PDA

View Full Version : No Nolan is no shock to Bailey

Denver Native (Carol)
01-28-2010, 10:47 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14283045

Whether using his legs or mind, Champ Bailey is fast enough to wait.

On the left corner of a football field, Bailey often lies back until he deciphers a quarterback's intentions. Then he will react to a receiver's route.

Off the field, Bailey let everyone else immediately react to the recent departure of Broncos defensive coordinator Mike Nolan. Fans were surprised, players were shocked, and people inside the NFL industry and out shook their heads in disbelief.

Was Bailey surprised?

"Not really," Bailey said. "Should I be?"

The conversation, which was taking place minutes after the AFC Pro Bowl team completed its practice Wednesday morning at St. Thomas Aquinas High

School, was temporarily interrupted by laughter.

"The way things turn around with our . . ." Bailey said. "Nah, I wasn't shocked."

The Broncos lost eight of their final 10 games to miss the playoffs for a fourth consecutive year, but you'd never know it from looking at all the blue-and-orange helmets here. Among teams that didn't continue into the postseason, the Broncos have the most Pro Bowlers, five — offensive tackle Ryan Clady, strong safety Brian Dawkins, linebacker Elvis Dumervil, wide receiver Brandon Marshall and Bailey. The San Francisco 49ers also have five, but two were replacements for injured players.

"We have talent," Dawkins said. "But when you have a new regime like we did, there are going to be growing pains. There's not too many teams set up like coach (Jim) Caldwell with the Colts. He was already on that staff. Nothing changed as far as coaches or systems. We had a new coaching staff, we changed the blocking schemes, we changed defensive systems, we changed in philosophies. There's a lot of change in there. For us or anybody to think there wasn't going to be growing pains, those are pretty lofty expectations."

No position has embodied the change at Dove Valley more than defensive coordinator. Nolan's exit means Dumervil is about to play for his fifth defensive coordinator, a startling number considering he just finished his fourth NFL season.

"So this is something I should be familiar with," Dumervil said. "Still, it was a little shocking. As players, all you can do is just play and let the front-office people handle all that other stuff."

Dumervil's defensive boss in his rookie 2006 season was Larry Coyer, who is now running the AFC champion Indianapolis Colts' defense. There was Jim Bates in 2007, Bob Slowik in 2008, Nolan in 2009. Broncos linebackers coach Don Martindale appears to be the front-runner for the defensive coordinator position in 2010.

If McDaniels were to officially anoint Martindale, the move would receive strong endorsement from the leaders of the Denver locker room.

"I very much can see him as a defensive coordinator," Dawkins said. "A lot of what they asked me to do this year as a true strong safety, the film study I went through at that position, a lot of that came from him."

It would not be enough, though, for Martindale to do a good job in his first year as Denver's defensive coordinator. The Broncos need him to do a better job than Nolan did. No small task, considering the Broncos improved from 30th in defensive scoring under Slowik in 2008 to 12th in 2009.

"You can't measure how much you miss somebody until the season starts and see how much you improve from what you were," Bailey said.

Traveler
01-28-2010, 10:50 AM
"The way things turn around with our . . ." Bailey said. "Nah, I wasn't shocked."

Sounds like Bailey caught himself before he said something he shouldn't.

rationalfan
01-28-2010, 11:16 AM
does anyone else find it curious that martindale hasn't been named DC yet? given he's in-house and there aren't conflicting contract concerns to wait for, why hasn't he been annointed yet? seems to me that this suggests he isn't the choice - at least not the first choice.

it also makes me consider the idea that mcdaniels is waiting to raid a coach from one of the super bowl teams (or a final four team).

CoachChaz
01-28-2010, 11:22 AM
does anyone else find it curious that martindale hasn't been named DC yet? given he's in-house and there aren't conflicting contract concerns to wait for, why hasn't he been annointed yet? seems to me that this suggests he isn't the choice - at least not the first choice.

it also makes me consider the idea that mcdaniels is waiting to raid a coach from one of the super bowl teams (or a final four team).

I dont know that I'd get too carried away with assumptions just yet. Martindale is already on staff...no need to immediately promote him without taking the time to weigh out all the pors and cons of all the options

Dirk
01-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Sounds like Bailey caught himself before he said something he shouldn't.

Agreed. I mean the turnover in defensive coordinators since Bailey came to the Broncos would make him "want" to say something.

rationalfan
01-28-2010, 11:25 AM
I dont know that I'd get too carried away with assumptions just yet. Martindale is already on staff...no need to immediately promote him without taking the time to weigh out all the pors and cons of all the options

exactly, you underscore my point. if martindale was a slam dunk candidate the promotion would have happened by now. exploring other options suggests there are better options.

CoachChaz
01-28-2010, 11:33 AM
exactly, you underscore my point. if martindale was a slam dunk candidate the promotion would have happened by now. exploring other options suggests there are better options.

...and there might be. I think we'll find out next week. I doubt McD has much interest in any of the potential options on the NO or Indy staffs, but...why not look at everything out there before making a final decision

Denver Native (Carol)
01-28-2010, 11:51 AM

Just a thought - Martindale came from the Raiders. Unless something has happened just very recently, Cable has not been confirmed as head coach there yet. Could there be a possibility that if Cable is not retained, Martindale may be in the running for the HC in Oakland????????

arapaho2
01-28-2010, 12:00 PM

i dont believe there is really any pros and cons to weigh...if mcd believes in martindale, truely believes he can run the defense..there is no reason to delay hireing him..none! because once he's hired then the seach starts for linebacker coach to replace him

lets examine the "maybe" pro and cons if josh believes in him

pros...get him hired..hire a Lbr coach...start working towards the draft and FA and next season
cons..if i hire him now...somebody i really want may become available later

his delay only spells out he isnt convinced of him and is hopeing to see something better come along, or maybe like alot of people mcd and him dont really get along

Dirk
01-28-2010, 12:12 PM
Just a thought - Martindale came from the Raiders. Unless something has happened just very recently, Cable has not been confirmed as head coach there yet. Could there be a possibility that if Cable is not retained, Martindale may be in the running for the HC in Oakland????????

:eek:

rationalfan
01-28-2010, 12:15 PM

from what i gather everyone and no one is in the running for the coaching gig in oakland.

arapaho2: nice signature image.

NightTrainLayne
01-28-2010, 12:24 PM
i dont believe there is really any pros and cons to weigh...if mcd believes in martindale, truely believes he can run the defense..there is no reason to delay hireing him..none! because once he's hired then the seach starts for linebacker coach to replace him

pros...get him hired..hire a Lbr coach...start working towards the draft and FA and next season

his delay only spells out he isnt convinced of him and is hopeing to see something better come along, or maybe like alot of people mcd and him dont really get along

Why do I have this feeling that if McD had named Martindale the DC last week that you would be criticizing him for not looking at all the options available and being too quick with his decision.

CoachChaz
01-28-2010, 12:32 PM

You're right...Josh is a complete idiot and has no right to make any decisions in his own manner and regardless of how things go down it's all because he's trying to sabotage the team.

I completely forgot that he was the anti-christ and that I'm suppose assume the worst and hate the Broncos as long as he is in charge. Thanks for reminding me.

Grover
01-28-2010, 12:38 PM
I firmly believe that we are waiting until after the Superbowl so that we can rehire Larry Coyer to be our DC. Because he's obviously turned into an excellent DC since he's left here.

/sarcasm.

Timmy!
01-28-2010, 12:42 PM
You're right...Josh is a complete idiot and has no right to make any decisions in his own manner and regardless of how things go down it's all because he's trying to sabotage the team.

I completely forgot that he was the anti-christ and that I'm suppose assume the worst and hate the Broncos as long as he is in charge. Thanks for reminding me.

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb304/timmy80906/winner.jpg

Denver Native (Carol)
01-28-2010, 12:42 PM
I firmly believe that we are waiting until after the Superbowl so that we can rehire Larry Coyer to be our DC. Because he's obviously turned into an excellent DC since he's left here.

/sarcasm.

Guess that could be a possibility, but would Indy have to let him go, or even let him interview, since it would be a lateral move?

CoachChaz
01-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Why do I have this feeling that if McD had named Martindale the DC last week that you would be criticizing him for not looking at all the options available and being too quick with his decision.

Because he would have

arapaho2
01-28-2010, 01:13 PM

not really ...because who else is out there?..who else is just sitting around we could get?....what top flight DC could we lure from the remaining four teams?

i personaly would have him rather hire martindale from inside ...a coach bailey and others endorsed..than pees

im only saying...if mcd believed in martindale what could possible be the reason for not pulling the trigger by now....what josh thinks he's gonne lure coyer back to the broncos?

rationalfan
01-28-2010, 03:47 PM
i know it's ridiculous, but i'm totally giving credit to this thread for the broncos announcing their DC appointment today.

either that, or we're clairvoyant.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-28-2010, 04:01 PM
im only saying...if mcd believed in martindale what could possible be the reason for not pulling the trigger by now....what josh thinks he's gonne lure coyer back to the broncos?

The announcement in regards to Nolan was on 1-18 - the Broncos season was over on 1-3. Possibly Martindale was out of the area - i.e. vacation, possibly he had temporary housing only here as this previous season was his first year here, and he went back to his permanent resident. Also, it takes time to draw up the contract, etc., etc., etc.

WHO KNOWS - WHO CARES :tsk:

CoachChaz
01-28-2010, 04:41 PM
The announcement in regards to Nolan was on 1-18 - the Broncos season was over on 1-3. Possibly Martindale was out of the area - i.e. vacation, possibly he had temporary housing only here as this previous season was his first year here, and he went back to his permanent resident. Also, it takes time to draw up the contract, etc., etc., etc.

Logic is not allowed here. Only negativity. havent you learned anythind in the McDaniels era?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-28-2010, 04:49 PM
Logic is not allowed here. Only negativity. havent you learned anythind in the McDaniels era?

I'm soooooooo sorry - please forgive me

:behindsofa::Cry::redface::sorry::embarassed::pout :

arapaho2
01-28-2010, 05:43 PM

ohh yeah i forgot they dont have phones where martindal lives:eek:

Denver Native (Carol)
01-28-2010, 06:34 PM
ohh yeah i forgot they dont have phones where martindal lives:eek:

Well apparently you know what the answer is then - so why don't you share it with the rest of us?????

Superchop 7
01-28-2010, 07:16 PM
It probably took a bit of time to negotiate the contract.

(Plus the grand poobah is at the senior bowl scouting midgets)

Hoser
01-29-2010, 04:12 AM
Nice to hear Dawkins say what he said about seeing Martindale as a DC.