PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the ESPN Bottomline ticker on the forum?

Tned
03-04-2008, 02:16 AM
Should the ticker stay or go?

If you like it, do you want it on the top, or bottom of the site?

Or just on the homepage?

I've changed it to just the homepage Http://www.broncosforums.com

Requiem / The Dagda
03-04-2008, 02:30 AM
It's kind of annoying man. . . I wanna close it, but it don't let me.

dogfish
03-04-2008, 02:45 AM
i don't like it. . . it's more of a distraction than anything-- clutters the clean lines of the page, IMO. . . moreover, i think ESPiN blows, and i'd rather not see their name attached to this place. . .

no big deal one way or the other, though. . . and i definitely appreciate your desire to keep adding features to the board. . . :cheers:

BroncoBJ
03-04-2008, 02:57 AM
I like it. So far I'm the only one who posted here who likes it. :(
That was the first thing I noticed just now when I signed on and I wouldn't mind having it on the top or bottom of the site page.

I love ESPN Tickers. Sometimes I watch ESPNNEWS all day long and just watch the bottom of the screen :lol:

IMO its a good addition to the site and its pretty harmless if you ask me.

ChampWJ
03-04-2008, 04:08 AM
I thought it was awesome. However, I wasn't too thrilled to see that it reloads itself and starts over every time you load a page. As fast as I click through pages here, I never saw it get past the first couple news items or the loading message.

underrated29
03-04-2008, 09:15 AM
i never noticed it unitl now. I htink its pretty cool, but i am never on the main page for more then like 2 seconds so it does me no good there.....But its neat, i have never seen something like this on a page and it makes our site that much better, me thinks.

Maybe we could put it at the bottom of the post pages thing. OR whatever you call it. Like whatsomeone else said. Maybe at the bottom it will be out of the way for people who dont like it, but for us that do we can still see it....

Whatever though like dog said, i am cool with whatever.

Tned
03-04-2008, 09:41 AM
i never noticed it unitl now. I htink its pretty cool, but i am never on the main page for more then like 2 seconds so it does me no good there.....But its neat, i have never seen something like this on a page and it makes our site that much better, me thinks.

Maybe we could put it at the bottom of the post pages thing. OR whatever you call it. Like whatsomeone else said. Maybe at the bottom it will be out of the way for people who dont like it, but for us that do we can still see it....

Whatever though like dog said, i am cool with whatever.

I originally had it showing up on every page, right below the "New Posts, Members, etc." Navbar, but some didn't like it because it reloaded every time you changed pages on the forum.

Right now, a downside to it, is it reloads every time you click a new post or new page.

Depending on the poll results, I might try and create a page that wraps the entire forum, so that the ticker will load once, but as you go from post to post, it doesn't constantly reload, and instead just sits there getting the news streams from ESPN. It could then be put at the VERY extreme top, or VERY extrem bottom, if we go this route.

OB
03-04-2008, 12:38 PM
I just noticed it on the main page today - i thought it was cool - since im not a post whore like some people - it doesnt bother me that it reloads since im not jumping from post to post - teehehehe

But seriously - i like it on the main page :2thumbs:

Rick
03-04-2008, 12:57 PM
If I may make a suggestion since some mentioned not neing able to close it, make a custom block on the main page that the sort number places it on the top and place it in there and make the block full page.

The blocks are closable.

Tned
03-04-2008, 01:02 PM
If I may make a suggestion since some mentioned not neing able to close it, make a custom block on the main page that the sort number places it on the top and place it in there and make the block full page.

The blocks are closable.

If I keep it, depending on the feedback, I might go the route of wrapping the banner and the forum both in an HTML page with iframes. That would put the ticker at the very top, above the forum header and it wouldn't reload.

If I don't go that route, than putting it in a vBadvanced block would make sense as you describe.

BOSSHOGG30
03-04-2008, 04:02 PM
I like it... I like it alot

fcspikeit
03-05-2008, 03:38 PM
If I keep it, depending on the feedback, I might go the route of wrapping the banner and the forum both in an HTML page with iframes. That would put the ticker at the very top, above the forum header and it wouldn't reload.

If I don't go that route, than putting it in a vBadvanced block would make sense as you describe.

I think its great!

I already come here for Broncos news over anywhere else. With the tracker being here, I will never have to sit and watch basketball highlights again, waiting for the NFL to come up on the tracker.

One thing is for sure though, If we do decide to keep it and I really hope we do. The reloading every time you open a new page wont work. Also, if it is only on the front page, anyone who want to watch it will have to wait there for it to scroll through. IMO it would be much better if it was always there on top in another page as you said. Then you could go about your business and not have to wait to watch it.

Great idea Tned! I love how you keep looking for ways to make this site better.

Where did it go? I can't find it on any of the pages...

Last question, will it only have football news or will it be all sports? I would vassily prefer it be just NFL news...

SR
03-05-2008, 07:33 PM
It's no less cluttered or distracting than the row of high 5s for the posts.

Jody
03-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Should the ticker stay or go?

If you like it, do you want it on the top, or bottom of the site?

Or just on the homepage?

I've changed it to just the homepage http://www.broncosforums.com

I LOVE it, absolutely love it. Nice work Tned.
Was this done under the influence of wine? ;)

OB
03-05-2008, 09:26 PM
My only other comment would be to ESPN - update the ticker more - i already know Moss resigned - JW is a trader in the wrose possible form and Brett is saying adios

Great job by u Tned :salute:

If u werent married - i would so totally enjoy sharing a bottle or three of Riesling with you ;)

Tned
03-06-2008, 09:01 PM
I think its great!

I already come here for Broncos news over anywhere else. With the tracker being here, I will never have to sit and watch basketball highlights again, waiting for the NFL to come up on the tracker.

One thing is for sure though, If we do decide to keep it and I really hope we do. The reloading every time you open a new page wont work. Also, if it is only on the front page, anyone who want to watch it will have to wait there for it to scroll through. IMO it would be much better if it was always there on top in another page as you said. Then you could go about your business and not have to wait to watch it.

Great idea Tned! I love how you keep looking for ways to make this site better.

Where did it go? I can't find it on any of the pages...

Last question, will it only have football news or will it be all sports? I would vassily prefer it be just NFL news...

I don't know the answer to most of those questions :D

Unofortunately, I am now traveling on business, and don't know if I will have the free time to play with it, plus I am on a laptop, which makes any development tough.

My thought now is to create a wrapper web-page that would have two iframes. This would be invisible to the user, but would basically seperate the forum page reloads from the ticker reloads. Once you opened the forum up, the ticker would be at the very top (above the header graphic) or very bottom. It would only reload if you hit refresh or closed and reopened the banner. If you simply moved between posts, went to User CP, etc., the ticker wouldn't have to reload.

However, I need to research this, because while I have read of this technique to put flash banners up or things like the ticker, I have also heard their can be problems with cookie storage. Now, I think that is only if you are wrapping a forum with a different domain than the main page. I just have to do some more research when I get time.

Also, I 'think' that once it is installed correctly, each user will be able to change the settings for what they want. So, you would be able to choose just NFL, or all sports, or any combination you want.

Jody
03-07-2008, 06:42 AM
I don't know the answer to most of those questions :D

Unofortunately, I am now traveling on business, and don't know if I will have the free time to play with it, plus I am on a laptop, which makes any development tough.

My thought now is to create a wrapper web-page that would have two iframes. This would be invisible to the user, but would basically seperate the forum page reloads from the ticker reloads. Once you opened the forum up, the ticker would be at the very top (above the header graphic) or very bottom. It would only reload if you hit refresh or closed and reopened the banner. If you simply moved between posts, went to User CP, etc., the ticker wouldn't have to reload.

However, I need to research this, because while I have read of this technique to put flash banners up or things like the ticker, I have also heard their can be problems with cookie storage. Now, I think that is only if you are wrapping a forum with a different domain than the main page. I just have to do some more research when I get time.

Also, I 'think' that once it is installed correctly, each user will be able to change the settings for what they want. So, you would be able to choose just NFL, or all sports, or any combination you want.

It's a great feature here, especially if it can be somewhat customized.

CoachChaz
03-07-2008, 08:23 AM
I'd like to see it on the forum page in the same spot. I spend more time here than I do on the front page.

Tned
03-07-2008, 11:24 PM
I'd like to see it on the forum page in the same spot. I spend more time here than I do on the front page.

I don't think I will get a chance over the next 9 or so days when I am on my trip, but will try and work on it as soon as I get back. We are probably looking at 2 weeks or so before I might have something in place, maybe a bit longer.