PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Poll

orangeandblue
02-03-2010, 09:16 PM
I recently saw a poll asking, "What would be the best venue for the Super Bowl in 2012?"

My first thought was Invesco Field, but it is getting killed in the polls. Even Sports Illustrated ranked it as one of the best stadiums in the NFL. I may be biased so I was interested to hear what other people thought.

If you want to see the poll or cast your vote you can find it at:
http://www.teentraveltalk.com/poll/

spikerman
02-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Unfortunately Denver will never get a Super Bowl because the weather in late January/early February is too unpredictable. The NFL does not want a "winter weather" game. I'm sure the NFL is very concerned about the wet weather in Miami this week. I imagine there will come a time (long after I'm gone) that every NFL stadium will be built with a retractable roof so that every city has a chance to host a SB.

Superchop 7
02-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Texas stadium makes the most sense.

spikerman
02-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Invesco Field is a very nice stadium, but I think Reliant Stadium in Houston is the nicest I've ever been in.

Denver Native (Carol)
Very few people have voted as yet, and the two that are leading are Pittsburgh, and Green Bay - both of which are outside stadiums. I once heard that they would never consider having the SuperBowl in Denver, because of the "rich" people who come to the game, (who could care less what the outcome is), but they come early enough to want to go out on the town, have a good time etc., and they want the weather nice. Yes, it is unpredictable in Denver in late January/early February, however many times, those times have been nice here, just as often as they have not been. What amazes me is that they don't care what the weather is for the AFC/NFC Championship Games, and I feel that should also be the way it is for the SuperBowl.

titan
Unfortunately Denver will never get a Super Bowl because the weather in late January/early February is too unpredictable. The NFL does not want a "winter weather" game. I'm sure the NFL is very concerned about the wet weather in Miami this week. I imagine there will come a time (long after I'm gone) that every NFL stadium will be built with a retractable roof so that every city has a chance to host a SB.

Totally agree on Denver's chances to host a super bowl - none. I think the city missed a great opportunity when Invesco was built to have a retractable dome. With a dome the facility could have been used for the Super Bowl and other big events (like ncaa final fours).

As I remember after the DIA luggage system fiasco the mayor at the time didn't want to mess with any experimential technology (retractable dome) - even though there had been other retractable domes built. They also wanted to keep the costs of the project down to increase the chances it would be approved by the voters. Given the wide margin of victory for the new stadium vote I think a Denver retractable dome stadium still would have been voted in.

spikerman
02-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Very few people have voted as yet, and the two that are leading are Pittsburgh, and Green Bay - both of which are outside stadiums. I once heard that they would never consider having the SuperBowl in Denver, because of the "rich" people who come to the game, (who could care less what the outcome is), but they come early enough to want to go out on the town, have a good time etc., and they want the weather nice. Yes, it is unpredictable in Denver in late January/early February, however many times, those times have been nice here, just as often as they have not been. What amazes me is that they don't care what the weather is for the AFC/NFC Championship Games, and I feel that should also be the way it is for the SuperBowl.

I'm torn. Yes, football is an all weather sport, but in the biggest game of the year I want to see the two best (theoretically) teams duke it out in the best conditions possible. Obviously the best team doesn't always win, but I think more often than not if weather is not a factor the odds are that the better team will prevail.

Broncolingus
02-03-2010, 10:01 PM
F the NFL...no issue with the game being played outside and they can stick-it with "fair weather" only venues.

Go 'The Diaphragm!"

Nomad
02-03-2010, 10:09 PM
A teen site with a poll and most teens are bandwagoners so it's no surprise they chose the last Superbowl winning team and probably most popular team in the country! I myself would have like to have seen a SB in the old Kingdome!!:loco:

Dirk
02-04-2010, 06:39 AM
Denver's chances...none.

I tend to agree that the conditions should be optimal for the biggest game of the season. But...it is football and a team should be able to overcome adversity to win. Even if it's a blizzard.

Now, the NFL will not look at it that way because the SB is $$$$$ to them. Plain and simple. The $$$ trumps everything else. They aren't going to be able to sell the high dollar tickets if the "fair weather" (literally) fans have to sit in a cold seat.

Northman
02-04-2010, 07:05 AM
People wont want to go to stadiums where its cold outside for a SB. They want to be able to celebrate the game without freezing their asses off.

UnderArmour
02-04-2010, 10:11 AM
I'd love to see an outdoor snowing Super Bowl. Force em to stand out in the cold, that's how football is meant to be played, in the elements. And really? People won't go? It's the SUPER BOWL. Of course people will want to go, even if it is -20 degrees outside and snowing. Are you kidding me? (You probably are, :( )

But, if not, Reliant Stadium should get another call. Miami doesn't need anymore Super Bowls just so that the owners can go yachting, it's supposed to be about the fans. Florida needs to stop getting Super Bowls every other year.

Ravage!!!
02-04-2010, 10:56 AM
People wont want to go to stadiums where its cold outside for a SB. They want to be able to celebrate the game without freezing their asses off.

Exactly. People are forgetting that the SB is a 2 week EVENT. Interviews and things outside (NFL Experience).. meeting players and booths. Parties and socializing. Its a HUGE money making ordeal, and people don't want to spend THOUSANDS of dollars (Travel, hotel, food and tickets) to go to a place that may be freezing their nuts off.

They had the SB in Detroit, not long ago, and it was a DISASTER because of the weather. They will never do it there again. Thats why Denver wouldn't get one even if they had a roof on the stadium. Its the 2 weeks of events PRIOR that would be affected by the weather.

Pittsburgh and Green Bay will never get one, either.

I may love Invesco, and would love to see a Super Bowl in Denver.....but its not going to happen. Just its never going to happen in NY (despite having the city to handle it).

Ravage!!!
02-04-2010, 10:58 AM
I'd love to see an outdoor snowing Super Bowl. Force em to stand out in the cold, that's how football is meant to be played, in the elements. And really? People won't go? It's the SUPER BOWL. Of course people will want to go, even if it is -20 degrees outside and snowing. Are you kidding me? (You probably are, :( )

But, if not, Reliant Stadium should get another call. Miami doesn't need anymore Super Bowls just so that the owners can go yachting, it's supposed to be about the fans. Florida needs to stop getting Super Bowls every other year.

See.. I don't agree.

I don't want to see a Super Bowl in snow, ice, sleet.... or even Rain. I want the PLAYERs to be at their best. Both teams being able to play FOOTBALL and not be affected by mud, fog, snow... and freezing temperatures. Those are great to watch every once in a while... but usually those games are REALLLLLLY boring after a while. You can't run, you can't throw. The score is really low because no team can do anything... and its the first to get to 2 FGs wins! YUCK! I don't want that in a Super Bowl.

UnderArmour
02-04-2010, 11:10 AM
See.. I don't agree.

I don't want to see a Super Bowl in snow, ice, sleet.... or even Rain. I want the PLAYERs to be at their best. Both teams being able to play FOOTBALL and not be affected by mud, fog, snow... and freezing temperatures. Those are great to watch every once in a while... but usually those games are REALLLLLLY boring after a while. You can't run, you can't throw. The score is really low because no team can do anything... and its the first to get to 2 FGs wins! YUCK! I don't want that in a Super Bowl.

The great ones adjust to the elements anyways. Muddied fields didn't stop Elway. You put FOOTBALL in all caps, but honestly I see the weather as part of the game. The elements have always been part of NFL lore, I don't see why that had to go away for the Super Bowl.

underrated29
02-04-2010, 11:40 AM
screw that. The weather games are a shit ton of fun to watch. I love those games!

And I guarantee you that people will show up cold or not. Its the super bowl. in fact i bet that if it was 20 degrees outside people would still be shirtless with the letters of their teams on their chest.

I mean are they men or not. The superbowl is the one game you go all out for everything. I doubt a little snow, cold, wind or anything else will keep the desire out of the players to finish the job.

Nomad
02-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Exactly. People are forgetting that the SB is a 2 week EVENT. Interviews and things outside (NFL Experience).. meeting players and booths. Parties and socializing. Its a HUGE money making ordeal, and people don't want to spend THOUSANDS of dollars (Travel, hotel, food and tickets) to go to a place that may be freezing their nuts off.

They had the SB in Detroit, not long ago, and it was a DISASTER because of the weather. They will never do it there again. Thats why Denver wouldn't get one even if they had a roof on the stadium. Its the 2 weeks of events PRIOR that would be affected by the weather.

Pittsburgh and Green Bay will never get one, either.

I may love Invesco, and would love to see a Super Bowl in Denver.....but its not going to happen. Just its never going to happen in NY (despite having the city to handle it).

Yeah it's more about entertaining the guests (corporations, celebraties, pro athletes, and the fans) than it is the actual game! That's why I was a smart ass saying the old Kingdome. It was a POS and who the hell wants to walk the streets of Seattle in Feb with a 100% chance of rain everyday!!

Lonestar
02-04-2010, 12:06 PM
It is no longer a game the average fan can afford to go to. It is all about specticle not about the game itself anymore. The fans of the teams playing are limited to about 3K tickets if that for each team. About 10% on the actual capacity. The rest are for "other" teams, company/sponsors. Many of the folks that show up early for the "expirence" may not even get into the game.

A cold weather SB is not going to happen.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

Buff
02-04-2010, 12:24 PM
Football is meant to be played outdoors on grass. I hate domes and I hate the rule that the Super Bowl isn't awarded to cold weather cities.

Nomad
02-04-2010, 12:29 PM
Football is meant to be played outdoors on grass. I hate domes and I hate the rule that the Super Bowl isn't awarded to cold weather cities.

I believe most will agree with you but unfortunely the NFL views it differently!! I believe the Superbowl should be hosted in every NFL city, so once every 32 yrs Denver could host a Superbowl, but it's not about the game anymore!!

OrangeHoof
02-04-2010, 12:34 PM
I was surprised Detroit got the Super Bowl, not once (1982) but twice (2007). I assumed it was a union buy-off. The weather was cold and miserable both times in Detroit - just as everyone expected. Minnesota got one too back in the 1990s.

Without a dome, I don't think they'll ever put the Super Bowl north of Atlanta (and it was really cold in Atlanta) so there really is just a handful of legit sites - Miami, Tampa, New Orleans, Phoenix, Pasadena, San Diego with Houston, Atlanta and Dallas as outside candidates.

Watch for Houston and Dallas to get more Super Bowls than in the past because they have the facilities and the support facilities (hotels, etc.) and they are centrally located.

Dallas used to be out of the running because Texas Stadium had an open roof and the capacity was small (the Astrodome was never seriously considered because stadium capacity was too small. Super Bowl VIII was held in outdoor Rice Stadium but it was cold and dreary and Pete Rozelle swore Houston would never get another Super Bowl after that) but the new JerryWorld has everything a Super Bowl needs except balmy weather.

Dr Velcro
02-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Indy has SB in 2012

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Indy has SB in 2012

So, the teen who started the poll obviously had no CLUE that the destination had already been awarded for 2012

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Lonestar
02-04-2010, 01:59 PM
So Carol what's new. Most do not.

I had thought at the time that the nfl had this planned out like 5 years or so.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel

BroncoNut
02-04-2010, 02:12 PM

well I for one hope that you are around to see that.

RedFalcon
02-04-2010, 02:16 PM
IF the NFL wants games in good weather, than choose Texas Stadium, Lucas Oil, Ford Field... But it would be great to have a SB in cold winter weather, and Invesco would be great! Why not! Always loved cold winter games... Lots of fun and I'm sure many fans would love to see a game in the snow!

dogfish
02-04-2010, 02:39 PM
i think they should make qualcomm stadium the permanent home of the super bowl. . .

just to insure that no team ever gets homefield advantage in the big game. . . .

Lonestar
02-04-2010, 02:47 PM
i think they should make qualcomm stadium the permanent home of the super bowl. . .

just to insure that no team ever gets homefield advantage in the big game. . . .

This is indeed a CLASSIC.

Can I use it in my Sig down the road?

dogfish
02-04-2010, 02:50 PM
This is indeed a CLASSIC.

Can I use it in my Sig down the road?

it's all yours. . . . :D

JDL
02-04-2010, 07:15 PM
I would love to see teams deal with adversity... because weather is part of the game, always has been. I don't think that is the issue as much as it is they want to have the biggest party and 'event' possible.

Thing about Denver though... you could have a pretty nice even up in Aspen I would guess, no? Skiing and snow bunnies and high end resorts. What would be wrong with that? Would be more to do and more interesting than JACKSONVILLE which was a total disaster. I would say that would even be funner than what most people have here in Phoenix... few clubs and all, but ehhh. Only issue might be the altitude would be tough on some teams.

There's no stadium there, but can you imagine the circus the Super Bowl would be in Las Vegas? It would be one of the wildest extravaganzas ever.

Superchop 7
02-04-2010, 08:01 PM
The NFL should build it's own stadium in Vegas strictly for the Superbowl.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
02-04-2010, 08:05 PM

I think the idea is to expand.

Crush05
02-04-2010, 11:44 PM
We are in the lead!!!!:salute:

Magnificent Seven
02-05-2010, 12:26 AM
What about Candlestick Stadium in San Francisco? It is usually warm in late Jan and early Feb.

The Dolphins and 49ers played at the Stanford Stadium in Palo Alto, CA for Super Bowl in 1985. I think Super Bowl should return to bay area, California. It has been a long time since 1985.

dogfish
02-06-2010, 05:09 PM
this is pretty interesting. . .

Goodell sounds sold on Meadowlands Super Bowl in 2014
Posted by Josh Alper on February 6, 2010 1:41 PM ET

One topic that Mike Florio left out of his exhaustive recounting of Roger Goodell's state of the league press conference on Friday was the commissioner's discussion of the 2014 Super Bowl.

The league broke precedent by allowing the Meadowlands Stadium Company to make a bid to host the game at the new home of the Giants and Jets, a fairly good sign that they were into the idea of playing the game in a cold weather venue. They are competing against Miami, Glendale, Arizona and either Houston or Tampa for the right to host the game.

Goodell doesn't have a vote and said he's going to remain neutral, or at least as neutral as possible in light of these comments about the bid.

"I think there are real benefits to the league considering this as an option," Goodell said. "I think the idea of playing in the elements is central to the way the game of football is played. I think being able to do that and celebrate the game of football in the No. 1 market could have tremendous benefits to the league going forward. I think you will see that - I think our two co-chairmen are here, Woody Johnson and Jon Tisch - they will put together a very aggressive bid, one that will demonstrate the value of playing in New York and they will be competing against some great cities also. It will be an interesting vote, but I will stand on the sidelines and watch."

It's 26 degrees, gray and windy in New York City as I type this on Saturday afternoon with intermittent snow flurries. The big snowstorm that has buried most of the Mid-Atlantic has missed the area, by and large, but we're no stranger to big February snowstorms. That's not a vote against the idea as it would be a nice change of pace, but not everyone shares my views on the matter.

That kind of weather concerns Steelers owner and U.S. Ambassador to Ireland Dan Rooney, for one. Rooney wondered if the new stadium would have a roof and offered these thoughts when he was told that it would be an open-air venue.

"Then they are going to have some trouble," he said. "There are a lot of people who think we should be in a warm climate all the time. The weather would be something you would have to consider."

Not all owners share his concerns. Patriots owner Robert Kraft is an enthusiastic supporter of the idea, perhaps because it would grease the wheels toward a game at his own stadium, and there are surely others who aren't put off by the chance to add to the league's rich history of meaningful games played in inclement weather.

The Meadowlands bid would need 75 percent of the 32 votes to win the rights to the 2014 game. The vote will be held during the league meetings in Dallas in late May.

Lonestar
02-06-2010, 05:23 PM
this is pretty interesting. . .

Goodell sounds sold on Meadowlands Super Bowl in 2014
Posted by Josh Alper on February 6, 2010 1:41 PM ET

One topic that Mike Florio left out of his exhaustive recounting of Roger Goodell's state of the league press conference on Friday was the commissioner's discussion of the 2014 Super Bowl.

The league broke precedent by allowing the Meadowlands Stadium Company to make a bid to host the game at the new home of the Giants and Jets, a fairly good sign that they were into the idea of playing the game in a cold weather venue. They are competing against Miami, Glendale, Arizona and either Houston or Tampa for the right to host the game.

Goodell doesn't have a vote and said he's going to remain neutral, or at least as neutral as possible in light of these comments about the bid.

"I think there are real benefits to the league considering this as an option," Goodell said. "I think the idea of playing in the elements is central to the way the game of football is played. I think being able to do that and celebrate the game of football in the No. 1 market could have tremendous benefits to the league going forward. I think you will see that - I think our two co-chairmen are here, Woody Johnson and Jon Tisch - they will put together a very aggressive bid, one that will demonstrate the value of playing in New York and they will be competing against some great cities also. It will be an interesting vote, but I will stand on the sidelines and watch."

It's 26 degrees, gray and windy in New York City as I type this on Saturday afternoon with intermittent snow flurries. The big snowstorm that has buried most of the Mid-Atlantic has missed the area, by and large, but we're no stranger to big February snowstorms. That's not a vote against the idea as it would be a nice change of pace, but not everyone shares my views on the matter.

That kind of weather concerns Steelers owner and U.S. Ambassador to Ireland Dan Rooney, for one. Rooney wondered if the new stadium would have a roof and offered these thoughts when he was told that it would be an open-air venue.

"Then they are going to have some trouble," he said. "There are a lot of people who think we should be in a warm climate all the time. The weather would be something you would have to consider."

Not all owners share his concerns. Patriots owner Robert Kraft is an enthusiastic supporter of the idea, perhaps because it would grease the wheels toward a game at his own stadium, and there are surely others who aren't put off by the chance to add to the league's rich history of meaningful games played in inclement weather.

The Meadowlands bid would need 75 percent of the 32 votes to win the rights to the 2014 game. The vote will be held during the league meetings in Dallas in late May.

Gee have to wonder if it being a new stadium and it being in the NUMBER #1 market in the US might have something to do with it.

Lonestar
02-06-2010, 05:25 PM
What about Candlestick Stadium in San Francisco? It is usually warm in late Jan and early Feb.

The Dolphins and 49ers played at the Stanford Stadium in Palo Alto, CA for Super Bowl in 1985. I think Super Bowl should return to bay area, California. It has been a long time since 1985.

It is never warm in SFO. when it is not foggy it rains a lot and the humidity makes 6o degrees fell more like 40, because there is almost always a wind if it is not raining and foggy.

Candlestick is a really old stadium IIRC.

Lonestar
02-06-2010, 05:27 PM

While they have a blind eye to the "line" and actually perpetuate it with all the official injury reports. They want to stay as far away from the gambling that vegas is know for.