PDA

View Full Version : Pees takes Ravens coaching job -- MERGED

broncofaninfla
01-23-2010, 02:52 PM
Source: Pees has something else lined up

Posted by Mike Florio on January 23, 2010 2:10 PM ET
So why are the Broncos suddenly in line to hire Wink Martindale's kid brother to run the defense in Denver?

Per a league source, top choice Dean Pees has agreed to coach elsewhere. Pees most recently served as defensive coordinator in New England.

We don't know where Pees will land, but we're working on it. Our source is being a little difficult.

LRtagger
01-23-2010, 04:03 PM
in before "Pees didnt want to work for McDummy"

Denver Native (Carol)
01-23-2010, 04:14 PM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=2268&line=166819&spln=1

"Ex-Patriots defensive coordinator Dean Pees may be in the mix for the same position with the Bills.
Pees, 60, looked to be a shoe-in for the gig in Denver before LBs coach Don Martindale emerged as the favorite. Bills new head coach Chan Gailey also mentioned at his presser that he was open to a change to the 3-4 defense, and Pees would fit that bill."

I can't remember which Broncos defensive player was being interviewed after Nolan left, but when the player was told that Martindale was being considered as DC, the player was estatic that Martindale was being considered.

T.K.O.
01-23-2010, 04:23 PM
in before "Pees didnt want to work for McDummy"

without the benefit of a hot chic for an avy...there was really no need to post
if mcD had agreed on pees ,haters would have bashed him for not promoting from within the org.
he'll just be "mcdummy" no matter what happens to some i guess.
now lets get to work on the avy thing eh?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-23-2010, 04:30 PM
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2010/01/23/will-changing-winds-in-denver-leave-dean-pees-out-in-the-cold/

Some very interesting things are going on in Denver, as coach Josh McDaniels is still trying to fill out his coaching staff. It could result in ex-Patriots defensive coordinator Dean Pees (still) out of work.

Herald columnist Ron Borges called me this morning to relay some news he had learned from some of his sources. And none of it is good for Pees.

Linebackers coach Don Martindale has been telling people that he is the new Broncos defensive coordinator. He met with McDaniels yesterday, and apparently has another meeting today. This could move quickly.

Does this mean Martindale is in and Pees is out? It’s not 100 percent, considering recently, it seems Pees was in. But if a guy like Martindale is telling people he’s got the job, figure he’s at least got a good shot at it.

Shazam!
01-23-2010, 04:33 PM
I want Mart. I always prefer promoting from within, especially when the players feel the position Coach would be in their best interest and he's familiar with the program, scheme, and personnel.

silkamilkamonico
01-23-2010, 04:58 PM
I want Mart. I always prefer promoting from within, especially when the players feel the position Coach would be in their best interest and he's familiar with the program, scheme, and personnel.

I agree. I also think it's easier for McDaniels to be in control to a point of what the defense is doing, and you don't always get that when you hire a proven DC.

dogfish
01-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Source: Pees has something else lined up

dogfish: good!

NameUsedBefore
01-23-2010, 05:12 PM

Source please.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-23-2010, 05:56 PM

Link or ****

rcsodak
01-23-2010, 06:39 PM

I think it would be a good thing.

1. Nobody would have any 'tape' on him, so kinda like the beginning of last season, they could maybe surprise a few teams.

2. He already knows the players. He knows who fits, who doesn't. They've publicly said they like him and hoped he'd be considered for the position.

3. Lastly, there will be more than likely, less 'change' to this year. Though I would guess/HOPE he'll come up with his own wrinkles.

None of the big shot DC's ever started from having that position. They started from being position coaches, so for any of you that decide to just poo-poo this decision, just make sure you open up your closed minds. ;)

rcsodak
01-23-2010, 06:41 PM
I agree. I also think it's easier for McDaniels to be in control to a point of what the defense is doing, and you don't always get that when you hire a proven DC.

Hard to remember all of the "proven" DC's this team has had in the last 10yrs. Doesn't say much for that quality, imo. ;)

T.K.O.
01-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Mystery persists regarding Pees landing spot
Posted by Mike Florio on January 23, 2010 6:06 PM ET
We're still trying to figure out the next move in the career path of former Patriots defensive coordinator Dean Pees.

By way of background, we're told he wasn't hired by the Broncos because he has another job lined up.

Though some speculation exists linking Pees to the defensive coordinator position in Buffalo, it's our understanding that the team that has hired Pees has not yet broken the news to the person who currently holds the job.

Since Buffalo doesn't have a defensive coordinator, that would presumably remove them from the mix.

Which means that there's someone out there -- presumably a defensive coordinator -- who is soon going to be getting something other than good news.

Meanwhile, we're told that Pees' departure had nothing to do with his health. "Something went wrong," a source with knowledge of the situation tells us.

And now something has gone wrong for the guy whose place Pees will be taking with another team.

As always, stay tuned.

dunk7
01-25-2010, 12:34 PM
Preferring the Bills to us...Wow, just wow. I'm guessing the koolaid drinkers are thinking this is the best start to an offseason ever.

turftoad
01-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Preferring the Bills to us...Wow, just wow. I'm guessing the koolaid drinkers are thinking this is the best start to an offseason ever.

Maybe Pee's doesn't want to work with McDaniels either.

CoachChaz
01-25-2010, 01:12 PM
Maybe he just prefers Buffalo to Denver. Maybe NOT everyone in the world absolutely hates Denver and McDaniels and understands there are 31 other franchises in the NFL to work for.

God forbid the answer not be negative

Denver Native (Carol)
01-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Did Coach McD HIMSELF state that he was considering Pees for DC, or was that an ASSUMPTION by the press when Nolan left???? There is also a possibility that the position has not been filled yet, as Coach McD is considering an assistant coach(s) from one or more of the 4 teams which played yesterday.

Crush05
01-26-2010, 07:30 PM
From BroncosTalk.com

Dean Pees in Baltimore
Posted in Broncos News by Mr.East on Tue Jan 26th
According to Pro Football Talk former Patriots defensive coordinator Dean Pees has taken a job in Baltimore as their linebackers coach. Pees was in contention for the Broncos defensive coordinator job after the depature of Mike Nolan, but now it’s pretty safe to say you can cross him off the list of candidates.

This only makes room for more speculation that current linebackers coach Don Martindale is lined up to take the job. The only question is why is Josh McDaniels waiting so long to name a defensive coordinator? I can’t speak for the rest of the Broncos nation but this lingering vacancy leaves me feeling a little uneasy. Waiting this long to name a coach must either mean the search is truly still on or McDaniels is still too hesitant about Martindale. Perhaps this is just to delicate of a situation, too important of a position to rush a hire, too paramount to leave empty for too long.

Who ever is next will become the fifth defensive coordinator in the past five years for the Broncos. Who can name them all really? Quirrell, Lockheart, Lupin, Moody, Umbridge, Snape… Harry Potter joke… sorry.

What do you think Broncos nation? What the frick is going on in regards to the defensive coordinator position?

Ziggy
01-26-2010, 07:34 PM
I don't care if he takes 3 months, as long as he gets a good D coordinator in here. For all we know, he may be wanting to interview a coach from one of the Super Bowl teams.

Crush05
01-26-2010, 07:38 PM
I don't care if he takes 3 months, as long as he gets a good D coordinator in here. For all we know, he may be wanting to interview a coach from one of the Super Bowl teams.

Agreed!!

Shazam!
01-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Martindale please.

Superchop 7
01-26-2010, 08:01 PM
Dude, you know it's Martingdale.

It's a win-win for McD/Players

SR
01-26-2010, 08:15 PM
As Ziggy said, as long as we hire the right DC and not a one year wonder, it doesn't matter to me who gets hired. I'm tired of the carousel.

spikerman
01-26-2010, 08:50 PM

I don't think a coach from one of the SB teams makes sense because both teams run a 4-3 defense. The delay is a little confusing.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-26-2010, 08:53 PM
I don't think a coach from one of the SB teams makes sense because both teams run a 4-3 defense. The delay is a little confusing.

Yeah, I really don't think we're waiting around to interview Larry Coyer. I think if McDaniels actually told Bowlen that, Bowlen would fire him on the spot.

spikerman
01-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I really don't think we're waiting around to interview Larry Coyer. I think if McDaniels actually told Bowlen that, Bowlen would fire him on the spot.

Personally, I would LOVE to have Coyer back! :salute:

HORSEPOWER 56
01-26-2010, 09:00 PM
Personally, I would LOVE to have Coyer back! :salute:

Naw, we're in the same position we were before, No D-line to speak of so we have to blitz every down to get pressure on the QB, and then we have to put our CBs in man coverage on an island and bring our safeties up into the box to stop the run, and before you know it it's 2005 all over again... :tsk:

Broncolingus
01-26-2010, 09:03 PM
I don't know about the post itself, but I'm likin the thread title...

Pees is out! :salute:

Oh, and we need to address the D-line (esp interior)...

spikerman
01-26-2010, 09:04 PM
Naw, we're in the same position we were before, No D-line to speak of so we have to blitz every down to get pressure on the QB, and then we have to put our CBs in man coverage on an island and bring our safeties up into the box to stop the run, and before you know it it's 2005 all over again... :tsk:
If I remember correctly the Broncos started out pretty hot on defense that year. Coyer has done a GREAT job with the Colts this year. If the Broncos actually focus on improving the front 7 this offseason I think he would do great. of course it will never happen, but speculation is half the fun.

broken12
01-26-2010, 10:05 PM
maybe he is waiting till after the draft! that way he can decide who and what personnel he mcd wants and dont want any input from a dc....

e-Lou-sive1
01-28-2010, 11:51 AM
The Denver Post reported that Pees has signed with the Ravens for the LB coaching job although many speculated he would sign with Denver.So far it appears that Martindale will take the Denver job after meeting with McD.

Shazam!
01-28-2010, 11:53 AM
This has been posted already.

Thanks for contributing though.

:welcome:

shank
01-28-2010, 01:51 PM
lol.

martindale named DC. McD must have been reading all these threads.