PDA

View Full Version : Martindale is close to Ryan...interesting read

Ravage!!!
01-30-2010, 10:54 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14298690

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Don Martindale notified the hostess he and his son would be ready for a table, just as soon as his good friend and mentor joined him.

A minute or two later, Rex Ryan stepped up to the Pro Bowl hotel restaurant, ready for lunch. By the looks of them, Martindale and Ryan weren't going to be ordering watercress salads.

Was Ryan, who is now head coach of the defensive-oriented New York Jets, surprised that Martindale was promoted to his first NFL defensive coordinator gig by the Broncos?

"No," Ryan said. "He's not a first-year guy. He's been with the Ryan family forever."

"I've been with the Ryans for about 12 years," Martindale said. "It's that type of mentality, get guys playing hard. Schematically, you don't tip what you're going to do. But mostly, I know our guys are going to play hard, and we're going to be fun to watch."

If the Mannings — Archie, Peyton and Eli — are the first family of quarterbacks, the Ryans — Buddy, Rex and Rob — are the most prominent tribe of NFL defenses.

Martindale is part of the Ryan family. He may work directly for Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels now, but much of his defensive coaching education came from the Ryans. Martindale was part of Rex Ryan's defensive staff at the University of Cincinnati in 1996-97 and coached linebackers for Rob Ryan with the Oakland Raiders from 2004-08.

"Wink's going to be great, no question," Ryan said. "I told him he can finish second in the league."

The numbers say Ryan is the best defensive coach around. His Jets ranked No. 1 in total defense this past season, while his previous team, the Baltimore Ravens, ranked No. 2 in 2008.

The Broncos were No. 1 through six games in 2009 with Mike Nolan as defensive coordinator and Martindale as linebackers coach. But the Broncos' defensive performance fell precipitously in the final 10 games.

Showing he already has one vital characteristic of becoming a quality defensive coordinator, Martindale doesn't pretend to know more than anyone else.

"It's hard to pinpoint one thing," said Martindale, who is here at the Pro Bowl as a guest of the prominent linebacker he coached this year, Elvis Dumervil. "If I had all the answers, we wouldn't have had that problem. I think it was the accumulation of things as a team. Just coming together, and staying together and working in unison. We saw that formula works. We saw that in the beginning of the year."

In the 3-4 defensive system, Ryan and Martindale trust. And yes, Martindale knows how to scheme the famed "46" defense devised by Buddy, the Ryan patriarch, in the mid- 1980s with the Chicago Bears.

"Mike used to always give me guff. Every time we'd go into a game, he'd say, 'OK, Rex,' " Martindale said.

Mike Nolan is another common link between Rex Ryan and Martindale. Nolan was the Baltimore Ravens' defensive coordinator until he left in 2005 to become head coach in San Francisco. His job in Baltimore was filled by Ryan.

Nolan returned to Denver and the defensive coordinator position in 2009, until he left two weeks ago to take the same position with the Miami Dolphins. His job with the Broncos was filled by Martindale.

Oftentimes, an awkward strain can develop in a relationship when an underling succeeds his boss. Not so between Nolan and Martindale.

"He called and congratulated me," Martindale said. "I told him I was glad he left so I could take his job."

Martindale smiled. It sounded like something Rex Ryan would say.

broncobryce
01-30-2010, 12:11 PM
This is good news. I didn't like Rex Ryan at first but the job he did speaks for itself. If we can get that attitude on this defense, that is a good start.

DenBronx
01-30-2010, 01:53 PM
All the Ryans do well. This could be good news. I hope we stick with the 3-4 though and keep ED as an OLB.

Ziggy
01-30-2010, 02:28 PM
McD has said that we will have the same system and continue to be aggressive. The only 2 questions are......will our Dline be improved over the offseason, and will Elvis be a Bronco on opening day 2010?

HORSEPOWER 56
01-30-2010, 02:30 PM
All the Ryans do well. This could be good news. I hope we stick with the 3-4 though and keep ED as an OLB.

I don't think it will be an issue keeping the 3-4. McDaniels favors it and that's why he brought in Nolan to install it in the first place. Elvis will either play OLB here or somewhere else. I doubt he'd ever be converted back to a 4-3 DE after being this successful in this scheme.

TXBRONC
01-30-2010, 03:41 PM
This is good news. I didn't like Rex Ryan at first but the job he did speaks for itself. If we can get that attitude on this defense, that is a good start.

Our defense doesn't lack a good attitude it lacks talent and some depth.

smith49
01-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Our defense doesn't lack a good attitude it lacks talent and some depth.

especially on the line. but im not saying anything we all dont allready know.

broncohead
01-31-2010, 12:33 AM
McD has said that we will have the same system and continue to be aggressive. The only 2 questions are......will our Dline be improved over the offseason, and will Elvis be a Bronco on opening day 2010?

I wouldn't be surprised if we switched to a conservative 3-4. McD may have said we will keep the same system but why would a coach give his hand before the draft and FA even if he did plan to change?

GEM
01-31-2010, 09:25 AM
I like the fact that Martindale is at the Pro Bowl as Doom's guest. It says a lot about what the players think of him.

spikerman
01-31-2010, 01:12 PM
I don't know whether Martindale has what it takes or not, but I am happy that McDaniels didn't hire another Pats' retread. I'm anxious to see what Martindale can do with the defense. It can't hurt that he learned under the Ryans; however, it does make me wonder why Rex Ryan didn't bring him in as the Jets' Defensive Coordinator since they're so close.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-31-2010, 01:24 PM
I don't know whether Martindale has what it takes or not, but I am happy that McDaniels didn't hire another Pats' retread. I'm anxious to see what Martindale can do with the defense. It can't hurt that he learned under the Ryans; however, it does make me wonder why Rex Ryan didn't bring him in as the Jets' Defensive Coordinator since they're so close.

Possibly Ryan was satisfied with the DC he inherited, and did feel there was any reason to replace him, just because Ryan was close to Martindale. The Jets had a very good defense.

atwater27
01-31-2010, 01:26 PM
One thing's for sure... If the defense fails under Martindale, you can blame McD directly. He has made it clear as day that running a good defense isn't what matters, but being a good little lemming coordinator does. Just ask Miami's new DC.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-31-2010, 01:40 PM
One thing's for sure... If the defense fails under Martindale, you can blame McD directly. He has made it clear as day that running a good defense isn't what matters, but being a good little lemming coordinator does. Just ask Miami's new DC.

Other than your opinion, do you have any thing to back this up??????

atwater27
01-31-2010, 01:44 PM
Well hold on a second there. Why don't you tell me why Nolan left.

spikerman
01-31-2010, 01:44 PM
Possibly Ryan was satisfied with the DC he inherited, and did feel there was any reason to replace him, just because Ryan was close to Martindale. The Jets had a very good defense.

That makes sense and I hope it's the case. If Martindale can work miracles with this defense (like Nolan did for half the season) then it will prove to be a terrific hire.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-31-2010, 02:11 PM

I don't have the slightest idea as to what the TRUE reasons were - therefore, I am NOT going to state anything in regards to this based on my OPINION only.

atwater27
01-31-2010, 02:28 PM
I don't have the slightest idea as to what the TRUE reasons were - therefore, I am NOT going to state anything in regards to this based on my OPINION only.
Not just my opinion ma'am.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/20/report-mcdaniels-told-nolan-there-would-be-less-blitzing/

But 5280 hit it right on the head...

Why Defensive Coordinator Mike Nolan Left the Broncos

What is it about the Denver Broncos that keeps them in the headlines for all the wrong reasons? The latest iteration of drama derives from the fact that defensive coordinator Mike Nolan and head coach Josh McDaniels have “mutually agreed to part ways,” writes The Denver Post.

Nolan (right) was in town just one year and seemingly turned an ailing defense around. Nobody believed he could change the team’s fundamental defensive philosophy (from a 4-3 to a 3-4) in one season, but that’s exactly what Nolan did.

The Post cites “an NFL source” who says the two coaches never argued—even as the team’s performance waned after a 6-0 start to finish 8-8—but over time, the philosophies of the two coaches began to clash. McDaniels wants autonomous control over everything, and Nolan wanted to run the defensive squad and make personnel decisions.

Nolan will now take his considerable skills to another team, most likely the Miami Dolphins, reports The Miami Herald.
Multiple reports say McDaniels wants to bring former New England defensive coordinator Dean Pees to Denver, making him the fifth defensive coordinator for the team in five years. Pees led the Patriots’ defense to a decent 11th-place overall finish last year, compared to Nolan’s seventh-place overall (via NFL.com).

The move reinforces McDaniels’ reputation as an autocrat who has to be surrounded by yes-men and loyalists. Beyond this being the third coach to leave McDaniels’ staff recently—following running backs coach Bobby Turner and offensive line coach Rick Dennison—it shows more inconsistency in a team that desperately needs some.
http://www.5280.com/blog/?p=24728

Denver Native (Carol)
01-31-2010, 02:39 PM
What you posted is based on the famous word "source" - this time an "NFL source", and I heard the following - based on "rumors", which I posted yesterday in another thread:

"I have no idea if there is any substance to the following, but last week, Cecil Lammey of footballguys.com, was on with Mike Evans on the Fan. He said rumors about Nolan were floating around the Senior Bowl - i.e.

"Mike Nolan may have gotten a little too big for his britches after the 6-0 start - the halftime adjustments, and Nolan may have been getting too big of a head reading his own press clippings"

Again, I have no idea if there is any substance in this."

So, depending which side of the fence someone is on, they can come up with input from unnamed "sources", or input based on "rumors".

atwater27
01-31-2010, 02:44 PM
What you posted is based on the famous word "source" - this time an "NFL source", and I heard the following - based on "rumors", which I posted yesterday in another thread:

"I have no idea if there is any substance to the following, but last week, Cecil Lammey of footballguys.com, was on with Mike Evans on the Fan. He said rumors about Nolan were floating around the Senior Bowl - i.e.

"Mike Nolan may have gotten a little too big for his britches after the 6-0 start - the halftime adjustments, and Nolan may have been getting too big of a head reading his own press clippings"

Again, I have no idea if there is any substance in this."

So, depending which side of the fence someone is on, they can come up with input from unnamed "sources", or input based on "rumors".

I am not sure what point you are trying to make. What I am sure of is that Nolan is no longer DC after one season. One of the few things in my opinion McDaniels did right; has gone wrong. And the sad thing is, he left not to be promoted, but for a lateral position. Hmmmm. Must have been real happy working with McDaniels.

T.K.O.
01-31-2010, 02:49 PM
it has also been said that the broncos were fairly sure that the dolphins had tampered...by contacting nolan without permission.so mcD set a meeting and asked nolan if he wanted to stay in denver or go to miami....nolan said he wanted to meet with them and mcd said "go for it"
maybe the 2 guys dont like each other and as stated many times "mutually agreed to part ways"
why is that so hard to believe,and why does that make it the fault of one or the other ?
the only way to win in the nfl is for the ENTIRE team and staff to be working together for a common goal.
when it becomes about 1 or 2 players or coaches not being on the same page you end up with.....the raiders.

atwater27
01-31-2010, 02:55 PM
Hey, the defense went from 29th to 7th in one season with questionable talent and a change to a 3-4. If I am head coach with that kind of PHENOMENAL production, I bend over backwards to keep that guy... Pay him more give him more control of the D, WHATEVER. I wonder what, if anything, young Joshua offered to keep Mike Nolan. Obviously whatever he did worked.

spikerman
01-31-2010, 02:56 PM
the only way to win in the nfl is for the ENTIRE team and staff to be working together for a common goal.
when it becomes about 1 or 2 players or coaches not being on the same page you end up with.....the raiders.
It's true that they all have to be working toward the same goal and I don't think there is any evidence that Nolan was trying to do anything other than win - which I assume is what McDaniels was trying to do also. That being said, they don't have to like each other to pull this off. It's well known that Buddy Ryan and Mike Ditka disliked each other during the '85 Super Bowl year. My guess is that on every team there are players and coaches who don't like each other.

If it becomes such an issue that it affects performance than someone has to go. I'm not sure if that's what happened, but something is certainly fishy here. Oh well, Nolan is gone, Denver has a new DC, it's time to look forward I guess.

atwater27
01-31-2010, 02:59 PM
It's true that they all have to be working toward the same goal and I don't think there is any evidence that Nolan was trying to do anything other than win - which I assume is what McDaniels was trying to do also. That being said, they don't have to like each other to pull this off. It's well known that Buddy Ryan and Mike Ditka disliked each other during the '85 Super Bowl year. My guess is that on every team there are players and coaches who don't like each other.

If it becomes such an issue that it affects performance than someone has to go. I'm not sure if that's what happened, but something is certainly fishy here. Oh well, Nolan is gone, Denver has a new DC, it's time to look forward I guess.

Sadly, that's all we can do is look to the future. But this move hardly inspires confidence of a good future.

spikerman
01-31-2010, 03:01 PM
It seems like forever since Denver has had a controversy-free offseason.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-31-2010, 03:01 PM
I am not sure what point you are trying to make. What I am sure of is that Nolan is no longer DC after one season. One of the few things in my opinion McDaniels did right; has gone wrong. And the sad thing is, he left not to be promoted, but for a lateral position. Hmmmm. Must have been real happy working with McDaniels.

First - the article in 5280 was posted by a "blogger" - OH, that DEFINITELY gives the article CREDITIBILITY :rolleyes:

And there is no way to tell if Martindale will do a better or worse job than Nolan did, until we see results, either positive or negative. Nolan may have PREFERRED to be in Miami around people he was familiar with in the organization - NOTHING MORE THAN THAT.

Nomad
01-31-2010, 03:04 PM
It seems like forever since Denver has had a controversy-free offseason.

It is getting old!! When was the last time all Denver had to do is focus on FA and the draft??

atwater27
01-31-2010, 03:08 PM
First - the article in 5280 was posted by a "blogger" - OH, that DEFINITELY gives the article CREDITIBILITY :rolleyes:

And there is no way to tell if Martindale will do a better or worse job than Nolan did, until we see results, either positive or negative. Nolan may have PREFERRED to be in Miami around people he was familiar with in the organization - NOTHING MORE THAN THAT.

What is your problem with opinions and blogs? You realize this is a mostly opinion driven and bloggish site in itself. And I sincerely hope Martindale is able to build on Nolan's success. Doesn't mean it is a realistic hope. Shoulda kept Nolan at any cost.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-31-2010, 03:14 PM
What is your problem with opinions and blogs? You realize this is a mostly opinion driven and bloggish site in itself. And I sincerely hope Martindale is able to build on Nolan's success. Doesn't mean it is a realistic hope. Shoulda kept Nolan at any cost.

Opinions and blogs do not equal FACTS. That is my point. Just like I posted the rumors that Cecil Lammey said were spreading around the Senior Bowl in regards to Nolan - but I also stated that I have no idea if there is any substance to the rumors or not.

atwater27
01-31-2010, 03:20 PM
Well I got a fact for ya. We had the number 7 defense in the NFL with Nolan.
And we let him go.

titan
01-31-2010, 03:56 PM
Well I got a fact for ya. We had the number 7 defense in the NFL with Nolan.
And we let him go.

Other facts:

In the season's final week the Broncos defense gave up 317 yards rushing, an average of 9.1 per carry, to a 3-12 team (the KC Chiefs) in a game they had to win to have a shot at the playoffs.

Two weeks earlier the Broncos defense gave up 241 yards rushing, an average of 7.1 yards per carry, to a 4-9 team (the Oakland Raiders)

=====

I wanted Nolan to stay, too, but the "7th ranked defense" is a misleading ranking - how did the defense perform in the critical games in the season's final weeks?

I'm not sure if Martindale wlll be any better of a coordinator with the same set of players, but I'm anxious to see what personnel changes McDaniels makes on the defense this offseason. Last season he hit the jackpot with his defense free agent signings (pro bowler dawkins, solid safety in Hill, solid corner in Goodman, solid linebacker in Andre Davis - all considered cast offs by their previous teams)

rcsodak
01-31-2010, 09:46 PM

Don't you ever get tired of saying the same thing over....and over.....and over.....and over.....and over....and over....and over.....and over.....

:coffee:

rcsodak
01-31-2010, 09:48 PM

Why ask?

It's been reported by people "in the know", ad nauseum.

And yet you STILL chime in with your own conspiracy theories.

.....and on...

.....and on...

.....and on...

rcsodak
01-31-2010, 09:54 PM
Not just my opinion ma'am.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/20/report-mcdaniels-told-nolan-there-would-be-less-blitzing/

But 5280 hit it right on the head...

Why Defensive Coordinator Mike Nolan Left the Broncos

What is it about the Denver Broncos that keeps them in the headlines for all the wrong reasons? The latest iteration of drama derives from the fact that defensive coordinator Mike Nolan and head coach Josh McDaniels have “mutually agreed to part ways,” writes The Denver Post.

Nolan (right) was in town just one year and seemingly turned an ailing defense around. Nobody believed he could change the team’s fundamental defensive philosophy (from a 4-3 to a 3-4) in one season, but that’s exactly what Nolan did.

The Post cites “an NFL source” who says the two coaches never argued—even as the team’s performance waned after a 6-0 start to finish 8-8—but over time, the philosophies of the two coaches began to clash. McDaniels wants autonomous control over everything, and Nolan wanted to run the defensive squad and make personnel decisions.

Nolan will now take his considerable skills to another team, most likely the Miami Dolphins, reports The Miami Herald.
Multiple reports say McDaniels wants to bring former New England defensive coordinator Dean Pees to Denver, making him the fifth defensive coordinator for the team in five years. Pees led the Patriots’ defense to a decent 11th-place overall finish last year, compared to Nolan’s seventh-place overall (via NFL.com).

The move reinforces McDaniels’ reputation as an autocrat who has to be surrounded by yes-men and loyalists. Beyond this being the third coach to leave McDaniels’ staff recently—following running backs coach Bobby Turner and offensive line coach Rick Dennison—it shows more inconsistency in a team that desperately needs some.
http://www.5280.com/blog/?p=24728

IF they were so damn smart, then how'd they miss on Pees?

I'll guarantee if a HC and a DC don't agree on a scheme, philosophy, the HC has the upper hand.

But only a McD hater would see that as bad.

I'm sure you'd rather have seen Nolan's defense giving up 200+yds rushing again next year...THEN you could have been decrying how Nolan was McD's pick.

rcsodak
01-31-2010, 09:57 PM
Hey, the defense went from 29th to 7th in one season with questionable talent and a change to a 3-4. If I am head coach with that kind of PHENOMENAL production, I bend over backwards to keep that guy... Pay him more give him more control of the D, WHATEVER. I wonder what, if anything, young Joshua offered to keep Mike Nolan. Obviously whatever he did worked.

Maybe you should go back and WATCH the defense again.

Yes, they ended up top 10, but that's only because of how they started.

Top 10 defenses don't give up the yardages the Broncos did in the 2nd half of the season.

This is when "stats" DO lie.

rcsodak
01-31-2010, 10:02 PM

Nolan's a Parcells guy.

Nolan misses the warmth.

Nolan misses the beaches.

Nolan misses the ocean.

Nolan misses having a defense already intact so he can just 'maintain'.

Nolan misses Shamu.

atwater27
01-31-2010, 10:04 PM

Top 10 defenses don't give up the yardages the Broncos did in the 2nd half of the season.

We simply don't have the talent yet GUY. If you have a problem with going from 29th to 7th, i don't know what to tell you.

atwater27
01-31-2010, 10:06 PM
Wow, what a response. Do you think these guys that are swarming on me realize I am defending a McDaniels hire? Is it OK to defend a guy that McDaniels hired to lead the defense? Does that right to defend a McDaniels coordinator end the second he leaves town? I need someone to explain the rules to me.

atwater27
01-31-2010, 10:20 PM
Don't you ever get tired of saying the same thing over....and over.....and over.....and over.....and over....and over....and over.....and over.....

well i can clearly see who took over where MB left off.:laugh::lol::rofl:

rcsodak
02-01-2010, 11:21 PM
We simply don't have the talent yet GUY. If you have a problem with going from 29th to 7th, i don't know what to tell you.

They also didn't have a QB that was putting them behind the 8ball constantly.

Don't put words in my mouth, GUY.

Again, top 10 defenses don't give up the yardage that they did in the 2nd half of the season.

STATS LIE!

rcsodak
02-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Wow, what a response. Do you think these guys that are swarming on me realize I am defending a McDaniels hire? Is it OK to defend a guy that McDaniels hired to lead the defense? Does that right to defend a McDaniels coordinator end the second he leaves town? I need someone to explain the rules to me.

Oh really?

Looked to me like you're bashing the guy that did the hiring!

Oh wait...

YOU WERE! :coffee:

atwater27
02-02-2010, 01:35 AM
Oh really?

Looked to me like you're bashing the guy that did the hiring!

Oh wait...

YOU WERE! :coffee:

I was? I was defending his hire. Mike Nolan. Yes is no. Up is down. Rc is sodak.

atwater27
02-02-2010, 01:37 AM
They also didn't have a QB that was putting them behind the 8ball constantly.

Don't put words in my mouth, GUY.

Again, top 10 defenses don't give up the yardage that they did in the 2nd half of the season.

STATS LIE!

If you use your own logic you would be calling for McDaniels head for starting fast and ending weak.:beer:

Lonestar
02-02-2010, 09:26 PM

here are the stats

week rushing/passing/total OPPonent W/L
1 86/221/307 bengals W
2 54/146/200 browns W
3 95/42/137 OAK W
4 74/241/315 DAL W
5 96/209/305 NE W
6 73/238/311 SAN W
8 125/167/292 BAL L
9 173/202/375 PIT L
10 174/214/388 WAS L
11 203/145/348 SAN L
12 57/210/267 NYG W
13 94/128/222 KC W
14 92/220/312 IND L
15 241/102/343 OAK L
16 70/171/241 PHL L

17 371/207/524 KC L

If anyone will notice that the games that we held them to 100 yards or less on the ground we held our own and won most of them.

PHL we would moast likely won that one but allowed Mc Nabb to pick up a 3rd and 23 with a 30 scramble.

The Broncos pushed the Colts to the brink, but a series of blunders kept the team from pulling off the road win.