PDA

View Full Version : Nolan's Departure is a Win/Win

Denver Native (Carol)
02-02-2010, 11:50 PM
I don't know if this has been posted yet, but it is a good article.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/DMN-Nolans-departure-is-a-winwin.htmlseveral

Why would Denver let defensive coordinator Mike Nolan leave?

On the surface, this mutually agreed departure looks a little fishy, but in reality, it was best for both parties. Nolan wanted an opportunity to secure employment for himself in case there was a work stoppage, and the Broncos wanted to make sure they had coaches who wanted to be on staff. Sometimes change is good for both sides. Naysayers might look at Nolan’s departure to the Dolphins as a slap in head coach Josh McDaniels’ face, but I don’t.

McDaniels is a head coach, not just a play caller, which is why I think he’s going to win big in Denver. Most Broncos fans are skeptical about the strategy he employs, but for me, McDaniels clearly knows where he’s doing and knows the best course of action to take along the way. He must transform the Broncos into his team, and in spite of the initial progress they showed last season, it’s going to take time. It’s going to take him being involved in all three phases of the game to get them to behave and play the way he envisions. Losing Nolan allows McDaniels to become more involved with the whole team and lets Nolan obtain the security he wants. I really believe this is a win/win for both.

A similar situation occurred in Oakland when Jon Gruden was head coach and Willie Shaw was his defensive coordinator. Gruden needed to be the head coach in all three phases of the game, but Shaw’s dominating personality made it difficult for him to be involved on defense. So the change was mutually best for both parties. Denver fans need to be patient with McDaniels — he showed progress in his first year, and next year he’ll be even better. As the Broncos continue to add talent to their roster, they’ll become factors in the AFC West.

Northman
02-03-2010, 12:37 AM
Shanahan was a HC too but he eventually faded. Although i like Gruden he basically picked up a team built by Dungy and did nothing since then and thus was fired. Time will tell but it is sad that Denver couldnt give Nolan the security he was looking for which is very disappointing. But, if McDaniels can make the playoffs next year than it was the right move. If not, might be time to look elsewhere.

WARHORSE
02-03-2010, 12:51 AM
I believe the Houston Texans are going to be blessed for extending Kubiak.

Theyre extending him because hes a good coach and they know that keeping the same system in place is a boon to the team.

I agree with the article.

Josh didnt come in specializing in STs.

Nor offense.

Nor defense.

Our special teams made leaps and bounds this year, and its an easy thing to overlook once a good STs unit is in place.

There were games where the STs coverage unit for KOffs were dropping guys at the 12 yard line.

When was the last time we saw that under Shanny?

Josh came in saying: ALL THREE PHASES OF the GAME.

The real good coaches in this league have a drive that spurns their social skills sometimes. Its a 'my way or the highway' type of mentality.

Parcells
J. Johnson
Lombardi
Belichick
Knoll
Walsh
Madden
Shanahan

And that type of drive will remove anyone not on board with the program.

In the end, Josh is doing the right things. He evaluates his own performance in the past year. Im sure it has to do with the assistant coaches, Bowlen, Ellis, Xman, and the captains.

I believe hes going to be great.

But he could end up being Gruden if he doesnt be careful. :coffee:

pnbronco
02-03-2010, 01:43 AM
Great post War and thanks Carol a nice read.

I'm not so worried if Coach becomes Gruden as I'm worried if we become the Browns...;)

There is a program on Altitude called Altitude Sports Summit: Pro Football Edition with Scott Hastings, Victor Rogers, Mark Jackson, and Dave Logan. They were talking about Nolan leaving. Victor Rogers was the only one to question Nolan leaving, and he did clarify it from a "fans perspective". He also said that IHO Bronco fans were a little spoiled because he came from Detroit. He said he didn't know if Bronco fans could handle what Detroit fans have had to go through.

Both Mark and Dave said they believed that a Coach has to be able to work with a staff of their choosing. They have the right to pick who ever they want on it. Mark even went to say that it was only McD's first year and he's learning what does and doesn't work, or something like that. He said that Shanny has been doing this a long time so he will bring in his guys to begin with.

I was also listening to Sandy C. on "The Fan" and he was talking about Floyd Little and how rough those early years were for the team and it's fans. I think there was only one year that the team was above .500, but Little always gave it 110% as well as the fans did back then. So to all you early fans, thank you.....:salute:

WARHORSE
02-03-2010, 03:48 AM
Great post War and thanks Carol a nice read.

I'm not so worried if Coach becomes Gruden as I'm worried if we become the Browns...;)

There is a program on Altitude called Altitude Sports Summit: Pro Football Edition with Scott Hastings, Victor Rogers, Mark Jackson, and Dave Logan. They were talking about Nolan leaving. Victor Rogers was the only one to question Nolan leaving, and he did clarify it from a "fans perspective". He also said that IHO Bronco fans were a little spoiled because he came from Detroit. He said he didn't know if Bronco fans could handle what Detroit fans have had to go through.

Both Mark and Dave said they believed that a Coach has to be able to work with a staff of their choosing. They have the right to pick who ever they want on it. Mark even went to say that it was only McD's first year and he's learning what does and doesn't work, or something like that. He said that Shanny has been doing this a long time so he will bring in his guys to begin with.

I was also listening to Sandy C. on "The Fan" and he was talking about Floyd Little and how rough those early years were for the team and it's fans. I think there only one year that the team was above .500, but Little always gave it 110% as well as the fans did back then. So to all you early fans, thank you.....:salute:

Tnx Pen.....

Another view of the Nolan plank walking decision:

"No doubt, Nolan's departure enlarged McDaniels' reputation as someone who's difficult to work for. But at the Pro Bowl and Super Bowl events the past week or so, I talked to several writers who covered Nolan at various points in his career. They all described him as a good man, but a micromanaging control freak. McDaniels is also a good man who also appears to be a micromanaging control freak. The difference is, McDaniels, as the head coach, is the only guy who has the right.
So it wasn't going to work. Nolan is now the Dolphins' defensive coordinator. Miami is his seventh team since he became a defensive coordinator for the first time in 1993. In other words, McDaniels isn't the first guy who didn't want to work with Nolan anymore. I don't mean to criticize Nolan, who is an outstanding person, and a good coach. But to put 100 percent blame for his latest breakup on McDaniels is ridiculous."

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14314460#ixzz0eSdrUnRa

Dirk
02-03-2010, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the reads guys.

I am one of the ones who have a wait and see mentality. Also a thought process of Coach McD knows more than I do.

I will root for them all season long, no matter who is coaching or playing. As do everyone here at the boards. Some just like to bitch more than others. :D

claymore
02-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Tnx Pen.....

Another view of the Nolan plank walking decision:

"No doubt, Nolan's departure enlarged McDaniels' reputation as someone who's difficult to work for. But at the Pro Bowl and Super Bowl events the past week or so, I talked to several writers who covered Nolan at various points in his career. They all described him as a good man, but a micromanaging control freak. McDaniels is also a good man who also appears to be a micromanaging control freak. The difference is, McDaniels, as the head coach, is the only guy who has the right.
So it wasn't going to work. Nolan is now the Dolphins' defensive coordinator. Miami is his seventh team since he became a defensive coordinator for the first time in 1993. In other words, McDaniels isn't the first guy who didn't want to work with Nolan anymore. I don't mean to criticize Nolan, who is an outstanding person, and a good coach. But to put 100 percent blame for his latest breakup on McDaniels is ridiculous."

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14314460#ixzz0eSdrUnRa

I think a good HC has to be able to delegate. Especially if Offense is the supposed specialty of said HC.

JMCD has surrounded himself with a staff of yes men. He has proven that disagreement means dismissal or trade.

There isnt enough time in the day to do everything. I just dont see how that is a formula for success.

Nomad
02-03-2010, 08:31 AM
Gruden did a good job in Oakland....glad he left!!

You're right North, Gruden and Caldwell are beneficiaries of what Tony Dungy left them!! Caldwell also has Manning so :coffee:

I will judge McD off this draft/FA and next season unless this stupid CBA gets in the way then it'll be hard to judge! I know it takes time but we should see improvements next season especially down the stretch. Many first and second year HC's have done it and if McD is as good as many think he is then we should see improvements this season. I'll remain positive he will succeed!!

claymore
02-03-2010, 08:41 AM
Both Grudens teams went to the SB. The "Dungy Team" That won had a huge turnover of FA's that Gruden installed. I think the turnover was around 30-40%. The important pieces were still there. But Dungy proved he couldnt win with those guys.

Dungy only won 1 SB with Manning. That is sad IMO. Good coach, great talent evaluater.

Nomad
02-03-2010, 08:46 AM
Both Grudens teams went to the SB. The "Dungy Team" That won had a huge turnover of FA's that Gruden installed. I think the turnover was around 30-40%. The important pieces were still there. But Dungy proved he couldnt win with those guys.

Dungy only won 1 SB with Manning. That is sad IMO. Good coach, great talent evaluater.

So you'd welcome Gruden to Dove Valley with open arms!!:D

claymore
02-03-2010, 08:48 AM

In a heart beat. To bad it wasnt last year. :laugh:

Nomad
02-03-2010, 08:50 AM
In a heart beat. To bad it wasnt last year. :laugh:

You know that wouldn't be a bad story plot for Gruden to come back to the AFC West and get back at Al Davis. Hmmm! I've heard that story before!!

So when are you starting your petition for Gruden as the next HC of the Denver BRONCOS!!

claymore
02-03-2010, 08:51 AM
You know that wouldn't be a bad story plot for Gruden to come back to the AFC West and get back at Al Davis. Hmmm! I've heard that story before!!

So when are you starting your petition for Gruden as the next HC of the Denver BRONCOS!!

Lasts March!

Dreadnought
02-03-2010, 09:32 AM

I would be doing the "Happy Dance" as I write this

rationalfan
02-03-2010, 12:28 PM
what's with all the gruden love? his time in tampa mirrored shanahan's time in denver during the past five years - very mediocre teams that were ruined by the idea a quick fix can get you to the super bowl.

there's a certain ego that develops from winning the super bowl, the notion that everything a coach does is right because their ideas have worked in the past. yet, so often it appears these coaches don't try to adapt to the changes in the game. they simply try to use what worked in the past, even if it fails in the present.

i'd much rather have a younger, hungrier coach than an old vet with super bowl rings. as i've posted before, no super bowl-winning coach has won the big game with his next team.

as for the dungy love, don't forget that one part of his brilliance was realizing his team was better off with a real GM.

Cugel
02-03-2010, 12:30 PM
All this talk about "progress" would make a lot more sense if the Broncos started out the season going 2-8 and THEN won their last 6 games -- showing some signs of life.

Instead they did what they usually do, start out well and then fall apart the last half of the season when the games count the most.

I don't know why fans emphasize the first six games and forget the last 10! That's NOT "progress" when you go 2-8 and lose perfectly winnable games to bottom feeder teams at home like the Raiders and Chiefs to get shut out of the playoffs again for the 4th year in a row!

All this "things will be better when he has time to install his system" crap is just that! How do we know? EVERY new head coach who comes into a town has the same thing said about him: "give him time." Every FAILURE had that said about him at some time.

Well, I go by evidence not "hope" or "faith" and so far there's ZERO evidence this team is headed in the right direction. A 6 game winning streak is nice -- unless the team then goes out and loses 4 in a row on it's way to finishing the season 2-8.

If they do that, the logical conclusion is that the team quit on the coach and fell apart. They lost focus and ended up losing winnable games.

That's NOT a sign things will be better next season! That's the sign of a lousy team that will struggle for years to come.

Will the Broncos struggle for years? Who knows? But there's no evidence that they will suddenly be better next season so it certainly looks like it so far.

CoachChaz
02-03-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm so glad my life isnt filled with as much negativity as some people.

The Glue Factory
02-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Shanahan was a HC too but he eventually faded. Although i like Gruden he basically picked up a team built by Dungy and did nothing since then and thus was fired.

Nevermind that Gruden played against the Raiders team he had built when TB won the SB that year.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-03-2010, 05:47 PM
what's with all the gruden love? his time in tampa mirrored shanahan's time in denver during the past five years - very mediocre teams that were ruined by the idea a quick fix can get you to the super bowl.

there's a certain ego that develops from winning the super bowl, the notion that everything a coach does is right because their ideas have worked in the past. yet, so often it appears these coaches don't try to adapt to the changes in the game. they simply try to use what worked in the past, even if it fails in the present.

i'd much rather have a younger, hungrier coach than an old vet with super bowl rings. as i've posted before, no super bowl-winning coach has won the big game with his next team.

as for the dungy love, don't forget that one part of his brilliance was realizing his team was better off with a real GM.

Actually, I look at Gruden's time in Tampa and see a team that was dominant for a few years but the foundation was old. It's really hard to replace guys like Sapp, Lynch, Brooks, etc all on the defensive side of the ball, all within about 3 years. The also lost several offensive players that although they weren't superstars, did play a factor in their superbowl wins.

The problem is that owners and fans get anxious when they are used to winning (like right after a superbowl win) and then they have to rebuild or reload a little. Shanahan lost his HOF QB and his 2000 yd RB. Gruden lost his defensive leaders. Both coaches were let go because they didn't right the ship fast enough. Where has that led Tampa Bay? To the basement. Where will it lead Denver? That's yet to be seen. Do you really think that Tampa Bay would've been 2-14 if Gruden was still the coach? Playoffs? Probably not, but definitely not 2-14.

Woe will be the day in Indianapolis when Peyton Manning retires. The Colts will be right back at the bottom overnight. The NFL is cyclic like that but I'd still rather have a coach with a proven record then just a headstrong, bright-eyed kid who is getting on-the-job training at the expense of my team's future.

The Glue Factory
02-03-2010, 05:54 PM
JMCD has surrounded himself with a staff of yes men. He has proven that disagreement means dismissal or trade.

And just how do you know all of this? Got a an inside informant in Dove Valley, or just a bug in McD's office? I haven't read anything that makes a stronger conclusion for McD hiring yes men than a lot of other conclusions that can be drawn. You've jumped to a couple of conclusions that are hard to support.

So where's all the Bronco rage coming from Clay?

atwater27
02-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Denver in the Super Bowl next season. I called it first. McD is making all the right moves. Nolan was dead weight. Only one micromanager allowed on this squad, and young Josh is going to do the Micro-Mamba all the way to the big dance next year.