02-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Listen to McDaniels interview on 104.3 the FAN here:

http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?ID=1193296

Summary:

what are you working on?

Our system is the same as last year - less learning curve than last year

We are evaluating our roster and scheme, trying to make improvements
it won't culminate until mid april, when we'll say playbook is complete

is it important to make a commitment to core of team moneywise? what is strategy?

There's alot of uncertainty. until the landscape is clear we have to be patient. we have to prepare for 2 different possibilities. no one arond the league is preparing new player contracts. we can't make decisions now with the uncertainty of collective bargaining

is there a new message from the head coach to the fans?

There is one team at Dove Valley. Nobody is happy with the
results this year. being 8-8 and the way we finished was very disappointing. we are doing everything we can to improve on that performance. more changes will be made to reach the level we want to get to. we fully expect to improve on 2009 performance

brandon marshall wants to remain a bronco, do you want him?

brandon and i have had a great relationship most of this past year.
to stereotype relationship based on 1 incident is not valid.
brandon had a pro bowl season. we've moved on from the incident at the
end of the season. brandon represented us well in the pro bowl

it is not a situation where brandon and i can't be on the same
team. i really like brandon marshall as a person. both sides want
to work together and we've proven we can do that

would you take your wife to Shanahans restaurant?

yes we would. I've never met Mike personally. I have no ill
feelings towards mike. I've admired him for the whole time i've
been in the nfl.

who is going to win the super bowl?

I think it'll be a good game. Most interested to see how New Orleans
tries to be aggressive at the same time of protecting Freeney and Mathis
just wrecking the game. Have to take care of those two. 2 pro bowl
defensive ends. saints have to score in the 30's to win

what do you think of drew brees?

when he uses the play fake he's helping out the linemen. he can
neutralize the pass rush with a great fake. as soon as he
comes off the fake he finds the safeties with his eyes. he
knows where he wants to go with the ball. very effective with
play action.

back to your defense - why promote from within?

martindale knows our defense inside and out. He'll be more
aggressive than last year. I will be very surprised if our defense
isn't better next year. This is going to give our defense a
chance to be one of the elite in football.

==========

Generally it was a pretty vanilla interview until the end, where McD raises his voice talking about the defense and how it is going to be more aggressive and better than last year. Perhaps that was the difference in styles between Nolan and mcd - Nolan wasn't aggressive enough.

FanInAZ
02-05-2010, 11:07 PM
The link doesn't work.

Thanks for taking the time to type out your summation.

The most informative part of the interview was his SB analysis. The rest was him saying what coaches are supposed to say.

dogfish
02-05-2010, 11:15 PM
so did he say anything about the end of times being near?

lake of fire? anything like that. . . ?

no?

i hope he really means it about being aggressive. . . 'cuz it sounds great-- but you have to actually go out there and do it. . .

he also said the offense would do things no one had seen before, and millions of people in cities like cleveland, detroit and buffalo beg to differ with him-- they've seen LOTS of bad, overly conservative and generally unproductive offenses. . .

but if he actually means it. . . well, that would be a good thing in my book. . .

Denver Native (Carol)
02-05-2010, 11:19 PM
The link doesn't work.

Thanks for taking the time to type out your summation.

The most informative part of the interview was his SB analysis. The rest was him saying what coaches are supposed to say.

I guess I got a lot more out of it than you did. I thought it was a great interview.

http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?ID=1193296 This link works

If the above link does not work for anyone, go to http://www.fm1043thefan.com/ and it's the first listing under Fan On-Demand

titan
02-05-2010, 11:39 PM
I like the aggressive defense comments the most. In today's NFL you just can't sit back and let the quality quarterbacks pick you apart.

Also as I suspected all along McD is ok with brandon marshall. Whether brandon stays or goes has more to do with money and what the collective bargaining agreement it looks like.

Also thought it was interesting McD has never met Shanahan. I'm sure that will change. In fact if the Broncos were smart they'd work on scheduling a preseason game with the Redskins at Invesco this year.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-05-2010, 11:43 PM
I like the aggressive defense comments the most. In today's NFL you just can't sit back and let the quality quarterbacks pick you apart.

Also as I suspected all along McD is ok with brandon marshall. Whether brandon stays or goes has more to do with money and what the collective bargaining agreement it looks like.

Also thought it was interesting McD has never met Shanahan. I'm sure that will change. In fact if the Broncos were smart they'd work on scheduling a preseason game with the Redskins at Invesco this year.

Do teams schedule their own preseason games??? I thought the league did that, but I may be wrong.

titan
02-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Do teams schedule their own preseason games??? I thought the league did that, but I may be wrong.

I'm sure the league has some say, but I thought the teams are free to work out preseason games themselves. Some games the league sets (like the Hall of Fame game teams) but otherwise I think the teams have more control than they do for the regular season schedule.

underrated29
02-05-2010, 11:49 PM
that doesnt sound good for brandon staying here. Sounds like they want to work together to get brandon out of here and the broncos the best deal....

I do like what he said about the defense. That caught me eye as soon as I read it.

FanInAZ
02-05-2010, 11:51 PM
I guess I got a lot more out of it than you did. I thought it was a great interview.

http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?ID=1193296 This link works

If the above link does not work for anyone, go to http://www.fm1043thefan.com/ and it's the first listing under Fan On-Demand

You have to realize that I live in AZ and heard this same stuff year after year from the Cards. Up until last year, I would listen just so I could have something to laugh about.

Although are Broncos are no where near as bad as the Cards were for their 1st 20 years here in AZ, we've been stagnant for about the last 5-6. Nothing that any coach says in a press conference or interview will change that. I'm not saying I don't believe, but only that I'm never impressed by anything said during press conferences and interviews.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-05-2010, 11:52 PM
that doesnt sound good for brandon staying here. Sounds like they want to work together to get brandon out of here and the broncos the best deal....

I do like what he said about the defense. That caught me eye as soon as I read it.

I did not get the same impression listening to the interview as you got in regards to Brandon.

claymore
02-06-2010, 09:50 AM
so did he say anything about the end of times being near?

lake of fire? anything like that. . . ?

no?

i hope he really means it about being aggressive. . . 'cuz it sounds great-- but you have to actually go out there and do it. . .

he also said the offense would do things no one had seen before, and millions of people in cities like cleveland, detroit and buffalo beg to differ with him-- they've seen LOTS of bad, overly conservative and generally unproductive offenses. . .

but if he actually means it. . . well, that would be a good thing in my book. . .

He said the same crap about the offense last year. We did see some new plays. But unfortunatly Kyle Orton lining up at WR didnt scare anyone.

Nomad
02-06-2010, 09:52 AM
He said the same crap about the offense last year. We did see some new plays. But unfortunatly Kyle Orton lining up at WR didnt scare anyone.

What you mean his nickname isn't "Flash"!:lol:

spikerman
02-06-2010, 12:12 PM

That's not true. It scared the hell out of me.

rationalfan
02-06-2010, 12:23 PM

um, i'm pretty certain the teams don't schedule their own preseason games. the schedule comes from the league and, if my memory is correct, the league tries to keep the matchups somewhat regional without playing division opponents. It's why denver often plays arizona, texas teams and san francisco in the preseason.

a quick google search didn't find anything to verify this; but if anyone can confirm or refute my thoughts ...

titan
02-06-2010, 12:33 PM
um, i'm pretty certain the teams don't schedule their own preseason games. the schedule comes from the league and, if my memory is correct, the league tries to keep the matchups somewhat regional without playing division opponents. It's why denver often plays arizona, texas teams and san francisco in the preseason.

a quick google search didn't find anything to verify this; but if anyone can confirm or refute my thoughts ...

You could be right. I know in past years the Broncos had agreements with certain teams to play in preseason (they used to play the 49'ers alot) but that could have changed in recent years.

Regardless of if the nfl sets the schedule, I'm sure the teams have SOME input. The Broncos could tell the league "we'd really like to play the Redskins in preseason this year at Invesco - it would be a good tv game bringing shanahan back to denver and a good test for our team. Look at the ratings for last year's Bears game when cutler returned to denver"

claymore
02-06-2010, 12:48 PM
that's not true. It scared the hell out of me.

lmao!

Dean
02-06-2010, 01:36 PM

It really depends on the ability of your front seven whether you can sit back and play assignment football or whether you have to play chess with offensive coordinator.

If you have the hosses they will still get pressure without the inherent gamble that comes with twists, stunts, and blitzes. Watch Peyton Manning pick apart a blitz. However, if you can't get pressure without blitzing you better be willing to bring the house if necessary. A decent QB, when given, time will beat you.

Northman
02-06-2010, 01:38 PM

What do you mean? That was the "WildBear", not the "Wildcat". Know you place young man! :lol:

TXBRONC
02-06-2010, 02:01 PM

I think you're generally right however I think always a game or two that isn't regional like us facing Chicago last preseason.

silkamilkamonico
02-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Kyle Orton had all world stats when he lined up at WR and then audibled back behind center. If Denver did that 30 times a game their offense might have been better than ho-hum.

Anybody else think the impending strike in 2011 might actually benefit Denver, in it will give them an extra year to "straighten shit out"?

T.K.O.
02-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Kyle Orton had all world stats when he lined up at WR and then audibled back behind center. If Denver did that 30 times a game their offense might have been better than ho-hum.

Anybody else think the impending strike in 2011 might actually benefit Denver, in it will give them an extra year to "straighten shit out"?

you mean if they give mcD 17 months to gameplan we could beat the raiders AND the chiefs 2 times ?:beer::elefant:;)
just kidding....i would be sooooooooooo pissed if their is a lockout !
unless they hired scrubs and played the season anyway,which i would not like as much but still get my broncos football fix so i would survive.
i heard that a "lockout" is different than a "strike" so their could be no scrubs,no nfl....no FOOTBALL !

silkamilkamonico
02-06-2010, 04:14 PM
It's really looking like a full fledged lockout, where the stadiums are shut down. No football period. Considering so much happens in such a small period of time, the NFL might look considerably different with considerably different talent and a complete change in powers.

That might be a good thing for Denver.

T.K.O.
02-06-2010, 04:43 PM
when asked what he thought the chances of tony scheffler and brandon marshall returning to the broncos next season....mcdaniels response was brief and to the point.........

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0429/nfl_a_mcdaniels_300.jpg

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
02-06-2010, 05:02 PM
when asked what he thought the chances of tony scheffler and brandon marshall returning to the broncos next season....mcdaniels response was brief and to the point.........

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0429/nfl_a_mcdaniels_300.jpg

Lmfao:lol::D:laugh::D

Superchop 7
02-06-2010, 09:13 PM
Gonna eat at Shannihans ?

Yeah right.

T.K.O.
02-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Gonna eat at Shannihans ?

Yeah right.

why would'nt he ?
he didnt fire mike...remember josh was hired AFTER they fired shanny....i'm sure mike knows everything isnt mcD's fault

silkamilkamonico
02-07-2010, 05:41 AM
why would'nt he ?
he didnt fire mike...remember josh was hired AFTER they fired shanny....i'm sure mike knows everything isnt mcD's fault

Hopefully he isn't an idiot, and realizes this is all mostly his fault. And I'm talking about Shanahan. Shanahan set this organization back....going on 7 years now.

spikerman
02-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Hopefully he isn't an idiot, and realizes this is all mostly his fault. And I'm talking about Shanahan. Shanahan set this organization back....going on 7 years now.

7 years? I thought the Broncos were in the AFC Championship game in 2005.