PDA

View Full Version : Clady hears the criticism

Denver Native (Carol)
01-30-2010, 11:07 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14298558

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Ryan Clady may not say much, but he listens.

Like all the Broncos' offensive linemen, Clady heard criticism from coach Josh McDaniels during the season's final weeks.

While defending the otherwise pedestrian rookie season of highly touted running back Knowshon Moreno, McDaniels said, more than once, the problem was less about the ball carrier and more about the lack of running room provided up front.

"He's the head coach, he's the boss, so you respect what he says," Clady said here this week after an AFC Pro Bowl practice. "As an offensive line, we were disappointed with how we played, especially in the second half of the season. I know we'll improve and be better next year."

In his second NFL season, Clady is already the cornerstone of the Broncos' offensive line. He was selected with the No. 12 overall pick in the 2008 draft to become the left tackle of the Broncos' zone-blocking scheme, and he will be the anchor of the team's pull, trap and power blocking scheme in 2010.

"Clady can play in any system," NFL analyst Ron Jaworski said.

"Whatever works to get us where we need to be, it's fine," Clady said. "I think we'll be able to improve and get better."

The Broncos felt Clady should have made the Pro Bowl as a rookie in 2008, but he still received the honor sooner than most by getting voted in as a starter as a second-year tackle.

"I've watched him on film, and it's no surprise that he's here," New York Jets left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson said. "He's had great years back-to-back. It's always good when you can have a young guy come in and have such an impact."

Just checking.

There are two nose tackles who play in the 3-4 scheme on the AFC Pro Bowl team who are unrestricted free agents — Pittsburgh's Casey Hampton and New England's Vince Wilfork.

Based on what the Broncos ask from their 3-4 nose tackles, Wilfork's style would probably be a better fit for Denver. New England, though, may slap Wilfork with the franchise tag, which could possibly put in play a trade.

Whether through trade or free agency, would Wilfork consider the Broncos and former Patriots assistant McDaniels?

"I'll weigh all my options," he said. "Right now, it's a waiting game."

T.K.O.
01-30-2010, 01:05 PM
i wonder how bellichick feels about marshall ? if we could trade marshall for wilfork and a 3-4th round pick. we could even throw in a scheffler to sweeten the pot....hmmm

broncobryce
01-30-2010, 01:25 PM
i wonder how bellichick feels about marshall ? if we could trade marshall for wilfork and a 3-4th round pick. we could even throw in a scheffler to sweeten the pot....hmmm

Sounds good, but Bellichick probably feels about Marshall the same way McD does. I don't think Bill would like it when Marshall tried to take a practice off due to 'I can't breath in cold weather'.

silkamilkamonico
01-30-2010, 02:49 PM
While defending the otherwise pedestrian rookie season of highly touted running back Knowshon Moreno, McDaniels said, more than once, the problem was less about the ball carrier and more about the lack of running room provided up front.

Well, I sure don't disagree with McDaniels criticizing the oline, but he better not be holding Moreno's hand. I was not impressed at all with Moreno regardless of how the oline played, and this is a guy McDaniels drafted to be a weapon on offense, not a fill in, and he's been anything but.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-30-2010, 02:51 PM
Well, I sure don't disagree with McDaniels criticizing the oline, but he better not be holding Moreno's hand. I was not impressed at all with Moreno regardless of how the oline played, and this is a guy McDaniels drafted to be a weapon on offense, not a fill in, and he's been anything but.

I say let's wait and see what/if changes are made to the OL first - that will be a better way to judge Moreno.

T.K.O.
01-30-2010, 02:54 PM

it drove me crazy when he would stop at the line to find a hole,when we needed 2 yards,he played fairly well for the most part but seems to be looking for the big play when a pounding 2-3 yd run would suffice.
i think that will come with a little more experience though.and he does have potential.i hope he bulks up a bit and works on pounding the ball in short yardage situations.
that combined with improved blocking and we should have a 1200-1500 yrd back on our hands.:beer: