View Full Version : Mel Kiper AFC draft needs: Broncos

JONtheBRONCO
01-27-2010, 02:00 PM
AFC West

Denver Broncos

Top needs: WR, OG/C, DE, QB, DT

First round (10): WR Dez Bryant

Second-round options (45): Mike Iupati, DE Corey Wooton, DE Greg Hardy

Third-round options (80): C Justin Walton , DT Tyson Alualu, DT Al Woods, QB Sean Canfield

Summary: As I wrote in the mock, I have Bryant as a need pick based on the assumption that Brandon Marshall is gone next season. If somehow Marshall stays, things change. But Bryant is a serious deep threat, a guy who can make your QB look good on deep throws. Hardy would be a great value if he fell to No. 45, and both he and Wooton have seen their stock take a hit from injuries. Wooton is far more likely to be around. A good DT as a value in the late third would work, and maybe the Broncos take a QB if they really, really like a guy.

shank
01-27-2010, 02:04 PM
i would need to buy new pants if we got iupati in the 2nd.

Nomad
01-27-2010, 02:11 PM
Steelers meet up with lineman today and the first one they go to is Iupati!!

I see his stock going up even farther and we may be lucky to see him at 11!!

red98
01-27-2010, 02:15 PM

That would be awesome!

If we take a WR in the first round I would need to fly out to Denver and punch Mckid in the face.

claymore
01-27-2010, 02:17 PM
That would be awesome!

If we take a WR in the first round I would need to fly out to Denver and punch Mckid in the face.

Hell yeah, The recievers we have are more than capable of catching 3 yard bubble screens. We need to be able to convert third and ones, and stop the run.

underrated29
01-27-2010, 02:31 PM
I have had wooten in my mini mock for sometime. however, I have been told he is not a good fit for the 3-4. He is a traditional 4-3 and could/will probably struggle to make the transition.

But Mel is not too far off base.

turftoad
01-27-2010, 03:14 PM
"a guy who can make your QB look good on deep throws."

This is assuming we have a QB that can make a deep throw. He must be thinking that Orton will be gone. :D

CoachChaz
01-27-2010, 03:15 PM

This is assuming we have a QB that can make a deep throw. He must be thinking that Orton will be gone. :D

I think there is some vlaidity to it. if you think Orton is bad with the deep ball...watch footage of Zac Robinson

claymore
01-27-2010, 03:16 PM

Orton can throw a deep 9 yard pass like the rest of them. This offense just doesnt call for it. :D

Magnificent Seven
01-27-2010, 04:18 PM
Coach McDaniels and Broncos could surprise us again. Just like last year. We were expecting them to draft a stud defensive player...however, they drafted RB Knowsho Moreno. Everyone was saying, "WTF?" So, will we say, "WTF?" again in this April?

Ravage!!!
01-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Coach McDaniels and Broncos could surprise us again. Just like last year. We were expecting them to draft a stud defensive player...however, they drafted RB Knowsho Moreno. Everyone was saying, "WTF?" So, will we say, "WTF?" again in this April?

Hmmm..

if you had to pick one.... what position would be the biggest "WTF" pick you can think of?

CoachChaz
01-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Hmmm..

if you had to pick one.... what position would be the biggest "WTF" pick you can think of?

Would have to be safety at this point

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-27-2010, 05:10 PM
McDaniels is at senior bowl practice today basically scouting.

Magnificent Seven
01-27-2010, 05:51 PM
Hmmm..

I am expecting them to draft either WR or DL. The biggest "WTF" pick would be a place kicker and Tight End.

weazel
01-27-2010, 05:57 PM

I would need to punch someone in the face if we drafted a WR in the first round.

In McD's offense, the passes dont go further than 10 yards, why do we need a 1st round WR? Lets just sign half ass TE's or scab 3rd down RB's

spikerman
01-27-2010, 06:09 PM
Hmmm..

Another running back, but WR wouldn't be far behind.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-27-2010, 06:23 PM
Mel Kiper, you mean the guy that predicted the Patriots would go 0-16 in 2001?

HORSEPOWER 56
01-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Hmmm..

My "WTF" pick for the 1st round is Joe Haden, CB. We have zero depth at CB right now. If either Champ or Goodman get injured, a starting spot will go to either Smith or Carter (whoever McDaniels hates less that week).

Hell, if we want a "WR" for this scheme, we should just draft Dexter McCluster in a later round and throw 3 yd passes to him all day. The kid is hella-talented in the open field.

elsid13
01-27-2010, 08:31 PM
Would have to be safety at this point

or a running back

CJ Spiller will look good in blue and orange.

BroncoWave
01-27-2010, 08:41 PM
My "WTF" pick for the 1st round is Joe Haden, CB. We have zero depth at CB right now. If either Champ or Goodman get injured, a starting spot will go to either Smith or Carter (whoever McDaniels hates less that week).

Hell, if we want a "WR" for this scheme, we should just draft Dexter McCluster in a later round and throw 3 yd passes to him all day. The kid is hella-talented in the open field.

No way McCluster falls anywhere past round 3 IMO. I watched many of his games on TV and in person and had Houston Nutt used him at all last year, he would have walked away with the Heisman. That may sound crazy but Nutt basically ignored him for half the year but he was absolutely unstoppable when he was in the game. Easily the most explosive player in college football last year. He can play WR or RB and I think he will be quite a good player in this league.

Biz1
01-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Hate to be a thread killer here:

But Mel Kiper was all over Caleb Hanie 2 years ago on ESPN 1000 radio in Chicago. Umm, Hanie is still riding pine here.

Kiper is good, just be aware that he can miss talent along with the remainder of the so-called experts IMHO.

The Glue Factory
01-27-2010, 09:12 PM
Not to mention that it looks like McDaniels drafts on a best player available basis rather than what the team "needs" are.

Nomad
01-27-2010, 10:11 PM
No way McCluster falls anywhere past round 3 IMO. I watched many of his games on TV and in person and had Houston Nutt used him at all last year, he would have walked away with the Heisman. That may sound crazy but Nutt basically ignored him for half the year but he was absolutely unstoppable when he was in the game. Easily the most explosive player in college football last year. He can play WR or RB and I think he will be quite a good player in this league.

I agree!!

I, along with the rest of LSU fans, am glad to see him leave!

Denver Native (Carol)
01-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Not to mention that it looks like McDaniels drafts on a best player available basis rather than what the team "needs" are.

That has been the pattern of the Broncos for some time, regardless who the HC was.

Broncolingus
01-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Hell yeah, The recievers we have are more than capable of catching 3 yard bubble screens. We need to be able to convert third and ones, and stop the run.

...what he said.

JDL
01-27-2010, 11:29 PM
I would honestly be surprised if the Broncos draft board didn't look a little bit like this for that 10/11 pick.

1) Jimmy Clausen QB Notre Dame
2) Rolando McClaine ILB Alabama
3) Mike Iupati OG Idaho (It's rare for the top inside OL not to be taken RD 1, particularly one as talented physically as Iupati, huge hands and longest arms at the Senior Bowl, 1st rd guaranteed.)
4) Dez Bryant WR OSU
5) Dan Williams NT Tennessee (I like Cody more than most, but the reality is his weight won't play well in the Mile High altitude.)
Sleeper: Jermaine Gresham TE Oklahoma (could contribute to both the passing and blocking issues... Daniel Graham may only be 1 season before he is gone, Quinn does nothing for the passing game and New England hasn't been shy about taking TEs in RD 1... so that probably rubbed off on McDaniels)

broncohead
01-27-2010, 11:53 PM
Hmmm..

long snapper...

Brand
01-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Steelers meet up with lineman today and the first one they go to is Iupati!!

I see his stock going up even farther and we may be lucky to see him at 11!!

If he's there at 11, I'd be fine with taking him. With Clady, that side of the line woukd be set for a while. I understand the reluctance to take a lineman at 11, particularly a G, but he'd be a good response to the poweroutage on runs in the Red Zone. Hard to see he and Clady would not get at least the two yards....

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-28-2010, 12:50 AM
If he's there at 11, I'd be fine with taking him. With Clady, that side of the line woukd be set for a while. I understand the reluctance to take a lineman at 11, particularly a G, but he'd be a good response to the poweroutage on runs in the Red Zone. Hard to see he and Clady would not get at least the two yards....

I think a nose tackle is a higher priority at #11. I feel like there will be serviceable guards in round two and three. Just my opinion of course.

honz
01-28-2010, 01:01 AM
Some of you guys are dumb parrots.

SoCalImport
01-28-2010, 08:18 AM
Some of you guys are dumb parrots.

Guilty as charged, officer.

TXBRONC
01-28-2010, 09:59 AM

I thought Iupati graded out as a first round pick?

CoachChaz
01-28-2010, 10:05 AM
I thought Iupati graded out as first round pick?

He does and alot of people are gushing over him at the Senior Bowl, but most of the people (GM's, scouts) are actually looking at him as a right tackle. My guess is he could go anywhere after 18 or so

SOCALORADO.
01-28-2010, 10:42 AM
He does and alot of people are gushing over him at the Senior Bowl, but most of the people (GM's, scouts) are actually looking at him as a right tackle. My guess is he could go anywhere after 18 or so

I think Iupati is closely tied to SF in that they have 2 1sts in the teens, and need O-Line help. If SF had only one 1st, i see him going between 18 and the top of the 2nd round.

Nomad
01-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Looking at Denver's draft history, last guard drafted #1 was Steve Schindler (1977). So I guess fat chance of Denver drafting a guard in the first!! McDaniels will probably draft Tebow!!:rolleyes:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/history/team/DEN

HORSEPOWER 56
01-28-2010, 08:07 PM

I know. McCluster's my boy. He's insanely talented. Unfortunately, he's 5' 8" tall and 180 lbs right now. Not exactly the measurables you look for in either RB or WR. He could easily be the next Darren Sproles/Reggie Bush type of hybrid, though. I'd draft that!

T.K.O.
01-28-2010, 09:30 PM
I think Iupati is closely tied to SF in that they have 2 1sts in the teens, and need O-Line help. If SF had only one 1st, i see him going between 18 and the top of the 2nd round.

after we trade marshall to san fran for a 1st and a 3rd....we can have our way with the draft !:beer:

JDL
01-28-2010, 09:36 PM
I think a nose tackle is a higher priority at #11. I feel like there will be serviceable guards in round two and three. Just my opinion of course.

If there was a highly rated guy... there really isn't. Cody isn't likely to play well in the thin air of Denver and that leaves Dan Williams who was a 3rd rounder not so long ago and has climbed up boards and is an ok player, but Iupati is a much MUCH surer bet, if we are going to reach for a Line prospect, I'd rather make sure we get someone we KNOW will be good, and interior OL, particularly Guards are probably the safest and best analyzed position in the draft. Most comparisons have him becoming very similar to Alan Faneca. You want to power run, there ya go. (Just look at the Jets.)

JDL
01-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Looking at Denver's draft history, last guard drafted #1 was Steve Schindler (1977). So I guess fat chance of Denver drafting a guard in the first!! McDaniels will probably draft Tebow!!:rolleyes:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/history/team/DEN

We have a new philosophy in town... last I checked Damien Woody and Logan Mankins were interior OL drafted by the Patriots under BB/McD-present .... but I could be wrong (know I'm not ;) but just sayin...lol)

I really don't see a prohibitive factor to us drafting Iupati. Btw, he doesn't project to RT (I mean he could, but that isn't why he is hyped up) he is a pure LG with the physical ability to play LT (but far too raw.) The top interior OL almost always goes in round 1. Looks like Iupati projects somewhere in the first round, can't be sure how high at this point until after the combine (juniors), but there doesn't seem to be much more than 10 players better than him at this point. He probably rank out around the 16-18 best prospect in the draft all things considered. Probably a future pro bowler, bare minimum 10 year starter. I am ok with building the OL.

Nomad
01-29-2010, 08:02 AM
We have a new philosophy in town... last I checked Damien Woody and Logan Mankins were interior OL drafted by the Patriots under BB/McD-present .... but I could be wrong (know I'm not ;) but just sayin...lol)

I really don't see a prohibitive factor to us drafting Iupati. Btw, he doesn't project to RT (I mean he could, but that isn't why he is hyped up) he is a pure LG with the physical ability to play LT (but far too raw.) The top interior OL almost always goes in round 1. Looks like Iupati projects somewhere in the first round, can't be sure how high at this point until after the combine (juniors), but there doesn't seem to be much more than 10 players better than him at this point. He probably rank out around the 16-18 best prospect in the draft all things considered. Probably a future pro bowler, bare minimum 10 year starter. I am ok with building the OL.

Didn't think of looking under the Patriots draft history and last I read he's not doing so hot at the LT position. 16-18 prospect means Steelers only get even better up front!!

BTW, what is Denver's new philosophy for the offense????

CoachChaz
01-29-2010, 08:25 AM

Look into what scouts and GM's are saying. They like his size as a RT...not LT, mainly because RT is more of a run blocker. And to be honest, he actually fits better as a RG if we're getting technical. RG is usually left in more 1 on 1 situations and typically faces the best DT on the other side. While LG pulls more, the RG is expected to get out into the secondary alot more. In passing situations, the C will typically slide left for baskside protection and help out the LG...which creates the 1 on 1's for the RG. LG has more of the "glamour" names, but from reading articles and interviews in the past...most OL will tell you RG is more difficult than LG and the main reason is LG gets more help.

TXBRONC
01-29-2010, 11:43 AM
If there was a highly rated guy... there really isn't. Cody isn't likely to play well in the thin air of Denver and that leaves Dan Williams who was a 3rd rounder not so long ago and has climbed up boards and is an ok player, but Iupati is a much MUCH surer bet, if we are going to reach for a Line prospect, I'd rather make sure we get someone we KNOW will be good, and interior OL, particularly Guards are probably the safest and best analyzed position in the draft. Most comparisons have him becoming very similar to Alan Faneca. You want to power run, there ya go. (Just look at the Jets.)

It takes everyone time to adjust to playing at that elevation. I would still like to see if Denver take Cody if he's available. I would also be ok with this kid from Idaho.

CoachChaz
01-29-2010, 11:55 AM
I think the one benefit to Cody is that ONE player is not going to block him. Problem is ...he'll only be out therre for maybe 50% of the plays. His conditioning is pathetic. he couldnt push himself to get on the field more in Georgia over 4 years, how can we expect him to be motivated enough to do it in Denver?

topscribe
01-29-2010, 02:22 PM

I don't believe that will happen. Iupati is special in the opinion of too many, I
believe. If the Broncos take a WR in the first, it is my opinion they can forget
about Iupati . . .

-----

TXBRONC
01-29-2010, 02:26 PM
I think the one benefit to Cody is that ONE player is not going to block him. Problem is ...he'll only be out therre for maybe 50% of the plays. His conditioning is pathetic. he couldnt push himself to get on the field more in Georgia over 4 years, how can we expect him to be motivated enough to do it in Denver?

I agree at 365lbs he's about 30lbs to heavy. The conditioning can be improved of course he has to want to do it. From what saw from the SEC championship game he looked quick for guy of his size.

Nomad
01-29-2010, 02:28 PM
I don't believe that will happen. Iupati is special in the opinion of too many, I
believe. If the Broncos take a WR in the first, it is my opinion they can forget
about Iupati . . .

-----

Like I said before, if he's as great as being hyped up (and I'm hook, line and sinker for they guy), he won't make it past BUF probably OAK!!

Then everyone can have their Dez Bryant that will get frustrated because the balls not getting to him because of lack of protection for Orton!!

CoachChaz
01-29-2010, 02:58 PM
I dont see Iupati going before #11. The draft is strange and it could happen, but I really think that if we dont take him at 11...we can forget about him.

SOCALORADO.
01-29-2010, 04:51 PM
I dont see Iupati going before #11. The draft is strange and it could happen, but I really think that if we dont take him at 11...we can forget about him.

I see Iupati going in the early to mid teens. SF has 2 picks in there, and they need O-line help. PIT, even PHIL a little later. I am hoping he makes it to #25 and if DEN trades with BALT(Marshall) hes still there but....

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-29-2010, 05:07 PM
I would hate to watch Denver spend the #11 pick in the draft on a guard, especially when the D-line is so important and guards are always hanging around later in the draft.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
01-29-2010, 05:08 PM
I see Iupati going in the early to mid teens. SF has 2 picks in there, and they need O-line help. PIT, even PHIL a little later. I am hoping he makes it to #25 and if DEN trades with BALT(Marshall) hes still there but....

Why would Denver send Marshall to an AFC team that the Broncos have to play this season? I don't see any chance of that happening to Marshall.

SOCALORADO.
01-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Why would Denver send Marshall to an AFC team that the Broncos have to play this season? I don't see any chance of that happening to Marshall.

Yeah, well if your MCD i think he doesnt give a rats butt where he goes if he gets a 1st and 3rd. I think he looks for the best offer period, and makes the deal. Might not be BALT, but if it is, i think he will take it in a heartbeat.
And thats exactly what BALT would more than likely offer.
BALT is a better team than DEN WITHOUT Marshall.
So beating DEN mid season isnt going to suprise anyone with Marshall.

Ziggy
01-29-2010, 05:39 PM
I would hate to watch Denver spend the #11 pick in the draft on a guard, especially when the D-line is so important and guards are always hanging around later in the draft.

I understand the philosiphy of getting guards later in the draft, but Iupati is special. Does anyone really think that the Seahawks wouldn't use the 17th overall pick on Steve Hutchinson all over again, or even a top 5 pick? Most other teams in the NFL would also. Iupati not only is the best guard in the draft, but he might also be the best right tackle in the draft.

Lonestar
01-29-2010, 06:09 PM

Why not unless they send him to OAK,SAN or KC we would she he at most once every 3 years and even less in the NFC.

IMHO We should take the highest bidder, with the lowest draft choice and laugh all the way to the DRAFT and BANK.

This guy is as can't miss as you can get and should be around for 10-15 years or more. Unlike most RB's that last about 4 years rarely do you see one more then 6-8.

If we have a stellar OLINE then RB's do not have to be super special. You get better at QB just because he has time to survey the field. TE can go out in pass routes because the 5 OLines guys are able to handle the load, you can have a bunch of WR running patterns because you do not have to have a second TE in blocking.

A guy like this will make Harris or Clady better and certainly can help the center looks better also.

elsid13
01-29-2010, 07:24 PM

The depth of this draft in the defense line, safeties and wide receivers. Denver will be able to find help in the second, third or fourth in one of those position. There is general weakness in the interior offense line play, so if there is good guard or center prospect it better to jump on him earlier.

JONtheBRONCO
01-31-2010, 12:11 AM
Mike Iupati-G-Player Jan. 30 - 8:06 pm et

Idaho's Mike Iupati struggled noticeably at right guard in the Senior Bowl.

Iupati played well at left guard, showing nice strength and athleticism to spring Oregon's LaGarrette Blount for a touchdown. On the right side, though, he was dominated by Tennessee NT Dan Williams and Georgia DE Geno Atkins. Billed as a versatile lineman, Iupati may be limited to left guard in the pros.

Source: Sacramento Bee

Related: Geno Atkins, Dan Williams

broncobryce
01-31-2010, 12:20 AM

Iupati played well at left guard, showing nice strength and athleticism to spring Oregon's LaGarrette Blount for a touchdown. On the right side, though, he was dominated by Tennessee NT Dan Williams and Georgia DE Geno Atkins. Billed as a versatile lineman, Iupati may be limited to left guard in the pros.

I didn't watch a ton of the game, but that's what I saw too. And at LT in Senior Bowl practices he didn't do great either from what I understand. I don't care, I want him for LG to make a wall with him and Clady.

Ziggy
01-31-2010, 12:37 AM
I didn't watch a ton of the game, but that's what I saw too. And at LT in Senior Bowl practices he didn't do great either from what I understand. I don't care, I want him for LG to make a wall with him and Clady.

I want Iupati also, but even when he was playing left guard today, he was dominated by Dan Williams. Williams was clearly the better player of the two, and probably moved into the top 12.

Lonestar
01-31-2010, 12:39 AM

Just so happens we need a OLG.

I suspect that he can or could play ORG also. Give him a couple of years with a good OLINE coach and wonders will happen for decade or more.

atwater27
01-31-2010, 12:39 AM
We need the same thing now that we have needed for the last 5 years at least. The number one need for the Denver Broncos is defensive lineman, particularly DT. It's funny that a complete coaching change did nothing to solve the problem. How hard is it to understand that besides QB, the most important position to fill correctly is DT. Do whatever you can to get them, the good ones definitely do not grow on trees. And they aren't cheap.

sneakers
01-31-2010, 01:02 AM
Mel Kiper is retarded

Nomad
01-31-2010, 09:36 AM
I was hoping Iupati played lights out because I was hoping for another Steve Hutchinson to come around, he could of had a bad game too. I don't know but he better have a good combine or his stock will drop even more!! I'm still on his band wagon, but at this moment I'd take Williams at 11 if Denver can't land one of the top FA NG.

I wonder if they'll replay the Senior Bowl today!!

broncohead
01-31-2010, 12:45 PM
Iupati and Williams in the first (assuming we get a 1st with Marshal or Dume) sounds good to me!

powderaddict
01-31-2010, 01:56 PM
We need the same thing now that we have needed for the last 5 years at least. The number one need for the Denver Broncos is defensive lineman, particularly DT. It's funny that a complete coaching change did nothing to solve the problem. How hard is it to understand that besides QB, the most important position to fill correctly is DT. Do whatever you can to get them, the good ones definitely do not grow on trees. And they aren't cheap.

Yeah! McDaniels has had year to fill the what, only one hole on the entire defense, and in all those year he did nothing to help the d-line! He filled both safety positions, which baffles me because obviously those positions where set for years, did nothing for the d-line like sign any free agent NT's or sign any projects for the d-line, and it's obvious that he doesn't even care about the defense!

atwater27
01-31-2010, 02:32 PM
Yeah! McDaniels has had year to fill the what, only one hole on the entire defense, and in all those year he did nothing to help the d-line! He filled both safety positions, which baffles me because obviously those positions where set for years, did nothing for the d-line like sign any free agent NT's or sign any projects for the d-line, and it's obvious that he doesn't even care about the defense!

My criticism is of Shanahan, Bowlen and the new guy. And MCD obviously cares about improving on D after letting Nolan go so easily. And hiring generic free agents didn't do crap for the line.