PDA

View Full Version : Broncos-49ers will be only NFL game in Britain in 2010

BroncoAV06
01-26-2010, 04:34 PM
By The Associated Press

Posted: 01/25/2010 08:36:04 AM MST
Updated: 01/25/2010 08:36:12 AM MST

LONDON — The NFL has scrapped plans to play a second regular-season game in Britain next season.

Last week, the league announced that the San Francisco 49ers and Denver Broncos would play at Wembley Stadium on Oct. 31. That will mark the fourth straight season in which the NFL has played a regular-season game in the British capital.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said last year that the league was considering adding a second game. But the NFL said on its Web site that uncertainty related to collective bargaining talks and the current economic climate "were critical factors in our decision not to play a second game in the UK." "Playing one game in the UK is a significant investment. Playing a second game in the UK is an even bigger investment," the NFL said. "Our ambition to bring a second game to the UK is as strong as ever. Once the current uncertainty is resolved, we will be in a strong position to bring multiple games to our UK fan base."

The NFL has played games at Wembley for the last three seasons, with more than 80,000 fans at each game. The first game featured the eventual Super Bowl champion New York Giants beating the Miami Dolphins 13-10. In 2008, the New Orleans Saints beat the San Diego Chargers 37-32. And this season, the New England Patriots defeated the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 35-7 in October.

Aside from Wembley Stadium, Manchester and Glasgow, Scotland, are being looked at as potential venues to host NFL games in the future.

In October, before the New England-Tampa Bay game, Goodell said the idea of eventually putting an expansion team in London was of "tremendous interest" to the NFL. He gave no timeline when such a decision might be taken.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_14263166#ixzz0dkwQRu8f

I am just not a fan of "building" the game over seas with a regular season game. My experiance was so much fun minus the outcome at Invesco Field last year that in my opinion it is a travisty for the fans of either San Fransico or Denver to lose a home game. I understand the money aspect, NFL wants to bring in more money and these games sell out fast if I remember correctly. I guess for one game a year I can live with it..... Can I vote for the Broncos to rotate cities for there regular season games so cities without pro sports teams can see them?

Hockey I understand it, the sport is still regaining traction and its an 82 game season not just 8 home games.

MileHighCrew
01-26-2010, 04:37 PM
That means the Broncos are the only NFL team winning a game in England this year!!!!

CrazyHorse
01-26-2010, 10:07 PM
That means the Broncos are the only NFL team winning a game in England this year!!!!

I hope so. I hate the 49ers and hearing that Joe Montana was the best QB ever. Put Elway on those teams and you'd get the same result, if not better.