PDA

View Full Version : Selvin Young A Quick Study

TXBRONC
09-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Picked this up from Pro Football Weekly's "The Way We Hear It" and thought I would pass it along.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+West/Denver/WWHI/2007/wwhi090707.htm

Broncos alter RB depth chart, promote rookie Young

Sept. 7, 2007

In a surprising move, the Broncos’ backfield was reshuffled right before the start of the season, as Mike Bell and Cecil Sapp were shifted to fullback, and undrafted rookie Selvin Young was elevated to the lead backup behind starting RB Travis Henry. The move, according to insiders, is viewed as another example of Mike Shanahan’s unwavering belief in his system and the fact that he sees a lot of his backs as interchangeable. Bell was Denver’s second-leading rusher last season with 677 yards, but word out of Denver is that Young’s speed, hard running and the ease with which he adapted to the Broncos’ system were keys to him earning a spot. Young, who played collegiately at Texas, has not been intimidated whatsoever, but he was aided by the injuries to Henry and Bell in the preseason. Without those two being sidelined, it’s doubtful he would have had the necessary playing time to impress the coaches enough to stick on the roster.

SR
09-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Good stuff. I'm looking forward to him getting a carry or ten Sunday.

Watchthemiddle
09-07-2007, 09:07 PM
Anyone out there know how fast Young is?

:confused:

TXBRONC
09-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Anyone out there know how fast Young is?

:confused:

Faster than you or me. :laugh:

Watchthemiddle
09-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Faster than you or me. :laugh:

Speak for yourself!! :eviltongue:

Seriously, there has to be somone around here that can find it. Dream, Top, anyone???

TXBRONC
09-07-2007, 09:35 PM
Speak for yourself!! :eviltongue:

Seriously, there has to be somone around here that can find it. Dream, Top, anyone???

Here you go.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=8838

40 Time was 4.57 Low: 4.52 High: 4.65

Watchthemiddle
09-07-2007, 09:45 PM
Here you go.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=8838

40 Time was 4.57 Low: 4.52 High: 4.65

Hmmm...sounds like Terrell Davis speed. Faster on the field and in pads then when he was timed.

I want to see him break one. Nothing beats a long run for a TD.

TXBRONC
09-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Hmmm...sounds like Terrell Davis speed. Faster on the field and in pads then when he was timed.

I totally agree. :beer:

SBboundBRONCOS
09-07-2007, 10:13 PM

yeah no kidding an in the season opener it would be even better :rockon:

but that really shows your speed, if you can get out of the way and then out run every body for a TD youve got some wheels, most people get caught from behind at some point

rcsodak
09-07-2007, 10:28 PM

but that really shows your speed, if you can get out of the way and then out run every body for a TD youve got some wheels, most people get caught from behind at some point

I don't see SY outrunning too many db's.....

....and I don't remember him every breaking any in college, for that matter. He was always more of the 'pounder' type, with a few 8-10 yarders mixed in.

Let's not start painting him into a corner..... ;)

TXBRONC
09-07-2007, 10:28 PM

Natural speed great, but football speed is what is most important in my opinion.

SBboundBRONCOS
09-07-2007, 10:35 PM
no im not saying he is but im just saying in general that thats when you know you have somebody fast

im still not sold on Young, but oh well hes here now, so im routing for him and everybody seems to think he is our fastest Rb

TXBRONC
09-07-2007, 10:39 PM
no im not saying he is but im just saying in general that thats when you know you have somebody fast

im still not sold on Young, but oh well hes here now, so im routing for him and everybody seems to think he is our fastest Rb

I was understanding that you meant in general.

SBboundBRONCOS
09-07-2007, 11:15 PM
I was understanding that you meant in general.

yeah sorry i thought i quoted RC

B~ly~n~ch~amp
09-07-2007, 11:20 PM
I dropped Mike and picked up Selvin on both of my fantasy teams :D

Hopefully he has a GREAT year as Henry's backup and let's hope he stays just that....a BACKUP....

If Henry stays healthy, he should easily get 1500+ :salute:

TXBRONC
09-07-2007, 11:23 PM
yeah sorry i thought i quoted RC

Ah not a big deal I made an assumption and I was wrong.

TatumInDetroit
09-08-2007, 12:13 AM
Selvin should be like Mike Bell. Having three great backs is unheard of....outside of Denver.

broncosfanscott
09-08-2007, 01:27 AM
Natural speed great, but football speed is what is most important in my opinion.

Game speed.......it's what matters most.

SBboundBRONCOS
09-08-2007, 08:08 AM
Game speed.......it's what matters most.

its the only speed that matters

how many people score toucdowns running the 40 in shorst and a t shirt

Skinny
09-08-2007, 09:26 AM
The thing that stood out to me when watching him was his quick feet. He does'nt step ahead of his center of gravity (balance), giving him that ability to make his cuts on a dime.

Rod Smith,Ed McCaffrey, and Shannon Sharpe had alot to do with TD breaking long runs with marginal speed (blocking down feild).

As with TD,Selvin's 4.6ish speed and his ability to break long runs will also depend heavily on JWalk, BMarsh, DGraham, etc . . ., blocking guys down feild.

broncosfanscott
09-08-2007, 09:31 PM

Yeah, you can't get a good idea about a player until you put him in pads with opposing players wanting to clobber him.

TXBRONC
09-08-2007, 09:45 PM

None that I can recall.

TatumInDetroit
09-08-2007, 11:29 PM
None that I can recall.

There was that one guy.

TXBRONC
09-08-2007, 11:31 PM
There was that one guy.

Are you talking about that comercial for flag football?

TatumInDetroit
09-09-2007, 08:21 AM
Are you talking about that comercial for flag football?

MAYBE......