PDA

View Full Version : Mike Shanahan to soon own Yahoo?

lex
03-04-2008, 01:45 PM
http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/mar/04/shanahan-denies-spying-allegation/

atwater27
03-04-2008, 01:46 PM
good. it was probably the creep from PFT

NightTrainLayne
03-04-2008, 01:48 PM
Good for him. I'm glad to hear the NFL has his back on this.

GEM
03-04-2008, 01:57 PM
It was probably WTE....:laugh: He called Yahoo and made a grand afternoon out of it. LMAO!

jhns
03-04-2008, 01:57 PM
If it did happen, good. They didn't and now won't take any action. Plus, who cares if people cheat against the Chargers?

I really don't think it is true. I just really don't care if it is.

OB
03-04-2008, 02:27 PM
I liked the comments made by others more than the article :lol:

Seriously werent these allegations based on when the chargers were a totally suck ass team - so why would we even bother :confused:

I say SUE EM Mike!!!!!!!

Hoshdude7
03-04-2008, 05:28 PM
It was probably WTE....:laugh: He called Yahoo and made a grand afternoon out of it. LMAO!

I was gonna post that. :s:

frauschieze
03-04-2008, 08:50 PM
I liked the comments made by others more than the article :lol:

This one made me laugh then :tsk:

I BELIEVE that Shanahan did not look @ tape of the San Diego Chargers. I also believe that he does not look at tape of available Free Agents. And I ALSO Believe that he does not look at any tape of any Rookie Draft Class prospects. I think he's watching Barney repeats, based on the state of the team.

MOtorboat
03-04-2008, 08:52 PM

Well...if that's what Shanahan is doing, can you imagine what the coaches of the Raiders/Lions/Bengals/Browns/Chiefs have been doing for the last 15 years?

frauschieze
03-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Well...if that's what Shanahan is doing, can you imagine what the coaches of the Raiders/Lions/Bengals/Browns/Chiefs have been doing for the last 15 years?

Something involving thumbs and colons is my guess.

Dean
03-04-2008, 09:33 PM

I also laughed at the Barney re-runs comment.:D

Nature Boy
03-04-2008, 11:18 PM
I hope Coach Shanahan is not pulling a Roger Clemens.

Nature Boy
03-04-2008, 11:24 PM
I don't believe Yahoo either. Cause had Coach Shanahan really been taping the Chargers practices, the Broncos wouldn't get trounced on 40-3, and 39-3 in back to back games. Exact score is not correct but you know that.

atwater27
03-05-2008, 04:28 AM
PFT strikes again. I so want to kick him in the nuts.

POSTED 9:32 p.m. EST, March 4, 2008

YAHOO! CAVES TO COACH KEVLAR

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan can no longer deny it. He is, we believe, a closet member of PFT Planet.

How do we know this? On September 13, 2007, Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reported that Shanahan "had been hiring spies to videotape the Chargers practices."

But from September through October, November, December, and January, Shanahan didn't react.

On February 23, we wrote an item that mentioned the Cole article. And "in recent days" Shanahan has demanded a retraction and apology from Yahoo! via letters from his lawyer, Harvey Steinberg.

Coincidentally, Harvey Steinberg also represented Broncos running back Travis Henry in his 2007 battle with the league over drug testing.

Steinberg seems to be setting the stage for a defamation lawsuit against Yahoo!, by claiming that Cole's alleged failure to contact Shanahan for comment constitutes "actual malice or reckless disregard for the truth," either of which is a necessary ingredient in a claim for defamation brought by a public figure.

Apparently, Yahoo! has taken notice. The article no longer contains reference to the allegations in question, and the following paragraph appears at the top of the item:

"Editors' note: We have eliminated a paragraph in this story that, upon review, does not meet the editorial standards of Yahoo! Sports. We took immediate action to eliminate the content from our site as soon as we became aware of this matter."

The prompt retraction by Yahoo! might be enough to placate Shanahan. But if he chooses to file suit, he needs to realize that his coaching life would be an open book, and that Yahoo!'s lawyers would engage in aggressive discovery about anything and everything of an allegedly questionable nature that Shanahan might have ever done. We're not saying that he's ever done anything questionable or otherwise (we don't yet have the budget for a team of lawyers), but if he were to sue Yahoo!, the Internet giant would be entitled to dig into every nook and cranny of Shanahan's life in order to determine whether the allegation is true and/or whether Shanahan has engaged in other activities that might have done equal or greater damage to his reputation.

Our guess is that the matter is over. And, frankly, the problem might never had popped up if we hadn't mentioned the five-month-old article a week or so ago

lex
03-05-2008, 09:59 AM
PFT strikes again. I so want to kick him in the nuts.

POSTED 9:32 p.m. EST, March 4, 2008

YAHOO! CAVES TO COACH KEVLAR

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan can no longer deny it. He is, we believe, a closet member of PFT Planet.

How do we know this? On September 13, 2007, Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reported that Shanahan "had been hiring spies to videotape the Chargers practices."

But from September through October, November, December, and January, Shanahan didn't react.

On February 23, we wrote an item that mentioned the Cole article. And "in recent days" Shanahan has demanded a retraction and apology from Yahoo! via letters from his lawyer, Harvey Steinberg.

Coincidentally, Harvey Steinberg also represented Broncos running back Travis Henry in his 2007 battle with the league over drug testing.

Steinberg seems to be setting the stage for a defamation lawsuit against Yahoo!, by claiming that Cole's alleged failure to contact Shanahan for comment constitutes "actual malice or reckless disregard for the truth," either of which is a necessary ingredient in a claim for defamation brought by a public figure.

Apparently, Yahoo! has taken notice. The article no longer contains reference to the allegations in question, and the following paragraph appears at the top of the item:

"Editors' note: We have eliminated a paragraph in this story that, upon review, does not meet the editorial standards of Yahoo! Sports. We took immediate action to eliminate the content from our site as soon as we became aware of this matter."

The prompt retraction by Yahoo! might be enough to placate Shanahan. But if he chooses to file suit, he needs to realize that his coaching life would be an open book, and that Yahoo!'s lawyers would engage in aggressive discovery about anything and everything of an allegedly questionable nature that Shanahan might have ever done. We're not saying that he's ever done anything questionable or otherwise (we don't yet have the budget for a team of lawyers), but if he were to sue Yahoo!, the Internet giant would be entitled to dig into every nook and cranny of Shanahan's life in order to determine whether the allegation is true and/or whether Shanahan has engaged in other activities that might have done equal or greater damage to his reputation.
Our guess is that the matter is over. And, frankly, the problem might never had popped up if we hadn't mentioned the five-month-old article a week or so ago

I question how much of this is true. Shanahan has to prove that these specific allegations are not true and since the league has already verified that certian claims in the story are false, that should weigh in his favor considerably. Plus, now theyre removing a part of the story. Shanahan has the burden to prove that its not true by the preponderence of the evidence, no? Everything else that PFT seems to be referring to isnt really relevant to that and it seems like its really wishful thinking on their part to have material to further their axe grinding.

Drill-N-Fill
03-06-2008, 05:31 PM
YAHOO!, SHANAHAN FLAP OFFICIALLY OVER

With the Tuesday night retraction of a paragraph from a September 13, 2007 story that accused Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan of spying on Chargers practices and a Wednesday apology from Yahoo! Sports, the brouhaha is over.

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

The problem came to light not long after we posted a February 23, 2008 item regarding the five-month-old article from Jason Cole. On February 26, Shanahan's lawyer demanded a retraction and an apology. He got both.

The apology read as follows: "We apologize for any embarrassment that the Sept. 13, 2007 Yahoo! Sports story 'Ancient Antics' has caused for Mike Shanahan. Yahoo! has retracted the segment of the story that asserted that Mike Shanahan was involved in cheating as the Denver Broncos coach. Yahoo! has stringent editorial standards in place to prevent this type of error, and we regret the lapse in our protocol that allowed this to happen."

Attorney Harvey Steinberg said on Wednesday that the matter is resolved.

"He appreciates the acknowledgement, the retraction and the apology by Yahoo and considers this matter over,'' Steinberg said, according to the Rocky Mountain News.

It's unknown whether Yahoo! Sports has taken or will take any action against Cole. His most recent article was posted on March 4, 2008, regarding the retirement of Brett Favre.

lex
03-07-2008, 01:06 AM
YAHOO!, SHANAHAN FLAP OFFICIALLY OVER

With the Tuesday night retraction of a paragraph from a September 13, 2007 story that accused Denver Broncos coach Mike Shanahan of spying on Chargers practices and a Wednesday apology from Yahoo! Sports, the brouhaha is over.

Well, it was fun while it lasted.

The problem came to light not long after we posted a February 23, 2008 item regarding the five-month-old article from Jason Cole. On February 26, Shanahan's lawyer demanded a retraction and an apology. He got both.

The apology read as follows: "We apologize for any embarrassment that the Sept. 13, 2007 Yahoo! Sports story 'Ancient Antics' has caused for Mike Shanahan. Yahoo! has retracted the segment of the story that asserted that Mike Shanahan was involved in cheating as the Denver Broncos coach. Yahoo! has stringent editorial standards in place to prevent this type of error, and we regret the lapse in our protocol that allowed this to happen."

Attorney Harvey Steinberg said on Wednesday that the matter is resolved.

"He appreciates the acknowledgement, the retraction and the apology by Yahoo and considers this matter over,'' Steinberg said, according to the Rocky Mountain News.

It's unknown whether Yahoo! Sports has taken or will take any action against Cole. His most recent article was posted on March 4, 2008, regarding the retirement of Brett Favre.

Shanahan should have pulled a Costanza and made his last remaining condition be that Jason Cole be fired.