PDA

View Full Version : Draft experts and scouts..show us what you think

underrated29
03-06-2008, 02:32 PM
The more and more i think about it. The more I see it that we have to take Jstew or Mendenhall because of their elite ability. However, I dont really know what that is or who it compares too. So who do they compare to the most in the NFL- Success, style of play, etc etc, and if they will be that player.

Mendenhall- NFLN-said similiar style to benson, but is he a benson, is he better, is he going to be similiar to...say LJ?

JStew- NFLN says he is like LT, but I doubt if he is the next LT that he isnt the 1st back taken. SO who does he compare to???-

atwater27
03-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Jonathan Stewart reminds me of Steven Jackson.

turftoad
03-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Jonathan Stewart reminds me of Steven Jackson.

Me too.

We passed on Jackson also.

Lonestar
03-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Me too.

We passed on Jackson also.

what are the odds of mikey screwing the pooch twice?

MHCBill
03-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Stewart is Steven Jackson with a little less wiggle and a little more power.

He may not catch the ball quite as well as SJ, but SJ is an elite receiving RB. It certainly doesn't mean that JStew is not a good receiver.

I think Stewart edges out Jackson on goal-line or one yard runs. Jackson can't achieve the same type of pad level as Stewart, which is tremendously important for those 1 or 2 yard gains. Stewart has much more leg strength and power, and I think that really what sets them most apart.

Outside of that... Stewart and Jackson are very good comps.

underrated29
03-06-2008, 03:47 PM
what about mendenhall??

I like tha jackson comp, both came out of oregon too.

If we had him i think our offense would be unstoppable, seriously. Like the pats- maybe better. If we can just get any DT to help the run and get another LB or so that isnt as bad as gold. It shouldnt matter how much better we could have been because the o will put up so many points that teams will not even try to run on us.

Then we will ahve cutler, stew,marsh,scheff,kolbert all really young and all going to be around for atleast 5-6 years dominating other teams defenses. Then next year we can go all out on DT,LB,OL,S as it should be our only real weaknesses

BOSSHOGG30
03-06-2008, 03:49 PM
It is always hard to compare players, but I had to compare Mendenhall and Stewart to someone in the NFL;

Stewart reminds me of Fred Taylor/Shaun Alexander

Mendenhall reminds me of Chris Taylor/Edgerrin James

BOSSHOGG30
03-06-2008, 03:59 PM
I can see the Steven Jackson comparision,

Steven Jackson is 6'2' / 231 and Jonathan Stewart is 5'10 / 235

I know it is only a few inches difference, but Stewart could be even more effective because he can run lower to the ground and win a lot more leverage battles.... It is pretty scary if you look at his measurables.

Look at 5'7' / 212 Maurice Jones-Drew and 5'9' / 215 Travis Henry... they win a lot of battles because they are low to the ground.

underrated29
03-06-2008, 04:22 PM
So what this boils down to is, would you, if offered by the rams, take a healthy, young (as in rookie year) steven jackson for the #12 pick.

I sure as hell would and like said above stewart could be a better runner, due to his size strength low center of gravity. I think shanny has 4 players targeted in this draft in this order

ellis
stewart
mendenhall/dmac
Clady

I would love a trade down for more picks, but this is what he should do, take stewart at 12-the next or better steven jackson.

BOSSHOGG30
03-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Isn't Steven Jackson already on the Broncos?

underrated29
03-06-2008, 04:33 PM
COME APRIL 26TH HE WILl be. Or atleast his closest predasessor

mclark
03-06-2008, 07:16 PM
One of the best things about Stewart is his forward lean and his incredible balance. He almost never goes down from one tackler. And he's always leaning forward to get the extra yard. He can even move a stack of 3 tacklers forward.

But he also has the speed to hit a seam and be gone.

Boss: get us a free agent experienced left tackle and a free agent defensive tackle and then I might sign on to your Jonathan Stewart thread.

BOSSHOGG30
03-06-2008, 07:20 PM
One of the best things about Stewart is his forward lean and his incredible balance. He almost never goes down from one tackler. And he's always leaning forward to get the extra yard. He can even move a stack of 3 tacklers forward.

But he also has the speed to hit a seam and be gone.

Boss: get us a free agent experienced left tackle and a free agent defensive tackle and then I might sign on to your Jonathan Stewart thread.

I'm trying man... I have it in my Sig... If they would only read.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Is this really ANOTHER Mendenhall/Stewart thread? REALLY??

lex
03-06-2008, 11:53 PM
The more and more i think about it. The more I see it that we have to take Jstew or Mendenhall because of their elite ability. However, I dont really know what that is or who it compares too. So who do they compare to the most in the NFL- Success, style of play, etc etc, and if they will be that player.

Mendenhall- NFLN-said similiar style to benson, but is he a benson, is he better, is he going to be similiar to...say LJ?

JStew- NFLN says he is like LT, but I doubt if he is the next LT that he isnt the 1st back taken. SO who does he compare to???-

Jon Stewart is more like Jamal Lewis
Mendenhall is more like Shawn Alexander or Ahman Green

lex
03-06-2008, 11:56 PM
So what this boils down to is, would you, if offered by the rams, take a healthy, young (as in rookie year) steven jackson for the #12 pick.

I sure as hell would and like said above stewart could be a better runner, due to his size strength low center of gravity. I think shanny has 4 players targeted in this draft in this order

ellis
stewart
mendenhall/dmac
Clady

I would love a trade down for more picks, but this is what he should do, take stewart at 12-the next or better steven jackson.

Why do you think Shanahan would have Stewart over Mendenhall when most legitimate sources have Mendenhall over Stewart. Or do you think Shanahan is swayed by the knuckleheads around here that are embracing Stewart?

atwater27
03-07-2008, 11:38 AM
So you are a knucklehead if you favor one player over another?

lex
03-07-2008, 11:46 AM
So you are a knucklehead if you favor one player over another?

Im sure to Shanahan, we're all knuckleheads.

underrated29
03-07-2008, 11:52 AM
alright so we got that out of the way, but what about other guys like:

ellis-
dorsey-
ken phillips-
clady-
laws-

Who do these guys compare to in the nfl.

I know they are all 1st rd picks, but that doesnt nessacerrily mean that they are as good as most of the 1st rdrs taken at those positions.

turftoad
03-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Why do you think Shanahan would have Stewart over Mendenhall when most legitimate sources have Mendenhall over Stewart. Or do you think Shanahan is swayed by the knuckleheads around here that are embracing Stewart?

I like Mendenhall better. That must mean I'm not a knucklehead. :D

lex
03-07-2008, 01:08 PM
I like Mendenhall better. That must mean I'm not a knucklehead. :D

No, it means you dont read very well. Like I said at the outset, a lot of places, including Mayock who is considered to be the foremost draft analyst, have Mendenhall ahead of Stewart. The movement around here to rank Stewart ahead of Mendenhall seems to be a product of Broncosforums zeitgeist. Whether or not Shanahan listens to acknowledged draft experts, is questionable but whats even more questionable is the idea that the FO is somehow influence by yahoos on the internet. If youll look at the post I was responding to he was presenting it like its a widely held belief that the prevaling opinion here is so in Dove Valley.

It really helps to read actual posts up to and including the posts that one is replying to. It often provides context or texture that doesnt exist if you disaggregate components from their original usage.

Not only that but knucklehead isnt even that derogatory.

turftoad
03-07-2008, 01:22 PM
No, it means you dont read very well. Like I said at the outset, a lot of places, including Mayock who is considered to be the foremost draft analyst, have Mendenhall ahead of Stewart. The movement around here to rank Stewart ahead of Mendenhall seems to be a product of Broncosforums zeitgeist. Whether or not Shanahan listens to acknowledged draft experts, is questionable but whats even more questionable is the idea that the FO is somehow influence by yahoos on the internet. If youll look at the post I was responding to he was presenting it like its a widely held belief that the prevaling opinion here is so in Dove Valley.

It really helps to read actual posts up to and including the posts that one is replying to. It often provides context or texture that doesnt exist if you disaggregate components from their original usage.

It's evident you didn't read my post. I agree with the experts and do like Mendenhall better. I did read the posts.
Are you the post police?

Lonestar
03-07-2008, 02:33 PM

I for one would have to disagree with that comment.. would you prefer to be called..

a stupid person; these words are used to express a low opinion of someone's intelligence

or

a stupid, bumbling, inept person.

It sounds like a clear attack on someone or insult which is indeed a violation of the COC..

Please refrain from using it in the future..

Lonestar
03-07-2008, 02:35 PM
It's evident you didn't read my post. I agree with the experts and do like Mendenhall better. I did read the posts.
Are you the post police?

I am, see post above ..

This is not directed at YOU.. Just wanted everyone else to be clear on terminology..

lex
03-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Are you the post police?

Fair enough. Sorry. Thought you were commenting on something else.