PDA

View Full Version : Dawkins on McDaniels: "I'm behind him"

broncofaninfla
01-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Dawkins on McDaniels: "I'm behind him" (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/28/dawkins-on-mcdaniels-im-behind-him/)

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 28, 2010 9:48 AM ET
Many league observers thought Denver overpaid to bring Brian Dawkins in last offseason. The Broncos surely feel their money was well spent after the 36-year-old put together a Pro Bowl season with the Broncos.

Now Dawkins will have to learn another scheme. Defensive coordinator Mike Nolan is gone, but Dawkins says he trusts his head coach.

"If that's where Josh feels like that's we need to go in order for us to take the next step, to be on the same page, then that's what I'm willing to do," Dawkins said on NFL Network. "I told [Josh] and I'll tell you guys, I'm behind him. If he made that decision, there's a reason why he made it, I trust him, and whoever he brings in as a defensive coordinator, he's going to have Brian Dawkins on his side."
At this stage, Broncos linebackers coach Dean Martindale looks like the favorite (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/23/broncos-leaning-toward-martindale-not-pees/) to get the coordinator job. Whoever gets the gig will have an easier time winning over the locker room with Dawkins in his corner.

Traveler
01-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Is it Don or Dean Martindale?

Denver Native (Carol)
01-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Dawkins on McDaniels: "I'm behind him" (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/28/dawkins-on-mcdaniels-im-behind-him/)

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 28, 2010 9:48 AM ET
Many league observers thought Denver overpaid to bring Brian Dawkins in last offseason. The Broncos surely feel their money was well spent after the 36-year-old put together a Pro Bowl season with the Broncos.

Now Dawkins will have to learn another scheme. Defensive coordinator Mike Nolan is gone, but Dawkins says he trusts his head coach.

"If that's where Josh feels like that's we need to go in order for us to take the next step, to be on the same page, then that's what I'm willing to do," Dawkins said on NFL Network. "I told [Josh] and I'll tell you guys, I'm behind him. If he made that decision, there's a reason why he made it, I trust him, and whoever he brings in as a defensive coordinator, he's going to have Brian Dawkins on his side."
At this stage, Broncos linebackers coach Dean Martindale looks like the favorite (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/23/broncos-leaning-toward-martindale-not-pees/) to get the coordinator job. Whoever gets the gig will have an easier time winning over the locker room with Dawkins in his corner.

Vic Lombardi talked with Brian yesterday by phone, and Brian told Vic the same thing.

Nomad
01-28-2010, 11:12 AM
I wonder why McDaniels, Xanders and Bowlen are dragging their feet on getting the coaching staff together!!

Dirk
01-28-2010, 11:15 AM
I wonder why McDaniels, Xanders and Bowlen are dragging their feet on getting the coaching staff together!!

Good question. Unless they are thinking about going after one of the coaches for either NO or Indy, I'm perplexed.

Nomad
01-28-2010, 11:20 AM
Good question. Unless they are thinking about going after one of the coaches for either NO or Indy, I'm perplexed.

I thought of that as well, but if you're trying to do your homework for the defense at the Senior Bowl, wouldn't you want your DC there!:whoknows:

Dirk
01-28-2010, 11:24 AM
I thought of that as well, but if you're trying to do your homework for the defense at the Senior Bowl, wouldn't you want your DC there!:whoknows:

You would think. Unless McD already has his mind made up on the defensive side of the ball for the draft.

CoachChaz
01-28-2010, 11:27 AM

Ummm...no. Ask around the Senior Bowl and see how many DC's are in attendance. All of the practices and games from Senior Bowl week are put on film and distributed to all the NFL teams. pretty much just scouts and some position coaches in attendance.

dogfish
01-28-2010, 11:49 AM

i've been wondering about that as well, and the only thing i can think of is that they must still be interested in or looking at someone else besides martindale. . . i wish they'd go ahead and announce him for the position. . .

pretty much what you'd expect dawk to say, but it's still kinda nice to hear it. . . he's as respected as any player in the leage, his word does carry a lot of weight with his peers. . .

Nomad
01-28-2010, 11:50 AM
I guess Tomlin likes Lebeau there with him, then again what do I know!!

Biz1
01-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Since the Bears will probably be too stupid to call Plank, I would highly recommend him as a candidate. He brings an attitude and would even make a good assistant if the Broncos decide to promote from within.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/01/plank.html

Also, here's a brief clip of his playing days, they should make these hits legal again.:D

1-BuDgVEioc

arapaho2
01-28-2010, 12:04 PM
Vic Lombardi talked with Brian yesterday by phone, and Brian told Vic the same thing.

well brian called me too and said look bro...im gonna make more money this year than any other 37 yr old safety can hope to...why would i risk that by showing concern over the leadership of the team:listen:

T.K.O.
01-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Ummm...no. Ask around the Senior Bowl and see how many DC's are in attendance. All of the practices and games from Senior Bowl week are put on film and distributed to all the NFL teams. pretty much just scouts and some position coaches in attendance.

and mcD :D

CoachChaz
01-28-2010, 12:39 PM
well brian called me too and said look bro...im gonna make more money this year than any other 37 yr old safety can hope to...why would i risk that by showing concern over the leadership of the team:listen:

Conspiracy theory # 823 since McD was hired. Someone should really look into cataloguing these. They're getting hard to keep track of.

For the record...this one accuses a HIGHLY respected NFL player of intentionally going against his character and publicly backing his head coach simply because he doesnt want to screw up his contract.

arapaho2
01-28-2010, 01:08 PM
Conspiracy theory # 823 since McD was hired. Someone should really look into cataloguing these. They're getting hard to keep track of.

For the record...this one accuses a HIGHLY respected NFL player of intentionally going against his character and publicly backing his head coach simply because he doesnt want to screw up his contract.

for the record...you need to dislodge that huge stick from your anus...its a sarcastic joke dude..lighten up

claymore
01-28-2010, 01:14 PM

No kidding, Dawkins loves McD, and I would too.

underrated29
01-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Well we are certainly not looking at the colts guy. Because even though I cant remember his name right now. We already had him as our DC and fired him. Thats what then led to our demize on defense.....

Larry Coyer- is his name and while I know we wont get him back. I do not want him back. Maybe its someone on NO or an assistant with the colts. I dont care as long as they dont eff this draft up.

Nomad
01-28-2010, 01:31 PM
. I dont care as long as they dont eff this draft up.

I agree and it's known what needs the most attention!!

Denver Native (Carol)
01-28-2010, 01:43 PM

Vic RAN the conversation on his sports last night. Would you mind RUNNING your conversation with Brian on here???????????

Also, we BOTH know that if the Broncos' did not pay Brian top money, MANY other teams would be willing to

claymore
01-28-2010, 01:44 PM
I agree and it's known what needs the most attention!!

Long Snapper!

claymore
01-28-2010, 01:44 PM
Vic RAN the conversation on his sports last night. Would you mind RUNNING your conversation with Brian on here???????????

Also, we BOTH know that if the Broncos' did not pay Brian top money, MANY other teams would be willing to

Name one team that was willing to pay more.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-28-2010, 01:48 PM

I was not talking about last year - but this coming year, based on his on field performance this past season.

claymore
01-28-2010, 01:54 PM
I was not talking about last year - but this coming year, based on his on field performance this past season.

Why do you say this?

arapaho2
01-28-2010, 01:54 PM

you also need to take your stick out of your butt...way to uptight..its calls humour..try it sometime

so i didnt see a huge line looking to pay dawkins big bucks last year....nor do i think any one would pay him as he's another year older what we are paying him this season

im not saying he wasnt worth it..i think he was worth every penny..will it continue? who knows

WARHORSE
01-28-2010, 01:59 PM

Amen to that.

Dawkins character has been one of integrity since the first day he stepped onto the NFL gridiron. He is a man of faith and belief and he will not speak simply to stroke someones ego or position. He speaks plainly what he sees and believes, and everyone in the lockeroom not only understands and respects him as a player, but also as a man. His presence is one of conviction that you can question, but never quench.

Dawkins leadership is known throughout the entire NFL.

AND he's a B R O N C O.:salute:

silkamilkamonico
01-28-2010, 02:00 PM

I wonder if it has anything to do with the impending strike in 2011. Next year will be a rebuilding year more or less. I think they can squeak out another season like this year and it would be a success, but to think we can compete next year would be foolish, IMHO.

The likely lockout in 2 years is going to allow Denver the oppurtunity to build much needed stability hopefully, as players can come back in 2012 with hopefully the same coaching staff intact, which will be very important in terms of getting back in football shape and understand the scheme that your returning too.

The teams that come back after the lockout with a new staff will really struggle, IMHO.

I think McDaniels and company just wanna be sure they have a guy that will good for the next 2-3 years at least.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-28-2010, 02:02 PM
I wonder if it has anything to do with the impending strike in 2011. Next year will be a rebuilding year more or less. I think they can squeak out another season like this year and it would be a success, but to think we can compete next year would be foolish, IMHO.

The likely lockout in 2 years is going to allow Denver the oppurtunity to build much needed stability hopefully, as players can come back in 2012 with hopefully the same coaching staff intact, which will be very important in terms of getting back in football shape and understand the scheme that your returning too.

The teams that come back after the lockout with a new staff will really struggle, IMHO.

I think McDaniels and company just wanna be sure they have a guy that will good for the next 2-3 years at least.

See new thread posted - Martindale is now DC

WARHORSE
01-28-2010, 02:02 PM

I know one team wishing they had paid more: The Eaglets.

They let go of the heart of their defense. And they suffered tremendously at safety play this year.

They let go of the guy who led their team in so many categories even in the last year he was there.

So tell us all Clay: Was Dawkins worth the money, or not?

claymore
01-28-2010, 02:06 PM
I know one team wishing they had paid more: The Eaglets.

They let go of the heart of their defense. And they suffered tremendously at safety play this year.

They let go of the guy who led their team in so many categories even in the last year he was there.

So tell us all Clay: Was Dawkins worth the money, or not?
No he wasnt. He was a 2-3 year bandaid. Its not like we were a Dawkins away from the SB.

It says alot when the team he will get his jersey retired with wouldnt match what we were willing to pay.

Nomad
01-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Other than LBers coach, the coaching staff is pretty much up to date??

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=161

CoachChaz
01-28-2010, 02:38 PM
for the record...you need to dislodge that huge stick from your anus...its a sarcastic joke dude..lighten up

...and my post was serious and up tight? Come on, man

CoachChaz
01-28-2010, 02:39 PM
No he wasnt. He was a 2-3 year bandaid. Its not like we were a Dawkins away from the SB.

It says alot when the team he will get his jersey retired with wouldnt match what we were willing to pay.

Does it really? And if so...exactly what is it that it says?

claymore
01-28-2010, 02:45 PM
Does it really? And if so...exactly what is it that it says?

That he isnt worth the money.