PDA

View Full Version : the Unofficial "Post Your Mock Here" Thread

dogfish
03-04-2008, 01:17 AM
feel free to post your mocks here as well, broncos or full league. . . . this is my first one of the year-- it's always a lot easier once free agency has been more or less completed, but i'm off work tomorrow, and trapped inside by freezing rain, so WTH. . . go ahead and comment, criticize, and mock. . . but remember, i'm not G-money-- and you're not mel kiper :laugh: -- so don't be too hard on me. . . as with every mock, some of my projected guys may not be there (i think it's especially hard to predict 2nd day guys), so i included alternate selections with every pick. . .

1st. OT ryan clady / boise state - i actually like the value better with stewart or mendenhall here, but i just don't think we can go into the season without another left tackle on the roster, especially with harris' history of back problems. . . clady brings great size, wingspan and athleticism, and is generally regarded by scouts as a quality top-15 selection. . . has tremendous upside but limited experience at the position-- still somewhat raw and will need technique work as well as dedication in the weight room to reach his potential. . . is comfortable with the ZBS and should fit well in our scheme. . . has the foot quickness and balance for the left side, and can get to the second level and block in space. . . could challenge pears on the right side if harris works out. . .

alternate selections:

RB jonathon stewart / oregon
RB reshard mendenhall / illinois

2nd. DT trevor laws / notre dame - hard-working, productive player who lacks elite physical tools but compensates with desire and hustle. . . squatty tackle doesn't have the size and strength to dominate, but plays with good leverage and is very active. . . reminds me a little bit of a guy i wanted last year, brandon mebane, who showed his worth this year in the seasquawks DT rotation. . . won't consistently reset the LOS like bigger tackles can, but his quickness and determination should help our run efense. . .

alternate selections:

DT pat simms / auburn
OT gosder cherilus / boston college
LB jerod mayo / tennessee
RB jamaal charles / texas

4th. FB owen schmitt / west virginia - just a hard-nosed football player. . . throwback who plays with a mean streak and looks to blow guys up-- would bring an immediate infusion of toughness and physicality that the broncos are in serious need of, and would be a big asset as a triple threat in short yardage situations. . . i honestly don't think he falls this far, but i've at least gotta put him on here-- i would even trade up to get him. . . FB may not be at the top of our list of needs, but with sapp apparently not coming back it does become a position that needs some attention, and you can plug schmitt in and forget about it for the next decade. . .

alternate selections:

RB tashard choice / georgia tech
OL jeremy zuttah / rutgers

4th. S jonathon heffney / tennessee - may or may not be there depending on how teams feel about his height. . . undersized converted corner projects as a center fielder type, but is willing in run support-- instinctive and spends a lot of time around the ball. . . durable, productive three year starter, and was a successful punt returner in college. . . could supplant lynch in the nickel and dime packages initially. . . at worst, should be a quality depth and special teams player. . .

alternate selection:

S thomas decoud / california

5th. WR jerome simpson / coastal carolina -intriguing small school prospect who dominated at the D2 level-- starred in track as well as football. . . has solid NFL measurables-- may take time to develop, but he has long term potential. . . scouting reports say that he attacks the ball in the air, and wins jump balls with exceptional hops and desire. . . worth taking a flier here, IMO. . .

alternate selection:

WR will franklin / missouri

5th. LB jordan dizon / colorado - instinctive athlete with fantastic intangibles, but he's limited by lack of prototypical NFL size and measurables. . . high-motor player will make a quality special teamer and depth player. . . former CU buff will be a fan favorite and great locker room guy-- has the potential to fill the role vacated by keith burns. . .

alternate selection:

LB bryan kehl / BYU

7th. P mike dragosovich / north dakota state - big power punter who hopefully isn't on 'roids. . . one of the top-rated prospects, he's worth a pick if he's still there. . .

alternate selection:

P ken debauche / wisconsin

7th. K taylor mehlhaff / wisconsin - we need a kicker, and denver has been rumored to be interested in him-- works for me. . . mehlhaff, debauche and dragosovich all have experience kicking in the elements, which is a bonus. . .

alternate selection:

K brandon coutu / georgia

all in all, a pretty conservative draft IMO-- it spends both day one picks in the trenches, and goes along with the philosophy that we're currently in a rebuilding mode and aren't likely to fill all of our immediate holes with starting-caliber players in just one draft. . . it's based on the presumption that we're not able to trade down, because it's just easier this way. . . as of right now, we know for a fact that we have these picks, so doing it this way removes one level of speculation. . . alright, hack away-- or post your own. . .

edit: disclaimer - this is NOT a prediction of what i think the broncos will do. . . i'll try to put one of those together sometime in the next few days (for a preview, you can expect to see LB and either WR or safety as the 1st day selections). . . .

frauschieze
03-04-2008, 08:34 AM
Dear dogfish,

I thought this thread was entitled "Mock Your Post". I was all set to make fun of myself. Maybe I need to get my eyes checked.

Yours truly,
Cheese

SmilinAssasSin27
03-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Trade Back acquiring a mid/late #1 and a #2:

1-Kenny Phillips, S, Miami (FL)
2a-Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State
2b-Jon Goff, MLB, Vanderbilt
4a-Ahtyba Rubin, DT, Iowa State
4b-Barry Richardson, OT, Clemson
5a-Kerry Brown, OG, Appalachian State
5b-Antwaun Molden, CB, Eastern Kentucky
7a/7b-K/P

BOSSHOGG30
03-04-2008, 10:50 AM
I will wait and see how the rest of free agency plays out. Signing Boss Bailey would change things as well as the possibility of a trade for Robertson from the Jets or the signing of him if the Jets cut him before his roster bonus is due.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-04-2008, 11:00 AM
...and don't forget about Rod Coleman.

dogfish
03-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Dear dogfish,

I thought this thread was entitled "Mock Your Post". I was all set to make fun of myself. Maybe I need to get my eyes checked.

Yours truly,
Cheese

dear cheese,

life is your playground-- do what you want with it. . .

sincerely,

-dogfish

broncohead
03-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Assuming we pick up B. Baily to play SLB and we trade back to the early 20's and pick up a 3rd.

1. K. Rivers WLB- Helps our Run D and will be a starter from day one.
2. D. Thomas WR- We don't have a clear #2 WR and Thomas will help when we get back to the playoff in 2 years.
3. Harrison DT- We need help stopping the run from the front 4
4a. Rubin DT- See 3.
4b. Josh Barrett S- Seems like Shanny likes taking risks in the 4th and Barrett has rare size and athleticism.
5a. Xavier Omon RB- I don't know where he is projected but he has a lot of production and a solid build. I think he would flurish in our ZBS.

With the rest of our 4 picks I would like to pick up 2 OL and a kicker because we don't have one anymore. Picking DTs is like trying to find a needle in a hay stack so thats why there are 2. Hopefully we strike gold with one of those two.

dogfish
03-04-2008, 08:31 PM
okay, here's my attempt to actually project denver's draft, futile as we all know such an exercise to be. . .

1st. S kenny phillips / miami - john lynch can't play much longer, and the fact that we almost cut him over money suggests to me that shenanigans is planning to address the position with more than just marquand manuel. . . ferguson and cox are gone, foxworth may be gone by the start of the season-- abdullah may not be more than a warm body, and cargile and rogers may not even be that. . . we were reportedly interested in whitner two years ago, and this spot is clearly long overdue for an infusion of young talent. . . there has been a fairly brisk debate as to whether or not phillips belongs in the 1st round, so shenanigans taking him at #12 shouldn't surprise anyone. . . besides, mike loves his florida guys. . .

alternate choices:

WR malcolm kelly / oklahoma
LB keith rivers / USC

2nd. WR devin thomas / michigan state - we all know that mike loves to stock up on skill position guys with his high picks-- you really think he's happy with keary colbert? thomas projects as an ideal #2 for us, with solid size and the speed to complement marshall and stretch the field. . . precise route running and ability to run after the catch make him a great fit in the west coast offense. . . another legitimate starting WR gives us insurance against a marshall injury, and gives cutler a trio of quality targets to grow with. . . thomas also has potential as a kick returner. . .

alternate choices:

WR andre caldwell / florida :laugh:
DT pat simms / auburn
RB jamaal charles / texas

4th. OL jeremy zuttah / rutgers - prototypical zone blocker is moving up charts after a strong combine performance. . . undersized for tackle, but that won't stop shenanigans from potentially putting him there, and he has the kind of versatility mike loves in his OLs. . .

alternate choices:

OT tony hills / texas
OT duane brown / virginia tech

4th. DT frank okam / texas - classic shanahan "value" pick-- underachiever with lots of untapped ability. . . just the kind of potential bargain mike loves to roll the dice on in hopes of filling this pressing need on the cheap so that he can spend his high picks on the skill positions he prefers. . . also, another school that we're partial to. . .

alternate choice:

RB tashard choice / georgia tech

5th. FB jacob hester / LSU - we need another fullback if sapp walks, and taking hester would allow shanahan to avoid finding a pure lead blocker. . . hester is the type of hybrid/'tweener that mike loves-- tough, high character, and undersized for the position. . . has ideal running and receiving skills to be under-utilized in our offense, and gives us another SEC guy. . .

alternate choice:

OL pedro sosa / rutgers

5th. K taylor mehlhaff / wisconsin - this is the top end of the range where i'm seeing him projected, but that's never stopped shenanigans once he's identified his guy. . . we don't have a 6th, so we'll take him here. . .

7th. RB chauncey washington / USC - has good size and strength but lacks other special characteristics. . . one-speed grinder, what you see is what you get. . . lost time to academic ineligibility. . . practice squad candidate would give us some size if travis henry goes down for an extended period. . .

alternate choice:

RB/RS rafael little / kentucky

7th. DT derek loki / texas - after collecting most of the florida linemen, texas is next. . . undersized battler goes to the practice sqaud for now. . .

alternate choice:

DE dorian smith / oregon state

if we still add boss bailey i think this type of scenario becomes quite likely. . . shanahan's MO for years has been to spend his high draft choices on LBs, WRs and DBs (more corners than safeties, but he can make an exception), while looking to build his running game with 2nd day picks and his DL with free agents. . . last year he went outside the box, and in the process got enough 1st day linemen to last him another ten years or so-- this year, he's back to form. . . .

shank
03-04-2008, 10:06 PM
i like zuttah and okam, but overall i don't like that draft.

not sold on phillips in any way, especially for 12 ovr... ugh :sick:

thomas would be ok, but i'm not all that impressed with him. i'm personally high on james hardy (good receiver with amazing size, proved that he's not slow-- just think of the mismatches!! redzone!).

don't like the idea of hester.. i want a real fullback again. we barely use our fullbacks in the run or pass game, so why don't we just get a guy who can actually block? makes no sense...

i'm def not criticizing you dog, i think this could very well be what happens. if it does, it's not a bad draft, but there's no 'wow' whatsoever, and would just support the same style that we've been using and failing at for the last couple years.

dogfish
03-04-2008, 10:09 PM
i like zuttah and okam, but overall i don't like that draft.

not sold on phillips in any way, especially for 12 ovr... ugh :sick:

thomas would be ok, but i'm not all that impressed with him. i'm personally high on james hardy (good receiver with amazing size, proved that he's not slow-- just think of the mismatches!! redzone!).

don't like the idea of hester.. i want a real fullback again. we barely use our fullbacks in the run or pass game, so why don't we just get a guy who can actually block? makes no sense...

i'm def not criticizing you dog, i think this could very well be what happens. if it does, it's not a bad draft, but there's no 'wow' whatsoever, and would just support the same style that we've been using and failing at for the last couple years.

i wouldn't like it much myself. . . .

dogfish
03-04-2008, 10:29 PM
haha. . . i just looked back through the thread and noticed how similar my second mock is to smilin's. . . . :laugh:

broncohead
03-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Biggest needs:
1. IMO we don't have a DT that can stop the run. We need to find one in the draft assuming we don't pick one up in FA. Whos left? That being said, DT is a high bust rate position so we take more than one. One early and one late or 2 in the middle of the draft. We seem to rotate our DTs often so I wouldn't be surprised if we took 3 if we can aquire an extra pick somehow.

2. We now need 2 starting OLBs. I think that we will sign Boss and he'll most likely play strong side. At weak side we'll most likely draft one in the later Rds. to challenge for the starting WLB. If we can't trade down to get more value Rivers and Clady will be strong possibilities. If we don't get Boss then Rivers will most likely get strong consideration. Either way we need to come away from FA or the draft with one more OLB starter.

3a. Abdullah is iffy and Lynch is old but I see us holding off another year to draft one high. Most likely a project in the later rds.

3b. OT to us is important only because we don't know the situation with Harris and Pearse is only average at best. But because of Harris' back problems and we could use someone to push both of them.

3c. We just signed a FA WR but don't know if he is #2 material. We'll draft one to hopefully flurish and be ready when it's time for Stokly to think about retirement.

4. The Henry situation needs to be considered and we need to bring in a guy from the draft who could carry the load IF he has any problems. Young isn't a FT back. Thats why I like Xavier Omon in the later rounds.

MHCBill
03-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Out of boredom... here's my predictions today. Doesn't matter though because more than likely there will be trading of picks, which will make this a waste of time. Anyway...

2008 Draft Selections

Round 1 - 12 - Johnathan Stewart - RB - Oregon
Round 2 - 42 - Curtis Lofton - LB - Oklahoma
Round 4 - 104 - John Greco - OT - Toledo
Round 4 - 115 - Adarius Bowman - WR - Oklahoma St.
Round 5 - 130 - DeMario Pressley - DT - North Carolina St.
Round 5 - 140 - Caleb Campbell - S - Army
Round 7 - 202 - Mike Dragosavich - P - North Dakota St.
Round 7 - 209 - Taylor Mehlhaff - K - Wisconsin

CoachChaz
03-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Out of boredom... here's my predictions today. Doesn't matter though because there will be more than likely trading of picks, which will make this a waste of time. Anyway...

2008 Draft Selections

Round 1 - 12 - Johnathan Stewart - RB - Oregon
Round 2 - 42 - Curtis Lofton - LB - Oklahoma
Round 4 - 104 - John Greco - OT - Toledo
Round 4 - 115 - Adarius Bowman - WR - Oklahoma St.
Round 5 - 130 - DeMario Pressley - DT - North Carolina St.
Round 5 - 140 - Caleb Campbell - S - Army
Round 7 - 202 - Mike Dragosavich - P - North Dakota St.
Round 7 - 209 - Taylor Mehlhaff - K - Wisconsin

Very nice. I'd be happy with this one

MHCBill
03-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Anyone else gotz one at this time?

shank
03-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Anyone else gotz one at this time?

i'm working on one, but am far too indecisive... :lol:

dogfish
03-06-2008, 06:15 AM
okay, here's my first full round one mock of the year. . . complete with some surprise picks, reaches, questionable fits, risers and fallers-- just like the actual draft, if you think about it. . . :laugh: there are several guys in different positions than where they're slotted, and it's simply because i think that's where they'll go-- not because i'm unaware of the projections (how many real GMs go off kiper's big board, anyways?). . . this will be updated after free agency slows down, and probably again right before the draft, but i kind of like to get one out now. . . bit rough, but here it is. . .

dogfish
03-06-2008, 06:17 AM
1. miami dolphins - DE/OLB chris long / virginia: unable to trade down, parcells makes a safe pick-- long is the kind of tough, hard-working defender the tuna loves, and his size and versatility are perfect for the 3-4. . . long can play the run, line up with his hand on the ground or rush the passer off the edge. . . a leader and a consummate pro that can be a building block for a defensive unit that is hurting badly for some young talent. . .

2. st. louis rams - OT jake long / michigan: long cemented a top spot with an impressive combine performance. . . a defensive lineman is very tempting here, but the rams have had some bad luck in the past-- also, they just invested a 1st in adam carriker last year, and found a competent nose tackle in 7th rounder clifton ryan. . . long is a safe pick they can feel comfortable investing a huge salary in, and OL is just as pressing a need as DL. . . O-line injuries last year wrecked their season, and all-pro orlando pace can't stay healthy any more. . . long can dominate on the right side from day one, allowing former 1st rounder alex barron to slide over to the left when pace calls it quits. . . the team needs bookends to keep the fragile marc bulger healthy and open lanes for steven jackson, and the polished long can play at a high level immediately. . .

3. atlanta falcons - QB matt ryan / boston college: not only do the falcons need a quarterback to lead their offense, they need a new face for their franchise after the disgrace brought on the organization by mike vick. . . arthur blank said earlier in the offseason that they would take a long look at the QB position with their 1st rond pick, and ryan is the consensus top signal caller-- in the minds of many, the only potential franchise QB in the draft. . . atlanta could be tempted by darren mcfadden here, but with some concerns about his character he is off their board-- there's no chance blank gives another monster contract to a guy who might bring more embarrassment on his team. . .

4. chokeland faders - DT sedric ellis / USC: i know, i know-- tommy kelly. . . BFD. . . their run defense was terrible with him last year, they need more help-- and ellis can contribute to their lackluster pass rush as well. . . also, ellis may even allow them to shift kelly back to LDE in their base package to further shore up the run D. . . he brings the kind of motor and leadership they desperately need, and the west coast star should be an instant fan favorite. . . the speed-obssesed al davis will be tempted by darren mcfadden here, but they ran the ball effectively last year with justin fargas-- the defense is a much bigger need. . .

5. kansas shitty chiefs - OT ryan clady / boise state: first reach of the draft, but no worse than arizona taking levi brown in the same spot last year. . . a few weeks ago, pro football weekly reported that sources within the chiefs organization had predicted that the team was desperate for help at OT, and wouldn't hesitate to reach for the next best option if jake long was gone when they got on the clock. . . clady is actually the highest-rated pure left tackle prospect in the draft, and he has the long term upside to justify the risk-- OT is deep in this draft, but the top ones will still go quickly, and the team may not feel that it can afford to wait. . . glen dorsey is also possible here, but OT is a bigger need, and dorsey has had some questions raised about his health recently. . .

6. new york jets - RB darren mcfadden / arkansas: it's pretty much a coin flip between run-DMC and freakish edge rusher vernon gholston here, but mannotsogenius and GM terry bradway might need to produce immediate results to save their respective jobs (note the free agent spending spree), and d-mac provides more of an instant impact. . . besides, how long can he really sit on the board after blazing an official 4.33 and an unofficial 4.27 at the combine? :eek: thomas jones was mostly a disappointment, and the J-E-T-S need a big star to win back some attention after their intra-city rivals just won the big enchilada. . . mcfadden will add some serious juice to a vanilla offense that lacks big play punch. . .

7. new england pansies - DE/OLB vernon gholston / ohio state: once again the rich get richer, as the cheatriots have possibly the most impressive athlete in the entire draft drop right in their laps. . . bellyache generally prefers adding experienced linebackers through free agency, but with little cash to spend this year they can't resist the amazing potential of gholston. . . their major need is at inside 'backer, but gholston will allow them to shift adalius thomas back inside full time. . . they need a CB also, but gholston is head and shoulders above any corner in this draft, and the pansies have never put a high premium on top picks at the position. . . VG has the potential to be an absolute terror coming off the edge in bellyache's shifting fronts. . .

8. baltimore vultures - DB dominic rogers-cromartie / tennessee state: looks like a shocking pick now, but watch this kid continue to climb draft boards as the day approaches. . . he may be riding the coat-tails of his suddenly famous cousin a bit (worked for sheli, didn't it?), but he deserves to be a top prospect on his own merits. . . didn't play against the same level of competition as the other top CBs, but he is a superior package of physical ability to any of them. . . has a rare size/speed combo which the NFL craves in CBs-- at 6'1"+ and 185 lbs., he ran a 4.33 40 at the combine, and recorded the highest vertical jump and fastest 3-come time of any DB that competed. . . has looser hips and smoother change-of-direction than any of the other top corners, and backed up his measurables with impressive college production. . . can play free safety as well as cornerback, and offers special teams value as well (blocked four kicks in college, and put up quality return stats). . . just the type of elite athlete the vultues want on defense, and at their position of greatest need. . . their vaunted defense was helpless last year when they suffered injuries to their top CBs, and the aging samari rolle isn't the player he used to be. . . the vultures will bypass needs on the other side of the ball to keep their dominant unit playing at a high level. . .

9. cincinnasti bungles - DT glen dorsey / LSU: finally, a deal that CAN'T fall through! :laugh: :lol: for anyone who has spent the last week living in a cave, the bungles' need of an impact defensive tackle couldn't have been any clearer if they'd taken out a full page ad in every major newspaper in america. . . cincy has a bleeding need for an impact defender at ANY position, but few could be better than a two-way DT that can stuff the inside run and split double-teams to collapse the pocket. . . dorsey falls a bit due to some recent injury concerns (and weighing in lower than sedric ellis at the combine, then refusing to work out), but need meets value in the nine spot. . . after coming to the 'nasty with a reputation as a defensive mastermind, marvin lewis' units have been more like a punchline, but dorsey can be the foundation of a revamped unit. . . he's the kind of talent that can be the heartbeat of a defense, a physical force that can make everyone around him better and an emotional sparkplug on the field. . . cincy will take a long look at derrick harvey as well, but dorsey is simply too good to not take him here. . . .

10. new orleans saints - LB dan connor / penn state: this is higher than most draft experts have connor projected (although scout.com has him ranked 9th overall, and most sources agree that he’s the top ILB), but new orleans won't be afraid to pull the trigger on their guy. . . LB and CB are equal needs in the big easy, but connor is the safe pick here. . . some people would probably rather see keith rivers in this spot, but connor fits the profile of player that head coach sean payton wants better-- not as athletic as rivers, but he's headier and more instinctive, with absolute top-notch intangibles. . . connor will provide badly needed leadership for a unit that is currently devoid of any such quality, as well as calling the plays. . . saints want to strike while the iron is hot, and the offense is already at a chamopionship level-- connor is a tackling machine that can start from day one and man the crucial MIKE spot for the next ten years. . . doesn't have enormous upside, but the coaching staff will know exactly what they're getting with connor, and it's just what they need. . . saints will also entertain trade offers for the pick. . . .

11. buffalo bills - DE derrick harvey / florida: buffalo's defense suffered badly last year from the lack of pass rush, and if they want to continue with their cover-2 scheme they NEED to get more pressure from their front four. . . a big WR is an equal need, but the acquisition of bryant johnson in free agency will make a top pass rusher next on their to-do list. . . the loss of anthony hargrove means that the bills are down to two NFL-caliber ends, and chris kelsay is better suited as a two down run stopper. . . harvey weighed in at 271 at the combine, more than big enough for a cover-2 LDE, and his presence would free aaron schobel from the almost-constant double-teams he faced in '07. . . a reliable defense is a coach's best friend in buffalo's uncertain climate, and harvey is possibly the best all-around pospect left on the board. . . .

12. enver broncos - S kenny phillips / miami: the broncos hole at this position is reaching epic proportions, and their pre-draft scramble to find short-term patches for other holes indicates that they intend to fix this one permanently. . . some will consider this a reach pick, but mike shanahan's shoulders are already so far out of joint that he won't feel the slightest bit of discomfort. . . enver has shown a real affinity for miami players (and florida players in general), and phillips is the type of quality skill position athlete the broncos covet with their high selections. . . fit's enver's mold of big, aggressive safeties, and the team will value his ability to contribute on special teams. . . .

13. carolina panthers - RB jonathon stewart / oregon: the panthers are another team that needs an instant impact-- their talented roster has underperformed for the past two years, and john fox is definitely on the hot seat. . . carolina was at their best when they had a grind-it-out running game to complement their tough defense, and stewart has the size and power they've been missing since steven davis got old. . . deangelo williams is best as a change-of-pace back, and stewart will help to draw down a safety and free steve smith from some of the stifling over-the-top coverage he constantly faces. . . carolina could look at a tackle here, but they'll have a shot at a RT like carl nicks in the 2nd. . .

dogfish
03-06-2008, 06:17 AM
14. chicago bears - OT jeff otah / pittsburgh: da bears will take a long look at malcolm kelly here as well, but ultimately decide to repair the line first-- they're a run-oriented team, and otah is just the kind of mauler they need to inject some life back into their bread and butter ground game. . . they like big hosses on the line, and otah is as big as they come. . . athletic for his size, and may be nimble enough to play LT with a bit of development-- can step in to the spot vacated by fred miller and learn on the right side for a year. . .

15. detroit lions - CB aqib talib / kansas: the lions need corners like a drowning man needs air. . . talib isn't the highest rated corner on the board, but he's a better fit for detroit's cover-2 scheme than mckelvin or jenkins-- he's bigger and better in run support, and his questionable long speed won't be a problem in a scheme that primarily requires him to man the short zones and come up and make sure tackles. . . also has better ball skills and playmaking ability. . . marlin jackson and kelvim hayden showed the value of big, athletic corners in the cover-2 this year. . . lions fans are just happy to get someone other than a receiver. . . boom or bust prospect is a reach here, but the team is desperate, and this IS matt millen we’re talking about. . . .

16. arizona cardinals - RB rashard mendenhall / illinois: the edge clearly has lost his, and ken whisenhunt needs a stud runner to execute his pittsburgh-style offense at a high level. . . mendenhall will instantly make that team better-- his presence will take pressure off their young quarterback, and he can take advantage of seven man fronts created by their dynamic receiving duo (also, the presence of another legit offensive star will make it less painful for them if they have to move one of those WRs for salary cap relief). . . cornerback will get some serious consideration here also, but mendenhall is the best long term value, and whiz is an offensive guy. . . also, mendenhall will help fill up the seats in that new air-conditioned palace better than a defensive back. . .

17. minnesota vikings - WR malcolm kelly / oklahoma: the vikes really need help at defensive end, and they could take phillip merling here as well-- but merling doesn't project as the edge rusher they need, with only 12 sacks in three college seasons. . . they can pick up a situational pass rusher in the middle rounds. . . bernard berrian was a nice free agent pickup, but they can still use more help at WR, and kelly is a good value here. . . the presence of berrian and sidney rice will allow him to develop at his own pace, and berrian can be wicked in the slot when all three wideouts are on the field at the same time. . . gives them more size in the red zone, and another tough blocker to help spring adrian peterson to the edges. . .

18. houston texans - OT chris williams / vanderbilt: gary kubiak might have to flip a coin to decide between williams and leodis mckelvin, but kubes knows that a top flight left tackle is even more valuable than a good cornerback. . . O-line has been the achilles heel of this franchise as long as it's been in the league, and the chance to grab a potential anchor for the next decade is too much to pass up. . . williams has the athleticism to fit perfectly into houston's ZBS, and the feet and wingspan to develop into one of the league's elite pass protectors-- bit of a finesse blocker in the running game, but that's not such a drawback in this system. . . they need to protect matt schaub so he doesn't get david carr syndrome, and better pass pro will allow them to take full advantage of the monster known as andre johnson. . . the sky's the limit for a player of williams' athletic ability with taskmaster alex gibbs riding his ass. . .

19. philadelphia eagles - WR limas sweed / texas: the eagles finally abandon their mysterious, stubborn opposition to quality receivers. . . they have avoided talented wideouts like the plague for pretty much the length of mcnabb's career-- it's time to try something else. . . now that he's old and breaking down, they decide to actually invest in an NFL-caliber target. . . if nothing else, he can grow with kevin kolb. . . :laugh: sweed has the size to move the chains and be a weapon in the red zone, and he'll make an excellent complement to the speed of kevin curtis. . . the team also needs a safety and an OT, but sweed brings far better value in this spot. . .

20. tampa bay suckaneers - OLB keith rivers / USC: the bucs could go a number of different directions with this pick. . . they could use a quality left tackle, but the best ones are already off the board. . . kentwan balmer and james hardy would be tempting here as well, but ultimately rivers is the best value. . . derrick brooks is near the end, and the defense as a whole needs more young talent. . . rivers may not have ideal coverage instincts for the tampa-2, but his range fits the scheme very well, and his combination of size and speed allows him to play any of the LB positions. . .

21. washington redfaces - DE phillip merling / clemson: the deadskins have a crying need for young talent on the D-line. . . merling has good size and quickness, is active and pursues well against the run, and has some potential as a pass rusher. . . should be a solid bookend across from andre carter at LDE. . . with some additional weight and strength he may be able to slide inside to provide some interior pass rush in nickel and dime packages. . . washington would love to add a big, phsyical wideout here, but the need at DE is more pressing. . .

22. dallas cowgirls - RB felix jones / arkansas: razorback alum jerry jones wanted the other arkansas back, but felix isn't a bad consolation prize. . . cowboys don't have a ton of holes, but with the departure of julius jones they need another tailback-- felix has the speed to make a very nice one-two punch with the hard-nosed marion barber. . .

23. pittsburgh stealers - OL brandon albert / virginia: typical stealers pick-- not flashy, but value meets need. . . albert is a nasty grinder that fits the team's prototype of physical linemen perfectly. . . an excellent choice to replace the departed alan faneca at OLG, and he might have the feet to eventually slide over to tackle when marvel smith hangs 'em up. . .

24. tennessee titans - WR/RS desean jackson / california: titans need help at defensive end as well, but the value here is better for a receiver. . . the team badly needs some outside playmakers to help quarterback vince young, and jackson brings big play ability. . . the team could also choose to go with james hardy for more size, but the recently signed alge crumpler helps in that area, and jackson can help replace the punch in the return game that they lost when pacman jones got booted from the league. . .

25. seattle seagulls - RB jamaal charles / texas: shaun alexander is done, and maurice morris is nothing more than a nice backup. . . with a strong all-around roster, the squawks can afford to spend their top pick to find a long term solution before the situation gets desperate. . . charles is a slasher who has good potential as a receiver out of the backfield, and he should fit well in the west coast offense. . . seattle could take a DT or tight end here, but charles is better than the available prospects at those positions. . .

26. jacksonville jaguars - DT kentwan balmer / north carolina: jags need help at both end and tackle, but balmer is the top DL on the board at this point. . . not nearly as stout as the departed marcus stroud, but he's much more talented than rob meier. . . gives the jags a DT who can penetrate while henderson eats double teams. . . jags could look at jerod mayo here also, but they just spent a 2nd on justin durant last year. . .

27. san diego chargers - OT gosder cherilus / boston college: chargers need depth at tackle with the departure of shane olivea, and cherilus is the kind of mauler they like in the run game. . . polished athlete who should play at a high level from day one. . . a.j. smith fills a need with one of the best players on the board. . .

28. dallas cowgirls - CB/RS leodis mckelvin / troy: highly touted prospect falls down the board as teams fill other needs. . . explosive return specialist who needs considerable polish as a cornerback. . . not very strong and has questionable instincts and play recognition. . . only totaled four interceptions in his college career despite playing against inferior competition. . . will contribute immediately on special teams, but will require patient development to become a reliable defender. . . cowgirls need more speed in the secondary, so they're glad to stop his fall here. . .

29. san francisco 49ers - DE/OLB quentin groves / auburn: suffered through a down senior season after injuring his toes, and now suffers the indignity of being drafted by one of the NFL's worst teams. . . exceptional athlete should transition smoothly to outside linebacker in the 3-4, where he'll be turned loose to rush the QB off the edge. . . brings even more speed to a LB corps already featuring manny lawson and patrick willis. . . the niners were unable to land free agent calvin pace, but groves fits their system well and will cost less money. . . could end up being a steal this late in the round. . . WR james hardy is also a strong possibility here. . .

30. green bay packers - CB mike jenkins / USF: excellent college corner who definitely has some bust potential at the next level. . . good press corner who won't fit every scheme, but is perfect for green bay. . . can be over-aggressive, and will draw many pass interference penalties if he can't break the habit of putting his hands on receivers down the field. . . packers take a chance because they are hard-up for CB depth behind their high quality but aging starters. . .

31. new york football giants - LB jerod mayo / tennessee: g-men really need another corner, but GM jerry reese has shown an eye for value—mayo is generally looked at as a high 2nd round prospect, but his stock is one the rise after an excellent combine performance. . . with the departure of kawika mitchell and reggie torbor in free agency, LB has become another immediate need, and the team would ultimately like to switch the talented mathias kiwanuka back to his natural position of defensive end-- especially if michael strahan doesn't come back for another year. . . mayo had his best college season playing inside, but he has experience at both spots, and has the speed and athleticism to take over mitchell's weakside duties. . .

broncohead
03-07-2008, 12:50 AM
Revised after the signing of the LBs.
Because McFadden’s history he slips to #12 where Jerry Jones can’t wait anymore. We trade #12 (1200) and Foxworth for #21 (800) and #28 (660). I know Foxworth isn’t worth an early 3rd but Carolina is sitting at #13 hoping he falls one more spot, so Jerry Jones takes the offer.

1a. Malcolm Kelly WR- We need a #2 WR. Marshall and Kelly would create huge mismatches against opposing defenses. Doesn’t have blazing speed but makes up for it with his size. If he is still here, Sweed could also be an option.

1b. Kenny Phillips S- We need a safety since this is most likely Lynch’s last year and Abdullah still has some questions to whether he is a starter. Fills a need and isn’t a reach at this point IMO. He may be gone at this point but with talks of him slipping into the 2nd Rd. it wouldn’t surprise me if he was still here.

2. Red Bryant DT- Some people would rather go with Sims who has character concerns or Laws who is undersized for a 1 tech DT. Red Bryant is a big body that could help solidify the front 4. May be a reach but I don't think he will be there in the 4th.

4a. Ahtyba Rubin DT- Rubin is a strong solid run stuffing DT, something that we need. Would need to be doubled on running plays. Not a pass rusher but stout at the point of attack.

4b. Frank Okam DT- Another big body. There are some questions on his motivation and weight but when motivated this guy can play.

5a. Xaier Omon RB- Henry has some off the field issues and Young isn’t a full time back so picking up a guy with his production would be a good idea for insurance reasons. He only played D2 football but if he can adjust to the pro game he could surprise some people. My sleeper of the draft.

5b. OL
7a. OL
7b. Kicker

LB isn’t a big concern anymore with the signing of Boss and Niko. The other DT spot needs to be shored up. By taking 3 run stuffers we should be able to come out with one starter that will become a solid contributor in a year or two. OL could be interchangeable with the 4b. pick.

broncohead
03-07-2008, 12:55 AM
dogfish that must have taken some time and thought. Good job. I wouldn't attempt to do a whole round, takes to much time.

lex
03-07-2008, 01:01 AM
1. Darren McFadden- RB
2. Carl Nicks- RT
4. Jon Goff- MLB
4. Marcus Harrison- DT
5. Thomas DeCoud- S
5. Nick Hayden- DT
7. Marcus Monk- WR
7. Taylor Mehlhaff- K

I dont think Sims or Laws will be there at 42 and not having a 3rd hurts here. Im not averse to a trade using Foxworth to move into the 3rd.

dogfish
03-07-2008, 01:06 AM
dogfish that must have taken some time and thought. Good job. I wouldn't attempt to do a whole round, takes to much time.

thanks!

Cleveland Rocks
03-07-2008, 01:54 AM
Speaking of Mocks....

I'm sure everyone will be happy that they don't have to deal with me complaining about your mocks this year.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Here is my latest stab. It appears the LB spot has been addressed. We also have added depth at WR. I'm going to assume we sign McCree or Manuel and add OL depth, perhaps Jake Scott. It also seems to me that Shanny isn't seeing OT as much of an issue as we do as he has Harris and Kuper as options. This isn't necessarily my ideal situation, but simply how I could see it going. Some other names not currently listed that I would love to see taken are Mayo of Tennessee, Phillips of Miami, Reynaud of West Virginia, Silva of Boston College, Butler of Nevada and Goff of Vanderbilt.

1-Kentwan Balmer, DT, North Carolina
Height: 6-41/2 | Weight: 308 | 40-Time: 5.28

Strengths:
Good size with a large frame and room to bulk up further...Extremely strong...Very athletic...Has pretty good speed and quickness...Nice range and does a good job in pursuit...Can hold his ground at the point of attack...Offers some versatility...Is coming off a great senior year...Can contribute on special teams...Still has upside.

Weaknesses:
Inconsistent and has a questionable motor...Does not have great bulk...Has some trouble shedding blocks...He is slow to read and react....Plays with poor leverage at times...Considered to be an underachiever prior to 2007...Could be a 'tweener.

Notes:
The light finally seemed to come on and he started to fulfill his immense potential as a senior...He could project to either tackle in a 4-3 or end in a 3-4...Has all the physical tools you look for but will need to stay motivated and play like he did this past year..Exceptionally talented but a risky prospect who is a boom or bust type.

2-Devin Thomas, WR, Michigan State
Height: 6-17/8 | Weight: 216 | 40-Time: 4.40

Strengths:
Very good size with long arms and excellent bulk...Smooth natural athlete...Great timed speed...Extremely elusive and runs well after the catch...Terrific vision...Has reliable hands and he'll pluck the ball...Great leaping ability and ball skills...Tough, strong and physical...Is also an outstanding return man...Still has a ton of upside.

Weaknesses:
Only had one big season at the college level...Not a great route runner...Does not necessarily play to his timed speed and lacks a burst...Hasn't been a true vertical threat to this point...Average blocker....Raw and could take some time to develop.

Notes:
JUCO transfer from Coffeyville Community College...Made little or no impact in his first year with the Spartans but then exploded once Mark Dantonio replaced John L. Smith and implemented a new offense...A One Year Wonder who would appear to have all the physical tools you look for...May have more long-term upside than any wideout in this draft, but whoever drafts him will probably have to be patient.

4a-Ahtyba Rubin, DT, Iowa State
Height: 6-23/4 | Weight: 315 | 40-Time: 5.22

Strengths:
Real strong and powerful...Has excellent bulk..Is stout at the point of attack...Can occupy multiple blockers...Has a terrific motor...Decent mobility and range...Does a fantastic job against the run...Really knows how to use his hands...Still improving.

Weaknesses:
Offers very little as a pass rusher...Not very quick or explosive...Needs to improve his technique and play with better leverage...Lacks stamina...Short...Was not very productive and didn't make a lot of plays...Only two years of Division I experience.

Notes:
First name is pronounced "ah-TAH-ba"...Spent two years at a JUCO (Trinity Valley C.C.) where he played both defensive and offensive line...An underrated prospect who doesn't get a lot of attention but will most likely be chosen much higher than people think...One-dimensional run-stuffer...May be a prototypical 3-4 nose tackle

4b-Barry Richardson, OT, Clemson
Height: 6-7 | Weight: 330 | 40-Time: 5.40

Strengths:
Outstanding size with a huge frame and long arms...Terrific athleticism...Very light on his feet...Great lateral mobility and range...Gets to the second level...Excellent pass blocker...Good body control...Once he locks on the battle's over...Has a lot of experience against big-time competition...Offers some versatility...Still has upside.

Weaknesses:
Plays soft...Lacks a killer instinct and is not aggressive...Has to get stronger...Gets pushed around and doesn't play to his size...Poor technique and he does not play with good leverage...Gets caught reaching too often...Effort is pretty inconsistent.

Notes:
Graduated from high school in just three years..A four-year starter at left tackle in the ACC...Held future #1 overall pick Mario Williams without a sack in '05...Classic case of a prospect who "Looks like Tarzan, Plays Like Jane"...Has all the physical tools you look for but is an underachiever...Could be a steal if some coach can get him to be more nasty but it's difficult to change a guys demeanor and personality.

5a-Kerry Brown, OG, Appalachian State
Height: 6-6 | Weight: 310

5b-J Leman, MLB, Illinois
Height: 6-13/4 | Weight: 245 | 40-Time: 4.80

7a/7b-K/P

lex
03-08-2008, 03:57 PM
If we draft Balmer, Im going to start breaking stuff.

shank
03-08-2008, 04:27 PM
ok i'm going to post one. i haven't seen many of these players, so it's kinda tough for me when i get to the later rounds. i also am going off of projected rounds i'm finding online, which is hard because most guys have like a 3 round range where they could be picked, so if i'm way off on any, just let me know and i can change it.

1:12: RB Jonathan Stewart: If we are stuck at 12 then i feel it's the best way to maximize value of the highest pick we've had in a long time.
Alternate pick: OT Ryan Clady: I guess it's a little weird that my alternate pick is less likely to be there than my primary. I'd be very happy with Clady or Stewart (ahem.... or Mendenhall...)

2:42: DT Trevor Laws: I know he might be gone at this point, but I still think he has a good chance to be around at 42. His 07 stats are super-human, and he's a very hard worker. Even if he never becomes a star, I don't see any way he's not a solid starter and won't be a disappointment.

Alternate pick: I guess I'd have to go with Sims or Moore. DT needs to be addressed early.

4:104: DT Ahtyba Rubin: Another year of saturation drafting, but it's not too bad since we will hold on to the rest of our picks. Rubin looked great at the combine and I think his value is great in the 4th. If we end up with Laws and Rubin, we suddenly have a decent DT rotation that is 4 deep with talented guys. As the rooks develop, it could turn into a no-worry situation with 3 young talented tackles, and even could become a strength on our team for once.

Alternate pick: FB Owen Schmitt: I'm pretty sure everyone on these boards pretty much loves this guy. He would help our running game a lot, especially in short yardage, can catch out of the backfield (not great, but either can all of our RB/FB tweeners, might as well get someone who can put people on their backs), and he would bring attitude and intensity to our offense, which would be very nice. It's hard to have Schmitt as an alternate, because I really want him. If we took Clady in the 1st, then maybe we could get Scmitt here, and Rubin could possibly drop to our 2nd 4th and we could get both these guys.

4:115: OT/G Jeremy Zuttah: Again he looked great at the combine, and his value looks pretty good in the 4th. He has the versatility to play any position on the OL, which is always a good thing. If we get Clady in the 1st then I would probably not take Zuttah too.

Alternate pick: S Thomas Decoud, S/CB Simeon Castille, or S Josh Barrett: We need safety help, and all these guys could be that help. I have 3 because I couldn't find a consistent round projection on any of them...

5:130: WR Davone Bess: WR from the talented group at Hawaii. Best suited to be a slot guy, could contribute until Stokely hangs em up. Also provides another option as a kick returner, as we are always searching for one.

Alternate pick: Hell I don't know, by the 5th round you can usually just find talent at any position. A couple names to throw out there: Jordan Dizon, Matt Forte (will probably be gone), Marcus Monk... Insert your fave late rounders as alternates from here on out.

5:140: S Jaime Silva: With the condition written in his contract that he get a haircut. I am guessing he may not be here, but i have seen him projected as early as the 2nd and seen other places that say he could go undrafted... His stats his senior year are pretty amazing, and he's described as somewhat of a ballhawk, but can still play the run. With 8 picks last season, and 4 the year before, he can make plays, which our safties haven't done in a long time.

7:202: P Mike Dragosavich

7:209: K Taylor Mehlhaff

I think the two kickers in the 7th is quickly becoming a broncos-fan consensus as we don't really know if we have either at this point. I've seen both going earlier than the 7th in mocks, so if either or both are gone, just get the next best guys at their position, none of whom i know who they are lol.

lex
03-08-2008, 04:35 PM
ok i'm going to post one. i haven't seen many of these players, so it's kinda tough for me when i get to the later rounds. i also am going off of projected rounds i'm finding online, which is hard because most guys have like a 3 round range where they could be picked, so if i'm way off on any, just let me know and i can change it.

1:12: RB Jonathan Stewart: If we are stuck at 12 then i feel it's the best way to maximize value of the highest pick we've had in a long time.
Alternate pick: OT Ryan Clady: I guess it's a little weird that my alternate pick is less likely to be there than my primary. I'd be very happy with Clady or Stewart (ahem.... or Mendenhall...)

2:42: DT Trevor Laws: I know he might be gone at this point, but I still think he has a good chance to be around at 42. His 07 stats are super-human, and he's a very hard worker. Even if he never becomes a star, I don't see any way he's not a solid starter and won't be a disappointment.

Alternate pick: I guess I'd have to go with Sims or Moore. DT needs to be addressed early.

4:104: DT Ahtyba Rubin: Another year of saturation drafting, but it's not too bad since we will hold on to the rest of our picks. Rubin looked great at the combine and I think his value is great in the 4th. If we end up with Laws and Rubin, we suddenly have a decent DT rotation that is 4 deep with talented guys. As the rooks develop, it could turn into a no-worry situation with 3 young talented tackles, and even could become a strength on our team for once.

Alternate pick: FB Owen Schmitt: I'm pretty sure everyone on these boards pretty much loves this guy. He would help our running game a lot, especially in short yardage, can catch out of the backfield (not great, but either can all of our RB/FB tweeners, might as well get someone who can put people on their backs), and he would bring attitude and intensity to our offense, which would be very nice. It's hard to have Schmitt as an alternate, because I really want him. If we took Clady in the 1st, then maybe we could get Scmitt here, and Rubin could possibly drop to our 2nd 4th and we could get both these guys.

4:115: OT/G Jeremy Zuttah: Again he looked great at the combine, and his value looks pretty good in the 4th. He has the versatility to play any position on the OL, which is always a good thing. If we get Clady in the 1st then I would probably not take Zuttah too.

Alternate pick: S Thomas Decoud, S/CB Simeon Castille, or S Josh Barrett: We need safety help, and all these guys could be that help. I have 3 because I couldn't find a consistent round projection on any of them...

5:130: WR Davone Bess: WR from the talented group at Hawaii. Best suited to be a slot guy, could contribute until Stokely hangs em up. Also provides another option as a kick returner, as we are always searching for one.

Alternate pick: Hell I don't know, by the 5th round you can usually just find talent at any position. A couple names to throw out there: Jordan Dizon, Matt Forte (will probably be gone), Marcus Monk... Insert your fave late rounders as alternates from here on out.

5:140: S Jaime Silva: With the condition written in his contract that he get a haircut. I am guessing he may not be here, but i have seen him projected as early as the 2nd and seen other places that say he could go undrafted... His stats his senior year are pretty amazing, and he's described as somewhat of a ballhawk, but can still play the run. With 8 picks last season, and 4 the year before, he can make plays, which our safties haven't done in a long time.

7:202: P Mike Dragosavich

7:209: K Taylor Mehlhaff

I think the two kickers in the 7th is quickly becoming a broncos-fan consensus as we don't really know if we have either at this point. I've seen both going earlier than the 7th in mocks, so if either or both are gone, just get the next best guys at their position, none of whom i know who they are lol.

Nothing wrong with hedging your bets but wouldnt you rather get a WR in the 4th?

shank
03-08-2008, 04:41 PM
Nothing wrong with hedging your bets but wouldnt you rather get a WR in the 4th?

i see where you are coming from, but i feel my draft has the potential to really help our defense get off the field, and definitley has the potential to make us a more effective running team (1st round RB and Schmitt, would be sweeet!).
Because of this, I am not placing huge need at WR. I am hoping that Colbert can come in and be a servicable, if not great, #2 and the run game and b-marsh's talent mean we don't need a great #2. Bess in the 5th would provide another option to spell stokely to keep him healthy. I wouldn't mind it at all if we signed a guy like drew carter to add a deep threat to our arsenal or if we brought in DJ hackett, as his price just can't be that high at this point...

lex
03-08-2008, 04:51 PM
i see where you are coming from, but i feel my draft has the potential to really help our defense get off the field, and definitley has the potential to make us a more effective running team (1st round RB and Schmitt, would be sweeet!).
Because of this, I am not placing huge need at WR. I am hoping that Colbert can come in and be a servicable, if not great, #2 and the run game and b-marsh's talent mean we don't need a great #2. Bess in the 5th would provide another option to spell stokely to keep him healthy. I wouldn't mind it at all if we signed a guy like drew carter to add a deep threat to our arsenal or if we brought in DJ hackett, as his price just can't be that high at this point...

Yeah, I go back and forth on how aggressively we should try to draft a WR considering that we already have Marshall, Scheffler and Stokley who will all get a lot of passes thrown their way. Id actually like to see Scheffler play the second wide out but without being split out as wide as a normal WR normally would...basically so we could still isolate him and also keep him in the box. But I like where your heart is at with improving the running game. Ive been touting Zuttah for a while too...Ive seen a lot of their games and theres a lot to like there. The only thing is that during most of the season he was slotted as a 5th or 6th rounder and now I see him slotted more and more as s 4th-5th rounder. He would have been a steal in 5th or 6th.

I kind of wish we could move Foxworth, whether its for a 3rd or a 4th and then we could move up into the 3rd with two of our 4ths while still having a pick in the 4th.

shank
03-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Yeah, I go back and forth on how aggressively we should try to draft a WR considering that we already have Marshall, Scheffler and Stokley who will all get a lot of passes thrown their way. Id actually like to see Scheffler play the second wide out but without being split out as wide as a normal WR normally would...basically so we could still isolate him and also keep him in the box. But I like where your heart is at with improving the running game. Ive been touting Zuttah for a while too...Ive seen a lot of their games and theres a lot to like there. The only thing is that during most of the season he was slotted as a 5th or 6th rounder and now I see him slotted more and more as s 4th-5th rounder. He would have been a steal in 5th or 6th.

I kind of wish we could move Foxworth, whether its for a 3rd or a 4th and then we could move up into the 3rd with two of our 4ths while still having a pick in the 4th.

true, i feel we already have options in the passing game, and an improved running game would make it easier to return to more of a clock-eating, possession offense to keep our defense fresh, with an occasional big play by marshal or deep throw by cutler (can't waste that sexy arm!).

i'm trying to figure out my mock draft now in using smiling's suggested move up to #8 using foxworth and our early 4th. this trade would give foxy value in between the 3rd and 4th rounds, which seems just about right. i'd only do this to get ahead of cincy with 1 of the big 2 DTs left on the board.

it sounds like a great deal, but even losing one pick really affects the directions you go with the rest of the draft. i'll put up what i figure out with this scenario, as its the only way i see trading up as a good move.

broncohead
03-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Now that we have signed 2 LBs, 2 safeties, and a WR we can focus our draft on DT, OL depth, and RB. Would be a good trade IMO. We can spare an extra draft pick for a top DT IMO. We don't NEED as many now as we did before FA.

shank
03-08-2008, 10:39 PM
the 4th round kills me. i need to figure out a way to get us at least 4 4th rounders lol. there's too many players i like.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-09-2008, 09:22 AM
the 4th round kills me. i need to figure out a way to get us at least 4 4th rounders lol. there's too many players i like.

Isn't it fun?

I do the same thing. That's why on my mox I always list a handful of others I like and would be pleased to see don a denver uni.

shank
03-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Isn't it fun?

I do the same thing. That's why on my mox I always list a handful of others I like and would be pleased to see don a denver uni.

yeah, there is definitely a handful of guys i like in the fourth... lets work out a 4 or 5 way trade where we give up our 1st and we get like 10 3rd and 4th rounders!

shank
03-10-2008, 12:47 AM
ahtyba rubin, owen schmitt, jeremy zuttah, jordy nelson. we need to acquire 2 more 4th rounders!

MOtorboat
03-10-2008, 07:26 AM
I bet Owen Schmitt goes in the third...

dogfish
03-10-2008, 04:02 PM
I bet Owen Schmitt goes in the third...

quite possibly to san diego. . . . :mad:

:frusty:

and freakin' draft day will be ruined for me. . . .

shank
03-18-2008, 12:59 PM
updated the mock, with a couple of assumptions; we trade one of our 4ths and a conditional 2009 pick to the jets for one of their 4ths and Dewayne Robertson, and we acquire a 3rd rounder by trading Bly or as compensation for Foxworth as a RFA (I don't like to assume, but i needed a 3rd and that's how we're going to get it!):

1: RB Jonathan Stewart: Tough call. Clady will be gone and i feel that we either must reach for Stewart or we have to reach for Chris Williams... I know neither is that big of a reach, but it would be amazing if we could trade back several spots and still get one of the two.
2: WR Devin Thomas: I never thought I'd go offense with the first 4 picks lol! As much as I want to improve our defense, i think the addition of Robertson, Mccree, Niko, and Boss make it not as important, and we can have a good enough defense in 08 and go D hard in 09 draft. Thomas would compete with Colbert immediately, and whoever wins should be fine at #2 wr, and Thomas can be a great possession guy for many years to come, and gives us yet another option in the return game.
3: FB Owen Schmitt: Everyone knows I want this guy on our team, and chances are you do too. It'll probably never happen, but after watching Howard Griffith in SB XXXIII last night, we NEED to return to having a real, mean, SOB fullback... Can you imagine our run game with J-Stew and Schmitt? Say goodbye to many of our redzone struggles as far as I'm concerned.
4: OT/G Jeremy Zuttah: I'm becoming convinced that we already have our starters for 08 on the o-line. call me stupid, i don't care... Zuttah provides great versatility as he can backup and compete at every line positon except maybe RT... Looked great and very strong at the combine.
4b: DT Ahtyba Rubin: Though Robertson will help us a lot i believe, we still lack a 4-3 NT, though there's no doubt in my mind Robertson can do it. He has been playing a 3-4 NT and produced, and i think he'll be great in a 4-3... Rubin provides another body for the rotation and he's good against the run. Robertson-Thomas-McKinley-Rubin sounds like our DT rotation just became good, doesn't it?!
5: OT Barry Richardson: Very athletic tackle who may or may not be around in the 5th. I think he would fit in well in the ZBS and could provide depth at tackle. For the people who see gloom and doom in harris and pears, barry might even be able to "compete" to start...
5b: OLB Jordan Dizon: Kid with heart who doesn't miss a tackle. Who cares about his size? impact ST guy right away, possible starter at OLB in the future. High hopes for Jordan wherever he may end up, let's hope it's with the Broncos.
6: K Brandon Coutu: Honestly, i prefer his leg over mehlhaff's. career long of 58, higher FG% than mehlhaff, can be a big weapon in kickoffs, and i saw him in the college skills comp, and he won the distance with a 59-yarder that he booted through with ease... i think he'll be better than mehlhaff.
7: P Mike Dragosavich: Can't argue with drago's stats. he's a great punter.
7b: ILB Ben Moffitt:
Very instinctive...Reliable tackler...Does a terrific job in pursuit...Makes a lot of big plays...Technically sound...Extremely mature...A hard worker...Intense and has a non-stop motor...Real productive...Experienced...Also has special teams potential. knocks are size and athleticism, but he's a high-character guy who has proven he can produce. provides a ST guy and a good backup for years to come. things like "mature, hard worker, non-stop motor" really stand out to me. we need guys who will stay out of the police blotter and set an example of hard work, from the towel-boys to Pat Bowlen.

lex
03-18-2008, 01:04 PM
updated the mock, with a couple of assumptions; we trade one of our 4ths and a conditional 2009 pick to the jets for one of their 4ths and Dewayne Robertson, and we acquire a 3rd rounder by trading Bly or as compensation for Foxworth as a RFA (I don't like to assume, but i needed a 3rd and that's how we're going to get it!):

1: RB Jonathan Stewart: Tough call. Clady will be gone and i feel that we either must reach for Stewart or we have to reach for Chris Williams... I know neither is that big of a reach, but it would be amazing if we could trade back several spots and still get one of the two.
2: WR Devin Thomas: I never thought I'd go offense with the first 4 picks lol! As much as I want to improve our defense, i think the addition of Robertson, Mccree, Niko, and Boss make it not as important, and we can have a good enough defense in 08 and go D hard in 09 draft. Thomas would compete with Colbert immediately, and whoever wins should be fine at #2 wr, and Thomas can be a great possession guy for many years to come, and gives us yet another option in the return game.
3: FB Owen Schmitt: Everyone knows I want this guy on our team, and chances are you do too. It'll probably never happen, but after watching Howard Griffith in SB XXXIII last night, we NEED to return to having a real, mean, SOB fullback... Can you imagine our run game with J-Stew and Schmitt? Say goodbye to many of our redzone struggles as far as I'm concerned.
4: OT/G Jeremy Zuttah: I'm becoming convinced that we already have our starters for 08 on the o-line. call me stupid, i don't care... Zuttah provides great versatility as he can backup and compete at every line positon except maybe RT... Looked great and very strong at the combine.
4b: DT Ahtyba Rubin: Though Robertson will help us a lot i believe, we still lack a 4-3 NT, though there's no doubt in my mind Robertson can do it. He has been playing a 3-4 NT and produced, and i think he'll be great in a 4-3... Rubin provides another body for the rotation and he's good against the run. Robertson-Thomas-McKinley-Rubin sounds like our DT rotation just became good, doesn't it?!
5: OT Barry Richardson: Very athletic tackle who may or may not be around in the 5th. I think he would fit in well in the ZBS and could provide depth at tackle. For the people who see gloom and doom in harris and pears, barry might even be able to "compete" to start...
5b: OLB Jordan Dizon: Kid with heart who doesn't miss a tackle. Who cares about his size? impact ST guy right away, possible starter at OLB in the future. High hopes for Jordan wherever he may end up, let's hope it's with the Broncos.
6: K Brandon Coutu: Honestly, i prefer his leg over mehlhaff's. career long of 58, higher FG% than mehlhaff, can be a big weapon in kickoffs, and i saw him in the college skills comp, and he won the distance with a 59-yarder that he booted through with ease... i think he'll be better than mehlhaff.
7b: ILB Ben Moffitt: knocks are size and athleticism, but he's a high-character guy who has proven he can produce. provides a ST guy and a good backup for years to come. things like "mature, hard worker, non-stop motor" really stand out to me. we need guys who will stay out of the police blotter and set an example of hard work, from the towel-boys to Pat Bowlen.

Barry Richardson is not athletic. He has very poor feet. He might be good to have around the goal line though.

shank
03-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Barry Richardson is not athletic. He has very poor feet. He might be good to have around the goal line though.

Outstanding size with a huge frame and long arms...Terrific athleticism...Very light on his feet...Great lateral mobility and range...Gets to the second level...Excellent pass blocker...Good body control...Once he locks on the battle's over...Has a lot of experience against big-time competition...Offers some versatility...Still has upside.

An athletic big man with body control & balance. Big dancing bear. Showed the ability to counter defensive movement & adjust in pass pro. Has some natural bend & was nimble. Doesn't play heavy.

STRENGTHS
Arm Length
Feet
Size

going off of these...

lex
03-18-2008, 02:37 PM
going off of these...

Do you have a source for that?

This is more in line with what I saw when I watched him this year:

03/09/08 - Richardson, who recently completed a month-and-a-half's worth of training in Phoenix, bristles at the suggestion that his stock has plummeted. He said he's still holding out hope of being taken in the first round — a goal he professed in January of 2007, when he announced plans to remain at Clemson for his senior season instead of turning pro early. Richardson is now in Clemson working out with his brother Nathaniel, a former offensive lineman at South Carolina State who also has aspirations of playing professionally. "Everybody who watched my games can tell I'm a first-round pick," he said. "People who make these predictions, they say those things and they don't look at the tape. They're looking at what I did last." Throughout Richardson's life in sports, few if any people have successfully penetrated his guarded exterior. Whether the circumstances on the field are exhilarating or excruciating, he seldom shows much emotion. That's the part his sister suspects might be costing him in the eyes of NFL personnel who don't see the requisite initiative and intensity. She believes he could be more assertive during interviews, reminding his potential employers of his college accolades and his drive. - Larry Williams, Charleston Post Courier

02/08/08 - PRO POTENTIAL: OT Barry Richardson was a four-year starter for the Tigers and earned numerous postseason honors. He certainly has the size (6-7, 338) but he hasn't delivered on a consistent basis. That could knock him down to the draft's second day.

01/23/08 - Senior Bowl Wednesday South Team Practice: Clemson's Barry Richardson is a massive man best suited to playing right tackle or, even better, right guard at the next level. While he is powerful and can drive defenders off the ball when he locks on, he struggles to engage defenders due to very marginal overall foot quickness and balance. Richardson has been a consistent liability in pass blocking this week.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=32915

shank
03-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Do you have a source for that?

This is more in line with what I saw when I watched him this year:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=32915

those were from profootballexperts.draft.com and nfldraftcountdown.com

just going off of what i have access to... i don't have a subscription to any of the in depth scouting services.

do you have a guy in the 5th you like more as a OT prospect/depth?

lex
03-18-2008, 02:58 PM
those were from profootballexperts.draft.com and nfldraftcountdown.com

just going off of what i have access to... i don't have a subscription to any of the in depth scouting services.

do you have a guy in the 5th you like more as a OT prospect/depth?

Sosa

BOSSHOGG30
03-18-2008, 02:59 PM
I saw Richardson at the Senior Bowl and I thought he was very athletic for such a big guy.

shank
03-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Sosa

awesome. thanks for the wealth of information:coffee:

BOSSHOGG30
03-18-2008, 03:05 PM
My Denver Mock... Not really what I want, but the way I think Denver will go.

1st: OT, Chris Williams, Vanderbilt
2nd: RB, Chris Johnson, ECU
4th: LB, Jordon Dizon, Colorado
4th: OL, John Sullivan, Notre Dame
5th: CB, DeJuan Tribble, Boston College
5th: S, DJ Parker, Virginia Tech
6th: K, Taylor Mehlaff, Wisconsin
7th: P, Mike Dragosavich, North Dakota St.
7th: DE, Robert Henderson, Southern Mississippi

shank
03-18-2008, 03:12 PM
My Denver Mock... Not really what I want, but the way I think Denver will go.

1st: OT, Chris Williams, Vanderbilt
2nd: RB, Chris Johnson, ECU
4th: LB, Jordon Dizon, Colorado
4th: OL, John Sullivan, Notre Dame
5th: CB, DeJuan Tribble, Boston College
5th: S, DJ Parker, Virginia Tech
6th: K, Taylor Mehlaff, Wisconsin
7th: P, Mike Dragosavich, North Dakota St.
7th: DE, Robert Henderson, Southern Mississippi

yuck... obviously, no offense to you boss, but i would not be a happy camper.

BOSSHOGG30
03-18-2008, 03:18 PM
yuck... obviously, no offense to you boss, but i would not be a happy camper.

me neither, but I know Denver likes a lot of those prospects, so it wouldn't surprise me.

LRtagger
03-18-2008, 03:36 PM
I like Chris Johnson a lot, not sure if he would be a great fit in Denver's system...and I also like DJ Parker in the 5th.

UnderArmour
03-18-2008, 04:40 PM
My Denver Mock:

1st: OT, Jake Long, Michigan
2nd: RB, Darren McFadden, Arkansas
4th: DT, Glenn Dorsey, LSU
4th: DT, Sedrick Ellis, USC
5th: DE, Chris Long, Virginia
5th: DE, Vernon Gholston, Ohio State
6th: OLB, Keith Rivers, USC
7th: RB, Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois
7th: OT, Ryan Clady, Boise State
Sign undrafted free agent DeSean Jackson to help the return game.
Sign undrafted free agent Matt Ryan to backup Jay Cutler.
Sign undrafted free agent Mario Manningham to help the passing game.

mclark
03-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Round 1
1. Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State
Round 2
2. Trevor Laws, DT, Notre Dame
Round 4
3. Beau Bell, MLB/OLB, UNLV
4. Jordy Nelson, WR, Kansas State
Round 5
5. Justin Forsett, RB, California
6. Frank Okam, DT, Texas
Round 6
7. Thomas Williams, MLB/OLB, USC
Round 7
7. Bobbie Williams, S, Bethune-Cookman
8. Marcus Monk, WR, Arkansas
Free Agent: BCarvalho, C, Portland State; ALarson, P/KO, California; CLynch, S, Appalachian State; DDoggett, SS, Oregon State

BOSSHOGG30
03-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Do you guys think Jordy Nelson will fall to the 4th? That would be sweet.

MOtorboat
03-18-2008, 07:23 PM

No...what was his 40 time? I think he's just too fast for teams not to notice...

lex
03-18-2008, 07:27 PM

I wish. I watched his youtube vide again last night and was reminded again of a faster more athletic version of Eddie Mac.

MOtorboat
03-18-2008, 07:29 PM
I wish. I watched his youtube vide again last night and was reminded again of a faster more athletic version of Eddie Mac.

Eddie Mac is definitely a comparison....he's a long strider and speed demon...faster than Eddie Mac...and smart...he'll learn every nuance of an offense. I don't think he's going to be a star, I think he's going to be a solid receiver for 10-12 years.

MOtorboat
03-18-2008, 07:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek0ANQ8bRfo&feature=related

Yes, that's Aqib Talib he just smoked.

dogfish
03-18-2008, 07:31 PM

i wish. . . .

can't see it happening, though. . .

MOtorboat
03-18-2008, 07:33 PM
P.S. I hate Kansas State...

BOSSHOGG30
03-18-2008, 07:49 PM
I want Nelson hard core!

LRtagger
03-18-2008, 08:16 PM
Round 1
1. Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State
Round 2
2. Trevor Laws, DT, Notre Dame
Round 4
3. Beau Bell, MLB/OLB, UNLV
4. Jordy Nelson, WR, Kansas State
Round 5
5. Justin Forsett, RB, California
6. Frank Okam, DT, Texas
Round 6
7. Thomas Williams, MLB/OLB, USC
Round 7
7. Bobbie Williams, S, Bethune-Cookman
8. Marcus Monk, WR, Arkansas
Free Agent: BCarvalho, C, Portland State; ALarson, P/KO, California; CLynch, S, Appalachian State; DDoggett, SS, Oregon State

hi-five for Corey Lynch as a free agent pickup

broncohead
03-19-2008, 07:13 PM
Because of McFadden's history he falls to 12. We trade #12 and Foxworth to Dallas for #22 and #28.

1a. Chris Williams OT- He protected Cutler's blind side in college and he will have the chance to do it again. He will compete with Harris for the LT spot to help build a solid OL.

1b. Kentwan Balmer DT- Fills a need and good value. We need help at DT and what better way then to grab one of the top three in the draft.

2. James Hardy WR- Has good production throughout his college career. Someone who will help out in the red zone. Will create miss matches with Marshall on the other side.

4a. Ahtyba Rubin DT- Is a stong run stuffer which we lack on the DL. May not "wow" anyone but could take on an extra blocker for our LBs to clean house.

4b. Beau Bell OLB- He gets the knod over Goff because of his ability to play all three spots. Adds depth to position with a question mark. KO hasn't ever started and Boss Baily has a hisory of injury.

5a. Eddie Royal WR- Fast and explosive returner. Will boost the special teams. Probably won't be anything more than a #4 WR and a return specialist.

5b. Josh Barrett S- Has great size and speed for a safety. Could easily go in the 4th depending if a team wants to take a chance. Boom or Bust.

6. Xavier Omon RB- Has a ton of production in D2. My sleeper of the draft. Not blazing fast but someone who can come in and tote the rock 25 time a game should Henry have anymore problems.

I don't really know of anyone in the 7th round yet but I assume that we'll grab a kicker and another OL. This of course all depends on if McFadden falls to #12 which isn't that far fetched of a senerio IMO.

lex
03-19-2008, 11:45 PM

7b: ILB Ben Moffitt: knocks are size and athleticism, but he's a high-character guy who has proven he can produce. provides a ST guy and a good backup for years to come. things like "mature, hard worker, non-stop motor" really stand out to me. we need guys who will stay out of the police blotter and set an example of hard work, from the towel-boys to Pat Bowlen.

Im going to call myself out here. I just rewatched the senior bowl and I was impressed with how he was able to move as long as it was straight ahead...lateral movement isnt so great though. But he definitely was mobile enough to get to the 2nd level. Im not sure if Id rather have him at guard or RT though. I think Id rather have him at guard due to his ability to get movement once he gets into his guy at the LOS...it would be really useful in short yardage and he would have help on each side. I then went to the Scott Wright write up on him and I think it dotes on him way too much....but still, theres something there that could be of use to us. Id say Lindys has the description of him that I agree with most to this point.

What prompted me to do it was pulling up youtube videos of Davis and seeing some of the handiwork of the left side of Clemsons Oline...McDuffies not so bad either and I see both commonly slotted for the 5-7th. It wil be interesting to see how Clemsons running game does next year when they lose McDuffie and Richardson.

aberdien
03-20-2008, 10:48 PM
#12 Chris Williams - OT - Vanderbilt
#42 Pat Sims - DT - Auburn
#107 Jamey Richard - C - Buffalo
#116 Quintin Demps - S - UTEP
#131 William Franklin - WR - Missouri
#139 Allen Patrick - RB - Oklahoma
#203 Zack Bowman - CB - Nebraska
#211 Taylor Mehlhaff - K - Wisconsin

Rookie Free Agent Pickups:
Corey McKeon - ILB - Nebraska
Owen Tolson - P - Army
Adam Kraus - OG - Michigan
Jaymar Johnson - WR - Jackson St.

broncohead
03-25-2008, 06:03 PM
I have this in my previous mocks on the thread and know it's far fetched but would be a dream scenerio.

Because McFadden is at #12. Dallas gives us 2 first round picks and we give them #12 and Foxworth.

1a. J. Stewart RB- We need to get back to dominating on the ground. Henry is a liability and he's getting older. Getting a guy that can split carries with Henry to keep his legs fresh for the end of the season is a good idea and eventually take over. Young can't handle more than 10 carries per game without getting dinged up.

1b.Gosder Cherilus OT- Pears did better at LT then RT a couple years ago so him and Harris will duke it out at LT. The looser will challenge Cherilus for RT. I believe Cherilus will sit a year to learn the playbook. Depth and a potential starter for years.

2. DaJuan Morgan S- We could go WR here also but we just signed a FA WR. All of our potential starting safeties next year are getting pretty old with the exception of Abdullah. We need youth at the position.

4a. Ahtyba Rubin DT- A run stuffer that will free up a LB.

4b. Beau Bell OLB/ILB- Adds versitallity and depth. Boss has a history of injury and Niko is a first year starter.

5a. Frank Okam DT- Needs to get to playing weight but is big space eating DT.

5b.William Franklin WR- Outstanding athlete. Can stretch the field. Doesn't have a lot of production but could be a sleeper.

6. Pedro Sosa OL- Is a versatile prospect who could play T, G, and C. We need a center and depth at tackle.

Bored and have nothing to do except speculate. So what do you guys think. I haven't figured out who would be solid picks in the 7th rd. yet. Probably a kicker. Who's a good 7th rd prospect?

shank
03-25-2008, 10:44 PM
I have this in my previous mocks on the thread and know it's far fetched but would be a dream scenerio.

Because McFadden is at #12. Dallas gives us 2 first round picks and we give them #12 and Foxworth.

1a. J. Stewart RB- We need to get back to dominating on the ground. Henry is a liability and he's getting older. Getting a guy that can split carries with Henry to keep his legs fresh for the end of the season is a good idea and eventually take over. Young can't handle more than 10 carries per game without getting dinged up.

1b.Gosder Cherilus OT- Pears did better at LT then RT a couple years ago so him and Harris will duke it out at LT. The looser will challenge Cherilus for RT. I believe Cherilus will sit a year to learn the playbook. Depth and a potential starter for years.

2. DaJuan Morgan S- We could go WR here also but we just signed a FA WR. All of our potential starting safeties next year are getting pretty old with the exception of Abdullah. We need youth at the position.

4a. Ahtyba Rubin DT- A run stuffer that will free up a LB.

4b. Beau Bell OLB/ILB- Adds versitallity and depth. Boss has a history of injury and Niko is a first year starter.

5a. Frank Okam DT- Needs to get to playing weight but is big space eating DT.

5b.William Franklin WR- Outstanding athlete. Can stretch the field. Doesn't have a lot of production but could be a sleeper.

6. Pedro Sosa OL- Is a versatile prospect who could play T, G, and C. We need a center and depth at tackle.

Bored and have nothing to do except speculate. So what do you guys think. I haven't figured out who would be solid picks in the 7th rd. yet. Probably a kicker. Who's a good 7th rd prospect?

i like this. i don't like dajuan morgan a ton (i do, but wouldn't take him). i'm fine sitting on the safeties we have this year and getting a stud next year in a deep safety draft.

i'm pretty ok with our lb depth too, so i wouldn't personally take bell, but wouldn't be mad if we did.

it's funny that you have will franklin, because this is the first version of my mock that i have him, and right after i do it i saw that you have him too :beer: he seems like a talented guy, who could add a deep threat to our offense without sacrificing size like many of the "deep threat" guys in this draft do.

most people have us taking k/p in the 7th. usually when i get to the later rounds i look for OL, because of our history of getting a lot out of late rounders.

i updated my mock again in the failing wake of the dewayne robertson trade. i still make the assumption that foxy will be gone in a trade or as a RFA signing, leaving us with a 3rd. you can see my mock in the sig.

broncohead
03-27-2008, 03:02 PM
i like this. i don't like dajuan morgan a ton (i do, but wouldn't take him). i'm fine sitting on the safeties we have this year and getting a stud next year in a deep safety draft.

i'm pretty ok with our lb depth too, so i wouldn't personally take bell, but wouldn't be mad if we did.

it's funny that you have will franklin, because this is the first version of my mock that i have him, and right after i do it i saw that you have him too :beer: he seems like a talented guy, who could add a deep threat to our offense without sacrificing size like many of the "deep threat" guys in this draft do.

most people have us taking k/p in the 7th. usually when i get to the later rounds i look for OL, because of our history of getting a lot out of late rounders.

i updated my mock again in the failing wake of the dewayne robertson trade. i still make the assumption that foxy will be gone in a trade or as a RFA signing, leaving us with a 3rd. you can see my mock in the sig.

I like your mock talent wise. We don't have a 1 tech. DT. Harrison has character concerns. I would take him in the 4th if he was still there. But i like. We need to get young at safety. I like the staring trio of LBs we have Boss, Niko, and Williams. Niko and Boss have some questions weather they will be healthy or are starting material.

shank
03-27-2008, 07:11 PM
I like your mock talent wise. We don't have a 1 tech. DT. Harrison has character concerns. I would take him in the 4th if he was still there. But i like. We need to get young at safety. I like the staring trio of LBs we have Boss, Niko, and Williams. Niko and Boss have some questions weather they will be healthy or are starting material.

either harrison or okam will give us a 1 technique, which one depends on if we trade down..

wait a year for safety. there is a deep pool next year, we can actually get a baller instead of a scrub. i say wait on lb too for now, i'm ok with webster and winborn as depth.

broncohead
03-27-2008, 07:26 PM
either harrison or okam will give us a 1 technique, which one depends on if we trade down..

wait a year for safety. there is a deep pool next year, we can actually get a baller instead of a scrub. i say wait on lb too for now, i'm ok with webster and winborn as depth.

I know Harrison and Okam are 1 tech DTs but I have concerns with them both. I wouldn't like using a 3rd on Harrison because he has been in trouble with the law, drugs I think. Okam in the 4th wouldn't be bad but I question his desire. There really isn't a whole lot of 1 tech DTs in this draft. I would rather have Rubin and Red Bryant. Bryant may have desire concerns but not as big as Okam.

shank
03-27-2008, 08:51 PM
I know Harrison and Okam are 1 tech DTs but I have concerns with them both. I wouldn't like using a 3rd on Harrison because he has been in trouble with the law, drugs I think. Okam in the 4th wouldn't be bad but I question his desire. There really isn't a whole lot of 1 tech DTs in this draft. I would rather have Rubin and Red Bryant. Bryant may have desire concerns but not as big as Okam.

i have okam in the 5th. i have seen harrison going in a ton of different places, but i thought he was concensus a better talent than rubin (i really like rubin, but until a few days ago 3rd round would be way too high for rubin and i've seen harrison go as high as the early 2nd... i really like rubin, and have seen him go as high as the 3rd in some recent mocks, and would be fine with him instead of harrison if we go that route.

broncohead
03-27-2008, 09:29 PM
I like Harrison talent wise and he is will probably be a better DT then Rubin but character is a big issue. I wouldn't take either in the 3rd. In the 4th it would be a toss up because of the issues that come with Harrison. Red Bryant in the 3rd wouldn't be a bad pick IMO if he is still there.

SmilinAssasSin27
03-27-2008, 09:48 PM
Im going to call myself out here. I just rewatched the senior bowl and I was impressed with how he was able to move as long as it was straight ahead...lateral movement isnt so great though. But he definitely was mobile enough to get to the 2nd level. Im not sure if Id rather have him at guard or RT though. I think Id rather have him at guard due to his ability to get movement once he gets into his guy at the LOS...it would be really useful in short yardage and he would have help on each side. I then went to the Scott Wright write up on him and I think it dotes on him way too much....but still, theres something there that could be of use to us. Id say Lindys has the description of him that I agree with most to this point.

What prompted me to do it was pulling up youtube videos of Davis and seeing some of the handiwork of the left side of Clemsons Oline...McDuffies not so bad either and I see both commonly slotted for the 5-7th. It wil be interesting to see how Clemsons running game does next year when they lose McDuffie and Richardson.

Yeah...his athleticism isn't the issue...it's his desire/drive/lax attitude/killer instinct that is questioned.

lex
03-27-2008, 11:30 PM
Yeah...his athleticism isn't the issue...it's his desire/drive/lax attitude/killer instinct that is questioned.

I dont know. Ive seen him struggle to move laterally, which is something that you tend to focus on when watching a left tackle, which is what he played this year. Id actually take McDuffie too. Try watching some youtube video of James Davis and youll see a lot of dominance by the left side of that OLine which was basically Richardson and McDuffie.

lex
03-27-2008, 11:37 PM
I like Harrison talent wise and he is will probably be a better DT then Rubin but character is a big issue. I wouldn't take either in the 3rd. In the 4th it would be a toss up because of the issues that come with Harrison. Red Bryant in the 3rd wouldn't be a bad pick IMO if he is still there.

Heres the thing on Bryant and I watched him play this year as I spent some time looking at possible Bates style DTs when Bates was in the fold. Basically, Bryant didnt spend as much time on the field as a lot of the other DTs I looked at. He was coming off an injury but it still concerns me. Unfortunately, everything that happens after the season is done in small doses so this isnt apparent in all that goes on after the season. At the Sr Bowl you see a lot of one on one drills and you see guys play over short stretches. In that kind of setting someone who might have trouble with stamina or pacing himself, can better go all out because its understood that everything is in small doses. I just worry, well see a different guy than what we saw at the Senior bowl once Bryant is expected to play for longer stretches of time.

tubby
04-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Please mock me. Here goes nothing.....

1. Chris Williams, OT, Vanderbilt
2. Curtis Lofton, LB, Oklahoma
4. Marcus Harrison, DT, Arkansas
4. Quintin Demps, S, UTEP
5. Chad Rinehart, OG/OT, Northern Iowa
5. Durant Brooks. P, Georgia Tech
6. Taylor Mehlhaff, K, Wisconsin
7. Adrian Arrington, WR, Michigan
7. Todd Blythe, WR, Iowa St

MOtorboat
04-13-2008, 01:38 PM

Had to take two Iowa kids, didn't you :2thumbs:

shank
04-13-2008, 01:45 PM

not the way i'd go, but not too bad. i'm 100% ok waiting on safety and mlb this year in favor of dt and some offense earlier.

i'm ok with spending a 5th on a kicker, but punter in the 5th would be hard to stomach. bring in that rugby kid and don't even need a pick!

BOSSHOGG30
04-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Here is my latest mock:

1st RB Jonathan Stewart Oregon
235-pound man that can run a 4.44 and leap 36.5 inches off the ground. Stewart provides Denver a true #1 back and work horse they’ve longed for. Bobby Turner will finally get a blue collar talent to work with and Stewart will thrive in Denver’s ZBS. (RB, Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois is another option here)

2nd MLB Janathan Goff Vanderbilt
Denver likes Linebackers with speed and Goff was the fastest of the MLB crop. Guys like Mayo and Lofton might be other nice options, but something tells me the Broncos will like Goff’s speed. Goff might fall to the 3rd round, but since Denver doesn’t have a 3rd rounder they will reach just a little to make sure they have a good MLB just in case Kootie doesn’t pan out. (Denver could go safety here too, but I think the signings of McCree and Manuel give them a short term solution)

4th OT Jeremy Zuttah Rutgers
Zuttah is another zone-blocking lineman with good speed for his size. He moves really well and plays hard. He can play almost all offensive lineman positions and gives the Broncos some another lineman that is versatile. (OT, Tony Hills, Texas is another option here.)

4th WR Dexter Jackson Appalachian State
Denver needs a return threat and what better guy than Jackson. A sub 4.4 proves he can bring it to the house. Provides an instant upgrade to Denver’s special teams. Jackson may also provide Denver will another solid slot receiver and a play maker for Cutler.

5th SLB Stanford Keglar Purdue
Keglar is a true SAM linebacker and helped Purdue’s defense greatly. Keglar had good speed and is very athletic. He is one of the hardest hitting linebackers in the draft and plays with a mean streak, something Denver needs on its defense.

5th DT Robertson Jets
Denver trades this pick to the Jets for Robertson and gives themselves and instant play maker on their defensive line.

6th OG Adam Kraus Michigan
Adam Kraus has the quickness and athletic ability to excel in the Broncos ZBS. He is also versatile as he can play Center as well as both Guard positions.

7th K Brandon Coutu Georgia
Coutu has a very strong leg and has improved is accuracy greatly over the past two years. Denver would probably rather have Taylor Mehlhaff, but they don’t want to reach for a kicker with a talent like Coutu is still available.

7th OT Brian Stamper Vanderbilt
Many mocks have Denver taking OT, Chris Williams from Vanderbilt in the 1st round. With all the attention going to Chris Williams, another Vandy lineman is lurking in the shadows. Stamper was also a very talented player as was Williams and Stamper has some super potential. Stamper is super strong and very athletic.

Projected lineup after draft:

QB: Cutler; Ramsey
RB: Stewart; Henry; Young
FB: Sapp; Smith
TE: Graham; Scheffler; Jackson
OT: Harris; Kuper; Pears; Zuttah; Stamper
OG: Hamilton; Holland; Kraus
C: Nalen; Fenton/Weigmann
WR: Marshall; Colbert; Stokely; Jackson; Martinez

DE: Dumervil; Crowder; Engelberger; Ekuban; Moss
DT: Thomas; Roberston; McKinley; Harris/Peterson
SLB: Bailey; Webster; Green
WLB: Williams; Winborn
MLB: Kootie; Goff; Beck
CB: Bailey, Bly, Foxworth, Paymah
SS: Abdullah; Manuel/Rogers
FS: Lynch; McCree
K: Prater; Coutu
P: Paulescu; UDFA

Ziggy
04-13-2008, 09:54 PM
Consider me mocked!

shank
04-13-2008, 11:13 PM
boss, you know i like stewart.

i don't know about goff in the 2nd. i'd prefer mayo or lofton in the 2nd, even if goff is faster. i think there are a lot of people who think he may still be there in the 4th, but i'm with you that he'll go in the 3rd. i don't like reaching that hard for a player, even if i happen to like the player, ya know?

big supporter of drafting zuttah.

i don't care if we need return help, i'd really rather not draft a one trick pony, and that's what i see a 5-9, 180 lb speedster as here in denver. jackson may be a good returner, but he just doesn't 'fit' in our offense. i'd personally sacrifice speed for size/blocking in a wideout, and that's why i'd rather get a CB or RB speedster to return kicks than WR.

i don't know a lot about stanford, but i'd personally address DT (in addition to robertson) before addressing LB in any way.

you know i like coutu, and i like the idea of late round OL, as we seem to usually get a lot out of them.

DenBronx
04-14-2008, 01:31 AM
Round 1
1. Ryan Clady, OT, Boise State (Cutler finally gets protection)
Round 2
2. Trade for CJ or Roy Williams (Cutler needs playmakers)
Round 3
3. Beau Bell, MLB/OLB, UNLV (We trade Foxy and our 7th for a versatile LB)
Round 4
4. Tashard Choice, RB, Georgia (Good burst and power)
Round 5
5. Trade for DT Robertson (This year we finally get a run stuffer)
Round 6
6. Frank Okam, DT, Texas (Depth is never a bad thing)
Round 7
7. Taylor Mehlhaff, K, Wisconsin (With Elam gone it's time to turn the page)

shank
04-14-2008, 02:12 AM
denbronx, with you trades we would have another 4th and 5th rounder.

i have lost my 'boner' for clady, and would prefer albert or williams.
i wouldn't argue with a trade for a playmaker, but it looks unlikely with the news taht we are interested in parker and jackson.
nothing against bell.
if we go late round rb, i would like omon over choice. watched choice at the senior bowl and wasn't all taht impressed.
i'm all for robertson trade
okam would be sweet in the 6th (though i doubt he'd be there, everyone is predicting 5th now, but i bet someone will pull the trigger on him in the 4th)
taylor is good pick.

:salute:

Ziggy
04-14-2008, 11:13 AM
It would take a lot more than a 2nd round pick to pry Roy Williams away from Detroit. I don't think they'd give him up for anything less than a high first round pick +. He's a proven pro bowl receiver that's just coming into his prime.

BOSSHOGG30
04-20-2008, 11:45 AM
I thinnk this mock adresses 4 major areas... OL, DT, RB, and K

Round 1 Jonathan Stewart
Round 2 Sam Baker
Round 4 Jeremy Zuttah
Round 4 Frank Okam
Round 5 Robertson Trade
Round 5 Shawn McMackin
Round 6 Derek Hokey
Round 7 Best available Kicker
Round 7 Luke Dillon

shank
04-20-2008, 04:35 PM
I thinnk this mock adresses 4 major areas... OL, DT, RB, and K

Round 1 Jonathan Stewart
Round 2 Sam Baker
Round 4 Jeremy Zuttah
Round 4 Frank Okam
Round 5 Robertson Trade
Round 5 Shawn McMackin
Round 6 Derek Hokey
Round 7 Best available Kicker
Round 7 Luke Dillon

3 OL and 3 DT looks like saturation drafting again, but i wouldn't mind it. i wish rubin's stock didn't shoot up so much so he'd still be a 4th round option. i don't know much about *Lokey, so i don't know what to say about that, but i don't think you can find a DT that will hurt our group.

Our OL would look pretty damned good with these 3 additions imo. stewart behind a rejuvinated line is a sexy thought.

lex
04-20-2008, 04:51 PM
Because of our free agent signings its more difficult to get a feel for. Its like our free agent signings were such that we could take whoever might fall our way in the 2nd or 4th...for example, if Nelson or Goff were to be there in the 4th, we can take them but wont feel compelled to make a move for them.

omac
04-22-2008, 04:52 AM
Well, here's my first attempt at this seasons draft. I didn't consider trading possitions, though. Also, I have Denver and Houston reaching for some OTs.

1 Miami Dolphins Jake Long OT
2 St. Louis Rams Chris Long DE
3 Atlanta Falcons Matt Ryan QB
4 Oakland Raiders Glenn Dorsey DT
5 Kansas City Chiefs Sedrick Ellis DT
6 New York Jets Darren McFadden RB
7 New England Patriots Vernon Gholston DE
8 Baltimore Ravens Brian Brohm QB
9 Cincinnati Bengals Jonathan Stewart RB
10 New Orleans Saints Keith Rivers OLB
11 Buffalo Bills Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB
12 Denver Broncos Chris Williams OT
13 Carolina Panthers Ryan Clady OT
14 Chicago Bears Rashard Mendenhall RB
15 Detroit Lions Jeff Otah OT
16 Arizona Cardinals Leodis McKelvin CB
17 Minnesota Vikings Derrick Harvey DE
18 Houston Texans Sam Baker OT
19 Philadelphia Eagles Mike Jenkins CB
20 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Limas Sweed WR
21 Washington Redskins Phillip Merling DE
22 Dallas Cowboys Felix Jones RB
23 Pittsburgh Steelers Branden Albert OG
24 Tennessee Titans DeSean Jackson WR
25 Seattle Seahawks Devin Thomas WR
26 Jacksonville Jaguars Kentwan Balmer DT
27 San Diego Chargers Gosder Cherilus OT
28 Dallas Cowboys James Hardy WR
29 San Francisco 49ers Quentin Groves DE
30 Green Bay Packers Kenny Phillips S
New England Patriots (forfeited)
31 New York Giants Antoine Cason CB

lex
04-22-2008, 09:12 PM
OK, the sage wisdom of several on this board finally has reached me, check this mock out and let me know what you think:

2. Anthony Collins, OT, Kansas
4. Jeremy Zuttah, OL, Rutgers
4. Chad Rhinehart, OG, N. Iowa
5. Chris McDuffie, OG, Clemson
5. Barry Richardson, OG, Clemson
6. Brandon Keith, OL, N. Iowa
7. Mike Fladell, OL, Rutgers
7. Doug Legursky, C, Marshall

What do you think?

SmilinAssasSin27
04-22-2008, 09:16 PM
Albert is now projected by some as a top 5 pick. I'm confident he's gone by 12.

lex
04-22-2008, 09:18 PM

Thats sucks...but other than that everything is cool?

SmilinAssasSin27
04-22-2008, 09:42 PM
I'd like to see 1 more OLineman.

tubby
04-22-2008, 10:05 PM
OK, the sage wisdom of several on this board finally has reached me, check this mock out and let me know what you think:

2. Anthony Collins, OT, Kansas
4. Jeremy Zuttah, OL, Rutgers
4. Chad Rhinehart, OG, N. Iowa
5. Chris McDuffie, OG, Clemson
5. Barry Richardson, OG, Clemson
6. Brandon Keith, OL, N. Iowa
7. Mike Fladell, OL, Rutgers
7. Doug Legursky, C, Marshall

What do you think?

Who is Anthony Collins?

SmilinAssasSin27
04-22-2008, 10:10 PM
OT, Kansas

tubby
04-22-2008, 10:10 PM
OT, Kansas

Never heard of him. No way he goes in the 2nd. :coffee:

shank
04-22-2008, 10:16 PM
i hope we go RB at 12 and sam baker drops to 42 due to his pro day.

Assassin's Mock
1-Jeff Otah, OT, Pitt
2-Trevor Laws, DT, Notre Dame
4-Jon Goff, LB, Vanderbilt
5-Ahtyba Rubin, DT, Iowa State
5-Jordy Nelson, WR, Kansas State
6-Marcus Howard, OLB, Georgia
7-Kerry Brown, OG, Appalachian State
7-Jamie Silva, S, Boston College

smilin' i understand being optimistic, but i don't think goff, rubin, nelson, howard, or silva even have a chance to be there at those spots.

omac
04-23-2008, 09:12 PM

Wow, that's saying a lot. Going back from 2007 ..... 29, 23, 32, 46, 33, 30, 17, 37, 55, 26, 10, 14, 32 .... the last time a guard was picked in the top 10 was 1997.

I read that he could also play tackle, but I think the tackles remaining would be more valued in the draft. I hope Denver doesn't get him over a good tackle.