . .

Lonestar
03-07-2008, 02:34 AM
Perhaps a safety or DT but I'd rather do the draft and then see what UDFA are available as well as JUN1 cuts..

We all know some talent will be cut 01JUN after the draft happens.. and some of the rookies go to mini camps..

BOSSHOGG30
03-07-2008, 08:40 AM
T Max Starks or/and DT Larry Tripplett

lex
03-07-2008, 12:03 PM
I think we can get by better at S with what we have than we can at DT, so I would lean that way. Someone like Sopoaga maybe.

turftoad
03-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Bryant Johnson.

Colbert is not the answer.

With Johnson the WR pos would filled. LB looks good now. We could concentrate on DT, S and O line in the draft.

Lonestar
03-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Bryant Johnson.

Colbert is not the answer.

With Johnson the WR pos would filled. LB looks good now. We could concentrate on DT, S and O line in the draft.

I think you mean SHOULD..

Bronco Bible
03-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Any takers on Spikes?

turftoad
03-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Any takers on Spikes?

Wouldn't have minded it but with the signing of two new LB's I just don't see it happening.

underrated29
03-07-2008, 12:39 PM
S MCREE.

thats it. We then draft rb,dt,lb,fb,ol,s,wr- in no particular order. Fill with BPA.

Slick
03-07-2008, 12:49 PM
I still think we need a veteran DT. Sam Adams left a bad taste in everyone's mouth, but I still think we have to find a way to get another veteran in here.

Maybe Jr's point has the most merit. Wait until Jun 1 cuts, or try to sign Triplett, Grady Jackson, Rod Coleman?

I think the Robertson deal was a little optimistic on our parts, but maybe we could get one of these guys cheap for a year.

MHCBill
03-07-2008, 12:59 PM
Bryant Johnson...

Allows us to wait on a WR until the second day and have a nice (nice, not great, or amazing, or awesome, just nice) receiving corps heading into next season.

turftoad
03-07-2008, 01:10 PM
I still think we need a veteran DT. Sam Adams left a bad taste in everyone's mouth, but I still think we have to find a way to get another veteran in here.

Maybe Jr's point has the most merit. Wait until Jun 1 cuts, or try to sign Triplett, Grady Jackson, Rod Coleman?

I think the Robertson deal was a little optimistic on our parts, but maybe we could get one of these guys cheap for a year.

I really don't think any of those journeymen are better than the journeymen we already have. Especially for the $. JMO

Slick
03-07-2008, 01:32 PM
I really don't think any of those journeymen are better than the journeymen we already have. Especially for the $. JMO

95 Bozeman, Michael DT 6' 2" 290 25 1st Mississippi FA-'07
93 Burton, Antwon DT 6' 2" 325 24 3rd Temple CFA-'06

68 Harris, Steven DT 6' 5" 305 23 2nd Florida CFA-'07

98 Mallard, Josh DT 6' 2" 259 28 4th Georgia FA -'07

99 McKinley, Alvin DT 6' 3" 294 29 9th Mississippi State UFA (CLE)-'07

79 Thomas, Marcus DT 6' 3" 315 22 2nd Florida D4-'07

I'm still not confident in our drafting capabilities and none of these guys do a damn thing for me.

The jury is still out on Thomas.

Your point about money is a good one, and maybe that's why none of them are here, and we're talking about acquiring a 35 year old Orpheous Roye.

turftoad
03-07-2008, 01:40 PM
95 Bozeman, Michael DT 6' 2" 290 25 1st Mississippi FA-'07
93 Burton, Antwon DT 6' 2" 325 24 3rd Temple CFA-'06

68 Harris, Steven DT 6' 5" 305 23 2nd Florida CFA-'07

98 Mallard, Josh DT 6' 2" 259 28 4th Georgia FA -'07

99 McKinley, Alvin DT 6' 3" 294 29 9th Mississippi State UFA (CLE)-'07

79 Thomas, Marcus DT 6' 3" 315 22 2nd Florida D4-'07

I'm still not confident in our drafting capabilities and none of these guys do a damn thing for me.

The jury is still out on Thomas.

Your point about money is a good one, and maybe that's why none of them are here, and we're talking about acquiring a 35 year old Orpheous Roye.

Besides Thomas, maybe one or two of those young guys can help out a bit. I'm just not sold on bringing in Tripplet, Coleman, Jackson or even McFarland to be better than some of guys we have. I don't see any of those names being a difference maker.

Slick
03-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Besides Thomas, maybe one or two of those young guys can help out a bit. I'm just not sold on bringing in Tripplet, Coleman, Jackson or even McFarland to be better than some of guys we have. I don't see any of those names being a difference maker.

Fair enough. On the bright side, we can't get any worse at the position.

shank
03-07-2008, 02:08 PM
at this point i would say that the person who can add the most value to our team is marlon mccree.

The FA dts left do nothing for me, and i'd almost rather let this be a 'rebuild' year and let our young guys play than some washed up guy who will not even be a good stop-gap.

mccree can come in and start this year, where the safeties in the draft leave a lot to be desired. that gives us some time with a good player to target a stud S in teh draft next year, which is much more talented than this year.

Runner up would probably be dj hackett or drew carter... we are still #2 less, and competition between one of these guys and colbert would at least mean we have the best guy possible in there as a starter.

dogfish
03-07-2008, 05:20 PM
my belief is that it's pointless signing anyone over about 27-28. . . don't sign anyone who's going to fall apart before the end of their contract-- if we can't bring in guys in their prime who can be a part of the rebuilding process, then screw bringing in washed up, broken down old guys to plug gaps for a year or two. . . no more patching the tires when they've got 100,000 miles on them and desperately need replaced! save the cap space to extend our young core players. . . fill the holes with young guys who cost less and still have a chance to improve. . .

atwater27
03-08-2008, 12:09 AM
I want us to sign Bryant Johnson. He would be a PERFECT FIT in Denver.
Starks would be a good signing. I think we should still trade for Haynesworth.
Spikes hell no, he has gone south since his Achilles ripped off of his heel.

broncohead
03-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Some people seem to think that we can get away with drafting just 1 DT and he could come in and start. The bad drafting years in the past have caught up with us. We need to draft 2 or 3 DTs and hope that 1 of those guys can contribute. I know I have said this before but DT is a high bust rate position. We just signed 2 LBs that will start so I don't think that drafting one in the first day will benifit us IMO. If KO and Boss can be solid starters I wouldn't want to upgrade there until the front 4 is figured out.

Joel
03-12-2008, 07:04 AM
my belief is that it's pointless signing anyone over about 27-28. . . don't sign anyone who's going to fall apart before the end of their contract-- if we can't bring in guys in their prime who can be a part of the rebuilding process, then screw bringing in washed up, broken down old guys to plug gaps for a year or two. . . no more patching the tires when they've got 100,000 miles on them and desperately need replaced! save the cap space to extend our young core players. . . fill the holes with young guys who cost less and still have a chance to improve. . .
It's always the free agent balance, but one a lot of people seem to miss (like when I crossed my fingers and got stoked about Adams despite age and surgery). What you do depends on where you think you are and what you think you need (and how right you are.... ) If you're REALLY close, just one or two guys, then it's worth it to fork out some cash, if you've got it, for that last missing piece, like when Denver picked up Neil Smith from KC. But the more that it costs and the more you have left to do, the dumber it is to go for someone 30+ because they'll be on their way out by the time you're ready, sucking cash you desperately need but not producing much.

That's what makes the draft so important, really, because you rarely have a good position; our isn't great, but it's better than it's been in a decade (yea...? ) That means we have to seize the opportunity, especially since, before we all abandon ship, we DO have a lot of quality young players:

Cutler,
Marshall,
Scheffler
Young,
Chris Kuper,
Chris Myers,
Erik Pears

Crowder,
Moss,
Thomas,
Williams
Foxworth (???)

Seems pretty clear from that where we should focus, especially if we did get McCree; we've got three less guys on D, our run D is awful for lack of a dominating NT, and we're missing at least one LB if we keep Gold as our Will. IF you think we can win a Super Bowl in the next year or two a big name, big money multi-year Pro Bowler like Lynch could be worth it; we'd have been in deep... the last few years if we HADN'T had Lynch, or Champ. But if for nothing but probabilitys sake I think the Champ deal should remain the ideal: A star player at the peak of his game and just under 30. Then the real question is what's our cap like, because it's pointless to just go trolling for chum with what we DO have when we know there's going to be more later. Camp fodder's one thing, and another advantage of signing a few people, but any INVESTMENT will take time to mature, and that means a player who'll still be there.

My priorities are going to remain DT and LB, as they have been for a little over two years, until I see some tangible evidence of a real turn around there. Last year we went to camp with, I think it was NINE, LBs on the squad. Holdman may never play another down. Whatshisname Bates brought with him WON'T play another down. I'm not sure what happened to Cameron Vaughn; did he have PS time left, of did we cut him? Same with DT; Adams was the last and the worst, but we traded a sixth round PICK for Kennedy then cut him, and let Warren get a safety on Cutler for the Raiders. Meanwhile, we have to shuttle guys in so Thomas doesn't get destroyed and Adams can gulp down some air. Till we fix that, teams will run up the middle on us, because there's nothing there to stop them; it's actually the BEST place to run because D.J. is the only thing between you and the end zone. They'll bust it up the gut, or drop back and pass knowing they always have more blockers than rushers.

A classic 3-4 NT changes that, especially with a halfway decent backup to rotate with him and Thomas (who is NOT a classic 3-4 NT). That and a legit Sam, then draft future stars at DT and MLB right out of the gate and the D is set for a while, though if Foxworth leaves there's issues at nickel. If we take care of those two the first day and then get a LT into the mix we can gamble more the next day with less valuable picks. So I don't know who's signed/cut whom, but a solid NT (I heard the Chargers got Chris Hoke from the Steelers, which is too bad, because he was my ideal candidate, even if he fit their Ds better) and a solid MLB or SLB, 25-30, each of whom we can draft behind on Day One. For that matter, the same would apply to virtually all positions (e.g. LT) but these are the ones I think we need most at the moment.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-12-2008, 04:16 PM
rod coleman or larry tripplett

followed by bryant johnson

shank
03-12-2008, 04:42 PM
well, now that we've signed mccree, i guess i have to choose another person...

i think bryant johnson would be a great fit here and would be an amazing signing, but i think we all see at this point that he's out of our price range and there hasn't even been a rumor of our interest, let alone a visit. i think we're stuck with colbert...

as much as i don't like any of the FA DTs left, i think we have to sign one to go with the 2 rookies from my mock :D tripplett, coleman, jackson, mcfarland... someone who has proven that they can get the job done, as none of them are anywhere close to spectacular. i wish we would have jumped on randy starks when he was available as he is young and has shown flashes.