PDA

View Full Version : Uncapped Year "Virtually a Certain" According to Goodell

WARHORSE
02-01-2010, 07:18 AM
Which is good news for Denver.......we have RFAs and not UFAs.......

Goodell says uncapped year is "virtually certain"

Posted by Mike Florio on February 1, 2010 1:09 AM ET
With a March 5 deadline for getting a new labor agreement negotiated in order to avoid a season without a salary cap, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell acknowledged on Sunday night the reality that the 17-year-old device for preventing the big market/small market disparity that has ruined baseball will be going away, at least for a year.

Goodell told NFL Network's Rich Eisen that a year without a salary cap is "virtually certain."

"The real core message here is that we all want to get a fair agreement, for the players, for the owners, to allow the game to continue to grow," Goodell said. "There are conversations going on, that's a positive step. But we're all frustrated there's not more progress."

There seems to be little frustration regarding the disappearance of the spending limit, and the corresponding evaporation of the spending minimum. Other limitations will apply in order to prevent a Red Sox-Yankees domination of the player-acquisition market, such as six years of service to qualify for free agency and the "final eight plan," which will limit the ability of the teams appearing in the divisional round to sign unrestricted free agents.

But there seems to be a consensus that the long-term interests of the league are best served by the presence of a salary cap. In years past, the late Gene Upshaw vowed that, if the cap went away, it would never return. This time around, the union has not suggested a desire to operate without a cap -- since to do so would mean the permanent absence of the spending floor.

And given that a spread of nearly $20 million exists between the minimum and the maximum, one prudent course of action for the union would be to tighten the gap, pushing the floor closer to the ceiling. Such a move would pump more money into the system, for the benefit of all players.

Still, with no urgency to get a deal done before March 2010, the eleventh hour has now been shifted to early 2011. Basically, then, we'll see more preening and posturing until the moment that the two sides get serious about doing a deal -- and that moment is still at least 12 months away.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Nomad
02-01-2010, 08:56 AM
What does this mean??? NFL will turn out to be like MLB (not worth a ****) and not worth watching because only a few teams will buy all the good players!!!

claymore
02-01-2010, 10:30 AM
What does this mean??? NFL will turn out to be like MLB (not worth a ****) and not worth watching because only a few teams will buy all the good players!!!

Final 8 plan takes care of that. I like no salary cap because there is no floor. Id like these guys to make alot less, and hopefully we as fans see the fruits of them getting less than 60% of the revenue.

Q. What is the Final Eight Plan?
A. During the Final League Year, the eight clubs that make the Divisional Playoffs in the previous season (NFC: Arizona, Dallas, Minnesota, New Orleans; AFC: Baltimore, Indianapolis, N.Y. Jets, San Diego) have additional restrictions that limit their ability to sign unrestricted free agents from other clubs. In general, the four clubs participating in the championship games are limited in the number of free agents that they may sign; the limit is determined by the number of their own free agents signing with other clubs. They cannot sign any UFAs unless one of theirs is signed by another team.

For the four clubs that lost in the Divisional Playoffs, in addition to having the ability to sign free agents based on the number of their own free agents signing with other clubs, they may also sign players based on specific financial parameters. Those four only will be permitted to sign one unrestricted free agent for $5.5 million (estimated) or more in year one of the contract, plus the number of their UFAs who sign with another team. They also can sign any unrestricted free agents for less than $3.7 (estimated) million in year one of the contract with limitations on the per year increases.

GEM
02-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Look how long it has taken Hockey to recover from it's lockout. This is ****** all the way around. :yardog:

claymore
02-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Look how long it has taken Hockey to recover from it's lockout. This is ****** all the way around. :yardog:

As a true fan of the game, Id rather see a lockout then have it continue into this salary abiss.

Biz1
02-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Bronco fans should be overjoyed at this news, now Dumerville and Marshall are RFA's.

GEM
02-01-2010, 11:03 AM
As a true fan of the game, Id rather see a lockout then have it continue into this salary abiss.

You're right, but damn it we're like 3 weeks removed from Broncos season and I'm already having withdrawals. I dunno what the hell I'll do in a lockout situation. :mad:

claymore
02-01-2010, 11:05 AM
You're right, but damn it we're like 3 weeks removed from Broncos season and I'm already having withdrawals. I dunno what the hell I'll do in a lockout situation. :mad:

It couldnt of happened at a better time (for me). Ive never been happy to go into the offseason. This year it was a relief.

Nomad
02-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Final 8 plan takes care of that. I like no salary cap because there is no floor. Id like these guys to make alot less, and hopefully we as fans see the fruits of them getting less than 60% of the revenue.

I've never been one to care about this part of the NFL, but like I said MLB went on strike and didn't come out any better (actually worse imo) so I don't want the NFL to turn out like this! I don't care what they do as long as it's not this.

claymore
02-01-2010, 11:16 AM
I've never been one to care about this part of the NFL, but like I said MLB went on strike and didn't come out any better (actually worse imo) so I don't want the NFL to turn out like this! I don't care what they do as long as it's not this.

I see your point. I dont see a lockout happening. If it does, I hope they go with scrub players.

Id rather watch scrub players than million dollar prima donnas.

T.K.O.
02-01-2010, 01:56 PM
then keanu reeves could take over in cleveland !

OrangeHoof
02-01-2010, 02:08 PM
The Final 8 plan explains why the Patriots tanked in the first round. They probably told Brady to throw some picks early on.

silkamilkamonico
02-01-2010, 02:11 PM
With an uncapped year, a lockout is almost a sure thing, and most likely will happen.

You're not exactly seeing parity in the NFL these days anyways. What, 10 playoff games, and only 3 were exciting to watch?

The only thing that sucks without a salaray cap is Denver is a mid level market, and wouldn't compete with teams like Dallas, Chicago, Washington, or any of the big market teams for money.

The big markets in the AFC that we would need to be concerned about, Pittsburgh, Houston, NYJets, New England, and Miami.

On second thought, please let there be a slaray cap.

titan
02-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Heard an interview with McDaniels this morning on vic and gary's show. He didn't say much when asked about Brandon Marshall's pro bowl comments, just said that he was proud of Brandon and that they've moved on from the season ending incident. When asked about the future of Marshall in Denver McD said Marshall's future and other players depends on what type of collective bargaining agreement the team is working under.

I still say it's not a done deal Marshall is out of Denver - there's a decent chance McD will keep him if it fits with the team's salary structure.

Dean
02-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Given the 'skins disaffection for draft picks and money to spend, it looks like a big year for them.

arapaho2
02-01-2010, 06:08 PM
I see your point. I dont see a lockout happening. If it does, I hope they go with scrub players.

Id rather watch scrub players than million dollar prima donnas.

i remeber the last scrub teams...it sucked big time..battle of the scrubs is no fun at all

Ravage!!!
02-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Not true.. I saw the movie "the Replacements!"

CrazyHorse
02-02-2010, 12:29 AM
Given the 'skins disaffection for draft picks and money to spend, it looks like a big year for them.

Snyder and Shanahan can go crazy.

claymore
02-02-2010, 07:26 AM
i remeber the last scrub teams...it sucked big time..battle of the scrubs is no fun at allIt cant be any worse than watching the worst meltdown in Broncos history.

Lonestar
02-02-2010, 08:26 AM
Wow comparing last years team with scrubs Y'all have hit a new low.
Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel
last la st yy

claymore
02-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Wow comparing last years team with scrubs Y'all have hit a new low.
Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel
last la st yy

So you would rather watch last years meltdown more than a team of low paid rerplacements?

UnderArmour
02-02-2010, 09:57 AM

As a true fan, there had better be football played or I'm going to be pissed. I will personally go out and protest at the nearest stadium or league office. There will be riots if there is no football. Congress might even have to intervene in this, football is important to our country. If there is a lock out, I'm blaming the owners not the players. I don't care how it gets done, a deal needs to get done. I want my football in 2011 all else be damned, I don't care what it takes or how much money is lost.

I expect my football dammit.

Lonestar
02-02-2010, 11:55 AM
So you would rather watch last years meltdown more than a team of low paid rerplacements?

I know your either not serious or baiting with this response.

Either a bronco fan or not. IMHO.

I'd rather have the players and coaches Pat has hired than a group of never will be's.

You are hating Josh so much you can't see the forest for the trees.

You expected Josh to do something more in one year that you allowed mike to do for almost a decade.

Mike did the same thing started fast and melted down late in the year.

We allowed 3 or 4 RBs to set club records for yards and IIRC two for sinlge game NFL records. How can you justify that? Yet only hate Josh for replacing someone else that had meltdowns year after year.

The hate of some of Y'all just amazes me.

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone provided by Alltel.

claymore
02-02-2010, 12:10 PM
I know your either not serious or baiting with this response.

Either a bronco fan or not. IMHO.

I'd rather have the players and coaches Pat has hired than a group of never will be's.

You are hating Josh so much you can't see the forest for the trees.

You expected Josh to do something more in one year that you allowed mike to do for almost a decade.

Mike did the same thing started fast and melted down late in the year.

We allowed 3 or 4 RBs to set club records for yards and IIRC two for sinlge game NFL records. How can you justify that? Yet only hate Josh for replacing someone else that had meltdowns year after year.

The hate of some of Y'all just amazes me.

This from a guy who bashes a first term president on a daily basis. I guees your not seeing the forest thru the trees.

Mike never had the meltdown your boy McDaniels had. Only 2 other coaches in NFL history can share that turd sandwhich.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Guess it's not 8-8 seasons which matter, but how you got to 8-8:confused:

I don't know - when it's all said and done - 8-8 IS JUST THAT 8-8

claymore
02-02-2010, 12:22 PM

That is not seeing the forest thru the trees...

Denver Native (Carol)
02-02-2010, 12:24 PM
That is not seeing the forest thru the trees...

I don't know about that - neither 8-8 season got us in the playoffs - is that not what it is all about?

CoachChaz
02-02-2010, 12:29 PM

Unless that's the record McDaniels turns in after 1 year...then it's unexcusable

claymore
02-02-2010, 12:30 PM
I don't know about that - neither 8-8 season got us in the playoffs - is that not what it is all about?

Yes, but when you dont make it, you have to look back and wonder how you didnt get there.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Yes, but when you dont make it, you have to look back and wonder how you didnt get there.

I totally agree - and that should be done always - not just NOW

claymore
02-02-2010, 12:35 PM
I totally agree - and that should be done always - not just NOW

OK. I am assuming you dont think Shanahan did that? If so thats fair.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-02-2010, 12:38 PM
OK. I am assuming you dont think Shanahan did that? If so thats fair.

I was not talking about the coaches, but now that you brought it up - I heard Coach McD blame many things on himself, when the season ended; however, I may be mistaken, but I don't remember Shanahan taking any blame, or much of the blame, when things went south.

Traveler
02-02-2010, 12:41 PM
Snyder and Shanahan can go crazy.

Not likely IMO. Shanahan has always been known to hoard draft picks.

claymore
02-02-2010, 12:42 PM
I was not talking about the coaches, but now that you brought it up - I heard Coach McD blame many things on himself, when the season ended; however, I may be mistaken, but I don't remember Shanahan taking any blame, or much of the blame, when things went south.

I wouldnt remember that from the post season pressers with Shanahan. As for McD taking the blame, I dont put much into it. I say that because it IS his fault. He is the HC and got mad props for the 6-0 start, as well as the hate for the 2-8 finish.

No more my bads, my fault. I want to see good moves, smart trades and thought out situations. No more media snafu's, no more leaked trade deals, no more personality conflicts. etc... I want a methodical coach. Not an emotional wreck.

Lonestar
02-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Is it just me or is anyone else tired of everythread turned into an I hate anything not mike or jay debate.

BTW I rarely post in P/R and when I do 90% of them are only articles that are cut and pasted for others to comment on.

GEM
02-02-2010, 12:43 PM
This from a guy who bashes a first term president on a daily basis. I guees your not seeing the forest thru the trees.

Mike never had the meltdown your boy McDaniels had. Only 2 other coaches in NFL history can share that turd sandwhich.

:laugh: Comparing being a football head coach to being President of the United States. :laugh: Now THAT'S funny!

Mike had the biggest collapse one year previous. ONE GAME. That was all it took, one win. And he had 14 years under his belt, not 10 months.

claymore
02-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Is it just me or is anyone else tired of everythread turned into an I hate anything not mike or jay debate.

BTW I rarely post in P/R and when I do 90% of them are only articles that are cut and pasted for others to comment on.

Im pretty sure you brought it up. Again.

:laugh: Comparing being a football head coach to being President of the United States. :laugh: Now THAT'S funny!

Mike had the biggest collapse one year previous. ONE GAME. That was all it took, one win. And he had 14 years under his belt, not 10 months.

Mikes defense was his fault. And it was his undoing. But the meltdown wasnt near as bad as last years.

GEM
02-02-2010, 01:09 PM
Im pretty sure you brought it up. Again.

Mikes defense was his fault. And it was his undoing. But the meltdown wasnt near as bad as last years.

Clay...we're rebuilding and we have been for a few years now. But we were told that nope, no rebuilding here we're a top tier team. Top tier teams don't lose their last 3 games when just 1 win gets you in the playoff. Top tier teams don't get their asses handed to them mightily by their division rival year in and year out.

We expected a tough season last year. I've known ya since before the Shanny firing, and you weren't this negative and harsh on Shanahan who did no better than McD the last 3 years. How fair is that?

Denver Native (Carol)
02-02-2010, 01:13 PM

It's all how you view it - I believe that the meltdown in 2008 was as bad as the meltdown last year. 2008 - having a 3 game lead going into the last 3 games, and ending up not making the playoffs, with an easier schedule than what the Broncos had last year.

CoachChaz
02-02-2010, 01:18 PM
It's all how you view it - I believe that the meltdown in 2008 was as bad as the meltdown last year. 2008 - having a 3 game lead going into the last 3 games, and ending up not making the playoffs, with an easier schedule than what the Broncos had last year.

At least this year we knew midway that we werent going towin the division. Last year we lost the division AND a playoff spot in one night....embarrassingly

silkamilkamonico
02-02-2010, 01:40 PM

Considering Shanahan basically "threw" the Carolina game by not even bothering to gameplan for it, and hold all his marbles on the Buffalo game showed me he quit on that season, which was something McDaniels did not do last year.

arapaho2
02-02-2010, 01:47 PM
Clay...we're rebuilding and we have been for a few years now. But we were told that nope, no rebuilding here we're a top tier team. Top tier teams don't lose their last 3 games when just 1 win gets you in the playoff. Top tier teams don't get their asses handed to them mightily by their division rival year in and year out.

We expected a tough season last year. I've known ya since before the Shanny firing, and you weren't this negative and harsh on Shanahan who did no better than McD the last 3 years. How fair is that?

teams that are well coached and have the 7th ranked defense dont lose 8 of the last 10 games either:coffee:

my problem sis is that....we were pretty well done rebuilding a young and upcomeing offense already and were working on the defense

now were back to rebuilding both sides of the ball...

Denver Native (Carol)
02-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Teams that are well coached do NOT hold a 3 game lead in their division, with 3 games left - needing ONLY 1 win to make the playoffs - but end up losing ALL 3 games - i.e. - do not make the playoffs

claymore
02-02-2010, 01:54 PM

We had alot more stability when Shanahan took over. And after the SB era players started to retire I knew it would take along time for him to replace them.

I love Bronco greats. They get alot more patcience than no name punks.

silkamilkamonico
02-02-2010, 01:56 PM
my problem sis is that....we were pretty well done rebuilding a young and upcomeing offense already and were working on the defense

LMAO at thinking McDaniels, or any coach replacing Shanahan, should have stuck with Shanahan's offensive system, which was mere average in scoring points, despite all the "legendary firepower".

What wins games? Points? Or yards? Chicago's still trying to figure out that answer too.

arapaho2
02-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Teams that are well coached do NOT hold a 3 game lead in their division, with 3 games left - needing ONLY 1 win to make the playoffs - but end up losing ALL 3 games - i.e. - do not make the playoffs

they do if they have the 30th ranked defense in scoring...31st in turnovers...28th against the run, 26th against the pass

and are on their 7th starting rb and forced into catch up offense while being one dimmensional

come on do you even understand what happened last year??:rolleyes:

arapaho2
02-02-2010, 02:02 PM
LMAO at thinking McDaniels, or any coach replacing Shanahan, should have stuck with Shanahan's offensive system, which was mere average in scoring points, despite all the "legendary firepower".

What wins games? Points? Or yards? Chicago's still trying to figure out that answer too.

who says anything about stickin to shannys system...you stick to the skilled players you have and make a scheme work

but as for MERE AVERAGE

considering mcds NEW offense was statisticaly worse in every stat...what would you call that?...progress?

silkamilkamonico
02-02-2010, 02:06 PM
who says anything about stickin to shannys system...you stick to the skilled players you have and make a scheme work

yea, Jay Cutler really showed his skill outside of Shanahan's system last year. Way to completely reach on that one.

but as for MERE AVERAGE

16th out of 32 teams is average. You're seriously not trying to argue differently are you?

considering mcds NEW offense was statisticaly worse in every stat...what would you call that?...progress?

I'd call that a change in offensive philosophy, or system, to running a power offense with Shanahan's score deprived offenisve line finesse players.

But I wouldn't expect you to understand that.

Lonestar
02-02-2010, 02:33 PM
teams that are well coached and have the 7th ranked defense dont lose 8 of the last 10 games either:coffee:

Since we were ranked as the best defense after 6 games just how bad does the D have to be to get dragged to 7th in the final 10 games.

we had rebuilt and O based one ONE person, jay and when that went south the O and more importantly the OLINE needed it as well.

Josh tried to make do with the smaller OLINE, I suspect when dennison told him he could teach them how to block the guy in front of him, could teach them how to pull and guard, could teach them how to pass protect.

But we all saw how that turned out. one guy went down with injury and the OLINE went into the toilet. but then some of us KNEW that hamilton has sucked at pass protection since Humdinger was brought in to run the O. Maybe even before that but when we went to pocket passing he was exposed.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-02-2010, 05:49 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/02/01/league-union-will-hold-cba-talks-saturday/

The NFL and the NFL Players Association will meet this weekend in South Florida to discuss the collective-bargaining agreement, which is scheduled to expire in March of 2011.

The NFLPA asked the team owners to meet Saturday, before a recently scheduled league meeting, and they obliged, according to a league source.

The development was first reported by the New York Times.

HORSEPOWER 56
02-02-2010, 05:55 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/02/01/league-union-will-hold-cba-talks-saturday/

The NFL and the NFL Players Association will meet this weekend in South Florida to discuss the collective-bargaining agreement, which is scheduled to expire in March of 2011.

The NFLPA asked the team owners to meet Saturday, before a recently scheduled league meeting, and they obliged, according to a league source.

The development was first reported by the New York Times.

You know what the sad thing is, for how much we should all be hoping that the CBA gets worked out to prevent a 2011 lockout, if by chance it happens before March of this year then Marshall, Dumervil and Scheffler are automatically UFAs and we get nothing when they leave. If it doesn't, then we end up in this uncapped year mess that most feel will force a lockout in 2011. It's almost a no-win situation for us. :tsk:

arapaho2
02-02-2010, 06:03 PM
yea, Jay Cutler really showed his skill outside of Shanahan's system last year. Way to completely reach on that one.

16th out of 32 teams is average. You're seriously not trying to argue differently are you?

I'd call that a change in offensive philosophy, or system, to running a power offense with Shanahan's score deprived offenisve line finesse players.

But I wouldn't expect you to understand that.

cutler will be twice the qb orton or plummer ever will be....because he's playing on a suck offense..no wrs..a horrid oline, no run game..and a oc that was fired because he sucked..is no worry of mine

im not aurgueing our 16th scoring offense with basicaly three rookie linemen, 7th starting rbs...a rookie #2 wr..and a terrible special teams that gave the offense one of the worst starting positions in the league..and a defense that couldnt stop a high school team..and was next to dead last in getting the ball back via turnover...was average

im saying what do you call the improvments that made it worse?
below average?

i'd call it changing to a even more scoreing deprived offense

Denver Native (Carol)
02-02-2010, 06:09 PM
You know what the sad thing is, for how much we should all be hoping that the CBA gets worked out to prevent a 2011 lockout, if by chance it happens before March of this year then Marshall, Dumervil and Scheffler are automatically UFAs and we get nothing when they leave. If it doesn't, then we end up in this uncapped year mess that most feel will force a lockout in 2011. It's almost a no-win situation for us. :tsk:

Thanks for getting the thread back on topic :salute:

Biz1
02-02-2010, 06:19 PM
cutler will be twice the qb orton or plummer ever will be....because he's playing on a suck offense..no wrs..a horrid oline, no run game..and a oc that was fired because he sucked..is no worry of mine

im not aurgueing our 16th scoring offense with basicaly three rookie linemen, 7th starting rbs...a rookie #2 wr..and a terrible special teams that gave the offense one of the worst starting positions in the league..and a defense that couldnt stop a high school team..and was next to dead last in getting the ball back via turnover...was average

im saying what do you call the improvments that made it worse?
below average?

i'd call it changing to a even more scoreing deprived offense

"cutler will be twice the qb orton or plummer ever will be....because he's playing on a suck offense..no wrs..a horrid oline, no run game..and a oc that was fired because he sucked..is no worry of mine".

I certainly hope so...we paid almost twice the normal asking price.

arapaho2
02-02-2010, 06:19 PM
Since we were ranked as the best defense after 6 games just how bad does the D have to be to get dragged to 7th in the final 10 games.

they gave up 22.8 points per game for orton to go 2-8....almost a TD less then the 28ppg the defense gave up in 08 on the season for cutler..think about it..cutler was .500 with a defense giving up 28 ppg...orton was.250 with a defense giving up 22.8ppg

we had rebuilt and O based one ONE person, jay and when that went south the O and more importantly the OLINE needed it as well.

ok i guess hillis, marshall, scheffler, royal, harris were all built for jay....and dont work in the 0-10 yard offesne of orton and mcd:confused:

Josh tried to make do with the smaller OLINE, I suspect when dennison told him he could teach them how to block the guy in front of him, could teach them how to pull and guard, could teach them how to pass protect.

But we all saw how that turned out. one guy went down with injury and the OLINE went into the toilet. but then some of us KNEW that hamilton has sucked at pass protection since Humdinger was brought in to run the O. Maybe even before that but when we went to pocket passing he was exposed.

funny though how in one year with one qb swap our great oline that gave up a scant 12 sacks in 08..just sucked in pass blocking..dont say he changed the zbs....zbs is for the run...drop back pass blocking is basicaly the same on both pb and zb
its just so weird how that happened...i mean ortons immobility or mcds offensive scheme had nothing to do with the sudden decline:coffee:

:rolleyes::lol:

arapaho2
02-02-2010, 06:22 PM
"cutler will be twice the qb orton or plummer ever will be....because he's playing on a suck offense..no wrs..a horrid oline, no run game..and a oc that was fired because he sucked..is no worry of mine".

I certainly hope so...we paid almost twice the normal asking price.

they got martz now..a huge upgrade in O coaching over rob turner....maybe they get a actual #1 wr and relegate hester back to punt returns

fix the oline and get a wr cutler will be fine

Lonestar
02-02-2010, 06:41 PM
they got martz now..a huge upgrade in O coaching over rob turner....maybe they get a actual #1 wr and relegate hester back to punt returns

fix the oline and get a wr cutler will be fine

cutler will be just another Jeff George a coach killer even with all the help around him.

IMHO