PDA

View Full Version : Broncos New DC (MERGED)

titan
01-28-2010, 01:47 PM
From Vic Lombardi:

VicLombardi
11:34am, Jan 28 from Web
Just got confirmation...Martindale is the Broncos new Defensive Coordinator.

titan
01-28-2010, 01:51 PM
more ...

Broncos name Martindale defensive coordinator
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
UPDATED: 01/28/2010 11:40:39 AM MST

The Broncos officially promoted Don "Wink" Martindale from linebackers coach to defensive coordinator today.

Martindale becomes the Broncos' fifth defensive coordinator in five years.

He succeeds Mike Nolan, who left after one season and now is defensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins.

"Wink definitely deserves this," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "He's earned this opportunity. Our system won't change, our philosophy won't change. He's a very aggressive coach. This is a great day for the Denver Broncos."

Martindale, 46, is an Ohio native. He's been a linebackers coach since arriving in the NFL in 2004 with the Oakland Raiders. He was last a defensive coordinator in 2003 at Western Kentucky.

Wednesday, several Broncos in Miami for the Pro Bowl, gave Martindale a ringing endorsement.

"I very much can see him as a defensive coordinator," safety Brian Dawkins said. "A lot of what they asked me to do this year as a true strong safety, the film study I went through at that position, a lot of that came from him."

It would not be enough, though, for Martindale to do a good job in his first year as Denver's defensive coordinator. The Broncos need him to do a better job than Nolan did. No small task, considering the Broncos improved from 30th in defensive scoring under Slowik in 2008 to 12th in 2009.

"You can't measure how much you miss somebody until the season starts and see how much you improve from what you were," Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey said.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_14286824#ixzz0dvzm1ING

Denver Native (Carol)
01-28-2010, 01:52 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_14286824

The Broncos officially promoted Don "Wink" Martindale from linebackers coach to defensive coordinator today.

Martindale becomes the Broncos' fifth defensive coordinator in five years.

He succeeds Mike Nolan, who left after one season and now is defensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins.

"Wink definitely deserves this," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "He's earned this opportunity. Our system won't change, our philosophy won't change. He's a very aggressive coach. This is a great day for the Denver Broncos."

Martindale, 46, is an Ohio native. He's been a linebackers coach since arriving in the NFL in 2004 with the Oakland Raiders. He was last a defensive coordinator in 2003 at Western Kentucky.

Wednesday, several Broncos in Miami for the Pro Bowl, gave Martindale a ringing endorsement.

"I very much can see him as a defensive coordinator," safety Brian Dawkins said. "A lot of what they asked me to do this year as a true strong safety, the film study I went through at that position, a lot of that came from him."

It would not be enough, though, for Martindale to do a good job in his first year as Denver's defensive coordinator. The Broncos need him to do a better job than Nolan did. No small task, considering the Broncos improved from 30th in defensive scoring under Slowik in 2008 to 12th in 2009.

"You can't measure how much you miss somebody until the season starts and see how much you improve from what you were," Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey said.

Ziggy
01-28-2010, 01:56 PM
I would have been happy with either him or Pees. I just hope that he can stay for a few years to give us some stability at that coaching position. I'm glad that the Broncos will remain an aggressive D.

arapaho2
01-28-2010, 01:56 PM
FINALY!!! something positive from josh

Northman
01-28-2010, 01:58 PM
Our system won't change, our philosophy won't change.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, couldnt resist.

shank
01-28-2010, 02:06 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry, couldnt resist.

:confused:

sorry, couldn't resist.

claymore
01-28-2010, 02:16 PM
I pray he is good.

titan
01-28-2010, 02:19 PM
Meet Don Martindale, Denver’s new DC
By LINDSAY JONES

It’s official: Don Martindale is the Broncos new defensive coordinator.

Martindale, who goes by the nickname “Wink”, becomes the Broncos’ fifth defensive coordinator in as many years.

This is a move that will go over very well in the locker room. Wink is well liked by his players, and several had endorsed him for the defensive coordinator job as soon as the job came open about 10 days ago. I asked a linebacker earlier this week to explain why Martindale was a good choice. Here’s what he said:

“Everything. He’s smart, he knows football. He does his research, listens. He’s firm, he has us prepared. Just a good coach.”

But the casual Broncos fan might still be wondering, “Who?”

Unlike the Broncos previous defensive coordinator, Mike Nolan, Martindale isn’t a big NFL name. So here’s a primer on the man who will be calling the Broncos defense in 2010.

Don Martindale

Hometown: Trotwood, Ohio

Education: Defiance College, Ohio (bachelors degree in business education)

Coaching background: After several years coaching at the high school level in Ohio, Martindale spent a decade as a college coach (Notre Dame, defensive assistant 1994-95; Cincinnati, defensive ends, linebackers/special teams 1996-1998; Western Illinois defensive coordinator 1999; Western Kentucky linebackers, defensive coordinator 2001-2003). He got his first NFL job in 2004 in Oakland, and he coached the Raiders’ linebackers through 2008. He joined coach Josh McDaniels’ staff a year ago.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/01/28/meet-don-martindale-denvers-new-dc/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+dp-blogs-broncos+%28Denver+Post%3A+Sports%3A+Broncos%3A+Blo g%29

broncofaninfla
01-28-2010, 02:27 PM
I like this selection, he was a hell of a LB coach with the Raiders and our group last year was much improved. He is well respected through out the league. I'm glad we chose him over Pee's.

I wonder who our new LB coach will be?

Shazam!
01-28-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm glad they got who the players wanted.

claymore
01-28-2010, 03:32 PM

HONOLULU — Champ Bailey believes Bob Slowik is the right man to run the Broncos' defense.

In fact, Bailey has believed that for a year.

"To tell the truth, I think this is a year too late," Bailey said Wednesday at the Pro Bowl. "Nothing against (Jim) Bates, but Slowik is the right fit for this defense."

Slowik has been the Broncos' secondary coach since 2005. He was promoted to defensive coordinator early in 2007 but Bates, who was hired in January 2007, was in charge of the defense. When Bates and the team mutually parted ways last month, Slowik was promptly promoted. He has been a defensive coordinator with Green Bay, Chicago and Cleveland.

Bailey said Slowik's familiarity with the players is going to help.

"He's been here for a while, and he knows how it all works," Bailey said. "I think there will be more consistency. I think Bates was a good coach, but we didn't have the personnel for what he ran. It just didn't work. We were all over the place. He'd have starters get cut. It was no consistency there."

We've heard the same stuff the past 5 years. Im going to wait and see with this guy. Hopefully if he does well we can keep him for longer than a year.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-28-2010, 03:35 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9822

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Denver Broncos on Thursday promoted Don “Wink” Martindale to defensive coordinator, it was announced. Martindale coached the club’s linebackers in 2009 after spending five years in that role with the Oakland Raiders.

“We are excited to name Wink Martindale our defensive coordinator,” Head Coach Josh McDaniels said. “Wink is the perfect fit to lead our defense after earning the respect of our players and coaching staff for the job he did this past year working with our linebackers.

“Defensively, we will keep our system consistent in terms of the scheme and will play an aggressive, physical brand of football. Most importantly, we want to continue to improve. Wink holds his players to a very high standard, both on the field and in the meeting room, and he makes them better. He is highly regarded within our organization, and we look forward to him leading our defense.”

Before beginning his NFL coaching career with the Raiders in 2004, the 46-year-old Martindale worked as the defensive coordinator at Western Kentucky University in 2003 and helped the Hilltoppers rank sixth in Division I-AA in yards per game allowed. He also worked as a defensive coordinator at Western Illinois University in 1999 after coaching in various defensive roles at the University of Cincinnati (1996-98) and the University of Notre Dame (1994-95).

Martindale spent six years coaching at the high school level in Ohio after beginning his coaching career in 1986 at Defiance College, where he played linebacker and earned a bachelor’s degree in business education.

As the Broncos’ linebackers coach in 2009, Martindale oversaw a unit that helped Denver rank seventh in the NFL in total yards per game allowed (315.0) and third in the league in passing yards per game allowed (186.3). He helped Elvis Dumervil become the first league sack champion in Broncos history with the fourth-year player posting a club-record 17 to earn Pro Bowl honors in his first season at linebacker.

In addition, D.J. Williams was named a Pro Bowl alternate under Martindale in 2009 after leading the club with 122 tackles that ranked sixth in the AFC according to press box statistics.

An all-state linebacker at Trotwood-Madison High School in Trotwood, Ohio, Martindale was born on May 19, 1963, in Dayton, Ohio. He is married to Laura, and the couple has one daughter (Cassie) and one son (Ty).

rationalfan
01-28-2010, 03:36 PM

what the players want and what they need are often two very different things.

shank
01-28-2010, 03:40 PM
what the players want and what they need are often two very different things.

true. but i think the players needed some continuity more than anything. though this will be 5 in 5, it's the closest thing to continuity we could have had. martindale knows a lot of what nolan did, specifically, to turn our defense around, and i'm sure he'll continue with those practices.

i'm happy that this is finally official.

rationalfan
01-28-2010, 03:50 PM
true. but i think the players needed some continuity more than anything. though this will be 5 in 5, it's the closest thing to continuity we could have had. martindale knows a lot of what nolan did, specifically, to turn our defense around, and i'm sure he'll continue with those practices.

i'm happy that this is finally official.

i'm in the nolan-is-overrated camp, so i hope martindale brings enough of his own ideas to the job.

and, this is a bit ridiulous, but karl mecklenberg for linebackers coach?

titan
01-28-2010, 04:43 PM
I was at first disappointed that Nolan was leaving but now think the team will be ok (and maybe better) with martindale in charge. The run defense in the crucial late season home losses to the Raiders and Chiefs resembled Shanahan's poor run defense! I heard Mike himself say at a bronco qb club meeting "all good defense starts with stopping the run"

It took years of bad drafting to put the Broncos run defense in the sorry state it is in (mostly Shanahan) - it's going to take more than 1 year to fix it.

claymore
01-28-2010, 04:50 PM
I was at first disappointed that Nolan was leaving but now think the team will be ok (and maybe better) with martindale in charge. The run defense in the crucial late season home losses to the Raiders and Chiefs resembled Shanahan's poor run defense! I heard Mike himself say at a bronco qb club meeting "all good defense starts with stopping the run"

It took years of bad drafting to put the Broncos run defense in the sorry state it is in (mostly Shanahan) - it's going to take more than 1 year to fix it.

And we started over AGAIN. 5 guys, 5 drafts, a hodgepodge of different systems guys...

Thinking we are beter without seeing the product is drinking the koolaid . I undrstand you guys are trying to remain positive, but there has to be a point where you guy admit things are dysfunctional in Denver.

On the flip side, there is only so much negative that can be said.

titan
01-28-2010, 05:04 PM
And we started over AGAIN. 5 guys, 5 drafts, a hodgepodge of different systems guys...

Thinking we are beter without seeing the product is drinking the koolaid . I undrstand you guys are trying to remain positive, but there has to be a point where you guy admit things are dysfunctional in Denver.

On the flip side, there is only so much negative that can be said.

But we did see some improvement last year mainly because of the free agent acquisitions on defense. Remember how awful the secondary was at the end of 2008? Significant upgrade in 2009. I'm guessing McD was more responsible for those free agent signings than Nolan.

dunk7
01-28-2010, 05:43 PM
But we did see some improvement last year mainly because of the free agent acquisitions on defense. Remember how awful the secondary was at the end of 2008? Significant upgrade in 2009. I'm guessing McD was more responsible for those free agent signings than Nolan.

How so??? You could maybe argue that point for bringing in Ty Law.

A couple comments on this move:

First, I'm with Clay in that I'll reserve judgement on this move.

Second, "Wink" could just be a "yes" man which doesn't bode well. It might be my naivety but I think McKid will surround himself with a bunch of "yes" men that will put on the blinders and follow.

Finally, Don't believe all the media speak. I've yet to hear a player come out and say "This was a bad choice, he doesn't deserve the job".

The Glue Factory
01-28-2010, 06:35 PM

I agree that things aren't rosy in Dove Valley. But things are rarely rosy when you're changing from near pathetic to outstanding. There's growing pains involved. That's what we're going through right now and probably the next year or two.

"We'll" find something that looks like it's an improvement but isn't. Rip it out and find something that looks like it'll be the fit. Maybe that isn't. Problem is you don't know you have it right until after it's too late.

Looooong ago Joe Collier was the DC in Denver and a fantastic (not to mention beloved) DC he was. There came a time when he was fired. How good was Collier? Think Orange Crush. He built it.

I'm hoping that Martindale is Collier reborn but like you I'll I can do is hope. If he isn't I trust McD to find someone better next year or whenever Martindale is gone.

nevcraw
01-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Hopefully this guy's increased job duties will lead to more wins.. wink, wink..

Superchop 7
01-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Defensive coordinator.

Veteran assistant Dean Pees, like many in the league, initially believed he was the front-runner to replace Mike Nolan. But Broncos linebackers coach Don Martindale, 46, appears to be the choice after meeting with coach Josh McDaniels.

The Ohio native has been a linebackers coach since arriving in the NFL in 2004 with the Oakland Raiders. He was last a defensive coordinator in 2003 at Western Kentucky.

Two league sources said Friday night McDaniels also gave a look to Patriots linebackers coach Matt Patricia, who is a candidate to be promoted to defensive coordinator in New England.

Don Martindale enters his first season as linebackers coach for the Denver Broncos in 2009 after instructing the Oakland Raiders' linebackers for the previous five years. Martindale, who has 23 years of coaching experience, was named to his current position on Jan. 21, 2009.

During five seasons coaching the Raiders' linebackers from 2004-08, Martindale helped Oakland rank sixth in the NFL against the pass over that period (199.2 ypg.). His coaching was instrumental in the development of linebacker Kirk Morrison as the 2005 third-round pick registered the most tackles in the AFC (2nd in NFL) with 491 stops in four seasons playing for Martindale.

Morrison and Thomas Howard, a 2006 second-round pick, developed into two of the league's best linebackers at forcing takeaways under Martindale. The two each registered seven interceptions from 2006-08, making them two of the NFL's top five interceptors among linebackers during that three-year period.

Oakland linebacker Danny Clark also thrived under Martindale, registering the ninth-most tackles (243) in the league during the coach's first two seasons with the Raiders from 2004-05 when he primarily coached the club's inside linebackers.

In 2008, Martindale's group of Raiders linebackers was led by Morrison, who tied for fourth in the league and led Oakland for the second year in a row with a career-high 137 tackles (101 solo). His tackle total was the highest by an Oakland defender in 10 seasons.

Howard's six interceptions under Martindale's guidance in 2007 tied for fifth in the league among all players and were the most by an NFL linebacker in four seasons. He scored two touchdowns on interception returns en route to totaling an AFC-best 172 return yards as a key part of a defense that tied for the NFL lead in fewest passing first downs (156) allowed.

Oakland featured a linebacking corps coached by Martindale in 2006 that was a key part of a defense that led the NFL in fewest passing yards allowed (150.8 ypg.) and fewest 10+yard plays (151) while ranking third in the league in overall defense (284.8 ypg.). Morrison had more tackles for losses (11) than any linebacker in the league, and Howard placed fourth among league rookies with 106 stops.

Martindale's coaching helped Morrison lead all NFL rookies in tackles (112) in 2005. Clark had a team-high 113 stops in 2005 under Martindale, who coached on a defense that was fifth in the league in forcing three-and-outs (27.7%) and sixth in red zone touchdown percentage (45.8).

In his first season coaching the Raiders' linebackers in 2004, Martindale worked with Clark during the linebacker's first year in Oakland and guided him to a career-high 130 tackles that ranked eighth in the NFL.

Before entering the NFL coaching ranks, Martindale coached for three seasons (2001-03) at Western Kentucky University. He handled the Hilltoppers' defensive coordinator duties in 2003 with additional responsibilities coaching inside linebackers after instructing inside linebackers/special teams from 2001-02.

Martindale's defense at Western Kentucky was one of the strongest in Division I-AA in 2003, allowing the sixth-fewest yards per game. A year earlier in 2002, his linebackers were a key part of its national championship squad and comprised three of the Hilltoppers' top-five leading tacklers.

In his first year at Western Kentucky in 2001, Martindale coached linebacker Erik Dandy to All-America honors in just his sophomore year. He instructed another All-American, linebacker Edgerton Hartwell, in 1999 as defensive coordinator/linebackers coach at Western Illinois University.

Martindale coached for three years (1996-98) at the University of Cincinnati, instructing its linebackers/special teams from 1997-98 and teaching its defensive ends in 1996. The Bearcats advanced to their first bowl game (Humanitarian Bowl) in 50 seasons with him on staff in 1997.

A defensive assistant at Notre Dame from 1994-95, Martindale coached on teams that played in the Fiesta Bowl (1994 season) and Orange Bowl (1995 season). His stint with the Fighting Irish came after he coached at the high school level in Ohio for three different schools (Northmont, Trotwood-Madison and Brookville) from 1988-93.

Martindale's coaching career began at his alma mater, Defiance College (Defiance, Ohio), where he served as secondary coach in 1986 and defensive coordinator/secondary coach in 1987. He graduated from Defiance with a bachelor's degree in business education after playing linebacker at the school.

An all-state linebacker at Trotwood Madison High School in Trotwood, Ohio, Martindale was born on May 19, 1963, in Dayton, Ohio. He is married to Laura, and the couple has one daughter (Cassie) and one son (Ty).

RBs coach Eric Studesville.

The 42-year-old had been with the Buffalo Bills since 2004 as the running backs coach and run-game coordinator. He was on the Chicago Bears staff from 1997-2000 and with the New York Giants from 2001-03. He has coached Tiki Barber, Willis McGahee, Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson — all 1,000-yard rushers — during his NFL career.

With a change in offensive play-callers just before the start of the season, and an inconsistent offensive line, the Bills' offense finished among the league's bottom eight for the seventh year in a row in '09. They were 16th in rushing.

COACHING EXPERIENCE: Buffalo’s running game continues to produce results under the direction of Eric Studesville. In 2008, Marshawn Lynch produced the fourth 1,000-yard rushing season since Studesville’s arrival in 2004 and became the first Bills running back to play in the Pro Bowl since 2003. Lynch became the second-fastest Bills running back to reach 2,000 yards by achieving the feat in 27 games. Studesville coached the top two fastest Bills running backs to reach 2,000 yards as Willis McGahee accomplished the feat in 26 games. Other accomplishments for the running game in 2008 include: Lynch (1,036 yards) and RB Fred Jackson (571) becoming the first Bills running back duo to eclipse 1,000 and 500 yards since Thurman Thomas and Darick Holmes in 1996; Lynch (47) and Jackson (37) combined for 84 receptions – the most by a running back duo in the NFL this season; In games 9-16, Buffalo produced 1,092 rushing yards to rank fifth in the AFC. …Studesville was promoted to running game coordinator/running backs coach in January 2008 … Played an instrumental role in the development of rookie running back Marshawn Lynch in the 2007 season; Lynch produced 1,115 rushing yards – the second-most for a rookie in team history; he led the NFL in rushing attempts per game at 21.5 and ranked fifth in the AFC with 85.8 yards per game; he led the team with seven touchdowns; Lynch produced the fourth 1,000-yard season in the past five seasons under coach Studesville … In 2006, the Bills rushing attack saw significant improvements toward the end year; Bills posted 100-yard rushing games in three of the last four games, including a season-high 174-yard effort in a win over the Jets in week 14; Buffalo posted seven 100-yard rushing days and averaged 97.0 yards per game in 2006. … In 2005, Studesville helped produce a 1,000-yard rusher for the third consecutive season as RB Willis McGahee posted a career-high 1,247 rushing yards; He became the fifth back in Bills history to reach 1,000 yards in consecutive seasons; McGahee became the quickest back in team history to reach 2,000 yards as he accomplished the feat in just 26 games; FB Daimon Shelton developed into one of the most punishing fullbacks in the NFL clearing holes for McGahee and the rushing attack … In 2004, he coached his second straight 1,000-yard rusher as McGahee produced 1,128 yards; McGahee also tied a Bills’ rookie record with 13 touchdowns; guided McGahee to an explosive start to his career as he became only the third NFL back since 1970 to rush for 100 yards in his first three starts; Shelton caught a career-high 17 passes for 114 yards in 2004 …Studesville spent three seasons coaching running backs for the New York Giants (2001-03)…Under Studesville, Tiki Barber ran for 1,216 and led the team in receptions with 69 for 461 yards in 2003…Giants running backs rushed for 1,817 yards and caught 99 passes for another 776 yards in 2002 and in 2001, the Giants backs rushed for 1,659 yards and caught 123 passes for an additional 922 yards.

PERSONAL: A native of Madison, Wis., Studesville earned a degree in physical education with a minor in coaching at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater, where he played defensive back. He received a master's degree in exercise physiology from Arizona. He worked with the Bears coaching staff during training camp in 1996 as part of the NFL minority fellowship program…lives in Hamburg, NY with his wife, Staci and daughter Sydni.

Assistant OL coach Bob Wylie.

Wylie, 58, played at Colorado and coached for two seasons at Colorado State in the late '80s. He's a longtime NFL assistant who has had stops in Arizona, Tampa Bay, Chicago, Cincinnati and with the New York Jets.

Wylie has coached the past three years in the Canadian Football League. He holds a masters degree in economics, is a licensed pilot and an amateur magician.

Assistant OL coach Clancy Barone.

Barone, 46, was the Broncos' tight ends coach this past season but was an assistant offensive line coach with the Atlanta Falcons in 2004 when Broncos general manager Brian Xanders was with the team.

The '04 Falcons played in the NFC championship game, which they lost to Philadelphia.

Barone also coached the offensive line in several college programs: Houston, Wyoming, Eastern Illinois, Texas A&M and Sacramento State.

Clancy Barone enters his first season as tight ends coach for the Denver Broncos in 2009 after instructing that position in the NFL for the last four years with the San Diego Chargers (2007-08) and Atlanta Falcons (2005-06). He was named to his current position on Jan. 23, 2009.

Barone is in his 23rd year of coaching and worked at the collegiate level for his first 17 years in the profession before beginning his NFL coaching career in 2004 as the Falcons' assistant offensive line coach.

During each of the last four years as a tight ends coach in the NFL, Barone has instructed a Pro Bowl selection with the Chargers' Antonio Gates (2007-08) and the Falcons' Alge Crumpler (2005-06) earning multiple Pro Bowl berths under his direction. A long-time offensive line coach at the collegiate level, Barone has instructed 27 offensive linemen who have signed NFL contracts while also coaching five Outland Award semifinalists (nation's best interior lineman) and three Rimington Award semifinalists (nation's best center).

Gates further cemented his reputation as one of the league's most productive tight ends in two seasons with Barone as his position coach from 2007-08, earning consecutive Pro Bowl appearances. Barone's instruction helped the Charger tie for first among NFL tight ends in touchdown catches (17), rank third in receiving yards (1,688) and tie for fourth in receptions (135) over that span.

During Barone's final year as San Diego's tight ends coach in 2008, Gates earned his fifth consecutive Pro Bowl selection after registering the second-most receiving touchdowns (8) in the NFL at his position group. He also placed sixth among league tight ends in receptions (60) and seventh in receiving yards (704).

Barone's first year coaching the Chargers' tight ends in 2007 saw Gates average a career-best 13.1 yards per reception that ranked second among league tight ends. He also picked up Pro Bowl accolades, finishing the year second among NFL tight ends in touchdown catches (9) while ranking fourth at the position in receptions (75) and receiving yards (984).

Crumpler benefited from Barone's guidance with the Falcons from 2005-06, appearing in the Pro Bowl during both of those seasons and totaling the third-most receiving yards (1,657) among NFL tight ends in that two-year period. He also tied for third in touchdown catches (13) and ranked eighth in receptions (121) at his position in two years under Barone.

In addition, the blocking of Atlanta's tight ends with Barone on staff helped the club average an NFL-best 171.4 rushing yards per game from 2005-06 and lead the league in rushing during each of those two seasons.

Crumpler was named to his fourth consecutive Pro Bowl with Barone coaching Atlanta's tight ends in 2006 after leading NFC tight ends (2nd in NFL) with a career-high eight touchdown grabs and ranking fourth in the league at his position in receiving yards (780). His 877 receiving yards and 65 receptions working with Barone in 2005 represented Falcons single-season records for tight ends and resulted in a Pro Bowl selection.

In 2004, Barone began his NFL coaching career as Atlanta's assistant offensive line coach, helping the club lead the league with a franchise-record 5.1 yards per rush average and advance to the NFC Championship Game.

Barone spent seven seasons as an offensive coordinator in college from 1997-2003, working in that capacity for Texas State University (2003), the University of Houston (2000-02) and the University of Wyoming (1997-99). He had additional responsibilities as assistant head coach for Texas State while also coaching the offensive lines for Houston and Wyoming.

Texas State's offense was one of the best in the nation under Barone's direction, ranking seventh in the country in yards per game (443.4) en route to setting numerous school offensive records. He was named Division-I Offensive Line Coach of the Year by the National Offensive Line Coaches Association following his final year at Houston in 2002, a year in which Cougars running back Joffrey Reynolds ranked ninth in the nation in rushing (128.8 ypg. / 1,545 yds.). During his three years at Wyoming, Barone's offensive line gave up a total of 35 sacks.

An offensive lineman at the University of Nevada and Sacramento State University, Barone's coaching career began at American River College (Sacramento, Calif.), where he coached its offensive line from 1987-90. He spent two seasons coaching the offensive line at Sacramento State from 1991-92 before serving as assistant offensive line coach at Texas A&M University in 1993 and coaching Eastern Illinois University's offensive line from 1994-96.

Barone was a four-sport star at Red Bluff High School in Red Bluff, Calif., and was born on July 26, 1963, in San Andreas, Calif. He and his wife, Rosie, have three children: Gianna, Stefano and Isabella.

Superchop 7
01-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Rather have Martindale than Patricia.

Reason ?

The players "wanted" him.

When the players support a coach, good things happen.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-28-2010, 07:42 PM
We've heard the same stuff the past 5 years. Im going to wait and see with this guy. Hopefully if he does well we can keep him for longer than a year.

It just goes to show you that the players will pretty much say supportive things about any coach that is brought in if they are comfortable with their position on the team and paycheck.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-28-2010, 07:46 PM
How so??? You could maybe argue that point for bringing in Ty Law.

A couple comments on this move:

First, I'm with Clay in that I'll reserve judgement on this move.

Second, "Wink" could just be a "yes" man which doesn't bode well. It might be my naivety but I think McKid will surround himself with a bunch of "yes" men that will put on the blinders and follow.

Finally, Don't believe all the media speak. I've yet to hear a player come out and say "This was a bad choice, he doesn't deserve the job".

Well, except Jay Cutler. He was the only Bronco player who had negative things to say about the firing of Shanahan and Jeremy Bates. He's no longer a Bronco. Telling? Perhaps players don't open their yaps no matter what they think because they like being employed? If you ask Champ Bailey, every DC we've hired since he's been here has been the "right guy for the job" until the defense sucked and he was fired. Champ has NEVER said anything negative about the team. Why would he start now?

HORSEPOWER 56
01-28-2010, 07:48 PM

Reason ?

The players "wanted" Bob Slowik, too. Don't forget that.

Bozo Jr.
01-28-2010, 07:56 PM
I like this selection, he was a hell of a LB coach with the Raiders and our group last year was much improved. He is well respected through out the league. I'm glad we chose him over Pee's.

I wonder who our new LB coach will be?

"We" chose him??? Actually JMCD chose him. You know....the guy you bash every day on this site. :tsk:

T.K.O.
01-28-2010, 09:02 PM
i'm in the nolan-is-overrated camp, so i hope martindale brings enough of his own ideas to the job.

and, this is a bit ridiulous, but karl mecklenberg for linebackers coach?

i think john lynch is looking for a coaching spot......hmmmmm
if he could get everybody to hit like he did.....teams would fear the orange and blue again !:elefant:

Superchop 7
01-28-2010, 09:49 PM
The players "wanted" Bob Slowik, too. Don't forget that.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________

Slowick was hired as a "next in line" D Co-ordinator, it was actually surprising that Shanny hired Bates.

The player that loved Slow was Champ.......and with good reason.......Slow is actually a very good DB coach.

D-co-ord.......lousy.

Not sure how good you could be with Nate Webster but thats another subject.

I'm sure Shanny was just making good on a promise when he promoted him.

That being said...

In this instance......

I think "this" hire will quell some turmoil, and Lord knows.......Dove valley has been Drama Valley lately.

Furthermore...

There will be some continuity for once.

I'm not sold on the coach (yet) but I am sold on the move.

roomemp
01-28-2010, 09:56 PM
If not this year.....Nolan would have probably been gone by next year or the year after. If he had the same success next year, he would have been a HC canidate. I like this move a lot. I am glad we got someone from within.

dogfish
01-28-2010, 09:59 PM

Reason ?

and besides, what kind of sissy-ass name for a defensive coordinator is "patricia," anyway"?

rationalfan
01-29-2010, 11:38 AM
reading between lines, this quote from mcd about martindale could provide the clue to nolan's departure:

"He understands that some weeks it's going to require us to do something one way, and other weeks we'll have to do something different. I don't think that's always an easy thing to adopt, but he's been around this now and he understands it, and he loves it."

Again, reading between lines, it suggests that nolan wasn't open to the idea of a malleable defensive scheme that changes with the opponent.

arapaho2
01-29-2010, 11:49 AM

Reason ?

players like champ also officialy backed and supported bob slowicks rise to the DC position....that worked out well didnt it

CoachChaz
01-29-2010, 11:53 AM
If nothing short of McDaniels being fired will make someone happy, then why discuss anything else?

I'm just curious

TXBRONC
01-29-2010, 02:30 PM
If not this year.....Nolan would have probably been gone by next year or the year after. If he had the same success next year, he would have been a HC canidate. I like this move a lot. I am glad we got someone from within.

I agree this was a very good move on McDaniels part.

Medford Bronco
01-29-2010, 02:34 PM
I would have been happy with either him or Pees. I just hope that he can stay for a few years to give us some stability at that coaching position. I'm glad that the Broncos will remain an aggressive D.

I will be happy with a better D line as well. That is what is going to make or break our D. Stopping the Run is just as important as stopping the pass.

gobroncsnv
01-29-2010, 07:45 PM
Stopping the Run is just as important as stopping the pass.

yep, and stopping the pass is just as important as stopping the run... quite the play on words, eh?

Point is, we've had decent run-stopping a few times over the last decade, and our pass rush improved this year, but of course at the end of the season, we could do neither. That led us to the 2-8 record as fast as anything else. Not minimizing the dismal offense, but this thread is about the defense. Saying we were nothing to write home about on either side of the ball over the last 10 games, not with any consistency. The last half of the Philly game raised my hopes, but then we crapped that away against the Chefs.

Mr D
01-29-2010, 10:18 PM
The idea is - if you can stop the run without stacking the box or "cheating"...stopping the pass will be a lot easier.

Ziggy
01-29-2010, 11:38 PM
yep, and stopping the pass is just as important as stopping the run... quite the play on words, eh?

Actually, no. Stopping the run is always priority #1 for defensive coordinators in the NFL. It allows the defense to put teams in 2nd and 3rd and long, dictate which way the offense must play, and keeps them from controlling the clock. Not a play on words, just common sense.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-30-2010, 10:58 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14298690

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. — Don Martindale notified the hostess he and his son would be ready for a table, just as soon as his good friend and mentor joined him.

A minute or two later, Rex Ryan stepped up to the Pro Bowl hotel restaurant, ready for lunch. By the looks of them, Martindale and Ryan weren't going to be ordering watercress salads.

Was Ryan, who is now head coach of the defensive-oriented New York Jets, surprised that Martindale was promoted to his first NFL defensive coordinator gig by the Broncos?

"No," Ryan said. "He's not a first-year guy. He's been with the Ryan family forever."

"I've been with the Ryans for about 12 years," Martindale said. "It's that type of mentality, get guys playing hard. Schematically, you don't tip what you're going to do. But mostly, I know our guys are going to play hard, and we're going to be fun to watch."

If the Mannings — Archie, Peyton and Eli — are the first family of quarterbacks, the Ryans — Buddy, Rex and Rob — are the most prominent tribe of NFL defenses.

Martindale is part of the Ryan family. He may work directly for Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels now, but much of his defensive coaching education came from the Ryans. Martindale was part of Rex Ryan's defensive staff at the University of Cincinnati in 1996-97 and coached linebackers for Rob Ryan with the Oakland Raiders from 2004-08.

"Wink's going to be great, no question," Ryan said. "I told him he can finish second in the league."

The numbers say Ryan is the best defensive coach around. His Jets ranked No. 1 in total defense this past season, while his previous team, the Baltimore Ravens, ranked No. 2 in 2008.

The Broncos were No. 1 through six games in 2009 with Mike Nolan as defensive coordinator and Martindale as linebackers coach. But the Broncos' defensive performance fell precipitously in the final 10 games.

Showing he already has one vital characteristic of becoming a quality defensive coordinator, Martindale doesn't pretend to know more than anyone else.

"It's hard to pinpoint one thing," said Martindale, who is here at the Pro Bowl as a guest of the prominent linebacker he coached this year, Elvis Dumervil. "If I had all the answers, we wouldn't have had that problem. I think it was the accumulation of things as a team. Just coming together, and staying together and working in unison. We saw that formula works. We saw that in the beginning of the year."

In the 3-4 defensive system, Ryan and Martindale trust. And yes, Martindale knows how to scheme the famed "46" defense devised by Buddy, the Ryan patriarch, in the mid- 1980s with the Chicago Bears.

"Mike used to always give me guff. Every time we'd go into a game, he'd say, 'OK, Rex,' " Martindale said.

Mike Nolan is another common link between Rex Ryan and Martindale. Nolan was the Baltimore Ravens' defensive coordinator until he left in 2005 to become head coach in San Francisco. His job in Baltimore was filled by Ryan.

Nolan returned to Denver and the defensive coordinator position in 2009, until he left two weeks ago to take the same position with the Miami Dolphins. His job with the Broncos was filled by Martindale.

Oftentimes, an awkward strain can develop in a relationship when an underling succeeds his boss. Not so between Nolan and Martindale.

"He called and congratulated me," Martindale said. "I told him I was glad he left so I could take his job."

Martindale smiled. It sounded like something Rex Ryan would say.

T.K.O.
01-30-2010, 06:04 PM
reading between lines, this quote from mcd about martindale could provide the clue to nolan's departure:

"He understands that some weeks it's going to require us to do something one way, and other weeks we'll have to do something different. I don't think that's always an easy thing to adopt, but he's been around this now and he understands it, and he loves it."

Again, reading between lines, it suggests that nolan wasn't open to the idea of a malleable defensive scheme that changes with the opponent.

this "malleable" defensive scheming is as big a part of mcD's system as is the same approach on offense.
one of the things i was stoked about in listening to mcD last offseason was the fact that he said he would change things up depending on who the opponent was.
basically gameplanning for a teams weakness....its done on some levels by every team.but i think he wants to give the other team very little to gameplan on by going into each week with a radically different set of looks.
which is why the sysem he is installing requires extra effort and study....it is complex and will take time to find the players who can execute it and figure out the ones who cant.
i agree that nolan probably just said "good luck with that but i prefer running my own d"
and mcD honored his wish to go to miami.
both parties seem to happy with the agreement and now we have a guy who knows what is expected of him by the hc,and a team that seems to be behind the choice .....WIN/WIN:salute:

Denver Native (Carol)
01-30-2010, 06:17 PM

I have no idea if there is any substance to the following, but last week, Cecil Lammey of footballguys.com, was on with Mike Evans on the Fan. He said rumors about Nolan were floating around the Senior Bowl - i.e.

"Mike Nolan may have gotten a little too big for his britches after the 6-0 start - the halftime adjustments, and Nolan may have been getting too big of a head reading his own press clippings"

Again, I have no idea if there is any substance in this.

sneakers
01-31-2010, 01:15 AM
Don't get too attached, he will be gone after this season. :lol: