PDA

View Full Version : Boss Bailey In Denver

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-05-2008, 04:24 AM
Detroit linebacker Boss Bailey, younger brother of Denver star cornerback Champ Bailey, will visit the Broncos today and Thursday.

The Broncos are looking to finalize a contract while he is on the trip for Bailey to play strongside linebacker. "First of all, we need him, that's the biggest thing above him being my brother," Champ Bailey said Tuesday. "It would be great for us. Hopefully, we'll get it done ... There's no question, this is where Boss wants to be."

San Diego safety Marlin McCree is also visiting today and will choose between Denver and Buffalo.

denverpost.com

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-05-2008, 04:27 AM
i am cool on mcree, we need a fast safety a ballhawk if u will.

Stargazer
03-05-2008, 04:36 AM
DJ, Nick, and Boss... So this is our '08 LB's.

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-05-2008, 04:39 AM
i wouldnt mind it if al wilson came back. that would be great. boss, williams, and wilson.

BRONCOSFREAK765
03-05-2008, 04:41 AM
Perhaps most important in Boss Bailey's decision-making process is that the Broncos have a need at linebacker, particularly on the strong side, which is Bailey's natural spot.

The Broncos this week signed Niko Koutouvides to compete at middle linebacker, which would shift D.J. Williams to the weak- side position, where he's arguably the best fit.

But should they sign Boss Bailey, the Broncos just as easily could keep Williams in the middle, play Jamie Winborn on the weak side and put Bailey over the tight end, with Koutouvides serving as a special-teams ace.

"First and foremost, it is based on need," Champ Bailey said of the prospect of his younger brother joining the lineup. "You let a guy like Ian Gold go, you've got to fill that spot. He's also capable of playing in our system. He's a very versatile, fast guy that we love to have in our linebackers."

rockymountainnews.com

SoCalBronco
03-05-2008, 05:15 AM
I'm curious to see what kind of a contract offer is made to Bailey the Younger.
He's a name, and He definately fills a need, but He's not a star by any means.
He likely will get "star" like $ due to the climate in the NFL what with the salery cap increase.
I will not be upset if they bring in Mcree at all. He's more of the coverage safety everyone's been talking aboot.

fcspikeit
03-05-2008, 05:55 AM
I'm curious to see what kind of a contract offer is made to Bailey the Younger.
He's a name, and He definately fills a need, but He's not a star by any means.
He likely will get "star" like $ due to the climate in the NFL what with the salery cap increase.
I will not be upset if they bring in Mcree at all. He's more of the coverage safety everyone's been talking aboot.

I would like to sign both Boss and Mcree.. Then we can focus on one of the top 2 DT's and what we can do to get one in the draft.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-05-2008, 08:44 AM
I'm not a huge fan of bringing in Boss, but I will concede that he is lkely an upgrade over Ian Gold. Another thing is that we can now put DJ at his rightful place. Niko may be a downgrade at MLB (but hey, he may be an upgrade...we'll see), but DJ at Will is a huge upgrade. So basically the Will/Mike combo in 2008 should be vastly improved from that of 2007...and Boss is an upgrade over Ian...now for the DTs to free em up.

McCree...eh...better than what we have and not so good that we would pass on a Safety in the draft if the right one fell to us.

Superchop 7
03-05-2008, 09:31 AM
If they get Champ to re-do his deal for some cap space relief.

I'm all for it.

Otherwise......no.

G_Money
03-05-2008, 11:08 AM
I don't want to pay Boss 45 million dollars to play LB for us.

But I'll see what sort of contract he gets before I start bitching.

~G

HolyDiver
03-05-2008, 11:22 AM
i wouldnt mind it if al wilson came back. that would be great. boss, williams, and wilson.

Hopefully Atwater comes back too.

Slick
03-05-2008, 11:25 AM
I don't want to pay Boss 45 million dollars to play LB for us.

But I'll see what sort of contract he gets before I start bitching.

~G

I agree G.

We better not pay too much for an oft injured SLB, especially with the current state of our D line. It's not like he's going to get a lot of protection up front.

I hope Champ told him to get ready to not only take on TE's and RB's out of the backfield. We allow opposing teams lineman to get to the second level on a play by play basis. Eat your Wheaties Boss.

BOSSHOGG30
03-05-2008, 11:26 AM
I will have to read through post more carefully if we sign Boss or I won't know if someone is talking about Boss Bailey, or me.

CoachChaz
03-05-2008, 11:33 AM
I'd be content with signing Bailey if he could stay on the field. I really like McCree, but while he is an upgrade over what we have now...he doesn't make out safety corps much younger.

BOSSHOGG30
03-05-2008, 11:35 AM
I'd be content with signing Bailey if he could stay on the field. I really like McCree, but while he is an upgrade over what we have now...he doesn't make out safety corps much younger.

just like this is the year of the runningback....next year is the year to get a safety... there are some elite talent prospects coming out next year.

CoachChaz
03-05-2008, 11:36 AM
just like this is the year of the runningback....next year is the year to get a safety... there are some elite talent prospects coming out next year.

I'd be happy nabbing McCree as a FA and drafting a guy low this year, then looking for a stud next year in earlier rounds.

BOSSHOGG30
03-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Imagine if we draft Taylor Mays out of USC or Myron Rolle out of Florida State next year?!

Forget Kenny Phillips! These two are far superior prospects.

G_Money
03-05-2008, 11:48 AM
I know Detroit isn't exactly a mecca for defense, but I have a little bit of a problem paying big bucks for a guy who averages 66 total tackles a year as a LB, especially when his best year was his first one. Boss doesn't suck, but I was looking for either a significant upgrade over Winborn/Webster for the likely pricetag Boss will bring or for a draftee to add to the LB corps that we can grow with (and who doesn't cost much).

Signing Boss for tons of money is like signing Winborn for lots of money, and we already have Winborn for much cheaper. Both are talented OLBs who need to stay healthy and be more productive on the field.

I guess I don't get the huge upgrade Boss would bring - and I'm not exactly Winborn's biggest fan either so it's not like I'm over-inflating our current LB abilities (I don't think).

~G

MHCBill
03-05-2008, 11:52 AM
If Boss comes in at a reasonable price... like the other free agents I have no problem with it.

Value

Value

Value

SmilinAssasSin27
03-05-2008, 11:52 AM
It all depends on the pricetag. He is an upgrade from Ian...clearly. If this is a reasonable contract it offers us flexibility both on the field and in the checkbook. If we don't overpay for him, I'd love to see if we can help him progress.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-05-2008, 11:53 AM
Imagine if we draft Taylor Mays out of USC or Myron Rolle out of Florida State next year?!

Forget Kenny Phillips! These two are far superior prospects.

Rolle is a badass. But I still like KP.

BOSSHOGG30
03-05-2008, 11:54 AM
i don't think you can consider him an upgrde over Ian Gold, unless we are moving Boss Bailey to WILL.

From the sounds of things, we are down grading at MLB, but upgrading WILL and SAM with the moving of D.J. to WILL and signing Boss Bailey as the SAM.

Slick
03-05-2008, 11:55 AM
I will have to read through post more carefully if we sign Boss or I won't know if someone is talking about Boss Bailey, or me.

If Denver signs Boss Bailey, I will refer to him by number. You have seniority Boss. :salute:

BOSSHOGG30
Rolle is a badass. But I still like KP.

Taylor Mays is the badass. The guy doesn't have a weakness. 220 pounds and runs a reported 4.3 forty, tackling machine plus a shut down cover safety.

MHCBill
I"m excited that DJ will probably be moving back to WILL.

Niko or drafting a guy like Lofton to play MLB with Bailey at SAM would be an upgrade to the linebacking corps imo.

Might take until 2009 that they would all be hitting on full cylinders, but that's fine... Niner doesn't like to hear it, but we're not going to REALLY compete this year anyway.

BOSSHOGG30
03-05-2008, 11:57 AM
I"m excited that DJ will probably be moving back to WILL.

Niko or drafting a guy like Lofton to play MLB with Bailey at SAM would be an upgrade to the linebacking corps imo.

Might take until 2009 that they would all be hitting on full cylinders, but that's fine... Niner doesn't like to hear it, but we're not going to REALLY compete this year anyway.

MHCBILL... You would be a great GM... DJ at WILL, Lofton at MLB, and Bailey at SAM

Come here and give me a hug!

SmilinAssasSin27
03-05-2008, 11:57 AM
i don't think you can consider him an upgrde over Ian Gold, unless we are moving Boss Bailey to WILL.

From the sounds of things, we are down grading at MLB, but upgrading WILL and SAM with the moving of D.J. to WILL and signing Boss Bailey as the SAM.

I'm not sure yet than Niko is a downgrade. he says MLB is his natural position...but was behind a pretty dam good one in Seattle. Also, DJ didn't exactly set teh world on fire in the middle. In the long run, I think DJ woulda been better, but if we simply compare 16 games in 2007 to what we expect in 2008 from that spot Niko may actually be a slight upgrade since he isn't under the same learning curve DJ was.

MHCBill
03-05-2008, 11:58 AM
MHCBILL... You would be a great GM... DJ at WILL, Lofton at MLB, and Bailey at SAM

Come here and give me a hug!Ahhhhh shucks...

MHCBill
03-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Boss, btw... fence post needs corrected in the sig I believe.

CoachChaz
03-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Mays is 225 and has solid coverage skills, but may be more suited as a SS. He'll only be a junior, so we'll see if he decides to come out. His fastest time ever was a 4.38, but he averages 4.49.

I'd prefer a William moore, Nate Allen, Danny McCray, Kam Chancellor or Rolle.

HolyDiver
03-05-2008, 12:02 PM
I know Detroit isn't exactly a mecca for defense, but I have a little bit of a problem paying big bucks for a guy who averages 66 total tackles a year as a LB, especially when his best year was his first one. Boss doesn't suck, but I was looking for either a significant upgrade over Winborn/Webster for the likely pricetag Boss will bring or for a draftee to add to the LB corps that we can grow with (and who doesn't cost much).

Signing Boss for tons of money is like signing Winborn for lots of money, and we already have Winborn for much cheaper. Both are talented OLBs who need to stay healthy and be more productive on the field.

I guess I don't get the huge upgrade Boss would bring - and I'm not exactly Winborn's biggest fan either so it's not like I'm over-inflating our current LB abilities (I don't think).

~G

Strongside Linebackers usually don't have as many tackles as the Will and Mike. Look at DJ's numbers...............I'll go get them..................Never mind, can't find his tackle count from 2006............But look at the difference in 2007 as a middle Linebacker.

BOSSHOGG30
03-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Mays is 225 and has solid coverage skills, but may be more suited as a SS. He'll only be a junior, so we'll see if he decides to come out. His fastest time ever was a 4.38, but he averages 4.49.

I'd prefer a William moore, Nate Allen, Danny McCray, Kam Chancellor or Rolle.

If we don't take a safety in next years draft, I might puke. Denver needs to get in the habit of looking ahead in drafts as well.

CoachChaz
03-05-2008, 12:04 PM
I think Niko will be fine. He did well in Seattle. not easy to crack the starting lineup on one of the best LB corrps in the NFL. No one on our current roster would be a starter there right now either.

In-com-plete
03-05-2008, 12:22 PM
If we sign Boss, I say we should just put their first names on the back of the Jersey instead of C. Bailey and B. Bailey.

Like Ichiro.

atwater27
03-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Champ Bailey is making it blatantly obvious that Boss wants to play in Denver, which one could assume would favor the broncos in the salary negotiations. But, definitely do not overpay this man. It would be colossaly retarded.

shank
03-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Strongside Linebackers usually don't have as many tackles as the Will and Mike. Look at DJ's numbers...............I'll go get them..................Never mind, can't find his tackle count from 2006............But look at the difference in 2007 as a middle Linebacker.

dj nearly doubled his tackle total from 06 going from 76 tot as a sam to 141 tot as mike. dj had 114 as a rookie will.

despite the fact that sams usually have a lot less tackles than wills and mikes, nate webster had 87 tackles in 07 as opposed to ian gold's 72 (as a will, that's unacceptable...) all totals from nfl.com.

Lonestar
03-05-2008, 06:02 PM
If we sign Boss, I say we should just put their first names on the back of the Jersey instead of C. Bailey and B. Bailey.

Like Ichiro.

Champ and I'm his little brother

BeefStew25
03-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Pele. Nene. Beef.

Simple Jaded
03-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Champ and I'm his little brother

How bout: Champ and At Least I'm better than Webster and Gold?......

Nature Boy
03-05-2008, 06:25 PM
If we get Boss, we move DJ to will, we still need a real MLB. I don't see Niko cutting it. How's Al Wilson by the way. Anyone picked him up yet?

Or would Winborn be suffice at will? DJ got a lot of heat last season at his 1st year in the middle but he was only 2nd in the league in Tackles.

mopatt24
03-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Taylor Mays is the badass. The guy doesn't have a weakness. 220 pounds and runs a reported 4.3 forty, tackling machine plus a shut down cover safety.

I AGREE BOSS!!!

Taylor Mays is a pure beast. I already started looking down the road, since we're in rebuild mode. If he decides to come out next season, we should hop all over him.

I believe USC has a couple Safeties that could possibly be coming out.

Josh Pinkard & Kevin Ellison are pretty darn good too

ChampWJ
03-05-2008, 06:43 PM
I know Boss hasn't had the greatest pro career to date for a number of reasons. However, I feel a lot of fans on here are selling him short. Coming out of Georgia, he was considered the best OLB prospect, and compared to Derrick Brooks. From a USA today article around draft time in 2003: "Rodney "Boss" Bailey dazzled at Georgia's pro day, clocking 4.35 in the 40, with a 44 1/2-inch vertical jump and 10-foot, 11-inch long jump." http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/draft/2003-04-10-ol-bailey_x.htm

I just want people to know what type of athlete we might be getting, and keep in mind he's still only 28, so he still has time to mature into the star he was expected to be. He would be an excellent signing in my opinion.

dogfish
03-05-2008, 06:50 PM
I'm not sure yet than Niko is a downgrade. he says MLB is his natural position...but was behind a pretty dam good one in Seattle. Also, DJ didn't exactly set teh world on fire in the middle. In the long run, I think DJ woulda been better, but if we simply compare 16 games in 2007 to what we expect in 2008 from that spot Niko may actually be a slight upgrade since he isn't under the same learning curve DJ was.

and i'm not sure how much difference it's going to make which LBs we trot out there if our DT rotation is still marcus thomas and the three stooges. . . .

okay, exaggeration, but i'm just sayin'. . . .

GEM
03-05-2008, 06:56 PM
and i'm not sure how much difference it's going to make which LBs we trot out there if our DT rotation is still marcus thomas and the three stooges. . . .

Which one is Moe? That guy always got on my nerves and deserves a swift kick in the nuts. Engleberger will do though. ;)

fcspikeit
03-05-2008, 06:59 PM
If we get Boss, we move DJ to will, we still need a real MLB. I don't see Niko cutting it. How's Al Wilson by the way. Anyone picked him up yet?

Or would Winborn be suffice at will? DJ got a lot of heat last season at his 1st year in the middle but he was only 2nd in the league in Tackles.

Living here in Idaho we I see a lot of Seahawks games. Niko is a really good player. He is a hard nose SOB with a lot of grit. I think most here who have never seen him play will be surprised at how good he is.

Of course there's really only one way to find out, I hope we give him the chance to be our Mike... He would never have signed with us just to play special teams. He had matching offers from TB to start outside as well Seattle offered to match our offer to keep him and he chose us because he was told he will be our starting Mike.

We should have allowed him to go to TB if we weren't going to at least give him the chance to start for us..

Medford Bronco
03-05-2008, 07:02 PM

you mean Marcus Thomas and these guys :lol: :laugh:

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/The-Three-Stooges-Magnet-C11750420.jpeg

Simple Jaded
03-05-2008, 07:03 PM
Living here in Idaho we I see a lot of Seahawks games. Niko is a really good player. He as a hard nose SOB with a lot of grit. I think most here who have never seen him play will be surprised at how good he is.

Of course there's really only one way to find out, I hope we give him the chance to be our Mike... He would never have signed with us just to play special teams. He had matching offers from TB to start outside as well Seattle offered to match our offer to keep him and he chose us because he was told he will be our starting Mike.

We should have allowed him to go to TB if we weren't going to at least give him the chance to start for us..

Hopefully Denver didn't give Kout?????? over 2million a year to be a STer......

SmilinAssasSin27
03-05-2008, 07:56 PM
2 words...Glen Cadrez

nevcraw
03-05-2008, 08:09 PM
2 words...Glen Cadrez

my thoughts exactly...

What I remember most from last season was running backs destroying us on the outside.. We need stud LB's at Sam and Will and a solid tackler in the middle.

fcspikeit
03-05-2008, 08:54 PM
2 words...Glen Cadrez

I think he is more athletic and has better game speed then Cadrez...

SmilinAssasSin27
03-05-2008, 09:07 PM
measureables aside...Cadrez got the job done

BeefStew25
03-05-2008, 09:10 PM
measureables aside...Cadrez got the job done

Well, since he played during our Super Bowl wins, we look fondly towards him.

He was average at best.

nevcraw
03-05-2008, 09:13 PM

He was average at best.

as long as the unit as whole is better than average, the broncos will be improved and the O will more opportunity to score TD's.

TXBRONC
03-05-2008, 09:49 PM
as long as the unit as whole is better than average, the broncos will be improved and the O will more opportunity to score TD's.

It makes sense me. If our defense get play well enough to get the offense good field position that should have positive effect on scoring.

Scarface
03-05-2008, 10:08 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa...did anyone read the Boss Bailey RMN article?

This is the interesting part:

The Broncos have also expressed interest in Indianapolis Colts guard Jake Scott and could bring him in for a future visit.

Scott left Tennessee on Wednesday. The Titans have a void in their starting lineup with starting guard Jacob Bell signing with St. Louis.

The Houston Texans are also in the hunt for Scott’s services. The four-year pro broke into the Colts’ starting lineup midway through his rookie season in 2004 and has since been a fixture at right guard for the potent Indy offense.

At 6-foot-5, 295 pounds, Scott also has played right tackle in a pinch and has the athleticism Denver covets in its linemen.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/mar/05/broncos-trying-land-bailey-mccree/

BroncoJoe
03-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa...did anyone read the Boss Bailey RMN article?

This is the interesting part:

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/mar/05/broncos-trying-land-bailey-mccree/

It was mentioned in another thread. Don't know much about him myself, other than the rave reviews read here by our own expert scouts.

Nature Boy
03-05-2008, 11:18 PM
We have our own experts scouts here? awesome!!!

SmilinAssasSin27
03-05-2008, 11:34 PM

He was average at best.

However, if he wasn't getting the job done our middle would have been a problem. My point is that we don't need an uber-athletic star. We need a football player who doesn't get pushed around and plays well in small spaces.

lex
03-05-2008, 11:42 PM

I agree. McCree is a stopgap though and Im fine with that.

Superchop 7
03-06-2008, 07:28 AM
Boss Bailey is in town......

bfd

turftoad
03-06-2008, 10:36 AM
I'm sure we'll hear about this signing today.

LRtagger
03-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Now all we need to do is pick up Rodney Bailey from the Cards

ikillz0mbies
03-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Oddly enough, Boss' real name is Rodney, so technically if the Broncos were to sign him, they would already have a Rodney Bailey.

turftoad
03-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Boss Bailey signs with Broncos, joins brother in Denver
NFL.com

The Broncos reached agreement with Detroit free-agent linebacker Boss Bailey on a five-year, $17.5 million deal, NFL Network's Adam Schefter is reporting.

More free agency:
» Position-by-position breakdown The deal means that Boss Bailey will play with his older brother Champ Bailey, the Broncos cornerback.

Boss Bailey started 51 games over five seasons with the Lions. He missed the entire 2004 season after suffering a season-ending knee injury during training camp. Bailey has seven career sacks and two interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown.

Bailey is the second linebacker signed by the Broncos this offseason. Denver also acquired former Seahawks linebacker Niko Koutouvides.

HolyDiver
03-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Boss Bailey signs with Broncos, joins brother in Denver
NFL.com

The Broncos reached agreement with Detroit free-agent linebacker Boss Bailey on a five-year, $17.5 million deal, NFL Network's Adam Schefter is reporting.

More free agency:
» Position-by-position breakdown The deal means that Boss Bailey will play with his older brother Champ Bailey, the Broncos cornerback.

Boss Bailey started 51 games over five seasons with the Lions. He missed the entire 2004 season after suffering a season-ending knee injury during training camp. Bailey has seven career sacks and two interceptions, including one returned for a touchdown.

Bailey is the second linebacker signed by the Broncos this offseason. Denver also acquired former Seahawks linebacker Niko Koutouvides.

He should be an upgrade over Webster............Now, Webster and Winborn can be excellent backups instead of okay starters.

mclark
03-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Seems like a lot of money. But it IS a position of need. Two new linebackers so far, which is good.

BroncoJoe
03-06-2008, 04:10 PM
I've never really paid attention to him in Detroit. Let's hope his brother motivates him to play at the same level.

Lonestar
03-06-2008, 04:10 PM
signed a 17mil 5 year deal..

Italianmobstr7
03-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Hopefully this is a good signing. I hope that he can come in and prove himself.

Slick
03-06-2008, 04:12 PM
I've never really paid attention to him in Detroit. Let's hope his brother motivates him to play at the same level.

Was going to say the same thing. Let's hope he emulates his bro.

Good find Turf. I didn't want to post it up until I found a source.

underrated29
03-06-2008, 04:12 PM
YEAH, i knew we would sign him and glad we did. Hopefully this means we are going after stewart WITH LB OUT OF THe way.

Not too bad its a lil over 3mil a year, thats pretty cheap.

Lonestar
03-06-2008, 04:13 PM

as in Detroit?

Or as Champ plays in DEN?

The first one is obtainable, the second is dreaming..

BOSSHOGG30
03-06-2008, 04:14 PM
That is a decent deal.... I like it. As far as overspending in free agency goes... that isn't half bad... Less money that we paid Ian Gold to come back and suck it up in Denver.

Retired_Member_001
03-06-2008, 04:15 PM
It's a definite upgrade over Webster. Because of this I like the signing. We haven't got an elite LB corps anymore in my opinion but picking up a LB in either this years draft or next years draft will give put us back in position.

Now we have the Boss and the Champ.

Rex
He has to be better than what was out there last year.

BroncoJoe
as in Detroit?

Or as Champ plays in DEN?

The first one is obtainable, the second is dreaming..

Do you have an older brother? My intensity level was far greater when playing sports with my older brother. Younger one always has something to prove....

Just sayin.

BOSSHOGG30
03-06-2008, 04:16 PM
Now only if Dre Bly had a brother that was a DT.

dogfish
03-06-2008, 04:17 PM
ummm. . . . yay?

BOSSHOGG30
Now we have to wait and see if he will play WILL or SAM.

mclark
Now if we can sign a legitimate OTackle as a free agent and a legit defensive tackle we'll be ready for the draft.

HolyDiver
03-06-2008, 04:18 PM
Seems like a lot of money. But it IS a position of need. Two new linebackers so far, which is good.

How about a lineup of this:

Dumervil and Crowder at DE's

Thomas and Trevor Laws at DT's

Linebackers........DJ at Will, Niko at Mike, and Boss at Sam.

Champ and Bly at Corners.

Lynch and Abdullah at Safeties.

Not bad, and that's only couinting on using a #2 pick on laws.

Ricky
03-06-2008, 04:18 PM
He has to be better than what was out there last year.

we can always hope!

dogfish
03-06-2008, 04:19 PM
Now if we can sign a legitimate OTackle as a free agent and a legit defensive tackle we'll be ready for the draft.

co-signed in theory, but who's left on the market at either position that really excites you?

BOSSHOGG30
03-06-2008, 04:22 PM
T Max Starks & DT Larry Tripplett

JONtheBRONCO
03-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Yes!!

yardog
03-06-2008, 04:24 PM
DT Rod Coleman from ATL

Lonestar
03-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Do you have an older brother? My intensity level was far greater when playing sports with my older brother. Younger one always has something to prove....

Just sayin.

Yes but he never did sports to busy trying to be Jimmy (rebel without a cause) Dean.

Boss will never rise to Champs level, ever!!

Would be great if he did, but he is an OK LB.. With a name he will never live up to..

Medford Bronco
03-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Yes but he never did sports to busy trying to be Jimmy (rebel without a cause) Dean.

Would be great if he did, but he is an OK LB.. With a name he will never live up to..

Kinda like the way

Dennis Hull never rose up to his bother Bobby Hulls play

NightTrainLayne
03-06-2008, 04:31 PM

It doesn't matter. Nobody we could have brought in at LB would "play to Champ's level." The point is that Champ will hopefull raise Boss' level above what it has been by playing together.

Davii
03-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Glad to hear it. The pieces of the puzzle are starting to come together. We need to work on both lines now.

ydave77
03-06-2008, 04:33 PM
I feel like this was a very good deal. Not bc I think Boss is a stud...but bc of the value we got. I am not sure what others think, but 3.5 mill/yr is a steal for a solid LB attained via FA. We paid Gold 5mill/yr when he signed his contract in 2005. And considering in 2005 the cap was 85 million, and now the cap is 117mill, this deal looks that much sweeter.

I think at the VERY least we have an average starting LB in boss, and with a little luck, one who might better fulfill their athletic potential away from the unfriendly confines of Ford Field.

A good signing....I am starting to get on board with the Denver off season plan. Try to sign quality FA's to bargain contracts without over spending for the big names. If we stay this course we should have no problem locking up and extending the contracts of our young performers...

turftoad
03-06-2008, 04:34 PM
It doesn't matter. Nobody we could have brought in at LB would "play to Champ's level." The point is that Champ will hopefull raise Boss' level above what it has been by playing together.

I bet both the Bailey brothers are kind of excited right now.

topscribe
03-06-2008, 04:34 PM

Surprises me to see the "never, ever" comment out of you, JR. Those are big words.

Nonetheless, Boss does not have to come up to Champ's level. At that level,
you are talking about two or three players in the entire league. Champ is the
ONLY player the Broncos have who can be described as "elite" (although
BMarsh and Cutler are knocking at the door).

All Boss has to do is to play well and within the system, know where his
responsibilities are, and take care of them. If he does that, then with D.J.
there with him the LB corps will be solid indeed.

-----

xzn
03-06-2008, 04:36 PM
Having signed Lynch, two starting LBs and a possible starter at WR we can now focus on getting the best available player with the first round pick while addressing the remining need a DT in round two.

Here's a scenario:

Trade #12 for #16 and #14 in the third round. Then we get:

1. Chris Williams - OT - Vanderbilt
2. Trevor Laws - DT - Notre Dame ~OR~ Pat Sims - DT - Auburn
3. Edgar Bennett - WR - Vanderbilt ~OR~ Andre Caldwell - WR - Florida
4a. Tom Zibikowski - S - Notre Dame
4b. Wesley Woodyard - S/WLB - Kentucky
4c. Mike Pollack - C/G - Ariz. St.
5. J. Leman - MLB - Illinois
7a. Durant Brooks - P - Georgia Tech
7b. Colt Brennan ~OR~ Any other developmental QB to compete with hackney for long-term backup to Cut Dr.

BroncoJoe
03-06-2008, 04:40 PM

That's what I'm sayin.

topscribe
03-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Having signed Lynch, two starting LBs and a possible starter at WR we can now focus on getting the best available player with the first round pick while addressing the remining need a DT in round two.

Here's a scenario:

7b. Colt Brennan ~OR~ Any other developmental QB to compete with hackney for long-term backup to Cut Dr.

It would seem to me that safety is the priority after DT. Lynch very likely
will not be here in 2009. Moreover, they are one torn ligament away from
being in a hell of a pickle at safety this year . . .

-----

NameUsedBefore
03-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Should free up the draft a bit to which I say OT or DT with 1st-round pick, please.

Dreadnought
03-06-2008, 04:41 PM
I like it. The money is not outrageous, and B. Bailey is a competent ballplayer.

Can you imagine if we were an organization so stupid that they threw $9 million a year at a broken down 1 legged WR with a terrible attitude? Well, OK, thats an exagerration. NOBODY is that stupid!

topscribe
03-06-2008, 04:44 PM
I like it. The money is not outrageous, and B. Bailey is a competent ballplayer.

Can you imagine if we were an organization so stupid that they threw $9 million a year at a broken down 1 legged WR with a terrible attitude? Well, OK, thats an exagerration. NOBODY is that stupid!

Must be something about rigor mortis that affects the subcranial neurons . . .

-----

Brand
03-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Boss does not have to be an elite LB. The current philosophy has the premise that the team can be made up of guys who are just above average athletes in various position but but are coached to play well together. In many ways that is the philosophy of the Pats, and I think the Giants displayed that same tendency. There are only a few superstars around, and the team that plays well together is the team that will prevail over the long haul.

That is why I have said that the team does not need superstars, or high priced FAs. It needs competent - if unspectacular - players. Right now, the Broncos have Cutler, Marshall, Schefler, and Graham on the O as "superstars." They need a competent Oline. On D, I think Thomas will - in time - be a standout player, and Doom will continue to impress. A decent, competent DT and LBs will compliment Champ and Lynch.

Players in that mold do not need to be superstars, I am pleased with the direction the Broncos are going. I think the acquisition of players at better dollar and cap parameters is a key to the continued competitiveness of the team.

Great signing....

Now, lets get Jake Scott, McCree and Tripplet. The draft would then be BPA all the way.......

turftoad
03-06-2008, 04:51 PM

Two starting LB's? Boss will probably start, Niko has a lot of work to do. I hope we don't settle for Colbert starting.

I do like your optimism. We still have a lot of work to do.

xzn
03-06-2008, 04:54 PM
It would seem to me that safety is the priority after DT. Lynch very likely
will not be here in 2009. Moreover, they are one torn ligament away from
being in a hell of a pickle at safety this year . . .

-----

I agree that safety is a major need scribe. That's why I like taking Zibikowski and Woodyard. Steltz is also a possibility in the fourth round area.

We could go safety in the third, but I think we can get a second round value WR in the third while the safeties who I thik will be available in the third look like third round or even fourth round picks. I wouldn't be too upset if we got a guy like Thomas De Coud in the third (under the trade back scenario) but then the WRs who would be left in the fourth do not possess the upside of a Caldwell or the productivity, speed and comfort level of Bennett.

Taking two guys each from Vandy and the Irish is an afterthought, I didn't realize it really until I started typing it up. But looking at it closer I love the idea of Jay being protected by his guy Chris Williams and throwing it to his boy Edgar. No introductions needed in the locker room.

The team needs chemistry and camaraderie.

I also think we can take Keith Rivers off the draft board now that we have Boss.

shank
03-06-2008, 04:57 PM
Two starting LB's? Boss will probably start, Niko has a lot of work to do. I hope we don't settle for Colbert starting.

it sounds so far like niko will start. at least the article about his signing made it sound like he would, and that's why he chose to come here.

i like the signing of boss, and am pleased to see an average of a little over 3 million per year. i think that's a good price for what he is. he will be AT LEAST average, and with a change of coaching and the added pressure of playing in front of his brother (i agree wit broncojoe, playing sports with my brother motivated me a lot... i was competing with the other team, myself, AND my brother... it helped me to want to be better.) i think he could still be the player people expected him to become out of college. if he can avoid injuries, i think that our lb core is upgraded even with the unknown niko at mike.

i like the philosophy of trying to get a team who works well together, as mikey said there was no chemistry last year. signing the talented brother of your most talented player doesn't hurt when it comes to chemistry...

i like it, and think it could potentially be a big bargain.

dogfish
03-06-2008, 04:58 PM

i think that's a badly needed dose of pragmatism. . . i don't want to rain on anybody's parade-- i know people want to be optimistic during the offseason-- but just because we've brought in some new guys doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be any better than the old guys. . . maybe i'm wrong, and we all know that anything can happen-- but so far i myself see no reason to think that our team is any better right now than it was at the end of the season. . . i still think we need to hit the ball clean out of the park in the draft if we want to be better than a .500 team. . . JMO. . .

*shrugs*

Lonestar
03-06-2008, 04:59 PM
Surprises me to see the "never, ever" comment out of you, JR. Those are big words.

Nonetheless, Boss does not have to come up to Champ's level. At that level,
you are talking about two or three players in the entire league. Champ is the
ONLY player the Broncos have who can be described as "elite" (although
BMarsh and Cutler are knocking at the door).

All Boss has to do is to play well and within the system, know where his
responsibilities are, and take care of them. If he does that, then with D.J.
there with him the LB corps will be solid indeed.

-----

I agree my original comment was made to someone thinking he was going to rise to Champs level, which we all know is not going to happen..

I think he will be a solid addition to the team.. Certainly an up grade from what I know of him over gold, whom should have never been brought back here IMO..

Perhaps having a big brother to thump him on the head when he screws up will be a good thing.. BUT play at his level not gonna happen..

Should it happen, well then mikey is a genius and we all know better than that don't we..

xzn
03-06-2008, 04:59 PM

The more we read it seems that Niko was brought here to start. He could screw it up but it looks like its his job to lose.

As for Colbert, I'm not sure he'll start. That is why in my draft scenario I want to get a player with the potential to start if not this year then in the near future to compete with him. Cutler already knows Bennett real well and Caldwell is the most productive Gator WR in history and burned the track at the 'bine.

As the roster is right now, Stokley is a great slot WR but not a #2. As, I believe it was G-money, was pointed out Stokley can't physically handle being a full time #2. So unless we get Bryant Johnson, which could still happen, Colbert would appear to be the projected starter looking at it today.

turftoad
03-06-2008, 05:00 PM
it sounds so far like niko will start. at least the article about his signing made it sound like he would, and that's why he chose to come here.

i like the signing of boss, and am pleased to see an average of a little over 3 million per year. i think that's a good price for what he is. he will be AT LEAST average, and with a change of coaching and the added pressure of playing in front of his brother (i agree wit broncojoe, playing sports with my brother motivated me a lot... i was competing with the other team, myself, AND my brother... it helped me to want to be better.) i think he could still be the player people expected him to become out of college. if he can avoid injuries, i think that our lb core is upgraded even with the unknown niko at mike.

i like the philosophy of trying to get a team who works well together, as mikey said there was no chemistry last year. signing the talented brother of your most talented player doesn't hurt when it comes to chemistry...

i like it, and think it could potentially be a big bargain.

I haven't seen anywhere that Niko is going to start. From what I understand and have read, he will compete but looks more like a back up and ST guy.

shank
03-06-2008, 05:02 PM

Here's a scenario:

why would the cardinals trade up with us? they don't even have the #14 in the 3rd round... you gotta look at more than just a value chart. (don't get me wrong, i want badly to trade down, and a few spots would open a lot of things up for us, but if you're going to state a specific scenario, it should at least work out in theory).

topscribe
03-06-2008, 05:03 PM
I haven't seen anywhere that Niko is going to start. From what I understand and have read, he will compete but looks more like a back up and ST guy.

Shades of Karl Mecklenberg . . .

-----

dogfish
03-06-2008, 05:04 PM
Shades of Karl Mecklenberg . . .

-----

shades of d.d. lewis. . . .

:lol:

sorry top, i just couldn't help it. . . .

shank
03-06-2008, 05:05 PM

"I signed with Denver because of the opportunity to play middle linebacker," Kou- touvides said. "Tampa was pretty much looking at me to be their Sam (strongside) 'backer and back up at Mike. But I've been a middle linebacker all my life. I've extremely excited."

i guess i'm going off of this. it sounds like we told him that he would be playing mike (of course there is always competition...) for the broncos. at this point he'll be competing with webster or a rookie, so chances are good that he could be our starting mike. he says in tampa he would have been a backup at mike, and didn't want that, why would he come here to be a backup at mike who doesn't even see the field as a starter? (which he would of in tampa at strong side)?

of course mike could have lied to him and told him he would start to get him to sign the contract, only to yank it out of his hands immediately after and shout, "sucker!!! he totally bought it!"

xzn
03-06-2008, 05:07 PM
why would the cardinals trade up with us? they don't even have the #14 in the 3rd round... you gotta look at more than just a value chart. (don't get me wrong, i want badly to trade down, and a few spots would open a lot of things up for us, but if you're going to state a specific scenario, it should at least work out in theory).

Point taken. I did not consider actual teams and needs. And it is certainly not a given that we could find a trade partner.

I think we agree that trading back into the middle of the first and netting a third is a realistic possibility, no?

ON that note, I think we would need to trade back no further than 18 to stay in front of the Texans who might also look at Williams. Then again we could go as far back as the late first and still get Sam Baker and I wouldn't mind that either.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Niko is an upgrade at MLB as he is a better fit and has not as much learning curve than DJ played with in 2007. DJ is the better player, but games 1-16 I'm willing to bet Niko is better in 2008 than DJ was in 2007. THEN add the fact that DJ is back where he should be at WILL and it's a massive upgrade. I'm not a lover of Boss, but do acknowledge that he is also an upgrade. Losing Ian is addition by subtraction. I'm not posting w/ orange colored glasses. I'm a realist...reality is that our LBs were THAT BAD in 2007. As our MLBs showed during our SB years, we don't need a star. We simply need competence.

turftoad
03-06-2008, 05:19 PM
i guess i'm going off of this. it sounds like we told him that he would be playing mike (of course there is always competition...) for the broncos. at this point he'll be competing with webster or a rookie, so chances are good that he could be our starting mike. he says in tampa he would have been a backup at mike, and didn't want that, why would he come here to be a backup at mike who doesn't even see the field as a starter? (which he would of in tampa at strong side)?

of course mike could have lied to him and told him he would start to get him to sign the contract, only to yank it out of his hands immediately after and shout, "sucker!!! he totally bought it!"

It says he is going to compete at Mike. Never said he was going to start there. At this time it looks like he will still be competing with DJ at Mike. We haven't seen anywhere that says DJ is moving yet. It's only speculation.

BOSSHOGG30
03-06-2008, 05:27 PM
It says he is going to compete at Mike. Never said he was going to start there. At this time it looks like he will still be competing with DJ at Mike. We haven't seen anywhere that says DJ is moving yet. It's only speculation.

One would have to think that D.J. will be moved to WILL.....

1) Kootie said the Broncos told him that he would be able to compete for the starting MLB job.

2) Boss Bailey said that Denver told him that they want to move D.J. back to WILL. He then stated that he felt bad for D.J. when he learned how much Denver moved him around in the short time D.J. has played in Denver.

3) Kootie's contract is too much for back up linebacker and special teamer money. We don't have Al Davis running this organization... It wouldn't be odd in Oakland to pay a guy that much to ride the pine, but not in Denver.

4) Ian Gold was cut.... D.J. Williams is a STUD at WILL, Boss Bailey played SAm mostly in Detroit, and Kootie is a natural MLB.

I'm hoping that Denver drafts MLB Lofton in the 2nd round... to compete with Kootie, but it doesn't look like Denver is thinking Linebacker on the 1st day after picking up two linebackers in FA and the depth we already have with Beck, Green, Webster, and Winborn.

topscribe
03-06-2008, 05:29 PM
shades of d.d. lewis. . . .

:lol:

sorry top, i just couldn't help it. . . .

Well, we both now have our shades on . . . :D

-----

shank
03-06-2008, 05:29 PM
Point taken. I did not consider actual teams and needs. And it is certainly not a given that we could find a trade partner.

I think we agree that trading back into the middle of the first and netting a third is a realistic possibility, no?

ON that note, I think we would need to trade back no further than 18 to stay in front of the Texans who might also look at Williams. Then again we could go as far back as the late first and still get Sam Baker and I wouldn't mind that either.

definitley realistic, but if you're going to make a trade scenario, you might as well check to see that that team actually owns the picks you have us trading for! :D

it says nothing about competition. we all know that theres always competition in broncos training camp, but he's obviously under the impression that he is at the very least the front-runner to be our Mike. he says that tampa offered him a starting SAM/backup MIKE role, and he turned it down to come here to denver. why would he do that unless we told him he would be our MIKE? we knew he wasn't going to start at SAM (boss signing was imminent) and he's not suited to play WILL. no way a player would rather sit and wait for someone to get hurt than play out of position.

Q: Why in the world would he pass up a starting gig in tampa (even if it was out of position) to sign here and become strictly a backup?

A (mine anyway): He was convinced that he won't be a backup here in denver, but will be the starting MIKE.

i'm waiting to see if we lied to him.

Watchthemiddle
03-06-2008, 05:30 PM
One would have to think that D.J. will be moved to WILL.....

1) Kootie said the Broncos told him that he would be able to compete for the starting MLB job.

2) Boss Bailey said that Denver told him that they want to move D.J. back to WILL. He then stated that he felt bad for D.J. when he learned how much Denver moved him around in the short time D.J. has played in Denver.

3) Kootie's contract is too much for back up linebacker and special teamer money. We don't have Al Davis running this organization... It wouldn't be odd in Oakland to pay a guy that much to ride the pine, but not in Denver.

4) Ian Gold was cut.... D.J. Williams is a STUD at WILL, Boss Bailey played SAm mostly in Detroit, and Kootie is a natural MLB.

I'm hoping that Denver drafts MLB Lofton in the 2nd round... to compete with Kootie, but it doesn't look like Denver is thinking Linebacker on the 1st day after picking up two linebackers in FA and the depth we already have with Beck, Green, Webster, and Winborn.

Looks like a solid LB core on paper if they can gell together.

If nothing else, some good athletes.

What are the ages at LB?

DJ,

Niko,

Boss,

Just curious

BOSSHOGG30
03-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Looks like a solid LB core on paper if they can gell together.

If nothing else, some good athletes.

What are the ages at LB?

DJ,

Niko,

Boss,

Just curious

Bailey, Boss LB 6'3" 235 28
Koutouvides, Niko LB 6' 2" 238 26
Webster, Nate LB 6' 0" 232 30
Kershaw, William LB 6' 3" 240 24
Winborn, Jamie LB 5' 11" 242 28
Archer, Brandon LB 6' 0" 239 24
Williams, D.J. LB 6' 1" 242 25
Beck, Jordan LB 6' 2" 233 24
Green, Louis LB 6' 3" 237 28

Watchthemiddle
03-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Bailey, Boss LB 6'3" 235 28
Koutouvides, Niko LB 6' 2" 238 26
Webster, Nate LB 6' 0" 232 30
Kershaw, William LB 6' 3" 240 24
Winborn, Jamie LB 5' 11" 242 28
Archer, Brandon LB 6' 0" 239 24
Williams, D.J. LB 6' 1" 242 25
Beck, Jordan LB 6' 2" 233 24
Green, Louis LB 6' 3" 237 28

You da man.

THanks...:salute:

SmilinAssasSin27
03-06-2008, 05:40 PM
I also like that we did get a little bit bigger as well. 235, 238 and 242 sound much better than 225, 232 and 242. Ian was a smurf and a liability.

Dreadnought
03-06-2008, 05:50 PM
I also like that we did get a little bit bigger as well. 235, 238 and 242 sound much better than 225, 232 and 242. Ian was a smurf and a liability.

When getting all over Ian, lets not forget for a moment just how bad Nate Webster was last year too. I am pretty encouraged, and getting Webster on the bench is an additional side benefit.

joshxhannah
03-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Champs bro is signed. 5 year deal, 4 million dollar signing bonus. Lets hope he can stay healthy

turftoad
03-06-2008, 06:02 PM
definitley realistic, but if you're going to make a trade scenario, you might as well check to see that that team actually owns the picks you have us trading for! :D

it says nothing about competition. we all know that theres always competition in broncos training camp, but he's obviously under the impression that he is at the very least the front-runner to be our Mike. he says that tampa offered him a starting SAM/backup MIKE role, and he turned it down to come here to denver. why would he do that unless we told him he would be our MIKE? we knew he wasn't going to start at SAM (boss signing was imminent) and he's not suited to play WILL. no way a player would rather sit and wait for someone to get hurt than play out of position.

Q: Why in the world would he pass up a starting gig in tampa (even if it was out of position) to sign here and become strictly a backup?

A (mine anyway): He was convinced that he won't be a backup here in denver, but will be the starting MIKE.

i'm waiting to see if we lied to him.

The only way we would be lieing to him is if we didn't allow him to compete at Mike. I'm sure he'll get that oportunity.
You can speculate all you want. We don't know for sure that DJ is moving yet.
Tamps never promised him that he would start at SAM. He said himself he's a better fit at Mike. Thats where he wants to play.
I hope Niko comes in and lights it up at Mike. Then........ DJ could move to Will. Then........ I would hope that Boss is better than expected and could light it up at Sam.
Point is.......... it's still ALL speculation.

claymore
03-06-2008, 06:03 PM
Champs bro is signed. 5 year deal, 4 million dollar signing bonus. Lets hope he can stay healthyHell yeah! I hope he is better than Gold!

Bronco9798
03-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Hell yeah! I hope he is better than Gold!

I'm better than Gold. I still like Winborn in the mix as well.

Medford Bronco
03-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Hell yeah! I hope he is better than Gold!

All he has to do is show up and not get run over like a train hit him on most plays as Gold did in 07

Boss will only be as good as DJ. gold was good with Wilson and really missed him last year.

Rex
03-06-2008, 06:07 PM

Your shit is broke. You are no good to anyone anymore

claymore
03-06-2008, 06:08 PM
Your shit is broke. You are no good to anyone anymoreBeat me to it. Unless they make shoulder pads with ice, and heat pad inserts your sittin on the bench Niner. Guarding the koolaid. :laugh:

xzn
03-06-2008, 06:08 PM
The concept that we are all going to wake up tomorrow is also "speculation" if you really think on it... just sayin' :-)

Bronco9798
03-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Your shit is broke. You are no good to anyone anymore

Dr appt. tomorrow for my MRI reading. I'll be back at full strength soon!!!!

nj10
03-06-2008, 06:10 PM
I wonder if working out with Champ will make him better. Champ has one hell of a work ethic.

xzn
03-06-2008, 06:14 PM
I wonder if working out with Champ will make him better. Champ has one hell of a work ethic.

You know what, that's a really good point... I think even beyond physically working out there will likely be some additional synergy emotionally for both brothers.

topscribe
03-06-2008, 06:14 PM

In that case, I'd be going to the player's union, if I were you.

I'm sure Gold has been making a lot more than you have . . .

-----

xzn
03-06-2008, 06:15 PM
Can anyone think of another pair of brothers who played together, not just on the same team, but on the same unit?

Off the top of my head I can't think of any...

topscribe
03-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Can anyone think of another pair of brothers who played together, not just on the same team, but on the same unit?

Yes! Me and my . . . oh wait, I don't have a brother.

*damn ginkgo doesn't work*

-----

Drill-N-Fill
03-06-2008, 06:20 PM
What Lion fans thought about Boss...

http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10625

Sounds like they are describing Gold...Can't tackle, can't cover, always out of place. :confused:

Medford Bronco
03-06-2008, 06:21 PM
What Lion fans thought about Boss...

http://www.lionbacker.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10625

Sounds like they are describing Gold...Can't tackle, can't cover, always out of place. :confused:

does it say "gets run over and cant fight off a block" :laugh:

shank
03-06-2008, 06:23 PM
does it say "gets run over and cant fight off a block" :laugh:

gold's bio should just read:

"Whiff!"

shank
03-06-2008, 06:26 PM

i know when kennoy kennedy was here, we brought in his brother during the offseason and he was a DT. bro bro didn't make the team though.

topscribe
03-06-2008, 06:29 PM
gold's bio should just read:

"Whiff!"

C'mon, you guys are a little hard on Gold. It was time for him to go, yes. But
he did once give the Broncos a good linebacker, at least before his injury. And
no one, I don't think, questions his efforts on the field, even if he did come up
short the last couple years.

-----

Medford Bronco
03-06-2008, 06:30 PM
C'mon, you guys are a little hard on Gold. It was time for him to go, yes. But
he did once give the Broncos a good linebacker, at least before his injury. And
no one, I don't think, questions his efforts on the field, even if he did come up
short the last couple years.

-----

Gold was a good player before he left for Tampa,

he was never the same after he came back IMO

atwater27
03-06-2008, 06:30 PM
I am not excited at all about Boss. We basically just signed Ian gold after cutting Ian Gold. It didn't solve anything.

topscribe
03-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Gold was a good player before he left for Tampa,

he was never the same after he came back IMO

That, in essence, is the same thing I said, I thought. :smile:

-----

shank
03-06-2008, 06:39 PM
I am not excited at all about Boss. We basically just signed Ian gold after cutting Ian Gold. It didn't solve anything.

even if boss plays just as bad he's a year younger and his base salary is less...

plus without losing gold, dj wouldn't ever be able to move back to the weakside cause gold can't play any other position on the field.

BOSSHOGG30
03-06-2008, 06:46 PM

Yeah, a bigger Ian Gold and his last name is Bailey and his first name is really cool!

shank
03-06-2008, 06:52 PM
Yeah, a bigger Ian Gold and his last name is Bailey and his first name is really cool!

gold wasn't any more valuable than aluminum, but boss WILL make you mop that shit up!

TXBRONC
03-06-2008, 07:59 PM

Glenn and Lyle Blackwood of the Miami Dolphins. Both were safeties.

TXBRONC
03-06-2008, 08:02 PM

Not exactly, Boss Bailey is SLB which ends any notion of people saying D.J. should be moved back to the Sam linebacker position.

lex
03-07-2008, 12:06 AM

The Miami Dolphins had the Blackwood brothers playing in their secondary back in the day.

BTW, DJs brother currently plays LB at Cal. It would be kind of interesting if we drafted him next year and had Bailey-Bailey to go with Williams-Williams.

BeefStew25
03-07-2008, 12:08 AM
I played against the Greenwood Brothers in high school. They smelled like pine sap.

OB
03-07-2008, 12:13 AM
Maybe he comes in and his big bro teaches him how 2 b one of the best players in your position :pray:

Tned
03-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Maybe he comes in and his big bro teaches him how 2 b one of the best players in your position :pray:

That would be nice.

I've been out of pocket traveling and have to admit I don't know much about Boss Bailey. I look at his stats, and they don't look overly impressive. Is it just an injury thing limiting his time on the field?

What's the story on this guy? Sorry if it has been covered, but as I say, I am traveling and just popping on for a minutes, but will check back sometime tomorrow.

OB
03-07-2008, 12:18 AM
im with ya tned cept 4 the traveling thing - my position is i didnt want 2 read all 11 pages ;)

slim
03-07-2008, 12:18 AM
The Ayandadejo brothers were both in Miami in '03 (I think).

Also, I think the Blades brothers played together in the late '80s (for Seattle)...but I'm not positive.

OB
03-07-2008, 12:26 AM
Were the brothers Widell mentioned (im sure)
Hailing from........HARTFORD CT (thats really what i wanted to say :D )

slim
03-07-2008, 12:31 AM
The Bell bros both played in the NFL...but not on the same team.

lex
03-07-2008, 12:35 AM
The Bell bros both played in the NFL...but not on the same team.

Walter & Eddie Payton
Didnt the Bahr Brothers play at the same time?
Mike and Bob Golic

Lonestar
03-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Had some kicker brothers in the league together.. Can not remember the names one played for MIA for awhile..

lex
03-07-2008, 12:40 AM
Al Wilson

topscribe
03-07-2008, 12:42 AM
Bobby and Dick Anderson played at the same time: Bobby as RB for the
Broncos and Dick as safety for the Dolphins. They both graduated from
Colorado University, too.

Dick was also quite a golfer, and he had to choose between golf and
football, as I remember. Obviously, he opted for football, leaving golf to his
buddy Hale Irwin, who also graduated from CU, and who became a very good
pro.

Have to hand it to Dick. I think I would have gone for golf where people
weren't trying to kill me.

But I ramble . . .

-----

shank
03-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Had some kicker brothers in the league together.. Can not remember the names one played for MIA for awhile..

wasn't there 2 gramaticas?

slim
03-07-2008, 12:44 AM

Gramatica?

shank
03-07-2008, 12:44 AM
Al Wilson

wth lex? stop spamming.

slim
03-07-2008, 12:46 AM
Archie and Ray Griffin played together for the Bengals in the early 80s

shank
03-07-2008, 12:46 AM
Gramatica?

beat you to it!:D

broncosfanscott
03-07-2008, 12:58 AM
i've seen like 6 'al wilson' posts.. tis annoying.

Yeah, I thought I was seeing things for a few seconds. Wait just saw an al wilson post.....where did it go. :confused:

Lonestar
03-07-2008, 01:11 AM
lets get back on BOss please

:focus:

Hoshdude7
03-08-2008, 05:00 PM
So did we sign him or not???

SmilinAssasSin27
03-08-2008, 05:02 PM
yes

Hoshdude7
03-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Do we have any contract details?

SmilinAssasSin27
03-08-2008, 05:06 PM
5 years for @ 17.5mil...if I remember correctly.

lex
03-08-2008, 05:40 PM
I love this signing. Yeah, there are question marks with his health but theres not a lot of guaranteed money and were not exactly breaking the bank on his salary either. We're not paying him THAT much more than we're paying Colbert who may not even crack the starting linuep.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-08-2008, 05:44 PM
And as much as Lions fans dislike him...he's still bigger and better than ian Gold.

Lonestar
03-08-2008, 06:57 PM
And as much as Lions fans dislike him...he's still bigger and better than ian Gold.

Perhaps as fast he had a 4.3 somewhere I saw and can jump ..

Gold coming back to DEN was a HUGE mistake IMO.. We had already replaced him with DJ who got royally screwed in the deal..

SmilinAssasSin27
03-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Yeah...that set us back quite a bit. If we were gonna do that, why not just draft Steven jackson when we had the chance?

Lonestar
03-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Yeah...that set us back quite a bit. If we were gonna do that, why not just draft Steven jackson when we had the chance?

Because mikey was picking..

claymore
03-08-2008, 09:14 PM
My Blood still boils to this day. When Gold came back I remember the day we signed him back from TB. I threw my hat to the ground PISSED OFF! Jackson would have been an all star here.

Npba900
03-09-2008, 01:24 AM

Wait till Shanny passes up Stewart with the 12th pick.:rolleyes: