PDA

View Full Version : Shannon Sharpe: Teams Will Make Move For Brandon

WARHORSE
02-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Shannon says he personally knows of three teams that are going to make a play for Brandon. If he knows of three, then you can be assured theres more.

We need a bidding war to gain the best cache of picks.

----------------------
From NFL Insider

There's been a lot of speculation over the past month as to where Brandon Marshall will wind up for 2010. Any team could use a player as talented on the field as Marshall, but not every team wants to deal with the possibility of his off-the-field issues. We've speculated that the Pats and Cowboys would be two teams on the cusp of Super Bowl runs who might take a shot, and on Sunday, Klis added the Cleveland Browns to the mix. Former Broncos and Ravens TE Shannon Sharpe said this week that "I know personally there are three teams out there who are going to make a move for Brandon Marshall."

One team that might not want to risk bringing in a player with character issues is one of Sharpe's old teams, the Ravens. Mike Preston of Ravens Insider acknowledges that the team will address WR this offseason, but thinks Marshall has had too many past transgressions for management's taste.

While all of the trade scenarios have varying degrees of likelihood, NFL Insider Adam Schefter e-mailed in on Friday morning with the reason why we can all but eliminate certain teams from the rumor mill:

Adam Schefter
Return package too much for Brandon
"Forget all the Rams-Bucs-Brandon Marshall trade talk. Barring the unforeseen, it will not happen. The Broncos are going to put a high tender on Marshall -- probably a first- and third-round draft choice -- so any team that signs the Pro Bowl wide receiver will have to compensate Denver with the terms that the Broncos dictate. There's no chance the Rams are giving up the first pick in the draft for Brandon Marshall. There's no chance the Buccaneers are giving up the third pick in the draft for Marshall. Now if either of these teams can acquire another first-round pick later in the draft that it could trade to Denver, then maybe something could get done. But the chances of that happening are a long shot, at best. So when Marshall trade rumors continue to circulate -- and they should, Denver will look to trade him -- consider where the potential trade partner is drafting. If it's a high first-round pick, forget it; the trade is not happening."

SOCALORADO.
02-05-2010, 11:08 AM
Well, its somewhat interesting. Nothing really informative other than the sharpe info.
I like that BALT supposedly is not interested. Theres no proof to this, and it could just be a ploy.
I hope that there are only a handful of teams that are already good, and they end up opting to NOT trade for Marshall, and he has no bargaining chip to be pissed, and he ends up having no choice but to sign a contract with stipulations in DEN.

broncofaninfla
02-05-2010, 11:36 AM
I'm convinced there will be 3-5 teams making a play for Marshall.

Lonestar
02-05-2010, 11:41 AM
If no one makes a run on him as a RFA then he is a Bronco at about 50% more than last years salary of 2.2. Or 3.3mil he will be humbled and grumble about not being the highest paid WR in the league. And guess what folks he gets to do it again the next year also for the same terms.

He will not get the huge money he expects IMO because not do they have to pay him they will have to pay us a 1st and a third.

He is going to have to lower his expectations and I hope his agent let's him know it.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

WARHORSE
02-05-2010, 11:45 AM
Well, its somewhat interesting. Nothing really informative other than the sharpe info.
I like that BALT supposedly is not interested. Theres no proof to this, and it could just be a ploy.
I hope that there are only a handful of teams that are already good, and they end up opting to NOT trade for Marshall, and he has no bargaining chip to be pissed, and he ends up having no choice but to sign a contract with stipulations in DEN.

Not gonna happen though.

Cleveland Browns have absolutely gotta be interested, and any team drafting in the latter part of the first is going to consider him even if theyre good.

We know Sharpe has credibility. How credible is the key.

Teams want Brandon. Brandon is a playmaker.

There will be leverage for the Broncos because of the high interest.

I cant see Denver taking a chance on giving him the money after all that hes put them through.

WARHORSE
02-05-2010, 11:49 AM
If no one makes a run on him as a RFA then he is a Bronco at about 50% more than last years salary of 2.2. Or 3.3mil he will be humbled and grumble about not being the highest paid WR in the league. And guess what folks he gets to do it again the next year also for the same terms.

He will not get the huge money he expects IMO because not do they have to pay him they will have to pay us a 1st and a third.

He is going to have to lower his expectations and I hope his agent let's him know it.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

Very much a possibility..................but I for one would be absolutely sick if Marshall stays here unhappily.

Let him pout elsewhere.

underrated29
02-05-2010, 11:55 AM
Baltimore has all but said they are going to go after Boldin.... I dont know why the analysts have not figured this out yet....

Lets break it down.

Boldin- cheaper
Boldin- No off-field concerns
Boldin- Ultimate team player
Boldin- No suspension looming
Boldin- only cost a 2nd rdr, maybe slightly more. Not a 1st and 3rd.

Brandon WILL NOT be going to baltimore!

Secondly, Pat Bowlen publicly stated that Brandon will get his contract extension here with us this year. So unless Pat is lying through his teeth, and we do not trade Brandon. He will get his wish, and settle down. I think you might be wrong on this one jr.

SOCALORADO.
02-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Not gonna happen though.

Cleveland Browns have absolutely gotta be interested, and any team drafting in the latter part of the first is going to consider him even if theyre good.

I cant see Denver taking a chance on giving him the money after all that hes put them through.

Anything can happen. Brandon is a moron, and so teams will shy away from a guy who they have to give up ton of picks for, and then have to sign to a huge contract.
No one knows, but i think their are teams interested. How interested is another story. we'll see.

SOCALORADO.
02-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Baltimore has all but said they are going to go after Boldin.... I dont know why the analysts have not figured this out yet....

Lets break it down.

Boldin- cheaper
Boldin- No off-field concerns
Boldin- Ultimate team player
Boldin- No suspension looming
Boldin- only cost a 2nd rdr, maybe slightly more. Not a 1st and 3rd.

Secondly, Pat Bowlen publicly stated that Brandon will get his contract extension here with us this year. So unless Pat is lying through his teeth, and we do not trade Brandon. He will get his wish, and settle down. I think you might be wrong on this one jr.

You forgot
Boldin- ALWAYS injured.
Boldin- ALWAYS bitching about his contract status.
Boldin-29 years old.

Tom Nalen
02-05-2010, 12:15 PM
I do not care how many draft picks or players we get from the Ravens..we better not trade Brandon there? Fill the one of the only weaknesses the Ravens have? YEAH RIGHT! Flacco would improve and the Ravens Defense is the Ravnens defense. The last thing we need to do is improve a team like the Ravens.

underrated29
02-05-2010, 12:15 PM
You forgot
Boldin- ALWAYS injured.
Boldin- ALWAYS bitching about his contract status.
Boldin-29 years old.

yep.

But as a GM/HC would you go for boldin and give up a 2nd. Or brandon and all his baggage for a 1st and 3rd....
To me its a no brainer.

Plus you know boldin will play through his injury. or come back 2 weeks after getting his face shattered.

Tom Nalen
02-05-2010, 12:18 PM
Can we have Fitzgerald instead :)

CoachChaz
02-05-2010, 12:20 PM
It's the NFL. EVERY player has a price tag and can be had for the right price. Personally, I dont see Marshall playing elsewhere next season for a number of reasons. I'm not sure anyone will give up alot for him and beyond that...I think the team AND the head coach want to keep him...regardless of what the media wants to twist.

That being said...why wouldnt STL trade their first for our first and third this year and our third next year? They get Marshall, then at pick #11, they can likely get Bradford. Suddenly, you have an offense that can do things and still have extra picks to build up the defense.

Denver could use the #1 to draft Suh and get OL help in the 2nd.

Seems like it would work out for both teams...which increases the liklihood that it wouldnt happen.

frauschieze
02-05-2010, 12:22 PM

No, Bowlen said Brandon would get his contract & money after this year. He did not specify that he would get them from the Broncos.

WARHORSE
02-05-2010, 12:27 PM

That was BEFORE he batted passes down and punted the footballs in practice and acted like an idiot.

All bets are off on that one.

That was before he dismissed himself from practice cause he "couldnt breathe."

That alone tells me get rid of the guy.

The only thing up to this point that has kept him in check is the hope for a big payday. Whos to say once he gets the money he doesnt become a double time idiot?

Any contract he signs is gonna come with behavior clauses, but his guard is going to come down somewhat and no one knows what we're gonna get. Not what you want to be concerning yourself with when you pay out the big dollars.

And not to be judgmental, but his fiance seems like the volatile type.

Just what he needs.

We're gonna find out though. But I hope hes wearing another color next year.

Get rid of the flash, and bring the SMASH.

Iupati for Marshall. I'll write the check.:coffee:

Poet
02-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Not gonna happen though.

I don't think the Browns will be a big player. Their defense is crap, the right side of their offensive line played terribly last year, they have no QB and their best player very well could be a special teams guy.

Holmgren runs that show, and I don't remember him fielding many guys like Brandon.

WARHORSE
02-05-2010, 01:51 PM
I don't think the Browns will be a big player. Their defense is crap, the right side of their offensive line played terribly last year, they have no QB and their best player very well could be a special teams guy.

Holmgren runs that show, and I don't remember him fielding many guys like Brandon.

Actually, the Browns defense was hampered alot by a terrible offense.

But they came on strong as the year went forward. Sacking Rothlesburger around six times is nuts.

That was without Rogers in the lineup.

The Browns number one need is a number one WR.

That being, they are definitely looking at the situation and coming up with what they would be willing to give up for Brandons services.

What that is............who knows.

JDL
02-05-2010, 02:32 PM
The Browns are not a player at all imo... not after dumping Edwards for similar reasons... they just don't want the headache... Edwards was a headcase for them for a year and a half til they finally sold him for pennies on the dollar. They aren't going to then turn around and offer up premium picks for a more productive head case. Just don't see it, period. BTW, as desperate as they are at WR they are going to immediately release Stallworth as well (he did something horrible though debatable whether it actually made a difference whether he was drunk, but he shouldn't have been in that position), but he at least has really gone above and beyond what most players do in that situation (See Vick.) But, the Browns don't want anymore distractions or troubled players right now... it just doesn't make sense.

Brandon Marshall will probably be going in a deal that nets us players or moves us around in the draft.

For instance,

Seattle - Denver gets #6 pick overall and Seattle's 2nd rd pick, Seattle gets #10/11 and Denver's 2nd rd pick.

Analysis: Denver possibly moves up (not sure why, unless they REALLY love both Clausen/Bradford and hope one will be there) and Seattle gives up one of those 2 QBs if they don't really like them. Doesn't make a lot of sense from the team perspectives - normally a team would prefer to give up the #6 pick and be positioned where Denver is (so close to their other pick, cheaper) Plus, side Seattle adds a Pro Bowl WR they are familiar with, Denver moves up in the 2nd rd into the sweet spot (30-38 is generally a great great place to draft, once you get into the 40s it really tends to suck a little bit.)

Don't see it happening though.. but this is an idea of the kinds of deals Denver may be forced to look at.

The other option is the addition of players... Seattle has an extra LB/WR I believe plus maybe their 2nd. I still think Chicago would at least consider trading Urlacher now. Would Denver go after Wilfork? I hope not personally (he'll get fatter and lazier once he gets paid and that won't work in the Mile High air.. Pat Williams lasted what...1 year here?), but maybe RFA OG Logan Mankins, that would be intriguing to me plus their latest 2nd rd pick.

I don't even know if Denver really wants another 1st rd pick, there were serious rumors that is why Denver made that trade last year for Smith, they really didn't want multiple 1sts and to pay that money out. I can't imagine personally, but it is possible, people forget that Bowlen is around the 20th wealthiest owner and probably took a pretty big hit in the down economy. (He is one of the driving forces actually for the looming lockout and has at times been the spokesperson.) Not saying Pat is cheap, but we may be in an unfortunate state of frugality thanks to his situation and looming lockout.

Right now I'd be happy if we could somehow land 2 of (Iupati, D.Williams, R.McClain, B. Graham) in the first round.

Marshall needs to go imo, I just can't see how what he did last wasn't simply unforgivable to his teammates let alone the coach and fans? Great player, total dumb@ss.

JDL
02-05-2010, 02:39 PM
BTW,

my guess at the teams?

Seattle (probably won't be able to do anything - will be complicated because we aren't getting our pick back.)

NY Jets (Edwards sort of showed up, but the Jets realize they need a WR for Sanchez to rely on, and Edwards as a 40rec guy isn't that great, we might get Cotchery back in a deal.)

Miami (they have some nice 2nd tier WRs, but there's little doubt with the ending of the Wildcat there, they will need some help for Henne, Nolan has a feel for Marshall so this can cut two ways... either he loves him or he doesn't. If he does, then it comes into play, but you have to wonder since it was mainly D players that went to McDaniels.)

Dark Horse: Indianapolis.. don't be surprised, it is the perfect spot for him, they are having to hand out a huge Manning deal this year... they may want to give him a WR to end his career with (Wayne is pretty old already, amazingly to me) and while the young guys are nice, if they lose this Super Bowl? They will take a look at what they need to get over the hump and I don't think they'll find it with the 31st pick, even if they win they might not. Also, Manning formed a friendship with Marshall at last year's pro bowl. I had hoped they could reconnect but Manning is in the Super Bowl.

underrated29
02-05-2010, 03:00 PM
I certainly agree that marshall will probably be moved in a draft day deal. Honestly, unless some team breaks the bank (picks/players to us) for him, I dont see him going anywhere except possibly in a draft day move.

Lonestar
02-05-2010, 03:04 PM
I do not care how many draft picks or players we get from the Ravens..we better not trade Brandon there? Fill the one of the only weaknesses the Ravens have? YEAH RIGHT! Flacco would improve and the Ravens Defense is the Ravnens defense. The last thing we need to do is improve a team like the Ravens.

No ONE worries about who the player goes to as long as it is NOT a division opponent same conference is acceptable as there own division may take them out and if not may lose in the playoffs before we see them.

Obviously someone in the other conference is preferred but that may not be an OPTION if he goes vis being a RFA it is up to HIM who he plays for if there are multiple options on the table. My guess he will go to the TOP bidder regardless of where it is.

It's the NFL. EVERY player has a price tag and can be had for the right price. Personally, I dont see Marshall playing elsewhere next season for a number of reasons. I'm not sure anyone will give up alot for him and beyond that...I think the team AND the head coach want to keep him...regardless of what the media wants to twist.

That being said...why wouldnt STL trade their first for our first and third this year and our third next year? They get Marshall, then at pick #11, they can likely get Bradford. Suddenly, you have an offense that can do things and still have extra picks to build up the defense.

Denver could use the #1 to draft Suh and get OL help in the 2nd.

Seems like it would work out for both teams...which increases the liklihood that it wouldnt happen.

I think that Josh is tired of the issues he has put on the table this past year.

I also think that they will attempt to sign him to an incentive laden contract with little or no money guaranteed. Even if they give him money they will have iron clad behavior clause in it to get money back should they have to trade/cut him for being BM.

YES I know that he is unlikely to sign a contract but i still think they will offer him something besides the high tender in hopes he has indeed changed.

If he does not wish to sign we have the High tender RFA route to go.

BM is screwed by being a 4th year guy and the Broncos have as I have always maintained are holding all of the cards.

Northman
02-05-2010, 03:05 PM

I keep seeing you post this, where are your sources? I live here in Bmore and they constantly talk about him being a possibility. Here's more fodder on the subject and lets not forget this is the same organization that made a play for Terrell Owens at one point. And with Mason probably retiring this year im not sure they would be willing to go after a guy who is older and constantly fights the injury bug.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/335435-is-brandon-marshall-headed-for-baltimore

T.K.O.
02-05-2010, 03:44 PM
part of an older article on the matter i found interesting....
Some of Marshall's numbers this season — good and bad — were a product of the Broncos' problems on offense. But Marshall doesn't seem nearly as comfortable reeling in the ball and making the catch with his back to the quarterback, which is why most of his work in the Denver offense has come on routes when he is facing the quarterback and can look the ball in instead of turning his head to look back while running.

It's also why you don't see him working the sidelines much in places where he has to go get the ball and get his feet down in limited space.

That's why 65 of Marshall's catches this season, with runs after the catch included, went for 10 yards or fewer. That's 64.4 percent of his receiving plays. And 30 of his catch-and-run plays went for 5 yards or fewer, including two for negative yardage. That's 29.7 percent and basically amounts to a running play.

Not to drown in the numbers, but Marshall had just 10 receiving plays this season — the catch and run — for 21 yards or more, and half of his 10 touchdowns came on plays of 5 yards or fewer.

That says "possession receiver" to many in the NFL, and possession receivers don't reel in the mega dollars. Some personnel evaluators question Marshall's ability to catch the ball in downfield traffic.

So opinions are divided on both Marshall as a player, and that's not even considering some teams' concerns about his maturity and ability to handle a huge contract — and just how much they would surrender to get him from the Broncos.

That also puts the Broncos in a position to consider all offers carefully. If they take the hard-line approach, teams might back away from Marshall, thinking the Broncos may release him rather than risk putting him back in their locker room as an unhappy player.

One general manager in the NFL recently said if Marshall is so good that the Broncos would want premium draft picks for him, then Marshall is good enough for the Broncos to put up with him.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14136532#ixzz0eh9vZgi5

underrated29
02-05-2010, 06:08 PM
I keep seeing you post this, where are your sources? I live here in Bmore and they constantly talk about him being a possibility. Here's more fodder on the subject and lets not forget this is the same organization that made a play for Terrell Owens at one point. And with Mason probably retiring this year im not sure they would be willing to go after a guy who is older and constantly fights the injury bug.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/335435-is-brandon-marshall-headed-for-baltimore

Id have to find the article that says balt is not interested. For now I am too lazy to look it up, and to busy at work. It was posted over at BM.

The other half is my personal opinion. If I was the Ravens I would not look at Marshall unless it was for a 2nd rd pick. I have stated why before but here is a brief recap.

-Cost to much $$$ wise
-Cost to much player/pick wise
-Wont play through injury-very much-if at all
-Off field issues
-Suspension issues
-Possibility of him getting paid and stop producing
-There are WR in the draft that are equal or better then him IMO. Yes, I know the draft is not a sure thing, but I would take dez, or Demarius Thomas over trading/signing brandon.
-There are lots of other good/great FA WR on the market this year

-Boldin, Vjax, A.bryant,- then there are guys like Avant for the eagles and second tier FA.

Trading a 2 for Boldin and Signing bryant or Avant would be a great way to fix the WR corps without forking out $$$, picks and or players, and still be able to draft other needs for your team.

Now I dont hate the guy or anything, and would love to see him stay or us get Max value a 1&3, but If I was in charge at the ravens, I would think, ummm no- lets do what we can in FA and see how the draft shakes out. If we still dont like our WR by the time or close to the broncos/ravens pick--then make the trade....

I dunno man- Obviously, I am no FO guy or scout, but to me it makes perfect sense why not too, and those guys are a lot better at this than I am.

Northman
02-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Id have to find the article that says balt is not interested. For now I am too lazy to look it up, and to busy at work. It was posted over at BM.

The other half is my personal opinion. If I was the Ravens I would not look at Marshall unless it was for a 2nd rd pick. I have stated why before but here is a brief recap.

-Cost to much $$$ wise
-Cost to much player/pick wise
-Wont play through injury-very much-if at all
-Off field issues
-Suspension issues
-Possibility of him getting paid and stop producing
-There are WR in the draft that are equal or better then him IMO. Yes, I know the draft is not a sure thing, but I would take dez, or Demarius Thomas over trading/signing brandon.
-There are lots of other good/great FA WR on the market this year

-Boldin, Vjax, A.bryant,- then there are guys like Avant for the eagles and second tier FA.

Trading a 2 for Boldin and Signing bryant or Avant would be a great way to fix the WR corps without forking out $$$, picks and or players, and still be able to draft other needs for your team.

Now I dont hate the guy or anything, and would love to see him stay or us get Max value a 1&3, but If I was in charge at the ravens, I would think, ummm no- lets do what we can in FA and see how the draft shakes out. If we still dont like our WR by the time or close to the broncos/ravens pick--then make the trade....

I dunno man- Obviously, I am no FO guy or scout, but to me it makes perfect sense why not too, and those guys are a lot better at this than I am.

Well, i cant argue with your reasonings but at the same time Bmore will probably be a little skeptical on drafting a wr since they havent had any luck doing that in the past. My guess is they will want to look for a proven talnet and although avant is good he isnt great and i know Bmore has talked about getting a playmaker at that position. Mason was a vet and good one but even with him there was some doubt about their wr core producing the way they like. As far as the attitude and off the field stuff i cant say whether or not Brandon will change but sometimes a change of scenery does a player wonders. Time will tell.

Poet
02-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Baltimore definitely is a team that could use Marshall.

They're a team whose window could either be greatly extended or greatly closed this offseason. Assume for a second that Ed Reed retires; the only good player in their secondary, a guy who is probably going to end up in the HOF leaves their team. You can't replace that production and you know you're going to give up more points.

A good way to mitigate some of that is to add to your team. Yeah, you can't make Marshall into a safety, but you can put him on the field and give Flacco a huge weapon. It's safe to assume that the Ravens would be a higher scoring team with Marshall.

You could easily substitute the name Ed Reed for Ray Lewis. To a lesser extent Trevor Pryce as well.

Todd Heap isn't close to what he was, which is a shame because I've seen him play for years and if he ever had a great QB he could have put up some serious numbers.

Mason is old and at one point retired last offseason.

The point is that while the Ravens are young at a lot of places, they are REAL old where they're old.

Baltimore is probably going to be interested.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be shocked to see Marshall end up as a Bengal.

Ravage!!!
02-05-2010, 08:05 PM

Noooo..... I think Ocho is calling for Owens!! (saw this on another board)

First Chad Ochocinco added OCNN to his portfolio. Could he have the Bengals' GM job on his mind next?

The Cincinnati Pro Bowler said Thursday that he'd like the team to sign Terrell Owens in the offseason to join him on the field with Carson Palmer.

Owens told the NFL Network he'd be open to moving to Cincinnati and wouldn't have any trouble sharing the stage with the outspoken Ochocinco.

But he cautioned the NFL might not want the two to suit up on the same team. "The league don't want to see that," Owens said. "That's too dynamic."

He continued:

"Of course (we) could. I did (share the football) with Jerry (Rice in San Francisco. Chad and I are the best of friends. ... Nothing could drive a wedge between us."

Poet
02-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Noooo..... I think Ocho is calling for Owens!! (saw this on another board)

First Chad Ochocinco added OCNN to his portfolio. Could he have the Bengals' GM job on his mind next?

The Cincinnati Pro Bowler said Thursday that he'd like the team to sign Terrell Owens in the offseason to join him on the field with Carson Palmer.

Owens told the NFL Network he'd be open to moving to Cincinnati and wouldn't have any trouble sharing the stage with the outspoken Ochocinco.

But he cautioned the NFL might not want the two to suit up on the same team. "The league don't want to see that," Owens said. "That's too dynamic."

He continued:

"Of course (we) could. I did (share the football) with Jerry (Rice in San Francisco. Chad and I are the best of friends. ... Nothing could drive a wedge between us."

CJ is a great WR and an idiot of a man.

claymore
02-05-2010, 08:38 PM
I hope to God JMCD can draft.

BroncoWave
02-05-2010, 08:44 PM
CJ is a great WR and an idiot of a man.

Ochocinco is anything but an idiot. He is an absolute brilliant promoter. He is going to have a great career after football in the media or in whatever he wants to do. What qualifies him as an idiot though? His TD celebrations? His off the field antics? His buying tickets for hundreds of Bengals fans to see a game for free. His constantly going out and hanging out with fans and treating large groups of them to meals and movies? The fact that he's never been in trouble with the law?

I mean yeah he is goofy most of the time but I don't think that qualifies him as an idiot. I mean, he stays out of trouble and does more for fans than probably any player in the NFL. Brandon Marshall is an idiot, Ochocinco is just a goofball with a good heart.

dogfish
02-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Baltimore definitely is a team that could use Marshall.

They're a team whose window could either be greatly extended or greatly closed this offseason. Assume for a second that Ed Reed retires; the only good player in their secondary, a guy who is probably going to end up in the HOF leaves their team. You can't replace that production and you know you're going to give up more points.

A good way to mitigate some of that is to add to your team. Yeah, you can't make Marshall into a safety, but you can put him on the field and give Flacco a huge weapon. It's safe to assume that the Ravens would be a higher scoring team with Marshall.

You could easily substitute the name Ed Reed for Ray Lewis. To a lesser extent Trevor Pryce as well.

Todd Heap isn't close to what he was, which is a shame because I've seen him play for years and if he ever had a great QB he could have put up some serious numbers.

Mason is old and at one point retired last offseason.

The point is that while the Ravens are young at a lot of places, they are REAL old where they're old.

Baltimore is probably going to be interested.

good post, fatass. . . i think U29's reasoning is sound, but each team has a different schedule or agenda-- and a guy like marshall, just hitting his prime but already a proven performer, makes sense for multiple scenarios. . . a team that's ready to win now, OR a team building for the future, because he has plenty of good years ahead of him. . . i agree that baltimore probably fits more into the former group, between the age of the vets on their D, and what it's going to cost to keep their young offense together when guys like rice and gaither start coming up for new deals. . . maybe even more importantly, if teams really envision a work stoppage next year, then this season could be the last chance for the vultures to win another ring with ray lewis and ed reed. . .

that alone could make it worth trading for a guy like marshall, who would really fit well there. . . they like to play big and physical on both sides of the ball, and that suits his game perfectly-- he's exactly the type of gamebreaker they've needed at receiver and not been able to find for over a decade now, the type of impact player that might make their highly talented team into serious contenders. . .

and they probably wouldn't mind keeping him away from the rest of a tough division, either-- better to deal with his off-field headaches than dealing with him as an ON-field headache twice a year. . .

i'm sure you probably don't want either of 'em, but if i'm you, i'd sure rather have marshall than TO-- they both have issues, but at least brandon's still young and productive. . . TO's an azzclown with declining skills that don't justify putting up with much BS as teams used to. . .

ultimately, whether it is baltimore or somebody else, marshall will bring a solid price-- it only takes one, and proven talent will always attract plenty of attention regardless of the attached baggage. . .

Poet
02-05-2010, 10:59 PM
Ochocinco is anything but an idiot. He is an absolute brilliant promoter. He is going to have a great career after football in the media or in whatever he wants to do. What qualifies him as an idiot though? His TD celebrations? His off the field antics? His buying tickets for hundreds of Bengals fans to see a game for free. His constantly going out and hanging out with fans and treating large groups of them to meals and movies? The fact that he's never been in trouble with the law?

I mean yeah he is goofy most of the time but I don't think that qualifies him as an idiot. I mean, he stays out of trouble and does more for fans than probably any player in the NFL. Brandon Marshall is an idiot, Ochocinco is just a goofball with a good heart.

No, he's a moron. He's not brilliant at all. If you ever actually truly listen to what he says you'd realize that he's charismatic, but all stupid. There's a clip of Marvin Lewis explaining to him how banks work. He's 32 years old and he doesn't know how banks work.

He's a good guy. He's also a tard. He thought he was going to bully his way out of Cincinnati. Anyone with any knowledge of how Mike Brown works would know that if you demand anything from him you will get nothing.

Remember when he campaigned to get traded? Remember all the interviews he gave about that on the NFL Network, ESPN, etc etc etc? Remember at that same pro bowl how he got into it with a camera man and pushed him?

He also has had run ins with the law. While he was in college he was arrested for domestic abuse. He's not a bad guy, but I've been listenign and watching him since his career started.

What makes him an idiot is the fact that about a decade into a career he still hasn't learned how to block AND when he runs after the catch he leaves the ball hanging out for anyone to strip him.

And some of the stuff he says is stupid. Him thinking that he could TO could coexist on the Bengals is retarded. TO is one of the biggest cancers the NFL has ever seen. He's also never played with anyone who is as boisterous as CJ.

TO couldn't get along in Dallas with a QB who would throw the ball to him no matter what. Carson Palmer throws the ball to whomever is open.

Yeah, CJ has done a lot for Cincinnati. As far as this decade goes the only WRs better than him were Moss, TO, Harrison and maybe Holt. He's a HOF WR.

But in the past he's made more than his fair share of mess ups. Tell me about the time he threw a tantrum at halftime during the 05 WC game. The stories that he slugged Marvin Lewis are obviously wrong, but he even admitted that he started flailing after he went nuts and ripped an IV out of his own veins.

Or why don't you tell me about all the times him running the wrong route led to an INT or at the very least a wasted down?

Tell me all the times I've seen him NOT fight for a ball that was a possible INT.

The fact of the matter is that I like Ocho. I like him enough to have paid 400 bucks for a helmet that he signed. That doesn't mean that he isn't a tard.

He's a likable guy. You can approach him. I know people that met him and he's cool and he will talk to the fans. My favorite story of him was in 05 he was at the mall and a little kid who adored him ran up and said "MERRY XMAS CJ!" and gave him a dollar. CJ turned around and gave the kid a 100 dollar bill.

CJ was wrecked when Henry died, and against SD you could tell that he played his heart out for the guy.

Maybe idiot is a harsh term, but he's not the brightest bulb in the world.

Poet
02-05-2010, 11:05 PM
If I had to pick between Marshall or TO, I'd take TO. He'd only be a Bengal for one year.

If Marshall gets his head right he'd be worth a lot.

CrazyHorse
02-05-2010, 11:29 PM
I just woke up from this dream where Denver traded Marshall to Oakland for Shane Lechler, their first, and some late round pick.

topscribe
02-05-2010, 11:57 PM
Not gonna happen though.

I can. Both sides are holding olive branches out toward each other. Marshall
said he would like to remain a Bronco, and McDaniels said, "I like Brandon as a
person. . . . I can see us working together." McDaniels also said he wants the
best players on the field, "and Brandon is one of them."

At this point, I'm not too sure Marshall's going anywhere . . .

-----

WARHORSE
02-06-2010, 03:28 AM

-----

Well, it is possible.

Personally, if I knew the two guys would mature within the offseason, I might even be happy about it. ;)

Broncolingus
02-06-2010, 03:42 AM
I'm betting Clay's house that Marshall isn't a Bronco next season...

WARHORSE
02-06-2010, 03:50 AM
The Browns are not a player at all imo... not after dumping Edwards for similar reasons... they just don't want the headache... Edwards was a headcase for them for a year and a half til they finally sold him for pennies on the dollar. They aren't going to then turn around and offer up premium picks for a more productive head case. Just don't see it, period. BTW, as desperate as they are at WR they are going to immediately release Stallworth as well (he did something horrible though debatable whether it actually made a difference whether he was drunk, but he shouldn't have been in that position), but he at least has really gone above and beyond what most players do in that situation (See Vick.) But, the Browns don't want anymore distractions or troubled players right now... it just doesn't make sense.

Comparing Brandon and Braylon is like comparing Welker of NE to Kevin Curtis of the Eagles.

Braylon accomplished exactly what over the last few seasons?

Brandon caught half his entire season in one game, and Braylon drops as many passes as he catches almost.

The Jets gave up a third, a fourth and two players, with the third becoming a second if he caught a certain amount of passes. I dont think he accomplished that.

The players traded for were Mangini boys.

Chansi Stuckey and Jason Trusnik

Trusnik had 56 tackles in 12 games with 2.5 sacks

Stuckey had half the catches Edwards had.

Brandon was barely used in the first few games of the season, and still came out with a 100 plus reception year with 10 TDs.

Mind you, with Kyle Orton at the helm, which is no elite QB.

The Browns have gotta be considering Brandon. Every smart team is.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-06-2010, 10:24 AM
part of an older article on the matter i found interesting....
Some of Marshall's numbers this season — good and bad — were a product of the Broncos' problems on offense. But Marshall doesn't seem nearly as comfortable reeling in the ball and making the catch with his back to the quarterback, which is why most of his work in the Denver offense has come on routes when he is facing the quarterback and can look the ball in instead of turning his head to look back while running.

It's also why you don't see him working the sidelines much in places where he has to go get the ball and get his feet down in limited space.

That's why 65 of Marshall's catches this season, with runs after the catch included, went for 10 yards or fewer. That's 64.4 percent of his receiving plays. And 30 of his catch-and-run plays went for 5 yards or fewer, including two for negative yardage. That's 29.7 percent and basically amounts to a running play.

Not to drown in the numbers, but Marshall had just 10 receiving plays this season — the catch and run — for 21 yards or more, and half of his 10 touchdowns came on plays of 5 yards or fewer.

That says "possession receiver" to many in the NFL, and possession receivers don't reel in the mega dollars. Some personnel evaluators question Marshall's ability to catch the ball in downfield traffic.

So opinions are divided on both Marshall as a player, and that's not even considering some teams' concerns about his maturity and ability to handle a huge contract — and just how much they would surrender to get him from the Broncos.

That also puts the Broncos in a position to consider all offers carefully. If they take the hard-line approach, teams might back away from Marshall, thinking the Broncos may release him rather than risk putting him back in their locker room as an unhappy player.

One general manager in the NFL recently said if Marshall is so good that the Broncos would want premium draft picks for him, then Marshall is good enough for the Broncos to put up with him.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14136532#ixzz0eh9vZgi5

This article has been referenced before about Marshall's "inability" to catch over the shoulder etc, etc, etc. It proves absolutely nothing. Our scheme and QB both changed this year. The fact that he went from having a QB who would throw downfield and could put the ball wherever he wanted in an offense that lived off the medium range pass to a QB that can't make all the throws in an offense that lives off the short pass - and still puts up 100 + catches, 1000 + yards and 10 TDs tells me how great he really is. He's the ONLY member of our offense who didn't lose a step this year in production. THE ONLY ONE.

This article is absolutely BOGUS when you look at what he did in previous seasons.

Northman
02-06-2010, 11:34 AM

-----

To be fair we've heard this song and dance before. Quoted from McD "Jay is our guy". A few weeks later he is traded. It might work out between them but i personally dont see Brandon remaining a Bronco. Especially considering how McD has almost an zero tolerance for players who constantly have issues on the team. You can appreciate a player's talent and personality all day long but if in the end you bump heads (See Nolan) than something's got to give.

Medford Bronco
02-06-2010, 12:00 PM
I just want us to get better.

Its not about personal stats. Just ask Rod Smith who had zero catches in Super Bowl 32

Its about winning no matter how.

I just want Denver to get better. I remember back in the day on the Sat before the Atlanta Super Bowl. I had very little doubt that Denver would beat them. ahhh that was a LONG TIME ago, but a great time to be a Denver fan nonetheless.

BTW how many Super Bowl Championships does Moss and Owens have

thats right zero. Its not about stats, its about winning as a team.

I would take the scrappers like Eddie McCaffrey any day of the week over those two. Wes Welker was like Eddie and I see a lot of his talent in Collie.

Rod Smith did what it took to win as well. Stats are for losers. Go play baseball for stats.

Ravage!!!
02-06-2010, 04:44 PM
How many Super Bowls does Welker have?