PDA

View Full Version : BRONCOS CB CHAMP BAILEY AND S BRIAN DAWKINS NAMED TO 2000s NFL All-DECADE TEAM

Denver Native (Carol)
01-27-2010, 05:30 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=338&storyID=9821

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — Denver Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey and safety Brian Dawkins were two of 12 Pro Bowl players named to the 2000s NFL All-Decade Team, the NFL announced on Wednesday.

The NFL All-Decade teams are chosen every 10 years by the Pro Football Hall of Fame Selection Committee members. Bailey and Dawkins are the ninth and 10th players in franchise history to be named to an NFL All-Decade Team, marking the fourth consecutive decade the Broncos have placed at least one player on the team.

Bailey, whose nine Pro Bowl selections for the decade are the most among NFL defensive players, is one of 13 players in NFL history (since 1970 merger) to be selected to nine or more Pro Bowls in a decade. His 41 interceptions since 2000 rank first among league cornerbacks and third overall. He was the runner up for the 2006 NFL Defensive Player of the Year honors, as he recorded career highs in tackles (98), interceptions (10) and passes defensed (30).

“This is one of the greatest honors that you can have in this league other than team things,” Bailey said. “As far as personal goals, this one never really crossed my mind. You always try to be the best you can be. I would like to thank my family, teammates and coaches for helping me achieve this tremendous award. I would not be where I am without them.”

Dawkins, who was named a Pro Bowl starter this season, has seven Pro Bowl selections to his credit for the decade to tie John Lynch for the most among league safeties during that span. His 26 forced fumbles since 2000 are the most by a safety in the NFL and his 24 interceptions are the seventh most by a player at his position for the decade.

“This is a tremendous honor for me to be recognized as one of the best out of all the safeties who have played in the NFL this decade,” Dawkins said. “To know I’ve been able to do the things I’ve been able to do, with the help of my teammates, to earn a spot on the league’s All-decade team means a lot.”

The rest of the 2000s NFL All-Decade Team will be announced during the 2010 Pro Bowl on Sunday. The game will be broadcast live on ESPN at 7:20 p.m. EST from Sun Life Stadium in South Florida.

DENVER BRONCOS NAMED TO NFL ALL-DECADE TEAMS, SINCE 1970 MERGER
DECADE PLAYER POS. YEARS WITH DENVER
1970s Louis Wright CB 1975-86
1980s Rick Upchurch KR 1975-83
1990s Steve Atwater S 1989-98
Terrell Davis RB 1995-2002
John Elway QB 1983-98
Shannon Sharpe TE 1990-99, '02-03
Neil Smith DE 1997-99
Gary Zimmerman* T 1993-97
2000s Champ Bailey CB 2004-Pres.
Brian Dawkins S 2009-Pres.
* - Also named to 1980s NFL All-Decade Team with Minnesota

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-27-2010, 05:38 PM
More!

SOCALORADO.
01-27-2010, 05:42 PM
I bet both of them would surrender and give away every honor, pro bowl or accolade for one SB ring.
JMHO

topscribe
01-27-2010, 08:03 PM
I bet both of them would surrender and give away every honor, pro bowl or accolade for one SB ring.
JMHO

That essentially is what Champ said, "Second to the team things . . . "

-----

CrazyHorse
02-01-2010, 11:46 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-2549-Denver-Broncos-Examiner~y2010m1d31-Bailey-Dawkins-on-NFL-alldecade-team

The National Football League announced its NFL All-Decade team for 2000-09 and two Broncos were on it: cornerback Champ Bailey (above) and safety Brian Dawkins (below right).

The Broncos actually had a third player on the team -- Ty Law -- who was a backup corner who played nickle back the second half of the season in 2009 in Denver. Law is not expected back in 2010, though.

Both Bailey and Dawkins, of course, were not drafted by the Broncos.

Bailey was a first-round pick (seventh overall) by the Washington Redskins in 1999 before being traded with a second-round pick for running back Clinton Portis before the 2004 season.

Dawkins was a second-round pick by the Philadelphia Eagles in the 1996 NFL draft. Dawkins signed with the Broncos as a free agent before the 2009 season after 13 years with the Eagles.

Here's the complete NFL All-Decade team:
OFFENSE
QUARTERBACKS (2): Tom Brady, Peyton Manning
FULLBACK: Lorenzo Neal
RUNNING BACKS (4): Shaun Alexander, Jamal Lewis, Edgerrin James, LaDainian Tomlinson
WIDE RECEIVERS (4): Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens
TIGHT ENDS (2): Antonio Gates, Tony Gonzalez
OFFENSIVE TACKLES (4): Walter Jones, Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace, William Roaf
GUARDS (4): Larry Allen, Alan Faneca, Steve Hutchinson, Will Shields
CENTERS (2): Olin Kreutz, Kevin Mawae

HEAD COACHES (2): Bill Belichick, Tony Dungy

DEFENSE
DEFENSIVE ENDS (4): Dwight Freeney, Julius Peppers, Michael Strahan, Jason Taylor
DEFENSIVE TACKLES (4): La’Roi Glover, Warren Sapp, Kevin Williams, Richard Seymour
CORNERBACKS (4): Ronde Barber, Champ Bailey, Ty Law, Charles Woodson
SAFETIES (4): Ed Reed, Brian Dawkins, Troy Polamalu, Darren Sharper
LINEBACKERS (6) : Derrick Brooks, Ray Lewis, Joey Porter, Zach Thomas, Brian Urlacher, DeMarcus Ware

SPECIAL TEAMS
PUNTERS (2): Shane Lechler, Brian Moorman
PUNT RETURNERS (2): Dante Hall, Devin Hester
KICKERS (2): David Akers, Adam Vinatieri
KICK RETURNERS (2): Joshua Cribbs, Dante Hall

I guess they didn't count Ty Law